PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Up?

DetroitFlyer
October 9th, 2009, 08:56 AM
How common is it for FCS players to transfer up, as to an FBS school? Dayton has had two recently. Both transferred to FBS schools as walk-ons, and both earned athletic scholarships....

Bobby Burger, now at Notre Dame

Tom Ingham - now at tOSU

UNHFan99
October 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Lofa Tatupa from Maine to USC

JMU DUUUKES LAW
October 9th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Tim Tebow at UF was at JMU first, although you might not have recognized him because he wore #7 and had "Landers" written on the back of his jersey .... (aaaaand here come the haters)

GATA
October 9th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Tim Tebow at UF was at JMU first, although you might not have recognized him because he wore #7 and had "Landers" written on the back of his jersey .... (aaaaand here come the haters)

...why would you want to compare Rodney Landers to Tim Tebow? Tebow is soft.

The guy believes in Jesus, The easter bunny and Santa Clause...he's a moron. Plus he's a virgin. Abstinence my ass.

McTailGator
October 9th, 2009, 10:08 AM
How common is it for FCS players to transfer up, as to an FBS school? Dayton has had two recently. Both transferred to FBS schools as walk-ons, and both earned athletic scholarships....

Tom Ingham - now at tOSU

You don't transfer UP to FBS from FCS

We are both D-I, so you move OVER...

If a kid has any eligability left, and he wants to work on his Masters that miht not be available where he earned his Bachlors, he can tranfer to ANY D-I school without having to sit out.

Seahawks Fan
October 9th, 2009, 10:08 AM

The guy believes in Jesus, The easter bunny and Santa Clause...he's a moron. Plus he's a virgin. Abstinence my ass.

Rule no. 1. When you call someone a moron, make sure your spelling is correct. xlolx

danefan
October 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM

If a kid has any eligability left, and he wants to work on his Masters that miht not be available where he earned his Bachlors, he can tranfer to ANY D-I school without having to sit out.

I'm not really sure how transferring from an FCS to an FBS school isn't considered moving up.

But anyway, the kids he's talking about weren't "masters transfers". The kid from Dayton transferred to Notre Dame after his first year at Dayton.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Rule no. 1. When you call someone a moron, make sure your spelling is correct. xlolx

Maybe he was talking about the movie? xeyebrowxxrotatehx

89Eagle
October 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM

He should be the poster boy for college sports. I hope your kidding.

ur2k
October 9th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Tom Ingham - now at tOSU

Levi Brown current starter at QB for Troy transferred from Richmond after Eric Ward won the starting job.

BDKJMU
October 9th, 2009, 11:25 AM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx
Delusions.
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

BDKJMU
October 9th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I don't recall anyone from JMU ever transferring up. I still think its pretty rare.

PantherRob82
October 9th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I'm not really sure how transferring from an FCS to an FBS school isn't considered moving up.

But anyway, the kids he's talking about weren't "masters transfers". The kid from Dayton transferred to Notre Dame after his first year at Dayton.

The kids have to sit out a year if they go FBS. Just like in bball.

Silenoz
October 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
UM's punter last year transferred to Texas A&M

poly51
October 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Kassim Osgood

Cal Poly-San Diego State-San Diego Chargers.

msupokes1
October 9th, 2009, 02:44 PM

I believe in Jesus too. So I guess I am a moron.

catdaddy2402
October 9th, 2009, 03:05 PM

Unless the FCS school drops football.

When ETSU dropped football LB Steven Jackson transferred to Clemson, where he ended up the starting FB.

HoyaMetanoia
October 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Georgetown had a player transfer up to Colorado.

I-AA Fan
October 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM

Tom Ingham - now at tOSU

UD is non-scholarship (technically), so it is actually more common than you think. If a player would go JUCO, they usually have two take two years worth of courses to be a soph. If they go to a school like UD, they can be a soph in 1 year, then grab a red-shirt year if needed.

DFW HOYA
October 9th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Georgetown had a player transfer up to Colorado.

There have been a few over the last decade--Hanif Saluki, a LB who transferred to Auburn, also comes to mind.

Georgetown's most prominent up-transfer was Aley Demarest, who played two years at Georgetown, set a number of passing records, and then accepted a scholarship offer at Tulane in his home town of New Orleans. After a year sitting out he was suddenly elevated to the starter for the opening of the 1994 season for the Green Wave before a serious knee injury ended his run four games into the season.

Bearvision
October 9th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I believe in Jesus too. So I guess I am a moron.

Historically, there is virtually no debate among historians that Jesus, did, in fact exist.

Husky Alum
October 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Harvard' had a that QB transferred to LSU, then back to Harvard, IIRC.

Bearvision
October 9th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah, Baton Rouge will do that to you...

poly51
October 9th, 2009, 05:20 PM

The school they are transfering from can release them so they don't have to miss a year.

SU Jag
October 9th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Mark bradley transfered from arkansas pine-bluff to ou. Tyrone king transfered from grambling to alabama, larry mcswain transfered from from jackson state to uab. Shedrick stabler transfered from north alabama to ole miss. There are a few others that I know of also.

catbob
October 9th, 2009, 05:53 PM
A linebacker for Northern Colorado transferred to CU a few years back.

SU Jag
October 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Darwin salaam transfered from stillman(d-2) to alabama. Rod hall transfered from alabama state to uab. There have been many cases of kids moving up. Usually its kids who play early and do well and feel that they can play at the bigger school. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.

HoyaMetanoia
October 9th, 2009, 10:04 PM
The school they are transfering from can release them so they don't have to miss a year.

It doesn't matter if they're released or not. They have to be released from their scholarship to get to another school, but it has nothing to do with missing time.

Maroon&White
October 9th, 2009, 10:18 PM
UMass just had a kid transfer to Miami a couple weeks ago. Of course it was the OC Mark Whipple's son, Spencer. Has gone from Pitt to UMass to Miami.

DaBigBlue
October 9th, 2009, 10:29 PM
ODU lost a RB who transfered to Penn St.

ncbears
October 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
A linebacker for Northern Colorado transferred to CU a few years back.

Yeah, but got kicked off of CU and transfered to an NAIA school.

DaBigBlue
October 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
ODU lost a RB who transfered to Penn St.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/brodie-greener-pastures

rmutv
October 9th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Mario Hines transferred to Akron from Robert Morris following his freshman year, but he never played for the Zips and came back to Robert Morris to finish his career.

ASU_Fanatic
October 10th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Happens a good bit App usually gets at least one transfer from an FcS school per year.

JacksFan06
October 10th, 2009, 08:05 AM
SDSU lost a OT last year as he transferred to Iowa.

He started for SDSU as a redshirt Freshman.

We also lost a LB 2 years ago who transferred to Nebraska and walked-on.