PDA

View Full Version : Arizona writer is in awe of Montana

Ronbo
September 24th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Grizzlies dominance second to none

By DANIEL BERK
Sports Editor
Thursday, September 24, 2009

There are a lot of college football programs around the country that win.

There are few programs at the Football Championship Subdivision level anywhere in the nation that win as consistently or look as good doing it as the Montana Grizzlies. This Saturday, the Grizzlies, ranked No. 4 in the country this season, will stroll into town to take on NAU and it will be a true spectacle.

Montana, who has won or shared the Big Sky Conference title the last 11 seasons and has made 16 straight FCS playoff appearances, is the quintessential winner.

Everything the Grizzlies do, from the way their fans tailgate in the parking lot to the way the team takes the field, has the feel of a big-time program.

In Big Sky Conference football, Montana is the top of the class and there isn't a program in the conference that's close to catching the Griz.

It hardly matters what names are on Montana's roster, it's a given the Grizzlies will be one of the best teams in the country. Two years ago, Kroy Biermann, the All-American defensive end, and Lex Hilliard, the Walter Payton Award finalist running back, led the Griz into the Skydome with one of the best teams in the country and escaped with a 21-16 win.

Last year, the Grizzlies were supposed to be rebuilding, but as the rest of the Big Sky and the rest of the country found out, Montana doesn't rebuild.

Click here for the complete story

http://www.azdailysun.com/articles/2009/09/24/news/sports/20090924_sport_204309.txt

GannonFan
September 24th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Still a big hole in that conference when Idaho and Boise left that hasn't been filled. Montana deserves the credit they get for staying on top and building the program like they've done, but the trophy case wouldn't have filled as quickly had the conference not been bereft of some real consistent challengers. xthumbsupx

Silenoz
September 24th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Still a big hole in that conference when Idaho and Boise left that hasn't been filled. Montana deserves the credit they get for staying on top and building the program like they've done, but the trophy case wouldn't have filled as quickly had the conference not been bereft of some real consistent challengers. xthumbsupx
xdeadhorsex

Ronbo
September 24th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I think NAU, Montana State, Eastern Washington, and Weber State have all proved themselves since 2000. All have knocked off highly ranked playoff teams on the road. A problem the Big Sky has is what you see with Weber State and others playing two FBS teams early and thus having zero margin for error the rest of the season for playoff hopes.

th0m
September 24th, 2009, 11:44 AM
xdeadhorsex

It's been beaten to death because it's true?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Few more :)

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 24th, 2009, 12:01 PM

http://www.masonicinfo.com/images/BeatDeadHorse.gif
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f159/RaulMonkey/Animated/beating-a-dead-horse.gif
http://i.pbase.com/o6/05/29105/1/71376235.BISOnVbQ.beatdeadhorse.gif
http://websleuths.com/forums/images/smilies/ffj/other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif
http://sternplanet.com/boards/images/gifs/beatingdeadhorse.gif

Silenoz
September 24th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Mostly by Delaware and JMU fans, coincidentally...

GannonFan
September 24th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Yup. Until an argument is put out there that can stand on its own and be defensible, it will remain true. xpeacex

Silenoz
September 24th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Yup. Until an argument is put out there that can stand on its own and be defensible, it will remain true. xpeacex
I don't recall anyone ever arguing that the Griz didn't benefit from Boise State and Nevada leaving. What I don't understand is why "certain" fan bases have to bring it up ad naseum whenever our accomplishments are mentioned, just to try and bring us down a notch. Would we have won the CAA in 2005? Doubtful. In 1998? Doubtful. Will we ever actually know? No

...... xpeacex

terrierbob
September 24th, 2009, 01:18 PM
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_bI.Yt7tK54IARUujzbkF/SIG=12i6k7emk/EXP=1253902616/**http%3A//www.bittermancircle.com/my%2520images/BeatDeadHorse.gif

GannonFan
September 24th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I don't recall anyone ever arguing that the Griz didn't benefit from Boise State and Nevada leaving. What I don't understand is why "certain" fan bases have to bring it up ad naseum whenever our accomplishments are mentioned, just to try and bring us down a notch. Would we have won the CAA in 2005? Doubtful. In 1999? Doubtful. Will we ever actually know? No

...... xpeacex

It has nothing to do with "certain" fan bases - just happens to be the people here on AGS. But where I'm from, or anyone else who comments on it, doesn't change the fact that Montana's domination over the Big Sky, which itself is brought up ad naseum, is greatly impacted by the absence of Boise, Nevada, and Idaho and not backfilling those departures. One ad naseum topic (Montana's Big Sky domination) begets the other ad naseum reply (the Big Sky ain't what it used to be). It's just the way it is. xpeacex

putter
September 24th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I agree with the argument about the dominance after losing Idaho (who we have beaten 4 straight times after they left by the way..) Boise and Nevada. Obviously Montana's overall record would not be as good if those teams were still in the Big Sky. What I don't agree with is that fans keep saying that Montana is good only because those teams are not there anymore, yet year after year they put a team on the field that competes with any team in the nation. They don't always win but they stack up with anyone out there regardless of what you think of the strength of the conference.

