PDA

View Full Version : So we're actually Division I

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 07:06 AM
If we're actually euphemized as being Division I?? So why pray tell is the "Rose Bowl" of our lot (the Division I-AA National Championship) broadcast on ESPN2? Why don't we get the honor of being on Sports television's premier flagship: ESPN?
I know the answer. We're supposed to be satisfied that we're even broadcast live at all by anybody. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Looking at ESPN's schedule...

Friday PM, they have a NBA game featuring Riley and company (Heat) vs the 76ers...

Saturday in the primetime, ESPN has NFL football (which begins the Saturday games this week) and college BKB all day. ESPN2 has the NCAA volleyball championships in the late afternoon and early evening with a BKB game featuring Ohio St vs Iowa St following.

I think it's about having the I-AA game competing against the NFL on Saturday during the day which is why it's on Friday and its on ESPN2 because the NBA is on ESPN on Friday nights...

89Hen
December 14th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Do people really differentiate between ESPN and 2 when it comes to televising games? There's only one game per week that is announced by their 'A' team on the "flagship" so I see no difference. Does anyone that gets ESPN not get 2?

AppFootballAlum
December 14th, 2005, 08:12 AM
If we're actually euphemized as being Division I?? So why pray tell is the "Rose Bowl" of our lot (the Division I-AA National Championship) broadcast on ESPN2? Why don't we get the honor of being on Sports television's premier flagship: ESPN?
I know the answer. We're supposed to be satisfied that we're even broadcast live at all by anybody. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Sure, ESPN is the flagship station while ESPN2 is considered by most as the second channel in the ESPN family of channels, but according to their corporate website, ESPN reaches 80 million households, while ESPN2 reaches about 75 million households or about nine out of every ten ESPN households also receive ESPN2 - thus I don't see it as a big deal. One might argue about Friday night programming versus Sat for the game, but in the end, most fans who follow I-AA football will watch the game no matter when it is broadcast

Hansel
December 14th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Do people really differentiate between ESPN and 2 when it comes to televising games? There's only one game per week that is announced by their 'A' team on the "flagship" so I see no difference. Does anyone that gets ESPN not get 2?
I was actually in a hotel last week which had ESPN, but not ESPN2 first time I can recall getting one without the other

NoCoDanny
December 14th, 2005, 08:53 AM
One diference at least for me is that only ESPN is available in High Def, the ESPN2 HD channel isn't available on my system. So simply for that reason alone I'd rather it be on ESPN.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Two words:

"Splitting Hairs"

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 09:22 AM
To me it's about image primarily. We kid ourselves about being Division I and they put us in a Ford and not the Lincoln. They're both Ford products.
A Lexus is a Toyota, but who the hell would pay Lexus price for a Toyota Camry?
We can give 63 scholarships but are mandated not to dress out that many in the play-offs.

bandl
December 14th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Did y'all transfer to YSU and enroll in "Whining 301"?
LOL xlolx

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Two words:

"Splitting Hairs"

You're right, but those hairs denote what our DIVISION is to the public. It's not just about labels either. We're handed chicken manure by the NCAA 365 24/7 and told it's chicken salad. Hey they both come from the chicken. And we go :doh:

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Did y'all transfer to YSU and enroll in "Whining 301"?
LOL xlolx

I'd agree with you if my team was sitting home and not worked as hard as we have to reach this so called monumental opportunity.
You just sit and wallow in your apathy and have your favorite I-A team as a back up to your alma mater. Wear your BCS garb to your alma mater's games.
There's a difference between whining and wanting to stop having the wool pulled over your eyes.

Our division is in real danger of losing GSU with it's 6 National Championships to D-I. Nuff said.

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 09:30 AM
I was actually in a hotel last week which had ESPN, but not ESPN2 first time I can recall getting one without the other

Anyone staying in that hotel will miss seeing the game. Guess that's what one poster would call splitting hairs.
I'm enroute to Knoxville Friday night and had to cancel a reservation to get one that had ESPN2 20+ miles out of the way.

bandl
December 14th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I'd agree with you if my team was sitting home and not worked as hard as we have to reach this so called monumental opportunity.
You just sit and wallow in your apathy and have your favorite I-A team as a back up to your alma mater. Wear your BCS garb to your alma mater's games.
There's a difference between whining and wanting to stop having the wool pulled over your eyes.

Our division is in real danger of losing GSU with it's 6 National Championships to D-I. Nuff said.

