PDA

View Full Version : Traveling on Game Day Discussion

SU Jag
October 5th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Trouble at Jackson State...why did Southern travel to Jackson on Friday anyways? It's a three hour-ish trip. Would make more sense to save money and travel the same day, right?

Either way - Southern's blue jerseys went missing. Have not seen any indication that they have turned up.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/63465747.html

Our travel day is friday! Always have been, always will be.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2009, 07:03 AM
SU always does that. Even when @ home SU stays in a hotel.

Just goes to show you the mismanagement of funds at Southern. A three-hour bus trip and they stay in a hotel. A hotel at home. Just ridiculous...glad they cut those two sports to help fund this misuse of funds and help pay Cador (even if he had no chance at UNO job - regardless of comments he has made, which in the long run, will hurt Southern).

Can't wait for the NCAA to change that rule regarding hotels at home.

Any jerseys turn up?

Maroon&White
October 6th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Just goes to show you the mismanagement of funds at Southern. A three-hour bus trip and they stay in a hotel. A hotel at home.

It's not just Southern, most teams travel on Friday, regardless of where the game is. A hotel at home, again, very common. No need to take unnecessary shots at a school.

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 07:14 AM
WTF!?! The only games we'd bus it same day are Morgan State, 10 minutes or Delaware, 1 hour and Howard, 1 hour. We'd stay over even at Del State.

A three hour bus ride BEFORE a game. F that.

Tribe4SF
October 6th, 2009, 07:21 AM
TT,

You're off-base on this one. Andy's assessment of a three hour bus ride the day of the game is a player's perspective, and I can assure you is shared by all of us who played.

If you think schools are wasting money on hotels, that's your perogative, but don't pick on Southern.xthumbsdownx

Tribe4SF
October 6th, 2009, 07:41 AM
TT,

Will your Bearcats be busing to McNeese the day of the game this year? About the same distance as Southern to Jackson State.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2009, 07:53 AM
You're off-base on this one. Andy's assessment of a three hour bus ride the day of the game is a player's perspective, and I can assure you is shared by all of us who played.

I know of many schools in wake of the latest financial situation that bus the same day for most, if not all sports if within X amount of hours. In media guides where departure plans are shared, I see it as well. Want me to pull out Towson's media guide from last year? I seem to recall a few 'same day' trips...I'll get to experience this later this year on a 3 hr bus trip for hoops on two trips that we overnighted two years ago.

Some schools have also added bus rules, in which if the opposing school is within 400 miles, it's a bus trip - conference or otherwise. Seen numerous articles about it.

And while I can not attest to SHSU-McNeese, based on the game time and what I know historically about SHSU game day travel - it is a likely same day bus trip. If they were going to the Cajun Corner (Nich or SLU), they'd travel the day before. That's a seven to eight hour journey.

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Well we played Delaware away, who else? Navy? Annapolis is closer than Newark.

Villanova? Maybe its not much further than UD. I don't know. I remember staying over night in Dover for Del State. And ole TSU was about as bottom of the barrel in those days.

We didn't same day it to coastal Carolina or new Hampshire.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I have the 2007 guide, not 2008. Thought I recalled more same-day travel, but nope, all of them were the day before outside of Morgan State and half the trips were flights.

CAA is a different beast, but got to figure in the SLC when a trip is two, three hours - you are going same day. And do not think any teams in the SLC stay in a hotel the night before at home. Just would blow my mind if they did, particularly the La. schools who struggle so much financially.

Southern's financial decisions with football are obviously making an impact on the remainder of their sports...

McNeese75
October 6th, 2009, 08:18 AM
McNeese will always travel on Friday to out of town conference games. The exeption will probably be Lamar in the future (50 miles). Home games are another thing all together and the team is not housed the night before those games.

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I can't imagine bussing 2-3 hours and then playing. Just saying.

We played Maine and got stuck in Boston between flights because of a storm up in Orono. We didn't get in until 10pm. We were dead tired the next day.

...if same daying it to away games is as common place in the SLC, the criticism should be on the SLC teams not SU.

Tribe4SF
October 6th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I know of many schools in wake of the latest financial situation that bus the same day for most, if not all sports if within X amount of hours. In media guides where departure plans are shared, I see it as well. Want me to pull out Towson's media guide from last year? I seem to recall a few 'same day' trips...I'll get to experience this later this year on a 3 hr bus trip for hoops on two trips that we overnighted two years ago.