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 01:51 PM
What I don't understand is why "certain" fan bases have to bring it up ad naseum whenever our accomplishments are mentioned
"In Awe of Montana"? Seriously? You have to ask? xrolleyesx

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 01:56 PM
What I don't agree with is that fans keep saying that Montana is good only because those teams are not there anymore, yet year after year they put a team on the field that competes with any team in the nation.
It's not only, but it's a huge part of it. If you live in anywhere in the west and don't get picked up by a I-A, where you gonna go? To the team that's on top. Montana took advantage of their place in football, much to their credit. But you can't deny that being top dog by virtue of attrition didn't help. Somebody in the Big Sky will knock off Montana one day and if that happens 2-3 times, you will see a big change. But until that day, Montana continues to be THE program in the west. xpeacex

GannonFan
September 24th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I agree with the argument about the dominance after losing Idaho (who we have beaten 4 straight times after they left by the way..) Boise and Nevada. Obviously Montana's overall record would not be as good if those teams were still in the Big Sky. What I don't agree with is that fans keep saying that Montana is good only because those teams are not there anymore, yet year after year they put a team on the field that competes with any team in the nation. They don't always win but they stack up with anyone out there regardless of what you think of the strength of the conference.

Since 1998 (that's 11 years), 5 times when Montana's won the Big Sky ('98, '99, '03, '05, and '07) they have lost their first round playoff game, 4 of those 5 times they've lost at home. And 3 of those years where years where Montana lost 3 regular season games. All I'm saying, and I'm sure the others who are castigated as being ad naseum, is that the long streak of Big Sky titles and playoff appearances would not be as long had there been quality competition right behind Montana in the Big Sky, especially in those years when Montana wasn't really that good.

Montana's got plenty of playoff runs and great seasons to make pretty much anyone else in FCS-land envious, however, to add into that list of accomplishments the dominance of the Big Sky is just a little false without acknowledging the other major reason behind it.

griz8791
September 24th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Montana fans brag up program's awesomeness, CAA fans reply that conference is weak overall.

Film at 11.

xcoffeex

Silenoz
September 24th, 2009, 02:19 PM
It has nothing to do with "certain" fan bases - just happens to be the people here on AGS. But where I'm from, or anyone else who comments on it, doesn't change the fact that Montana's domination over the Big Sky, which itself is brought up ad naseum, is greatly impacted by the absence of Boise, Nevada, and Idaho and not backfilling those departures. One ad naseum topic (Montana's Big Sky domination) begets the other ad naseum reply (the Big Sky ain't what it used to be). It's just the way it is. xpeacex

And I'm saying that's stupid. I won't argue that Griz fans can be a little overbearing about our team/history/stadium/whatever, but why is it that people are compelled (and yes, it is certain fanbases that do this the majority of the time) to let us know that we aren't as good as we think we are?

GannonFan
September 24th, 2009, 02:21 PM
And I'm saying that's stupid. I won't argue that Griz fans can be a little overbearing about our team/history/stadium/whatever, but why is it that people are compelled (and yes, it is certain fanbases that do this the majority of the time) to let us know that we aren't as good as we think we are?

Why do you feel so compelled to tell us how good you think you are? xwhistlex:p

hawkssb04
September 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Well no duh. Doesn't everybody know that Montana is the best and their coach is the best and their fans are the best? They can do absolutely nothing wrong. Their fans know when to scream the right time and they can understand all the numbers on the scoreboard when nobody else can. Their awesomness completely astounds me and did I mention how awesome they are?! Oh no ... I guess they do that for me.
P.S: Bobby Hauck's tears cure cancer. He told me so.
http://digitalheadbutt.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/hauck.jpg

griz8791
September 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Why do you feel so compelled to tell us how good you think you are? xwhistlex:p

And there it is in a nutshell. Bragging simply increases the frequency of the "Big Sky sucks" lecture from once a week (roughly coinciding with the release of that week's polls) to as often as the bragging occurs. Eliminating the bragging probably wouldn't totally eliminate the lecture, but it probably would set it back to about once a week.

