PDA

View Full Version : A Closer look at TXST's Coach Bailiff

TXST_CAT
December 13th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Since TT decided to mention Bailiff in a few threads I thought I would provide a few articles that were never mentioned by TT.

Bobcats in new class
With Bailiff, Texas State a study in success
Sunday, November 20, 2005

SAN MARCOS — Not long ago, David Bailiff spent a spring day picking Mack Brown's brain about all things football. He took copious notes as the Texas head coach went over things he'd learned as far back as his one year at Appalachian State.

But then, Bailiff's all about continuing education.

'I don't want to be a flash in the pan,' says Texas State Coach David Bailiff, shown here as he celebrates a victory with fans on Saturday.

Texas State's dynamic, second-year head coach made that eminently clear from the moment he accepted his position. That was the main point of discussion in his 90-minute interview session in Waco before the school plucked the defensive coordinator out of Texas Christian to redirect the Bobcats' fortunes.

"In this day and age, you'd better worry about academics," Texas State Athletics Director Larry Teis said, mentioning the NCAA's new academic progress rates that gauge an athlete's advancement toward a degree. "It's a drop-dead issue."

School president Denise Trauth knew she had the right man for the job on Bailiff's first day in the job. He canceled scheduled interviews with the existing coaching staff to meet all afternoon with the Texas State academic adviser, discussing each player.

First things first. And academics always have been first with Bailiff, a 47-year-old San Antonio native.

Now the Bobcats (9-2) are first, too, making the grade on the field as well. Despite more fumbles than a FEMA planning session, they edged Sam Houston State 26-23 on Saturday in a thrilling overtime game, as Nicholas Session's 5-yard run set off a wild celebration on the track beyond the north end zone.

And why not? The win clinched the school's first share of the Southland Conference title in 22 years and a probable at-large berth in the Division I-AA playoffs.

Much of this success story can be traced to Bailiff's hiring. The school's three previous head coaches produced just one winning season, but Texas State has demonstrated its commitment by building a $10 million end-zone facility, complete with a six-figure digital video room.

Also at Bailiff's urging, the school hired its first football-only academic adviser, Chris Elrod, who worked at Texas for five years; a strength coach; and a video coordinator. In short, Texas State has gone big-time.

All of these upgrades should enhance recruiting for a school that loads up on Division I-A and junior-college transfers and now has 15, including running back Daniel Jolly.

"A lot of us were journeymen who were lost," said Jolly, a transfer from Colorado. "Coach Bailiff gave us a sense of direction and a sense of purpose."

Texas State also has won with talent such as Hula Bowl-bound defensive tackle Fred Evans — a swimmer until his junior year in high school — and 6-foot-7-inch wideout Markee White, who also plays on the Bobcats' basketball team.

For Bailiff, though, it began with improvement in the classroom. His emphasis on grades was apparent from the instant he set foot back on the campus of his alma mater. In a meeting on Feb. 4, 2004, he told his team in no uncertain terms that performance in the classroom was not only encouraged but expected.

The next day, he dismissed two starters from the team for failing to go to class. Another dozen or more players were declared "academically inactive," all of whom stayed in study hall at the expense of spring practice.

That has a way of getting players' attention. Two players, both tight ends, have already graduated. Five more are on schedule to receive their diplomas next month.

Along the way, with the help of 27 seniors, Bailiff also has turned around a moribund program that had losing records in 11 of the previous dozen seasons. As Mack Brown said, Bailiff could be going places if Texas State isn't careful.

"He's a rising star in this business," Brown said. "I'd hire him anywhere in the country right now. Texas State had better pay him a lot because there will be a lot of people knocking on his door."

Texas State may lock it first. Its board of regents last August signed off on a five-year contract for Bailiff — the longest for any Southland Conference football coach — and a six-figure annuity is in the works to supplement his relatively paltry $150,000 package. Bailiff is by far the highest-paid coach in the league.

Still, will it be enough?

"Sure, I worry about keeping him," Trauth said. "You always worry about keeping good people. This university is saying to him, 'We want you to stay,' and I think David has made a commitment to us to move us forward vigorously."

Bailiff has rallied the support of the community and integrated his team into it. Saturday's crowd of 15,288 fans was the stadium's third-largest. There was a time when then-Southwest Texas State longed to join Division I-A. Instead, it changed its name and settled on trying to get to winning football games.

"I'd love to turn this into a little UT," Bailiff said.

