18. South Dakota St. 785
19. Holy Cross 633
20. Jacksonville St. 604
21. Weber St. 552
22. Colgate 337
23. Florida A&M 314
24. Delaware 289
25. Furman 200

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Liberty (52), Montana St. (46), Stephen F. Austin (30), Eastern Illinois (29), Hofstra (12), Samford (9), Texas St. (9), Prairie View A&M (7), The Citadel (7), Harvard (5),

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Villanova
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: James Madison

WrenFGun
October 5th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Seriously, who is voting Montana #1?

JSU02
October 5th, 2009, 12:03 PM
At least Weber isn't grossly over ranked now.

ToTheLeft
October 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Wow, VERY close for the top 2 spots. I like to see that. Good to see Gate and HC moving up, those are to teams I have been helping slide up the rankings. I think JMU and Weber look alright, but you could argue for them to be lower or higher.

ISUMatt
October 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I like how this poll looks...not too many crazy ORVs either...good job boys!!

Ivytalk
Decent poll, but 10 fewer voters. The last half-dozen spots could have ended up any which way.

Silenoz
A lot of 2 loss teams in front of Montana State...

ISUMatt
Good to see S Carolina St didnt suffer too much for a good game vs an FBS

ElonPride
October 5th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Glad to see that Furman still sits are #25. The EU/FU was neck and neck the entire way.......possibly the 2 best defenses in the conference.

CatFan22
October 5th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Lost even more respect for this poll again this week.

Dane96
October 5th, 2009, 12:08 PM
No offense to IvyTalk...but why is Harvard receiving ANY votes.

For that matter, and no offense to my Hofstra Friends (sans 1), why did Hofstra get 11 votes?

11 people seriously believe that after one game (JMU) Hofstra is a top-25 program.

Not bad otherwise.

Dane96
October 5th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Lost even more respect for this poll again this week.

Because MSU isnt in?

Frankly, why should they be. Yes, they beat a very good Weber squad....but you own wins over Dixie State, a less than marginal No. Colorado...and your signature Weber win.

While consideration for Top 25 status should be there...you are more like 24-28.

WMTribe90
October 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Good poll. I had MSU and Liberty as my last two in the top 25. I think JSU could be a little higher and SFA has an argument that they should be ranked. Nothing glaringly unreasonable about this poll IMO.

CatFan22
Because MSU isnt in?

Frankly, why should they be. Yes, they beat a very good Weber squad....but you own wins over Dixie State, a less than marginal No. Colorado...and your signature Weber win.

While consideration for Top 25 status should be there...you are more like 24-28.

So why is Weber still in? Let alone ahead of us?
I only really have a problem with the fact they are ahead of us.

R.A.

They deserve a 1st place vote or two until they get wacked.

The Griz are National runners up and have a good record this season.

WMTribe90
October 5th, 2009, 12:15 PM

For that matter, and no offense to my Hofstra Friends (sans 1), why did Hofstra get 11 votes?

11 people seriously believe that after one game (JMU) Hofstra is a top-25 program.

Not bad otherwise.

No problem with Hofsrtra getting some votes at this point. They are legit top 30 at this point. They are 3-2 with an FBS loss. They got pasted by UR, but they have thre FCS wins, including one over a ranked opponent. I'lllikely have them in my top 25 at 4-2. Probably not a playoff team, but they COULD be a top 25 program this year.

Go...gate
October 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Nice to see Colgate in there.

Uncle Buck

Not bad otherwise.

None taken. I figured 30 is about where we would be right now.

GOKATS

A griz fan, who else?

gbhmt
October 5th, 2009, 12:17 PM
A griz fan, who else?

Homer votes don't count. xcoffeex

GOKATS
October 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM

I dropped Weber but still have them ahead of the Cats. They're a top notch team and it'll take more quality wins for MSU to move up (it'll happenxthumbsupx).

JSU02
October 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I think JSU could be a little higher...
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!

WrenFGun
October 5th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah, it actually CANNOT be a Griz fan.

I don't see how you vote the national runner up over the national champion...even that logic doesn't makes sense if you want to start with backwards logic in the first place.

WMTribe90
October 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Agreed, I have MSU at 25 and dropped Weber frommy poll. At 2-3 with losses to two winnable FBS opponents I think they need to play their way back into the top 25 and should not be ranked above MSU.

DOME
October 5th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I did have Montana St in...4-0 says a lot even if a couple of the teams have been a little soft.