Green26
September 24th, 2009, 02:33 PM
If one looks at the past 10 years or so, and even in some shorter time periods, the Big Sky conference is rated (by Sagarin and others) as being in the top 3 I-AA confernces.

The Big Sky is currently the top-rated I-AA conference in the Sagarin ratings. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc09.htm

The Big Sky was the 3rd rated conference last year. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc08.htm

Of course, the departure of Boise St. changed the conference. I'm not so sure about Idaho. Note that Montana has beaten Idaho the past 4 times they've played them, all in the early 00's. Idaho sure wouldn't have been standing in the way of Montana winning the conference.

Boise St. and Idaho won 65% and 63% of their Big Sky conferences games while in the conference. Montana was the conference 2 of the last 3 years that Boise St and Idaho were in the conference, and was runner up in the 3rd year.

Green26
September 24th, 2009, 02:35 PM
So posting a story written by a non-Montana writer is bragging? I don't think so.

griz8791
September 24th, 2009, 02:38 PM
If it's a Montana fan who puts it up, I think it is.

I'm surprised this thread has no replies from 89Hen. His internet access must be down.

mtgrizfan4life
September 24th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Arguing Montana's dominance or any teams dominance at any sport at any level is ridiculous. I do not care if it is HS, College, or pros, to do what Montana has done is downright impressive.

It is impressive to have the depth to plug in when major injuries occur, like LEX's injury a few years back.

It is impressive to lose 25 or so SR's and in a rebuilding year go onto the National Championship.

It is impressive to beat a FCS/1-AA with BCS/1A talent, at that team's homefield for the National Championship (Marshall).

It is impressive to have gone from Read, Dennehy, Glenn, to Hauck and continue winning. Considering when a new coach takes over there is a transition, and many programs struggle with the new things that new coach brings in. It is impressive to have made the right coaching decision everytime without skipping a beat.

It is impressive to have 25k attendance sound like 50k plus attendance and have a reputation of a top 25 game day experience in all of college football.

It is impressive to have gone from a program that home grown kids did not want to play for to one that kids are bred to be Grizzlies (see Nebraska too). Many of these kids turn down scholarships to walk on for the GRIZ. Others turn down bigger programs from bigger conferences because of GRIZ pride. It is impressive to have Montana born players actually making to the NFL now consistently LEX, Carpenter, Tuff Harris, Kroy Biermann, Colt Anderson. That list could grow with Mariani and Schillinger next year.

IF this were not impressive, why do FCS fans from all over the country want to experience GRIZ game day at least once?

Why do coaches that have coached at higher levels consistently rave about Montana? Why do other teams think they can handle GRIZNATION always comment at the end how damn loud it was, and how difficult/challenging that game was?

It is impressive to win your conference every year, when you know your conference challengers are the ones that are most prepared for you. That is the toughest part for any program every year.

Sorry folks, GRIZ fan or not, what has been accomplished at Montana is damn impressive. As a sports fan my hats off to the likes of the GRIZ, Yankees (which I hate), Steelers, Canadiens/Redwings (hate), Celtics (hate)/Lakers. ( I wanted to insert BCS programs here, but hard to do so when they do not truly win it on the field.) All the teams mentioned here are amongst the best at their levels over history at their sport and level. That has to be respected rather you like a program/team or not. As a sport fan, I have no problem giving credit where it is due, even if it pains me to do so with some teams.

As a GRIZ fan, I am proud of what our Po Dunk state has done with our PO Dunk program. In honor of our entrance videos, "THIS IS GRIZNATION!"

Silenoz
September 24th, 2009, 02:54 PM

I'm surprised this thread has no replies from 89Hen. His internet access must be down.

xlolx

aggiemba
September 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM
It is not so impressive to have a team of thugs, gangmembers, and coaches who cover-up off field "incidents" for his players.

Don't take my word for it, just read the Kaimin. xcoolx

Ronbo
September 24th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Hey aggie what's 4-0 mean to UC Davis? That's Montana's record against you. xlolx

I Bleed Purple
September 24th, 2009, 02:59 PM
It is not so impressive to have a team of thugs, gangmembers, and coaches who cover-up off field "incidents" for his players.

