PDA

View Full Version : Gardner-Webb at Buffalo

elcid83
October 5th, 2009, 09:14 AM
This Saturday, the Runnin' Bulldogs take to the air for their trip to Buffalo, NY to take on the 2008 Mid-American Conference Champions - the Buffalo Bulls. The Dogs [3-1, 1-0] are coming off a close win at VMI last weekend and are looking for a W over an FBS school to enhance their FCS playoff resume. Buffalo [1-4, 0-2] is apparently in the midst of a rebuilding year after their successful 2008 campaign. As GW is making its way to the frozen tundra, Buffalo is nursing a 4 game losing streak. The Bulls have scored 17 points or less in their last 3 games.

The QBs are showing similar numbers. Stan Doolittle has completed 85 of 136 [62.5%] passes for 925 yds [6.8 yd avg] and has 4 TDs vs. 2 Ints. Zach Maynard is 100 of 161 [62.1%] for 1234 yds [7.67 yd avg] and 8 TDs vs. 7 ints. Turnovers have obviously hurt the Bulls and they are ranked 115 among FBS schools in turnover margin with -1.8 per game. GW is 2nd among FCS schools in this category with +3.00 per game [14 turnovers gained vs. 2 lost]. GW's worst stats come from the special teams and I am sure they will be working on that this week. Fortunately, this also seems to be a problem for Buffalo so this should be a wash for the Runnin' Bulldogs.

Both teams do well passing and neither runs the ball very much. However, Buffalo seems to have found some running prowess in their backfield in the name of Ike Nduka who gained 174 yds in his first career start last weekend in a losing effort against C. Michigan. It will be interesting to see if GW's Big South leading rush defense will be able to contain Nduka.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

kdinva
October 5th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I think GW will be in this game going into the 4th quarter, unlike NCSU.

elcid83
October 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
If there are any Buffalo area posters on board, we are thinking about going to dinner Friday night at the Anchor Bar - the home of the original Buffalo Wing. Is this a mistake. My sense is these places are usually just tourist traps and you wait too long to eat crappy food. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

SFspidur
October 5th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Definitely stop by the Anchor Bar. It's been expanded several times since the old days in order to keep up with its fame, but still has a similar vibe, particularly if you can get seated in the original section or in the bar area.

Wings are still the same...best I've ever had, and service is fine, if basic. It's still primarily a local restaurant...no polish or glam, and any tackiness is genuine.

It's not in the best neighborhood (but not the worst either)...just keep your wits about you. There's not much else around it that would be of interest, so probably just head in and head out.

Go...gate
October 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM
September 13, 2003. Colgate 38, Buffalo 15.

You guys can definitely do it. Go kick some Buffalo butt.

danefan
October 5th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Bull Fan is a split Buffalo/Hofstra fan. I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

The Buffalo fan board is http://ubfan.com/board/index.phpif you were looking. Generally a good bunch of guys, although they can get pretty cranky. I can't blame them though, they do live in Buffalo.

EagleDawg
October 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Buffalo QB Zach Maynard played high school ball at Grimsley HS in Greensboro, NC and was a pretty good QB leading the Whirlies deep into the playoffs his last two seasons. He runs the ball well, is very elusive and a left hander to boot. He throws the short pass on the run better than the mid to long length passes.

The Runnin Bulldog front seven should be able to get pretty good pressure on him as they have already seen a superior QB with better mobility, elusiveness and a better arm in NC State's Russell Wilson. The key will be for the Defense to not get stuck on the field for long stretches and get wore down. The secondary must play well and not give up big plays and tackle well.

The Dawgs special teams, especially the kicking game, must improve dramatically over last week's effort at VMI. I see GW hanging in this game and maybe stealing one late over a Buffalo BCS squad who is coming into the game on a losing streak.

Pitt hammers the Braves, NC State handles Pitt and NC State hammers the Dawgs so this game could be alot closer than most would think.

GW 24 Buffalo 20

Bull Fan
October 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Hey guys... UB alum, but a Hofstra fan forever as well.

UB lost James Starks for the year with a shoulder injury, this kid had been a stud (all-time UB leading rusher). They're using a two-back system to make up for him. This could be viewed as a rebuilding year with his injury and the graduation of Drew Willy, a good game manager last year. Naaman Roosevelt is the headline receiver, with Brett Hamlin a reliable, poor-man's Wayne Chrebet. Haven't caught much game action since they're not televised that much and I haven't watched any webcasts.... so unlike last year when they seemed to have a bit better exposure, I'm tapped out as to this year's tendencies.

The coaching staff underwent a relatively high turnover from last year, most notably not renewing Jimmy Williams (I don't know the dynamics on that....). I know they picked up a couple guys from the I-AA ranks to fill the holes.

Quite frankly after last year, I was hoping the momentum would continue as we were looking at a new quarterback. Starks going down to injury really killed us, he was a hell of an athletic back.

Anchor Bar is fine downtown, tourist trap but of course reliable. Now if you want really great wings, you should check out Duff's on Sheridan Dr. (Right off Millersport Highway), a stone's throw from the North Campus and the Stadium. It's the local's choice. No glitz or glamor there either (hey, it's Buffalo!), but I used to bring back their wings by the 100 to Uncle Buck back when he was playing at Hofstra and I was going to school at UB. You can ask to have them packed for travel. If you're feeling lucky, try the Suicide Wings..... xrotatehx

elcid83
October 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the info Bull. I feel like I have to go to the place that started it all and it looks like we'll make a trip the Anchor Bar. What's the weather supposed to be like up there on Saturday?

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hey guys... UB alum, but a Hofstra fan forever as well.

UB lost James Starks for the year with a shoulder injury, this kid had been a stud (all-time UB leading rusher). They're using a two-back system to make up for him. This could be viewed as a rebuilding year with his injury and the graduation of Drew Willy, a good game manager last year. Naaman Roosevelt is the headline receiver, with Brett Hamlin a reliable, poor-man's Wayne Chrebet. Haven't caught much game action since they're not televised that much and I haven't watched any webcasts.... so unlike last year when they seemed to have a bit better exposure, I'm tapped out as to this year's tendencies.

The coaching staff underwent a relatively high turnover from last year, most notably not renewing Jimmy Williams (I don't know the dynamics on that....). I know they picked up a couple guys from the I-AA ranks to fill the holes.

Quite frankly after last year, I was hoping the momentum would continue as we were looking at a new quarterback. Starks going down to injury really killed us, he was a hell of an athletic back.

Anchor Bar is fine downtown, tourist trap but of course reliable. Now if you want really great wings, you should check out Duff's on Sheridan Dr. (Right off Millersport Highway), a stone's throw from the North Campus and the Stadium. It's the local's choice. No glitz or glamor there either (hey, it's Buffalo!), but I used to bring back their wings by the 100 to Uncle Buck back when he was playing at Hofstra and I was going to school at UB. You can ask to have them packed for travel. If you're feeling lucky, try the Suicide Wings..... xrotatehx

Oh snap! Were you in the UB stands when my team rolled through in 1993? I still feel bad for the beat down we handed you that year.

...BEAUTIFUL stadium however.

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 11:56 AM
stupid double post. :o

Uncle Buck
October 6th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the info Bull. I feel like I have to go to the place that started it all and it looks like we'll make a trip the Anchor Bar. What's the weather supposed to be like up there on Saturday?

I know people who currently live up there, and while they say the Anchor Bar is good for the wings and nostalgia, they go to Duff's when they want to get serious. I'm telling you, the wings are HUGE and man, the suicides burn your lips off but they are fantastic. If only for a sampling, swing in for a small plate, think of it as batting practice.

Hell, i once took a train ride up with Bull Fan just to get his car and make the 8 hour drive back the next morning. The only requirement, he treated to a hefty box of Duff's. Now i have the damn craving, GO GET DUFF'S!!!

Oh, as for the game, i expect GWebb to be in this, Buffalo is battling injuries like Bull Fan said and from the couple of times i saw them on tv, they don't seem to be overpowering on either side right now.