Some schools have also added bus rules, in which if the opposing school is within 400 miles, it's a bus trip - conference or otherwise. Seen numerous articles about it.

And while I can not attest to SHSU-McNeese, based on the game time and what I know historically about SHSU game day travel - it is a likely same day bus trip. If they were going to the Cajun Corner (Nich or SLU), they'd travel the day before. That's a seven to eight hour journey.

Keep us posted on what SHSU does for the McNeese game. I assume from what you say that they'll bus to Texas State the same day?

McNeese75
October 6th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I doubt SHSU is busing anywhere on the same day.

Tribe4SF
October 6th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I doubt SHSU is busing anywhere on the same day.

So do I.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Just ridiculous waste of funds...and if SHSU does it, they are guilty of it as well and I'll talk negatively about. SHSU has not had to cut sports or play less than the minimum amount of games in a major sport like SU has, thank goodness...

Football may be one thing - but I know for other sports, it's a bit different re: bussing the same day (i.e. VB, hoops, etc). I'll find out about SHSU once I get a chance to drop an e-mail or message to someone.

Tribe4SF
October 6th, 2009, 09:39 AM
SHSU has not had to cut sports or play less than the minimum amount of games in a major sport like SU has, thank goodness...

Football may be one thing - but I know for other sports, it's a bit different re: bussing the same day (i.e. VB, hoops, etc). I'll find out about SHSU once I get a chance to drop an e-mail or message to someone.

xlolxSHSU only has five men's sports....not much left to cut. No men's soccer program? Did they have other sports in the past?

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM
The other sports all usually leave on Friday and play multiple games over the weekend and come back Sunday. Did you think they commute back? Staying in a hotel isn't just a football thing. You can't possibly be serious about this.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2009, 10:02 AM
xlolxSHSU only has five men's sports....not much left to cut. No men's soccer program? Did they have other sports in the past?

Apparently, you have the same counting problem that most people have when it comes to counting NCAA sports... guess that makes me the one laughing! xlolx

Football
Golf
Baseball
Basketball
Men's Indoor T&F
Men's Outdoor T&F
Men's Cross Country

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I'm going to guess you guys have a track around your field. :D

...thats a lot of running going on.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2009, 10:25 AM
UPDATE (from SHSU)...the only overnight trips this year are TULSA and SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA. Both of those trips are more than five, six hours...

SHSU is going on game day to Stephen F. Austin (about two hours), McNeese State (3-3.5 hours) and Texas St-San Marcos (3-3.5 hours).

Glad to see that SHSU is being cost-effective!

McNeese75
October 6th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Just ridiculous waste of funds...and if SHSU does it, they are guilty of it as well and I'll talk negatively about. SHSU has not had to cut sports or play less than the minimum amount of games in a major sport like SU has, thank goodness...

I am talking football only, I have no idea about the other sports.

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 10:36 AM
UPDATE (from SHSU)...the only overnight trips this year are TULSA and SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA. Both of those trips are more than five, six hours...

SHSU is going on game day to Stephen F. Austin (about two hours), McNeese State (3-3.5 hours) and Texas St-San Marcos (3-3.5 hours).

Glad to see that SHSU is being cost-effective!

This is amazing to me. What times are those games? xconfusedx

Maroon&White
October 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Men's Indoor T&F
Men's Outdoor T&F

Same sport in two different seasons.

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Same sport in two different seasons.

Still six teams. :p

Looking back, I remember going down to Norfolk, VA for a Sautrday game in HIGH SCHOOL. If you have to bus it 3-4 hours before a game to save money, ...the school needs to think about being a D.I school.

Maroon&White
October 6th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I was going to put same sport, same team, different seasons, but figured that wouldn't be necessary :)

Actually it's the same exact team outdoor and indoor seasons. :p

Tribe4SF
October 6th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Apparently, you have the same counting problem that most people have when it comes to counting NCAA sports... guess that makes me the one laughing! xlolx

Football
Golf
Baseball
Basketball
Men's Indoor T&F
Men's Outdoor T&F
Men's Cross Country

SHSU athletic website lists five sports for men. Look on the left hand links. Track and Field has one coaching staff that includes a cross country/middle distance/long distance coach.

So did SHSU have other sports in the past? Soccer, tennis, gymnastics, swimming and diving?

Good for them that they're same-day busing to games. I wouldn't want to play there, but that's just me.

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM
SHSU athletic website lists five sports for men. Look on the left hand links. Track and Field has one coaching staff that includes a cross country/middle distance/long distance coach.

So did SHSU have other sports in the past? Soccer, tennis, gymnastics, swimming and diving?

Good for them that they're same-day busing to games. I wouldn't want to play there, but that's just me.

Yeah I wouldn't be telling the kids you're recruiting either.

danefan
October 6th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Same-day busing for football?

My brother's high school team doesn't even do that for any games over 1.5hrs away.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2009, 11:34 AM
This is amazing to me. What times are those games? xconfusedx

SFA and TXST are 2 p.m. starts. McNeese is a later start.

Still six teams. :p

Not for NCAA purposes. They count the T&F components as three - indoor, outdoor and XC.

Looking back, I remember going down to Norfolk, VA for a Sautrday game in HIGH SCHOOL. If you have to bus it 3-4 hours before a game to save money, ...the school needs to think about being a D.I school.

The school's budget is fine. We're one of the tops in the SLC - right behind TXST and SFA. However, while we save money in this regard - we do not do some of the things that other schools in the league do in other places.

I can read that - just going by what the NCAA does.

We apparently had men's tennis at some point - but have not been able to confirm that. It's not listed anywhere nor have we honored any former athletes from the sport - so assuming not. Outside of that, we have not had any sports that are currently not on the program.

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Working backwards.

2pm kick-off
1pm on field warm up
10:30am arrival
7:30am depart
..that's insane! What do you eat McDonalds on the ride up? xconfusedx

Please tell me you don't use yellow school buses! xlolx

Tribe4SF
October 6th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Working backwards.

2pm kick-off
1pm on field warm up
10:30am arrival
7:30am depart
..that's insane! What do you eat McDonalds on the ride up? xconfusedx

Please tell me you don't use yellow school buses! xlolx

That's a brutal daily schedule, and may involve an earlier departure. Traffic in east Texas can be bad, and if they're going to get a pre-game meal in, they've got to get there by 10:30, unless they really are eating on the bus.

Visiting team at a big disadvantage traveling like that. Hope they've got an equipment truck that can leave earlier and be ready for the team. If I were the coach, I'd be fighting that tooth and nail.

lionsrking2
October 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
TT, it's not a "waste of funds" to travel the day before in football...it's a cost of doing business in Division I football, just like buying equipment, feeding & housing players, etc.

Sure, you can save money by traveling the day of a game, but you can also save money by buying cheaply made uniforms, camping out instead of staying in hotels, feeding the team Ramen Noodles and Spam, not fully funding scholarships or coaching staffs, etc.

Not sure if you've ever played or coached (doubt you have), but there are major logistical issues involving travel, and having large bodies ride on cramped buses for more than three hours, then having them eat a pre-game meal, go through taping, warm-ups, etc., it's not an ideal way to win a road game, especially in conference play.

I agree with you when it comes to games where bus travel is under 2-to-2 1/2 hours, but when you start stretching it out over three hours, I see nothing wrong with spending the extra money to go the night before.

Heck, we're leaving this Thursday for a Saturday game at Texas State...reason being, it's a 2:00 pm game and if you hit Houston traffic wrong on a Friday, it can take 10-12 hours on a bus instead of the normal 8-9 hours. We'll stay on the west side of Houston on Thursday night and leave mid-morning on Friday for New Braunfels where we'll stay Friday night.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM
This year, Liberty bused it to Lafayette and back the same day.

6 1/2 hour drive up to Easton; 6PM start. 6 1/2 hours back.

For good measure, they also bussed their 100+ member band, too.

And Liberty, if I understand correctly, is in much better financial shape then many schools.

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
TT, it's not a "waste of funds" to travel the day before in football...it's a cost of doing business in Division I football, just like buying equipment, feeding & housing players, etc.

Sure, you can save money by traveling the day of a game, but you can also save money by buying cheaply made uniforms, camping out instead of staying in hotels, feeding the team Ramen Noodles and Spam, not fully funding scholarships or coaching staffs, etc.

Not sure if you've ever played or coached (doubt you have), but there are major logistical issues involving travel, and having large bodies ride on cramped buses for more than three hours, then having them eat a pre-game meal, go through taping, warm-ups, etc., it's not an ideal way to win a road game, especially in conference play.

I agree with you when it comes to games where bus travel is under 2-to-2 1/2 hours, but when you start stretching it out over three hours, I see nothing wrong with spending the extra money to go the night before.

Heck, we're leaving this Thursday for a Saturday game at Texas State...reason being, it's a 2:00 pm game and if you hit Houston traffic wrong on a Friday, it can take 10-12 hours on a bus instead of the normal 8-9 hours. We'll stay on the west side of Houston on Thursday night and leave mid-morning on Friday for New Braunfels where we'll stay Friday night.

Even 2 hours is pushing it. How much does an over night cost? It can't be THAT much as to comprimise your athletes well being. You are paying their tuition and room and board.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 6th, 2009, 02:08 PM

He did play tennis in high school. xsmiley_wix A district champ from what I was told. xthumbsupx

TSUalum05
October 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Looks like this one blew up on TT - I feel bad for those football players who have to be ready to play at 2pm. My Junior College doesn't even travel on the same day - they stay the night at hotels the night prior for home games as well.

As a former college athlete, I disliked traveling on game days myself. We were able to do it but you cannot compare baseball to football.

Maroon&White
October 6th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Not for NCAA purposes. They count the T&F components as three - indoor, outdoor and XC.

Cross country is not part of track and field.

lionsrking2
October 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Even 2 hours is pushing it. How much does an over night cost? It can't be THAT much as to comprimise your athletes well being. You are paying their tuition and room and board.

It doesn't cost that much in the grand scheme of things...it's more about perception than anything else.

If you sleep two to a room, you need 45-50 rooms at most for an official travel party, counting team, coaches, trainers, equipment, and film...even if you negotiate a $100 per night rate (most likely lower), you're looking at $5,000 to spend one night (you charter buses and feed them regardless)...granted, five grand could be well-spent elsewhere in the overall athletic budget or football program specifically, but it's not a lot of money in context of a Division I budget. But when an AD says we're eliminating overnight stays to save on budget, it looks good to bean counters.

aceinthehole
October 6th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Here's CCSU (New Britain, CT) travel this year:

at Lehigh (Bethlehem, PA - 200 mi) - Bused there on Friday morning, bused back on Saturday
at W&M (Williamsburg, VA - 500 mi)- Bused down on Thursday, based back home Saturday night
at Columbia (New York City - 100 mi) - Bused on Friday, bused back on Saturday (this was supposed to be a same day trip, but Coach was able to get the Prez/AD sign off on a hotel)
at Duquesne (Pittsburgh, PA -475 mi) - Bus out Friday morning, retun Saturday
at Bryant (Smithfield, RI - 85 mi) - Bus out and return on Saturday
at Wagner (Staten Island, NY - 130 mi) - Bus out on Friday, return on Saturday (NYC traffic is horrible, its a must to stay over beforehand)
at St. Francis (Loretto, PA - 400 mi) - Bus out Friday morning, return on Saturday

The only away game that CCSU won't get a hotel this season is Bryant. We also wouldn't stay over for games at Sacred Heart (Fairfield, CT).

GannonFan
October 6th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Outside of nova and Towson, UD football stays overnight for every other possible road game - pretty sure that's always been the case. Hofstra is under 3 hours away and UD goes up the night before. I think UD even stays the night before down at Annapolis and that's under 2 hours away from Newark.

I understand some programs are certainly hurting for funds, but there are plenty of other programs out there that have plenty of money.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Oh, when Lehigh and Lafayette play in "The Rivalry", of course there's no real transportation costs - but the kids stay in a hotel overnight anyway, to get away from the "distractions" of being on campus. :D

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Southern's financial decisions with football are obviously making an impact on the remainder of their sports...

I told you when the article came out, thats just talk. SU cut those sports so they can spend more on football. Point blank. I dont like it , but thats what they did. Besides LSU, SU football generates more dollars than any other school in the state.

SU Jag
October 6th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Just goes to show you the mismanagement of funds at Southern. A three-hour bus trip and they stay in a hotel. A hotel at home. Just ridiculous...glad they cut those two sports to help fund this misuse of funds and help pay Cador (even if he had no chance at UNO job - regardless of comments he has made, which in the long run, will hurt Southern).

Any jerseys turn up?

If you spent 1/3rd of the time focusing on Sam Houston State than you spend thinking about Southern, FAMU, Grambling, and every other school that aint yours, the Kats would have 6 titles and would be on their way to FBS!xrolleyesx

T-Dog
October 6th, 2009, 07:50 PM
The only time App traveled on game-day to an away game was LSU in November 2005 and that was due to the post-Katrina chaos. The game was at 8 pm EST so the team took a plane in the morning and then took a plane back after the game.

Sounds like it would be rough for the team, but the game was respectable (24-0 final, 14-0 with 5 minutes left).

