PDA

View Full Version : Let's hear about MSU-Weber State

GrizzlyBill
October 4th, 2009, 03:56 PM
A fairly important game result (for the BSC and the FCS top 25) occurred yesterday in Ogden. I would love to hear comment from someone who saw the game. While it was a sweet win for the Kitties, how did Weber allow it to happen? Did the Wildcats just have a serious letdown, some bad breaks, or are the Bobcats really progressing that fast?

Mason and Iddens both seem to have had stellar performances in a pressure game (from reading the box score in the Missoulian). Also, apparently MSU has found themselves a good punter (averaged over 48 yds on 4 kicks!). Was that because one rolled 80 yards?

btw, Where are Native and I Bleed Purple? Suppose they are nursing sore heads today?

cats2506
October 4th, 2009, 04:33 PM
In my opinion both teams made mistakes, the Bobcat D really held the day though allowing only 2 scores in 7 redzone trips and holding WSU to 2 TDS. The Bobcats held WSU to fewer points that any team this year including 2 FBS opponents. A bend but dont break D bent but didnt break. On the offensive side the Bobcats have a ways to go yet but they did enough to get the W.

WSU could not move the ball on the ground in the redzone and the MSU D kept the recievers in front of them the rest of the game except for one play.

Another interesting note is the the Bobcats are the only team to hold WSU scorless in the 4th quarter, including the afore mentioned FBS teams.

Weber can call mistakes and playcalling but in reality the Bobcat D forced interceptions and fumbles with pressure and WSU has 4 tries from inside the 6 to get the final drive in and still couldnt do it.

GOKATS
October 4th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Make no mistake, Weber is a damn good team and it turned out to be a great win for the Bobcats on the road. To me the deciding factor was the Bobcat 'D', arguably the best in the Big Sky. Add the fact that the Bobcat 'O' is coming together and getting better every week and you have a winning combination. Several players after the game yesterday said the Bobcats are getting better, but they haven't hit their stride yet. It's early in the season and a lot can happen, but the Bobcats definitely have a winning attitude as a team right now. Had the holder not gone out with a shoulder injury early in the game (the back up holder didn't make the raod trip) the Bobcats would easily have tacked on another 6-8 points by the kicker. If Desin isn't back by this weekend I'm sure they will have a holder ready to go.

Silenoz
October 4th, 2009, 06:02 PM
In my opinion both teams made mistakes, the Bobcat D really held the day though allowing only 2 scores in 7 redzone trips and holding WSU to 2 TDS. The Bobcats held WSU to fewer points that any team this year including 2 FBS opponents. A bend but dont break D bent but didnt break. On the offensive side the Bobcats have a ways to go yet but they did enough to get the W.

WSU could not move the ball on the ground in the redzone and the MSU D kept the recievers in front of them the rest of the game except for one play.

Another interesting note is the the Bobcats are the only team to hold WSU scorless in the 4th quarter, including the afore mentioned FBS teams.

Weber can call mistakes and playcalling but in reality the Bobcat D forced interceptions and fumbles with pressure and WSU has 4 tries from inside the 6 to get the final drive in and still couldnt do it.

^

GrizzlyBill
October 4th, 2009, 06:29 PM

Well, the Bobcats may be improving and finding their stride, but I think that Weber State is, in the long run, still the better team--just not yesterday. Perhaps it is analogous to the Griz loss last year in Ogden to them, which served to "wake us up."

However, the Big Sky this year is more fun to watch than is several years. There are several very good teams that haven't been fully tested yet--like Eastern Washington, like the Griz. The Brawl could turn out to be for the championship.

GrizzlyBill
October 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Make no mistake, Weber is a damn good team and it turned out to be a great win for the Bobcats on the road. To me the deciding factor was the Bobcat 'D', arguably the best in the Big Sky. Add the fact that the Bobcat 'O' is coming together and getting better every week and you have a winning combination. Several players after the game yesterday said the Bobcats are getting better, but they haven't hit their stride yet. It's early in the season and a lot can happen, but the Bobcats definitely have a winning attitude as a team right now. Had the holder not gone out with a shoulder injury early in the game (the back up holder didn't make the raod trip) the Bobcats would easily have tacked on another 6-8 points by the kicker. If Desin isn't back by this weekend I'm sure they will have a holder ready to go.

This is good news. About time. I thought Ash would bring the team around sooner or later.

gbhmt
October 4th, 2009, 06:44 PM

It's definitely solid but I don't think you can really argue past Montana on that one. Conference leader in pass efficiency defense, rushing defense, scoring defense, and total defense.

CopperCat
October 4th, 2009, 06:48 PM
There are some out there (cough Mr C. cough) that will attribute Weber's loss to their own mistakes, especially late in the fourth quarter. I call b.s. That MSU defense was tenacious yesterday. Weber pulled two consecutive fakes down in the red zone and stuffed them both. MSU came up with at least two INTs (didn't watch/hear the whole game, I only know of the two) because the secondary has really got its game together. Then of course the goal line stand at the end of the game, which was probably one of the more exciting things I have seen happen to this team in recent memory. That stuff didn't happen because of mistakes. It happened because the MSU defense came ready to play, and they made plays that many thought they were not capable of. Hats off to the Cats, lots of guts were spilled on that field yesterday. Give some credit where credit is due.

I'll go ahead and put Aaron Mason in for national POW. Probably won't win it, but he deserves to be recognized. 138 yards against a stout Weber D is a stellar total.

grizzpaw
October 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM
That MSU defense was tenacious yesterday. Give some credit where credit is due.

put the defense in for "POW", they won that gamexthumbsupx! they would have stopped weber no matter what play was run!xnodx nice defense and a good win msu!xpeacex

Native
October 4th, 2009, 07:22 PM
There are some out there (cough Mr C. cough) that will attribute Weber's loss to their own mistakes, especially late in the fourth quarter. I call b.s. That MSU defense was tenacious yesterday. Weber pulled two consecutive fakes down in the red zone and stuffed them both. MSU came up with at least two INTs (didn't watch/hear the whole game, I only know of the two) because the secondary has really got its game together. Then of course the goal line stand at the end of the game, which was probably one of the more exciting things I have seen happen to this team in recent memory. That stuff didn't happen because of mistakes. It happened because the MSU defense came ready to play, and they made plays that many thought they were not capable of. Hats off to the Cats, lots of guts were spilled on that field yesterday. Give some credit where credit is due.

I'll go ahead and put Aaron Mason in for national POW. Probably won't win it, but he deserves to be recognized. 138 yards against a stout Weber D is a stellar total.

No lo contendere! All hail the Montana State defense, but it is also also true that Weber made mistakes. Higgins had similar pressue last year and did not make the same mistakes.

GOKATS
October 4th, 2009, 07:28 PM
This is good news. About time. I thought Ash would bring the team around sooner or later.

Realistically this is only his 2nd season and he's only had two recruiting classes, if anything I'd say he's a year ahead of schedule.

GOKATS
October 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM
It's definitely solid but I don't think you can really argue past Montana on that one. Conference leader in pass efficiency defense, rushing defense, scoring defense, and total defense.

I'd say the Cats trip to Mich. St. had more to do with those stats than the griz trip to UCD.

cats2506
October 4th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I'd say the Cats trip to Mich. St. had more to do with those stats than the griz trip to UCD.

Comparing UM's common opponent(NAU), I would say that the griz D did about the same as UNC xnodx

cats2506
October 4th, 2009, 08:00 PM
^

I guess I did a typo there, 3 scores in 7 redzone trips, 1 TD and 2 FG's

The other TD was a 68 yarder off a blown coverage

and of course the saftey which was the MSU version of bad playcalling to complete their scoring

Go Cats
October 4th, 2009, 10:06 PM
After watching the game I think the offense won the game this time. The defense usually plays outstanding, but the offense usually doesn't put the points on the board in crunch time. This game they did. So as usual great job too the defense, but for a change excellent job to the offense!! Great team win!

putter
October 4th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I just found it hard to believe that Desin was that important to the kicking game. He gets hurt and MSU can 't even find the uprights on extra points and FG's.....

GOKATS
October 4th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I just found it hard to believe that Desin was that important to the kicking game. He gets hurt and MSU can 't even find the uprights on extra points and FG's.....

The back up holder didn't make the trip, not sure why (flu?). Obviously neither of the other two they tried, including the punter/kicker, had spent much time there. I'd guess most teams don't practice a lot with more than a couple holders. As of now Desin sounds doubtful for this week, but I'm sure they'll have somebody ready to go by Sat.

Native
October 4th, 2009, 11:00 PM
The back up holder didn't make the trip, not sure why (flu?). Obviously neither of the other two they tried, including the punter/kicker, had spent much time there. I'd guess most teams don't practice a lot with more than a couple holders. As of now Desin sounds doubtful for this week, but I'm sure they'll have somebody ready to go by Sat.

Even a half inch error in the hold makes a huge difference to the kicker, not to mention differences in timing. Still, I was surprised by Cunningham's poor showing, compared to what I expected. I was also surprised to see the extremely flat trajectory of his kickoff.

GrizzlyBill
October 4th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Realistically this is only his 2nd season and he's only had two recruiting classes, if anything I'd say he's a year ahead of schedule.

Well, it's good to see. It's time for the Cats to start pulling their share of the load in the playoffs. We have had to do almost all the heavy lifting for the West latelyhttp://anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif.

Who I'm liking these days is Southern Utah. They have been building up for several years now. Playing tough schedules. Getting their butts handed to them sometimes. Now they are coming on.

Native
October 4th, 2009, 11:02 PM

Agreed. I prefer to use the the conference-only stats when discussing Big Sky matchups.