Uncle Buck
October 6th, 2009, 12:00 PM
stupid double post. :o

No such thing as a stupid double post, only stupid people that double post them! :p

Uncle Buck
October 6th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Oh snap! Were you in the UB stands when my team rolled through in 1993? I still feel bad for the beat down we handed you that year.

...BEAUTIFUL stadium however.

He was also in the stands for the monsoon at Hofstra in '94! Sorry Andy, the only reason i mention it, i have never seen it rain upside down like it did that night.

andy7171
October 6th, 2009, 12:08 PM
He was also in the stands for the monsoon at Hofstra in '94! Sorry Andy, the only reason i mention it, i have never seen it rain upside down like it did that night.

The hightops I wore in that game are still water logged. The game in the rain was the same year '93.

Although I'm sure you fondly remember the '94 game. xwhistlex

Uncle Buck
October 6th, 2009, 12:20 PM
The hightops I wore in that game are still water logged. The game in the rain was the same year '93.

Although I'm sure you fondly remember the '94 game. xwhistlex

Ugh, that's right! How the hell could i get that wrong. Holy cow, never eat lunch and post at the same time. xnonox

Bull Fan
October 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Andy, I was not in the stands for the '93 game, I transferred up there in Jan '94. But I still witnessed some miserable games there. And yes, I'm also still drip-drying my clothes from the '93 game. Not noticeable from the stands or field that night was an Ark floating down Hempstead Turnpike. No one could see it through the wall of water as it sailed on through the night....

Speaking of the '94 game, coincidentally, I had in my possession that night a fresh package of 100 wings, direct from Duff's that day. I'll never forget the smell on the plane as I stashed the package in the overhead compartments. I came home for the weekend in time to catch that debacle. Uncle Buck drowned his sorrows that night with some wing sauce that would eat a hole through an iron door. A couple weeks later, I made the trip down to Newark in what turned out to be the finest athletic contest I'd ever witnessed live or on a broadcast; "41-41". I understand from someone in Hollywood that the movie being made about that game is in pre-production. That was also the day I met Dallas Green in the parking lot of a breakfast eatery. As fate would have it, it turned out to be Uncle Buck's football finale... since Alcorn and Steve McNair stole one of the at-large playoff births that year.

Bittersweet couple of weeks....

Dude, trust us.... hit Duff's. Now you could follow the rest of the sheep, and you could buy your t-shirt that says, "I've been to the Anchor Bar", but you wouldn't hit Paris without trying to make your way to the Louvre, would you?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Lehigh also took out Buffalo 37-26 in 2002. Lehigh made it to #2 in the TSN and USA/Today polls the next week. Ohh how long ago......

More recently my Owls spanked the Bulls 37-13 in game that was never close. I do believe we're a solid team capable of reaching a bowl which only shows how good 'Nova is.

Buffalo is 1-4 with a decent win over UTEP in the opener. Buffalo might not have regressed back to their early days as their games have been competitive for the most part but they're obviously not very good. I don't know if Gardner-Webb is one of the better FCS bets to take out the Bulls but i'll give them a punchers chance.

Bull Fan
October 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Everyone gets a puncher's chance. UB isn't back in the toilet, they're just not a program that's to the point where they can "reload" so much as "rebuild". Unfortunately, after one decent year it's back a step or two....

KAUMASS
October 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM
How can you not go to Duff's? A place that shares the name of Homer Simpson and Barney's favorite and only beer? Dude, get a Dell and go to Duff's.

elcid83
October 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM
How can you not go to Duff's? A place that shares the name of Homer Simpson and Barney's favorite and only beer? Dude, get a Dell and go to Duff's.

Why does someone need a Dell to go to Duff's? xcoolx

On another note, it is interesting to note that in reading UB's game notes for this week's game that UB has not beaten an FCS school since they made the step up to the FBS in 1999. Here's hoping that GW won't be their first.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

SuperJon
October 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Buffalo will definitely know how to handle Gardner-Webb's offense. Buffalo's linebackers coach was the linebackers coach at Liberty up until this year.