This thread is now guaranteed to have 100 new replies, 97 by griz fans xlolxxlolx

Ronbo
September 24th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Yeah you know when somebody is charged with a felony they are immediately kicked off the team at Montana. When a Weber State player is a felon he gets re-instated for the playoffs. By the way how is your star WR, in jail?

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Now Now Ronbo. This is about MT not Weber St. xrolleyesx

I Bleed Purple
September 24th, 2009, 03:08 PM
By the way how is your star WR, in jail?
Don't have a clue. I assume you meant Etuati. He plead to misdemeanors, so doubtful he's in jail.

mtgrizfan4life
September 24th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Ronbo, no need to add fuel to the fire. The thread is doing fine without that. BTW, it was only one player. No need to bring this into the fray. As a GRIZ fan, I too am upset we have had some not so good publicity for bad things the last 3 years.

Besides Weber State now has my respect. They have a great team this year, and last year.

griz8791
September 24th, 2009, 03:13 PM

Your repeated attempt to smear the whole team is over the top.

Don't take my word for it, just notice how the last two threads in which you made that accusation have quietly and mysteriously disappeared from AGS.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 24th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Your repeated attempt to smear the whole team is over the top.

Don't take my word for it, just notice how the last two threads in which you made that accusation have quietly and mysteriously disappeared from AGS.

There are gremlins everywhere on AGS right now. Lots of threads and posts disappearing. xreadx

elkmcc
September 24th, 2009, 03:21 PM

And when your done with that rag read the Nat'l Enquirer.

Honestly, I don't think I can remember such a poor sport, sour grapes poster since I have been reading this board. That goes back to early '90's.

Get it through your head my friend. BH never covered up anything. He did what was asked of him by the parents of the victim. He was more proactive about dealing with the issue than was asked of him and he followed through with his promises.

You wouldn't have any idea about the punishement that Johnson and Swink received for the matter. I do. I witnessed it first hand and by friends that attended most of the practices throughout spring and fall camp.

Sour grapes. You are continuing to make yourself look like a fool with your responses.

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 03:22 PM

Honestly, I don't think I can remember such a poor sport, sour grapes poster since I have been reading this board. That goes back to early '90's.

Get it through your head my friend. BH never covered up anything. He did what was asked of him by the parents of the victim. He was more proactive about dealing with the issue than was asked of him and he followed through with his promises.

You wouldn't have any idea about the punishement that Johnson and Swink received for the matter. I do. I witnessed it first hand and by friends that attended most of the practices throughout spring and fall camp.

Sour grapes. You are continuing to make yourself look like a fool with your responses.

Great post!

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 24th, 2009, 03:25 PM

I'd rather have bamboo shoots shoved under my fingernails and lit on fire. xnodx:D

I Bleed Purple
September 24th, 2009, 03:25 PM

This board's been around since the early 90's?

elkmcc
September 24th, 2009, 03:29 PM

Yes. In the early years it was referred to as "escribe". Actually was a pretty interesting board.

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 24th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Its been covered up by the people in charge, but yes Montana did invent the internet sometime in the late 80s. This board was created almost immediately after to brag about our accomplishments.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Its been covered up by the people in charge, but yes Montana did invent the internet sometime in the late 80s. This board was created almost immediately after to brag about our accomplishments.

I didn't know Al Gore was a Griz fan! xthumbsupx:D

elkmcc
September 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Too funny !

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 24th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I didn't know Al Gore was a Griz fan! xthumbsupx:D

He and Dennison are good friends.

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 03:47 PM
If one looks at the past 10 years or so, and even in some shorter time periods, the Big Sky conference is rated (by Sagarin and others) as being in the top 3 I-AA confernces.
Oh God, here we go. xrolleyesx

putter
Since 1998 (that's 11 years), 5 times when Montana's won the Big Sky ('98, '99, '03, '05, and '07) they have lost their first round playoff game, 4 of those 5 times they've lost at home. And 3 of those years where years where Montana lost 3 regular season games. All I'm saying, and I'm sure the others who are castigated as being ad naseum, is that the long streak of Big Sky titles and playoff appearances would not be as long had there been quality competition right behind Montana in the Big Sky, especially in those years when Montana wasn't really that good.

Montana's got plenty of playoff runs and great seasons to make pretty much anyone else in FCS-land envious, however, to add into that list of accomplishments the dominance of the Big Sky is just a little false without acknowledging the other major reason behind it.