Wow, someone's got a major stick up their ass, huh? Can't take a joke? A little edgy about that game against UNI? Man, mellow out. xidiotx

Yeah, JMU didn't make it to the playoffs. Big deal, they didn't deserve to play, and you haven't read one comment out of me saying that they deserve it. Oh...did you just assume that I was actually from YSU because I felt like throwing a joke in here about them??
And how in the F&CK did you pull that I-A/BCS crap out of your ass in your reply to me?? Did I mention anything about I-A or the BCS?

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Wow, someone's got a major stick up their ass, huh? Can't take a joke? A little edgy about that game against UNI? Man, mellow out. xidiotx

Yeah, JMU didn't make it to the playoffs. Big deal, they didn't deserve to play, and you haven't read one comment out of me saying that they deserve it. Oh...did you just assume that I was actually from YSU because I felt like throwing a joke in here about them??
And how in the F&CK did you pull that I-A/BCS crap out of your ass in your reply to me?? Did I mention anything about I-A or the BCS?

Didn't sound like a joke to me, dude. No. I knew you weren't a Youngstown fan because they have ceased their whiny-azzing of late. I thought maybe you were a Coastal fan since you posted many pro-Coastal messages during Sept, Oct, etc.
My comments about I-A is more leveled at all those I-AA'ers who back a I-A team as much or more than their own alma-mater.
It galls my azz to see ASU students wear UNC and NCSU sweatshirts and hats to App games. It speaks volumes about our image or lack thereof.
Congrats on your 2004 NC and hope to see you in a NC game in the near future.
And as to UNI. I would have no fear whatsoever if Richie was 100% and ouir #1 receiver was 100%. Right now, even if we are without them, I still think we're at least a notch better depending on how that oblong pointy pigskin bounces.
My $$'s on ASU. No points given, none taken.
And right back at you with the xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx And you can kiss my xazzx

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 09:47 AM
And i got the sitting at home part right!! :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip:

WUTNDITWAA
December 14th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Instead of ESPN2, why don't we market it as ESPN I-AA???

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 09:51 AM
- thus I don't see it as a big deal. One might argue about Friday night programming versus Sat for the game, but in the end, most fans who follow I-AA football will watch the game no matter when it is broadcast

I agree. But when are we going to do anything significant to reach the football fans in general, not just our "small college" fan base?

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 09:52 AM

EXACTLY!!

bandl
December 14th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Didn't sound like a joke to me, dude. No. I knew you weren't a Youngstown fan because they have ceased their whiny-azzing of late. I thought maybe you were a Coastal fan since you posted many pro-Coastal messages during Sept, Oct, etc.
My comments about I-A is more leveled at all those I-AA'ers who back a I-A team as much or more than their own alma-mater.
It galls my azz to see ASU students wear UNC and NCSU sweatshirts and hats to App games. It speaks volumes about our image or lack thereof.
Congrats on your 2004 NC and hope to see you in a NC game in the near future.
And as to UNI. I would have no fear whatsoever if Richie was 100% and ouir #1 receiver was 100%. Right now, even if we are without them, I still think we're at least a notch better depending on how that oblong pointy pigskin bounces.
My $$'s on ASU. No points given, none taken.
And right back at you with the xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx And you can kiss my xazzx

Cool...we're even on the over/under assumptions! I'm not a supporter of CCU, btw...maybe I gave them some props after they beat the #1 team at the time....eh. Bygones. ;)

bandl
December 14th, 2005, 09:53 AM

As in, say "I-AA" as "One, TWO-A?" instead of "One, Double-A"? I like.

89Hen
December 14th, 2005, 09:53 AM
C'mon guys, just because Ralph is on the road doesn't mean you can use the wrong nomenclature. It's ESPN II. :cool:

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 09:59 AM
C'mon guys, just because Ralph is on the road doesn't mean you can use the wrong nomenclature. It's ESPN II. :cool:

Or ESPN, Jr.

Go...gate
December 14th, 2005, 10:23 AM
All I know is that UNI and ASU are on national television Friday night, while the rest of us are in Crapsville.

To both teams and their fans - best of luck and dammit, enjoy the experience!!! How many of us have had the chance to play at the top of our profession (e.g. handle a big trade or deal on Wall Street, handle a case in front of your State's highest court (or the U.S. Supreme Court), own or work for a business making a breakthrough on a national level, or just making a difference of some sort for a large contingent of interested and potentially impacted people? Even if you work hard and stay on the right side of things for work, family, and before God, the chance to do this does not come along often, if at all, in anyone's life. As a fan, I will never forget Colgate's run to, and appearance in, the Finals. What joy and pride it gave all of us associated with Colgate.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2005, 10:27 AM
All I know is that UNI and ASU are on national television Friday night, while the rest of us are in Crapsville.

To both teams and their fans - best of luck and dammit, enjoy the experience!!! How many of us have had the chance to play at the top of our profession (e.g. handle a big trade or deal on Wall Street, handle a case in front of your State's highest court (or the U.S. Supreme Court), own or work for a business making a breakthrough on a national level, or just making a difference of some sort for a large contingent of interested and potentially impacted people? Even if you work hard and stay on the right side of things for work, family, and before God, the chance to do this does not come along often, if at all, in anyone's life. As a fan, I will never forget Colgate's run to, and appearance in, the Finals. What joy and pride it gave all of us associated with Colgate.

But wait, according to I-AA, it's like being on CNBC instead of NBC! They should be pissed off at the slight! :rolleyes:

bcrawf
December 14th, 2005, 11:23 AM
I don't care what we're on WE ARE IN THE SHOW BABY!! :hurray:

DB_Atlantic10
December 14th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I really dont' see any fault being on ESPN2 vice ESPN...business wise it's just an expansion.... I remember when ESPN had no respect and Chris Berman was still running up and down the sidelines trying to find someone to talk to him..... It's kind of like MTV, they have so many crappy shows now, you have to go to MTV hits just to watch videos anymore. Times have changed and if you want to watch raw sports, ESPN2 is the place as ESPN has turned into one big Talk Show....

henfan
December 14th, 2005, 12:14 PM
ESPN2 is better than fine. I'm not certain I understand the point of this thread.

It's one of the best chances App State's ever had at getting its football team on national TV, so cherish it, John. Enjoy the game and your school's day in the sun. Opportunities like this are all too rare for schools like ours who will never be part of the BCS cartel.

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 12:41 PM
ESPN2 is better than fine. I'm not certain I understand the point of this thread.

It's one of the best chances App State's ever had at getting its football team on national TV, so cherish it, John. Enjoy the game and your school's day in the sun. Opportunities like this are all too rare for schools like ours who will never be part of the BCS cartel.

Depends on what your standards are.

As to best ever on TV..
1976 ASU vs ECU ABC
1978 ASU vs WCU ABC
1979 ASU vs WCU ESPN one of the very first college FB on ESPN
1980 ASU vs Furman CBS
1981 ASU vs Cit ABC
1983 ASU vs Cit CBS
'97-'05 ASU vs sev on FOX 17 times
:cool:
I'd say where we were 29 years ago in regards to TV exposure. Hopefully, come Saturday morning we will have been where we've never been before..National Championship category.

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I don't care what we're on WE ARE IN THE SHOW BABY!! :hurray:

Well, hey, that goes without saying. It's a wonder though that it's even broadcast.

goasu984Life
December 14th, 2005, 12:43 PM
They could put the game on ESPN8: The Ocho (<-----Dodgeball reference), and I would still be sitting in front of the TV, cheering them on. I could care less, just as long as my team is in it and has a chance to win the WHOLE DAMN THING!!!!

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 12:44 PM
But wait, according to I-AA, it's like being on CNBC instead of NBC! They should be pissed off at the slight! :rolleyes:
Well, yeah, I see your point crystal clear. Lehigh isn't on either damn one. :asswhip:
You get the sarcastic post of the week award.

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Good post. :beerchug:

henfan
December 14th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Depends on what your standards are.

John, thanks for illustrating my point.

Considering the limited number of national TV opportunities ASU has had in its history, Saturday remains, as I stated, "one of the best chances App State's ever had at getting its football team on national TV." If ASU wins the championship, it will be by far a better promotion of your football program than all of the prior regular season TV games from yesteryear that few (outside of ASU hardcores) remember. Many more people remember a champion.

Good luck Saturday. :beerchug:

ASUMountaineer
December 14th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Considering the limited number of national TV opportunities ASU has had in its history, Saturday remains, as I stated, "one of the best chances App State's ever had at getting its football team on national TV." If ASU wins the championship, it will be by far a better promotion of your football program than all of the prior regular season TV games from yesteryear that few (outside of ASU hardcores) remember. Many more people remember a champion.

You're right about it being one of the best chances for App State to have our football program on national telivision, but the game is Friday, not Saturday (be sure not to miss it!). On topic, there is no difference between ESPN and the Dos. Instead of arguing about ESPN vs. ESPN 2, how about arguing and trying to get the I-(Two) A championship game on Network TV, that way everyone can see whether they have cable or not. I know it's wishful thinking, but ASU vs. UNI will be a heck of a lot better game than USC vs. OU last year.

Go MOUNTAINEERS!!! and congrats to UNI, you guys are a class act!

AppFootballAlum
December 14th, 2005, 05:37 PM
They could put the game on ESPN8: The Ocho (<-----Dodgeball reference), and I would still be sitting in front of the TV, cheering them on. I could care less, just as long as my team is in it and has a chance to win the WHOLE DAMN THING!!!!

Exactly :beerchug:

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 05:56 PM
You're right about it being one of the best chances for App State to have our football program on national telivision, but the game is Friday, not Saturday (be sure not to miss it!). On topic, there is no difference between ESPN and the Dos. Instead of arguing about ESPN vs. ESPN 2, how about arguing and trying to get the I-(Two) A championship game on Network TV, that way everyone can see whether they have cable or not. I know it's wishful thinking, but ASU vs. UNI will be a heck of a lot better game than USC vs. OU last year.

Go MOUNTAINEERS!!! and congrats to UNI, you guys are a class act!

My sentiments exactly!! :hurray:

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the well wishes. Hopefully we'll keep the trophy on the east coast.

I just want people outside the alumni bases to see the Apps and UNI and know how good I-AA really is.
As to the limited opportunites...ASU football has appeared close to 60 times.

UNH SUPERFAN
December 14th, 2005, 08:21 PM
ALL THE THINGS YOU FOLKS ARE SAYING ABOUT THE LACK OF RESPECT 1AA GETS IS, SAD TO SAY, THE TRUTH. THE THING THAT BOTHERS ME MOST IS THAT ALL THE 6-5 1A TEAMS GET IN MEANINGLESS BOWL GAMES, ALL ON TV, WHILE THE TOP 1AA TEAMS ARE BEATING EACH OTHER'S BRAINS OUT FOR A CHANCE AT A CHAMPIONSHIP. THE REAL TRUTH IS THAT THE TOP 4 TO 8 TEAMS IN OUR DIVISION WOULD BEAT MANY OF THE 1A BOWL TEAMS. I THINK THAT THE PERCEPTION IS THAT 1AA FOOTBALL ISN'T "REAL" COLLEGE FOOTBALL BUT AS ALL OF YOU KNOW NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.

GOOD LUCK TO THE 2 TEAMS, UNI, YOU TORE MY HEART OUT!

SoCon48
December 14th, 2005, 09:32 PM
ALL THE THINGS YOU FOLKS ARE SAYING ABOUT THE LACK OF RESPECT 1AA GETS IS, SAD TO SAY, THE TRUTH. THE THING THAT BOTHERS ME MOST IS THAT ALL THE 6-5 1A TEAMS GET IN MEANINGLESS BOWL GAMES, ALL ON TV, WHILE THE TOP 1AA TEAMS ARE BEATING EACH OTHER'S BRAINS OUT FOR A CHANCE AT A CHAMPIONSHIP. THE REAL TRUTH IS THAT THE TOP 4 TO 8 TEAMS IN OUR DIVISION WOULD BEAT MANY OF THE 1A BOWL TEAMS. I THINK THAT THE PERCEPTION IS THAT 1AA FOOTBALL ISN'T "REAL" COLLEGE FOOTBALL BUT AS ALL OF YOU KNOW NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.

You said exactly what i was trying to say. :beerchug:

ASU Kep
December 14th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Division I Playoff Championship Series: I liked the name-change idea, where did it go?

henfan
December 16th, 2005, 10:22 AM
ALL THE THINGS YOU FOLKS ARE SAYING ABOUT THE LACK OF RESPECT 1AA GETS IS, SAD TO SAY, THE TRUTH.

Yup, and so what? I-A is also littered with teams who get no respect from the national media and the sports viewing public at large. Unless your alma mater is Texas, Michigan, USC, Florida State, or some other football factory, you're football program is likely never, ever going to get the kind of respect to which you refer. If you long for the unattainable, you'll likely be a terminally dissatified fan.

Save yourself the disappointment. Support your team, your division, your championship series and don't worry so much about what others think. You know the quality we've got in I-AA and that's what's important. Just enjoy what you've got, man.

SoCon48
December 16th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Yup, and so what? I-A is also littered with teams who get no respect from the national media and the sports viewing public at large. Unless your alma mater is Texas, Michigan, USC, Florida State, or some other football factory, you're football program is likely never, ever going to get the kind of respect to which you refer. If you long for the unattainable, you'll likely be a terminally dissatified fan.

Save yourself the disappointment. Support your team, your division, your championship series and don't worry so much about what others think. You know the quality we've got in I-AA and that's what's important. Just enjoy what you've got, man.
Please don't look at the bottom feeders in I-AA. :eek:
Talking about "litter." :eek: