PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Goal Posts

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 12:29 PM
The athletic director at ASU has said the cost for replacing the pair of torn down goal posts is approximately $12,000.
They were replaced with spares on Monday. New ones will need to be obtained for the new back-ups. :deadhorse
That's 12K not 1,200 BTW and dollars not pesos. :nod:

JCline

ChiefGSU275
December 14th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Werent they the collapsible kind? How did the students tear them down?

Good thing Appy is raising all that money, to help cover their *intelligent* students.

GGASU
December 14th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Werent they the collapsible kind? How did the students tear them down?

Good thing Appy is raising all that money, to help cover their *intelligent* students.

The hinges had rusted shut. They are going to cut the goalposts up and sell the pieces as souvineers, no worries on the money.

I remember Jerry Moore being quoted after the Marshall game as saying how great it was to see the students tear the goalposts down, and that he hoped it happened more often.

colgate13
December 14th, 2005, 12:47 PM
The football office needs to get a hold of them, cut them into 8 inch or so pieces and sell them mounted with a description for $100-$150 each. Nice fundraiser...

ChiefGSU275
December 14th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Wow..you would think for over 10k you could at least provide some WD-40 for your maintenance crew.

goasu984Life
December 14th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I've got a piece of the goalposts from the App State/Marshall game in 1994, when Marshall was No. 1 in the country. What a great night to be an ASU football fan (and GAWD, am I old?!?!?!)

grizband
December 14th, 2005, 12:51 PM
The football office needs to get a hold of them, cut them into 8 inch or so pieces and sell them mounted with a description for $100-$150 each. Nice fundraiser...
I have seen a couple of these around town from when UM won the title in 2001. They look pretty cool, in glass cases with little plaques indicating the occasion.

LacesOut
December 14th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Goalposts smoalposts!

I would have ripped up part of that field turf as a souvenier (sp?) or swiped a players helmet!

TigerFan17
December 14th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Someone should have grabbed and caged Williams as a souvenier. He was injured so it couldn't have been that hard.

DinoDex200
December 14th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Someone should have grabbed and caged Williams as a souvenier. He was injured so it couldn't have been that hard.

xlolx xlolx

Just wait until Friday, my friend. (Sinister laugh)

Doug: I got one. I should want to say hi to Mr. Belvedere nicely, I shouldn't want to keep him in a big jar in my basement.

Mr. Chairman: Alright, Doug, that's great, we understand that now. Go on, though. Why shouldn't you put him in a big jar in your basement?

Doug: Because.. his breath would fog up the glass, and I wouldn't be able to see him..?

ButlerGSU
December 14th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I can't remember the last time the goalposts fell at Paulson. I mean we ran on the field after beating #1 Furman this season but I don't believe the students even considered taking the post down for a regular season game.

That is a great way to raise money though, no doubt alumni would pay to have a slice of the goalpost after such a big win.

gsuwinsudont
December 14th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I can't remember the last time the goalposts fell at Paulson. I mean we ran on the field after beating #1 Furman this season but I don't believe the students even considered taking the post down for a regular season game.

That is a great way to raise money though, no doubt alumni would pay to have a slice of the goalpost after such a big win.

Its been a minute but it was 1999 in the semi's against Illinois State. The game ended with 15 seconds left for some reason i cant remember.... :smiley_wi

yosefcity
December 14th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Ive seen people jack pilons, helmets of the opponent, game balls, radios, its pretty psyco.

ASUMountaineer
December 14th, 2005, 04:28 PM
The hinges had rusted shut. They are going to cut the goalposts up and sell the pieces as souvineers, no worries on the money.

I remember Jerry Moore being quoted after the Marshall game as saying how great it was to see the students tear the goalposts down, and that he hoped it happened more often.
Where did you hear they are going to cut the goal posts up and sell them? And, where and when will they be available? Any help? I was there and rushed the field and would love to have a piece of the posts.

GGASU
December 14th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Where did you hear they are going to cut the goal posts up and sell them? And, where and when will they be available? Any help? I was there and rushed the field and would love to have a piece of the posts.

I finally found the link, I knew that I had read it somewhere...all these articles, radio shows, and message boards are starting an ASU overload.

