PDA

View Full Version : UR - JMU

bostonspider
October 6th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Time for the annual grudge match between James Madison and Richmond. Can this game come close to the excitement of last year? Huge crowd, back and forth battle, combined with a spectactular ending? Is UR over confident and ripe for the upset coming into Harrisonburg, or is JMU beat up, beat down, and not ready for the National Champs? Will JMU settle on a QB, continue their QB tag team, or is Dudzick out after the concussion? What say you AGS?

I think that UR squeeks out a close victory over a fired up JMU team.

24-21

th0m
October 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I have no idea what team will show up Saturday, but it can't get much worse than last weekend (no offense to Hofstra, you guys made a lot of great plays on both defense and offense)

All signs point to the continuation of tradition where the road team wins this one, so let's hope the Dukes end that streak!

ur2k
October 6th, 2009, 08:31 AM
So many story lines:

- Grudge Match between hated rivals
- Richmond looking for revenge after last year
- JMU already fighting for their playoff life
- Does the road team win again?
- Who plays QB for the Dukes?
- Does Scotty touch the ball?
- Can JMU's secondary stop Eric Ward and UR's wideouts?
- Can Thorpe run the offense for the entire game?
- How many times will Mickey talk about UR's new stadium this week?

I say (homer pick) UR wins 20-17 because we are the road team. My prediction for player of the game - Donte Boston.

Dukie95
October 6th, 2009, 08:49 AM
We all know the road team has won this series going back to 2005, but it's also interesting to note that the games UR has won in Harrisonburg have been defensive battles, whereas JMU victories in Richmond have been shootouts. This year is different. JMU is now the team without the offense to keep up with the Spiders.

2005 - 18-15 UR wins at JMU
2006 - 27-10 JMU wins at UR
2007 - 17-16 UR wins at JMU
2008 - 38-31 JMU wins at UR

JMU can win this one, but it's going to take a near perfect, turnover-free effort. I think the loss to Hofstra could help JMU find that extra bit of motivation that they might not have otherwise been able to summon.

I don't think JMU has an answer for Ward/Grayson. Our secondary has looked pretty bad against Liberty and Hofstra.

JMU needs Jamal Sullivan (RB) and Bosco Williams (WR) to return from injury and surgery, respectively. If they return and either Thorpe or Dudzik is able to play an entire game and get into a rhythm, they'll be in this game.

Maybe JMU can actually play a game in decent weather for once.

19Duke97
October 6th, 2009, 08:54 AM
We all know the road team has won this series going back to 2005, but it's also interesting to note that the games UR has won in Harrisonburg have been defensive battles, whereas JMU victories in Richmond have been shootouts. This year is different. JMU is now the team without the offense to keep up with the Spiders.

2005 - 18-15 UR wins at JMU
2006 - 27-10 JMU wins at UR
2007 - 17-16 UR wins at JMU
2008 - 38-31 JMU wins at UR

JMU can win this one, but it's going to take a near perfect, turnover-free effort. I think the loss to Hofstra could help JMU find that extra bit of motivation that they might not have otherwise been able to summon.

I don't think JMU has an answer for Ward/Grayson. Our secondary has looked pretty bad against Liberty and Hofstra.

JMU needs Jamal Sullivan (RB) and Bosco Williams (WR) to return from injury and surgery, respectively. If they return and either Thorpe or Dudzik is able to play an entire game and get into a rhythm, they'll be in this game.

Maybe JMU can actually play a game in decent weather for once.

It's supposed to rain - again. I also think JMU can win this game, but it will take a team that is much more fired up to play than last week. We need to be mistake free, get a few turnovers, and play solid defense. I do worry about Ward's ability to pick apart our secondary. We have not show the ability to stop the pass.
I'm going to be a homer and pick JMU in an upset win b/c they need it to stay alive in the playoff hunt (JMU 24 - UR 21)

JMU Newbill
October 6th, 2009, 09:26 AM
One additional story line to add....

Can JMU knock off a #1 in Bridgeforth for the second straight year?

I honestly don't expect this game to be close. I'd say Richmond by 17. Either way, crazier things have happened, and if the rivalry holds true, these two teams will fight it out and create an enjoyable game to watch.

As a Richmond resident, I will be perched up somewhere in the West End to take in the game, wearing my old school Justin Rascati jersey in hopes that MM can finally choose a QB to stick with. I am so looking forward to being heckled left and right, haha!

JMU2004
October 6th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Gonna get ugly for JMU

Ward will have a field day picking our young secondary apart.

South Carolina Duke
October 6th, 2009, 09:50 AM
With all of Madison's injuries and inconsistent play, I give the Ticks the win by 20.

Mickey is announcing many position changes today. No one has a secure job on either offense or defense.

Sullivan is only at 75% and will not play. We only have 2 of our 5 receivers. Our offensive line is non existent. Dudzik still has a headache.

Richmond will not kick to McGee at all!

molly
October 6th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Is the game on TV?

soccerguy315
October 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I think it's on regional Comcast SportsNet DC... but I wouldn't swear to it.

spdram
October 6th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Yes, I think it is on Versus.

molly
October 6th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I think it's on regional Comcast SportsNet DC... but I wouldn't swear to it.

I just checked DirecTV and it looks like you're right that CSN has it. Thanks.

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Justin Thorpe is starting the whole game (I believe since Dudzik is only taking 25% of the snaps in practice) and Griff Yancey is moving back RB from S ... so that should make things a bit interesting.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Justin Thorpe is starting the whole game (I believe since Dudzik is only taking 25% of the snaps in practice) and Griff Yancey is moving back RB from S ... so that should make things a bit interesting.

The True Freshman starting a Free Safety in Yancey's place might be most interesting personnel move of all.

BDKJMU
October 6th, 2009, 10:48 PM
With all of Madison's injuries and inconsistent play, I give the Ticks the win by 20.

Mickey is announcing many position changes today. No one has a secure job on either offense or defense.

Sullivan is only at 75% and will not play. We only have 2 of our 5 receivers. Our offensive line is non existent. Dudzik still has a headache.

Richmond will not kick to McGee at all!