CatFan22
October 5th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I did have Montana St in...4-0 says a lot even if a couple of the teams have been a little soft.

3-1 actually. 1 loss against Michigan St.

Silenoz
October 5th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Because MSU isnt in?

That's one more quality win than Colgate or Holy Cross have

uofmman1122
October 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM

I don't see how you vote the national runner up over the national champion...even that logic doesn't makes sense if you want to start with backwards logic in the first place.By that logic, no one should be voting for anyone other than Richmond.

If it's okay for someone to vote for Villanova or UNI over Richmond, then why not Montana?

ISUMatt
October 5th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Montana St my #27 this week

WrenFGun
October 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
By that logic, no one should be voting for anyone other than Richmond.

If it's okay for someone to vote for Villanova or UNI over Richmond, then why not Montana?

Let me elaborate...voting Richmond or Montana because of last year's performance is foolish, but if you're going to operate using that criteria, then you should be voting for Richmond, not Montana. I advocate voting on resume, which is why Villanova is my #1 team and Richmond is my #2 team, but Montana's resume doesn't sniff either of those two, or UNI (my #3).

tribe_pride
October 5th, 2009, 12:32 PM
By that logic, no one should be voting for anyone other than Richmond.

I think he was responding to R.A. who said "They deserve a 1st place vote or two until they get wacked.

The Griz are National runners up and have a good record this season. "

That logic doesn't make sense if the National champs don't get "whacked." Could be wrong but that is how I interpreted his comments.

Dane96
October 5th, 2009, 12:33 PM
None taken. I figured 30 is about where we would be right now.

Exactly where I have them! :)

Redwyn
October 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM
My bad for missing a vote. Got caught up studying and didn't have time to get away. Next week!

SumItUp
October 5th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I'm beginning to think the Central Arkansas squad is overrated. Their #11 ranking is looking gawdy with when you consider that they have only one D-1 win against a Western Kentucky team that would probably lose 20 games against the top 30 in FCS. Is Central Arkansas not being rightly scrutinized because they are not eligible for the playoffs?

soccerguy315
October 5th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Let me elaborate...voting Richmond or Montana because of last year's performance is foolish, but if you're going to operate using that criteria, then you should be voting for Richmond, not Montana. I advocate voting on resume, which is why Villanova is my #1 team and Richmond is my #2 team, but Montana's resume doesn't sniff either of those two, or UNI (my #3).

Unless you are voting based on last year, plus what the teams lost in the off season (if you think Richmond lost more than Montana). So, if Montana was your preseason #1, then you might not have a reason to drop them. I don't like or agree with that way of thinking, but that might be what is happening.

I don't vote, but my top 5 would be:
Nova
Richmond
UNI
Montana
UNH

Uncle Buck
October 5th, 2009, 12:36 PM
My bad for missing a vote. Got caught up studying and didn't have time to get away. Next week!

That excuse just doesn't fly around here mister! :p

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I'm beginning to think the Central Arkansas squad is overrated. Their #11 ranking is looking gawdy with when you consider that they have only one D-1 win against a Western Kentucky team that would probably lose 20 games against the top 30 in FCS. Is Central Arkansas not being rightly scrutinized because they are not eligible for the playoffs?

Central Arkansas is GOOD! They would have won the SLC last year and would win it this year and are favorites going into next year.

BTW: UD over Liberty??? Will the Flames ever get some love?

MaximumBobcat
October 5th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Just because someone is not voting the same way that you do, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Some people look at sagarin ratings, some people just look at the scores, some people have mathematical formulas and some people just look at the teams each week and vote for who they think is best. xtwocentsx

BEAR
October 5th, 2009, 12:50 PM

3-1 with their only loss to Hawaii on a dumb offsides by one of their linemen. You have to remember they lost their best QB (nathan brown), best WR(Willie Landers) , best TE(Marquez branson) and their Oline is seriously banged up. Their defense is tops in the SLC and they would compete in the playoffs if given the opportunity this year. (Of course pending final record and eligibility) It's ok not to know much about them. Just look at what they've done to McNeese and the SLC last year, how they hung with Hawaii this year, and have won all their games they should have won. They're solid. Looking at their schedule coming up, I don't see more than 1 or 2 losses max. Coach Conque just continues to reload the talent every year, kinda like Ark. State did in the FCS. (I guess since they won the nat. title xcoffeex ) xlolx Next year hopefully the FCS world will be introduced to the Bears. xlolx