Link is not working here is the article out of the winston salem journal

• ?It has been a whirlwind two days for Appalachian State, preparing for the NCAA Division I-AA championship game on Friday.

The Mountaineers left Boone yesterday after a practice session and round of final exams for about 20 players.

"It's been hectic, but the professors and the players and everybody have worked together trying to make it work as smoothly as possible," said Coach Jerry Moore of the Mountaineers, adding that a few players will take finals in Chattanooga.

Tight end Daniel Bettis said: "This is something we've never been through before. We're kind of feeling our way through the week, but trying to approach this the best we can like any other game."

The Mountaineers practiced on a snow-covered field Monday night. Such is football in December in Boone.

"We didn't miss a beat, though," Moore said. "The players worked right through it like it was a 70-degree day."

• ?Video replay will be in place for the I-AA title game between Appalachian and Northern Iowa, in case there are any close calls such as one late in Saturday's semifinal game when Jason Hunter of Appalachian blindsided quarterback Ingle Martin of Furman.

Hunter jarred the ball loose and the Mountaineers recovered, essentially ending the game, despite protests from Martin and Coach Bobby Lamb of Furman that the play should have been ruled an incomplete pass rather than a fumble.

Don Lucas, the coordinator of football officials for the Southern Conference, said that the SoCon crew made the proper call.

Had the play been ruled an incomplete pass, the Paladins, trailing 29-23, would have had the ball second and 10 at the Appalachian 36-yard line with about 25 seconds left.

Lucas said that issues of cost and practicality probably preclude the use of replay at all I-AA games. Without television coverage, cameras and equipment are needed as well as extra officials and staff.

• ?Most of the pieces of goalposts that were torn down and carted off by celebrating Appalachian students and fans after the semifinal victory over Furman have been recovered, according to Charlie Cobb, Appalachian's athletics director.

Plans are to sell the pieces as souvenirs. Cobb said that the cost to replace the goalposts is about $12,000.

• ?Brandon Turner, a utility player, has played a key role for Appalachian down the stretch of his senior season. Turner - whose importance has been heightened with injuries to receivers Jermane Little and Hans Batichon and running back Trey Hennessee - has caught eight passes, ran the ball five times and returned two kickoffs the last two games.

He nearly didn't play this season, having been dismissed from the team by Moore, who cited issues related to offseason work in the weight room.

Turner said that he said some things he shouldn't have.

"I didn't chose my words wisely, and it didn't go over too well," Turner said.

Moore said that Turner approached him several times asking for a second chance, and that he finally granted it.

"He's been a guy that's made a difference," Moore said. "I'm glad he wanted to come back. I'm glad he was persistent about coming back."

Turner said he's glad for the second chance.

"It's something I have cherished," Turner said. "I think I've always been a team player, but I've learned how to win and get the team behind me and I know that I need to work hard.

"I've been getting to do a lot of things - carrying the ball, running those routes across the middle and blocking. I'm glad to do anything I can to help this team win."

50 hours and counting to kickoff

ASUMountaineer
December 14th, 2005, 05:23 PM
I finally found the link, I knew that I had read it somewhere...all these articles, radio shows, and message boards are starting an ASU overload.

Link is not working here is the article out of the winston salem journal

• ?It has been a whirlwind two days for Appalachian State, preparing for the NCAA Division I-AA championship game on Friday.

The Mountaineers left Boone yesterday after a practice session and round of final exams for about 20 players.

"It's been hectic, but the professors and the players and everybody have worked together trying to make it work as smoothly as possible," said Coach Jerry Moore of the Mountaineers, adding that a few players will take finals in Chattanooga.

Tight end Daniel Bettis said: "This is something we've never been through before. We're kind of feeling our way through the week, but trying to approach this the best we can like any other game."

The Mountaineers practiced on a snow-covered field Monday night. Such is football in December in Boone.

"We didn't miss a beat, though," Moore said. "The players worked right through it like it was a 70-degree day."

• ?Video replay will be in place for the I-AA title game between Appalachian and Northern Iowa, in case there are any close calls such as one late in Saturday's semifinal game when Jason Hunter of Appalachian blindsided quarterback Ingle Martin of Furman.