Who is out besides Kerby Long? Bosco is back (was in for at least one series vs HU after his 1st week back at practice. Souns like JMU will have 4 of 5 receivers.
-McCarter
-Turner
-Charity
-Bosco Williams (probably not 100% yet)

Long-out

Sounds like Acker and Noble will again be playing the slot/wingback position like they were the 1st 3 games.

BDKJMU
October 6th, 2009, 11:22 PM
So many story lines:

- Grudge Match between hated rivals
- Richmond looking for revenge after last year
- JMU already fighting for their playoff life
- Does the road team win again?
- Who plays QB for the Dukes?
- Does Scotty touch the ball?
- Can JMU's secondary stop Eric Ward and UR's wideouts?
- Can Thorpe run the offense for the entire game?
- How many times will Mickey talk about UR's new stadium this week?

I say (homer pick) UR wins 20-17 because we are the road team. My prediction for player of the game - Donte Boston.

As far as the notion of “revenge” it is totally overrated. Before the JMU/ASU game last year all you heard from JMU fans was revenge, revenge, revenge due to JMU’s devastating 1st round playoff loss @ ASU the year before (famous Jamal Sullivan fumble at ASU 9 with 20 some seconds left down 28-27). JMU came out for their 1st half against ASU sky high. You know what this phantom notion of “revenge” got JMU? Down 21-0 at the half. Like Mickey Matthews said, revenge is overrated and lasts for about a series or 2 of the 1st quarter. UR (and Nova the following week for that matter) may very well both beat JMU. Its possible one (or both) could win rather handily. But them wanting “revenge” for last season will have little to nothing to do with the outcomes the next 2 weekends.

JMU Newbill
October 7th, 2009, 06:12 AM
"Tuck and Run" is starting and playing most of the game at qb? I may not even turn the tv on.

Dukie95
October 7th, 2009, 06:55 AM
As far as the notion of “revenge” it is totally overrated. Before the JMU/ASU game last year all you heard from JMU fans was revenge, revenge, revenge due to JMU’s devastating 1st round playoff loss @ ASU the year before (famous Jamal Sullivan fumble at ASU 9 with 20 some seconds left down 28-27). JMU came out for their 1st half against ASU sky high. You know what this phantom notion of “revenge” got JMU? Down 21-0 at the half. Like Mickey Matthews said, revenge is overrated and lasts for about a series or 2 of the 1st quarter. UR (and Nova the following week for that matter) may very well both beat JMU. Its possible one (or both) could win rather handily. But them wanting “revenge” for last season will have little to nothing to do with the outcomes the next 2 weekends.

Besides, once they won the title last year, that return became a blip in their rear view mirror.

spdram
October 7th, 2009, 07:30 AM
The return energized and focused the team on goal, alot of Spider fans thank Scottie for his return. I even heard some talk about giving him a ring. xsmiley_wix

We'll lose a game if it means we can win a Championship!

BTW I don't put alot of faith in comments about who will paly and who will not play, I think it is a matter of head games -- if the player can get a medical release he will play.

Eight Legger
October 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM

Last I checked, a game only started once.

South Carolina Duke
October 7th, 2009, 09:00 AM
The True Freshman starting a Free Safety in Yancey's place might be most interesting personnel move of all.

Very true. However, he has played well on special teams.

What's new, we played most of the year last year with either freshman or guys that have never played in the secondary.

South Carolina Duke
October 7th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Who is out besides Kerby Long? Bosco is back (was in for at least one series vs HU after his 1st week back at practice. Souns like JMU will have 4 of 5 receivers.
-McCarter
-Turner
-Charity
-Bosco Williams (probably not 100% yet)

Long-out

Sounds like Acker and Noble will again be playing the slot/wingback position like they were the 1st 3 games.

I am just going by what Mickey said Monday during the press conference.

But look at it this way, with Durden's play calling, we may as well have Sam and Arthur playing wide receiver.

Durden appears to be a nice guy, but....come on.

jmufan999
October 7th, 2009, 09:20 AM
geez, gloom and doom from Dukes fans. call me optimistic (naive?) but i don't think it will go down that way. we might lose, but we NEVER get blown out at home. dating back to the beginning of 2004, we've only lost 3 home games by a total of 7 points. i'm not saying we'll win, but i don't think it's time to hit the panic button because of one loss. we'll find out a lot about JMU on saturday. i am very concerned about containing Ward, there is no doubt. and Grayson will have a field day. but JMU is still a good offense, i won't change my tune at least until after saturday.

appirishmen
October 7th, 2009, 09:20 AM
i cant wait to keep up with this game. its going to be good!! best of luck to both teams and here is to a injury free game.xbeerchugxxbeerchugxxbeerchugx

Dukie95
October 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
JMU is 2-0 against defending champs in Harrisonburg since 2004.

2004 - Beat UD
2005 - N/A
2008 - Beat App St.
2009 - UR ?

Dukie95
October 7th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Richmond is 2-1 against defending champs on the road in the same span - not that JMU is the defending champ, but ya know..equal time. :)

2005 - beat JMU
2007 - lost to App St.
2008 - beat App St.

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM
WHSV: 2-2 Dukes Now Face Top Two Teams in FCS Polls
http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/63563022.html

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
WHSV: Yancey, Sullivan Both Practice at Running Back
http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/63638212.html

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
WHSV: Thorpe to Start Against No. 1 Richmond
http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/63623207.html

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM

What's new, we played most of the year last year with either freshman or guys that have never played in the secondary.

Whats new is we don't have Josh Vaughan and we throw the ball around the yard much more.

There is one objective on Special Teams, and it doesn't require much Pre-snap analysis.

Grizaholic17
October 7th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I'm excited for the outcome of this game!!! Should be a great matchup!

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM

You're way off here..

-Jonathon Williams is a rSo and was a 2 deep safety last season.

-Nelson is also a rSo and started out as a safety his 1st season, was moved to LB I believe Spring Ball 08', then back to safety beginning of last season, then back to LB middle of last season, then back to safety during this past Spring ball.

-McGee started all 12 games at corner in 07' as a rFr, 2 in 08', and 5 last yr.

