PDA

View Full Version : SUU and the Southland?

TBirdz
October 5th, 2009, 02:53 PM
As a fan of SUU, I am always thinking of how they could find a more stable conference situation. I think eventually Poly and Davis could join the WAC, even though that's way down the line. My pain point is that the Great West is not going to be around very long. And if it is, in my opinion, it's going to be a conference for those teams in transition. In a perfect world, we would be the tenth member of the Sky. But another thing to consider is whether anyone thinks that the Southland may ever consider inviting SUU into the conference. I think one good thing we have going for us are the matchups we have developed with McNeese, TX St, and SFA over the last few years. I know we are a bit of a Western reach, but with TX St, UTSA, and maybe Lamar and/or Sam Houston potentially eyeing the move to FBS, the conference will have to search for some members. I would love to see New Mexico St. wisen up, go back to FCS, and for the Southland to invite both of us. Maybe it would also be logical for NAU to join too. Something to discuss. SOUTHern utah

katstrapper
October 5th, 2009, 02:56 PM
As a fan of SUU, I am always thinking of how they could find a more stable conference situation. I think eventually Poly and Davis could join the WAC, even though that's way down the line. My pain point is that the Great West is not going to be around very long. And if it is, in my opinion, it's going to be a conference for those teams in transition. In a perfect world, we would be the tenth member of the Sky. But another thing to consider is whether anyone thinks that the Southland may ever consider inviting SUU into the conference. I think one good thing we have going for us are the matchups we have developed with McNeese, TX St, and SFA over the last few years. I know we are a bit of a Western reach, but with TX St, UTSA, and maybe Lamar and/or Sam Houston potentially eyeing the move to FBS, the conference will have to search for some members. I would love to see New Mexico St. wisen up, go back to FCS, and for the Southland to invite both of us. Maybe it would also be logical for NAU to join too. Something to discuss. SOUTHern utah

Would like to see some fresh blood in the conference, but it wouldnt happen. Just like SHSU going FBS. I dont see it happening.

A little far for schools to be traveling. SUU should be trying the Big Sky. NAU, N. Colorado, Montana Schools, Weber St, Portland St, E. Washington would be a better fit for the T-Birds.

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Two important factors...

1) The Big Sky does not want Southern Utah. I thought they already decided on Northern Colorado over Southern Utah, right?

2) The SLC has pretty much stated it does not want a football-only member or to add a member that competes in football in another league (see ULM a few years back). If some schools leave, look for the SLC to eyeball Delta State and/or Tarleton State as the top two options. If a non-football member is sought, would like to see Oral Roberts and possibly if they get their act together - HBU.

KatStrapper, SHSU is exploring FBS options as is TXST, Lamar and UTSA. What comes of it is anyone's guess - but under the current system, we won't be FBS. Our President may be thinking that we can make the jump and if Lamar and/or SFA jumps - we will follow - regardless of how awful a decision is. We got to get our ducks in a row before we make the jump.

Tim James
October 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM
The Big Sky obviously has certain standards and criteria they are looking for then when they add new members and SUU should be looking at meeting those miminal standards at LEAST to try to ensure membership.

griz8791
October 5th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I could be wrong about this, but I don't remember SUU being on the table when the Big Sky voted on UNC. If I'm correct about this it would mean the conference has not already voted against SUU.

Now grab a bag of popcorn and wait for the posts to roll in about the Big Sky not taking the xDSUs.

DG Cowboy
October 5th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Sometimes all this finagling brings back memories of a simpler time with the old 1960's Lone Star Conference and Gulf States Conference. Ah well, my apologies for the reminiscing. Time has marched on. But the NFL players those two turned out was awesome. Bring on SUU. I like 'em. They and McNeese have had some donnybrooks.

McNeese72
October 5th, 2009, 04:45 PM
As has been pointed out, the Southland is not looking for football only members. And when you start considering the traveling expenses all the other sports would have, then it doesn't look like such a good addition. Nothing against SUU but you have to consider the money and costs.

Doc

Western_101
October 5th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I could be wrong about this, but I don't remember SUU being on the table when the Big Sky voted on UNC. If I'm correct about this it would mean the conference has not already voted against SUU.

Now grab a bag of popcorn and wait for the posts to roll in about the Big Sky not taking the xDSUs.

I could be mistaken, but, I was under the impression that the xDSU's opted for the MVFC over the BigSky.

BearsCountry
October 5th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I could be mistaken, but, I was under the impression that the xDSU's opted for the MVFC over the BigSky.

No they sought membership in the Big Sky first. But it turned out to be the best thing to happen to them - MVFC is a better football conference and the Summit is a better fit for the rest of their sports until the MVC comes a calling.