Hunter jarred the ball loose and the Mountaineers recovered, essentially ending the game, despite protests from Martin and Coach Bobby Lamb of Furman that the play should have been ruled an incomplete pass rather than a fumble.

Don Lucas, the coordinator of football officials for the Southern Conference, said that the SoCon crew made the proper call.

Had the play been ruled an incomplete pass, the Paladins, trailing 29-23, would have had the ball second and 10 at the Appalachian 36-yard line with about 25 seconds left.

Lucas said that issues of cost and practicality probably preclude the use of replay at all I-AA games. Without television coverage, cameras and equipment are needed as well as extra officials and staff.

• ?Most of the pieces of goalposts that were torn down and carted off by celebrating Appalachian students and fans after the semifinal victory over Furman have been recovered, according to Charlie Cobb, Appalachian's athletics director.

Plans are to sell the pieces as souvenirs. Cobb said that the cost to replace the goalposts is about $12,000.

• ?Brandon Turner, a utility player, has played a key role for Appalachian down the stretch of his senior season. Turner - whose importance has been heightened with injuries to receivers Jermane Little and Hans Batichon and running back Trey Hennessee - has caught eight passes, ran the ball five times and returned two kickoffs the last two games.

He nearly didn't play this season, having been dismissed from the team by Moore, who cited issues related to offseason work in the weight room.

Turner said that he said some things he shouldn't have.

"I didn't chose my words wisely, and it didn't go over too well," Turner said.

Moore said that Turner approached him several times asking for a second chance, and that he finally granted it.

"He's been a guy that's made a difference," Moore said. "I'm glad he wanted to come back. I'm glad he was persistent about coming back."

Turner said he's glad for the second chance.

"It's something I have cherished," Turner said. "I think I've always been a team player, but I've learned how to win and get the team behind me and I know that I need to work hard.

"I've been getting to do a lot of things - carrying the ball, running those routes across the middle and blocking. I'm glad to do anything I can to help this team win."

50 hours and counting to kickoff
Thanks for posting that article. Awesome way to remember the game, besides being on tv! :) Counting down the minutes-->3000!

rOryOs-ASU
December 14th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Goalposts smoalposts!

I would have ripped up part of that field turf as a souvenier (sp?) !

Thats what i went for at LSU! and its going in the display case with my Billy Cannon Heisman football!!

AppAlum96
December 14th, 2005, 05:47 PM
I've got a piece of the goalposts from the App State/Marshall game in 1994, when Marshall was No. 1 in the country. What a great night to be an ASU football fan (and GAWD, am I old?!?!?!)

I was there that night!! What a night...

AppAlum96
December 14th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Goalposts smoalposts!

I would have ripped up part of that field turf as a souvenier (sp?) or swiped a players helmet!

When they replaced the turf at ASU in the late 90's, a girl I was dating got some of the old turf and made a purse out of it. It was awesome.

Go...gate
December 14th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Good on ASU for having its players still taking finals; shows the school has its priorities straight.

ASU Kep
December 14th, 2005, 07:38 PM
The athletic director at ASU has said the cost for replacing the pair of torn down goal posts is approximately $12,000.
They were replaced with spares on Monday. New ones will need to be obtained for the new back-ups. :deadhorse
That's 12K not 1,200 BTW and dollars not pesos. :nod:

JCline

“I thought that was awesome, what those students did in the end,” Mountaineers coach Jerry Moore said. “I’ll probably get reprimanded for that, but you know, that’s part of college football. That’s the neat thing about it. That’s one of the reasons you do this. You can’t take the fun out of it and I thought it was awesome, those students came out like they did.”

Get a f'ing life man, and you STILL talking about this? Why don't you send Jerry an angry email for supporting us? Or more preferably, just STFU. This is my last post concerning this stupid ass s--t, I'm going to actually look forward to Friday, and HAVING FUN at the game.

Appstate03
December 14th, 2005, 07:43 PM
“I thought that was awesome, what those students did in the end,” Mountaineers coach Jerry Moore said. “I’ll probably get reprimanded for that, but you know, that’s part of college football. That’s the neat thing about it. That’s one of the reasons you do this. You can’t take the fun out of it and I thought it was awesome, those students came out like they did.”