-Sanders had numerous starts at corner and safety 07'-08'.

-Cufee is a sophmore and played 2 deep corner last season. Saw significant PT.

South Carolina Duke
October 7th, 2009, 09:01 PM
You're way off here..

-Jonathon Williams is a rSo and was a 2 deep safety last season.

-Nelson is also a rSo and started out as a safety his 1st season, was moved to LB I believe Spring Ball 08', then back to safety beginning of last season, then back to LB middle of last season, then back to safety during this past Spring ball.

-McGee started all 12 games at corner in 07' as a rFr, 2 in 08', and 5 last yr.

-Sanders had numerous starts at corner and safety 07'-08'.

-Cufee is a sophmore and played 2 deep corner last season. Saw significant PT.

I meant to say with a "young secondary" I consider all that played last year for most of the year, "young". r So, r Fr is young in my book.

I regret the confusion.

South Carolina Duke
October 7th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Whats new is we don't have Josh Vaughan and we throw the ball around the yard much more.

There is one objective on Special Teams, and it doesn't require much Pre-snap analysis.

Hey ya'll threw a lot during last years game. I was there.

Please kick to #19....again!

Dignan
October 8th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Man, I can't believe I'll be at a wedding during this game. Although in hindsight it was better to be at a bachelor party during last week's game than actually following it in real-time. I do blame the result for my extreme hangover the next day though.

My brain says JMU loses this game, but the rest of me says they'll find a way to win.

JMU Newbill
October 8th, 2009, 06:23 AM
A group of students are making "Fire Durden" tee-shirts. Not sure if enough will be made for them to be visible, but I have to say, I agree with the sentiment.

BTW... anyone in Richmond watching the game anywhere? I might go to Big Al's out in the west end, although they always have a huge VT turnout, so I know that game will be on most of the tv's there.

BDKJMU
October 8th, 2009, 06:38 PM
A group of students are making "Fire Durden" tee-shirts. Not sure if enough will be made for them to be visible, but I have to say, I agree with the sentiment.

BTW... anyone in Richmond watching the game anywhere? I might go to Big Al's out in the west end, although they always have a huge VT turnout, so I know that game will be on most of the tv's there.

That will be the case with most sports bars in VA since the Hokies-BC game is on at the same time, and lets face it, 90+% of the people in VA who follow college ball are more interested in that game. I assume there might be a sports bar near the UR campus where it would be featured, but I assume you wouldn't want to be amongst a bunch of UR students & fans. Unless there is sports bar in NOVA or the Richmond area that is taken over by JMU fans, which I doubt since most big fans from NOVA & Richmond will be at the game, the only sports bars in VA outside of some UR sports bar that it will be the featured game will be Hams and BW3 in Harrisonburg.

BDKJMU
October 8th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere else. Mike London ESPN2 interview:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4542633

BDKJMU
October 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
WHSV TV: Tandem Expected to Replace Yancey on JMU Defense
http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/63711257.html

BDKJMU
October 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM
WHSV: Sullivan, Smith Back in for JMU Offense
http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/63806462.html

jmuroller
October 8th, 2009, 10:08 PM

I would love to hear more about this thought. Last time I checked our offense is one of the top offenses in the Nation every year. Always a top 3 in the CAA. One bad week on offense we are already firing Durden!

JMU Newbill
October 9th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I would love to hear more about this thought. Last time I checked our offense is one of the top offenses in the Nation every year. Always a top 3 in the CAA. One bad week on offense we are already firing Durden!

Just relaying what my nephew told me. I won't argue our offense has been great in the past, and it was good against a crappy VMI team and it was good against a MD team that I honestly think would have a losing record in the CAA. But between not choosing a qb, the conservative play calling (running on 3rd and long), not forcing tuck and run to make some actual throws down the field, and the plain old lack of ANY type of passing game over the last two weeks.... I think it's atleast good that the students are getting fired up about it.

Dukie95
October 9th, 2009, 07:28 AM
JMU cannot win without a running game. Their game is about ball control with bend but don't break defense. That typically serves us well against FCS teams becaue we can just out-talent, out-altheticise them on the ground. (This is also probably why we've struggled against FBS teams, because we don't match up well one-on-one).

We had no running game against VMI or Hofstra. JMU can beat the VMI's of the world without a running game, but they can't win in the CAA.

The personnel moves this week may seem a little desparate, but if JMU's going to get back on its feet, the running game comes has to come first. Moving Griff Yancey back to RB and starting Thorpe is all about re-establishing ground dominance.

Sometimes a good offense becomes your best defense, and JMU's got to get back to basics and re-establish its running game. So, even if moving Griff creates a hole in the secondary, the JMU coaches are probably willing to take that chance in an effort to get back to JMU football.

JMUNJ08
October 9th, 2009, 08:04 AM
JMU cannot win without a running game. Their game is about ball control with bend but don't break defense. That typically serves us well against FCS teams becaue we can just out-talent, out-altheticise them on the ground. (This is also probably why we've struggled against FBS teams, because we don't match up well one-on-one).

We had no running game against VMI or Hofstra. JMU can beat the VMI's of the world without a running game, but they can't win in the CAA.

The personnel moves this week may seem a little desparate, but if JMU's going to get back on its feet, the running game comes has to come first. Moving Griff Yancey back to RB and starting Thorpe is all about re-establishing ground dominance.

Sometimes a good offense becomes your best defense, and JMU's got to get back to basics and re-establish its running game. So, even if moving Griff creates a hole in the secondary, the JMU coaches are probably willing to take that chance in an effort to get back to JMU football.

JMU's defense normally has a massive whole in the secondary. xlolx We haven't been a solid group out their for awhile. Bend, don't break is definitely our method.

The problem is our talent doesn't trump everyone else's this year. Our play calling has been the same frustration for years but due some exceptional OL, RBs and QBs it didn't matter. The coaches needed to do a better job this year to set up the kids to win and not rely on their talent alone to get the job done. Everyone is just realizing the play calling now after a ROUGH road loss.

Hopefully UR forgets to bring their D with them....

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 9th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Does Mickey have anything to do with the Offensive design and play-calling? Or is it left entirely up to Durden?

mcveyrl
October 9th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Does Mickey have anything to do with the Offensive design and play-calling? Or is it left entirely up to Durden?

I'm pretty sure it's at least his call on the two QB system, which is what I'm most unhappy about.

I've never been much of a "fire the coordinator, but not the coach" guy. There has to be some accountability at the top.

But this is all premature (even if we lose the next three games, which is a real possibility). We passed for over 300 yards on VMI, we ran for over 300 yards against Liberty. We sucked against Hofstra (who also played very well). One bad game does not a season make. We had some games like that last year that we were lucky enough to pull out. I expect at least a good showing against UR and hopefully we can win at least one of the next three.

ur2k
October 9th, 2009, 10:23 AM
The fact that so many JMU fans are down on the team right now gives me the feeling that tomorrow is going to be a down-to-the-wire battle. I hope its not and we blow you out, but I don't see that happening. This series never plays out like we think it will.

JMUNJ08
October 9th, 2009, 10:59 AM
The fact that so many JMU fans are down on the team right now gives me the feeling that tomorrow is going to be a down-to-the-wire battle. I hope its not and we blow you out, but I don't see that happening. This series never plays out like we think it will.

The last 3 minutes of the game doesn't either (ala last year)! Or '05 after the 'chip

No at most a 10 point game I think as long as we can run and eat up some clock. But its just been an uneasy start to the season with a tough conference slate still ahead. We aren't blind about our team at least.

The X factor will be missing this weekend though. Being parent's weekend the crowd will be subdued which really kills the atmosphere. I think this has hurt us in year's past with the UR game. They cut off the student ticket amount and a good % don't even go! They should just have X number of tickets at the gate and when they run out, oh well.

BDKJMU
October 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Just relaying what my nephew told me. I won't argue our offense has been great in the past, and it was good against a crappy VMI team and it was good against a MD team that I honestly think would have a losing record in the CAA. But between not choosing a qb, the conservative play calling (running on 3rd and long), not forcing tuck and run to make some actual throws down the field, and the plain old lack of ANY type of passing game over the last two weeks.... I think it's atleast good that the students are getting fired up about it.

You don't think we've had a great offense in the past? Most of MM tenure it has been good. 06' you could maybe call great. Last year definitely so. #1 in the CAA in scoring offense (both all games and conference only) and #1 in total offense (conference only). #1 nationaly in scoring offense. #22 in avg per game.

Don't be ridiculous. MD would have a winning record in the CAA- they just knocked off Clemson. They are physically superior to any other team JMU will play all season.

After 1 bad game you've got a bunch of bandwagon idiots making "Fire Durden" t-shirts. Unbelieveable. There's going to be a lot of people telling these bandwagon idiots with the "Fire Durden" t-shirts what a bunch of ******* idiots they are. xrolleyesx

JMUNJ08
October 9th, 2009, 11:03 AM
"I won't argue, our offense has been great in the past"

He was saying it was good. The "," helps!

BDKJMU
October 9th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Against VMI: JMU rushed for 145, 2 TDs, on 37 carries, avg of only 3.9 per rush. There was 2 sacks for -6, so on rushing plays was 35 for 151, 4.3 per carry. But VMI was totally selling out to stop the run, putting 8-9 men in the box and daring JMU to pass, which JMU did, to the tune of 341. According to the UR fans, VMI did the same thing with UR: Sold out against the run. UR rushed for 154, almost identical to JMU, but Ward passed for a career high 394.

Against Hofstra: JMU rushed for 136 on 40, carries, only 3.4 yards per. But 4 of those plays were called passing plays (3 sacks for -12 and the snap past Thorpe that went for -20) On JMU's called running plays rushed 168 on 36 carries, about 4.7. And that included that -17 on the bad pitch and catch that got knocked backwards. Rushing totals that aren't really good, but not THAT bad.

So its gotten to the point where if JMU rushes for about 150, or unless JMU rushes for 200+, JMU fans are saying we have no running game.

gomer
October 9th, 2009, 11:20 AM
BDKJMU...Couldnt have said it any better. Those people are IDIOTS!

BDKJMU
October 9th, 2009, 11:22 AM
"I won't argue, our offense has been great in the past"

He was saying it was good. The "," helps!

Got it. The "has" probably should have been a "hasn't"

Dukie95
October 9th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful analysis, Mr. 6 post. xnonox

So its gotten to the point where if JMU rushes for about 150, or unless JMU rushes for 200+, JMU fans are saying we have no running game.

It's not like this is some tired argument. When was the last time they rushed for less than 150? UR at home in 2007.

When you look at what has been JMU's plan for success, it's been the running game. And if you look at last year's stats, we fell below 200 yds rushing only twice to Duke and Villanova (I). (Talking only net rushing here to keep things simple). We were fortunate to come away from Nova with a win.

Yes, I would consider mustering only 145 and 146 (against teams they were favored against) a significant problem for a team that requires a strong ground game to be successful. I'll concede that describing it as "no ground game" may have been hyperbole on my part, but for JMU, that's not acceptable.

gomer
October 9th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Yes I put alot of thought into that one. BDK pretty much said everything to the point. Why is everyone over reacting after one game. It is unbelievable what people are saying over on the zone. One poor game and the season is over with and Durden should be fired?

Sorry my post are so low...ill work on that so i have the right to post...

JMU Newbill
October 9th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I'm not over reacting to one game. I haven't like our play calling for a long time, but like it has been said, we had top notch players to pull us out of bad play calling situations.

I mean, how many bad play calls need to be pointed out. One of the countless third and forever situations that we ran the ball? How about running the ball at App State in 2007 with seconds left on the clock instead of kicking the GW field foal? How about the countless times we have gone for it on 4th down when we shouldn't (regardless of whether we actually got it or not)? I can think of a ton of games I have been sitting in the stands thinking, "Why the hell did we just run that play?"

So no, I'm not mad just because of the Hofstra game. I am mad about the years of my life I have lost because of bad play calling.

Dukie95
October 9th, 2009, 12:56 PM
gomer, I was mostly reacting to your calling people with a dissenting perspective an IDIOT.

