PDA

View Full Version : MID-SEASON AWARDS

smallcollegefbfan
October 7th, 2009, 10:02 AM
With five weeks of the season complete who would you give the mid-season Payton, Buchanan, and Robinson Awards to? Also, who would your first team All-America list include?

A few names standing out to me early on are NDSU RB Paschall, Elon WR Hudgins, ASU QB Edwards, SIU RB Karim, McNeese St RB Pendland, EWU RB Jones, UNI QB Grace, JSU QB Perrilloux, Richmond QB Ward, WIU WR Senatus, Weber St WR Toone, SFA DE Knicky, Tex Sou LB Fulghum, JMU DE Moats, ASU LB Smith, Grambling DE Anthony, UNI DE Ruffin, WIU CB Stoudamire, Holy Cross QB Randolph, MSU TE Harbor, Fordham QB Skelton, SELU QB Babin, Alabama A&M DE Maddox, Butler DE Hunter, and Murray St DE Lane as some of the top names I have seen so far.

For the Payton I would probably go with Hudgins of Elon at this point because of the numbers and records he now has with Paschall, Karim, and Edwards very close. For the Buchanan that is very tough at this point and I am not quite sure yet who I would pick. For the Robinson Award I would go with Farley with an impressive start in FCS play and almost beating a ranked Iowa team. People forget that Iowa dropped out of the polls after that game but have since moved all the way up to #12 and #14 in the national polls. I personally think UNI deserves to be receiving votes but we know that won't happen unless a FCS team beats a top 25 FBS team.

GannonFan
October 7th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Devlin from UD is putting together a pretty impressive year so far.

Hoyadestroya85
October 7th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I think I'd Give the Payton to Ryan Perrilloux and the Buchanan maybe to Arthur Moats from JMU?

crusader11
October 7th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Dom Randolph from HC has put up bigger numbers than Skelton in virtually every department, and is 4-0 this year compared to the 1-3 record Skelton has. He should be on the list as well.

smallcollegefbfan
October 7th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Dom Randolph from HC has put up bigger numbers than Skelton in virtually every department, and is 4-0 this year compared to the 1-3 record Skelton has. He should be on the list as well.

Good catch. I can't believe I did not have him on there.

Bam
October 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Jeremy Caldwell, DB • So., 5-10, 172 • Chattanooga, Tenn. • Eastern Kentucky. Caldwell ranks first nationally in interceptions (1.00/game) and second nationally in passes defended (2.00/game).

NDB
October 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Paschall is a stud.

Really unfortunate he's on a crappy team...

WrenFGun
October 7th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Devon Jackson has to be considered one of the best LB's in FCS from UNH. The guy is really, really good.

UD77
October 7th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I think I'd Give the Payton to Ryan Perrilloux and the Buchanan maybe to Arthur Moats from JMU?

Won't qualify as he transferred down a division. Otherwise how do you justify Flacco not getting the award and Devlin not even on the list.

GannonFan
October 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Won't qualify as he transferred down a division. Otherwise how do you justify Flacco not getting the award and Devlin not even on the list.

Yeah, Perriloux has no chance at the Payton Aware - FBS castoffs need not apply. Heck, Flacco wasn't even on the final list of Payton candidates his senior season. And then oddly, just 4 months later, on the same body of work, Flacco was a 1st round pick in the NFL. Needless to say, the NFL took a different view of Flacco's work than the Payton Award voters did. xwhistlex

jaxstatealum
October 7th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I know I'm slightly biased, but why put an FBS transfer on the watch list if you are not going to give them serious consideration...

As for Ryan - he only leads all QB's statistically at any level in the entire nation... if that holds how do you vote against him...

PhoenixSupreme
October 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM

I'm a bit confused...I know Perriloux transferred from LSU to JSU, but didn't both Flacco and Devlin transfer down as well. Flacco originally was at Pitt and Devlin originally was at Penn St., so wouldn't both of them not qualify since they transferred FBS->FCS?

UD77
October 7th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I'm a bit confused...I know Perriloux transferred from LSU to JSU, but didn't both Flacco and Devlin transfer down as well. Flacco originally was at Pitt and Devlin originally was at Penn St., so wouldn't both of them not qualify since they transferred FBS->FCS?

Sarcasim my friend. There is no restriction on transfers but it seems that they are not included in the voting, ie, Flacco or Devlin not being on the list.:)

ElonPride
October 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Hudgins technically is also a transfer, from ECU.