Get a f'ing life man, and you STILL talking about this? Why don't you send Jerry an angry email for supporting us? Or more preferably, just STFU. This is my last post concerning this stupid ass s--t, I'm going to actually look forward to Friday, and HAVING FUN at the game.

AMEN!!!!

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=ASU Kep

Get a f'ing life man, and you STILL talking about this? Why don't you send Jerry an angry email for supporting us? Or more preferably, just STFU. This is my last post concerning this stupid ass s--t, I'm going to actually look forward to Friday, and HAVING FUN at the game.[/QUOTE]
Why don't you just kiss my xazzx
You're probably one of the f'n drunks who made us look so good ramming the GSU bus and the FOX van as well as pissing in the woods.
Class.

Let's have some fun whipping UNI's azz on the field and not making us look like a bunch of drunken idiot hick fans in front of the millions on TV.

ngineer
December 14th, 2005, 10:24 PM

When goal posts were simply wooden boards that was one thing. But how soon we forget about those students who are quadriplegic and dead from getting hit on the head by these large steel poles. I see no need to encourage such hazardous behavior (the money is a minor point). Why can't people celebrate without resorting to violent behavior? :confused:

ASU Kep
December 14th, 2005, 10:44 PM
"Violent behavior"? You'd fit in well among the Boone police.

...ASU knows hows to tear down some goalposts. Did you SEE how fast those suckers came down? I'd say 30 seconds following the end of regulation. We're pros, and we know how to do it safely. Read my last post and how "shocked" Coach Moore was. Perhaps it's a generational-gap sorta thing, but tearing down goalposts is not a lack of sportsmanship nor a destruction of property, it IS sportsmanship, it's what you do after HUGE games. I for one have no problem calling last weekend a "HUGE" game. It was.

...and yes, I was there in 2003 for GSU. Yes, I helped carry the posts out of the stadium. Nobody meant to hit the GSU bus, though admittedly, some thought it was pretty damn funny when we did. :D. They sure made us pay next year. :(

...and no, I don't piss in the woods around the stadium. Frankly, I think the whole story was made up to begin with. I've never seen anybody do that. THAT is uncalled for, there are kids around. Party foul. At least we have one point of agreement.

ASUMountaineer
December 14th, 2005, 10:52 PM
"Violent behavior"? You'd fit in well among the Boone police.

...ASU knows hows to tear down some goalposts. Did you SEE how fast those suckers came down? I'd say 30 seconds following the end of regulation. We're pros, and we know how to do it safely. Read my last post and how "shocked" Coach Moore was. Perhaps it's a generational-gap sorta thing, but tearing down goalposts is not a lack of sportsmanship nor a destruction of property, it IS sportsmanship, it's what you do after HUGE games. I for one have no problem calling last weekend a "HUGE" game. It was.

...and yes, I was there in 2003 for GSU. Yes, I helped carry the posts out of the stadium. Nobody meant to hit the GSU bus, though admittedly, some thought it was pretty damn funny when we did. :D. They sure made us pay next year. :(

...and no, I don't piss in the woods around the stadium. Frankly, I think the whole story was made up to begin with. I've never seen anybody do that. THAT is uncalled for, there are kids around. Party foul. At least we have one point of agreement.
Tearing down the posts is just a celebration ritual, but for the fans. Somewhat similar to dumping gatorade on the coach after a big win (although not as destructive or costly). I was there in 1999 when we knocked off GSU (then #1 in the country), in 2002 when we beat Furman in the "Miracle on the Mountain", in 2003 when we beat GSU (and the bus incident), and lastly this year. Everytime has been amazing, and never was done for the purpose of violence. Is it becoming a mundane act? Probably, but I'm guessing you haven't done it, or been at a game so great where it's appropriate. However, considering the significance of last Saturday's game, rushing the field and taking down the posts was appropriate behavior. And, kudos to Coach Moore recognizing the jubilation of Appalachian fans that resulted in the downed goalposts.

Go Appalachian! and I hope you get the chance to rush the field one day, it's a great experience.

ASUMountaineer
December 14th, 2005, 10:54 PM

When goal posts were simply wooden boards that was one thing. But how soon we forget about those students who are quadriplegic and dead from getting hit on the head by these large steel poles. I see no need to encourage such hazardous behavior (the money is a minor point). Why can't people celebrate without resorting to violent behavior? :confused:
Tearing down the posts is just a celebration ritual, but for the fans. Somewhat similar to dumping gatorade on the coach after a big win (although not as destructive or costly). I was there in 1999 when we knocked off GSU (then #1 in the country), in 2002 when we beat Furman in the "Miracle on the Mountain", in 2003 when we beat GSU (and the bus incident), and lastly this year. Everytime has been amazing, and never was done for the purpose of violence. Is it becoming a mundane act? Probably, but I'm guessing you haven't done it, or been at a game so great where it's appropriate. However, considering the significance of last Saturday's game, rushing the field and taking down the posts was appropriate behavior. And, kudos to Coach Moore for recognizing the jubilation of the Appalachian fans that resulted in the downed goalposts.

Go Appalachian! and I hope you get the chance to rush the field one day, it's a great experience.

AppStateSVX
December 14th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I think rushing the field was pretty damn fun. The Goalposts are supposed to be breakaway to help prevent having to replace them so much, maybe we should tear them down more often so that they don't get rusty? Honestly, I have talked to people who got hit by the goalpost, and none of them have harsh feelings about it, most of them consider it a "battle wound" and realize that there is danger rushing the field in the first place, so it's a risk theyre willing to take

Purple Knight
December 14th, 2005, 11:36 PM
How would you feel about the opponents tearing down the goalpost if they win? Give the cops a break. They been there working ASU ballgames longer than you have known there was an App State. At such a momentous game, why not let them have a little fun with their dog and taisers?

ASU Kep
December 15th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Personally, I'd feel honored. It's not like we tear em down for Elon...it's a sign of respect.

richiewilliams7
December 15th, 2005, 12:21 AM
How would you feel about the opponents tearing down the goalpost if they win? Give the cops a break. They been there working ASU ballgames longer than you have known there was an App State. At such a momentous game, why not let them have a little fun with their dog and taisers?

One, if an opposing team came in to The Rock and torn down our goalposts after they won (lets just pretend like that could happen for the moment).....the majority of appalachian student body, myself included, would probably be arrested for assault..........two, most of the ASU police department is under 30 years old....i believe we all knew there was an app state before they were working the games.

If you are asking how app fans would feel about the goalposts being torn down after our opponent won, at the opponents home field.....id have to say that it wouldnt affect us at all because we all know wed do the same. I think we would be more pissed about losing. I also see it as respect in a way for the losing team. App wouldnt tear down the goalposts if we barely pulled out a victory against Lenior Rhyne or Mars Hill. It shows how tough a team like Furman or GSU is to beat.

KiddBrewer
December 15th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Knight

One, if an opposing team came in to The Rock and torn down our goalposts after they won (lets just pretend like that could happen for the moment).....the majority of appalachian student body, myself included, would probably be arrested for assault..........two, most of the ASU police department is under 30 years old....i believe we all knew there was an app state before they were working the games.

If you are asking how app fans would feel about the goalposts being torn down after our opponent won, at the opponents home field.....id have to say that it wouldnt affect us at all because we all know wed do the same. I think we would be more pissed about losing. I also see it as respect in a way for the losing team. App wouldnt tear down the goalposts if we barely pulled out a victory against Lenior Rhyne or Mars Hill. It shows how tough a team like Furman or GSU is to beat.

ASU Kep
December 15th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Oops, yah, I think I mis-read Purple Knight's post. If Furman fans had tried to take the posts down after a win last weekend, there would have been trouble. A lot of trouble.

Apps32
December 15th, 2005, 01:28 AM

Yeah, I've been meaning to ask you guys if it's OK that our kids ripped down the goalposts this time. For six years you all have been giving us this "regular season game" crap, I'm just curious if, since it was a postseason game, if it's ok. :nod:

AppAlum96
December 15th, 2005, 03:18 AM
I'm sure there are others, but the only incident I'm aware of of a visiting team's fans tearing down goalposts was in Raleigh a few years back when ECU beat NC State. Anybody know any others? NC State dropped ECU from their schedule for several years as a result. This was back when NC State was ranked and was a "goalpost worthy" opponent for a team like ECU.

