PDA

View Full Version : JSU wins 52-7

Cocky
October 3rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
UTM scored once in the 3rd.
This JSU team is very good. It is a shame they won't be in the playoffs this year as they could compete.

Tod
October 3rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
This JSU team is very good. It is a shame they won't be in the playoffs this year as they could compete.

Why won't they be in the playoffs? What did I miss/forget?

Shellin
October 3rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Why won't they be in the playoffs? What did I miss/forget?

APR issues I believe.

ASU_Fanatic
October 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
grats

Cocky
October 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
APR issues I believe.

correct

Redbirdz
October 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
Jacksonville State 52
UT Martin 7

JSU is capable of beating any team in the FCS.

Bigmoneymike
October 3rd, 2009, 06:40 PM
They are putting the wood to ppl!!

ekufbfan
October 3rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Jacksonville State 52
UT Martin 7

1. I would guess there a number of teams that could make that statement

2. Easy to say when you won't have to put your $$$ where yourxwhistlex is...and indeed JSU may be capable of just that, but it's easy to make that statement when you don't have to back it up...just my opinion

3. Before you say it yes, there is a chance you may whip us, I am aware of that, and that JSU is looking awesome right now, but we aren 't throwing in the towel.....

GO EKU!!!!

hawkeye
October 3rd, 2009, 09:02 PM

We just got an old fashioned butt whippin. xeekx JSU is not just good, they are very good. Great facilities, atmosphere, and great fans. Other than the game all else was a great experience. JSU is the real deal.

TTUEagles
October 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
It's still early of course, but, JSU going to the playoffs - this year might've been the year to get everyone off of the OVC's back for lack of recent playoff success. 52 - 7...my goodness...Now, I don't know what to think about TN-Martin!

JaxSinfonian
October 3rd, 2009, 10:26 PM
I'm happy you had a good time despite the outcome, hawkeye. I was glad to see there was a noticeable contingent of Martin fans there.

We knew it was going to be a long day for the Skyhawks when the score was 14-0 before our offense ever even set foot on the field. T.J. Heath ran back two interceptions, for 26 and 55 yards. Add to that Perrilloux's four touchdown passes, plus a field goal, and the points ran up awful quick. The third score, however, was a gift from the refs. Calvin Middleton was clearly down, but I give him props for noticing that nobody blew a whistle and running it in for the TD.

Cocky
October 3rd, 2009, 11:29 PM
http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/news/2009/10/3/FB_1003092823.aspx

JSU02
October 3rd, 2009, 11:37 PM
We just got an old fashioned butt whippin. xeekx JSU is not just good, they are very good. Great facilities, atmosphere, and great fans. Other than the game all else was a great experience. JSU is the real deal.

How was the food? :)

Weems
October 3rd, 2009, 11:42 PM
JSU beat us on all sides of the ball. Great win by the Gamecocks.

JohnStOnge
October 4th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Jacksonville State 52
UT Martin 7

"Capable?" I'm reluctant to ever say one team isn't capable of beating another? But we will probably never know because of the playoff ban and certainly don't know now how JSU would do against top FCS teams. Yes, the loss to Florida State was close. But Florida State is a 2-3 team that's been inconsistent. It is not unusual for I-AA/FCS teams that aren't among the very best in that subdivision to play competitvely with and sometimes even beat major teams like that. And JSU's wins, though blowouts, are over teams that have "average" FCS rankings of 48, 66, and 90 (see http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm ). It looks like the toughest tests will be Eastern Kentucky and Eastern Illinois; and both of those are currently regarded as borderline top 25 teams.

ekufbfan
October 4th, 2009, 08:03 AM
"Capable?" I'm reluctant to ever say one team isn't capable of beating another? But we will probably never know because of the playoff ban and certainly don't know now how JSU would do against top FCS teams. Yes, the loss to Florida State was close. But Florida State is a 2-3 team that's been inconsistent. It is not unusual for I-AA/FCS teams that aren't among the very best in that subdivision to play competitvely with and sometimes even beat major teams like that. And JSU's wins, though blowouts, are over teams that have "average" FCS rankings of 48, 66, and 90 (see http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm ). It looks like the toughest tests will be Eastern Kentucky and Eastern Illinois; and both of those are currently regarded as borderline top 25 teams.

You know the put downs of EKU are getting really old (I will attribute part of that to belonging to the OVC, since Samford who had little success in the OVC, immediately gained respect when they joined the So Conf just by association). We are one of the winngest programs in ALL of FCS. I am not sure who views EKU as "borderline", but as debated on here rankings are subjective at best. Now, we may get out tails beat by JSU or anyone else on "any given saturday" just like any other "borderline" or a 'more respected" team. I don't know who your favorite program is John, probably east coast would be my guess, the bias always shows.

GO EKU!!!!

ekufbfan
October 4th, 2009, 08:21 AM
JSU Fans, question for you. Is your Coach calling off the dogs? Is RP playing the entire game?

Coach Hood in close games with TTU and Murray State, put in second string and took a knee at the end of the game instead of trying to score again. Just curious, because game score does influence rankings.

