PDA

View Full Version : Dukes Nab New Jersey QB

JMU Duke Dog
December 14th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Looks like JMU beat out Delaware for this QB recruit...

Dukes Nab Jersey QB
Keith McPherson was heavily recruited in Division I-AA.

By Mike Barber

The No. 1 need for James Madison’s 2006 football recruiting class was a quarterback. Coach Mickey Matthews can cross that off his holiday shopping list.

Ocean Township (N.J.) High School’s Keith McPherson, the Dukes’ top recruiting target this offseason, committed to JMU Tuesday night after a visit from Matthews and offensive coordinator Jeff Durden, McPherson said.

"It fits for me," McPherson, a 6-foot-1, 190-pound 17-year-old said Tuesday, just minutes after the two coaches left his central New Jersey home. "… I loved the stadium, loved the campus. It felt like a good fit."

McPherson said he had eight to 10 scholarship offers – the first coming from Hofstra – and was heavily recruited by most of the Atlantic 10. He also drew interest from Division I-A programs Maryland, Temple and Vanderbilt.

In the end, his decision came down to a pair of I-AA schools, JMU and Delaware. He unofficially visited both schools in the summer. Last weekend, McPherson and his mother took an official visit to JMU.

"This was my first one and last one," McPherson said of the visit to Harrisonburg. "I saw it in the summer and thought, ‘There’s no beating this place.’"

McPherson, who cancelled a scheduled official visit to Delaware next month to commit to Madison, led Ocean to the NJSIAA Group III championship, passing for two touchdowns and rushing for 139 yards in a 41-20 win over Nottingham.

For the year, he said he passed for about 500 yards while rushing for 600. He accounted for 18 touchdowns -- seven passing and 11 rushing -- despite missing two games early in the year with an injury.

McPherson said JMU’s 2004 Division I-AA national championship – along with the school’s impressive facilities – were key factors in his decision.

"That was big," McPherson said of the Dukes’ 13-2 title year. "I’m not even going to lie, I didn’t know much about them till they won. They were 7-4 this year and all the games they lost were close."

McPherson said he expects to most likely redshirt his first year with the Dukes, when incumbent starter Justin Rascati is a senior.

Rascati’s current backup, Rodney Landers, will be a redshirt sophomore next season.

"Whether I redshirt or not, I plan to be in the system -- having a crash-course year, make sure I have a good academic year, just settle in there," McPherson said.

Two L.C. Bird High School (Richmond) players, Eric McBride and Kevin Grayson, also orally committed to JMU over the weekend, a source said. Grayson, a 6-3, 200-pound wide receiver, and McBride, a 6-1, 205-pound linebacker, could not be reached for comment Tuesday night.

That brings to four the number of commitments JMU has received this recruiting season.

Offensive and defensive lineman Theo Sherman, a 6-4, 250-pounder out of Chatham High School, was the first commitment.

Matthews is not permitted under NCAA rules to publicly comment on players until he receives their signed letters of intent.

JMU has 15-20 scholarships to offer.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 14th, 2005, 10:00 AM
McPherson citing facilities as one his reasons for choosing JMU over UD will make many of the Blue Hen faithful very unhappy.

JMU Duke Dog
December 14th, 2005, 10:04 AM
JMU needed a QB recruit this recruiting season. Welcome to the Dukes McPherson!
According to rivals.com the other schools in the mix were:
-Maryland
-Northwestern
-Vanderbilt
-Wisconsin
-Delaware
-Hofstra
-New Hampshire

89Hen
December 14th, 2005, 10:08 AM
In the end, his decision came down to a pair of I-AA schools, JMU and Delaware. He unofficially visited both schools in the summer. Last weekend, McPherson and his mother took an official visit to JMU.

"This was my first one and last one," McPherson said of the visit to Harrisonburg. "I saw it in the summer and thought, ‘There’s no beating this place.’"

McPherson, who cancelled a scheduled official visit to Delaware next month to commit to Madison

Hmmmm, sounds like he may have found an envelope of cash in Mickey's office. :eyebrow: ;)

DB_Atlantic10
December 14th, 2005, 10:15 AM
[I]
Hmmmm, sounds like he may have found an envelope of cash in Mickey's office. :eyebrow: ;)

I doubt it, with Keeler making twice as much as Mickey, he probably found a pack of "Now & Laters" instead...... xlolx

bandl
December 14th, 2005, 10:18 AM
McPherson citing facilities as one his reasons for choosing JMU over UD will make many of the Blue Hen faithful very unhappy.
The facilities at JMU are top-notch, comparable to many of the I-A schools. Athletes recruited out of the state of Virginia have repeatedly said that the football facilities are just as good, if not better, than those at UVA and VT.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 14th, 2005, 10:27 AM
The facilities at JMU are top-notch, comparable to many of the I-A schools. Athletes recruited out of the state of Virginia have repeatedly said that the football facilities are just as good, if not better, than those at UVA and VT.

Yes. I have heard that the JMU facilities are top notch. With the money UD makes on football, however, why shouldn't theirs be a least on par?

In recent years, UD's admin has not invested much $$$ in its cash cow - the football program - much to the dismay of many fans, me included.

89Hen
December 14th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Athletes recruited out of the state of Virginia have repeatedly said that the football facilities are just as good, if not better, than those at UVA and VT.
As long as you don't count the field.

JMU Duke Dog
December 14th, 2005, 10:50 AM

JMU is supposed to start installing field turf starting sometime shortly after December commencement which is this upcoming Saturday. It is also going to have the JMU logo at midfield to spruce things up a bit.

http://www.caazone.com/boards/logos/logo_jmu.gif

ChickenMan
December 14th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Looks like JMU beat out Delaware for this QB recruit...

I didn't know that UD recruited HS QBs... ;)

DB_Atlantic10
December 14th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Well once they add fieldturf to the mix, pulling solid recruits should not be a problem.... that was a big issue for a lot of kids..and many never even considered the Dukes and their turf monster in the past. I'm sure Mickey's UGA and Marshall experiences made the JMU deficiencies stand out immediately...he's really turned things around in his short time there....good thing he speaks his mind....

henfan
December 14th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Wonder if this caused teams' interest to cool on McPherson:

What makes the Ocean win even more improbable is the team was playing without four-year starting quarterback Keith McPherson, who was suspended for violating team rules on Halloween. Four other Ocean Township players were also suspended because of the incident, including the team’s backup quarterback.
http://www.thecoaststar.com/weekly/2005/11.24.05/crusade.html

Good luck to JMU & Keith.

LacesOut
December 14th, 2005, 11:38 AM
I didn't know that UD recruited HS QBs... ;)

LOL

Oh they do. The I-A transfer QB need backups!

DB_Atlantic10
December 14th, 2005, 11:53 AM
LOL

Oh they do. The I-A transfer QB need backups!

Where did Santos come from?

bluehenbillk
December 14th, 2005, 11:55 AM
I agree with Sun Coast, UD is letting things that should be clear advantages over conference rivals slip through their fingers without doing crap. Edgar Johnson earns money for doing what exactly? Locking up West Chester through 2009?

89Hen
December 14th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Where did Santos come from?
You can thank the Blue Hens for introducing the world to Santos last year. In the opening game UNH stud senior QB Mike Granieri went down with an injury and we (the fans) figured the game was in the bag. Santos comes out and goes 10 of 11 for 146 and a TD in relief in his college debut. The Cats haven't looked back since. :doh:

DB_Atlantic10
December 14th, 2005, 12:07 PM
You can thank the Blue Hens for introducing the world to Santos last year. In the opening game UNH stud senior QB Mike Granieri went down with an injury and we (the fans) figured the game was in the bag. Santos comes out and goes 10 of 11 for 146 and a TD in relief in his college debut. The Cats haven't looked back since. :doh:

89Hen, sorry... I meant Riccio.... was he a IA tranfer to UDel or recruited? Sorry for the confusion..... :o

ChickenMan
December 14th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Riccio was a transfer from Missouri... the next likely starter is Joe Flacco... a transfer from Pitt

SunCoastBlueHen
December 14th, 2005, 12:13 PM
89Hen, sorry... I meant Riccio.... was he a IA tranfer to UDel or recruited? Sorry for the confusion..... :o

Transferred from Mizzou for his Junior year.

DB_Atlantic10
December 14th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Transferred from Mizzou for his Junior year.

I dont' know much about him, but did he materialize as UD fans thought he would?

89Hen
December 14th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Three 2-year transfers in a row:

Andy Hall - Georgia Tech, 2002-03
Santino Riccio - Missouri, 2004-05
Joe Flacco - Pittsburgh, 2006-07

89Hen
December 14th, 2005, 12:25 PM
I dont' know much about him, but did he materialize as UD fans thought he would?
No.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 14th, 2005, 12:27 PM

I think most would agree the Riccio was an average I-AA QB. Not terrible, but nothing special either. We are 1 for 2 on I-A QB transfers thus far under Keeler and hoping that Flacco (transfer form Pitt) makes it 2 for 3.

ChickenMan
December 14th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Riccio was an average QB... his problem was that he suffered in comparision to the previous Hen QB... Andy Hall.