ASU Kep
December 15th, 2005, 03:38 AM
If we beat NC State, it'd be a "goalpost-worthy" achievement, that'd be funny as hell if we did it to em, too. When do we play them next year?

yosef2002
December 15th, 2005, 07:42 AM
If we beat NC State, it'd be a "goalpost-worthy" achievement, that'd be funny as hell if we did it to em, too. When do we play them next year?

I have been wondering the same thing - I have not seen it in writing anywhere that we are officially playing NC State. Does anyone have a link to the press release announcing the game? I heard it was a two year deal for 06 & 07...

Golden Eagle
December 15th, 2005, 09:04 AM
I'm sure there are others, but the only incident I'm aware of of a visiting team's fans tearing down goalposts was in Raleigh a few years back when ECU beat NC State. Anybody know any others? NC State dropped ECU from their schedule for several years as a result. This was back when NC State was ranked and was a "goalpost worthy" opponent for a team like ECU.

On November 8, 1958, the UT-Chattanooga Moccasins went to Knoxville to play the Tennessee Vols. They came out victorious, 14-6. The contingent of UTC fans who had made the journey were so elated at the upset victory that they stormed Shields-Watkins Field and tore down the north goalpost. This understandably angered the Big Orange fans, and it sparked a riot which lasted for hours and had to be broken up by the police with firehoses, dogs, and tear gas. Nine were injured and ten were arrested.

eaglesrthe1
December 15th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Seems to me that the ASU admin gave the goalposts up. I wouldn't buy it for a minute that the hinges had rusted to the point that they were inoperable. They had worked just fine the week before. Seems to me that their would have been some sort of anticipation that if ASU won, the goalposts might be a target. You would think that they would have at least checked them to see if they were greased, if the admin had really wanted them to work.

Just find out if the "pole greaser" for the grounds crew has been fired. :D

If you win tomorrow, take them down again. :hyped:

SoCon48
December 15th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Seems to me that the ASU admin gave the goalposts up. I wouldn't buy it for a minute that the hinges had rusted to the point that they were inoperable. They had worked just fine the week before. Seems to me that their would have been some sort of anticipation that if ASU won, the goalposts might be a target. You would think that they would have at least checked them to see if they were greased, if the admin had really wanted them to work.

Just find out if the "pole greaser" for the grounds crew has been fired. :D

If you win tomorrow, take them down again. :hyped:
Only thing is the goalposts at Chatt don't belong to us. The end zone might. :hurray:

DinoDex200
December 15th, 2005, 10:09 AM
The only time I remember App getting "goal posted" was against WCU in '98. It was my first year at App, and it was the first time in 15 tries that the Can'tAmounts beat us for the Jug.

They rode Brad Hooooover to victory that day, and as much as I hated to lose (especially sine we would have earned the #2 ranking in the country with a win), deep down inside, I felt an odd happiness for Western that they were able to experience that kind of joy because I knew it wouldn't be often for them. :)

Only thing is the goalposts at Chatt don't belong to us. The end zone might. :hurray:

Just ask GSU fans...it can get pretty ugly in Chatt if you try and take their posts. I remember seeing pictures in the AJC back in '99 of local police pepper-spraying the throngs of post-hungry Eagle fans. Not pretty...but I guess pictures of GSU fans never are. :D

Appstate03
December 15th, 2005, 10:57 AM

It was actually ECU vs Miami not vs NC State. The game was played at NC State's stadium because the hurricane that came through and flooded Greenville. Miami was ranked in the top ten at the time and so it was worthy of tearing down the goalposts.

Griswold
December 15th, 2005, 11:51 AM
It was actually ECU vs Miami not vs NC State. The game was played at NC State's stadium because the hurricane that came through and flooded Greenville. Miami was ranked in the top ten at the time and so it was worthy of tearing down the goalposts.