Regardless, I think JSU has a strong and solid football team this year. I hope we come town undefeated in the OVC and of course hope we leave town that same way!

JaxSinfonian
October 4th, 2009, 08:52 AM
(I will attribute part of that to belonging to the OVC, since Samford who had little success in the OVC, immediately gained respect when they joined the So Conf just by association).

So you noticed that, too?

Cocky
October 4th, 2009, 09:07 AM
RP hasn't played much in the 4th qt in the last two games. I'm not sure in the A&M game. He played one play Saturday v UTM.

Cocky
October 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM

John, I believe if you where to watch some video of JSU this year you would understand what he is talking about. Talent wise this team is very capable. I also believe we could go back to FSU and win if given the chance (which I know we won't).

JohnStOnge
October 4th, 2009, 09:28 AM
You know the put downs of EKU are getting really old (I will attribute part of that to belonging to the OVC,
GO EKU!!!!

In this case I wasn't referring to belonging to the OVC. I was looking at the "average rankings" I linked (http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm ). I said that Eastern Illinois and Eastern Kentucky are "currently regarded as borderline top 25 teams" and I think that's a reasonable statement. The ratings as I type were done after the games of September 26 but I think the statement will still be reasonable when they are updated for yesterday's games. After the September 26 games, the average rating for Eastern Illinois was 23 and the average rating of Eastern Kentucky was 28. I expect Eastern Illinois will drop some and Eastern Kentucky will move up some but both will be in the lower 20s to mid 30s range.

Of course the average ratings as of last week had Jacksonville State in the top 10 at 9 after September 26 and the Gamecocks will probably move up a little. So that consistent with the argument that they're up there. But if you go by how teams are regarded right now they're not going to be playing anybody this season that's generally regarded as something like a top 10 or top 5 FCS this year. Maybe that'll change as the season goes on...particularly if an OVC team goes to the playoffs and does well. But that's the way it is right now.

JohnStOnge
October 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I don't know who your favorite program is John, probably east coast would be my guess, the bias always shows.

GO EKU!!!!

I went to McNeese State and I would also say that McNeese is currently generally regarded as a borderline top 25 team. Yes, they are top 10 in the "major" polls. But their "average" rating at http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm after the September 26 games was 22nd.

McNeese75
October 4th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I went to McNeese State and I would also say that McNeese is currently generally regarded as a borderline top 25 team. Yes, they are top 10 in the "major" polls. But their "average" rating at http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm after the September 26 games was 22nd.

Only by you John and your obsession with stats xsmhx

jsugamecocks1
October 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Ryan hasnt played much at all in the 4th of any of our wins. But they are letting Ivory run plays they are not having him come out and just give to runners he is getting to play. But sat we score our last td at the begining of the fourth and it kinda seemed like they just wanted to end the game the rest of the fourth.

ekufbfan
October 4th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Ryan hasnt played much at all in the 4th of any of our wins. But they are letting Ivory run plays they are not having him come out and just give to runners he is getting to play. But sat we score our last td at the begining of the fourth and it kinda seemed like they just wanted to end the game the rest of the fourth.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RP hasn't played e 4th qt in the last two games. I'm not sure in the A&M game. He played one play Saturday v UTM

Played one play in the 4th on Saturday? Would seem to me it was already over by then?xeyebrowx

BTW, we are using a redshirt QB, whose first game was against IU. Hopefully, he will be on the money by the time we play JSU.

jsugamecocks1
October 4th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Well sat they were letting him finish the drive that he started and not pulling him out in middle of a drive

hawkeye
October 4th, 2009, 12:15 PM
How was the food? :)

We actually had Bar B que at Dads Bar B Q I believe? Matter of fact, Ive never seen so many Bar B que places in one place. Then of course we got Bar B que'd.:D

Cocky
October 4th, 2009, 03:19 PM
We actually had Bar B que at Dads Bar B Q I believe? Matter of fact, Ive never seen so many Bar B que places in one place. Then of course we got Bar B que'd.:D

To me it's on the bottom end but eatable.

JohnStOnge
October 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Only by you John and your obsession with stats xsmhx

C'mon M75! I'm linking an average of polls and ranking systems. Ok, human polls tend to rank McNeese higher than power rating systems do. Right now, with 10 systems reporting, McNeese is at an average of 18. But it's not an "only me" thing.

BTW, you can see at that rankings comparison page that Eastern Kentucky is ranked 21st in this week's FCS coaches' poll while Eastern Illinois is ranked 24th. We'll see what the other polls say. But even if you're just talking about human polls I think it'll be true that, right now, the toughest games JSU has remaining are going to be against two teams that are generally regarded as borderline top 25 squads.

I think it's a shame JSU isn't eligible for the playoffs. I wish they were. But the fact that they're not means we're probably never going to get a chance to see how this year's edition of the Gamecocks would do against teams, such as Richmond, Villanova, and Northern Iowa, that are regarded as at the very top of FCS. If somebody like Eastern Kentucky or Eastern Illinois comes out of the OVC and makes it at least to the semifinals it'll be different. We'll see if that happens.

ekufbfan
October 4th, 2009, 06:10 PM
C'mon M75! I'm linking an average of polls and ranking systems. Ok, human polls tend to rank McNeese higher than power rating systems do. Right now, with 10 systems reporting, McNeese is at an average of 18. But it's not an "only me" thing.

BTW, you can see at that rankings comparison page that Eastern Kentucky is ranked 21st in this week's FCS coaches' poll while Eastern Illinois is ranked 24th. We'll see what the other polls say. But even if you're just talking about human polls I think it'll be true that, right now, the toughest games JSU has remaining are going to be against two teams that are generally regarded as borderline top 25 squads.

I think it's a shame JSU isn't eligible for the playoffs. I wish they were. But the fact that they're not means we're probably never going to get a chance to see how this year's edition of the Gamecocks would do against teams, such as Richmond, Villanova, and Northern Iowa, that are regarded as at the very top of FCS. If somebody like Eastern Kentucky or Eastern Illinois comes out of the OVC and makes it at least to the semifinals it'll be different. We'll see if that happens.

Generally considered borderline. Do you consider JSU borderline? I think EKU has been ranked a little higher than JSU in about all polls (does not mean we should be), but all the polls that rank teams are subjective. The conf you are in, who the folks are who are voting (and where they are from and the bias they have).

Some observations from an EKU fan who has watched/attended FCS/IAA playoffs since 1979.

1. It appears that as long as EKU is in the OVC they will not get any respect. I have long thought EKU should take steps to move. It seems JSU is on the way out as soon as FBS opens up again. There was and continues to be among "some" OVC team fans sentiment for dropping football and throwing the money into basketball.

2. I know the argument about winning a games in the playoffs and I agree.
However, there is another part of this and that is always having to play on the road. When EKU was having their long run, we were not sent on the road right out of the gate. Now, I know you have to win on the road and teams are able to do that sometimes, however the odds are against you IF you always get a seeded against one of the top ranked teams at their place. For the record, how many of you want road games during the playoffs?

3. We could win the OVC and lose the last two games in November. First against SEC member U of KY (that will be two FBS teams we will have played, not sure that gets anything except $$$) and we play JSU at their place the last game of the season. (I hope we can win one of the two)

4. EKU fans love their football and want a return to the top! But it sure is a difficult road back!

EKU05
October 4th, 2009, 10:04 PM
So you noticed that, too?

Samford also has done better in the SoCon than they ever really did in the OVC. They had one decent season with us I think. Now, I'm not suggesting that the OVC is better than the SoCon...only that the gap isn't as wide as people generally presume it to be.

Buzzcut
October 5th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Jacksonville State 52
UT Martin 7

AGREED - you guys are playing some outstanding football right now. I suspect you will be giving the rest of the OVC fits for the duration of the season. A real shame you aren't playoff eligible.

JaxSinfonian
October 5th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Samford also has done better in the SoCon than they ever really did in the OVC. They had one decent season with us I think. Now, I'm not suggesting that the OVC is better than the SoCon...only that the gap isn't as wide as people generally presume it to be.

Agreed on all counts. I don't think there's any doubt the new coach has improved things at Samford, but I haven't seen any evidence from the results over the last couple of years that they're suddenly a playoff contender.

JaxSinfonian
October 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM

I'm with the other guys, hawkeye: You coulda done better. Please don't take Dad's as representative of our local barbecue. You'd have been much better off at the Rocket or Cooter Brown's.

Maroons
October 5th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I don't know if I should be glad that EKU won't have to beat JSU for a shot at the OVC title or sad that EKU won't have to beat JSU for a shot at the OVC title.

No... no... I think I'm sad about it. It really is a shame that JSU is putting together such a dominant season but will have no chance to represent the OVC in post season play. This has to be the most impressive coaching job I've seen out of Jack Crow since JSU joined the league. How he has these guys playing with so much focus and determination is beyond me.

EKUSteve
October 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I do think that it will still be a war, especially if we are both undefeated against the rest of the conference teams when Nov 21 rolls around.

Looking forward to it. Until then, one step at a time for both of us.

JohnStOnge
October 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM

On the other hand, Jacksonville State was in the Southland for six years and never made the playoffs. If I'm counting right, the Gamecocks only finished one of those six seasons with a winning conference record. And that was at 4-3. Then they move to the OVC and go to the playoffs after their very first year. They went to the playoffs after their second year there as well and have finished with a winning conference record every time. No question that Jacksonville State has done a whole lot better in the OVC than it did in the Southland.

EKU05
October 5th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I don't know if I should be glad that EKU won't have to beat JSU for a shot at the OVC title or sad that EKU won't have to beat JSU for a shot at the OVC title.

No... no... I think I'm sad about it. It really is a shame that JSU is putting together such a dominant season but will have no chance to represent the OVC in post season play. This has to be the most impressive coaching job I've seen out of Jack Crow since JSU joined the league. How he has these guys playing with so much focus and determination is beyond me.

I'm having the same conflict of emotions, but looking at it rationally we NEED to win our next four OVC games (and it would certainly help if JSU takes care of EIU also). The last thing we need is to give that team a chance to play spoiler on the last Saturday of their season. If at all possible we need to have the auto-bid in hand before we knock on Paul Snow's door.

JSU02
October 5th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I do think that it will still be a war, especially if we are both undefeated against the rest of the conference teams when Nov 21 rolls around.

Looking forward to it. Until then, one step at a time for both of us.

Very true. I am hoping y'all beat Kentucky and that we are both in the top 10 by Nov 21. Should be a great game.

ekufbfan
October 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Looking at numbers.....

1. JSU's QB has the pedigree and the experience, EKU's QB's are pretty much a work in progress, especially TJ Pryor (red shirt freshman, first game against IU). Advantage JSU

2. Both teams seem to have solid D's. Toss Up

3. A home game for JSU. EKU will also becoming off a game against FCS Kentucky. Advantage JSU

4. EKU has been there before (been there done that; i.e. more conf titles then any other OVC team, 31 winning seasons, 2 National Championships, history, pride, etc.) and the team with a target on their back. Advantage EKU

5. Underdog? Probably EKU, everyone will expect JSU to win, EKU should be the team with something to to prove. Advantage EKU

6. JSU's statement game since they aren't eligible for playoffs. Advantage JSU

JSU 3 EKU 2 Toss Up 1

But first EKU must take care of business, BEAT TSU!!!

Cocky
October 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM
On the other hand, Jacksonville State was in the Southland for six years and never made the playoffs. If I'm counting right, the Gamecocks only finished one of those six seasons with a winning conference record. And that was at 4-3. Then they move to the OVC and go to the playoffs after their very first year. They went to the playoffs after their second year there as well and have finished with a winning conference record every time. No question that Jacksonville State has done a whole lot better in the OVC than it did in the Southland.

If my memory is correct, the OVC wasn't regarded as a better conference than the SLC then either. Are you suggesting that the OVC was better, unlike most on here believe, that the SOCON last year?

ekufbfan
October 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Looking at numbers.....

1. JSU's QB has the pedigree and the experience, EKU's QB's are pretty much a work in progress, especially TJ Pryor (red shirt freshman, first game against IU). Advantage JSU

2. Both teams seem to have solid D's. Toss Up

3. A home game for JSU. EKU will also becoming off a game against FBS Kentucky. Advantage JSU

4. EKU has been there before (been there done that; i.e. more conf titles then any other OVC team, 31 winning seasons, 2 National Championships, history, pride, etc.) and the team with a target on their back. Advantage EKU

5. Underdog? EKU, everyone will expect JSU to win, EKU should be the team with something to prove. Advantage EKU

6. JSU's statement game since they aren't eligible for playoffs. Advantage JSU

JSU 3 EKU 2 Toss Up 1

But first EKU must take care of business, BEAT TSU!!!

ekufbfan
October 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM
If my memory is correct, the OVC wasn't regarded as a better conference than the SLC then either. Are you suggesting that the OVC was better, unlike most on here believe, that the SOCON last year?

I am not sure how many years ago you are talking about, but in my opinion the OVC was a better conference a numbers of years ago with MTSU, YSU, Akron and yes, I hate to admit it, wku. EKU was the premier program and that's a fact. EKU had an opportunity to join the So Conf during the time that these teams were leaving, but the then EKU President was "concerned" about travel expenses (of all sports ) and refused to consider it, to EKU's disadvantage, we should have made the move!

Unfortunately, the OVC was a better football conference in the past than it is now and that's a shame. (2 teams in the conf that does not sponsor scholarship football, programs coming and going, some teams who seem only to be interested in basketball, pitiful playoff record for the past 9 years, very little upgrade in facilites, except for JSU with their intention of moving on). Very frustrating for diehard EKU fans

Cocky
October 5th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I was speaking of when JSU left the SLC and joined the OVC.

ekufbfan
October 5th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I was speaking of when JSU left the SLC and joined the OVC.

Well, doesn't matter, IMO, unfortunately it's not gettin' any better!xsmhx
(And my sentiment is for EKU to GET OUT ASAP!)

EKU05
October 5th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I am not sure how many years ago you are talking about, but in my opinion the OVC was a better conference a numbers of years ago with MTSU, YSU, Akron and yes, I hate to admit it, wku. EKU was the premier program and that's a fact. EKU had an opportunity to join the So Conf during the time that these teams were leaving, but the then EKU President was "concerned" about travel expenses (of all sports ) and refused to consider it, to EKU's disadvantage, we should have made the move!

Unfortunately, the OVC was a better football conference in the past than it is now and that's a shame. (2 teams in the conf that does not sponsor scholarship football, programs coming and going, some teams who seem only to be interested in basketball, pitiful playoff record for the past 9 years, very little upgrade in facilites, except for JSU with their intention of moving on). Very frustrating for diehard EKU fans

I agree, but I don't hold the teams not sposoring scholarship football against the conference. The SoCon has that exact same thing going on, so in that regard it's basically a wash. The OVC is also probably still a better basketball conference in terms of fan base, and level of play most (but not all) years.

The OVC playoff recored is certainly pathetic. It's a shame about JSU this year because I think we'd stand half a chance of getting both JSU and EKU in if the cards fell right.

Honestly, I'm not sure why we aren't doing a study like JSU is. I'm not saying we should go FBS, but if we're prudent we should at least have our finger on the pulse of that situation. We can't afford to not consider every possible option.

Buzzcut
October 6th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I see no need whatsoever for EKU to entertain the thought of going FBS. As storied of a program it is, I would hate to see it take the step to the next level, only to find itself in the same position as WKU. And despite what WKU fans think, what do they really have to look forward to with regards to their football program? The best they can hope for is a chance to play in the New Orleans Bowl, which IMO is a big time chump bowl. The rest of the time they will simply serve as target practice for big FBS programs. I say stay FCS and continue making strides towards winning another national championship.

EKU05
October 6th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I see no need whatsoever for EKU to entertain the thought of going FBS. As storied of a program it is, I would hate to see it take the step to the next level, only to find itself in the same position as WKU. And despite what WKU fans think, what do they really have to look forward to with regards to their football program? The best they can hope for is a chance to play in the New Orleans Bowl, which IMO is a big time chump bowl. The rest of the time they will simply serve as target practice for big FBS programs. I say stay FCS and continue making strides towards winning another national championship.

The Sun Belt has gotten two bowls some years. They've actually been improving as a conference faster than most expected. WKU just has a terrible coach...that's why the program has taken a step back every year since he took over immediately after their national title.

I'm not saying we should go at all, but we need to gather all of the info to see what is and is not feasible in all regards to the football program.

ekufbfan
October 6th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I am not suggesting FBS. What I think we/EKU desperately need is a PLAN for improvement and that includes another conference if the OVC continue the decline that I have seen over the past 20 years (sorry, but that is how I see it)! We have sat back and watched programs that we competed against and defeated (Marshall, Boise State!!!, Troy, South Florida, Central Florida, Fla. Atlantic, MTSU, Akron, wku..I am sure I have left out some) improve their progams and facilities while we just muddle along hoping that things will work out okay, that we will continue to have winning seasons, and that we won't lose our fan base (it has already shrunk). RK Stadium needs an upgrading badly (as does Alumni Colsieum). IF you do what you always did, you get what you always got (and it hasn't been too hot lately!). Mediocrity is what I see, I am sorry to say.:(

EKU05
October 6th, 2009, 06:58 PM
My ideal situation would be an all-sports move to the Missouri Valley, but that isn't going to happen. The SoCon is a better football conference, but I'm not sure it's a completely better conference across the board. For me, the the SoCon presents that situation like if you have a job that you're at least comfortable with and you get an offer that is better, but also causes you to have to uproot and start a lot of things from scratch. Is it worth it for a nominal salary increase? Plus they don't want us right now anyway...which is odd considering they went all out to get Samford.(?)

At least our fan base has some familiarty with our long time OVC foes. With the exception of App State being America's FCS sweetheart I just don't see our fans being any more enthused about SoCon teams than they are about playing our Murray, Morehead, Austin Peay, and Tennessee Tech like we have been for forty years.

It's just kind of a no win situation. When I look at it realistically I'd like to be somewhere better, but there isn't anywhere practically better to go unless there is a future shake up that lands us in FBS a few years down the road. There's no question in my mind we're the top overall athletics program in the OVC, though.

ekufbfan
October 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
EKU05: You are correct about one thing, there are not many options for EKU at present. However, the lack of study and/or planning for moving forward at EKU is disappointing.

Watching Troy and MTSU on TV right now. I have made many trips to Murfreesboro for football games, when EKU and MTSU were on the same page. MTSU may not be setting the world on fire but they are way ahead of us in terms of an overall plan, facilites and promotion of their program. All important if you are to build a fan base from your current student population, something it seems we just don't get.

EKU 100 Great Years of Football

JohnStOnge
October 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM
The Sun Belt has gotten two bowls some years. They've actually been improving as a conference faster than most expected. .

On what basis do you say that the Sun Belt has been improving rapidly as a conference? It continues to have a horrible record against other FBS conferences. Sure, they'll win a game against non conference competition from time to time. But I really don't see any evidence that it's been improving at all...much less "rapidly."

As far as bowls go...well...more than half the teams in FBS go to bowls. FBS is in a situation where sometimes they have difficulty in filling all the slots. The idea that the Sun Belt "sometimes" has two bowl slots means it's improving is fallacious.

JohnStOnge
October 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Are you suggesting that the OVC was better, unlike most on here believe, that the SOCON last year?

No.

EKU05
October 6th, 2009, 08:31 PM
On what basis do you say that the Sun Belt has been improving rapidly as a conference? It continues to have a horrible record against other FBS conferences. Sure, they'll win a game against non conference competition from time to time. But I really don't see any evidence that it's been improving at all...much less "rapidly."

As far as bowls go...well...more than half the teams in FBS go to bowls. FBS is in a situation where sometimes they have difficulty in filling all the slots. The idea that the Sun Belt "sometimes" has two bowl slots means it's improving is fallacious.

They don't usually have that much trouble filling the spots. In 1997 a bowl Eligible Louisville got left out despite being in a BCS conference.

I didn't say the SBC was working miracles, but from where they started they have come a long way. They've been outdrawing the MAC in attendance for a few years I believe, which is a decent sign of stability for an unspart league that has sponsored football for less than a decade. There is plenty of opportunity for that league to get better, and the schools that are already members when and if that happens can be big winners. If there's ever another major conference shift some of the better ones will likely land in C-USA. You have to crawl before you can walk.

I remember a few years ago they were made fun of for having a Sagarin lower than several FCS leagues. That's no longer the case, they are ahead of even the CAA and closing in on the MAC. The SBC isn't ideal, but they're getting some things done. MTSU has handles Maryland in back to back years and they likely aren't even the best team in the conference.

You can make fun of lower level bowl games all you want, but when your team is in one it can be a lot of fun, and let's face it...the worst bowl is still a higher profile event than the FCS title game whether that's fair or not (and I agree that it's not).

EKU05
October 6th, 2009, 08:33 PM
EKU05: You are correct about one thing, there are not many options for EKU at present. However, the lack of study and/or planning for moving forward at EKU is disappointing.

Watching Troy and MTSU on TV right now. I have made many trips to Murfreesboro for football games, when EKU and MTSU were on the same page. MTSU may not be setting the world on fire but they are way ahead of us in terms of an overall plan, facilites and promotion of their program. All important if you are to build a fan base from your current student population, something it seems we just don't get.

EKU 100 Great Years of Football

Exactly. But what I can't figure out is whether or not our current leadership doesn't get it or if they're just stymied by past leadership having missed the boat when it came by the first time.

ekufbfan
October 6th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Exactly. But what I can't figure out is whether or not our current leadership doesn't get it or if they're just stymied by past leadership having missed the boat when it came by the first time.

Can't figure it out/doesn't get it/does not care to get it....hold overs from the Funnyburke years; never been anywhere else to learn there might be another way of doing things xchinscratchx

Funny you used the cliche, you were dead on. Our ship came in and we missed the boat! xbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangx

JohnStOnge
October 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM
They don't usually have that much trouble filling the spots. In 1997 a bowl Eligible Louisville got left out despite being in a BCS conference.

I didn't say the SBC was working miracles, but from where they started they have come a long way. They've been outdrawing the MAC in attendance for a few years I believe, which is a decent sign of stability for an unspart league that has sponsored football for less than a decade. There is plenty of opportunity for that league to get better, and the schools that are already members when and if that happens can be big winners. If there's ever another major conference shift some of the better ones will likely land in C-USA. You have to crawl before you can walk.

I remember a few years ago they were made fun of for having a Sagarin lower than several FCS leagues. That's no longer the case, they are ahead of even the CAA and closing in on the MAC. The SBC isn't ideal, but they're getting some things done. MTSU has handles Maryland in back to back years and they likely aren't even the best team in the conference.

You can make fun of lower level bowl games all you want, but when your team is in one it can be a lot of fun, and let's face it...the worst bowl is still a higher profile event than the FCS title game whether that's fair or not (and I agree that it's not).

I think you meant to type "2007." And, yes, Louisville didn't go. But only one Sun Belt team went as well. Troy sat the postseason out in spite of going 8-4 and beating Oklahoma State (which did go to a bowl at 6-6).

There are now 34 bowls. That means 68 teams are needed and there are only 120 FBS programs. I don't think it takes a genius to see that there are going to be times when they're scrambling for enough bowl eligible teams.

As far as the lower tier bowl experience: I've written about it before but I'll write it again. I am a McNeese fan. McNeese went to three Independence Bowls before it made the decision to move to I-AA. And that was before there were so many bowls that going to a bowl really doesn't mean that much. I went to two of them.

There is no comparison, none, between the intensity of a bowl game like that and that of a I-AA/FCS playoff game. And there's certainly no comparison between a bowl game like that and the intensity involved in actually moving through the playoffs to the championship game. Unfortunately, I haven't experienced what it would be like for McNeese to actually win the championship game. But I have absolutely no doubt that the feeling would be much better than the feeling I had when McNeese beat Tulsa in the inaugural Independence Bowl.

ASU_Fanatic
October 7th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah Perriloux is a great QB, JSU will make the playoffs this year.

JohnStOnge
October 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Yeah Perriloux is a great QB, JSU will make the playoffs this year.

In all honestly, I think that what would happen if they could be in the playoffs is that they'd get matched up with a good MVC team and get smacked in the first round. But it'd be nice to see if that would be the case instead of having the NCAA do the nonsense it's been doing.

ekufbfan
October 7th, 2009, 07:54 PM
In all honestly, I think that what would happen if they could be in the playoffs is that they'd get matched up with a good MVC team and get smacked in the first round. But it'd be nice to see if that would be the case instead of having the NCAA do the nonsense it's been doing.

Everyone has an opinion and obviously you have one too...about everything xnodx

IMHO, unfortunately for us (EKU) I think JSU is FOR REAL and being in the OVC has nothing to do with how good they are/are not, which obviously you are judging them on. They have been impressive, the shame of it all is this speculation of how far they could go OR how they would (to use your words)"get smacked in the first round," we will never know, so it's use less debate.

GO EKU!!!

Cocky
October 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM

John they might would get beat but I don't think there is a team in FCS that could smack us this year.

EKU05
October 7th, 2009, 08:28 PM
John they might would get beat but I don't think there is a team in FCS that could smack us this year.

Anybody who disagrees with that statement needs to be in white padded room.

However, if the EKU offense continues to make strides me might be able to put up that victory for the OVC as well. We just need to take care of the football a little better, but things are coming along, and the defense is already among the elite nationally. Here's hoping.

TTUEagles
October 7th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Well even last year...I thought EKU was as good as most in the FCS....but, my god, they got sent on the road to the eventual national champion.

ekufbfan
October 7th, 2009, 09:39 PM
EKU05: Just an observation at this point in Coach Hood's young tenure at EKU. I don't think you will see EKU put up big numbers on any team, even when capable. Coach Hood does not seem to play that kind of game, he does not seem to be interested in adding on points, taking a knee at the end of the game agaisnt TTU and MSU. Playing second string when he can, Coach Kidd did this too, eventually this pays off with experience for untested young players, even when it costs you in the polls (i.e. not showing on the scoreboard a big margin win, when the final score does not reflect what the score actually could have been).

Bam
October 8th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Well even last year...I thought EKU was as good as most in the FCS....but, my god, they got sent on the road to the eventual national champion.

Until a OVC member makes some noise in the playoffs, I see this as a yearly trend.xmadx

Buzzcut
October 8th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Until a OVC member makes some noise in the playoffs, I see this as a yearly trend.xmadx

Agreed. The overall level of play in the OVC simply does not adequately prepare a team to play OOC teams during the playoffs. I'm not saying EKU isn't a strong FCS program (and getting better), it's just that they need a STRONGER out of conference schedule during the course of the regular season to prepare us for post-seaon play. And playing teams like Western Carolina simply isn't going to cut it (no offense to any Catamounts fans). We need to be playing top tier MVFC and SoCon teams.

Bam
October 8th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Agreed. The overall level of play in the OVC simply does not adequately prepare a team to play OOC teams during the playoffs. I'm not saying EKU isn't a strong FCS program (and getting better), it's just that they need a STRONGER out of conference schedule during the course of the regular season to prepare us for post-seaon play. And playing teams like Western Carolina simply isn't going to cut it (no offense to any Catamounts fans). We need to be playing top tier MVFC and SoCon teams.

So true, instead of 2 money games, why not schedule one tougher OOC game? FYI, I am off crack Buzzcut & now I am 300 pounds again.

Buzzcut
October 8th, 2009, 08:11 AM
So true, instead of 2 money games, why not schedule one tougher OOC game? FYI, I am off crack Buzzcut & now I am 300 pounds again.

Sorry to hear about the weight gain Bam, but crack will do that to ya. That's why I prefer a strictly high fiber diet of beer and sour mash xsmiley_wix.

Let's hope the weather clears for Saturday or tailgating might involve floating a canoe.

Bam
October 8th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Sorry to hear about the weight gain Bam, but crack will do that to ya. That's why I prefer a strictly high fiber diet of beer and sour mash xsmiley_wix.

Let's hope the weather clears for Saturday or tailgating might involve floating a canoe.

Amen, I have to work in Lex till 5, so no tailgate for me. xbawlingx But I will kick a** to make the game. I am off for HC, so watch out for some decadence & debauchery. xthumbsupx

Buzzcut
October 8th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Amen, I have to work in Lex till 5, so no tailgate for me. xbawlingx But I will kick a** to make the game. I am off for HC, so watch out for some decadence & debauchery. xthumbsupx

I'll be on the prowl for some D & D myself. Right after I procure adequate provisions at Liquor World. :D

Bam
October 8th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Liquor World for you & Liquor Barn for me. Be safe & drink a few 10 or so for me Sat.

EKU05
October 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM

That will probably happen many years, but the bottom line is that the reason to schedule two money games is because the profit from those games is a big part of our athletics budget affecting things well beyond football.

Besides, a game like the IU game is basically like playing a very good FCS team, plus we get the cash. UK is going to be a little tougher, but we're still facing great competition while keeping ourselves financially afloat.

fbfan: Believe me, I'm well aware of Coach Hood's style, but that hasn't been the problem so far this year when the offense didn't put up big numbers. It's one thing to call off the dogs and get some guys in the game, but it's quite another to trail Tech for 42 minutes before we take our first lead. I'm not worried about big numbers, but I would to see us assert ourselves early in the game a little more often and not leave as much to chance. Coach Hood is doing a great job...I'm a big fan.

Turnovers aside, I think the offense took some real steps forward at EIU. If that trend continues we should be able to give JSU a game down in Alabama to end the season. The most important thing for the O is to be opportunistic. The one thing we can't afford is to waste trips to the redzone like we did at Indiana.

I just don't think the benefits of being is a league like the SoCon would be enough to convince me to move. The competition is better, but that also means it's tougher to get the autobid. The road trips are not as close which might cost the program more while making road trips less feasible for many fans, and beyond that it might mess up good things our other programs have going in the OVC. Outside of the Davidson phenomenon SoCon basketball would be a step down. There would be benefits, but the question is do they outweigh the costs? I'm not totally convinced.

Like I said before, if we could move EKU to any FCS league and take all sports along I'd go to the Missouri Valley is a second. That would be a big step up in almost every way, but the SoCon on the whole (not just football) be a lateral move with fewer traditional rivals IMO.

jaxstatealum
October 8th, 2009, 12:42 PM
This has to be the most impressive coaching job I've seen out of Jack Crow since JSU joined the league. How he has these guys playing with so much focus and determination is beyond me.

It's beyond us too Maroons....

EKU05
October 8th, 2009, 10:34 PM
It's an odd phenomenon. I think sometimes when teams realize there is no "next step" they can take after the regular season they realize that all they have to play for is right here and right now. Whatever it is, JSU is playing some unbelievable football this year.

JSU02
October 8th, 2009, 11:21 PM
It's an odd phenomenon. I think sometimes when teams realize there is no "next step" they can take after the regular season they realize that all they have to play for is right here and right now. Whatever it is, JSU is playing some unbelievable football this year.

What ever Crowe is doing to get the team motivated I hope he does the exact same thing next year. Part of the APR penalty is a reduction in practice time, so they are not practicing on Mondays at all now (Academic Mondays is what they are calling it). I know it is counter-intuitive, but I wonder if less practice time is actually helping the team play better? xconfusedx

EKU05
October 9th, 2009, 04:41 PM
What ever Crowe is doing to get the team motivated I hope he does the exact same thing next year. Part of the APR penalty is a reduction in practice time, so they are not practicing on Mondays at all now (Academic Mondays is what they are calling it). I know it is counter-intuitive, but I wonder if less practice time is actually helping the team play better? xconfusedx

There is a fine line between practicing to get better, and having your team tired. I don't think the idea that an extra day off could potentially keep a team a little more fresh for game day is impossible. I'm not saying that's the reason either, but I don't think the notion is crazy.

Cocky
October 9th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Less coaching from Crowe is probably good.

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Next year will be a different team. Different players. JSU really screwed up by being hit by that academic thing THIS year. Of course I don't really blame JSU. I think it's a stupid set of rules. I mean, think about it. Say a school says it's going to be academically demanding and treat its players like it treats all other students. Chances are pretty good it's going to lose some players who can't cut it just like it loses other students. That's especially true of a small state school that's not selecting the creme de la creme of students in terms of innate aptitude to begin with.

Take my alma mater, McNeese. For 2007 McNeese had only an 11.7% four-year graduation rate and a 27.5% five-year rate (http://www.scholarships.com/ViewCollege_GraduationRates.aspx?uid=159717). I know people have been conditioned to think that means something wrong but I don't think it does. McNeese is not highly selective in admissions. It lets a broad spectrum of students give it a shot. So if it maintains reasonable standards as to what it takes to make it through and get a degree, it's going to have a low graduation rate.

Yet the NCAA says it essentially has to graduate athletes at 60%. That means the NCAA is demanding that it treat its athletes differently than it treats its other students. It either has to be more selective in terms of the innate academic ability of its athletes...which is not going to happen...or it has to take steps to either water down what they're opposed to or coddle them to a much greater extent than it treats the "typical" person on campus.

To me that's the opposite of what the NCAA should be trying to accomplish in ensuring that "student athletes" are "students."

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Just looked it up and the situation at Jacksonville State is similar to that at McNeese. The five-year graduation rate for Jacksonville State in 2007 was 29.2%. Yet the NCAA demands that it graduate its athletes graduate at about 60%. It's very unfair. It also basically puts pressure on schools to wink at playing games to make sure athletes graduate at over twice the rate as that characterizing the general student population.

Cocky
October 10th, 2009, 08:20 AM
We were also punished for a player who graduated but enter grad school to play an additional year. This player didn't finish his grad degree so he counted against us in the APR.

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2009, 08:54 AM
We were also punished for a player who graduated but enter grad school to play an additional year. This player didn't finish his grad degree so he counted against us in the APR.

Not surprised. To me, if the NCAA is going to have a system to sanction schools for inadequate graduation and/or retention rates, the standard ought to be that the graduation and/or retention rates of athletes not be "significantly" lower than the rates characterizing a given school's general student population. They're not there on academic scholarships. In fact a lot of them wouldn't be in college at all if they hadn't been offered athletic aid. If anything, the population of athletes at a school probably has a lower mean academic aptitude level than that of other students. It's not rational to insist that they have higher graduation and/or retention rates.