That is why I posted that they can compete with anyone in the nation. If my memory serves me, there are only 2 playoff blowouts I can remember...1992??? @ Georgia Southern and 1997??? @ Western Illinois. Regardless of the possibility of not winning/sharing the conference 16 straight years straight, the Griz have been competitive on a national level. Yes, in "down" years the Griz may have not had the overall level of competition in the Big Sky to dethrone them but have held their own...and when they have been beaten in the first round, home or away, it was against quality teams and there is no shame in that.

89Hen

You must have me on ignore. Check page 2. xpeacex

CFallsGriz
September 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Mostly by Delaware and JMU fans, coincidentally...

Exactly. Because, as we all know, every- and anything that's been beaten to death is obviously very true.xrolleyesx

Silenoz
September 24th, 2009, 03:57 PM
That is why I posted that they can compete with anyone in the nation. If my memory serves me, there are only 2 playoff blowouts I can remember...1992??? @ Georgia Southern and 1997??? @ Western Illinois. Regardless of the possibility of not winning/sharing the conference 16 straight years straight, the Griz have been competitive on a national level. Yes, in "down" years the Griz may have not had the overall level of competition in the Big Sky to dethrone them but have held their own...and when they have been beaten in the first round, home or away, it was against quality teams and there is no shame in that.

It was 1989 and 1998. And I'd say the Richmond game wasn't pretty either

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 04:03 PM
That is why I posted that they can compete with anyone in the nation. If my memory serves me, there are only 2 playoff blowouts I can remember...1992??? @ Georgia Southern and 1997??? @ Western Illinois.
Home field of flying teams across the country to play in cold weather has to be worth quite a few points to keep some of those games close. xpeacex

srgrizizen
September 24th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I. Griz fans seem especially needy of validation and never miss an opportunity to brag.

II. Some AGS regulars seem to be annoyed by this and never miss an opportunity to denigrate the BSC/Griz schedule, etc.

III. Casual readers of AGS are amused by the perpetual repetition of I. and II.

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Home field of flying teams across the country to play in cold weather has to be worth quite a few points to keep some of those games close. xpeacex

So by your thinking, any team that has to go play in the south or even the middle of the country in hot weather is losing quite a few points as well?

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Isn't that what one calls "Home Field Advantage"?

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM
So by your thinking, any team that has to go play in the south or even the middle of the country in hot weather is losing quite a few points as well?
xeyebrowx What's the hottest playoff game on record?

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Isn't that what one calls "Home Field Advantage"?
Yes. We have it too, but it's thanks to good attendance. xpeacex

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 04:14 PM
xeyebrowx What's the hottest playoff game on record?

I don't know. Just using your logic. And if anything, the cooler weather, I would think, would help a team rather than hurt it. Providing it wasn't 20 or something like that. And just FYI, it hasn't been really cold in the first round here in a long long time. SO much for that advantage.

srgrizizen
September 24th, 2009, 04:37 PM

The argument about weather borders on the ridiculous. Almost 100% of the time the weather is the same for both teams. Any attempt to attribute a huge advantage to one group of athletes because of weather is nothing more than a desperate search for excuses. Travel and home field advantage have far more credibility, especially if the home field is Wa/Griz stadium. I hope the Griz NEVER point to hot weather as an excuse when they lose to some southern team that outplayed them that day. xpeacex

Silenoz
September 24th, 2009, 04:39 PM

xlolx, admit you have an agenda against us

edit: oops, better add a xpeacex

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I don't know. Just using your logic. And if anything, the cooler weather, I would think, would help a team rather than hurt it. Providing it wasn't 20 or something like that. And just FYI, it hasn't been really cold in the first round here in a long long time. SO much for that advantage.
Depends on what you call really cold. If you could have seen the UNI team in 2003 when they came to Newark and had to play on a frozen field. They looked shell shocked and miserable. I have no doubt that UNI's performance was party due to the weather that day.

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Depends on what you call really cold. If you could have seen the UNI team in 2003 when they came to Newark and had to play on a frozen field. They looked shell shocked and miserable. I have no doubt that UNI's performance was party due to the weather that day.

I didn't know that they had cold weather EAST of the Mississippi???? WOW. Guess one learns something new every day, huh?

And the GRIZ had no problem when they played at SHS a few years ago.....We lost if you dind' tknow.

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 04:48 PM
The argument about weather borders on the ridiculous. Almost 100% of the time the weather is the same for both teams. Any attempt to attribute a huge advantage to one group of athletes because of weather is nothing more than a desperate search for excuses. Travel and home field advantage have far more credibility, especially if the home field is Wa/Griz stadium. I hope the Griz NEVER point to hot weather as an excuse when they lose to some southern team that outplayed them that day. xpeacex
It isn't the same for both. Blood does thicken. If you're used to the cold and have a game plan for the cold, you have an advantage over a team that is not used to the cold and runs an offense geared around conditions where you can grip the ball.