AGSPoll
October 5th, 2009, 12:54 PM

I can tell you the voter voting Montana #1 is not a Montana homer, and in fact has voted them #1 in every poll this year...xthumbsupx

Go...gate
October 5th, 2009, 12:57 PM

You need ro re-examine your priorities, young man!! xnonono2xxnonoxxrotatehx:Dxlolx

SumItUp
October 5th, 2009, 01:00 PM
3-1 with their only loss to Hawaii on a dumb offsides by one of their linemen. You have to remember they lost their best QB (nathan brown), best WR(Willie Landers) , best TE(Marquez branson) and their Oline is seriously banged up. Their defense is tops in the SLC and they would compete in the playoffs if given the opportunity this year. (Of course pending final record and eligibility) It's ok not to know much about them. Just look at what they've done to McNeese and the SLC last year, how they hung with Hawaii this year, and have won all their games they should have won. They're solid. Looking at their schedule coming up, I don't see more than 1 or 2 losses max. Coach Conque just continues to reload the talent every year, kinda like Ark. State did in the FCS. (I guess since they won the nat. title xcoffeex ) xlolx Next year hopefully the FCS world will be introduced to the Bears. xlolx

I don't disagree that they are a good team. My point is there does not seem to be the same scrutiny being applied to them. They are the ONLY team in the top 25 that has a single D1 win and they are only one sport removed from the Top 10.

aceinthehole
October 5th, 2009, 01:01 PM
That's one more quality win than Colgate or Holy Cross have

I agree! There are too many double standards when ranking teams.

#22 Colgate is a good team and at 5-0, likely worthy of a top-25 ranking. But let's be real, their best win is still Monmouth!

#19 Holy Cross's (4-0) best win is Harvard???? Georgetown and Sacred Heart are really that valuable?

This goes to my point about teams like CCSU do not get the same credit for their wins. The excuse not to rank CCSU is because they do not have a "quality win." OK, if that is the reason, why do other teams get credit for their equally weak schedules/wins?!?!?!

Who has Weber State, EIU, or Texas State beaten that is worth a lick of salt? This is just a crazy double standard!!!

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 01:04 PM

#22 Colgate is a good team and at 5-0, likely worthy of a top-25 ranking. But let's be real, their best win is still Monmouth!

#19 Holy Cross's (4-0) best win is Harvard???? Georgetown and Sacred Heart are really that valuable?

This goes to my point about that teams like CCSU do not get the same credit for their wins. The excuse not to rank CCSU is because they do not have a "quality win." OK, if that is the reason, why do other teams get credit for their equally weak schedules/wins?!?!?!

Who has Weber State, EIU, or Texas State beaten that is worth a lick of salt? This is just a crazy double standard!!!

When you defeat the teams you are supposed to beat, by wide margins, you gain some points and open some eyes. 'gate & HC has done that and are worthy of being ranked this week.

BEAR
October 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I don't disagree that they are a good team. My point is there does not seem to be the same scrutiny being applied to them. They are the ONLY team in the top 25 that has a single D1 win and they are only one sport removed from the Top 10.

True. But that is how their schedule worked out. They had UAPB scheduled last week but UAPB canceled on them. I can imagine that would have been a win also. But that's all hypothetical. They have 12 games this year with 10 of them DI. Who knows how it will all play out, but it really doesn't matter since they aren't playoff eligible this year anyway. I just helps in recruiting I guess. Plus those that vote for UCA to be in the top 25 probably realize they are good enough to be there. They are going to have to prove it the next few weeks. I'm also a believer in starting the polls in the 5th or 6th week when FCS vs. FCS is a common occurence. xthumbsupx

ToTheLeft
October 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!

I gave ya'll 13 points this week, waiting for everyone else to catch up and start giving you more. xthumbsupx

EKU05
October 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I think EKU is ranked appropriately, but I almost feel a little guilty about being the top OVC team. To me Jax State has been the best looking team in the league and I can't figure out why they're only 20.

GannonFan
October 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Central Arkansas is GOOD! They would have won the SLC last year and would win it this year and are favorites going into next year.

JMU's loss to Hofstra, and if JMU continues to lose over the next few weeks, just kills Liberty. What they were hoping was a good loss could end up being a not so impressive loss, depending on how JMU fares going forward.

