PDA

View Full Version : Who will win national title this year?

Phoenixalltheway
September 30th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Who will walk home with the national championship playa

Big Al
September 30th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Kid, you have a thing or three to learn about FCS football.

Native
September 30th, 2009, 07:48 AM

"Elon?!???"

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

KAUMASS
September 30th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Whoever the 3rd place team in the CAA south is at the end of the year..

Seriously, I think anybody in the top 10 right now has a legimate shot at the crown, and there is always a darkhorse running in the top 10-20 that will make a strong run. My pick right now is William & Mary. Their run defense is strong...they held Delaware to -negative 2 yards rushing..Their offense is strong enough as well.

AshevilleApp2
September 30th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Kid, you have a thing or three to learn about FCS football.

xnodx xnodx

Step 1-Make Playoffs
Step 2-Survive and Advance
Step 3-Repeat Step 2......

bigred
September 30th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Yet another great post by Alltheway. xthumbsupx

Phoenixalltheway
September 30th, 2009, 07:58 AM
yes b/c it is SO out of the question to think the teamwiht the best defense and second best offense in the nation right now could potentially win a title

TCisMYhero
September 30th, 2009, 08:03 AM
You've got to be kidding me. 2 of the top three teams left out of this one. Nice poll.

Monarch Nation
September 30th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Where is that video clip of the Mora press conference?

"Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Playoffs?"

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2009, 08:08 AM
wheres UTC???? There the sleeper team... Plus there the only team that can have home field advantage the whole tourney.

Gil Dobie
September 30th, 2009, 08:08 AM
South Dakota State will do what other MVFC teams haven't been able to do since Western Kentucky. Win the big one. xthumbsupx

phoenix3
September 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM
:o

Phoenixalltheway
September 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM
UTC is playoff ineligible

ashram
September 30th, 2009, 08:13 AM
yes b/c it is SO out of the question to think the teamwiht the best defense and second best offense in the nation right now could potentially win a title

I think Elon's got a shot of making a run in the playoffs, just like a lot of other teams. But you do realize the stats you're looking at are based on four games right now -- one of which was against Davidson.

PhoenixSupreme
September 30th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I wonder who the 1 person that voted for Elon was? Sure wasn't me... :p I'm sure it couldn't be phoenixalltheway...hmmm... :p I'm a realist, I'd like Elon to win, but probability dictates otherwise.

ElonPride
September 30th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Good lord man! You left out every team in contention!xeyebrowx

smallcollegefbfan
September 30th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Way too early to ask this. Wait and ask this in about 5-6 weeks once we have an idea on might win league titles. There have been times when a team has 2 losses at this point and becomes a favorite entering the playoffs and times when a team who is 3-0 or even 4-0 right now loses 3 games in the last 6 weeks and falls out of the field.

Plus, I would have left Elon out at this point and included Montana, James Madison, William & Mary, New Hampshire, Northern Iowa, and McNeese State.

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Way too early to ask this. Wait and ask this in about 5-6 weeks once we have an idea on might win league titles. There have been times when a team has 2 losses at this point and becomes a favorite entering the playoffs and times when a team who is 3-0 or even 4-0 right now loses 3 games in the last 6 weeks and falls out of the field.

Agreed Elon 2 years ago a favored to do well in the Playoffs missed it completely. App state this year 1-2 could and will turn that around to make the playoffs and could run the table from there. Its only week 5 anything can happen

mrklean
September 30th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Elon.........lol yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoDukes86
September 30th, 2009, 09:15 AM
C'mon guys, don't give Elon fans such a hard time. They have a great chance to win the NC this year...as long as Liberty doesn't make it to playoffs!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

89Hen
September 30th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Good lord man! You left out every team in contention!xeyebrowx
Yeah. You can do 10 choices in a poll. No Montana, UNI, Weber, McNeese, etc... xconfusedx

That's why I went other. I'll take the field over the ones listed.

mcveyrl
September 30th, 2009, 09:24 AM
wheres UTC???? There the sleeper team... Plus there the only team that can have home field advantage the whole tourney.

Ummm....

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 30th, 2009, 09:31 AM
omg.... really ?? Dude, please STFU and stop embarrassing our fine University.

longtimemocfan
September 30th, 2009, 09:37 AM
xlolx This is one of the few times I've seen "other" win by a landslide in a poll.

