PDA

View Full Version : SFA-McNeese Game Thread

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2009, 07:19 PM
An SFA team looking to gain respect nationally...

A McNeese team that is after the 'Stunner in San Marcos', perhaps the favorite to claim the conference...

SFA leads 14-0 in the waning minutes of the second quarter.

Will the national media (i.e. Dave Coulson) join me on the Moses/SFA bandwagon (yep - I got on two weeks ago as I think they can win the conference) if they get the win at home against the Pokes?

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2009, 07:24 PM
SFA looks good and McNeese is making a lot of mistakes. Before I quit being able to get it on the internet they had a series where they had a TD run then two other big plays in a row called back on three consecutive penalties; including one that was essentially wiped out by dead ball personal foul.

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2009, 07:25 PM
14-0 HALF

Fourroux has been sacked three times and from the looks of it, SFA has built a home in the Pokes backfield. Quite a few players have gotten TFLs tonight and big #49 (Williams) is not one of them.

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2009, 07:28 PM
The 7th highest scoring offense in the country...ZERO points at the half.

Said Ben Rikard when asked about the defensive pressure, " I tell you, the 'Jacks are doing it almost exclusively with a four-man front and are getting decent pressure on him just from that ... but he's good, and he looks like a senior, he has stayed in the pocket and made the important throws for the majority of the night ... the important part so far, i think, is that the 'jacks have "contained" Pendland"

BEAR
October 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM
SFA looks impressive from what I got to watch. They may be the team to beat!

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I asked about more Pervis in the second half and the response I got, "I can tell you that this is not the McNeese secondary that we've seen in the past and the SFA receivers are running by them at will"

Does anyone have a good secondary? SFA is going to rip a few teams to shreds if Moses can be accurate - including SHSU and TXST - at this rate.

On the bright side, if McNeese does well from here on out, we may have two teams in the playoffs.

Shawn-O
October 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM
An SFA team looking to gain respect nationally...

A McNeese team that is after the 'Stunner in San Marcos', perhaps the favorite to claim the conference...

SFA leads 14-0 in the waning minutes of the second quarter.

Will the national media (i.e. Dave Coulson) join me on the Moses/SFA bandwagon (yep - I got on two weeks ago as I think they can win the conference) if they get the win at home against the Pokes?

I'm not the national media, but I'm with you on the bandwagon after what I saw a few weeks ago.

txst80
October 10th, 2009, 07:37 PM
We better put 62 on SFA like we did last year, hopefully that's enough, but I'm honestly not sure. I could see SFA beat us 70-62.

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2009, 07:51 PM
McNeese stops SFA's offense on first possession of second half, has something going on offense, then gets called for ANOTHER dead ball personal foul to kill the drive. SFA is good. But McNeese is really helping them.

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Finally SFA makes a huge mistake. Hopefully it'll pay off.

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Nope. After getting a first down on an SFA penalty in the red zone, McNeese botches the shotgun snap from center on the next play and puts itself in a bad down distance situation. Then misses the field goal.

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Ok. They get an interception, put Champlain Babin in, and he gets two nice physical runs to score. They're in the game.

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2009, 08:21 PM
But they get the extra point blocked then give up a big kickoff return to put SFA in business.

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2009, 08:41 PM
16-13. SAd thing is McNeese has missed a short field goal and had an extra point blocked.

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Well, Derrick Fourroux fumbles at the end of a nice scramble that was probably a first down driving in SFA territory to end the game. I think the stats will probably have McNeese with more first downs, more yards, etc. But the Cowboys made more mistakes. Just have to suck it up and play again next week.

The good news is that this is one of those games where you feel like if you minimize the penalties, etc., you win. It's correctable stuff rather than just getting physically beaten.

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2009, 09:04 PM
One thing about this game. After about the first quarter McNeese pretty much shut down the SFA offense. I don't know what kind of adjustments they made but other Southland teams should take a look at the film.

mango43
October 10th, 2009, 09:07 PM
What was the final?

JoshUCA
October 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM
16-13 SFA

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Yep. As I thought it would be. McNeese 24 first downs to SFA's 13. 154 rushing yards to SFA's 44. 273 passing yards to SFA's 226. Adds up to 427 total yards to SFA's 270. Just killed themselves with mistakes...particularly untimely penalties. Especially major penalties.

