PDA

View Full Version : Will Penn Have Anyone Available against Bucknell?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2009, 11:49 PM
http://networkedblogs.com/p13921529

The Quakers are now down to their fourth-string quarterback after freshman Billy Ragone broke his collarbone this past weekend. This came after opening day starter Keiffer Garton injured his throwing arm against Villanova, and backup Kyle Olson got dinged up against the Big Green as well.

On top of that, star cornerback Chris Wynn and running back Michael DiMaggio didn't play in Hanover either because of injuries.

I'll be interested to see which team has the wackier formations Saturday at Franklin Field: Bucknell with its triple-option or Penn with its Wildcat-by-default.

xeyebrowx

Does Bucknell have a shot here?

crusader11
October 7th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I don't care how shorthanded Penn is, Bucknell is that bad. I'll take Penn by 2 scores.

carney2
October 8th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I don't care how shorthanded Penn is, Bucknell is that bad. I'll take Penn by 2 scores.

What he said. This is the have vs. the have nots.

bonarae
October 8th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I think the injuries to the Penn QB's may make Bucknell win by a close score.

Franks Tanks
October 8th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I think the injuries to the Penn QB's may make Bucknell win by a close score.

No, Bucknell is tragically bad unfortunantly. The somehow beat Marist by one point and barely squeezed by Georgetown.....How did the Bison fall so low?

Pards Rule
October 8th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I dunno - my parents and brother both went there and I spent a week up there every summer during high school and most of college on vacation playing the golf course. It is baffling they have never put back to back seasons together.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2009, 09:30 AM
No, Bucknell is tragically bad unfortunantly. The somehow beat Marist by one point and barely squeezed by Georgetown.....How did the Bison fall so low?

But here's the rub: Bucknell knows how to win football games. Their wins weren't against a murderer's row by any means, but they did what Fordham, G'Town and Lehigh were unable to do: win more than two games.

I dunno. With a healthy QB, Penn would be prohibitively favored. But starting their 4th string QB? I'm just wondering if this game could get interesting.

Franks Tanks
October 8th, 2009, 09:45 AM
But here's the rub: Bucknell knows how to win football games. Their wins weren't against a murderer's row by any means, but they did what Fordham, G'Town and Lehigh were unable to do: win more than two games.

I dunno. With a healthy QB, Penn would be prohibitively favored. But starting their 4th string QB? I'm just wondering if this game could get interesting.

This is true, but I had the chance to watch Bucknell against Marist and Robert Morris and I was very surpised by how they looked.

MDFAN
October 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Bucknell's problem is much the same as Lehigh's.....coaching.

Go...gate
October 8th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Tim Landis did well at Davidson and St. Mary's, but Bucknell's commitment does not seem as strong as in the Tom Gadd days. They were PL champs in 1996, 10-1 the following year, and have really struggled since. Why?

RichH2
October 8th, 2009, 04:22 PM
IMHO, Landis has tried to run the same O he ran out in Cal with lots of quick backs running qb and quick small LM. had a little success at 1st but once PL got the scheme he could not keep his skill players in the game . esp.the qb. This year expected Trigg to move their O ,not so much .

CFBfan
October 8th, 2009, 06:46 PM

4th string QB AND last week against Dartmouth they had a corner playing (I assume due to injury to their starter) that could not defend a pass.....6 passes throw at him for 6 completions, 2 of them for TD's and looked even worse against the run SO.....if Bucknell can throw the ball it could get very inetresting??

Pards Rule
October 9th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Tim Landis did well at Davidson and St. Mary's, but Bucknell's commitment does not seem as strong as in the Tom Gadd days. They were PL champs in 1996, 10-1 the following year, and have really struggled since. Why?

How long has Landis been at BU??

Franks Tanks
October 9th, 2009, 10:15 AM
How long has Landis been at BU??

Since 2003.

Tom Gadd passed away shortly after the 2002 football season. Gadd was unable to coach the 2002 season and the douche who is currently the Lehigh DC was their interim coach.

Guy rubbed me the wrong way when to game to recruit for Bucknell way back.

bison137
October 9th, 2009, 11:02 AM
IMHO, Landis has tried to run the same O he ran out in Cal with lots of quick backs running qb and quick small LM. had a little success at 1st but once PL got the scheme he could not keep his skill players in the game . esp.the qb. This year expected Trigg to move their O ,not so much .

1. Trigg has clearly not recovered fully from his ACL tear - not as mobile as last year. Worse, Pasternak - who is one of the top WR's in FCS - has been hurt the whole year. He alone is worth 10 points a game to the Bison offense and at least 5 additional completions per game.

2. Landis actually has switched offenses a couple of times. Last year they switched to the spread offense as opposed to the triple option, and it was fairly successful. However, the brains behind it was Harold Nichols, and he left for a HC job. The new OC clearly is not at the same level as Nichols. This year they sometimes run the spread and sometimes a double option - with only one slotback, plus a FB and with the QB under center. Makes little sense and hasn't worked at all - other than to keep Kizekai from getting many touches. They also sometimes run the spread. Without Pasternak, however, the defense doesn't have to respect the pass.

3. Defense has been hurt by some key injuries - especially losing LB Sam Nana-Sinkam, who is their top defensive player.

RichH2
October 9th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Tough loss Nana-Sikam is a force. Knew Nichols had left, did not know about O change. We know at LU about bad OCs. Can stop any team in its tracks.

Ivytalk
October 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I don't see the Quackers losing this game, no matter how banged up they are.xcoolx