Pantherpower
October 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah, Perriloux has no chance at the Payton Aware - FBS castoffs need not apply. Heck, Flacco wasn't even on the final list of Payton candidates his senior season. And then oddly, just 4 months later, on the same body of work, Flacco was a 1st round pick in the NFL. Needless to say, the NFL took a different view of Flacco's work than the Payton Award voters did. xwhistlex

I don't know if Panther fans (myself included) fully appreciated what we were watching in Joe Flacco a couple of seasons ago in the Dome. Easy to understand how he shredded our D, bought extra time, etc. watching him now on the big stage. He's unflappable and a stud, imo.

JSU02
October 7th, 2009, 12:51 PM
If RP keeps putting up numbers like he has so far, I dont see how anyone in good faith could vote against him.

PhoenixMan
October 7th, 2009, 12:53 PM

I think you have to dress out for a regular season game. He was only at ECU for one week. They said outside linebacker......he said, c ya later.

GATA
October 7th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Flacco didn't get it because of Armanti Edwards....that's pretty much all the justification you need.

GATA
October 7th, 2009, 01:03 PM

I think the NFL took a different look at his size and arm strength. Ricky Santos put up ridiculous numbers for 4 years...didn't even really sniff the NFL.

Flacco is in the league because his arm is ridiculous and he's about 7 feet tall. He's also a hell of a football player. Let's not act like he's playing in the NFL because of his numbers at Delaware though. When scouts saw Flacco...they saw a SMART version of Jamarcus Russell.

Skjellyfetti
October 7th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Armanti's only played 3 games so far. Most have played 5. His stats will even out as the season goes on. This will also be his first game with the potential to pad stats... whereas most the other guys have had a game or two against weak opponents to put up ridiculous numbers.

If there was an award to be given out this week, though... I'd give it to Scott Riddle.

GannonFan
October 7th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I don't know if Panther fans (myself included) fully appreciated what we were watching in Joe Flacco a couple of seasons ago in the Dome. Easy to understand how he shredded our D, bought extra time, etc. watching him now on the big stage. He's unflappable and a stud, imo.

Agreed - you rarely see a QB like him play in college. Unbelievable arm, with much underappreciated mobility, especially in the pocket, and a real cool character when it comes to pressure. I think Hens fans didn't always appreciate what they saw either.

Great play in the UNI game - 3rd quarter, 3rd and 15, Hens up 22-20 from their own 25, Flacco scrambles out of the pocket, ranges all the way to the sideline buying time, by now back to his own 15 yard line, and then, before going out of bounds, fires off a laser of a pass and hits Duncan just before he goes out of bounds, with a man all over him, at UNI's 31 yard line. The pass went for 44 yards officially, but it was easily 50 yards of flight. You just don't see that kind of play at this level, or just college in general, very often.

Pantherpower
October 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Agreed - you rarely see a QB like him play in college. Unbelievable arm, with much underappreciated mobility, especially in the pocket, and a real cool character when it comes to pressure. I think Hens fans didn't always appreciate what they saw either.

Great play in the UNI game - 3rd quarter, 3rd and 15, Hens up 22-20 from their own 25, Flacco scrambles out of the pocket, ranges all the way to the sideline buying time, by now back to his own 15 yard line, and then, before going out of bounds, fires off a laser of a pass and hits Duncan just before he goes out of bounds, with a man all over him, at UNI's 31 yard line. The pass went for 44 yards officially, but it was easily 50 yards of flight. You just don't see that kind of play at this level, or just college in general, very often.

Yep. Sadly, I likely won't ever forget that play.:) Had at least one other 3rd and long conversion IIRC.

UNIFanSince1983
October 7th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I know I appreciated what I saw when Flacco played in the dome. I was telling everybody I knew that guy was going to be a first rounder. Watching him in warm ups I had never seen anyone throw the ball that hard. Most of his completions were with defenders all over his receivers, and I haven't seen a quarterback at this level do that before. He was also so big and hard to bring down kind of like a Ben Roethlisberger.

BEAR
October 7th, 2009, 01:25 PM
What about Community College transfers? Larry Hart is a cc transfer. xnodxxlolx

PhoenixMan
October 7th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Armanti's only played 3 games so far. Most have played 5. His stats will even out as the season goes on. This will also be his first game with the potential to pad stats... whereas most the other guys have had a game or two against weak opponents to put up ridiculous numbers.

If there was an award to be given out this week, though... I'd give it to Scott Riddle.

