PDA

View Full Version : Elon @ Furman

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 3rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
WTF? Only 3 points in the first half?
Is there a monsoon in Greenville today?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 3rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Furman hits a long FG and ties the game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 3rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
3-3

Going into the fourth quarter.

LarryBoy
October 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
6-3 Furman, 10:44 left.

LarryBoy
October 3rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Elon misses mid-ranged FG, still 6-3 Furman with about 8:30 to go.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
10-6 Elon

Riddle to Hudgins TD
4:30+ left.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
TD Elon
10-6 EU.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 3rd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Furman goes for 2 and doesn't get it...WTF?

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
12-10 Furman

1:56 remaining.

Elon Fightin' Christians
October 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Elon to Furman 30 1:05 left

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 3rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Elon driving--down to the Furman 19

...less than one minute left.

Elon Fightin' Christians
October 3rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
to the 19 yrd line :55

Elon Fightin' Christians
October 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
C'mon kicker !!!!

Elon Fightin' Christians
October 3rd, 2009, 05:07 PM
Furman goes for 2 and doesn't get it...WTF?

It was a bad snap on the FG try PAT. They didn't go for 2.

Elon Fightin' Christians
October 3rd, 2009, 05:07 PM
GOOOOOODDDDD !!!!!!!

unigriff
October 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
??? what happened

TxState_GO_CATS!
what a game.

well, what a fourth quarter...lol

gophoenix
37 yard field goal good

4 seconds to go

TxState_GO_CATS!
FG ELON

13-12 Elon

2 seconds left.

Elon Fightin' Christians
October 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
FIGHTIN' CHRISTIANS WIN !!!!!!!!!!!

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
19-12 ELON

Elon recovers kickoff in the endzone.

Game over.

Elon Fightin' Christians
October 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
TERRELL HUDGINS- 16 recs 209 yrds 1 TD. New All-time FCS/1-AA receptions leader.

phoenixphanatic21
October 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Terrell Hudgins is the man and Adam Shreiner is clutch to no end. Hell of a victory and a great game to Furman. Yall played a hell of a game. Shame one of us had to lose.

furman94
October 3rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
That was one of the worst losses in Paladin Stadium history. This one hurt more than most. FU.

gophoenix
October 3rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Question, when did they get rid of the incidental face mask penalty? I know the Radio and TV announcers were both commenting on the incidental face masks being personal fouls now by rule, is that right? Did I miss this change?

T-Dog
October 3rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Question, when did they get rid of the incidental face mask penalty? I know the Radio and TV announcers were both commenting on the incidental face masks being personal fouls now by rule, is that right? Did I miss this change?

Yeah, the 5 yard face mask is no more as of 2008.

BossEagle
October 3rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
The guys broadcasting the game kept on talking about whether or not the facemasks would be 15 or 5 yarders, they didn't know that all facemask penalties are 15 yarders???

phoenixphanatic21
October 3rd, 2009, 06:04 PM

Which is funny, because one of the commentators on SportSouth kept saying "We'll have to wait and see if it'll have a 5 or 15 yard penalty." xlolx

Phoenixrising
October 3rd, 2009, 06:24 PM
The commentators for this afternoon's game were absolutely abysmal. One was an ex-quarterback for Furman that kept using personalized language like "we need a first down here" or "that is a great run for us". And the other, whether out of association or otherwise, couldn't seem to present information in an unbiased light either. If you can't be impartial, don't do that job. (Before I get anyone jumping down my throat, I'm well aware that everyone feels that the announcers are out to get them, but this case feels obviously biased.)

I find it ironic that the last time these two teams met at Paladin stadium it was one of the highest scoring games of all time while today's game was nothing shrot of a defensive war.

youwouldno
October 3rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Dismal coaching performance by Lamb. Easily one of his worst. Impressive effort by Furman's defense though.

Elon better make a run this year, because Hudgins is irreplaceable and they have a very solid defense. Might be a while before the stars are aligned as well.