McNeese75
October 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM

xrolleyesx
Maybe so but they would probably beat the Flames like a tied up goat xnodx

McNeese75
October 5th, 2009, 01:47 PM

xrolleyesx Damn, I missed that article and the results of all their entire 2009 SLC conference games xwhistlex

SumItUp
October 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM
xrolleyesx
Maybe so but they would probably beat the Flames like a tied up goat xnodx

I'd love to see that game on the schedule since I could drive to watch it. The only tied up goats would be those running around the field in Conway. xwhistlex

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM
JMU's loss to Hofstra, and if JMU continues to lose over the next few weeks, just kills Liberty. What they were hoping was a good loss could end up being a not so impressive loss, depending on how JMU fares going forward.
I know, I know. I was very surprised by the outcome of that game. Perhaps Hofstra is underrated in the CAA?

McNeese75
October 5th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I'd love to see that game on the schedule since I could drive to watch it. The only tied up goats would be those running around the field in Conway. xwhistlex

xlolx xthumbsupx

UNH Fanboi
October 5th, 2009, 01:56 PM

The "They're #1 until they get beat" mentality is dumb, but that's how most people think and vote. I think Nova and Northern Iowa have definitely looked more impressive so far, but It's just a poll, so whatever.

soccerguy315
October 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I know, I know. I was very surprised by the outcome of that game. Perhaps Hofstra is underrated in the CAA?

I think JMU wins that game [this season] at least 7 or 8 of 10. Remember Hofstra lost to Richmond by like 50.

JMU laid an egg. They aren't out of it, but their backs are definitely against the wall.

CopperCat
October 5th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Because MSU isnt in?

Last I checked, spots 24 and 25 were IN the poll.

MSU should be in. Period. What a joke. Maybe I'll just quit wasting my time on voting.

JMUNJ08
October 5th, 2009, 02:15 PM
It is tough for many of us to get a look at Montana State. Your team may be very good but we all do not get your games on the east coast. If your good tho, the committee will give you love. Thats all that matters in the end.

CopperCat
October 5th, 2009, 02:16 PM
It is tough for many of us to get a look at Montana State. Your team may be very good but we all do not get your games on the east coast. If your good tho, the committee will give you love. Thats all that matters in the end.

The video feeds are free on bigskytv.org.

GannonFan
October 5th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Hofstra isn't terrible, but they did lose to Richmond 47-0 just weeks after UD should've beaten Richmond save for a last second FG block. Hofstra beat Stony Brook by a TD and Bryant University by 2 TD's before knocking off JMU - not a terribly strong resume there.

This is probably more telling for JMU - there was some question as to how good JMU might be this year with the losses to graduation last year. They've got 2 losses now and a pretty daunting schedule ahead of them, including a home game against a Richmond team that always plays well in Harrisonburg, nova, and 3 road games against W&M, UD, and UMass. Hofstra was the easiest opponent of any of those games. On the bright side, though, we'll know most of what we need to know about JMU after the next two weeks, positive or negative. xthumbsupx

danefan
October 5th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Exactly where I saw MSU struggle with Dixie State. xcoffeexxcoffeex

MSU is in the same boat as Hofstra.

Just on the outside looking in after loses to FBS teams, wins over mid-pack FCS teams, wins over DII or transitioning DII teams, and a win over a good FCS team.

MSU had the luxury of a bye week. Hofstra had the misfortune of playing the defending national champs and all-around very good Richmond.

If either team continues to win, they'll both be in.

JMUNJ08
October 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM

I will look into it thanks! Too bad I don't vote thoughxcoffeex

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Hofstra isn't terrible, but they did lose to Richmond 47-0 just weeks after UD should've beaten Richmond save for a last second FG block. Hofstra beat Stony Brook by a TD and Bryant University by 2 TD's before knocking off JMU - not a terribly strong resume there.

This is probably more telling for JMU - there was some question as to how good JMU might be this year with the losses to graduation last year. They've got 2 losses now and a pretty daunting schedule ahead of them, including a home game against a Richmond team that always plays well in Harrisonburg, nova, and 3 road games against W&M, UD, and UMass. Hofstra was the easiest opponent of any of those games. On the bright side, though, we'll know most of what we need to know about JMU after the next two weeks, positive or negative. xthumbsupx

Maybe, just maybe, Richmond and 'Nova are just the absolute best in the CAA and the FCS.

catbob
October 5th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I have no probem with MSU not being in. I disagree, obviously, but if you didn't have MSU in your top 30 to start the season then it might be hard to bump them up that fast into the top 25.