Riddle...I like that you said that. I was going to post something like that as well, but my bias is obvious. Edwards is the best, offensive football player (not necessarily QB) that I have seen play in FCS. He will be a top vote getter when all is said and done.

Bam
October 7th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I will vote for RP, if he throws 5 int's again vs EKU.

PhoenixSupreme
October 7th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Sarcasim my friend. There is no restriction on transfers but it seems that they are not included in the voting, ie, Flacco or Devlin not being on the list.:)

lol...I have a hard time catching sarcasm when it's in text xconfusedxxlolx

McNeese75
October 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM
We will know more after this weekend but Jeremy Moses of SFA may deserve a look at the Peyton list.

Buzzcut
October 7th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I will vote for RP, if he throws 5 int's again vs EKU.

HIGHLY doubt this will happen again. RP is playing some serious football now and EKU won't be playing him at Roy Kidd Stadium. Better get off the crack pipe Bam.

ur2k
October 7th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Eric Ward's having a pretty good year so far

In 4 games with a 4-0 record and 2 CAA player of the week awards

74 completions - 110 attempts - 2 Ints
67.3 completion %
949 Yards

2 TDs passes short of UR record
8 tds passing, 1 rushing
237.2 yards pg

smallcollegefbfan
October 7th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Devon Jackson has to be considered one of the best LB's in FCS from UNH. The guy is really, really good.

I saw him against Towson and he is looking good. If he keeps it up I could see him on a 3rd team All-America list and definitely first team All-CAA.

proasu89
October 7th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Flacco didn't get it because of Armanti Edwards....that's pretty much all the justification you need.

xconfusedx Your man Foster won it in 07. And most deservedly soxthumbsupx If you are referring to the Championship game, then the voting is in and the winner announced the day before the game.

c15683
October 7th, 2009, 03:23 PM
UNDERACHIVER OF THE YEAR LOOKS LIKE A LOCK FOR - LEHIGH UNIVERSITY

0-4 YTD
TURNOVERS GALORE
DISAPPEARING OFFENSE
INCONSISTENT PLAY CALING
NO "O" IDENTITY
QB CONTROVERSY
LACK OF RB PRODUCTIVITY
GOOD DEFENSE BUT ON THE FIELD WAY TOO LONG
AND WE STILL HAVE TO PLAY HOLY CROSS, COLGATE, LAF. COLLEGE

A LONG SEASON OF COULDA, SHOULDA, WOULDA

Woof
October 7th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Hey, where's all the Wof....ugh, never mind, I got nothing.xbawlingx

Waco Kid
October 7th, 2009, 03:42 PM
If it came down to it I don't think Riddle deserves the award over teammate Hudgins. After watching them play several times in person and on TV Riddle just has to get it in the area of Hudgins and it will be caught. He makes several outstanding catches per game, plus all the routine catches you would expect from a top WR. Would have loved to see what Armanti and Hudgins could do together... ECU could use him big time this season.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 7th, 2009, 03:52 PM
LB J.C. Sherritt of EWU needs a shoutout.

Through 5 games, he has 60 Tackles (30 Solo), 9 For Loss, 3 Forced Fumbles, 2 Fumble Recoveries, and 1 Pass Breakup

Woof
October 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM
If it came down to it I don't think Riddle deserves the award over teammate Hudgins. After watching them play several times in person and on TV Riddle just has to get it in the area of Hudgins and it will be caught. He makes several outstanding catches per game, plus all the routine catches you would expect from a top WR. Would have loved to see what Armanti and Hudgins could do together... ECU could use him big time this season.

Just curious how do The Citadel's Andre Roberts' numbers compare with Hudgins ? Should be fun to watch those two guys go head to head this week, too !

Hoyadestroya85
October 7th, 2009, 04:53 PM

He's also a Wide Receiver.. Which is why he won't win.

Hoyadestroya85
October 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I saw him against Towson and he is looking good. If he keeps it up I could see him on a 3rd team All-America list and definitely first team All-CAA.

The First Team All-CAA Linebackers all play on one team xthumbsupx

4N6
October 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM

I could not have said this better. Flacco is good. Very good.

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2009, 06:29 PM
With five weeks of the season complete who would you give the mid-season Payton, Buchanan, and Robinson Awards to? Also, who would your first team All-America list include?

You're asking this question before mid-season. Only 5 of 12 weeks have been played, many teams have played only 4 of 11 games. Ask this question in another week or 2.

ASU_Fanatic
October 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
AE as QB.