Bull Fan
October 6th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Up to 2007 and the 'breakout' season of last year, UB has been horrendous in I-A and mediocre to bad when we were I-AA. It's been embarrassing but not surprising to know that G-W is the best shot in awhile of beating a I-AA opponent.

bulldogdad
October 6th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Elcid are you flying up with the Bulldog Club charter Friday morning?

KAUMASS
October 6th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Why does someone need a Dell to go to Duff's? xcoolx

On another note, it is interesting to note that in reading UB's game notes for this week's game that UB has not beaten an FCS school since they made the step up to the FBS in 1999. Here's hoping that GW won't be their first.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

That stupid commercial is stuck in my brain from years ago..anytime I hear Dude, get a Dell chimes in...I thought it fit in nicely with Duff's as well.

Good luck against UB.

Sagarin has UB plus 13. I think it's closer than that and it will be very close into the 4 quarter.

ASU_Fanatic
October 6th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I think GW really has a shot.

EagleDawg
October 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
There's an awful lot of trash talk and just plain over confidence in my opinion over on the Buffalo Bulls forum, especially for a 1-4 team. I just hope that attitude infects the Bulls football team. GW has a legitimate shot in this game if they play a sound game. Both teams O-lines are quite a bit larger than the opposing teams D-line. You have to like the Runnin Dawgs ability to hold in check the last two BCS Teams rush game (Ga. Tech 08 and NC State 09). The Bulls QB can be awfully good as evidenced by his 4 TD passes against Pittsburgh in a 52-27 loss but he can be awfully bad too as evidenced by his 4 int's against Temple. Should GW continue to win the takeaway stat, protect Doolittle, hold down the opposition's rush game, then it simply boils down to GW getting some big plays and showing substantial progress on special teams.

Come on Dawgs, go take a big bite out of the bulls, chomp, chomp!!xnodxxnodxxnodx

wilddog96
October 7th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Ok elcid 83 and EagleDawg we will see you in Buffalo Friday morning. We are leaving tonight for Buffalo. GO DOGS!!!!!!!

EagleDawg
October 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Boy, there sure are some sensitive folks over on the Buffalo Bulls forum. Some obviously feel that the Bulls are the Rodney Dangerfield's of BCS football. You try to counter their posts that BCS schools are bigger, stronger, faster and better coached by comparing rosters position by position which illustrates on those metrics that GW is not overmatched against Buffalo and they call it smack. The kind of smack I want to see is GW's Mario Brown, Jeffrey Williams, Marty Patterson and Matt Goodes lay the wood to the Bulls rail thin QB Maynard over and over again. Knock him down enough and he'll crack. I saw a bit of it from him in high school ball and any BCS starter who throws 4 picks in a single game (Temple 09) can be flustered.

The Dawgs need to contain the Bulls WR Roosevelt and keep defending the run and I believe we'll have a shot at a W. If not, as fans, we can hope to enjoy some Wings and Niagara Falls and get back to Big South Conference Play. Prefer the former but can live with the latter.

See you Friday in Buffalo Bulldogdad, safe travels my friend.

Go Runnin Bulldogs!xnodxxnodxxnodx

elcid83
October 7th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Elcid are you flying up with the Bulldog Club charter Friday morning?
Yes. We will see you there. Tell Roger that I have found him a spot for wings for Friday night dinner!

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

EagleDawg
October 7th, 2009, 05:10 PM
ElCid83 - You talking Anchor Bar or Duff's or something else?

ASU_Fanatic
October 7th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I would love to see the Dogs pull the upset.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!!!!

elcid83
October 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM
ElCid83 - You talking Anchor Bar or Duff's or something else?

Apparently Anchor Bar has the history of creating the Buffalo wing, but Duff's makes them better than anyone else. I assume we will have time to talk about on Friday.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

g-webb1994
October 7th, 2009, 08:00 PM
We have a legit shot, but do the giveaway game again on special teams this week and the NC State result will look better......it is too darned early up there for lake effect snow, correct?

EagleDawg
October 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
G-Webb1994 - What's changed your opinion since I thought I saw over on the Liberty Flames Forum where you picked the Dawgs to lose by more than 21?