He may be doing so. He has a poor man's Vince Young in senior quarterback Barrick Nealy — who has quick feet and a strong if not always accurate arm. He's got a slew of talented running backs, such as Doug Sherman, and coordinator Craig Naivar's bone-jarring defense that knows only one speed.

"I love this university," Bailiff said, "and I want to sustain it. There's been so much instability here. I wanted a strong coaching staff to give the players love and tough love when they didn't do things right. I don't want to be a flash in the pan."

The trick may be to keep him in the pan.

TXST_CAT
December 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM
This is a recap of where our program has been in the last three to four years. Courtesy of the New York Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/sports/ncaafootball/11texstate.html?

December 11, 2005
Texas State Turns Around to Finish 11-3
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
The first two sellouts in university history. A downtown pep rally. The first run at a national football championship in more than 20 years.

There has not been this much excitement about the Texas State Bobcats since wacky Jim Wacker worked the sidelines.

After years of chronic losing, the host Bobcats (11-3) reached a Division I-AA semifinal Friday night, when they lost to Northern Iowa (11-3), 40-37 in overtime. As disappointing as that loss was, the enthusiasm for Texas State football will remain.

The Bobcats' first postseason appearance in 23 years capped the second year of a remarkable turnaround behind Coach David Bailiff and the senior quarterback Barrick Nealy, a small-college version of the nearby Heisman Trophy candidate Vince Young.

"We got our swagger back," Bailiff said.

But they more likely created one.

Known as Southwest Texas State when the Wacker was coach, Texas State is a university of 27,000 students in the lush Hill Country about 30 miles south of Austin, home of the University of Texas.

The high-water mark in the Bobcats' 101 years of football came in 1981-82, when Wacker's teams won back-to-back Division II national championships. Then he left for Texas Christian in 1983, and the program had only five winning seasons until this one.

The low point came in 2003. The team went 4-8, but the first-year coach, Manny Matsakis, and the athletic director, Greg LaFleur, were fired after an internal probe found 12 N.C.A.A. rules violations, including extra hours of practice beyond the 20 a week allowed. The college president, Denise Trauth, said the athletic department had "a culture of noncompliance."

"The only way to turn this ship around was to get new leadership," she said. "I believe we collectively hit bottom."

So Trauth turned to Bailiff, who had proved himself as the defensive coordinator at Texas Christian and, perhaps more important, had been a former Bobcats team captain under Wacker and later an assistant coach with the program. His first coaching job was at nearby New Braunfels High School.

Now 47, Bailiff said that Texas State was the only Division I-AA job he would even consider.

His overhaul began by setting a new tone in the classroom. When a professor complained about a player who was always late for class, Bailiff showed up early, took the player's seat and watched "the complete look of terror" on the tardy player's face. "He wasn't late again," Bailiff said.

The message was clear: Bailiff demanded discipline throughout his program.

According to Trauth's office, the team's collective grade-point average improved every semester under Bailiff to 2.45 last spring, on a 4-point scale, from 2.13 the fall before he arrived.

"You could tell the players wanted some direction," Bailiff said. "You could tell they wanted to trust us."

Not all of them did. Several left.

Nealy stayed. He had signed with Division I-A Houston out of high school but was injured as a freshman and transferred to Texas State before the 2003 season.

At 6 feet 3 inches and 230 pounds, Nealy can run (1,057 yards) as well as pass (2,875 yards). With three touchdown passes against Northern Iowa, Nealy accounted for 34 touchdowns this season.

In Texas State's 50-35 first-round playoff victory over Georgia Southern, Nealy passed for 400 yards and 4 touchdowns, and ran for 126 yards and another score.

"Blank out the jersey number and the uniform colors, and he could be Vince Young," Bailiff said.

When Bailiff took over, he became the team's third head coach in three years. Once his system took hold, Nealy said, it immediately produced results on the field.

The Bobcats were 5-5 going into their final game last season. Had they won, they would have been Southland Conference champions. They lost, but it proved to be the springboard for this season.

"That made us want to keep this team together during the off-season to work to get better," Nealy said.

The players signed the Code of the Claw, a contract governing their behavior in class, on the field and in public. By signing, they received dog tags engraved with "We Live for Each Other."

Last summer, Nealy and the Bobcats occasionally drove to Austin to scrimmage against the Longhorns' defensive backs. "They could compete against some teams in the Big 12," Texas safety Michael Griffin said.

The Bobcats proved that when Nealy passed for 378 yards and 3 touchdowns in a 44-31 loss at Texas A&M.

"I think we left that field a driven football team," Bailiff said.

This season's Southland title was Texas State's first league championship since 1982. The program moved up to I-AA in 1984 and this is the first time the team has made the postseason in the larger division. Fans have responded.

The second-round victory over Cal-Poly was the first official sellout at Bobcat Stadium. Friday's night game was broadcast on ESPN2.

"Morale is up because people feel a sense of pride that the rest of the country is paying attention," Trauth said.

TXST_CAT
December 13th, 2005, 01:14 PM
A reflection of the Dignity he has instilled in his players. Comments from players after the game was lost.

Football: Texas State trying to hold heads high

Web Posted: 12/11/2005 12:00 AM CST
Jerry Briggs
Express-News Staff Writer

Once Texas State's seniors wipe the tears from their eyes, they will see that they accomplished something special.

But after a season-ending playoff loss to Northern Iowa on Friday, it was hard for them to look beyond the reality that their college careers are over.

"We can walk away from it with a lot of pride," Texas State senior defensive tackle Fred Evans said. "But you understand that you still want to win. We had a pretty great season. We just didn't win it."

Northern Iowa shocked Texas State with a late rally and a 40-37 victory in overtime in front of 15,712 fans at Bobcat Stadium.

The victory sent the Panthers (11-3) into the national title game this Friday in Chattanooga, Tenn., against Appalachian State, which beat visiting Furman 29-23 in the other semifinal Saturday.

Texas State (11-3) finished with its most victories in a season since the 1982 team went 14-0 and won the Division II title.

The season will be remembered as one in which the Bobcats shed their image as a program wallowing in mediocrity at the I-AA level.

Under second-year coach David Bailiff, they claimed their first Southland Conference championship, tying for the title with Nicholls State. They also earned their first playoff berth in 22 years in I-AA.

They beat top-10 teams Georgia Southern and Cal Poly in their first two playoff games, both at home.

And if the Bobcats had held on against Northern Iowa, they also would have made a name for themselves as the first team since 1987 to make the championship round in its first playoff trip.

For sure, 27 Texas State seniors will be missed next year. But Bobcats senior quarterback Barrick Nealy said he thinks the young players will draw on the experience when they go into off-season training.

"We're upset we didn't win the ballgame," said Nealy, who finished his senior year with 2,875 yards passing and 1,057 rushing. "But to show the fight that we did, I think it's going to show the young guys what it takes."

After trailing by 14 in the first quarter, the Bobcats battled to an eight-point lead with 5:01 left in regulation. From there, they gave up a game-tying touchdown drive and 2-point conversion with a little more than a minute remaining.

Playing for overtime, Texas State let the remaining time expire, a decision that will be debated for years.

"It was just a decision that was made," Nealy said. "In the huddle, I told the guys, we could do it in the overtime. It wasn't a factor. They had a chance. We had a chance."

The Bobcats, with three timeouts left, had the ball at their own 25-yard line with 1:16 remaining in regulation.

Bailiff said he elected to run out the clock because he didn't want to risk a turnover that would have set up Northern Iowa kicker Brian Wingert.

Furthermore, he said he thought the Bobcats had a much better chance in the overtime format, with each team having a crack at scoring from 25 yards out.

"It was just a percentage call," Bailiff said. "You don't see too many 80-yard drives by us in 1:17."

After Wingert kicked a 25-yard field goal for the eventual final points in OT, the Bobcats had a chance. But Nealy, on a scramble, was intercepted.

Texas State's best season in 23 years was over.

"We've come a long ways, these seniors," fifth-year Texas State linebacker David Simmons said. "We have a lot to be proud of. We'll remember this for years from now."

TxState_GO_CATS!
December 13th, 2005, 02:45 PM
yup...i think everyone's well aware that TT doesn't like anything related to Texas State success. oh well...

PAY DA MAN! As long as we got Bailiff, we have a chance. Without him, we may be back down in the depths.

I actually casually talked to Bailiff a few days ago. Saw him in a local grocery store and congratulated him on the season. Of course, I added that he's probably the best thing to happen to this university since...forever. He thanked me, told me to bring some friends for next year's run, and went on about his shopping.

Classy man that Bailiff. :hurray:

Proud Griz Man
December 13th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Memo to self: stalk coaches at grocery store, tell them they're the best thing that ever happened to the school, check contents of grocery basket, make sure there's no sleeping pills in basket.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Bobcat94
December 14th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Memo to self: stalk coaches at grocery store, tell them they're the best thing that ever happened to the school, check contents of grocery basket, make sure there's no sleeping pills in basket.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Hell, I gotta laugh at that!

PAY THE MAN!!!!