Rest assured Cat fans, the fate of our season is in our hands, not these voters. 7 games left, win 6 of those are we are in the playoffs. Even 5 might do it, depending on who we lose to.

panther25
October 5th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Maybe, just maybe, Richmond and 'Nova are just the absolute best in the CAA and the FCS.

Sure I'm a homer, but I have to say that it is looking that way. I'd throw UNH and UNI into that mix though also. Both teams have looked very good this year. I'd say Montana but I am boy cotting the idea of giving them credit as of right now. xlolxxlolx

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Sure I'm a homer, but I have to say that it is looking that way. I'd throw UNH and UNI into that mix though also. Both teams have looked very good this year. I'd say Montana but I am boy cotting the idea of giving them credit as of right now. xlolxxlolx

I can't wait for the playoffs but i will have to settle for that UNH-Nova game this weekend.
BTW: is it being shown on tv?

JSU02
October 5th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I think EKU is ranked appropriately, but I almost feel a little guilty about being the top OVC team. To me Jax State has been the best looking team in the league and I can't figure out why they're only 20.

You and me both, I guess its 'Cock envy xlolx

UCABEARS75
October 5th, 2009, 02:38 PM
xrolleyesx Damn, I missed that article and the results of all their entire 2009 SLC conference games xwhistlex

LMAO!!!

Way to keep him in line '75.

UCABEARS75
October 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM

What's all this "they" and "their" stuff.

It's WE and OUR.

UCABEARS75
October 5th, 2009, 02:42 PM

They would only be tied up until we got the fire good and hot!!

panther25
October 5th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I can't wait for the playoffs but i will have to settle for that UNH-Nova game this weekend.
BTW: is it being shown on tv?

Based on the knowledge I have, no it is not being televised. Which is disappointing. I am supposed to be going up to NH this weekend for the game, but current funds do not maket that look possible. xsmhx

UNH Fanboi
October 5th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Based on the knowledge I have, no it is not being televised. Which is disappointing. I am supposed to be going up to NH this weekend for the game, but current funds do not maket that look possible. xsmhx

There's a feed on the UNH website that's available for $8, but it's pretty crappy (basically just a webcam on the 50 yard line), or at least it was for the St. Francis game. I'll probably just listen on the radio.

B&G
October 5th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Too Low: SFA & Jax State

Too High: JMU & App State

Overall not bad though.

KiddBrewer
October 5th, 2009, 03:29 PM
i like the look of the poll. good job guys.

id vote, but id screw it up....cause even though im dedicated, im not nearly as dedicated as you guys are!xthumbsupxxcoffeex

appfan2008
October 5th, 2009, 03:35 PM
looks good... i had asu #10 like they ended up but what i saw in boone and charleston the last few weeks is depressing and not top 10 good...

panther25
October 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
looks good... i had asu #10 like they ended up but what i saw in boone and charleston the last few weeks is depressing and not top 10 good...

So you disagree with your own poll? That's a first xlolxxlolx

WileECoyote06
October 5th, 2009, 04:32 PM

This goes to my point about teams like CCSU do not get the same credit for their wins. The excuse not to rank CCSU is because they do not have a "quality win." OK, if that is the reason, why do other teams get credit for their equally weak schedules/wins?!?!?!

I voted for ya. I admit though, I probably just missed Montana State.

I'm also glad SCSU wasn't penalized greatly; they played well against USC. Their Oline didn't allow a sack the entire game.

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM

You are correct.

The next two weeks JMU will take on #1 Richmond followed by #2 Nova. I see both of these games as a must win for the Dukes. I know starting with 2004 the home team has not won this game so that is a plus for UR this weekend. I'm hoping to see that trend stop.

I'm not sold on the two QB system JMU is playing and I would like to see that put to an end.

Go Dukes

McNeese75
October 5th, 2009, 05:14 PM
You are correct.

The next two weeks JMU will take on #1 Richmond followed by #2 Nova. I see both of these games as a must win for the Dukes. I know starting with 2004 the home team has not won this game so that is a plus for UR this weekend. I'm hoping to see that trend stop.

I'm not sold on the two QB system JMU is playing and I would like to see that put to an end.

Go Dukes

Get out there and whip some of that spider and nova azz!!! (Then us southerners can vote all of yall out of the top 10) :D xpeacex

GrizFamily
October 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I have no probem with MSU not being in. I disagree, obviously, but if you didn't have MSU in your top 30 to start the season then it might be hard to bump them up that fast into the top 25.

Rest assured Cat fans, the fate of our season is in our hands, not these voters. 7 games left, win 6 of those are we are in the playoffs. Even 5 might do it, depending on who we lose to.

I agree catbob. We're on week 5 of 12. Better to take a long term perspective on this and not battle about the poll each week. By the end of the regular season things will become much clearer.

As far as the Griz are concerned there are reasons to be concerned, but I love where we are at right now. No need to applogize for winning. Will it continue? Watch and see, just like the rest of us. But I like our chances.

That said, by all means please continue. It's very entertaining and even enlightening sometimes. xcoffeex

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM

The CAA needs a TV contract with ESPN, Versus or Fox Sports ASAP! The fact that UNH-'Nova is now being televised is unacceptable!xnonono2x

SideLine Shooter
October 5th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I really don't know why everyone is so to-up about a poll. Just go ahead and give the N/C to Elon. They've already earned it.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Tailbone
October 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM

Those who are unable to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Every year it is the same.
Some pundit looks at Montana's early season schedule, its record, its margin of victory over cream-puff opponents and suggests that Montana's ranking is undeserved and that those who vote to place Montana in the top 5 teams are somewhat deluded.

From 2008

I know its the W that counts but who really thinks Montana is #3 after barely beating a D2 school? or does the final score not tell the whole story?

montana way too high.

Not only is Montana too high, but how in the world do seven people believe that the absolute BEST that this league has to offer barely sqeakes out a win agasint a DII team at home?

Seriously? Honestly?

and these comments were made despite a season opening win at Cal-Poly.

Do I need to remind anyone where the Griz finished?

Different pollsters vote based on different criteria - some vote based on an evaluation of current resume', some vote as a prediction of season long results (where will a given team end up at years end).

Pick a season, review the polls, read the disparaging comments - then check the year-end results. Montana has ended the season as a top 2 team in 4 of the last 9 seasons (twice as the top team in FCS/I-AA).

Laugh now, but it's very likely that Griz fans will have the last (or second to last ;) laugh).

This time of year provides too small a sample to question anyone's placement of the top dozen teams.

griz8791
October 5th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I can tell you the voter voting Montana #1 is not a Montana homer, and in fact has voted them #1 in every poll this year...xthumbsupx

Sounds like D1B, doesn't it?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60472

LEHIGH61
October 5th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Delaware.??? What are you smoking? Take a look at their record when the season is over.

srgrizizen
October 5th, 2009, 07:03 PM

No quarrel here. I don't vote, but I don't think Montana is #1 at this point either. I do wonder, however, why (so far) WrenFGun isn't on record questioning the idiot who gave New Hampshire a #1 vote in the TSN poll for the same reasons he questions the AGS poll?? xsmiley_wix

CopperCat
October 5th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Exactly where I saw MSU struggle with Dixie State. xcoffeexxcoffeex

Watch them again. The biggest problem that MSU had in the Dixie game was that the opposing QB was getting enough time to throw to whomever he felt like. Our secondary was walking a thin line due to injuries, which didn't help either. Go back and watch the game @ Weber if you can. It's night and day between then and now.

Uncle Buck
October 5th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I think JMU wins that game [this season] at least 7 or 8 of 10. Remember Hofstra lost to Richmond by like 50.

JMU laid an egg. They aren't out of it, but their backs are definitely against the wall.

You really have a hair across your a$$ for Hofstra. Not so sure if JMU beats us that many times out of 10, the Dukes have some issues. And if you watched any of the Richmond game, we gave them a short field on 4 fumbles and it snowballed. You can't base a matchup on what a team did against someone else. xsmhx

gt_bison
October 5th, 2009, 09:29 PM
The fact that Weber State is ranked six spots above Montana State is really bothersome here. I had Weber State at 12 last week, but after losing to Montana State, I took them out and gave Montana State my last spot in. There's still too much D-II and FBS noise making it hard to know what's really going on overall here, but I'm in the camp that says just because a team was ranked going in doesn't mean that they should be given the benefit of the doubt and kept in. I probably don't re-evaluate my ballot like I should week-to-week, but this week I made some significant changes by trying to evaluate what we've actually seen so far.

WrenFGun
October 5th, 2009, 10:17 PM
No quarrel here. I don't vote, but I don't think Montana is #1 at this point either. I do wonder, however, why (so far) WrenFGun isn't on record questioning the idiot who gave New Hampshire a #1 vote in the TSN poll for the same reasons he questions the AGS poll?? xsmiley_wix

Didn't go into the thread, but they, too, are an idiot!

soccerguy315
October 5th, 2009, 10:25 PM
You really have a hair across your a$$ for Hofstra. Not so sure if JMU beats us that many times out of 10, the Dukes have some issues. And if you watched any of the Richmond game, we gave them a short field on 4 fumbles and it snowballed. You can't base a matchup on what a team did against someone else. xsmhx

I have nothing against Hofstra. Weren't you on here explaining how one of your biggest supporters was refusing to go to games because things are so terrible up there? Any playoff team should be able to keep any game with another playoff team at least semi-close. If JMU 09 and Hofstra 09 are evenly matched when JMU plays well, then JMU should not be in the playoff picture. If JMU didn't lay an egg at Hofstra, than they have no business being in the top 10 or top 15, and they probably shouldn't be ranked. If JMU gets crushed by Richmond this week, then I will be happy to revise my JMU/Hofstra series of 10 hypothetical prediction. But if JMU is deserving of their ranking, the game will be competitive.

The #7 team losing to an unranked team that its own fans say is not very good means one of two things:
1. The #7 team laid an egg. -or-
2. the #7 team was vastly overrated.

Walkon79
October 5th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Unbelievable! We beat Weber at home and still no love!!

4th and What?
October 5th, 2009, 10:31 PM

I think JMU wins it 0 out of 1 times myself. Give Hofstra credit for the win.

Water under the bridge though, win at home this week and the Hofstra game is just a memory.

Walkon79
October 5th, 2009, 10:41 PM
The fact that Weber State is ranked six spots above Montana State is really bothersome here. I had Weber State at 12 last week, but after losing to Montana State, I took them out and gave Montana State my last spot in. There's still too much D-II and FBS noise making it hard to know what's really going on overall here, but I'm in the camp that says just because a team was ranked going in doesn't mean that they should be given the benefit of the doubt and kept in. I probably don't re-evaluate my ballot like I should week-to-week, but this week I made some significant changes by trying to evaluate what we've actually seen so far.

Good Post. I don't vote either, but thats the way I would look at it.

R.A.
October 5th, 2009, 11:00 PM

I don't see how you vote the national runner up over the national champion...even that logic doesn't makes sense if you want to start with backwards logic in the first place.

Maybe some of the pollsters see something that we don't. I comfortable with the Griz getting a 1st place vote.

R.A.
October 5th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I think he was responding to R.A. who said "They deserve a 1st place vote or two until they get wacked.

The Griz are National runners up and have a good record this season. "

That logic doesn't make sense if the National champs don't get "whacked." Could be wrong but that is how I interpreted his comments.

Not everyone sees Richmond as the best team right now, regardless of their record.

To each his own.

R.A.
October 5th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Just because someone is not voting the same way that you do, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Some people look at sagarin ratings, some people just look at the scores, some people have mathematical formulas and some people just look at the teams each week and vote for who they think is best. xtwocentsx

Exactly.

cats2506
October 5th, 2009, 11:20 PM

So what you gonna do with Weber if/when they beat EWU this week?

soccerguy315
October 5th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I think JMU wins it 0 out of 1 times myself. Give Hofstra credit for the win.

Water under the bridge though, win at home this week and the Hofstra game is just a memory.

I'm happy to give Hofstra credit if AGS will agree that JMU had no business being ranked #7.

Agreed that a JMU win this week puts them right back in the middle of the CAA race.

JMU Newbill
October 6th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Richmond is going to wipe the floor with us on Saturday, at home.

gt_bison
October 6th, 2009, 07:50 AM
So what you gonna do with Weber if/when they beat EWU this week?

I'll cross that bridge if/when I get there. It's going to depend on what else goes on, but Weber will have to earn their way back up, even if they beat EWU. They'd probably reappear right away, but in the 20's.

(I'm a mathematician, so voting in polls like this is tough for me. I'd really like to just put teams in tiers and allow for not knowing enough about certain pairs of teams to say one should be above the other, at least for the time being.)

JMUNJ08
October 6th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Richmond is going to wipe the floor with us on Saturday, at home.

If we can't settle on a quarterback our fans will be heading home early once again...