PDA

View Full Version : SoCon- Defenses better or offenses worse?

Woof
October 7th, 2009, 02:41 PM
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/oct/07/power-pollimproving-socon-defenses-contributing/

This writer beat me to it, but I was thinking it was a pretty low scoring weekend in the SoCon. As with most things, it's probably a combination of the two, but for my T-Dogs, I know for a fact that our offense sure has a lot less bite this year, not to mention we are much more generous this year. xbawlingx

Just wondering what the rest of the SoCon thinks ?

gophoenix
October 7th, 2009, 02:44 PM
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/oct/07/power-pollimproving-socon-defenses-contributing/

This writer beat me to it, but I was thinking it was a pretty low scoring weekend in the SoCon. As with most things, it's probably a combination of the two, but for my T-Dogs, I know for a fact that our offense sure has a lot less bite this year, not to mention we are much more generous this year. xbawlingx

Just wondering what the rest of the SoCon thinks ?

yes and no. :D

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I think it's a little of both.

By all accounts, the Furman and Elon game should have had a few more points on the board. Jordan Sorrells missed RJ Webb twice for what would have been two touchdowns and the Paladins fumbled inside the 10 going in. Elon, for their part, stalled out deep in Furman territory once, and Riddle was picked off inside the 15 after trying to force a throw through the middle.

That aside, both Elon and Furman's defenses played very physical, hard-hitting defenses. Both quarterbacks got knocked around a good bit. Both defenses were very physical inside.

Saint3333
October 7th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I think defenses are defending the spread much better this year.

Only seen three teams so far in action.

I'd say ASU's defense and offense is worse than last year's.

Samford's defense is still good (same as last year), offense may be worse.

Citadel's offense is much better, defense is somewhat better.

chattanoogamocs
October 7th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Mocs offense and defense are better (of course, when a team was one of the worst in both cateogries in the nation...it doesn't take much to improve :))

CID1990
October 7th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I can't speak for other teams, but The Citadel's defense is much, much better than it was last year.

The offense is better as well, but I am happiest with our D so far this year. They leave everything on the field.

ASU_Fanatic
October 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I think it's a little bit of both.

SoCon48
October 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Elon and Furman's defenses look pretty solid.

Death Dealer
October 8th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I know our defense has improved ten fold over last year. Much more physical, smashmouth play. It's a joy to finally see it.

Overall, I bet it's a combination of both. But based on Saturday's game, I'd say it was mostly improved D that caused most of the O's blunders on both sides of the field.

PaladinNation
October 8th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I can only offer my perspective on Furman for what its worth… xrolleyesx

Furman started the season with freshmen playing at 5 positions on defense… and we paid the price against Mizzou. But that price appears to have also been a major learning experience for our youngsters.

Many people have commented that Furman's last couple of teams have been slow… well no more. Creative recruiting has enable Furman to solve long standing recruiting voids for Furman. Recruiting athletes first - has changed our corners, safeties, and defensive ends. Furman will only get better, the Elon game reminded me of the old GSU/FU matchups… a WAR!

GATA
October 8th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Georgia Southern's offense is terrible. The defense is pretty good..at least better than last year.

PhoenixMan
October 8th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I think it's a little of both.

By all accounts, the Furman and Elon game should have had a few more points on the board. Jordan Sorrells missed RJ Webb twice for what would have been two touchdowns and the Paladins fumbled inside the 10 going in. Elon, for their part, stalled out deep in Furman territory once, and Riddle was picked off inside the 15 after trying to force a throw through the middle.

That aside, both Elon and Furman's defenses played very physical, hard-hitting defenses. Both quarterbacks got knocked around a good bit. Both defenses were very physical inside.

I know one thing for sure....Elon and Furman both played outstanding defense. Disciplined, quick, and tenacious. I hope they can keep it going. One point about the Riddle pick......the ball hit the TE squarely in the hands and should have been caught. I don't think he was forcing a throw(he did throw it very hard), but if that's how you saw it, no problem.

SoCon48
October 8th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I know one thing for sure....Elon and Furman both played outstanding defense. Disciplined, quick, and tenacious. I hope they can keep it going. One point about the Riddle pick......the ball hit the TE squarely in the hands and should have been caught. I don't think he was forcing a throw(he did throw it very hard), but if that's how you saw it, no problem.

The announcers said it was deflected into the DB's hands.

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2009, 07:22 AM

The pick happened right in front of me. The TE was cutting across the middle. Riddle was pressured and released it before he wanted to. The receiver really hadn't even come out of his break yet. Seemed the ball got on him before he was ready, made an attempt to get a hand on it (it was thrown very hard) and just ended up tipping it right to Lerner.

gophoenix
October 9th, 2009, 08:58 AM
The announcers said it was deflected into the DB's hands.

That's the way it happened. Riddle was pressured, the TE really wasn't paying attention to the pressure, Riddle released and the TE wasn't ready for it, tipped it and the DB got it.

Sound football defense.

The officiating issues that people are complaining about I really didn't see, I know both sides are complaining about certain things, but the TV replays didn't even show anything that was glaring wrong, which was refreshing.

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2009, 10:03 AM
That's the way it happened. Riddle was pressured, the TE really wasn't paying attention to the pressure, Riddle released and the TE wasn't ready for it, tipped it and the DB got it.

Sound football defense.

The officiating issues that people are complaining about I really didn't see, I know both sides are complaining about certain things, but the TV replays didn't even show anything that was glaring wrong, which was refreshing.

I think the refs had some difficult calls to make. Most Furman fans were annoyed because a lot of the questionable calls were huge for Elon.

I'm not big on ragging on the refs. However, I don't see how Hudgin's long catch wasn't either an interception or pass interference (hard to argue he didn't jump over the Furman defensive back) and I still don't see how you tackle a guy two yards deep in the endzone and don't get a safety called. There were also a couple first down spots that were questionable at best.

Water under the bridge though. Those calls were tough. However, Furman cetainly could have used the 2 points that didn't get called on the safety. I was frankly shocked at how deep in the endzone the Elon back was tackled.

GATA
October 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I think the refs had some difficult calls to make. Most Furman fans were annoyed because a lot of the questionable calls were huge for Elon.

I'm not big on ragging on the refs. However, I don't see how Hudgin's long catch wasn't either an interception or pass interference (hard to argue he didn't jump over the Furman defensive back) and I still don't see how you tackle a guy two yards deep in the endzone and don't get a safety called. There were also a couple first down spots that were questionable at best.

Water under the bridge though. Those calls were tough. However, Furman cetainly could have used the 2 points that didn't get called on the safety. I was frankly shocked at how deep in the endzone the Elon back was tackled.

Watching the game on TV...it was either pass interference on Hudgens or it was a Hudgens catch. You can't rule that an interception. The simultaneous possession goes to the offense by rule.

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Watching the game on TV...it was either pass interference on Hudgens or it was a Hudgens catch. You can't rule that an interception. The simultaneous possession goes to the offense by rule.

I agree with that. Strangely, the exact same play happened and the end of the Indiana/Michigan game and the call was interception. I don't see how it wasn't offensive PI, though. I think that was the drive Riddle threw his interception though, so no harm no foul.

Found the picture from the Greenville news from the game that shows the non-safety. Not sure what the exact rules are about whether the ball has to completely get out of the endzone, nor does the picture show where the player's knees hit and where the ball was. However, not many guys get tackled that deep in the endzone without a safety called. http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=BS&Date=20091003&Category=SPORTS0103&ArtNo=910030807&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=55

gophoenix
October 9th, 2009, 10:21 AM

That would be it. And the fact that the pro-Furman announcers were neutral on this one seems to indicate the right call to me....

The "safety" was just that, non-existent, the ref called forward progress, which it was. And again, the pro-Furman announcers thought it was the right call.

You know, the same announcers saying "we need a big play" and "let's see how this penalty will help us" ... etc

Sorrells threw some questionable balls when he was trapped that could have been grounding, but, it was borderline. If we'd lost, they'd still be borderline and really a non-issue. Along with that fumble that we recovered that wasn't a fumble. Borderline.

gophoenix
October 9th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I agree with that. Strangely, the exact same play happened and the end of the Indiana/Michigan game and the call was interception. I don't see how it wasn't offensive PI, though. I think that was the drive Riddle threw his interception though, so no harm no foul.

Found the picture from the Greenville news from the game that shows the non-safety. Not sure what the exact rules are about whether the ball has to completely get out of the endzone, nor does the picture show where the player's knees hit and where the ball was. However, not many guys get tackled that deep in the endzone without a safety called. http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=BS&Date=20091003&Category=SPORTS0103&ArtNo=910030807&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=55

Again, the replay on TV showed it wasn't a safety. It was close, but the ball hit first (hands down before knees) out of the endzone.

And man, I wish we'd go to maroon helmets with a different logo. I hate our current helmet design.

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Again, the replay on TV showed it wasn't a safety. It was close, but the ball hit first (hands down before knees) out of the endzone.

And man, I wish we'd go to maroon helmets with a different logo. I hate our current helmet design.

Eh, we'll just agree to disagree. The call went Elon's way. I don't think it was the right call, but it was the call.