FormerPokeCenter
October 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Yep. As I thought it would be. McNeese 24 first downs to SFA's 13. 154 rushing yards to SFA's 44. 273 passing yards to SFA's 226. Adds up to 427 total yards to SFA's 270. Just killed themselves with mistakes...particularly untimely penalties. Especially major penalties.

Those penalties were just self-indulgent and stupid. Any strides we made as a program with the road win at App State were just flushed down the commode with self-inflicted stupidity at Nacogdoches.

If we'd have played like this at App State, we'd have the identical 13 points and App woulda hung 60 on us.

That was the most pathetic display of a lack of discipline I've seen from the Cowboys, in...well....possibly ever. This is the first time that I can recall being disgusted with what I saw on the field.

NO leadership, whatsoever. None. Not from the Seniors, not from the experienced players and NONE from the coaches.

Derrick had a subpar day. I have no problem with that. It happens. The really good OT had some holding penalties against an All-American DE. Got no problem with that, either, that happens....

I have a HUGE frickin' problem with the damned dead-ball unsportsmanlike conduct personal fouls. There's NO alternate universe whereby a McNeese player should ever be allowed to engage in a stupidity contest with a player from an inferior program (no offense, SFA, it's just the truth) and get away with it. Sit his ass on the bench, I don't care how good he is or who he is...If he's gonna self-indulgently engage in stuff afte the play that's gonna get the team penalized, put a lesser player with better self-control in and let's see how he can do.

I guarantee you that somebody went to Matt and told him that there's a way we could increase our offensive production by 120 yards per game, you'd get his damned attention. I dont' understand why eliminating stupidity-based penalties isn't as important as the passing game or the running game, especially when you're talking about 120 yards worth of penalties.

Beyond that the UC penalties are problematic becase A.) It's just not classy and B.) it's just NOT the way this program has been built. Tommy Tate got canned because he didn't maintain control over things like discipline. Matt needs to tighten up and control things like the stupid UC penalties and the way the players jawbone with the opposition after the play, lest the McAdministration look like hypocrites for letting Matt slide on what ultimately did Tommy in.

We've always had standards at McNeese. It's time to enforce them.

UCABEARS75
October 12th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Those penalties were just self-indulgent and stupid. Any strides we made as a program with the road win at App State were just flushed down the commode with self-inflicted stupidity at Nacogdoches.

If we'd have played like this at App State, we'd have the identical 13 points and App woulda hung 60 on us.

That was the most pathetic display of a lack of discipline I've seen from the Cowboys, in...well....possibly ever. This is the first time that I can recall being disgusted with what I saw on the field.

NO leadership, whatsoever. None. Not from the Seniors, not from the experienced players and NONE from the coaches.

Derrick had a subpar day. I have no problem with that. It happens. The really good OT had some holding penalties against an All-American DE. Got no problem with that, either, that happens....

I have a HUGE frickin' problem with the damned dead-ball unsportsmanlike conduct personal fouls. There's NO alternate universe whereby a McNeese player should ever be allowed to engage in a stupidity contest with a player from an inferior program (no offense, SFA, it's just the truth) and get away with it. Sit his ass on the bench, I don't care how good he is or who he is...If he's gonna self-indulgently engage in stuff afte the play that's gonna get the team penalized, put a lesser player with better self-control in and let's see how he can do.

I guarantee you that somebody went to Matt and told him that there's a way we could increase our offensive production by 120 yards per game, you'd get his damned attention. I dont' understand why eliminating stupidity-based penalties isn't as important as the passing game or the running game, especially when you're talking about 120 yards worth of penalties.

Beyond that the UC penalties are problematic becase A.) It's just not classy and B.) it's just NOT the way this program has been built. Tommy Tate got canned because he didn't maintain control over things like discipline. Matt needs to tighten up and control things like the stupid UC penalties and the way the players jawbone with the opposition after the play, lest the McAdministration look like hypocrites for letting Matt slide on what ultimately did Tommy in.

We've always had standards at McNeese. It's time to enforce them.

Fantastic post.

As a fan of college football I absolutely hate that "jawboning" crap.