UNIFanSince1983
September 30th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Sort of surprising that nobody has much faith in Richmond to repeat. Actually right now more people think Elon has a better shot...

Dukie95
September 30th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Sort of surprising that nobody has much faith in Richmond to repeat. Actually right now more people think Elon has a better shot...

Richmond people are too smart to dignify this poll with a response.

Dukie95
September 30th, 2009, 09:45 AM
C'mon guys, don't give Elon fans such a hard time. They have a great chance to win the NC this year...as long as Liberty doesn't make it to playoffs!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Or Richmond

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Ummm....

Didn't u note the sarcasm

WestCoastAggie
September 30th, 2009, 09:56 AM
GO FIGHTIN' CHRISTIANS!!!

xlolx

MSU_77
September 30th, 2009, 10:04 AM
So, only an East Coast team has a shot to win the NC, eh? xrolleyesx

WestCoastAggie
September 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM

Northern Iowa... xwhistlex

Native
September 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM
omg.... really ?? Dude, please STFU and stop embarrassing our fine University.

No worries. We don't blame all of the "Fighting Christians." I actually admire the passion of young "Phoenix."

Hell, if there were no homers, who would go to the games and blog on football sites?!?

Skjellyfetti
September 30th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Georgia Southern.

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2009, 10:20 AM

They play football out west??? Where do the cattle graze and do you still make your helmets out of cow hide????

JK

WrenFGun
September 30th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Here is the correct poll:

1. FAMU
2. Elon
3. S. Carolina St.
4. Ball State

Thanks.

Back2theROCK!
September 30th, 2009, 10:26 AM

I'm not taking anything away from this year's Elon Team because I think they will make a strong run but before you start talking about best this and best that...take a look at who you played your first two weeks! I would be willing to bet that any team in this discussion of a NC would have the same rankings had they opened with Davidson and Presbyterian...xcoffeex

WestCoastAggie
September 30th, 2009, 10:27 AM

1. FAMU
2. Elon
3. S. Carolina St.
4. Ball State

Thanks.

This is so not funny! xnonox

TCisMYhero
September 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I know this poll is bogus. NDSU will win it all. Just ask their fans.

Silenoz
September 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Yeah. You can do 10 choices in a poll. No Montana, UNI, Weber, McNeese, etc... xconfusedx

My thoughts exactly xlolx

ElonPride
September 30th, 2009, 10:37 AM

It was seriously embarassing to see an Elon fan post this poll xnonono2x

elon77
September 30th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'm not taking anything away from this year's Elon Team because I think they will make a strong run but before you start talking about best this and best that...take a look at who you played your first two weeks! I would be willing to bet that any team in this discussion of a NC would have the same rankings had they opened with Davidson and Presbyterian...xcoffeex

Now just wait a minute, Davidson almost made it to the final 4 a few years ago! No, wrong sport.xlolx

runHENrun
September 30th, 2009, 10:41 AM
UNI will finally get by the CAA this year and win it all.

WrenFGun
September 30th, 2009, 10:59 AM
This is so not funny! xnonox

xbawlingx

Back2theROCK!
September 30th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Now just wait a minute, Davidson almost made it to the final 4 a few years ago! No, wrong sport.xlolx

xlolx Are you sure it wasn't their basketball team in football uniforms that you played??

GOKATS
September 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I nominate this thread for 'dumbest thread of the year'.xnodx

Native
September 30th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I nominate this thread for 'dumbest thread of the year'.xnodx

...but high entertainment value!

PhoenixSupreme
September 30th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I voted for other cuz I think Indiana St will dominate the rest of the way :p

PhoenixSupreme
September 30th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I bet you the 4 teams on the poll are the only 4 "good" teams that Phoenixalltheway knows xrotatehxxlolxxrotatehx

WestCoastAggie
September 30th, 2009, 11:26 AM
xbawlingxxlolx

CDT_Wilson
September 30th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I voted for other cuz I think Indiana St will dominate the rest of the way :p

I think they would beat Elon on a neutral field.xsmiley_wix

CDT_Wilson
September 30th, 2009, 11:30 AM

After they institute the "no flea flicker in the playoffs" rule, UNI will breeze through.... Stupid flea flicker!xnonono2x

crusader11
September 30th, 2009, 11:31 AM
The guy (or girl for that matter) who conducted this poll is probably a little freshman at Elon this year and has gotten so excited that his team is off to a nice start and is mesmerized by the impressive throws by Riddle and catches by Hudgins.