JacksFan06
October 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
DE Danny Batten SDSU

In 4 games has 27 tackles, 7.5 Tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, 4 QB hurries

For a DE, he is all over the field on every play. Terrific Motor.

GeauxLions94
October 7th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Just throwing a name out there for All-American.

Simmie Yarborough, Southeastern Louisiana (Soph., Brookhaven, Miss.)
28 receptions (7.0 per game), 325 yards (81.2 per game), 5 TDs
2008 Southland Conference Freshman of the Year

http://www.lionsports.net/images/2009/9/21/rp_primary_091909_360.jpg

Hoyadestroya85
October 7th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Oh Really (http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/game11.html)? xwhistlex

This is what i seem to remember in regards to Joe Flacco facing pressure:

http://cmsimg.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BL&Date=20071118&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=711180382&Ref=AR&Profile=1028&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

and this (get a load of the look of terror on his face, it was on my desktop for a year)

http://cmsimg.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=BL&Dato=20071118&Kategori=SPORTS07&Lopenr=711180801&Ref=PH&Item=6&MaxW=760&Q=100

There are more, I'll spare you the agony, but if you're a glutton for punishment you can just go here (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=BL&Dato=20071118&Kategori=SPORTS07&Lopenr=711180801&Ref=PH&Profile=1028&SectionCat=rss0201)

GannonFan
October 7th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Oh Really (http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/game11.html)? xwhistlex

This is what i seem to remember in regards to Joe Flacco facing pressure:

There are more, I'll spare you the agony, but if you're a glutton for punishment you can just go here (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=BL&Dato=20071118&Kategori=SPORTS07&Lopenr=711180801&Ref=PH&Profile=1028&SectionCat=rss0201)

Ah, nova fans bringing up a game that had no importance whatsoever (UD already in the playoffs, nova already out). Do you have all the photos of the WR's dropping passes that game too? Seem to remember plenty of those. And again, just odd that you post those pictures, but don't post any of the 4 weeks that came after that - you know, when nova was on their couches watching Flacco and the Hens, week after week, advance through the playoffs. Odd indeed. xlolx

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 7th, 2009, 09:34 PM

Don't forget Int for TD Machine, Dino Vasso, ....

smallcollegefbfan
October 7th, 2009, 09:46 PM
You're asking this question before mid-season. Only 5 of 12 weeks have been played, many teams have played only 4 of 11 games. Ask this question in another week or 2.

Just thought I would get a head start on this with some people playing their 6th game this week. Gives us something to look at. I think here in two weeks we should pretty much have a good idea on everyone. Most Ivy Leagues have only played what 3 games?

smallcollegefbfan
October 7th, 2009, 09:47 PM
DE Danny Batten SDSU

In 4 games has 27 tackles, 7.5 Tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, 4 QB hurries

For a DE, he is all over the field on every play. Terrific Motor.

Batten is a great one. I would not be shocked if he goes to the NFL Combine and gets drafted in the 5th or 6th round.

Hoyadestroya85
October 7th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Ah, nova fans bringing up a game that had no importance whatsoever (UD already in the playoffs, nova already out). Do you have all the photos of the WR's dropping passes that game too? Seem to remember plenty of those. And again, just odd that you post those pictures, but don't post any of the 4 weeks that came after that - you know, when nova was on their couches watching Flacco and the Hens, week after week, advance through the playoffs. Odd indeed. xlolx
There was something at stake for the Hens, had they won that game they could have been a seed. Might I remind you that Villanova's record since that game is 15-3 UD's isn't even .500. It's a what have you done for me lately world. But, I'm sure the 'Cats will be happy to make it 4 straight victories against the Hens come September. All i'm saying is that Ron Jaworski specifically cited the Villanova game in the lead up to the draft in 08. He was a fish out of water that game.

JayJ79
October 7th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I have to wonder if awards on the like are somewhat skewed towards good players on weak teams. Well, perhaps not WEAK teams, but teams that aren't always multi-faceted.

A QB on a team with a good run game doesn't always put up super high stats because many plays are devoted to the ground game. And vice versa for RBs on a team with a good passing game. Where as if a team has to rely more heavily on one facet, that player accrues higher stats.

Or, if a player plays on such a successful team that he doesn't often play full games because by the time the 4th quarter (or second half) rolls around, they're already up big and the starters are swapped out to give the reserves some reps.

Tribe4SF
October 7th, 2009, 10:38 PM
W&M defensive standouts...