Go...gate
October 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
WTF!?! The only games we'd bus it same day are Morgan State, 10 minutes or Delaware, 1 hour and Howard, 1 hour. We'd stay over even at Del State.

A three hour bus ride BEFORE a game. F that.

Right. Colgate has occasionally bused to Cornell on game day, but that is it.

Walkon79
October 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM
The Cats have to fly about half the time, and besides UM (About 3.5 hours on a bus) our next closest is about 5 hours (ISU). If memory serves I think the Cats stay in a motel in Bozeman on HOME games.

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Is this the twilight zone??

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM
It doesn't cost that much in the grand scheme of things...it's more about perception than anything else.

If you sleep two to a room, you need 45-50 rooms at most for an official travel party, counting team, coaches, trainers, equipment, and film...even if you negotiate a $100 per night rate (most likely lower), you're looking at $5,000 to spend one night (you charter buses and feed them regardless)...granted, five grand could be well-spent elsewhere in the overall athletic budget or football program specifically, but it's not a lot of money in context of a Division I budget. But when an AD says we're eliminating overnight stays to save on budget, it looks good to bean counters.

Dude seriously we'd go 3 in a room except for seniors. I slept int he cot 4 times in my 4 years of traveling. Sometimes beds were destroyed, sometimes not. xwhistlex

Go...gate
October 6th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Dude seriously we'd go 3 in a room except for seniors. I slept int he cot 4 times in my 4 years of traveling. Sometimes beds were destroyed, sometimes not. xwhistlex

Those cots are nothing to write home about, either.

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Those cots are nothing to write home about, either.

Put the cot between the two doubes, add three olinemen, with a dash of nudity, equals nothing anyone want to see.

xnonono2x

lionsrking2
October 6th, 2009, 10:49 PM

Then all the cheaper...bottom line, if you budget on the high end - two per room, $100 per night - you're still looking at five grand at the most...if you stay three to a room, you're looking at less than four grand...not much of budget hit, especially when comfort and convenience could be a deciding factor in winning or losing a close game.

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Then all the cheaper...bottom line, if you budget on the high end - two per room, $100 per night - you're still looking at five grand at the most...if you stay three to a room, you're looking at less than four grand...not much of budget hit, especially when comfort and convenience could be a deciding factor in winning or losing a close game.

...wwweeeeeellllllll, there is a whole lot more to away trips.

At least 2 prolly 4 meals, or at least perdiem cash, (which goes to booze on the ride home) :o

Use of hotel rooms for meetings, Friday night and Saturday morning, plus Fri. night meal and Sat. breakfast, and taping. And then the two or three buses...

I'd say closer to 8-10 grand, but still, 50,000 is a drop in the bucket considering the yearly expenditure.

What are you going to supply the other sports with that? new socks per year?

IaaScribe
October 7th, 2009, 08:53 AM
This year, Liberty bused it to Lafayette and back the same day.

6 1/2 hour drive up to Easton; 6PM start. 6 1/2 hours back.

For good measure, they also bussed their 100+ member band, too.

And Liberty, if I understand correctly, is in much better financial shape then many schools.

No, they bussed up on Friday and back on Saturday night.

Pards Rule
October 7th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Wasnt there an instance not too long ago where Lafayette same day bussed to either Columbia or Fordham and got stuck in awful traffic and almost missed gametime??

813Jag
October 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
ask LSU how same day travel worked out for them when they went to Starkville. xlolx

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2009, 10:48 AM
ask LSU how same day travel worked out for them when they went to Starkville. xlolx

LSU left the day before...we've already talked about this one elsewhere.

They could have bussed the trip and it would have taken as long, if not a bit shorter than waiting for their charter plane backup to arrive from Atlanta after their initial charter plane had a technical issue.

DFW HOYA
October 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Then all the cheaper...bottom line, if you budget on the high end - two per room, $100 per night - you're still looking at five grand at the most...

Maybe in Hammond or Nachitoches, but $100 a night at Fordham buys you space at a youth hostel.

CatMom07
October 7th, 2009, 11:55 AM
In 2008 Coach Wright had the team 'hotel it' the night before the NSU home game. The team bused to prisonville for the SAM game on Friday and left shortly after the game.

ur2k
October 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Schools putting their teams at a competitive disadvantage such as traveling long distances by bus on gamedays should perhaps reconsider playing D-I sports.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Schools putting their teams at a competitive disadvantage such as traveling long distances by bus on gamedays should perhaps reconsider playing D-I sports.

There's schools in BCS conferences that to do it.

I guess it just depends on what the coaching staffs and administrators feel is the certain distance/time that it becomes a competitive disadvantage.

Plenty of these schools have the money to do it - they just want to go a different direction with how they use their funds.

danefan
October 7th, 2009, 12:59 PM
There's schools in BCS conferences that to do it.

I guess it just depends on what the coaching staffs and administrators feel is the certain distance/time that it becomes a competitive disadvantage.

Plenty of these schools have the money to do it - they just want to go a different direction with how they use their funds.

What BCS schools bus on gameday to long distances (e.g. over 2 hrs)?

GannonFan
October 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM

I agree - who, at the BCS level, is busing more than 2 hours before a game on gameday? That list has got to be small, if even in existence.

nmatsen
October 7th, 2009, 01:10 PM
This season UNI will bus to:

Iowa (day of)
Illinois State (approx 4 hours on Friday and stay in a hotel)

This season UNI will fly to: (on the day of)

Missouri State
North Dakota State
South Dakota State

Will play at home (not staying in a hotel, at student - athletes residence)

South Dakota
Saint Francis
Indiana State
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
Youngstown State

The only questionable use of funds I could see here would be possibly driving to Brookings SD to play SDSU on Friday and getting a hotel vs driving. Thats about it.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2009, 01:13 PM

I was referring to all sports - since it was brought up that it was probably in the best interest of the school(s) to not compete at Division I if that's the case.

danefan
October 7th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I was referring to all sports - since it was brought up that it was probably in the best interest of the school(s) to not compete at Division I if that's the case.

Then I completely agree with you. A lot of non-revenue sports bus the same day in all conferences.

The America East has even mandated same-day bussing in basketball for conference games within 300 miles of the traveling team.

I personally think a manadate is stupid. If a school has the money, who is the conference to tell them how to spend it.

But its a different beast for football. Way more guys, way more equipment and way more pregame prep needed in football than in other sports.

bcrawf
October 7th, 2009, 04:53 PM
This season UNI will bus to:

Iowa (day of)
Illinois State (approx 4 hours on Friday and stay in a hotel)

This season UNI will fly to: (on the day of)

Missouri State
North Dakota State
South Dakota State

Will play at home (not staying in a hotel, at student - athletes residence)

South Dakota
Saint Francis
Indiana State
Southern Illinois
Western Illinois
Youngstown State

The only questionable use of funds I could see here would be possibly driving to Brookings SD to play SDSU on Friday and getting a hotel vs driving. Thats about it.

One quick correction on UNI... They bussed to Cedar Rapids on Friday and stayed overnight due to the 11:00am kick... They were still out of the hotel at 7:15...

I am not positive, but I think NDSU, MSU and SDSU were/are Friday flights with returns on Saturday.

CatMom07
October 7th, 2009, 08:37 PM
TXST team is staying at a hotel for all home games this year. I don't want to argue the good or bad, right or wrong of it and the info is from one of the players' dads

Franks Tanks
October 7th, 2009, 10:00 PM
At Lafayette we always went the day before. Even for games at Penn and in NYC which were barely a hour away. The only time we bussed on game day was for a night game at Princeton which is about 40 minutes away.

TSUalum05
October 7th, 2009, 10:00 PM

Before this thread blew up on you - you were commenting on SU Football staying at an hotel the night prior to the JSU game. Now everyone brought you back to reality after an incorrect assumption your going a different route.

McTailGator
October 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM

Any jerseys turn up?

McNeese also travels on Friday.

Unless we are playing close enough (Less than 2 hours away).

UL Lafayette, Southern, and Northwestern are some that we have made day trips out of. They are all too close.

Lamar will be another in the future I would think.

MplsBison
October 9th, 2009, 10:24 AM

Any jerseys turn up?

IMO, staying in a hotel even for homes games is a good thing. NDSU doesn't do this but the U of MN does and I agree with it 100%. If your program has the money, you should be doing this IMO.

It removes distractions and provides consistency between home and road games.

I would even go so far to say that you should have separate practice and stadium locker rooms for home games. Again, along the lines of consistency between home and road games: practice all week at the practice facility, get on the bus friday for the hotel, bus to the stadium on Sat.

DFW HOYA
October 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Isn't some of this time-specific? A 12 noon game almost demands a Friday night stay, but when Georgetown travels to Old Dominion for a 6:00 game, they could go down and back without a hotel stayover.