I've actually been very level-headed about the whole thing. I realize you're never as good as you are when you're up or as bad as you are when you're down. I'm not among the chicken little group on the zone.

My entire point today was defending moving Griff back to RB. If we don't get back to our roots, and re-establish our running game, we ARE going to be in trouble. You expect to have trouble running agasint UR or Nova, not VMI or Hofstra. Something had to change and even if it hurts or defense a bit, moving Griff back is the right move.

gomer
October 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I was actually calling the people wearing the "Fire Durden" shirts idiots. If you are one of those people I am sorry.

Dukie95
October 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Heck no. They are idiots. :D

Eight Legger
October 9th, 2009, 01:24 PM
(just observing)

mcveyrl
October 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM
(just observing)

No kidding. This would be great entertainment if it wasn't my team. One bad game and it seems like the fanbase implodes on itself. This is part of the reason I despise the Tennessee Volunteers.

JMUNJ08
October 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I'm not over reacting to one game. I haven't like our play calling for a long time, but like it has been said, we had top notch players to pull us out of bad play calling situations.

I mean, how many bad play calls need to be pointed out. One of the countless third and forever situations that we ran the ball? How about running the ball at App State in 2007 with seconds left on the clock instead of kicking the GW field foal? How about the countless times we have gone for it on 4th down when we shouldn't (regardless of whether we actually got it or not)? I can think of a ton of games I have been sitting in the stands thinking, "Why the hell did we just run that play?"

So no, I'm not mad just because of the Hofstra game. I am mad about the years of my life I have lost because of bad play calling.

Are we the same person? xbowx

The only thing I will add is the number of times that we ran the same play twice in a row. If it worked great, we ran it again and got killed. If we got stuffed, we figured they wouldn't expect it again and got killed.

Talent doesn't win every game. Sometimes its a team effort of players and coaches. We can still be a 7 or 8 win team and make the playoffs (we are going on the road anyways) but we can't rely on the winning formula of the past to lead us through this particular season. Our coaches should be good enough to realize that and hopefully thats what the changes will show.

mcveyrl
October 9th, 2009, 03:51 PM

xeyebrowxxeyebrowx

Maybe plays were called according to the strengths of our players...you cannot tell me that the success we've enjoyed is ENTIRELY attribuable to players that could overcome coach's bad decisions.

JMU Newbill
October 9th, 2009, 06:02 PM
xeyebrowxxeyebrowx

Maybe plays were called according to the strengths of our players...you cannot tell me that the success we've enjoyed is ENTIRELY attribuable to players that could overcome coach's bad decisions.

I wouldn't say entirely, sorry if it came off like that. But I certainly wouldn't call play calling one of our team's strengths.

JMU Newbill
October 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
And maybe, I am sand bagging the hell out of JMU right now in hopes that we win tomorrow????

South Carolina Duke
October 9th, 2009, 06:17 PM

Agreed. But I still like Mickey. He does have balls as big as churchbells.

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I'm looking forward to this game and I believe the Dukes will be fired up after last week's defeat. I believe the pressure is all on Richmond to stay perfect and remain #1.

The goal now is to stay in the playoff hunt and we can do that by taking down the top two teams in back to back weeks.

Go Dukes..........I believe....

Tribe4SF
October 9th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I'm looking forward to this game and I believe the Dukes will be fired up after last week's defeat. I believe the pressure is all on Richmond to stay perfect and remain #1.

The goal now is to stay in the playoff hunt and we can do that by taking down the top two teams in back to back weeks.

Go Dukes..........I believe....

There is much more pressure on the Dukes than there is on Richmond. JMU will have its back against the wall if it can't pull out a victory in this one. 3-3 with games against Villanova, W&M, Delaware and UMass yet to come would be a dire position to be in.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 9th, 2009, 10:21 PM
There is much more pressure on the Dukes than there is on Richmond. JMU will have its back against the wall if it can't pull out a victory in this one. 3-3 with games against Villanova, W&M, Delaware and UMass yet to come would be a dire position to be in.

Completely agree. Richmond can afford to lose 3 more games and still make the playoffs at this point.

If JMU loses tomorrow, they have their backs against the wall until November 21st (and have Villanova coming in next week). That's pressure.

DTSpider
October 10th, 2009, 05:36 AM
I don't like going in to play the wounded dog. We're going to have to come out with the killer mentality to match the intensity we all know MM will have JMU bringing today.

Should be a great game...it always is between these two.

Hopefully the weather will hold out for tailgate. Packing up the car now - it'll be a good day. This is what fall is all about. Plenty of food & beer, scenic drive, chance to hang out with friends & family, 2 great football teams, etc.

StrikeJMU
October 10th, 2009, 07:23 AM
alright Thorpe, its time to do your best Rodney Landers impression.

JMU Newbill
October 10th, 2009, 09:50 AM
alright Thorpe, its time to do your best Rodney Landers impression.

I second that.xthumbsupx

ur2k
October 10th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I second that.xthumbsupx

I disagree with that. xwhistlex

Dukes_Bando
October 10th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Well as Dudzik is out for the season with a broken foot... It was a nice run we had, Good luck to you all with the rest of the season.

When does Basketball start?

JMU Newbill
October 10th, 2009, 04:32 PM
1) More horrible play calling.
2) Thorpe looked like a freshman today (2 ints, poor option decisions, bad throws, and of course the big fumble on the final drive).
3) I feel bad for the Richmond punter that broke his ankle, that was nasty
4) JMU's defense looked good
5) Authur Moats is a beast
6) Scotty McGee may be the best return man in the country, but he is an idiot for not calling fair catch (this is probably attributable to the coaches as well)

Good game to watch overall. I watched it at my buddy's house with a bunch of UR grads. Richmond, if JMU can't win the CAA, I'd prefer you did. Good luck the rest of the year.

JMU Newbill
October 10th, 2009, 04:33 PM
My hatred of Thorpe is growing. The high school volleyball team I coach plays against Varina (Thorpe's high school) on Tuesday. I hate Thorpe so much right now, I will find some way to justify us killing Varina as counting for payback against Thorpe.