DT Sean Lissemore- 26 tackles/7 TFL/3.5 sacks/ 1 BK
DE Adrian Tracy- 28 tackles/5 TFL/3 sacks/ 2 PD/ 1 FF
LB Jake Trantin- 33 tackles/ 4 TFL/ 1.5 sacks/ 1 INT/ 2 PD/ 1 FR/ 1 FF
LB Evan Francks- 26 tackles/ 5 TFL/ 1 sack/ 3 PD/ 2 FR
DE Ravi Pradhanang- 15 tackles/ 4 TFL/ 3.5 sacks

Hoyadestroya85
October 7th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Lissemore was an animal during the Villanova game, he was constantly in the backfield. You'd better believe that he's taking advantage of the increased attention on Tracy.

BDKJMU
October 8th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Like I said, its not the midway point of the season yet, but as long as people are throwing names out there, as a couple have mentioned, Arthur Moats from JMU. Leading the nation in TFL per game. He's is the only one from JMU's defense that showed up the 1st half last week.

Through 4 games the 6'2", 250 lb Sr de end:
-credited with 9 tackles for loss (7 solo, 4 assist), including 4 sacks.
-one forced fumble
-one blocked kick.
-Avg 8 tackles per game (16 solo, 16 assist). 3 way tie for 5th in the CAA in tackles per game. Moats is the only DL in the top 21 in per game avg.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&div=IAA&rpt=IAA_playertacklesloss&site=org&div=IAA&dest=O

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2009&org=317&player=52

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2009/confldrs.htm#conf.wi2

Tribe4SF
October 8th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Like I said, its not the midway point of the season yet, but as long as people are throwing names out there, I can't believe no-one has mentioned Arthur Moats from JMU.

xconfusedx

Moats was mentioned in the first post of the thread, and picked by HoyaDestroya for the Buchanan in the third post.

MR. CHICKEN
October 8th, 2009, 07:49 AM
HOW'S 'BOUT......FLORIDA A&M's.....SPECIAL TEAM PHENOM......LeROY VANN.....4 PUNT RETURNS....TA DUH HOLY LAND...GIVIN' HIM 7 FO' CAREER.....xrotatehx....AWK!

GannonFan
October 8th, 2009, 01:53 PM
There was something at stake for the Hens, had they won that game they could have been a seed. Might I remind you that Villanova's record since that game is 15-3 UD's isn't even .500. It's a what have you done for me lately world. But, I'm sure the 'Cats will be happy to make it 4 straight victories against the Hens come September. All i'm saying is that Ron Jaworski specifically cited the Villanova game in the lead up to the draft in 08. He was a fish out of water that game.

Come on, I know you guys rarely make the playoffs so you don't always know how they work, but UD was pretty much eliminated from seed consideration when we lost to Richmond in a thousand OT's the week before. We were a lock to be in the playoffs, playing Del St at home in the first round, and we were going to be on the road to play a seed (assuming they won) the following week. That's why UD was going over game film on DSU the week of the nova game - it didn't impact anything other than a historical footnote.

But don't worry about this year - UD and it's 5k strong will still show up on the Main Line come November. This time we might actually have something to play for. xwhistlex

Hoyadestroya85
October 8th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Like I said, its not the midway point of the season yet, but as long as people are throwing names out there, I can't believe no-one has mentioned Arthur Moats from JMU. Leading the nation in TFL per game. He's is the only one from JMU's defense that showed up the 1st half last week.

Through 4 games the 6'2", 250 lb Sr de end:
-credited with 9 tackles for loss (7 solo, 4 assist), including 4 sacks.
-one forced fumble
-one blocked kick.
-Avg 8 tackles per game (16 solo, 16 assist). 3 way tie for 5th in the CAA in tackles per game. Moats is the only DL in the top 21 in per game avg.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&div=IAA&rpt=IAA_playertacklesloss&site=org&div=IAA&dest=O

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2009&org=317&player=52

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2009/confldrs.htm#conf.wi2

Moats is a stud.. Chris Whitney may still have an imprint left on his body from Moats abusing him in the playoffs last year.

BDKJMU
October 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM
xconfusedx

Moats was mentioned in the first post of the thread, and picked by HoyaDestroya for the Buchanan in the third post.

Darn it, I skimmed and missed those. My bad.

BDKJMU
October 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Moats is a stud.. Chris Whitney may still have an imprint left on his body from Moats abusing him in the playoffs last year.

As I recall, that was his best game of the season. 3 sacks.

Sam Daniels is pretty close behind at DT. I think it was SN that picked Daniels as a pre season 1st team AA.