PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Predictions - Week 7

carney2
October 11th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Things seem more muddled than ever. No one is separating from the pack.

Saturday, Oct 17

FORDHAM @ Cornell
LAFAYETTE @ Harvard
Yale @ LEHIGH
COLGATE @ GEORGETOWN
Dartmouth @ HOLY CROSS

BUCKNELL vs. Bye

The League went 3-2 vs. OOC this week, bringing the 2009 totals to 15-13.

vs. Big South: 1-1
vs. CAA: 1-2
vs. Independents: 1-0
vs. Ivy League: 7-7
vs. MEAC: 0-1
vs. NEC: 4-2
vs. Pioneer: 1-0

Standings after week 6:

Colgate 1-0 PL, 6-0 Total
Holy Cross 1-0, 4-1
Lafayette 1-0, 4-1
Bucknell 1-0, 3-3
Lehigh 1-0, 1-4
Fordham 0-1, 2-3
Georgetown 0-4, 0-6

letsgopards04
October 11th, 2009, 09:03 AM
FORDHAM @ Cornell - Cornell
LAFAYETTE @ Harvard - Pards are gonna sweep the Ivies this for first time but will not be pretty
Yale @ LEHIGH- Yale
COLGATE @ Georgetown - What to do about G-Town? Last week was their last half shot at a win? Colgate dominates in our nation's capital.
Dartmouth @ HOLY CROSS - Cross bounces back against the Ivy League doormat. Hopefully Keggy shows up in Worcester.

BUCKNELL vs. Bye - I take the Bye if I could but I think Bison score a defensive TD and take it 6-0.

65 Pard
October 11th, 2009, 09:40 AM
PL goes 2-2 vs Ivies.....That's as far as I am sticking my neck out.

Ivytalk
October 11th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Cornell
Harvard (sorrry, Carney...you're going down!)
Yale
Colgate
Holy Cross

carney2
October 11th, 2009, 02:06 PM
FORDHAM @ Cornell
Cornell Each week the opponent says “Is this the week that Fordham breaks out of its 1 ½ year sleepwalk?” Some say that Saturday’s thrashing of Bryant was a sign of siesta interruptus. Then again, maybe not.

LAFAYETTE @ Harvard
Lafayette Is this an outstanding Leopard team or merely another that gives us a flash of brilliance and then rips it away, breaking my heart yet again? Either way, this is the “show me” game on this year’s schedule. I am throwing caution to the wind, and going against The Curse and any semblance of logic, but this team just may have what it takes.

Yale @ LEHIGH
Lehigh Here are two teams going absolutely nowhere. I’ve seen them both and am equally unimpressed. A tepid vote for the home team.

COLGATE @ Georgetown
Colgate The ‘gaters continue not to impress. No matter. The warts will not be revealed this week.

Dartmouth @ HOLY CROSS
Holy Cross Bombs away!!!

breezy
October 11th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Cornell
Harvard
Lehigh
Colgate
Holy Cross

RichH2
October 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM
LU over Yale, one going up and one down. Which is which?
Harvard tight over LC
FU over Cornell
Gate over GU
HC over Dartmouth

colorless raider
October 11th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Fordham
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Colgate
Lafeytte

RichH2
October 11th, 2009, 08:05 PM
cr a PL sweep? Well I'll root for it

jimbo65
October 12th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Rams bloody big red
Pards claw crimson
Hawks talon bulldogs
Raiders sack DC
Crusaders free the holy land

ngineer
October 12th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Cornell seeing red these days, and maroon is a shade of red. Fordham, 33-20

Lafayette won't be able to paak the caaar in the yaaard.. Harvard, 24-17

Lehigh is not a lock to win this, but 'big mo' will be in the house. Lehigh, 24-20

Raiders can't seem to find their ark, but continue to float. Colgate, 35-6

Dominique sings operetta and hits all the high notes. Holy Cross, 42-17

For Bucknell is it's on the 'bye and bye' for the 'bi-sons', whatever their gender.;)

Bogus Megapardus
October 12th, 2009, 08:30 AM
CORNELL over FORDHAM, as penance for the rest of the Rams' ghastly out-of-conference scheduling decisions. 14 - 10.

COLGATE over GEORGETOWN. The Hoyas will win one of these weeks, but not this week. I'll guess 38 - 6.

HOLY CROSS will rebound from the Brown game to handle DARTMOUTH well enough. 31 - 17.

YALE will conquer LEHIGH not simply because the Brown-Panted Ninnies are universally despised but because Yale is a better team - though not by much, regrettably. 21 - 20.

HARVARD will maintain its winning streak over LAFAYETTE. I watched the Pards expend all that they had left in the tank to beat Columbia. Take a breather here, guys - I'd much rather have a sweep over the Patriot League than over our half of the Eight. 27 - 17.

Pard94
October 12th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Things seem more muddled than ever. No one is separating from the pack.

Saturday, Oct 17

FORDHAM @ Cornell
LAFAYETTE @ Harvard
Yale @ LEHIGH
COLGATE @ GEORGETOWN
Dartmouth @ HOLY CROSS

BUCKNELL vs. Bye

The League went 3-2 vs. OOC this week, bringing the 2009 totals to 15-13.

vs. Big South: 1-1
vs. CAA: 1-2
vs. Independents: 1-0
vs. Ivy League: 7-7
vs. MEAC: 0-1
vs. NEC: 4-2
vs. Pioneer: 1-0

Standings after week 6:

Colgate 1-0 PL, 6-0 Total
Holy Cross 1-0, 4-1
Lafayette 1-0, 4-1
Bucknell 1-0, 3-3
Lehigh 1-0, 1-4
Fordham 0-1, 2-3
Georgetown 0-4, 0-6

Fordham over Cornell 21-10 - This game could easily go either way. Picking Fordham as the league homer pickxchinscratchx

Lafayette over Harvard 28-24 - Total nail biter. Lafayette needs this if a truely magical season is to be.:)

Lehigh over Yale 10-7 - If this were at Yale I'd pick Yale to win.xrolleyesx

Colgate over Georgetown 45-3 - Unfortunately for the Hoyas, Colgate is looking for someone to vent their frustrations from all of the heat they are taking for letting Princeton hang with them.xeekx

Holy Cross over Dartmouth 52-10 - Good god this is going to get ugly. Brown did not do Dartmouth any favors. xspankx

RattlerFan70
October 12th, 2009, 09:50 AM
FORDHAM @ Cornell
LAFAYETTE @ Harvard
Yale @ LEHIGH
COLGATE @ GEORGETOWN
Dartmouth @ HOLY CROSS

Pard4Life
October 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Fordham 28, Cornell 24
Harvard 31, Pards 28... something screwy will happen, we have been riding too high and need to be brought down a peg, as is the story with LC football post 1953.
Lehigh 20, Yale 17 gasp!
Colgate 42, Gtown 0 (only because the second team plays)
Holy Cross 38, Dartmouth 21... like I said last week, defense wins championships

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Come on Pard 4 Life..have some faith!!

carney2
October 12th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I watched the Pards expend all that they had left in the tank to beat Columbia.

Did you really watch, or did you just notice the score? If you had truly watched you would have noticed the following:

This was "close" on the scoreboard only. Some stats:

1st downs - LC 26, C 12
Total yards - LC 405, C 294
Time of Possession - LC 36, C 24

Columbia got 2 1st downs total in the 2nd half. Two!

Columbia scored the first 3 times they had the ball. Then, nothing. NOTHING!

Lafayette spent the entire 2nd half beating on Columbia's door, but shooting themselves in the foot time after time: red zone interceptions, missed field goal, etc.

Lafayette took the ball 88 yards in the last 6 minutes under the heading "Will Not Be Denied."

This was not an escape. It was a domination everywhere but the scoreboard.

I can understand this crap from people on this board who saw the final score and "scored with 13 seconds to go to win," but you know this team and you "watched." Fewer potty breaks and trips to the fridge might be called for in the future.

ColgateTD
October 12th, 2009, 11:47 AM
A day without Carney is like a day without happiness...:D

I'm still thinking about this week 7 thing. Lots of close affairs to cogitate on...xreadx

carney2
October 12th, 2009, 12:21 PM
A day without Carney is like a day without happiness...:D

I need you to talk to my wife. Things aren't nearly that cheery around here.

TheValleyRaider
October 12th, 2009, 12:35 PM
5-1 last week (missed HC) moves me to 23-10 on the season

Fordham at Cornell Fordham Is Fordham awake, or are the last two weeks the result of playing a 1st year program and a D-II transitional? Is Cornell really that bad, or can playing in Ithaca propell them to victory? Small dash of Patriot League homerism, but after coming up just short in their last trip Upstate, the Rams outlast an inferior Big Red

Lafayette at Harvard Harvard This was another tough one to pick, but while I like the Leopards to be in the mix for the League title this year, they're playing an even matchup with the Crimson, and I'm giving the edge to the home team

Yale at Lehigh Lehigh Three tough games to pick this week. Lehigh's problems appear to run deeper than confidence, while Yale hardly looks like a worldbeater themselves. Echoing the Lafayette-Harvard pick, I'll take the home team in what looks to be a close matchup

Colgate at Georgetown Colgate Colgate will have had 10 days to hear about how poorly they played at Princeton (and they did!). I'd expect them to come out strong regardless of the opposition, but against a Georgetown team that appears to be collapsing? Let's just say I feel comfortable picking a Raider victory

Dartmouth at Holy Cross Holy Cross Dartmouth does have some skilled players, but nowhere near enough to be competitive on a regular basis. And now one of those, Alex Jenny, is hurt. Oh, and the Crusaders are smarting from their last-second loss at Brown. Barring too much looking ahead to the big showdown with Colgate next week, Gilmore's gang makes quick work of Teevens' trusts

Bogus Megapardus
October 12th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Fewer potty breaks and trips to the fridge might be called for in the future.

I was at the game. Only one potty break, at the half (how I miss those ancient troughs hewn into the bedrock). No fridge available. No binoculars. No radio. Wearing a maroon "old school" cap from the bookstore. With friends and kids. I concede that quite a bit of the game was "social" as it always is - though I practiced my Pardvillian Golf Clap beforehand. I am certain that I was otherwise engaged in conversation for a great many plays, so I certainly missed a few things.

When I was paying attention reasonably well, I saw a Pard team frustrated, expending energy quite unlike the Penn contest, and questioning themselves on the sidelines. I saw CBs who were taller any more atthletic than our receivers, and a running game that could not get the edge. I saw a QB who was pressured and often confused. I saw an otherwise powerful front seven that could not really contain the Lions' very athletic QB.

Sorry, I did not have the stats available to me as I rode the Maroon Aluminum (but at least I don't get splinters anymore). The sunset was nice, though.

The final drive, however, was a masterpiece. For once, as the Pards pillaged their way through the Lions' secondary in the final two minutes, I just *knew* they were going to take this one - and they did.

Kind of a sparse crowd Saturday evening. The campus looks very well groomed, as usual. Got my usual parking spot near the laundromat, which was nice, too.

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Did you really watch, or did you just notice the score? If you had truly watched you would have noticed the following:

1st downs - LC 26, C 12

Lafayette spent the entire 2nd half beating on Columbia's door, but shooting themselves in the foot time after time: red zone interceptions, missed field goal, etc.

Lafayette took the ball 88 yards in the last 6 minutes under the heading "Will Not Be Denied."

I can understand this crap from people on this board who saw the final score and "scored with 13 seconds to go to win," but you know this team and you "watched." Fewer potty breaks and trips to the fridge might be called for in the future.

Wow - you know it is an unusual year when the great Carney is taking this stance. I like it!

Pard94
October 12th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I was at the game. Only one potty break, at the half (how I miss those ancient troughs hewn into the bedrock). No fridge available. No binoculars. No radio. Wearing a maroon "old school" cap from the bookstore. With friends and kids. I concede that quite a bit of the game was "social" as it always is - though I practiced my Pardvillian Golf Clap beforehand. I am certain that I was otherwise engaged in conversation for a great many plays, so I certainly missed a few things.

When I was paying attention reasonably well, I saw a Pard team frustrated, expending energy quite unlike the Penn contest, and questioning themselves on the sidelines. I saw CBs who were taller any more atthletic than our receivers, and a running game that could not get the edge. I saw a QB who was pressured and often confused. I saw an otherwise powerful front seven that could not really contain the Lions' very athletic QB.

Sorry, I did not have the stats available to me as I rode the Maroon Aluminum (but at least I don't get splinters anymore). The sunset was nice, though.

The final drive, however, was a masterpiece. For once, as the Pards pillaged their way through the Lions' secondary in the final two minutes, I just *knew* they were going to take this one - and they did.

Kind of a sparse crowd Saturday evening. The campus looks very well groomed, as usual. Got my usual parking spot near the laundromat, which was nice, too.

Hmmm...that's not the way their own coach tells it. To paraphrase his quote..."their offense just beat our defense. They played better than we did. It's as simple as that." Not suggesting the game was pretty but I think you probably needed to pay more attention to the game and less attantion to where you were peeing.

Incidentally Layton is about as athletic as you get at this level. And the crowd was sparse because the students were on break.

Bogus Megapardus
October 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I think you probably needed to pay more attention to the game.

Nah, I'd rather just sit back, relax an enjoy the atmosphere, and leave it to the experts to tell me why I'm wrong. I might even fork over the bucks for the *premium* seating next year. BTW - anyone hear how they're going to plow up Hamilton Street and turn it into a green? No more idling buses on game day, I suppose.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 12th, 2009, 01:44 PM

No, it wasn't. Lafayette trailed all game - including 21-10 at halftime - and, yes, I did watch it.

Having said that, it was a sort of character-building "not our best performance, but we found a way to win" win that Lehigh can only dream about at this point. Part of that, indeed, was the fact that they overcame their earlier mistakes to get the "W".

But one impressive half and overcoming your own mistakes is not "domination" if you're behind on the scoreboard.

Pard94
October 12th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Nah, I'd rather just sit back, relax an enjoy the atmosphere, and leave it to the experts to tell me why I'm wrong. I might even fork over the bucks for the *premium* seating next year. BTW - anyone hear how they're going to plow up Hamilton Street and turn it into a green? No more idling buses on game day, I suppose.

You're kiddding about Hamilton Street right?

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Where is Hamilton Street? Is that the one that runs along old Alumni Gym (whatits name now?)

carney2
October 12th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Where is Hamilton Street? Is that the one that runs along old Alumni Gym (whatits name now?)

Yes. The street that goes by the entire Kirby complex, past Pfenning Alumni Center and up the hill to old Alumni Gym. This will, I am sure, be very nice, but there go even a few more parking spots in an area that can ill afford to lose them. Any plans to add a few floors to the parking garage which is, I just found out this weekend, completely "booked?" With all of these fat cats being taken care of in the parking garage, it's hard to believe that the program is hard up for money.

carney2
October 12th, 2009, 01:55 PM
No, it wasn't. Lafayette trailed all game - including 21-10 at halftime - and, yes, I did watch it.

Having said that, it was a sort of character-building "not our best performance, but we found a way to win" win that Lehigh can only dream about at this point. Part of that, indeed, was the fact that they overcame their earlier mistakes to get the "W".

But one impressive half and overcoming your own mistakes is not "domination" if you're behind on the scoreboard.

As a warm up to the 3rd week in November, we agree to disagree.

Just found out that my employee's brother is a Squawk. Thinking of firing her.

Bogus Megapardus
October 12th, 2009, 02:07 PM
You're kiddding about Hamilton Street right?

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2/proposedmp.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
October 12th, 2009, 02:16 PM
there go even a few more parking spots in an area that can ill afford to lose them

Except for the Lehigh game every other year (and the annual Easton/Phillipsburg Thanksgiving Day game), the existing street parking isn't so bad. It fits within the character of the institution. You couldn't really park along Hamilton Street anyhow on game day. If I understand the proposed master plan correctly, there will be new parking at the extreme northwesterly part of the campus, down the embankment where the lumber yard used to be.

As a fail-safe, they'll use parking lots at the shopping center up on Sullivan Trail, where Laneco used to be, and shuttle people back and forth. I'd hate to see more on-campus parking. I'd actually like to see less.

LeopardFan04
October 12th, 2009, 02:17 PM
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2/proposedmp.jpg

So the houses on Hamilton St. across from the gym will be demolished? If so, there goes my senior year house...xbawlingx

Pard94
October 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM
More importantly...will this new green be open for tailgating for Lafayette vs. Lehigh.

On non-Rivalry games I suspect such an area could be used for more family focused entertainment (moon bounces, etc.). This idea is beginning to grow on me.

It seems like a hell of a slope. I wonder if they intend to put in some sort of tier effect.

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
What are they showing in the extreme NW part of this rendering? Is that the parking Bogus is talking about? If so, it looks like there will be some sort of tram (see the two square boxes) or am I reading too much into it? Also, they will need to put turnarounds at the end of the streets they are cutting off from Hamilton. Nothing more aggravating than trying to execute a K turn at the end of a cramped block. The residents should push for that for sure!

Bogus Megapardus
October 12th, 2009, 02:46 PM
It seems like a hell of a slope. I wonder if they intend to put in some sort of tier effect.

Tiered, switchback walkways.

What are they showing in the extreme NW part of this rendering?

That will be some additional parking. There will be a new parking garage where Watson Courts now sit. Say goodbye to Watson Courts, of course.

Also, they will need to put turnarounds at the end of the streets they are cutting off from Hamilton. Nothing more aggravating than trying to execute a K turn at the end of a cramped block. The residents should push for that for sure!

Dead-ends, as far as I can tell.

carney2
October 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Any idea as to timing or is this just some vague dream on a drawing board?

Bogus Megapardus
October 12th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Any idea as to timing or is this just some vague dream on a drawing board?

Have a look for yourselves:

http://www.lafayette.edu/community/facilities/Lafayette%20MP%20Report.pdf

Caution: Huge PDF download. Let it load completely before trying to browse through it. This new master plan might even generate enough interest for its own thread.

Pard94
October 12th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Tiered, switchback walkways.

That will be some additional parking. There will be a new parking garage where Sullivan Courts now sits. Say goodbye to Sullivan Courts, of course.

Dead-ends, as far as I can tell.

Where would one view this rendering?

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM
So will there be a tram from Sullivan Courts?

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Holy ***** - we just did a MAJOR hijacking of this thread!

Franks Tanks
October 12th, 2009, 03:12 PM
So the houses on Hamilton St. across from the gym will be demolished? If so, there goes my senior year house...xbawlingx

That would add a nice amount of real estate to campus. Well Lafayette already owns all that property, but it's not "on campus." Destroying the college owned off campus housing also fits into the strategic plan of forcing every student to live in a dorm. They already crushed frats and off campus housing, the college owned off campus will be the next to go.

Go...gate
October 12th, 2009, 04:18 PM

1st downs - LC 26, C 12

Seems to me Lafayette has raised its game throughout the season and is in a position to win the conference based on its usual good running game and tough defense. This last 5 weeks are going to be fun.

Pard94
October 12th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Seems to me Lafayette has raised its game throughout the season and is in a position to win the conference based on its usual good running game and tough defense. This last 5 weeks are going to be fun.

Thanks for bringing us back Gate. Yes...this is as interesting a year as we've had in a long time. Things really get interesting for Lafayette this week.

Pard4Life
October 12th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Wow, nice find Bogus. They were supposed to release this awhile ago. A tram? Haha... Rothkopf's folly returns! He wanted a tram from the bottom of the arch to Easton hall supposedly. How about a switchback railway tram? I hope this means we are expanding the school student body size...

Pard4Life
October 12th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks for bringing us back Gate. Yes...this is as interesting a year as we've had in a long time. Things really get interesting for Lafayette this week.

If there is a darkhorse this year, beware of Fordham, despite their early season results.

Bogus Megapardus
October 13th, 2009, 07:47 AM
A tram?

Look around the country; there are lots of huge campuses with lots of hills. How many have trams? I don't think we'll be seeing a tram.

Nevertheless, I always liked the idea of an incline plane railway from Third Street - it would be almost completely "carbon free" and could be designed by students and highlight the engineering roots of the college. If done correctly, it would be a plus. I'm sure it won't be garish and industrial looking like the ancient Duquesne tram in Pittsburgh.

Pards Rule
October 13th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Bogus, a good blueprint would be the interesting tram used at the Inn at Otter Crest in Otter Rock, Oregon. I emailed them to start to include pics of the tram on the website. http://www.innatottercrest.com/index.htm

Franks Tanks
October 13th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Bogus, a good blueprint would be the interesting tram used at the Inn at Otter Crest in Otter Rock, Oregon. I emailed them to start to include pics of the tram on the website. http://www.innatottercrest.com/index.htm

Perhaps a tram dropping the students off at the field is in order to increase student attendance xlolx

We have one pretty mild hill at Lafayette, the Lehigh students have it much worse-- that hill is burtal.

Pards Rule
October 13th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I know...One of the many reasons I punted Bethlehem in favor of Easton! No, I think the tram would be necessary to facilitate the new parking at Sullivan Court. I mean what old alums are going to want to climb that hill. They need a good tram!

Bogus Megapardus
October 13th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I know...One of the many reasons I punted Bethlehem in favor of Easton! No, I think the tram would be necessary to facilitate the new parking at Sullivan Court. I mean what old alums are going to want to climb that hill. They need a good tram!

My error - the new garage will be where Watson Courts now sit. Watson Courts will be razed.

ColgateTD
October 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
29-4 so far....I'm headin' for Vegas....xlolx

Colgate - should be a blowout
Cornell - tight game- going with the home team
Harvard - tight game - going with the home team
Yale - tight game - going with the road team
Holy Cross - not a tight game

Pards Rule
October 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM
My error - the new garage will be where Watson Courts now sit. Watson Courts will be razed.

God, they really got to make it architecturally compatible. Dont want an ugly garage at doorstep of LC

letsgopards04
October 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM

That was a good house.

LEHIGH61
October 13th, 2009, 10:33 AM
talk on the phone

Pard94
October 13th, 2009, 10:40 AM
In an effort to give this thread back to PL predictions, we've started a thread over on the Lafayette Sports board to talk about Lafayette's Master Plan. It's under the "Whatever Else" section.

LEHIGH61
October 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Gee, Thanks

Bogus Megapardus
October 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Gee, Thanks

Quite welcome. You're still going to lose this weekend, though.

Pard94
October 13th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Quite welcome. You're still going to lose this weekend, though.

and the weekend after that.

Pards Rule
October 13th, 2009, 01:28 PM
And, of course, the weekend before Thanksgiving most notably!!!

LBPop
October 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM
No one is separating from the pack.

Actually, I think one team has...xrolleyesx:(

HoyaMetanoia
October 13th, 2009, 05:19 PM
True LBPop.

And not that it has any impact on Georgetown this season, but former starting QB James Brady is no longer on the team. He is still in school, but is pursuing a transfer to Delaware.

Franks Tanks
October 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM
True LBPop.

And not that it has any impact on Georgetown this season, but former starting QB James Brady is no longer on the team. He is still in school, but is pursuing a transfer to Delaware.

Why would he transfer?

The coaching staff is likely gone after this year giving him a fresh start--he must hate his teamates as well.

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Talk about one play changing a life trajectory: Brady throws an interception with 6:50 in the 4th quarter against Lafayette, with the game all but over at 28-3. The coach puts in a freshman to run out the clock, some hard feelings ensue after the game, Brady falls out of the two deep, leaves the team, and per the report above will leave school. Strange.

colorless raider
October 13th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Talk about one play changing a life trajectory: Brady throws an interception with 6:50 in the 4th quarter against Lafayette, with the game all but over at 28-3. The coach puts in a freshman to run out the clock, some hard feelings ensue after the game, Brady falls out of the two deep, leaves the team, and per the report above will leave school. Strange.

No doubt prompted by the 'helicopter parent' who lost it after the game. Brady has some talent but if I were him I am not sure I would pick Delaware who seem to favor FBS transfers.

ngineer
October 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
No doubt prompted by the 'helicopter parent' who lost it after the game. Brady has some talent but if I were him I am not sure I would pick Delaware who seem to favor FBS transfers.

Good observation. Too many kids have such thin skin these days. It's unbelieveable and due, imo, by the 'helicopter parents' who have kissed their kids asses for 15 years telling them how great they are and running interference for them. I don't see someone with such an attitude being a success anywhere.

ngineer
October 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM
And, of course, the weekend before Thanksgiving most notably!!!

Just storing up all these little snide comments for 11/22...;)

turbodean
October 13th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Per NCAA rules he'll have to be in residence at his new school (Delaware?) for a full year before he can play. So presuming he'll transfer at mid-term, his first season of eligibility becomes fall of 2011. He would then have 2 remaining seasons left. There awaiting him will be 3 current freshman QB's which would by then be juniors. Is he that good and are those 3 that bad that delaware coach would upset the existing ranks over?

Delaware can't talk to him until he secures a release from Georgetown. Quiting, getting released, and receiving offer (?) all sure happened pretty quickly. The only thing he gained by quiting mid-season is to be "on the market" before some other candidates. He cant play any sooner. On the downside is quiting mid-season. Hmm...

I'm not an expert on the transfer rules, but that is how they were explained to me. Please correct me if I'm wrong on some point.

FUrams7
October 14th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I did see James Brady play twice in high school and both times thought he was impressive (a high 1aa, low 1A talent). he is only 6'0 but great arm and good feet. sorry it didnt work out for him at G'Town.. im sure losing isnt easy. he also came from a terrific high school program in long island, ny.. st anthonys.. were losses were few.. he was on the radar on some 1A programs when he graduated.. if look up scout or rivals.com.

anyway,
Fordham would be happy to have u... James :)

CFBfan
October 14th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I did see James Brady play twice in high school and both times thought he was impressive (a high 1aa, low 1A talent). he is only 6'0 but great arm and good feet. sorry it didnt work out for him at G'Town.. im sure losing isnt easy. he also came from a terrific high school program in long island, ny.. st anthonys.. were losses were few.. he was on the radar on some 1A programs when he graduated.. if look up scout or rivals.com.

anyway,
Fordham would be happy to have u... James :)

and, although Kempf has a nice arm, Brady is a much better athlete. While Brady has very good feet and can run, Kempf does not and can not. And Brady did throw a nice ball. Here again blame an incompetent OC who had Brady just sitting in a non-existent pocket to get hammered instead of desigining rollouts and sprintouts for the mobile QB with a nice arm so he could create some time to throw! Kemp is not mobile so now what do you do?? Kempf would do well behind a very good line where he could sit back and throw, Brady or any other mobile QB would fair better at Georgetown if only the OC and HC had a clue!!

Pard94
October 14th, 2009, 08:30 AM
This all seems very strange. If the kid was truely a potential IA, "high I-AA" talent the only reason he would pick Georgetown is for education (wise move on his part). I would also suggest that if he had that kind of talent he would remain the starter for the Hoyas as well. Unless the coaching staff is completely incompetent and professionally suicidal you don't let a stud QB ride the pine to the point that he transfers. If he can't make it at Georgetown he's very likely not going to make it at Delaware. And while Delaware is a fine school...it aint Georgetown academically. I think the kid would be better served to quit football if he must but stay at Georgetown for the degree. Of course that's just my humble opinion.

CFBfan
October 14th, 2009, 09:01 AM
This all seems very strange. If the kid was truely a potential IA, "high I-AA" talent the only reason he would pick Georgetown is for education (wise move on his part). I would also suggest that if he had that kind of talent he would remain the starter for the Hoyas as well. Unless the coaching staff is completely incompetent and professionally suicidal you don't let a stud QB ride the pine to the point that he transfers. If he can't make it at Georgetown he's very likely not going to make it at Delaware. And while Delaware is a fine school...it aint Georgetown academically. I think the kid would be better served to quit football if he must but stay at Georgetown for the degree. Of course that's just my humble opinion.

Pard94, I couldn't agree with you more. He is not a "stud" QB and IMO would not be a very good 1A QB. That being said, he looked like a nice 1AA QB, athletic with a nice arm.....not great arm a nice arm. I don't know if he didn't play after the Lafayette game because of the coaches or other reasons. If for other reasons IMO he made a mistake. If it was the coaches then it's just another ridiculous move in a long line of ridiculous moves for the offense. We may never know?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 14th, 2009, 10:10 AM
As a Lehigh fan who has seen Georgetown's "O" line, it's hard to fathom why Kelly would actively choose to go with a pure dropback passer versus someone more athletic that can make some defenders miss. At the FCS level, "athletic with a nice arm, not a great arm" can carry you on a championship run (UNI's Pat Grace, Richmond's Eric Ward, UNH's Ricky Santos). I'm not saying, of course, that G'Town would become championship contenders as a result, but you'd think that an athletic QB would help their cause.

CFBfan
October 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM
As a Lehigh fan who has seen Georgetown's "O" line, it's hard to fathom why Kelly would actively choose to go with a pure dropback passer versus someone more athletic that can make some defenders miss. At the FCS level, "athletic with a nice are, not a great arm" can carry you on a championship run (UNI's Pat Grace, Richmond's Eric Ward, UNH's Ricky Santos). I'm not saying, of course, that G'Town would become championship contenders as a result, but you'd think that an athletic QB would help their cause.

yes, exactly my point. No PL championships but at least competitive football!!
any coach with a clue puts his players in the best possible situation he can to win so it seems like there is "cluelessness" here. In fact of all the QB's, (and this is NOT a knock on Kempf, he has a big arm and does well in the pocket GTown jsut doesn't have a pocket!) Kempf seems to be the least athletic.....IMO

LBPop
October 14th, 2009, 01:37 PM

I think the previous comments about "helicopter parents" are probably quite accurate. If a father is willing to openly shout at a college coach in front of the home crowd and risk humiliating his son, he is likely making the decisions regardless of his son's wishes. In my experience the parents are often worse than the kids as they follow them around with a portfolio of their son's high school clippings. From the time the kid signs with the college, the parents are preparing their remarks for their post game interviews with the local press.

Having said that, I had heard that some very high profile college coaches said that Brady was clearly I-A material if it were not for his height. That is the template for top I-AA players--they are usually a step slow, or too small for I-A. As for this coach, he has firmly established his pattern of falling in and out of love on a weekly basis. There are many examples, but none better than Charlie Houghton.

jimbo65
October 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
What Sugar Ray Richardson said about the Knicks many years ago when things were deteriorating seems (unfortunately) to apply to GTown fball today". "The ship do be sinkin".

Bogus Megapardus
October 14th, 2009, 01:47 PM
And the winner of this year's most-hijacked thread award goes to . . . .

HoyaMetanoia
October 15th, 2009, 08:11 AM
The funny thing is, last year we were complaining about having too many quarterbacks, now we only have 3.

Newman graduated, Brady is transferring, Keerome switched to the slot, John O'Leary was terrible in the spring game in his one snap and was moved to WR, David King played QB in HS but switched to WR as soon as he got on campus, Nick White was in a similar boat but switched to TE and then left the school, and Brice Plebani left the team.

RichH2
October 15th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Gee, one of the best hijacks in recent memoryxnodx, fascinating insight into a program that looked to be getting a bit better but went in the opposite direction. Did think Brady could have added some much needed O with his ability to run and pass. Wish him better luck at his next school. Guess GU is not the upset special this weekxsmhx

Bogus Megapardus
October 15th, 2009, 09:26 AM
The funny thing is, last year we were complaining about having too many quarterbacks, now we only have 3.

Newman graduated, Brady is transferring, Keerome switched to the slot, John O'Leary was terrible in the spring game in his one snap and was moved to WR, David King played QB in HS but switched to WR as soon as he got on campus, Nick White was in a similar boat but switched to TE and then left the school, and Brice Plebani left the team.

Ouch. It seems like the University has the will to field a PL-competitive team, and that the students will support a team if there's a sniff of a potential victory. If the players themselves are not content, I'd say that the coaching staff has to look inward.

PL fans truly want to see the Hoyas succeed (against other PL schools, not their own, of course).

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Gee, one of the best hijacks in recent memoryxnodx, fascinating insight into a program that looked to be getting a bit better but went in the opposite direction.

I think other PL fans were always a bit presumptuous in that "getting better" assumption, because it's been much of the same for the last six years (last two of Benson+ 4 years Kelly).

The earlier teams might have won an extra non-conference game or two with a little less competition (St. Francis, VMI, Duquesne instead of Richmond, Yale, and Howard) but still haven't been close in conference play. And while we don't know what recruiting or other behind the scenes issues at play, but there has been a consistent pattern of hiccups on offense:

The talented HS quarterback who leaves the team early
Keith Allan >> Ben Hostetler >> James Brady

The running back who doesn't get enough carries as an upperclassman
Erik Carter >> Emir Davis >> Charlie Houghton

The promising offensive line prospect that doesn't pan out
Jim Elliott >>Thomas Hutton >>Luke Warring >> Trip Watson

The changing offensive priorities
Run >> Spread >> Option >> Short Passing

Some of this predates Kelly's staff but the same problems remain.

RichH2
October 15th, 2009, 09:59 AM
The question is will they be able to field a competitive team with this staff. Probably not , will GU put in adequate resources to hire new coach and revive program? All of this in a down economy with a relatively small endownment?

DFW , tracking GU recruits over the last 4 years, a fair number of very good players and particularly offense skill positions. As recounted here many have left or not been utilized. Very few OL. Even with that Brady and Houghton alone gave GU some pop on O. It is a shame that current staff seems stuck in neutral. GU presents no challenge to anyone now.

CFBfan
October 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
The question is will they be able to field a competitive team with this staff. Probably not , will GU put in adequate resources to hire new coach and revive program? All of this in a down economy with a relatively small endownment?

DFW , tracking GU recruits over the last 4 years, a fair number of very good players and particularly offense skill positions. As recounted here many have left or not been utilized. Very few OL. Even with that Brady and Houghton alone gave GU some pop on O. It is a shame that current staff seems stuck in neutral. GU presents no challenge to anyone now.

and I would argue that if another coaching staff, another PL coaching staff had this team it would be playing very competitive football and both Brady and Houghton would be having solid seasons........