I believe our Dawgs can do it and it's not just hopeful thinking. Doolittle is playing well and protecting the ball pretty well. He showed true senior leadership last week at VMI when Special Teams caused the Dawgs to fall behind by 10 heading into the last qtr. He led two TD scoring drives to put the Dawgs back ahead. The Defense is still solid as a rock up front and the secondary while still not perfect is showing weekly progress.

The Special Teams play does concern me as I'm sure it does the coaching staff so hopefully they cleaned that up this week.

We'll be in Buffalo so we certainly hope to be smiling on the trip home!

Go Runnin Bulldogs!!

g-webb1994
October 7th, 2009, 08:52 PM
My thinking is we keep the game close, then UB gets a couple of late scores to pump the margin up over 21. Maybe like a 38-17 score or so.

I'll look for ya, the game is on ESPN360 if anyone else is interested.

Bull Fan
October 8th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Guys, enjoy the trip up. Don't know your itinerary, but if you can, spare some time for a trip up to the Falls. Used to love to go up there every once in awhile and just clear the head watching that sight.

The school isn't really near the downtown area so if you're looking for the bar scene back in the day Chippewa Street (off Main St) is (well, at least was ;) ) the place to be.

elcid83
October 8th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Guys, enjoy the trip up. Don't know your itinerary, but if you can, spare some time for a trip up to the Falls. Used to love to go up there every once in awhile and just clear the head watching that sight.

The school isn't really near the downtown area so if you're looking for the bar scene back in the day Chippewa Street (off Main St) is (well, at least was ;) ) the place to be.

Thanks Bull. Our charter has us going by the Falls Friday when we get there. Then it's off for some wings. Really looking forward to seeing the Bulls stadium and seeing your guys in action.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Bull Fan
October 8th, 2009, 08:31 AM
The stadium's alright. Only gripe is that it has a track around it. I've seen the weather forecast, but trust me the wind could whip through that field... I'd pack your winter threads. I've sat through games in early October where it snowed ;)

I don't know what to expect out of this game from the UB perspective with injuries mounting this year but I still expect a win.

elcid, I'm not talking smack. The guys over on UBfan are alright, they're mostly college kids who get a little aggressive and defensive at times. To discuss this without sounding like a dick I just think that our coaching and quality of players, while not at the BCS level is still relatively decent enough to not have to compare to the teams from earlier in the decade. Gill has done a great job of using his name in bringing some decent kids to the program. We're still good enough to beat UConn in a bowl game, but watching the team for all these years it's night and day.

Hope you all have a great time up there, where are you staying? I remember a couple of hotels right off Millersport near the main entrance to the north campus, as well as some other newer hotel(s) just north in back of the campus... I was up there a couple years back and was astonished at the expansion of the campus and the building up around it; graduate housing, other off-campus housing, etc. Good times up there....

OLDLCOACH111
October 8th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Buffalo will definitely know how to handle Gardner-Webb's offense. Buffalo's linebackers coach was the linebackers coach at Liberty up until this year.

I'm sure Buffalo's running back coach knows a thing or two about GW offense... Lee Chambers was a former All Big South offensive lineman for Gardner-Webb, and former O line assistant coach before leaving for buffalo in 2006....

ASU_Fanatic
October 8th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Hope you guys have a great trip!

Go Dogs!

g-webb1994
October 10th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Apparently our QB cannot throw more than 10 yards down the field. We've had a couple of injuries in the first half too. We need to get home healthy at this point. 33-3 UB at half.:(

Bull_In_Exile
October 10th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Apparently our QB cannot throw more than 10 yards down the field. We've had a couple of injuries in the first half too. We need to get home healthy at this point. 33-3 UB at half.:(

Phelps is down, leaving in an ambulance with what appears to be a severe concussion..

update
He was conscious, smiling, and ave a thumbs up when being loaded into the ambulance

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Gardner-Webb must not be as good as their 3-1 record shows. Buffalo is no where near as good as they were last year yet they're winning big.

Bull_In_Exile
October 10th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Gardner-Webb must not be as good as their 3-1 record shows. Buffalo is no where near as good as they were last year yet they're winning big.

Buffalo is getting over losing their star QB and star running back.. The only truely bad game we played was against Temple..

Go...gate
October 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Buffalo is getting over losing their star QB and star running back.. The only truely bad game we played was against Temple..

You guys need to play Colgate again.

ASU_Fanatic
October 10th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Dang, I thought the Dogs may put up a good fight.....

Bull_In_Exile
October 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM
You guys need to play Colgate again.

So we could throttle them as well? Look I have nothing against the FCS but holding onto a win from 2002(?) when we had a different coach, AD, and were only two years into FBS is kind of sad.... naa its very sad...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM
So we could throttle them as well? Look I have nothing against the FCS but holding onto a win from 2002(?) when we had a different coach, AD, and were only two years into FBS is kind of sad.... naa its very sad...

Buffalo would struggle to beat any of the top 15 or so teams in FCS this year. I'm not sure Colgate is a top 25 team but i think they could give a better showing than GW did today.

Bull_In_Exile
October 10th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Buffalo would struggle to beat any of the top 15 or so teams in FCS this year. I'm not sure Colgate is a top 25 team but i think they could give a better showing than GW did today.

As would Temple it depends on which Bulls team shows up... If the Temple team that played Buffalo was the same team tht Played Nova then they dont lose... If the same Buffalo team that showed up against Temple came today the Bull Dogs would have given us a run..

As to how Colgate would do if they have the same 'punchers chance' you thought that GW would have I guess you mean any team can beat anyother...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM
As would Temple it depends on which Bulls team shows up... If the Temple team that played Buffalo was the same team tht Played Nova then they dont lose... If the same Buffalo team that showed up against Temple came today the Bull Dogs would have given us a run..

As to how Colgate would do if they have the same 'punchers chance' you thought that GW would have I guess you mean any team can beat anyother...

Temple actually played well against 'Nova, 'Nova just made the plays at the end of the game to win. The top 4 or 5 teams in CAA are probably better than the top 4 or 5 teams in the MAC. As much as you might not want to believe it, it's true. The MAC is about as bad as i can ever remember it.

My punchers chance comment was based on GW being 3-1 and thinking they were a pretty good FCS team.

GridFan
October 10th, 2009, 11:25 PM
The top 10-15 teams in FCS would not give Buffalo a run for their money. The top 2 or 3 would. I watched the game on espn game plan and had heard that UB was better than their record coming in.

Buffalo should easily have been 3-2 heading into today's game, with losses to Pitt and Temple, which they played poorly in both. Very poorly. 85 scholarships well spent are 85 scholarships well spent. They should have beaten Central Michigan (who beat Mich. State) and UCF.

Gardner-Webb couldn't have played any worse today and I would expect the Runnin' Bulldogs might have been looking ahead to a very big conference game next week. I will be interested to see just how banged up the 'Dogs are after today. I know the Williams kid at linebacker only played a quarter and most of the d-line appeared shelved today. Not sure why.

Bull Fan
October 10th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Enough of the sour grapes. UB won, GW lost. UB doesn't play Colgate this year, and doesn't face a top 15 I-AA school this year either. I know a Big South team was really looking to make a mark, but it didn't happen.

The Colgate fan.... dude, you've really got to let go of the '02 game. It's seven years old.... completely different type of athlete at UB today. We're not great this year, but for the love of God you cannot compare Colgate to UB at this point in time.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Enough of the sour grapes. UB won, GW lost. UB doesn't play Colgate this year, and doesn't face a top 15 I-AA school this year either. I know a Big South team was really looking to make a mark, but it didn't happen.

The Colgate fan.... dude, you've really got to let go of the '02 game. It's seven years old.... completely different type of athlete at UB today. We're not great this year, but for the love of God you cannot compare Colgate to UB at this point in time.

Actually it was 2003 and they finished ranked #2 in the country. Lehigh beat the Bulls in 2002.

Bull Fan
October 10th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Actually it was 2003 and they finished ranked #2 in the country. Lehigh beat the Bulls in 2002.

OK, so it was 6 years ago... my bad xeekx

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2009, 11:34 PM
The top 10-15 teams in FCS would not give Buffalo a run for their money. The top 2 or 3 would. I watched the game on espn game plan and had heard that UB was better than their record coming in.

Buffalo should easily have been 3-2 heading into today's game, with losses to Pitt and Temple, which they played poorly in both. Very poorly. 85 scholarships well spent are 85 scholarships well spent. They should have beaten Central Michigan (who beat Mich. State) and UCF.

Gardner-Webb couldn't have played any worse today and I would expect the Runnin' Bulldogs might have been looking ahead to a very big conference game next week. I will be interested to see just how banged up the 'Dogs are after today. I know the Williams kid at linebacker only played a quarter and most of the d-line appeared shelved today. Not sure why.

You're crazy. I'm a Temple alum and even i realize we're not that good of a team even if we win the MAC or receive a bowl invite this year. We're just less terrible than the past playing against horrible competition. The CAA would be a better test imo.

The top 10-15 teams would give any of the MAC teams a run for their money.

Bull Fan
October 10th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Well I guess I'm real glad that we don't have to face the CAA or the top 15 I-AA this year.

As for Temple, that **** program is benefiting from another cyclical down year in the MAC. It's not ever going to be a conference that challenges to be a BCS buster, we get that. No one disputes it's definitively below the WAC or MWC but probably above the Sun Belt. And I will prognosticate that no, you will NOT get a bowl invite of any sort.

It will have as much to do with a collapse as it does the lack of fan interest at Temple and hence the fear of some bowl committee of only 500 fans buying tickets to a low level bowl game.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Well I guess I'm real glad that we don't have to face the CAA or the top 15 I-AA this year.

As for Temple, that **** program is benefiting from another cyclical down year in the MAC. It's not ever going to be a conference that challenges to be a BCS buster, we get that. No one disputes it's definitively below the WAC or MWC but probably above the Sun Belt. And I will prognosticate that no, you will NOT get a bowl invite of any sort.

It will have as much to do with a collapse as it does the lack of fan interest at Temple and hence the fear of some bowl committee of only 500 fans buying tickets to a low level bowl game.....

Buffalo has a worse football history than Temple so easy on the smack there. We're both the bottom of the barrell when it comes to FBS. Plus Buffalo took advantage of a down year last year to win the MAC so easy. The MAC went 0-4 last year in bowls.

Bull Fan
October 10th, 2009, 11:53 PM
You're kidding, right? Buffalo certainly has no pedigree to speak of, but at least we didn't get kicked out of a conference yet. We also have at least one conference championship. One is better than none, so I think just a smidge of that is in order ;)

Look, we're MAC relatives here.... let's stick together. I really do apologize for lobbing the grenade at Temple. I think it's in our best interest to give props wherever we can.

Honestly, I'm just a wee bit pissed that Hofstra took another one on the chin today, and unfortunately took it out on you.... the Dutchmen are being grossly outcoached and the players are suffering for it.

clinchBoy
October 11th, 2009, 12:58 AM
[QUOTE=EagleDawg;1427820]There's an awful lot of trash talk and just plain over confidence in my opinion over on the Buffalo Bulls forum, especially for a 1-4 team. I just hope that attitude infects the Bulls football team. GW has a legitimate shot in this game if they play a sound game. Both teams O-lines are quite a bit larger than the opposing teams D-line. You have to like the Runnin Dawgs ability to hold in check the last two BCS Teams rush game (Ga. Tech 08 and NC State 09).

The dawgs had to have a two td rally to beat lowly VMI in the the 4th qtr.. The over confidence was justified. These are the same old dawgs.

EagleDawg
October 11th, 2009, 08:58 AM
BullInExile - True to my word, I want to congratulate the Bulls for a dominant win. Everything that had to happen for GW to be in the game with a shot in the 4th qtr. didn't materialize due to the Bulls solid play. On the positive side, Keron Phelps we learned before the GW plane departed Buffalo will be okay and will come home today. He was kept overnight for observation at the local hospital so all football fans should be thankful. No one wants to see a kid taken off the field on a stretcher and hauled away in an ambulance, not good.

On the fan side, once you get by the disappointing football result, the trip to Buffalo was fun. Spent some time at the Falls on Friday, did Maid of the Mist, Caves of the Wind, toured the park, had a bunch of wings and beverage at Duff's, spent some time at the hotel with some other Bulldog fans, struck up a nice conversation with some WV fans at Louie's Bar and Tavern and although the weather was a bit cold for a southerner, it was probably pretty mild by Buffalo standards for mid-Oct. The Bull mascot was a hoot during the game, nice stadium, decent crowd, hospitable folks and a safe journey home.

Good luck to the Bulls the rest of the season.

As for the Bulldogs, they have now faced their two toughest teams of the season in NC State and Buffalo and have come out of those games with no season ending injuries to any starter. It's now time to face the meat of the conference schedule and go for a Big South Championship. Taking that next step to learn how to become a champion will be a challenge but one that must be learned to improve as a football program. Hopefully those players who were dinged up in Buffalo will heal up quickly this week and the Dawgs can come back with a home win against Charleston Southern.

As for Clinchboy, hey I missed the mark and missed it badly on my call on the GW vs Buffalo game but am man enough to come on here and admit it so I'll eat a bit of crow here. However, I've not ever observed you do the same, case in point GW beating Western when you picked GW to lose by a bunch. But that the difference between a man and something called Clinchboy.

Bull Fan
October 11th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Good to hear you enjoyed the trip, outside of the results for G-W. And no, you never want to see a kid get hurt despite the violent sport that it is. It affects a kid at a relatively early stage of his life, and you hate to see anything bad happen especially when he's playing a game he loves.

elcid83
October 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM
We have a legit shot, but do the giveaway game again on special teams this week and the NC State result will look better......it is too darned early up there for lake effect snow, correct?

I agree with Eagle's assessment of the overall trip to Buffalo. Thanks to the locals who suggested Duffs for our Buffalo wing treat. I knew it was going to be a fun night when I said "Hello" to our waitress and she said "Where the Hell are you from?" I didn't realize my accent was so southern. She did a great job taking care of us and the wings were the best ever.

Well 94, you must have a really good crystal ball, or is it the Magic 8-Ball? UB started the game on O and got a 3rd down conversion before they got tagged with unsportsmanlike conduct and ended up having to punt when they failed to re-convert. Unfortunately, GW muffs the punt, UB recovers, takes advantage of the short field and proceeds to score their first TD of the windy and chilly afternoon. PAT blocked by freshman sensation Matt Goods and the Bulls go ahead 6-0. Stan Doolittle leads us down the field for a nice series and appears to be getting in rhythm before the Dogs have to settle for a Ryan Gates 27 yd field goal. After that, it was off to the races as Buffalo scored 4 unanswered TDs to go to half-time with a 33-3 lead. During this scoring frenzy, our O could not really give our defense much of a rest as we went 3 and out every remaining series in the first half except 1 following our FG.

GW received the kickoff to start the 2nd half and looked a little better but their drive stalled at the UB 49 and we punted. At this point, with a 30 pt deficit staring us in the face I would have liked to see the offense open up a little. UB capitalized on their correct assumption that we would not throw the ball downfield and they were able to keep us contained. Our defense was not able to put any pressure on UB's QB and UB took advantage. Our D line clearly missed Jordan Woods' talent at the Bandit DE spot as he is nursing an injury from the VMI game. Hopefully, he will be back in time for the Charleston Southern game.

Good to hear that Keron Phelps will be ok and hope to see him on the field soon. Now the Bulldogs are looking forward to our first home game since September 5. It will be good to get back to Boiling Springs and Spangler Stadium. Look forward to seeing everyone there.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

g-webb1994
October 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM
or is it the Magic 8-Ball?

Damn you, letting out my secret method!xnonox

Good to hear y'all had a good trip. The broadcast on ESPN360 was from a local Time-Warner outfit up there, and they were pretty complimentary of G-W for the most part.

Good to see us come out healthy like I harped on, VERY GOOD to hear about Phelps being alright.

That odd 11:30 kickoff next Saturday makes me wonder if both teams will be ready to play. I'd lean GW by 14 right about now, but I won't dust off the magic 8-ball until later in the week.xpeacex