CamelCityAppFan
October 3rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
The commentators for this afternoon's game were absolutely abysmal. One was an ex-quarterback for Furman that kept using personalized language like "we need a first down here" or "that is a great run for us".

Yeah, that was Sam Wyche, former NFL coach (coached the Bengals, and I think did a stint with the Bucs too). He is absolutely horrible. He did the same thing the last time Furman-App was on Sportssouth. It's almost unwatchable with him running his mouth.

TV should be different than radio-- every team has a radio network with homers for announcers; that's part of the fun. Broadcasters on TV to a regional or national audience should have the appearance of being unbiased.

gophoenix
October 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM

Wow, how did I miss that?? That is a big rule change for college; changes momentum in games instantly. Granted, players shouldn't do it either way. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, that was Sam Wyche, former NFL coach (coached the Bengals, and I think did a stint with the Bucs too). He is absolutely horrible. He did the same thing the last time Furman-App was on Sportssouth. It's almost unwatchable with him running his mouth.

TV should be different than radio-- every team has a radio network with homers for announcers; that's part of the fun. Broadcasters on TV to a regional or national audience should have the appearance of being unbiased.

I wish our radio announcers were a little biased. It is sometimes nauseating to listen to our broadcasts and hear Hibbard get excited about the other team making big plays.

Anyway, Wyche is biased, but I'll take that rather than no TV at all.

T-Dog
October 3rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
The commentators for this afternoon's game were absolutely abysmal. One was an ex-quarterback for Furman that kept using personalized language like "we need a first down here" or "that is a great run for us". And the other, whether out of association or otherwise, couldn't seem to present information in an unbiased light either. If you can't be impartial, don't do that job. (Before I get anyone jumping down my throat, I'm well aware that everyone feels that the announcers are out to get them, but this case feels obviously biased.)

I find it ironic that the last time these two teams met at Paladin stadium it was one of the highest scoring games of all time while today's game was nothing shrot of a defensive war.

You have no realized why Georgia Southern and App fans have disliked that duo for the longest time. xthumbsupx

AppMan
October 3rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
That was one of the worst losses in Paladin Stadium history. This one hurt more than most. FU.

Once again Furman snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

FUwolfpacker
October 3rd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Once again Furman snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

We may be the best team in the country at doing that. For every game we come back to win, we find a way to lose 4 of those.

Just a game of missed opportunities for Furman. Dropped INT's, 2 passes to RJ Webb that were sure touchdowns that were just out of his reach, poor end of the game clock management...pretty frustrating.

With that said...we still had a chance to make a play and end the game. Got to give it to Elon...they just made one more play than we did.

I'm just happy we've seen the last of Hudgens (and soon to be Edwards) in Paladin Stadium. Holy cow, Hudgens made 2 catches today that I'm sure only about 3 WR's (if that many) in the FCS would make. He's a special player.

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
I watched this game and could not believe this happened...I wanted to talk more smack to Elon:D

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2009, 07:48 AM
We may be the best team in the country at doing that. For every game we come back to win, we find a way to lose 4 of those.

Just a game of missed opportunities for Furman. Dropped INT's, 2 passes to RJ Webb that were sure touchdowns that were just out of his reach, poor end of the game clock management...pretty frustrating.

With that said...we still had a chance to make a play and end the game. Got to give it to Elon...they just made one more play than we did.

I'm just happy we've seen the last of Hudgens (and soon to be Edwards) in Paladin Stadium. Holy cow, Hudgens made 2 catches today that I'm sure only about 3 WR's (if that many) in the FCS would make. He's a special player.

Going in most Furman fans knew we had to play a very good game to beat Elon. I hope this game will silence the critics of Furman's defense, as the Paladins held a vaunted offense to one touchdown.

Elon is a very good team. I think they are the class of the SoCon right now. Riddle does a fantastic job of looking off defensive backs and Hudgins is very hard to keep from catching the ball.

I am also impressed with Furman. Furman is still very young on defense, but they are young, fast, and hard hitting. Saturday's game was a physical one and a real great one to watch from the stands. Tough loss for the Paladins, but I still think we are very much a playoff team.

Phoenix87
October 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Going in most Furman fans knew we had to play a very good game to beat Elon. I hope this game will silence the critics of Furman's defense, as the Paladins held a vaunted offense to one touchdown.

Elon is a very good team. I think they are the class of the SoCon right now. Riddle does a fantastic job of looking off defensive backs and Hudgins is very hard to keep from catching the ball.

I am also impressed with Furman. Furman is still very young on defense, but they are young, fast, and hard hitting. Saturday's game was a physical one and a real great one to watch from the stands. Tough loss for the Paladins, but I still think we are very much a playoff team.

Hat's off to the Furman defense. While we racked up huge yardage through the air, your defense was a "bend but don't break" defense all day long. If you would have told me that Riddle would have almost 400 yards passing and only 1 TD, I would have said you were crazy. When the game came down to that last FG I thought it was over. What a huge kick for our freshman kicker. Lastly, this is THE YEAR for the Phoenix to make a run; not just at the SoCon Champ but Nat'l Champ. This is the most complete team we have had since the early 80's when we won two NAIA Nat'l Champ. Hopefully the team can stay focused. I'm tired of us falling apart the last three weeks of the season after almost having a playoff birth locked up.

Death Dealer
October 4th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Best defense I've seen the Paladins play in three years. Worst officiating I've ever seen in Paladin Stadium. Their D line manhandled our O line for the entire second half. JS made some horrible throws. Granted, he also made some very nice ones, but two of the bad ones cost us 12 points. We ran the clock down for Elon at the end of the game. I'm sure their coaches will be sending ours a bouquet of roses to thank them for that bonehead move. Icing the kicker never works. They are either going to make it or not. All we did was guarntee when they did, that we only had 2 seconds left to try to score. WTH???xoopsx

ElonPride
October 4th, 2009, 09:58 AM

I was keeping up with the game on my phone and could not believe the score by looking at the stats.

Furman came in with a great defensive plan, but the Hudgins/Riddle duo was just a tad too much.

Furman fans, after looking at the stats from your game versus PC, I was a skeptic. But your boys played lights out yesterday! The D has certianly matured since the first week!

furman94
October 4th, 2009, 10:17 PM
On the plus side, we had a very enthusiastic crowd of close to 13,000 present :) I'm ready for the App State WHITE OUT! That game should have a great atmosphere!

Elon Fightin' Christians
October 4th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I think more people should be talking about how well ELON's defense has played all year...

T-Dog
October 4th, 2009, 11:16 PM
On the plus side, we had a very enthusiastic crowd of close to 13,000 present :) I'm ready for the App State WHITE OUT! That game should have a great atmosphere!

It would be a better atmosphere if the game wasn't at NOON! The game's on freaking Halloween, have it at night!

ChiefGSU275
October 5th, 2009, 04:36 AM
This was definitely one of those games where I wanted both teams to lose. BUT, I found myself pulling for the Paladins, just because i know we still get a shot at them later this year. Hats off to Elon for pulling one out and right now looking like the team to beat in the conference.

gophoenix
October 5th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Best defense I've seen the Paladins play in three years. Worst officiating I've ever seen in Paladin Stadium. Their D line manhandled our O line for the entire second half. JS made some horrible throws. Granted, he also made some very nice ones, but two of the bad ones cost us 12 points. We ran the clock down for Elon at the end of the game. I'm sure their coaches will be sending ours a bouquet of roses to thank them for that bonehead move. Icing the kicker never works. They are either going to make it or not. All we did was guarntee when they did, that we only had 2 seconds left to try to score. WTH???xoopsx

I think icing the kicker can work. And I think Elon fans should recognize we are lucky it didn't work. A true freshman kicker, who hasn't had to make a big kick like that, I think the TO was a good thing overall.

The officiating is always bad in close games, no matter who the refs are. Neither team's fans are going to be ok with calls that are made....

BullDog85
October 5th, 2009, 07:51 AM
It's questionable if "icing" works. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icing_the_kicker

Great win for the Flaming Pigeons at Furple. Hard to beat the Barney's in their own back yard.xcoffeex

elon77
October 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM

All the ref's were Furman Grads.:D

ElonPride
October 5th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I think icing the kicker can work. And I think Elon fans should recognize we are lucky it didn't work. A true freshman kicker, who hasn't had to make a big kick like that, I think the TO was a good thing overall.

The officiating is always bad in close games, no matter who the refs are. Neither team's fans are going to be ok with calls that are made....

I agree with GP here. Shriener missed one from 38 yards just minutes earlier. This one was 37, so I would agree with the coaches to call the TOs. A true frosh kicker, big game situation, already missed a FG from nearly the same distance earlier in the 4th.....

phoenixphanatic21
October 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I think more people should be talking about how well ELON's defense has played all year...

Amen, these guys have played outstanding all year and deserve some credit. Elon's not just an offensive powerhouse anymore.

I agree with GP here. Shriener missed one from 38 yards just minutes earlier. This one was 37, so I would agree with the coaches to call the TOs. A true frosh kicker, big game situation, already missed a FG from nearly the same distance earlier in the 4th.....

Actually, he's a redshirt freshman. But I was still pretty nervous. That earlier missed field goal sure didn't help, though that was from the left hash and the game winner was dead center in the middle of the field. I had a good feeling he'd make it, but there's only one field goal I can think of that I was more nervous about, and that was John Kasay's NFC South winning field goal in Week 17 against New Orleans last year. I had the same feeling it would be good, but LORD I was still nervous as hell for it. It's nice to know that Shreiner can be clutch like Wilcox was for us last year.

PhoenixMan
October 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Amen, these guys have played outstanding all year and deserve some credit. Elon's not just an offensive powerhouse anymore.

Actually, he's a redshirt freshman. But I was still pretty nervous. That earlier missed field goal sure didn't help, though that was from the left hash and the game winner was dead center in the middle of the field. I had a good feeling he'd make it, but there's only one field goal I can think of that I was more nervous about, and that was John Kasay's NFC South winning field goal in Week 17 against New Orleans last year. I had the same feeling it would be good, but LORD I was still nervous as hell for it. It's nice to know that Shreiner can be clutch like Wilcox was for us last year.

The Paladins coaches did the right thing icing him. Use the TO's if you have them. The pressure was building on him, I could tell by seeing him on TV. Shreiners claim to fame (literally) is that he made a 58 yarder in HS to win a game. An Elon coach told me that Katrina must have been coming through at his back, because he can't make one from that distance. He added that they are very confident in him from 40 and in. Wilcox was a gamer, he wanted that last kick to win it. Hopefully, Shreiner will develop into the same type clutch player. Saturday was a start.

phoenixphanatic21
October 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM
The Paladins coaches did the right thing icing him. Use the TO's if you have them. The pressure was building on him, I could tell by seeing him on TV. Shreiners claim to fame (literally) is that he made a 58 yarder in HS to win a game. An Elon coach told me that Katrina must have been coming through at his back, because he can't make one from that distance. He added that they are very confident in him from 40 and in. Wilcox was a gamer, he wanted that last kick to win it. Hopefully, Shreiner will develop into the same type clutch player. Saturday was a start.

I'm not saying they didn't do the right thing. I probably would've tried to ice him too if I was them. And Saturday was a great start to develop into a clutch player like Wilcox. I hope we get to see more of that. Wait, actually, no I don't. I don't want to die of a heart attack at an early age from watching too many close football games.