Bettina90
October 10th, 2009, 04:55 PM
The penalty on McBride for hitting McGee was BS. He smoked him fair and square.

Good game by JMU, I hope their D-line is REAL good. I hate being in games like that against JMU where they are in four down territory because they seem impossible to stop when they have 4 to play with. Fortunately UR got the break they needed.

I see some holes in Richmond that worry me come playoff time, erratic offense, seemingly no TE bailout that was $$$ last year, and lack of a pass rush w/o a big blitz, hopefully some guys emerge in the next 6 weeks. Oh, and now no punter/Kickoff guy.

JMU Newbill
October 10th, 2009, 05:09 PM
The penalty on McBride for hitting McGee was BS. He smoked him fair and square.

Good game by JMU, I hope their D-line is REAL good. I hate being in games like that against JMU where they are in four down territory because they seem impossible to stop when they have 4 to play with. Fortunately UR got the break they needed.

I see some holes in Richmond that worry me come playoff time, erratic offense, seemingly no TE bailout that was $$$ last year, and lack of a pass rush w/o a big blitz, hopefully some guys emerge in the next 6 weeks. Oh, and now no punter/Kickoff guy.

I agree that the call on McBride was bs. Scotty had three different punts to him that he got drilled as soon as he caught it. Anyone who has played pop warner football would know to call fair catch. The coaches should have sat him down and laid him out.... but then again.... nevermind

paward
October 10th, 2009, 05:13 PM
We had issues last year this time as well, only difference is after JMU our backs were against the wall. This year we have some cushion in the schedule. We can go 3-3 and still have a good shot at the playoffs. That is every teams objective. We have yet to play the perfect game and still manage to be 5-0.

All teams get better as the season goes on. I am just happy we got JMU and Delaware out of the way. Next up is Maine. The CAA will hand you your butt on a platter any given sat, if you are not careful. JMU played very well today. We were flat at times. Some days it is better to be lucky than good. Today was one of those days.

DTSpider
October 10th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Just got back. Had a great time. Will have to watch on the DVR before commenting more on the game, but JMU's d-line was just nasty. Richmond is very fortunate to have made just enough plays to win.

SpidersSportsEditor
October 10th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Good game, both sides made some plays and both sides made their mistakes. Losing Dudzik was huge for JMU, he had them on a roll. Thorpe couldn't do it with the pass but they shouldn't have been passing in the first place. JMU D-line really put pressure on Ward, which is the only reason JMU stayed in the game. But even then, Ward came through. No QB I'd rather have on my team than him. Period.

MM was furious in the post game interview. Called Thorpe, "a child" and didn't allow him to talk to the media and then embarassed the JMU student newspaper writer. Glad we get to deal with London.

ur2k
October 10th, 2009, 08:03 PM
The JMU d played great. I haven't seen EW have to scramble around like that in a long time. I'll take the win and move on - tough game like always when these to schools play. I can't imagine a much better rivalry in any level right now.

South Carolina Duke
October 10th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Good game, both sides made some plays and both sides made their mistakes. Losing Dudzik was huge for JMU, he had them on a roll. Thorpe couldn't do it with the pass but they shouldn't have been passing in the first place. JMU D-line really put pressure on Ward, which is the only reason JMU stayed in the game. But even then, Ward came through. No QB I'd rather have on my team than him. Period.

MM was furious in the post game interview. Called Thorpe, "a child" and didn't allow him to talk to the media and then embarassed the JMU student newspaper writer. Glad we get to deal with London.

Well enjoy London while he lasts. Right wrong or indifferent, he is the perfect story for someone other than the Spiders.

South Carolina Duke
October 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM
"Tuck and Run" is starting and playing most of the game at qb? I may not even turn the tv on.

#7 Thorpe is a
"Affirmative Action" in progress. Unreal on how college athletics has become CORPORATE AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!

xnonox

South Carolina Duke
October 10th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I agree that the call on McBride was bs. Scotty had three different punts to him that he got drilled as soon as he caught it. Anyone who has played pop warner football would know to call fair catch. The coaches should have sat him down and laid him out.... but then again.... nevermind

#19 has put too much "faith" in either:

1. His faith in the Lord.
2. His own headlines.
3. HIS OWN OPINION OF HIM SELF. (I HAVE Thought this the etire year.)

He is going to get hurt. Who cares about lsoing a game........NOW!

YoUDeeMan
October 10th, 2009, 10:03 PM
#7 Thorpe is a
"Affirmative Action" in progress. Unreal on how college athletics has become CORPORATE AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!

xnonox

Dude...WTF? xnutsx

xnonox

Dukes_Bando
October 10th, 2009, 10:39 PM
#7 Thorpe is a

xnonox
Dude...WTF? xnutsx

xnonox

My thoughts exactly... I fail to see how this has any bearing on the performance or lack thereof on the field. Furthermore, please keep your veiled racism to yourself.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 10th, 2009, 10:39 PM
#7 Thorpe is a

xnonox

Evidence that it's best to avoid the keyboard after a long day of booze and losing to the 'Ticks'.

ItsyBitsySpider
October 10th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Having a coach who is coveted is a nice problem to have .. beats the alternative. Every program in FCS is a stepping stone.

Old Cat Fan
October 10th, 2009, 11:06 PM
comcast sports is now showing the replay of the game here in New Hampshire

State Line Liquors
October 10th, 2009, 11:53 PM
#7 Thorpe is a

xnonox

How many missing teeth and barefooted children does it take before you're officially embarrassed enough to say something so ig'nant?

Congrats to the Spiders for keeping that record spotless. A hard fought effort from JMU, that is still head and shoulders better than what the Hens were at their absolute worst last year.

Sorry about Dudzik. He didn't deserve this.

whitey
October 11th, 2009, 07:16 AM
What is wrong with you people? Thorpe is just a freshman. He deserves not only some slack but our support as well. Some of you are just unbelievable.

phoenix3
October 11th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Well enjoy London while he lasts. Right wrong or indifferent, he is the perfect story for someone other than the Spiders.

With the way UVA is stinking up the place, London could get the HC offer in the not too distant future.

Eight Legger
October 11th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I live in Varina and am proud at the strong history of Varina HS sending kids all over the country to top FBS and FCS programs. Michael Robinson of Penn State and the 49ers, Brandon Minor of Michigan, the Lewis brothers of Virginia Tech (one of whom now coaches for us) and a ton of others went to Varina. It was difficult to root against Thorpe yesterday, but I felt like the JMU fans around me were rooting even harder for him to fail. Way to support your players. I thought he played a pretty decent game and had a bunch of runs where we should have stopped him but he got 3-4 extra yards. He also made some pretty nice throws at times.

You guys keep berating him like you have, however, and he will move on to someplace where he's actually wanted.

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I believe if Duzik was able to play the entire game, the ending probably would have been different. Thorpe just made rookie mistakes and that is going to happen. I was not in favor of the two QB system, but we have Thorpe for the rest of the season now and this will be great experience for the kid.

Go Dukes

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM
You guys keep berating him like you have, however, and he will move on to someplace where he's actually wanted.

He's more than welcome to come home!

I think JMU fans have Rose-colored glassed on because of how good Rodney Landers was last year.

I think Thorpe is probably about as good as Landers was as a Junior ... and he's only a Freshman.

paward
October 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I will go on the record to say he is better than Landers and Ward as a freshman. If he stays are JMU he will win games and rings. Not sure where the JMU fans are going with this other then down the drain. Thorpe is a player!

JMU Newbill
October 11th, 2009, 11:42 AM
He's more than welcome to come home!

I think JMU fans have Rose-colored glassed on because of how good Rodney Landers was last year.

I think Thorpe is probably about as good as Landers was as a Junior ... and he's only a Freshman.

I wouldn't say that Thorpe is better than Landers as a junior... not as a hit against Thorpe, but that would be a very tall order and a pretty strong statement.

As I said in my previous post, Thorpe played like a freshman. It is what it is. I still think play calling has A LOT to do with it. I guess one way or another, I am going to have to learn to like him.

Dudzik is done at JMU. He was on the fence this year, lost his starting job as of yesterday anyway, and while the injury yesterday was unfortunate, that makes 3 reportable injuries in the last couple of months, one of which in a scrimmage against his own team. He will be on the outside looking in next year, escpecially if Thorpe develops like he should. Its unfortunate because I really felt like Dudzik was the reincarnate of Rascati. He had what, one or two drives yesterday, and produced our only offensive touchdown.

And FWIW, (most) JMU fans do not support any type of racial/AA comments that were made previously. That's out of line. xnonox

JMU Newbill
October 11th, 2009, 11:43 AM
With the way UVA is stinking up the place, London could get the HC offer in the not too distant future.

Would not surprise me one bit if London took the next step. He deserves it. I wish JMU had London.

DTSpider
October 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Some interesting comments on the board. I wanted to watch the replay before posting since my first row seat had some obscured views.

- Great game. I thought that UR might just roll all over JMU until the fake fg call. Honestly I have no clue what that was...but it really gave JMU life.

- Thorpe will be a stud. He had great vision running the ball and always fell forward. Unfortunately didn't hold the ball well enough (although it always seems JMU has that problem) and made one really bad throw (which always was on a bad read).

- JMU's d-line is just nasty. Moats & Daniels are almost impossible to contain.

- The officials did a great job. After watching it again - there really were not many bad calls at all. They did a great job on pass interference calls/non-calls. The hit that McBride put on McGee the 2nd time was very close. The announcers and all of the people around me (obviously) thought it was a bad call. Honestly - we had the perfect vantage point and both my buddy & I thought that McBride got there a split second early. Tough call and probably doesn't get called 95% of the time when the guy catches the ball. If McGee drops that ball no one (well, no one objective) thinks it's a bad call.

- Ward is rock solid. I hope that he gets some sort of postseason award, because it would be a shame that he could go his whole career without ever being all-conference. He's just amazing in the pocket and at making good decisions.

- There were way too many penalties. I think that both teams were really jacked up yesterday - but both need to cut down on those mistakes.

- It wouldn't surprise me at all to see JMU make the playoffs.

T-Dog
October 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM

How'd he embarrass the JMU student reporter?

mcveyrl
October 11th, 2009, 08:30 PM

I'd like the answer to that as well.

Just got back and settled. It was a great game. As somebody else stated, Thorpe just tried to do too much and made some mistakes. Not uncommon for a freshman playing against the best team in the country. I'm happy with where he is. Dudzik is better, but it is what it is.

I'm excited about the Villanova game. Our defense will keep it close and Thorpe will improve exponentially with every game. It's hard to say whether he's better than Landers as a freshman, but I can almost guarantee that at this rate he'll be better than Landers as a junior when he's a junior. In fact, I think part of the reason MM was pushing for Thorpe was because if he had it to do all over again with Landers he would've either split time with Rascati or started him over Rascati. Just my opinion though.

Good game Spiders. Well deserved win.

JMU Newbill
October 12th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Some interesting comments on the board. I wanted to watch the replay before posting since my first row seat had some obscured views.

- Ward is rock solid. I hope that he gets some sort of postseason award, because it would be a shame that he could go his whole career without ever being all-conference. He's just amazing in the pocket and at making good decisions.

I couldn't agree with you more. Most other qb's would have been dropped 5 times as much with the pass rush we put on yesterday. He was constantly avoiding the rush and at least getting back to the line or getting rid of the ball. He's a winner.

Dukie95
October 12th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I know everyone wants to point to the fumble, but JMU lost that game in the first quarter when it looked like Richmond was going to hang 55 on the Dukes. Momentum clearly shifted in the 2nd quarter (maybe with that botched/fake FG) and JMU was able to take over the game.

From the Daily News-Record this morning.

The Spiders (5-0 overall, 3-0 in the Colonial Athletic Association) took a 14-3 lead in the first quarter, then saw JMU's defense dominate the rest of the game. After gaining 132 yards and 14 points in the first quarter, Richmond managed just 132 more yards and seven points the rest of the game.

So, the defense got into gear and I can't recall a team with as many 3rd and 20+ as Richmond had in the second half of that game.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I don't feel so bad after that loss. Sure it sucks, but how many JMU fans had penciled that one as a loss on the schedule going in anyway? I know I did. For us to be in a position to win that game with such a young team gives me hope. That game showed me that the Hofstra game was an anomaly and we haven't really taken a precipitous drop in the CAA.

That's not the loss that's going to keep us out of the playoffs, the Hofstra game was.

Dukie95
October 12th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Everyone wants to draw parallels to the ASU fumble a few years ago. But keep in mind:

In that game, JMU could have won with a FG with under 15 seconds or so. They elected to run yet another play, in which the player fumbled the ball.

In this game, JMU needed a TD to win with a 1st and G on the 6.

The ASU game was much more "in the bag" than the UR one was.

Dukie95
October 12th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Earlier in this thread, I talked about the Dukes needing to re-establish their running game. I saw it in that final drive. I believe they got the ball back when there were 6 minutes and change on the clock. That sustained drive of 4 ypc runs is exactly what we've been missing this season.

jmufan999
October 12th, 2009, 08:20 AM
MM was furious in the post game interview. Called Thorpe, "a child"

you're taking this WAY out of context.

when he said this, he was completely calm... if anything, he was making an excuse for Thorpe. he said that he's just "a kid". meaning, he's a kid that's going to make mistakes. there was nothing even remotely wrong with what mickey said.

as far as the game, richmond is just a better team. moats definitely kept us in the game. the blocked punt helped. but richmond is definitely better, i hope they win the conference.

mcveyrl
October 12th, 2009, 08:29 AM
you're taking this WAY out of context.

when he said this, he was completely calm... if anything, he was making an excuse for Thorpe. he said that he's just "a kid". meaning, he's a kid that's going to make mistakes. there was nothing even remotely wrong with what mickey said.

as far as the game, richmond is just a better team. moats definitely kept us in the game. the blocked punt helped. but richmond is definitely better, i hope they win the conference.

Yea, there's a big difference in calling him a "child" and a "kid." I'm my dad's kid and I'm 30. Kid (as pointed out above) just means inexperienced to the speaker.

Child, IMO, is much more derogatory.

JMUNJ08
October 12th, 2009, 08:42 AM
- Thorpe will be a stud. He had great vision running the ball and always fell forward. Unfortunately didn't hold the ball well enough (although it always seems JMU has that problem) and made one really bad throw (which always was on a bad read).

- JMU's d-line is just nasty. Moats & Daniels are almost impossible to contain.

- It wouldn't surprise me at all to see JMU make the playoffs.

2 out of 3 ain't bad here. People saw Dudzik as the leader of the team this year and Thorpe as the under study. A lot has been said about him not looking ready to go and I think that is why some are real upset. I knew if he started the whole season, we weren't going to make the playoffs.

I DON'T DOUBT THORPE WILL BE A STUD in the coming years. He just has to mature so fast this year for us to get there. The freshman mistakes don't count as excuses if you are the starting QB.

Can we please get Moats to first team all FCS???? I am amazed every game.

Playoffs??? ....next year...xcoffeex

spdram
October 12th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Moats is an animal, he's got my vote.

paward
October 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Have to agree with you on Moats. He is the best we have seen all year. JMU only rushed 3 and he was like two for one. I am sure Ward do not want to see him again. on the field. He was in his face all day. That touchdown pass had to be quick. Moats was in he backfield as soon as the snap was made.

Dukie95
October 12th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure how any less talented/experienced QB would have handled that pressure. He had the composure to throw the ball out of bounds and not go into panic mode in what must have been frustrating.

I agree with the Harrisonburg Daily News-Record's Mike Barber when he tweeted this during the game:

Eric Ward is the best player on the best team in the best league in I-AA football. How this guy is not on the Payton List is mind boggling.

http://twitter.com/VaSportspen/status/4763949200

SpidersSportsEditor
October 12th, 2009, 12:50 PM

First, the JMU kid asked if Dudzik would have continued playing if he hadn't ben injured and MM called it a bad question and refused to answer it.

Then the kid asked if JMU was better than its record indicated, which, I thought, was a very fair question. MM responded with a pretty long rant which included the lines of "I don't know, what kind of question is that. You "Breeze" guys are something else." The Breeze being the JMU student newspaper.

I understand a coach being upset after a game like that, but show some class. It wasn't like he berated the kid or anything, but he definitely embarrassed him in a room full of other reporters and dissed the student newspaper of his own school.

SpidersSportsEditor
October 12th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Yea, there's a big difference in calling him a "child" and a "kid." I'm my dad's kid and I'm 30. Kid (as pointed out above) just means inexperienced to the speaker.

Child, IMO, is much more derogatory.

Just for the record, he said "he's a child", not kid. It came off as derogatory and you could claim he was "calm", but he was far from calm. He may have been using it as an excuse to bail Thorpe out, but if that were the case he could have chosen his words a little more carefully. Maybe MM thinks the best way to motiviate a young quarterback is to challenge him by calling him out like that. I certainly wouldn't doubt that it could work, seeing how successful he has been with the JMU program.

mcveyrl
October 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Just for the record, he said "he's a child", not kid. It came off as derogatory and you could claim he was "calm", but he was far from calm. He may have been using it as an excuse to bail Thorpe out, but if that were the case he could have chosen his words a little more carefully. Maybe MM thinks the best way to motiviate a young quarterback is to challenge him by calling him out like that. I certainly wouldn't doubt that it could work, seeing how successful he has been with the JMU program.

Yea, I just looked up the article:

“He’s a child,” JMU coach Mickey Matthews said of the redshirt freshman’s miscue. “In retrospect, we probably should’ve ran the ball, four shots. He carries the ball too loosely and until he grows up and understands that, he’s gonna drop the ball.”

http://breezejmu.org/2009/10/12/jmu-fumbles-richmond-game-away/

I think it's probably the same thing he told Thorpe to his face, so it's not a big deal IMO, but it is more derogatory than "kid."

mcveyrl
October 16th, 2009, 11:24 AM
This pic was up on JMU Sports and I thought it was a great picture. Really kind of indicative of our day Saturday: so close, but not close enough (I can almost guarantee you that Ward got this ball away or scrambled and did something with it)