In his mind, Elon is the number 1 team in the nation and the CAA is vastly overrated. Let's leave him be and not crush his little dreams.

PhoenixSupreme
September 30th, 2009, 11:38 AM
The guy (or girl for that matter) who conducted this poll is probably a little freshman at Elon this year and has gotten so excited that his team is off to a nice start and is mesmerized by the impressive throws by Riddle and catches by Hudgins.

In his mind, Elon is the number 1 team in the nation and the CAA is vastly overrated. Let's leave him be and not crush his little dreams.

Actually in another thread he created (of many) he said he was a sophomore. When I was a sophomore there. We started 3-1, then lost the rest of the games (Hamilton team btw). At least I knew from my freshman year to not get my hopes up.

McNeese72
September 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM

I'd like to point out two things:

One, it is very early in the season.

Two, stats are a function of who you have played. If you have played some really bad teams early, it will bias your stats and make you look better than you might be.

If you have the best defense and second best offense in the nation after 11 games, it might be more meaningful. But still the stats will still be a function of who you have played.

I used to get caught up in the stats like that comparing teams. But now I realize the only meaningful stat is the one with W's and the L's.

Doc

mcveyrl
September 30th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Didn't u note the sarcasm

xoopsxxoopsx

Must not've. My b.

MasonJar
September 30th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Well, not really the ONLY team... the Apps have done a pretty good job of generating home-field advantage in Chatty 3 of the last 4 years...xeyebrowx

ASU_MBA
September 30th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Another quality post from an Elon fan....bravo bravo Elon
you only left out about 7 or 8 good teams from your poll....and wait until Elon actually plays someone before you put the oil on the forehead....
again I say Bravo..

ASUG8
September 30th, 2009, 03:55 PM
This thread.....

PantherRob82
September 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM

best offense and defense against who? Presbyterian? xlolx

Gil Dobie
September 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. xcoffeex

Gil Dobie
September 30th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I know this poll is bogus. NDSU will win it all. Just ask their fans.

Ask me xwhistlex

I'll still say South Dakota St

BDKJMU
September 30th, 2009, 04:20 PM
How about a ban on new posters starting idiotic polls?xrolleyesx

mtgrizfan4life
September 30th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Did you just put 10 teams in a hat or on a dart board? This is the best you could come up with? I guess program history and consistency mean nothing for this poll.

It would be interesting to a poll like this for the BCS. I suppose the choices would be something like Idaho, Memphis, Wyoming, Florida (to have a recent so called champ listed), San Jose State, and other.

Then again this poll is closer to the BCS ratings than we would like to commit. It is useless and makes no sense. Would this poll at least let the teams win the Championship on the field?

seahawkfan2007
September 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
At this point W&M and UNI look pretty good.

ngineer
September 30th, 2009, 06:43 PM

Based on eating two big cupcakes before the regular meal began??xconfusedx

ekufbfan
September 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Good grief Louise WHO among us who have studied the game of football for a long time and WHO have been a part of winning traditions would declare their team as national champs 4 weeks into the season? I don't pretend to know IF Elon has a chance in h*** winning it all. I do know there are a few teams who are undefeated and even more who have only one loss. Bragging rights among their peers? Maybe. :) Enough to declare a National Championship pretty much in your pocket? No way.
A hint to Elon fans: In the words of former EKU and college football hall of fame, Coach Roy Kidd: "When you win, act like you have been there before!"xnodx
GO EKU!!!

UNIFanSince1983
September 30th, 2009, 07:33 PM
"Who will win national title this year?"

I hope for your own sake english isn't your first language.

Reign of Terrier
September 30th, 2009, 07:52 PM
there are a lot of homers on this board:p

proasu89
September 30th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Good grief Louise WHO among us who have studied the game of football for a long time and WHO have been a part of winning traditions would declare their team as national champs 4 weeks into the season? I don't pretend to know IF Elon has a chance in h*** winning it all. I do know there are a few teams who are undefeated and even more who have only one loss. Bragging rights among their peers? Maybe. :) Enough to declare a National Championship pretty much in your pocket? No way.
A hint to Elon fans: In the words of former EKU and college football hall of fame, Coach Roy Kidd: "When you win, act like you have been there before!"xnodx
GO EKU!!!

Methinks you're taking Phallusalltheway way to seriousxeyebrowx

theasushow
September 30th, 2009, 08:11 PM
________ will win the Super Bowl

Panthers
Bills
Lions
Dolphins
Other

james_lawfirm
September 30th, 2009, 08:11 PM

Not sure how you can say Elon has the best defense & 2nd best offense in the nation, and still keep a straight face.

You'uns got squashed by a mediocre Wake Forest team. Other than that, you have not played the toughest teams; PC? GaSo? St. Mary's School for Beanheads???

And, actually, statistically speaking, I guess about 94 other FCS teams could "potentially win a title". I would not want to count Elon out yet, BUT, there's a lot of football to be played. How about canceling this thread until about mid-November? Then, we'll talk.

GATA
September 30th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Why on Earth is Elon in the poll?

StrikeJMU
September 30th, 2009, 09:04 PM
How about a ban on new posters starting idiotic polls?xrolleyesx

can older posters still start idiotic polls? :D

Skjellyfetti
September 30th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Why on Earth is Elon in the poll?

2009 Elon is probably the greatest FCS team in the past 15 years. Did you see how many points they put up on Davidson and Presby!?! xeekx

Mid-Atlantic
September 30th, 2009, 09:12 PM
i voted for Elon, lol

wideright82
September 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM
can older posters still start idiotic polls? :D

That's actually my unofficial job xlolxxlolx

AlphaSigMD
September 30th, 2009, 09:30 PM
i voted for Elon, lol

I have a sneaking suspicion I know who this is.

I think that creating new members as straw men to justify a laughable poll attempt is a violation of TOS.

If it's not meant be ASU this year (and unless our team can turn it around, it likely isn't) I'm gonna throw my vote towards UNI. They're a class act, and seem to have a hell of a team this year.

StonewallSpider
September 30th, 2009, 10:08 PM
UNI has the best chance, and they deserve it this year too

p.s. i gave a pbr to shawn white at baja tonight

PhoenixMan
September 30th, 2009, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=GATA;1422218]Why on Earth is Elon in the poll?[/QUOTE
I thought you would have know that after your team didn't get a first down the entire first half last week.xlolx As for Elon and a championship.....let's take it a week at a time, and hope to get in the playoffs this time around. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen.

EPJr
September 30th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Step 1-Make Playoffs
Step 2-Survive and Advance
Step 3-Repeat Step 2......
Step 4-pencil in a CAA team xrolleyesx

molly
September 30th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Step 1: Start poll
Step 2: ?????????
Step 3: Win championship

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 30th, 2009, 10:17 PM

p.s. i gave a pbr to shawn white at baja tonight

Stonewall, give him one for me next time... xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
September 30th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I say again, this sight is full of homers (look at how many voted for "other")

GATA
September 30th, 2009, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=GATA;1422218]Why on Earth is Elon in the poll?[/QUOTE
I thought you would have know that after your team didn't get a first down the entire first half last week.xlolx As for Elon and a championship.....let's take it a week at a time, and hope to get in the playoffs this time around. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen.

Hey...we had 1 first down in the first half. xthumbsupx Don't sell us short.

But I already knew GSU was garbage (I actually predicted a 44-3 loss in the SOCON prediction thread)...we're not even gonna sniff the playoffs. Somehow you guys let us hand around and played like absolute trash in the second half. I'm pretty sure anybody else in the SOCON would have beaten you with a performance like that.

I can't say I'm terribly convinced of Elon's national title chances.

PhoenixMan
September 30th, 2009, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=PhoenixMan;1422269]

Hey...we had 1 first down in the first half. xthumbsupx Don't sell us short.

But I already knew GSU was garbage (I actually predicted a 44-3 loss in the SOCON prediction thread)...we're not even gonna sniff the playoffs. Somehow you guys let us hand around and played like absolute trash in the second half. I'm pretty sure anybody else in the SOCON would have beaten you with a performance like that.

I can't say I'm terribly convinced of Elon's national title chances.

I was just jabbing you a little. We did not play well against GSU (turnovers were a problem) but still managed a 14 point win. We'll take it. The dude that started this poll...I don't know about him. We have a good team, but National Championship? Can't see that happening.

soccerguy315
September 30th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I say again, this sight is full of homers (look at how many voted for "other")

you wouldn't take the field in this poll? You think you have a better chance at being right if you pick one of those teams?

Richmond
-or-
UNI, James Madison, William and Mary, Montana, New Hampshire etc

Villanova
-or-

App State
-or-

which one did you choose?

Screamin_Eagle174
October 1st, 2009, 02:11 AM
The team that wins 4 games in the playoffs. Which won't be App State or Montana. xcoffeex

KiddBrewer
October 1st, 2009, 02:20 AM
________ will win the Super Bowl

Panthers
Bills
Lions
Dolphins
Other

yea but he didnt list 4 terribly ****ty teams...

JMU Newbill
October 1st, 2009, 05:43 AM
yea but he didnt list 4 terribly ****ty teams...

As a Bills fan..... ok yea you are right. xwhistlex

Mikeyosef
October 1st, 2009, 08:33 AM
Since there's no money on it I voted for App State but it's ridiculous to list any 4 or 5 teams now for the NC. After I saw App win in Michigan, a stunned MU fan turned to me as if looking for some sense of reassurance saying; "you guys are going to win the National Championship again, right?" To which I replied; first, we have to make it through a tough regular season and then....then if we're lucky there's the playoffs. I said, you know playoffs; anything can happen! He looked a bit baffled, then I remembered; they don't have playoffs. It was as if I was speaking in a foreign tongue. Nice guy though.

Native
October 1st, 2009, 08:36 AM

1. FAMU
2. Elon
3. S. Carolina St.
4. Ball State
5. Dayton
6. Harvard
Thanks.

FIFY. xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Pant8her
October 1st, 2009, 08:38 AM

UNI does not deserve it, like all other teams in FCS they MUST earn the National Championship. Otherwise we are like the other subdivision BCS (aka Bowl Consolation Sub-par-gamesxlolx)

CrackerRiley
October 1st, 2009, 10:47 AM
Amusing poll but I still went with my homer pick, of course. xsmiley_wixxthumbsupx

JMU Newbill
October 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM
I think this poll is stupid, so I will try to rephrase the question but in a way that may make a little more sense and could be answered in a more realistic context.

Does anyone expect anything more this year from JMU than they did in their 2004 national championship run?

DG Cowboy
October 1st, 2009, 11:22 AM
It will be a team with an FBS loss that Big Mo joins late in the season.

Zeus69
October 1st, 2009, 11:25 AM
I will put in a vote for JMU after watching them play the Flames I think they are a really solid football team. Their offensive line looked very good and their defensive line was causing havoc in the backfield all night long. Best of wishes to them on the rest of their season.

ASU_Fanatic
October 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
App State has it in the bag.

elon77
October 2nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
App State has it in the bag.

I vote for Taylor Swift, oh crap wrong entertainment. What a great name for a wide receiver, Taylor Swift.

whoanellie
October 2nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
I vote for Taylor Swift, oh crap wrong entertainment. What a great name for a wide receiver, Taylor Swift. glad you did not go Kanaye West and bust one in for Beyonce' ..... now who would do that?

Rekdiver
October 2nd, 2009, 07:59 AM
Odds favor a CAA team. I have been very impressed with the league play this year. I don't see the fire in the belly of the beast at ASU this year (at least at this point) SoCon is way down this year.

The playoffs will offer some of the best football we've ever seen in 1-AA/FCS.

grizfan88
October 3rd, 2009, 04:45 PM

That second best offense is tearing it up today xthumbsupx

PhoenixMan
October 3rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
xnodx
That second best offense is tearing it up today xthumbsupx

They tore it up enough for a W on the road. We'll take it!xnodx

LacesOut
October 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
'Nova, baby!!!!!!!!!

MSUBear42
October 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM

UNI.

Grizaholic17
October 3rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
I am truly hoping for a Montana/App St. NC game...or Montana/UNI.....or UNI/App St.....

Appy needs to get their act together though

unigriff
October 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
We'd love to play Montana...but we want our revenge on Richmond or App State first.

proasu89
October 3rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
We'd love to play Montana...but we want our revenge on Richmond or App State first.

Dadgum, that's ancient history. Ya'll sure hold a grudgexsmiley_wix

ASUG8
October 3rd, 2009, 09:19 PM
I am truly hoping for a Montana/App St. NC game...or Montana/UNI.....or UNI/App St.....

Appy needs to get their act together though

Appreciate your enthusiasm, but ASU has a long way to go to even think about playoff and/or NC.xoopsx