You're right about the ECU/Miami game but what I think AppAlum96 is talking about is ECU/NCST played every year from the early '70s till 1987 when NCST stop playing ECU because of what happend that year (I don't know the full story). The rivalry had gotten ugly between the players and the fans. Then there was a big deal about it because they ended up playing each other in the 1992 Peach Bowl.

ngineer
December 15th, 2005, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=ngineer]
Tearing down the posts is just a celebration ritual, but for the fans. Somewhat similar to dumping gatorade on the coach after a big win (although not as destructive or costly). I was there in 1999 when we knocked off GSU (then #1 in the country), in 2002 when we beat Furman in the "Miracle on the Mountain", in 2003 when we beat GSU (and the bus incident), and lastly this year. Everytime has been amazing, and never was done for the purpose of violence. Is it becoming a mundane act? Probably, but I'm guessing you haven't done it, or been at a game so great where it's appropriate. However, considering the significance of last Saturday's game, rushing the field and taking down the posts was appropriate behavior. And, kudos to Coach Moore for recognizing the jubilation of the Appalachian fans that resulted in the downed goalposts.

Actually, I've seen many posts taken down. It used to be tradition at the Lehigh/Lafayette game when both freshmen classes would fight for them. Back then they were made of strong wood. Came down easily, and were cut up for souvenirs. Some actually came down during a few games that were out of hand (1975 at halftime for one), and as a freshman in 1970 I was on the field fighting for that piece of wood. Several times mini-riots broke out between students and police trying to protect the posts.

But, now we have heavy steel uprights. People have been rendered paralyzed for life and a couple killed because of such behavior. My feeling about it is the same about touchdown dances. Show like you've been there before. IF tearing down a goalpost and the risks that go along with it are so emotionally charged experiences, then it says alot about life in general.

Interestingly, now, both Lehigh and Lafayette have designed special goal posts that get used just for The Game. Heavy steel I-beams that get inserted deep into a concrete casement at the back of each endzone. Has been in use for 10 years now, and no more tear-downs, riots with the cops, or maiming. And the Rivalry has not suffered at all.

yosefcity
December 15th, 2005, 02:37 PM
EZU students tore down States goalposts and trashed Raleigh. Thats why State refused to play EZU.

Tealblood
December 15th, 2005, 05:14 PM
At Coastal (and yes I know you beat us 30-3)the goalposts have been torn down twice and both times someone was hurt 1st time not so bad 2nd time broken collarbone I think

ASUMountaineer
December 15th, 2005, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=ASUMountaineer]

Actually, I've seen many posts taken down. It used to be tradition at the Lehigh/Lafayette game when both freshmen classes would fight for them. Back then they were made of strong wood. Came down easily, and were cut up for souvenirs. Some actually came down during a few games that were out of hand (1975 at halftime for one), and as a freshman in 1970 I was on the field fighting for that piece of wood. Several times mini-riots broke out between students and police trying to protect the posts.

But, now we have heavy steel uprights. People have been rendered paralyzed for life and a couple killed because of such behavior. My feeling about it is the same about touchdown dances. Show like you've been there before. IF tearing down a goalpost and the risks that go along with it are so emotionally charged experiences, then it says alot about life in general.

Interestingly, now, both Lehigh and Lafayette have designed special goal posts that get used just for The Game. Heavy steel I-beams that get inserted deep into a concrete casement at the back of each endzone. Has been in use for 10 years now, and no more tear-downs, riots with the cops, or maiming. And the Rivalry has not suffered at all.
I guess people can't accept responsibility for their own actions. Whenever I have rushed the field I've never gone after the field goal posts. Why? Because I don't want to get hit by one or trampled on. If I did try to take them down and get hurt, it's my fault for being an idiot.

That's the problem with anything nowadays, no one accepts responsibility. Should the school be sued if someone gets hurt by rushing the field and taking down the goalposts? I guess you've changed since the early 70s. If you did rush the field then, you would understand the emotions of the game. Don't try and make someone who likes it sound like an idiot for getting emotional about games...are you saying I must not have a life because I rush the field? Get a grip, who are you?

ASU Kep
December 15th, 2005, 05:49 PM
The only time I remember App getting "goal posted" was against WCU in '98. It was my first year at App, and it was the first time in 15 tries that the Can'tAmounts beat us for the Jug.

They rode Brad Hooooover to victory that day, and as much as I hated to lose (especially sine we would have earned the #2 ranking in the country with a win), deep down inside, I felt an odd happiness for Western that they were able to experience that kind of joy because I knew it wouldn't be often for them. :)

Just ask GSU fans...it can get pretty ugly in Chatt if you try and take their posts. I remember seeing pictures in the AJC back in '99 of local police pepper-spraying the throngs of post-hungry Eagle fans. Not pretty...but I guess pictures of GSU fans never are. :D

Sounds like a challenge. :hurray: . Can't wait to roll into town tomorrow.

penguinonastick
December 15th, 2005, 07:15 PM
I remember the 1992 NC game against Marshall at Marshall. When they won the kids stormed the field. The posts were surrounded by about 50 Policemen. It was like watching a small war. The police would mace the kids on one side and the kids would retreat. Then they would attack from the other side. They were relentless. It was kind of exciting to watch. The crowd was yelling and cheering for them. The students just wore the police down and I think the poles were greased too because the students kept falling off and when they got on them they came down in seconds. Pretty wild scene.

ASU Kep
December 15th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Well, I'm off to Chattanooga, gentlemen (after a brief stop in Atlanta). Absolutely cannot wait for tomorrow night. GO MOUNTAINEERS! ONE MORE, BABY!

See ya'll there.

:hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped:

AppStateSVX
December 15th, 2005, 11:00 PM
i wonder if lightweight goal posts would be a good idea? I mean, let's face it, as long as there are huge games with drunken fans, there isn't a way to stop it.

Tod
December 16th, 2005, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE=ngineer]
I guess people can't accept responsibility for their own actions. Whenever I have rushed the field I've never gone after the field goal posts. Why? Because I don't want to get hit by one or trampled on. If I did try to take them down and get hurt, it's my fault for being an idiot.

That's the problem with anything nowadays, no one accepts responsibility. Should the school be sued if someone gets hurt by rushing the field and taking down the goalposts? ...

Who didn't accept responsibility for a goal post injury or for being arrested? This is a serious question, I'm wondering if somebody has sued. :confused:

ngineer
December 16th, 2005, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE=ngineer]

That's the problem with anything nowadays, no one accepts responsibility. Should the school be sued if someone gets hurt by rushing the field and taking down the goalposts? I guess you've changed since the early 70s. If you did rush the field then, you would understand the emotions of the game. Don't try and make someone who likes it sound like an idiot for getting emotional about games...are you saying I must not have a life because I rush the field? Get a grip, who are you?

Some one who's grown up.

LeopardFan04
December 16th, 2005, 11:16 PM

I was on the field at Fisher when they (well one of them) came down in 2002...definitely stayed out of the way of it though...

ASUMountaineer
December 16th, 2005, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=ASUMountaineer][/B]

Some one who's grown up.
Well, I'm not around a half-century old, so I guess I have some time to grow up. You rush the field when you were in school and now condemn it, sounds to me like a grown up who is a hypocrite. Good job.

ngineer
December 16th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Merely pointing out the when young, we are prone to 'join the crowd' and bend to peer pressure rather than use our better judgement. Wisdom comes with age... ;)

ASUMountaineer
December 16th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Merely pointing out the when young, we are prone to 'join the crowd' and bend to peer pressure rather than use our better judgement. Wisdom comes with age... ;)

Got you, I feel old, I've been out of school for a year, but I never got to be at a game with such importance while in school and to get on the field and be able to be amongst the players and celebrate with them was great. Guys like me who were always too small to play football but wanted to, it's awesome to get out there and feel like we're part of it. I seriously doubt I'll ever rush the field again, but I think it's an experience everyone should have once. People just need to be smart about it. My apologies for the hostility...Cheers :beerchug:

ngineer
December 17th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Got you, I feel old, I've been out of school for a year, but I never got to be at a game with such importance while in school and to get on the field and be able to be amongst the players and celebrate with them was great. Guys like me who were always too small to play football but wanted to, it's awesome to get out there and feel like we're part of it. I seriously doubt I'll ever rush the field again, but I think it's an experience everyone should have once. People just need to be smart about it. My apologies for the hostility...Cheers :beerchug:

None needed. You'll be amazed when you get to 'my age' how many times you'll be sitting there and thinking, "did I really do that?" For so many of us it's 'but for the grace of God..." Enjoy the championship. :xmas: