PDA

View Full Version : the SoCon and TV

whoanellie
October 4th, 2009, 01:37 PM
what can We do to lobby the SoCon and the rest of FCS to get a better TV package for the Conferences? xoopsx
comments? suggestions?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 4th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Kidnap all of the SEC and ACC players on Saturday mornings and release them in the evenings.

Gringer1
October 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM
We have a decent contract with the "SoCon Saturday" arrangement, but it would be nice to see more games covered. This is probably wishful thinking, but I think mid level channels like Versus and TBS could become FCS stations on Saturday.

Phoenix87
October 4th, 2009, 04:11 PM
We have a decent contract with the "SoCon Saturday" arrangement, but it would be nice to see more games covered. This is probably wishful thinking, but I think mid level channels like Versus and TBS could become FCS stations on Saturday.

Villanova vs William & Mary was on Versus this past Saturday

appstate38
October 4th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah I hear you.... Even more wishful thinking would be to get a college gameday at a FCS Campus for the playoffs. That would be nice.

PhoenixMan
October 4th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I'm wondering why I can always seem to find D II or even D III games on Saturday evenings, but no SoCon.

Gringer1
October 4th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Villanova vs William & Mary was on Versus this past Saturday

That's what I'm saying. Versus has been showing a few FCS games and with a little encouragement, they might make it their staple to show FCS action all day on Saturday. I also think other middle level networks like them might be willing to show a couple FCS games. Just some wishful thoughts.

Touchdown Yosef
October 4th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah I hear you.... Even more wishful thinking would be to get a college gameday at a FCS Campus for the playoffs. That would be nice.

I have often thought that ESPN U could run a second gameday that focuses on FCS and would be a lot of fun.

I also would love to see the actual Gameday come to an FCS campus during the playoffs when all the FBS schools are no longer playing. Appalachian or Montana would make great first stops. It would be pretty cool if they came to a campus once a year and for the NC game if it continued on an independant date. If the games were broadcast on ESPN as many of the playoff games are it would probably do wonders for the ratings of those games.

Feature 3 FCS playoff games on the ESPN family (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or even ESPN Classic instead of ESPN or in addition to) Bring gameday to one college campus and hype the FCS games that they are broadcasting and host some past FCS greats as guest hosts for the game pics. It would work and be great to watch, great for ratings, and great for FCS.

ChiefGSU275
October 5th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I appreciate the SoCon Saturday package, but to be honest, the quality of the production is very low. It seems like the stadiums, even during the day, are not as bright as the other games. Also, the audio is much quieter. Flipping between UGA-LSU, FSU-BC, and Furman-Elon, the difference is much more noticeable. I am glad for the coverage, though.

whoanellie
October 5th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I appreciate the SoCon Saturday package, but to be honest, the quality of the production is very low. It seems like the stadiums, even during the day, are not as bright as the other games. Also, the audio is much quieter. Flipping between UGA-LSU, FSU-BC, and Furman-Elon, the difference is much more noticeable. I am glad for the coverage, though.

I think you hit it here it's just not produced well. Sound and additional cameras would have to help. It's not ESPN but announcers just go over the same lines and don't know the rules updates. I guess We should be happy for what We have but it needs to better. xcoffeex

ElonPride
October 5th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I think you hit it here it's just not produced well. Sound and additional cameras would have to help. It's not ESPN but announcers just go over the same lines and don't know the rules updates. I guess We should be happy for what We have but it needs to better. xcoffeex

It all comes down to cost. There are generally 20-25 cameras, grips, miles of cable, production trucks, producers, TDs etc for big conference games int he SEC. Not to mention the cost of bringing in lights to these stadiums to light night games. MOST FCS facilites do not have adequate lighting for night broadcast. That is a very expensive propostion. Bottom line, ESPN, Sportsouth, Versus etc just would not simply get the ROI to "up" the production value for FCS games. I work in TV and have run camera and gripped for ACC football, golf tournaments, concerts etc. For SoCon TV, there is just no cost effective way without passing the expense on to you.