PDA

View Full Version : Jax State at Nicholls State

JaxSinfonian
September 25th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Blast-from-the-past game here. Feels like we ought to be upsetting a top-10 Northwestern State team next week. I've always said JSU should try to schedule more of its old Southland foes for its non-conference games. Seems those those teams always have lots of games to fill in the early-season schedule.

Colonels fans, got any thoughts? Looks like your season is off to a rough start, but it's fair to say you've not really played an FCS peer yet (apologies to Duquesne). Is there more to this team than we've seen? (If we're short on Nicholls State folks, fans of other Southland squads should feel free to weigh in.)

Hood
September 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Hey, there's a few of us around here. Not much to talk about so far this year. Any other year we would have put put 28 points easy on both AFA and LA Tech and blown out Duquesne.

There has been jokes on the Nicholls board saying Thibodaux bakeries could do specials inspired by the football team, $1.00 off for each turnover we commit. (I forget the EXACT joke but you know where its going...)

Our defense got a big punch in the jaw in week 1. However, both the AFA and LA Tech score is misleading on our defense as our offense put them in a lot of holes. Fumbles on your own 20, or closer to the goal, cannot happen, but we do it.

Last week we ran fake punts on consecutive fourth downs (props to my better half for calling both of those and me saying coach wouldn't do it 3 games in a row, much less 2 4th downs in a row). Keep it between us guys, but you're bound to see the snap to the up back at least once from punt formation. If you tell your coach, just a reminder I sit where I can see your coaches and send a carrier pigeon to our coach and tell them what you guys are planning (I'm joking!!!)

Hopefully coach gets the team full of "Rah Rah its Homecoming" bluster and they come out with some pride.

Most of us have resigned ourselves into accepting another long season, rebuilding year, with budget cuts and such. We might surprise though. It's college football and what's the name of this board? Any Given Saturday.

I hope for a fun afternoon.

JaxSinfonian
September 25th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Don't worry. I've been shouting at our coaching staff for years now, and they haven't taken any advice at all, trust me. For our part, we may have a habit of going for it on fourth-and-short, even when we're in questionable field position, though without the trickery.

I'm curious to see how your option running game does tomorrow. If you've got an advantage in this game, that's it. Hey, it worked for Georgia Tech.

Once this is over, I hope the Colonels pull it together and knock the crap out of the rest of the Southland.

Cocky
September 26th, 2009, 08:16 AM
It sounds like the Nicholls fans are upset at the AD for advertising the return of RP.

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2009, 08:31 AM
It sounds like the Nicholls fans are upset at the AD for advertising the return of RP.

Their AD would be making a mistake if they weren't...

Heck, look at all the schools touting Isiah Thomas as their marquee game in men's bsaketball if FIU is on the slate. I know SHSU is and it looks like UNO is as well here locally...got to do what it takes to put butts in the seat.

EKU05
September 26th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Their AD would be making a mistake if they weren't...

Heck, look at all the schools touting Isiah Thomas as their marquee game in men's bsaketball if FIU is on the slate. I know SHSU is and it looks like UNO is as well here locally...got to do what it takes to put butts in the seat.

We do host FIU in basketball, and I think it's pretty cool. It remains to be seen how well we actually use that to get people into the arena, though.

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Another note on Nicholls vs Jax State, didn't they get some basketball games involved in the equation in terms of getting this to be a one-way deal in football?

We do host FIU in basketball, and I think it's pretty cool. It remains to be seen how well we actually use that to get people into the arena, though.

FIU is not going to be a good team and I am sure schools are going to promote the crap out of the fact they beat an Isiah Thomas coached team.

Those big-name recruits we keep hearing about on ESPN, etc are coming in 2010 and 2011. He did bring in some good JUCO players, but that chemistry is not going to mesh well together - it all remains to be seen.

JSU02
September 26th, 2009, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=TexasTerror;1417015]Another note on Nicholls vs Jax State, didn't they get some basketball games involved in the equation in terms of getting this to be a one-way deal in football?

Yes. We only needed an away game (since our stadium is being expanded and the light have been taken down) and our schedule for next year is booked. Nicholls is giving us $25K or $30K and giving us a home basketball game for our trip down yonder.

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Yes. We only needed an away game (since our stadium is being expanded and the light have been taken down) and our schedule for next year is booked. Nicholls is giving us $25K or $30K and giving us a home basketball game for our trip down yonder.

$25-30k is not bad. SHSU was paying in that area a few years back for buying a Div II foe.

Throw in all the pub Nicholls is getting this week, plus additional media that are probably at the game - it's not a bad deal. Playing JaxSt in hoops is good since they aren't a bad commute away from Nicholls.

JaxSinfonian
September 26th, 2009, 03:32 PM
End of the first, Jax State leading Nicholls State 7-0. Colonels defense held strong on the first couple of JSU possessions, but Perrilloux broke off the longest run of his career, 36 yards in a solid scoring drive.

JaxSinfonian
September 26th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Now 14-0 Jax State, 11:35 to play in the second quarter.

Cocky
September 26th, 2009, 04:51 PM
JSU takes opening KO of second half for TD, now 34-3 JSU.

Cocky
September 26th, 2009, 05:09 PM
41-3 JSU in the 3rd.

Cocky
September 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM
3:53 3rd quarter
JSU 48
Nicholls State 3

Cocky
September 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM
sorry they said it was 47-3 must have missed the EP
End of 3

JSU02
September 26th, 2009, 05:26 PM
NSU fumbles and JSU recovers. Its just gonna keep getting uglier. :)

Cocky
September 26th, 2009, 05:29 PM
53-3 JSU
14+ minutes left

Cocky
September 26th, 2009, 05:40 PM
53-10 JSU 12:05 left in the 4th

Cocky
September 26th, 2009, 05:50 PM
7:04 left in the 4th
JSU 60
Nicholls State10

JSU will now kick off for the 10th time.

Cocky
September 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM
JSU wins 60-10

JSU02
September 26th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hopefully the Poll voters will notice

Cocky
September 26th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Sounded like we were impressive today.
RP must have had a large following from LaPlace. Hopefully a few more La. players will find their way to JSU.

Tod
September 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Hopefully the Poll voters will notice

Two "good" losses to powerful FBS teams and what you've done since...JSU seems to be a damn good team.

I'm not voting, but if I was you'd be in there. And you should be.

Good luck the rest of the way! xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Wow...

Nicholls is going to be in for a rough year this season. You always got to think that the option will cause some teams problems, but it has not thus far...

ekufbfan
September 26th, 2009, 07:32 PM
WOW!!!

Just curious. Did JSU call off the dogs...did RP play the entire game????

Congrats on an impressive win.

GO EKU!

jsugamecocks1
September 26th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Ryan played the first 3 quarters I don't think he played the fourth. Marquis (sp) lead the team to the last TD.

Ryan threw for 4 td's and around 260 yds. IT was a good game for the Gamecocks.
We are looking forward to the first home game of the season next week when UT-Martin comes to town this has been a big game for us the last few years should be a good one.