PDA

View Full Version : Richmond Fans: Oct. 24

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2009, 10:55 AM
On October 24, my wife and I will be heading to DC. She's heading to a wedding shower in the afternoon, which gives me and my six year old son a chance to see a great FCS game.

Being a Patriot League person, my first choice would be Georgetown, but they are off that week. I'm also looking at NC A&T/Howard - but I can't help noticing that a mere 2 hours away is UMass/Richmond at 3:30.

Assuming my wife has the car - she needs it for the shower to drive older relatives to the event - is there a good way for my son and I to get from DC to Richmond without driving? And if so, how long would that take?

I'm thinking about renting a car for the day for that purpose instead, but I wanted to ask people who really know first. Can you get there by public transportation? And is there a lot to do for a six-year old?

Dukie95
October 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM
You can take Amtrak from DC to Richmond, but yeah, get a car.

Dukie95
October 6th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Do you mean, is there a lot for a kid to do at the game, or in Richmond in general?

They have moon bounces setup inside the stadium, and kids like sliding down the hill under the scoreboard on corrugated cardboard.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Do you mean, is there a lot for a kid to do at the game, or in Richmond in general?

They have moon bounces setup inside the stadium, and kids like sliding down the hill under the scoreboard on corrugated cardboard.

I meant at the game. The bounces sound good xthumbsupx. I think I will be bouncing around the tailgates with him as well. This won't be a day where I sit in the press box. This is a day for the whole experience.

Tribe4SF
October 6th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Make it a doubleheader, LFN! Drive to Williamsburg for JMU@W&M at noon (sold out, but we can work on that), and head back to Richmond to catch the 3:30 game.xthumbsupx

UR Spider
October 6th, 2009, 11:37 AM
As someone who lives in DC, it will be far and away easiest to rent a car given that the Stadium is not near the train station, which is the primary method of public transportation between Richmond and DC.

Also, you need not worry about tickets either as UR Stadium seats over 20K and very rarely are there over 9k for a game, the crowd will mostly likely be polite so no need to worry about the 6 year old learning new words. UR fans tend to be on the laid back side (a little too much at times). It should be a really good game. Enjoy.

ur2k
October 6th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Agreed with what's been posted above. You could do Amtrak or Greyhound but once you get to Richmond on either - you'd have to take a taxi from the stations to the stadium. So cost and ease-wise a rental car would be a better option.

For a 3:30 game, our tailgate lots open at 12:30.

JMU Newbill
October 6th, 2009, 11:44 AM
yea... the stadium isnt very accessible from any of the train stations in richmond. also... keep mind that on any given saturday (shameless plug), traffic on 95 from DC to Richmond can turn what should be an 1.5 - 2 hour drive into a 5 hour drive, in either direction. Be cautious.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2009, 12:11 PM
yea... the stadium isnt very accessible from any of the train stations in richmond. also... keep mind that on any given saturday (shameless plug), traffic on 95 from DC to Richmond can turn what should be an 1.5 - 2 hour drive into a 5 hour drive, in either direction. Be cautious.

Uh oh. If this is true, this could put a huge dent in my plans.

ur2k
October 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Uh oh. If this is true, this could put a huge dent in my plans.

I wouldn't expect this trip at this time of year to take that long unless there is some huge accident or something - its a weekend, off-season, no rush hour traffic. Should take 1.5 - 2, at most 3.

Dukie95
October 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't expect this trip at this time of year to take that long unless there is some huge accident or something - its a weekend, off-season, no rush hour traffic. Should take 1.5 - 2, at most 3.

Yeah, I agree with that. During the summer months, Saturdays and Sundays are really bad, but this is the off season.

The absolute WORST case would be 3 hours. I'd count on 2. With no traffic at all it can be a hair over 90 minutes.

Witter19
October 6th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Over the summer don't drive on 95. Drove to Richmond two Fridays ago from Northern VA and got to city in about 1:35 on a Friday night, so you should be fine on a Saturday midmorning.

Eight Legger
October 6th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I drove from the top of the beltway in Maryland to Richmond yesterday at peak rush hour time (left at 4 pm) and I made it to Richmond at 7. That traffic will be worse than anything you'd find in the fall on a Saturday, I dare say. Three hours should be your worst case scenario.