RichH2
October 15th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Could be true. Certainly, the skills GU has recruited just the last 2 years would scorepoints if not win. I have been saying that I expected GU to start upsetting people last year . I guess not with this coach. Seemsto be a very good recruiter. But the O , which might be OK if your team is dominant athletically, is bland throwing all the burden on your D which is not bad actually.

HoyaMetanoia
October 15th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Could be true. Certainly, the skills GU has recruited just the last 2 years would scorepoints if not win. I have been saying that I expected GU to start upsetting people last year . I guess not with this coach. Seemsto be a very good recruiter. But the O , which might be OK if your team is dominant athletically, is bland throwing all the burden on your D which is not bad actually.

Kelly isn't a good recruiter, the school recruits well on its own.

CFBfan
October 15th, 2009, 10:25 AM

yes, i would agree at least in our experience GU was not nearly as srtong at recruiting as other schools were, it was the school and the location.....imagine if GU had a strong recruiter! and dare I say a good staff!!

RichH2
October 15th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Perhaps ,but I rather doubt that any school ,even Hahvahd, can get players w/o going out and getting them. Sure GU just by its excellent reputation will attract lots of students not necessarily a team.

If that is the philosophy at GU no wonder they are so bad

CFBfan
October 15th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Perhaps ,but I rather doubt that any school ,even Hahvahd, can get players w/o going out and getting them. Sure GU just by its excellent reputation will attract lots of students not necessarily a team.

If that is the philosophy at GU no wonder they are so bad

I think that we are all saying the same thing here......

Franks Tanks
October 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM

From my somewhat limited knowledge of Georgetown (basically what I see from them when they play Lafayette, and what is expressed on this board). Kevin Kelly seems like a terrible coach in all aspects.

He seems to lack leadership skills and therefore cannot stick to a consistent plan for the program. As we all know large projects, like truning around and building a FB program, require a solid plan and hard work to execute the plan. Kelly seems very wishy-washy and lacks a clear plan and program philsosphy. Kids on his teams seem confused, frustrated, and overall just lack confidence in him and the assistants. He frankly need to go, and the Hoya's need either a proven program builder who has had success at a high aceadmic D-III school, or a young energetic coach.

MDFAN
October 15th, 2009, 12:29 PM
and I would argue that if another coaching staff, another PL coaching staff had this team it would be playing very competitive football and both Brady and Houghton would be having solid seasons........

They could have Landis from Bucknell....a "Proven" track record in turning around programs..xlolx

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I think it's easy to pile on any coach with Kelly's record (5-32) but a little history is in order.

Kelly was the first hire of Bernard Muir, the former associate AD for football at Notre Dame who was up-front in selling the potential of football at Georgetown. It was two years ago that Muir was front and center in the NY Times sports page about the upward trajectory of the program at Georgetown:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/13/sports/ncaafootball/13georgetown.html?_r=1

Not much has changed on the field, but I don't think Kelly got the support going forward that Muir hoped to deliver. The budget was flat since 2006, the MSF did not go anywhere under Muir's watch, and Muir was pulled in other directions which ultimately led to his abrupt departure for Delaware this April. The staff has been practically unchanged in 3 years which may more illustrative of the holding pattern the program is in, esp. with no permanent AD since Muir left.

Recruiting wise, Kelly can only sell the academics right now, and locally Georgetown has very little presence in the DC recruiting community (Only 7 kids on the team are from DC, MD, or VA). It's always easier to build locally where you can see talent develop than rely on game films across the country. Between the budget gap, the never-built facilities (including the absence of training rooms), and the record, that's a tough sell for any coach. Difficult? Yes. Impossible? No.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I think it's easy to pile on any coach with Kelly's record (5-32) but a little history is in order.

Kelly was the first hire of Bernard Muir, the former associate AD for football at Notre Dame who was up-front in selling the potential of football at Georgetown. It was two years ago that Muir was front and center in the NY Times sports page about the upward trajectory of the program at Georgetown:

Not much has changed on the field, but I don't think Kelly got the support going forward that Muir hoped to deliver. The budget was flat since 2006, the MSF did not go anywhere under Muir's watch, and Muir was pulled in other directions which ultimately led to his abrupt departure for Delaware this spring.

Recruiting wise, Kelly can only sell the academics right now, and locally Georgetown has very little presence in the DC recruiting community (Only 7 kids on the team are from DC, MD, or VA). It's always easier to build locally where you can see talent develop than rely on game films across the country. Between the budget gap, the never-built facilities (including the absence of training rooms), and the record, that's a tough sell for any coach. Difficult? Yes. Impossible? No.

Are there any examples out there of a successful football program that is grossly underfunded with poor facilities? I can't think of any....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2009, 01:08 PM
5-1 last week, 23-9 overall on the year.

Fordham 31 Cornell 27: This is tough game to pick imo. Fordham hasn't beaten anyone of note. Cornell hasn't been setting the world on fire either. I'll go with Skelton and the Rams

Colgate 42 Georgetown 7: The Hoya's are a joke. 'Gate's biggest concern should be getting out of DC healthy.

Holy Cross 35 Dartmouth 13: The Big Green are the perfect remedy following a tough loss against Brown. The fighting Buddy Teevens seem to be heading nowhere fast.

Harvard 27 Lafayette 21: This is a very tough game to pick. If it was in Easton i'd go with the home team. As it is i can see the 'Pards stub their toe once more before PL league play starts.

Yale 20 Lehigh 13: I just can't see Lehigh winning this game. Coen's record against the Ivies is dreadful including 0-2 against the Eli. The defense battles all day but the offense lets them down.

Pard4Life
October 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM
The ironic thing is that we play better on the road than at home.

CFBfan
October 15th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Not much has changed on the field, but I don't think Kelly got the support going forward that Muir hoped to deliver. The budget was flat since 2006, the MSF did not go anywhere under Muir's watch, and Muir was pulled in other directions which ultimately led to his abrupt departure for Delaware this April. The staff has been practically unchanged in 3 years which may more illustrative of the holding pattern the program is in, esp. with no permanent AD since Muir left.

but...i would argue that there is enough talent on the team to play competetive football and actualy win games. I don't think that I am stretching it when I say that the current roster could certainly be 3 - 3 right now BUT, the talent has not been used well at all.

Fordham
October 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
but...i would argue that there is enough talent on the team to play competetive football and actualy win games. I don't think that I am stretching it when I say that the current roster could certainly be 3 - 3 right now BUT, the talent has not been used well at all.

could be or should be?

i remember some of the games when we first moved up from DIII to I-AA. We took some very healthy, character-building-type beatings but we always walked off feeling like if certain things had gone our way or we were just a bit more consistent, we could have pulled it out and won. Of course, there was no way we should have won pretty much every one of them ...

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM
i remember some of the games when we first moved up from DIII to I-AA. We took some very healthy, character-building-type beatings but we always walked off feeling like if certain things had gone our way or we were just a bit more consistent, we could have pulled it out and won.

Unfortunately, Georgetown can't make that argument. It's been in I-AA 17 years now, eight in the PL.

HoyaMetanoia
October 15th, 2009, 03:52 PM
From my somewhat limited knowledge of Georgetown (basically what I see from them when they play Lafayette, and what is expressed on this board). Kevin Kelly seems like a terrible coach in all aspects.

He seems to lack leadership skills and therefore cannot stick to a consistent plan for the program. As we all know large projects, like truning around and building a FB program, require a solid plan and hard work to execute the plan. Kelly seems very wishy-washy and lacks a clear plan and program philsosphy. Kids on his teams seem confused, frustrated, and overall just lack confidence in him and the assistants. He frankly need to go, and the Hoya's need either a proven program builder who has had success at a high aceadmic D-III school, or a young energetic coach.

I don't think anyone could describe Kelly as wishy-washy, at least in the sense I interpret it. He's an abrasive, no-nonsense disciplinarian who has more punishments for in-house mistakes, with the absence of any rewards, than any coach I've ever heard of. There's no Offensive, Defensive or Scout Team player of the week. But there are a lot of up-downs, early wake-ups for punishments runs before an already early practice schedule (6:15 am) and verbal tirades at practice for things like not wearing the right sweats, asking to study in the press box during practice after a season ending injury (rather than sitting on the sidelines) or trying to leave practice early to get to class on time. Things like these have run off a lot of quality players and quality kids, and have resulted in him not being particularly well liked by the majority of his own players.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I don't think anyone could describe Kelly as wishy-washy, at least in the sense I interpret it. He's an abrasive, no-nonsense disciplinarian who has more punishments for in-house mistakes, with the absence of any rewards, than any coach I've ever heard of. There's no Offensive, Defensive or Scout Team player of the week. But there are a lot of up-downs, early wake-ups for punishments runs before an already early practice schedule (6:15 am) and verbal tirades at practice for things like not wearing the right sweats or trying to leave practice early to get to class on time. Things like these have run off a lot of quality players and quality kids, and have resulted in him not being particularly well liked by the majority of his own players.

Does the school care enough to make a change?

Franks Tanks
October 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I don't think anyone could describe Kelly as wishy-washy, at least in the sense I interpret it. He's an abrasive, no-nonsense disciplinarian who has more punishments for in-house mistakes, with the absence of any rewards, than any coach I've ever heard of. There's no Offensive, Defensive or Scout Team player of the week. But there are a lot of up-downs, early wake-ups for punishments runs before an already early practice schedule (6:15 am) and verbal tirades at practice for things like not wearing the right sweats or trying to leave practice early to get to class on time. Things like these have run off a lot of quality players and quality kids, and have resulted in him not being particularly well liked by the majority of his own players.

The guy cant stick with a QB, an offensive system, or game plan for any length of time it appears. It is clear he has no long term plan for the program from a systemic standpoint.

CFBfan
October 15th, 2009, 04:01 PM
could be or should be?

i remember some of the games when we first moved up from DIII to I-AA. We took some very healthy, character-building-type beatings but we always walked off feeling like if certain things had gone our way or we were just a bit more consistent, we could have pulled it out and won. Of course, there was no way we should have won pretty much every one of them ...

wasn't looking for symantecs......could be 6 -0 SHOULD be at least 3 - 3. Brady and Houghton SHOULD be having good seasons. Does that help you???

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM
wasn't looking for symantecs......could be 6 -0 SHOULD be at least 3 - 3. Brady and Houghton SHOULD be having good seasons. Does that help you???

Well one could argue that a better use of talent and Lehigh isn't 1-4 either. The coaching at Bucknell, Lehigh and Georgetown stinks and Massella at Fordham hasn't set the world on fire either.

SoCalAg
October 15th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Go Crusaders....make my dad (alum from 1960), win out and make the freakin' playoffs

Bogus Megapardus
October 15th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Georgetown has very little presence in the DC recruiting community (Only 7 kids on the team are from DC, MD, or VA).

Yet Lafayette always seek more recruits from outside its traditional PA/NJ/NY/MD circle. Maybe the Pards and the Hoyas can make a little back-room deal here . . . .

RichH2
October 15th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Most of the PL has expanded to Natl recruiting to get kids who can compete and still get admission with the increasingly higher academic requirements ofmost PL schools The new PL wide AI floor should help most schools increase the pool of qualified kids. LU now gets recruits from Cal, Fl, Mich.Nev Ariz etc. While a local connection is nice, it is no longer possible. No local area has enuf kids who can compete FCS and in academics . LU used to get the majority of it s recruits from NJ and Eastern Penn. While we still get a good portion not nearly enuf for each yr.

Fordham
October 15th, 2009, 06:11 PM

doesn't help much since reading your PL contributions show someone who seems to have more of an axe to grind imo than honest evaluations of the Hoya program.

example that I believe will reinforce my statement:

i imagine that Howard and Bucknell are two of the "should have won" games. For now, let's set aside the fact that those two are at least arguable - who's your 3rd clear 'should have won' that would have the Hoyas at 3 - 3 right now?

Pards Rule
October 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
What is the Vegas spread for Lafayette-Harvard??

carney2
October 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
What is the Vegas spread for Lafayette-Harvard??

Strange week. Here we are at almost noon on Friday and no one that I know of has posted any line for FCS games. We had a line earlier for Thursday's game between, I believe, Howard and Morgan State, but it was taken down. If anyone has better information, be my guest.

RichH2
October 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
could not find one

CrusaderBob
October 16th, 2009, 03:45 PM
A lot of chatter unrelated to picking this week. But that's OK. It's been interesting.

5 -1 last week - damn you Brown for reviving the ghost of HC defenses past in the second half! xnonono2x

24 - 9 on the season.

Lotta tough games to pick this week. A couple, not so much. Leaning toward the home teams in the close ones. Unfortunately for the PL, those inclinations, favor the Ivy. And the other close one where I see a road team winning, also favors the Ivy. Ugggh!

The picks.

Cornell - Rams still in a funk.
Harvard - Cheer up 'Pard fans, I think I've picked a grand total of 1 Lafayette game correctly all season! I believe in carney's curse theorem.
Yale - Who knows. Counting on the carney curse theorem to travel across the Lehigh Valley
Colgate - Tune up for the big game in Worcester next week.
Holy Cross - Tune up (and a get back on track week) for the big game in Worcester next week.

Pards Rule
October 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
A lot of chatter unrelated to picking this week. But that's OK. It's been interesting.

5 -1 last week - damn you Brown for reviving the ghost of HC defenses past in the second half! xnonono2x

24 - 9 on the season.

Lotta tough games to pick this week. A couple, not so much. Leaning toward the home teams in the close ones. Unfortunately for the PL, those inclinations, favor the Ivy. And the other close one where I see a road team winning, also favors the Ivy. Ugggh!

The picks.

Cornell - Rams still in a funk.
Harvard - Cheer up 'Pard fans, I think I've picked a grand total of 1 Lafayette game correctly all season! I believe in carney's curse theorem.
Yale - Who knows. Counting on the carney curse theorem to travel across the Lehigh Valley
Colgate - Tune up for the big game in Worcester next week.
Holy Cross - Tune up (and a get back on track week) for the big game in Worcester next week.

Bob, this would be the Georgetown game I suppose???

Go...gate
October 16th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Fordham 27, Cornell 24

Lafayette 16, Harvard 14

Yale 21, Lehigh 16

Colgate 36, Georgetown 17

Holy Cross 44, Dartmouth 24

RichH2
October 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Perceptionsof PL. Just listening to Peter King of SI preview the Giants-Saints game on ESPN. He compared the Giants 3 prior woeful opponents as "Bucknell,Lehigh and Colgate" Guess we have become a national symbol for weak football

Franks Tanks
October 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Perceptionsof PL. Just listening to Peter King of SI preview the Giants-Saints game on ESPN. He compared the Giants 3 prior woeful opponents as "Bucknell,Lehigh and Colgate" Guess we have become a national symbol for weak football

Peter King is the biggest douche is sports journalism today. (Next to Bill Simmons--sorry Cross fans)

His daughter graduated from Colgate two years ago (I believe) so he must be somewhat familiar with the PL.

RichH2
October 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Agree with the description of King, but PL has enuf identity issues w/o him piling on.

ngineer
October 16th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Typical 'national snide' sports writer. Cannot describe the strength of a team without putting someone else down, but why worry about a gnat on the horizon?

Go...gate
October 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM

And he was a Colgate parent. xnonono2x

ngineer
October 16th, 2009, 08:21 PM
And he was a Colgate parent. xnonono2x

Obviously still smarting over the tuition bill..:D

RichH2
October 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Clearly Gate did not charge him enufxnonox

Bogus Megapardus
October 16th, 2009, 09:56 PM

What - King had no love for the Pards? I feel so left out . . . .

RichH2
October 16th, 2009, 09:57 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolx Very good !

Pard4Life
October 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM
What - King had no love for the Pards? I feel so left out . . . .

No he is saving the Pards comparison to the Saints for next week.

Franks Tanks
October 16th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Have I mentioned that Peter King sucks- well he does.

I wish that fat boy would shut up. I hate when sports writers who never played sports are hyper critical of athletes like its so easy. This is what Peter King does and the reason why Peter King sucks.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 16th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Have I mentioned that Peter King sucks- well he does.

I wish that fat boy would shut up. I hate when sports writers who never played sports are hyper critical of athletes like its so easy. This is what Peter King does and the reason why Peter King sucks.

Colin Cowherd took a shot at Colgate today on Sportsnation. He was talking about the preseason and how the owners charge full price for tickets. He basically said it's a joke that they charge $80 so fans can watch 3rd stringers from Colgate play.

Franks Tanks
October 17th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Colin Cowherd took at shot at Colgate today on Sportsnation. He was talking about the preseason and how the owners charge full price for tickets. He basically said it's a joke that they charge $80 so fans can watch 3rd stringers from Colgate play.

Ouch.. I actually love Cowherd but he makes some bonehead comments now and then and that was one of them. Why has the PL become the whipping boy all of a sudden?

Pard94
October 17th, 2009, 07:41 AM
It's funny because Peter Pumpkinhead I am sure would wax poetic about the Ivy and Patriot leagues if given that assignment. I can just hear him going on an on about priorities and players being motivated by the love of the game. Hell he eluded to such things numerous times when his daughter was at Colgate.

It's really nothing short of mild hipocracy. Whatever, it's already been said on this board and it bears repeating..most of these guys couldn't make their high school freshman football teams. For that matter most of these guys coldn't get into a PL school. xrolleyesx

Bogus Megapardus
October 17th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Is there such thing as "bad publicity?"

carney2
October 17th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Under the heading Why Not Wait 'til After The Games, we finally have the line:

Cornell 1 1/2 over FORDHAM

Harvard 5 1/2 over LAFAYETTE

Yale 1 over LEHIGH

COLGATE 24 over GEORGETOWN

HOLY CROSS 25 1/2 over Dartmouth

carney2
October 17th, 2009, 09:22 AM
So much talk of crappy weather in the northeast that a peek at the weather is merited:

FORDHAM @ Cornell - Highs in the upper 30s; chance of rain 60%

LAFAYETTE @ Harvard - Mostly cloudy; chance of rain 20%; winds 10-15 mph

Yale @ LEHIGH - Highs in the low 40s; chance of rain 100%; winds 5 - 10 mph

COLGATE @ GEORGETOWN - Highs in the mid 40s; chance of rain 100%; winds 15 - 20 mph

Dartmouth @ HOLY CROSS - Highs in the upper 40s; cloudy; chance of rain 20%; winds 10 mph

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I almost didn't get my picks in!

Sources:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/10/game-preview-yale-at-lehigh.html

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/10/16/the-csn-way-the-wild-wild-west?blog=5

Yale at Lehigh. What an enigma. You could make a case that Lehigh could have a 2-2 record (at least) if they had Yale's schedule, while Yale would be no better than 2-2 with Lehigh's schedule as well. How much has Lehigh improved? How far along is Yale in Year One of the Williams era? So many questions...

On a perfect day, it would be tempting to take Yale, but Lehigh's ability to establish the ground game may be what pays dividends this weekend. In rain and wind, Lehigh's backs are in a better position to make hay than Yale's at this point - provided, of course, that Lehigh can keep the mistakes down and play with emotion and unity of purpose? Will they?

Lehigh 12, Yale 9

Lafayette at Harvard. The Leopards, riding high after their come-from-behind 24-21 victory over Columbia last weekend, saw quarterback Rob Curley overcome his mistakes to refuse to lose. But Lafayette has had no recent success against Harvard - they have lost the last eight meetings against the Crimson - and Harvard seems to have hit its stride behind quarterback Collier Winters and a punishing, deep running back unit. The Leopards will show serious grit - but once again come up short as Harvard wins their fourth straight.

Not Jonathan Winters 27, Not Curley Queues 17

No. 17 Colgate at Georgetown. The Raiders get ten days of rest for this? Running back Nate Eachus should run roughshod over Georgetown’s overmatched defense in this one.

Eachus Feature 37, Hoya Roadkill 6

Dartmouth at No. 25 Holy Cross. A mad Holy Cross team - fresh off their first loss of the season, a 34-31 shocker to Brown - isn’t likely to let down against winless Dartmouth. Watch for a mad team to rack up points early and often.

Purple Defense Eaters 56, Mixed Greens 0

BONUS PICK:

Fordham at Cornell. In a notoriously tough place to play, look for Skelton and the Rams to come back to reality. One thing Cornell can do well is create turnovers; that should be enough.

Bigger Red 36, Skelton's Skeletons 21

Bogus Megapardus
October 17th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Harvard/Lafayette game is underway; Pards up 14 - 0. That tip drill pays off, huh?