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I didn't know that they had cold weather EAST of the Mississippi????
Sometimes. But it's rare for November/early December in the mid-Atlantic. xpeacex

grizzpaw
September 24th, 2009, 04:49 PM
is there ANY program that ONE player or more doesn't get in a fight?

Grizzaholic
Sometimes. But it's rare for November/early December in the mid-Atlantic. xpeacex

You had better have a talk with the ECB and let it know it is not allowed to harm the East Coast teams advearsly (sp).

Grizzaholic
is there ANY program that ONE player or more doesn't get in a fight?

xeyebrowx

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 04:50 PM
xlolx, admit you have an agenda against us
Kind of. You have an agenda for you and somebody has to keep you honest. If you've been around long enough, you'd know that I have great respect for Montana. It's the rest of your conference that doesn't impress me. But they are improving. xpeacex

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Kind of. You have an agenda for you and somebody has to keep you honest. If you've been around long enough, you'd know that I have great respect for Montana. It's the rest of your conference that doesn't impress me. But they are improving. xpeacex

Don't you bad mouth Cal Poly, UC Davis or SUU....wait, they are in the BSC too, right? xsmiley_wix

mtgrizfan4life
September 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Don't you bad mouth Cal Poly, UC Davis or SUU....wait, they are in the BSC too, right? xsmiley_wix

Might as well be. With the limited number of teams west of the Mississippi, I really do wish there would be one huge football conference, including the Dakota Schools too.

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I don't think I've ever bad mouthed CalPoly. UCDavis doesn't come up much in converation. SUU, you got me there. I do bad mouth them. But I also bad mouth the Ivy, the MEAC, the SWAC, the OVC.... so I'm not seeing the geography thing. xconfusedx

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Might as well be. With the limited number of teams west of the Mississippi, I really do wish there would be one huge football conference, including the Dakota Schools too.
Would love to see all four Dakotas, UM, MSU in a conference together. xnodx

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 05:05 PM

And if you add in the current BSC teams it would still be about 12 teams short of the CAA.:)

mtgrizfan4life
September 24th, 2009, 05:06 PM

I would guess most of the FCS would love to see that. Unfortunately we have a bunch of stubborn asses already in the BSC that do not want to better this conference long term. I better step down off this soapbox, I am about to get into a rant of how stupid our conference is for not letting them in when we had a chance.

I Bleed Purple
September 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Well, there were a lot of Griz fans complaining about the weather in their one conference loss last year...xwhistlex

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
And if you add in the current BSC teams it would still be about 12 teams short of the CAA.:)
xlolx xthumbsupx

xoutofrepx

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2009, 05:11 PM
xlolx xthumbsupx

xoutofrepx

SO when is the SO-CON going to join up with the CAA? Wasn't that supposed to happen before this season?

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 05:12 PM
SO when is the SO-CON going to join up with the CAA? Wasn't that supposed to happen before this season?
We don't want those chumps. They're southern, not east coast. xsmiley_wix

Also, we already snagged their best schools years ago.

Silenoz
September 24th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Well, there were a lot of Griz fans complaining about the weather in their one conference loss last year...xwhistlex
The rain was so bad is washed my contact out of my left eye. True story

Grizaholic17
September 24th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I think it's safe to say judging by some posts that:

Montana has been in the championship 6 of the past 13 years (meaning that on average, every other year since 1995 there has been a Montana grizzly team on ESPN in December) because our conference is not the same caliber as CAA or SoCon.

xcoffeex

GOKATS
September 24th, 2009, 07:37 PM
xcoffeexxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxb lahblahxxblahblahx

GOKATS
September 24th, 2009, 07:39 PM
xcoffeexxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahx

mlbowl
September 24th, 2009, 08:51 PM
xcoffeexxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahx

Did you read the thread title???...what did you think was going on in here?

GOKATS
September 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Did you read the thread title???...what did you think was going on in here?

Same old *****................................xnodx

xcoffeexxwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlex

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 24th, 2009, 09:38 PM
The rain was so bad is washed my contact out of my left eye. True story

It was a cold miserable game, and the weather wasn't much better xeekx

I still don't think my sack has dried out. :p

Grizo406
September 24th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Well no duh. Doesn't everybody know that Montana is the best and their coach is the best and their fans are the best? They can do absolutely nothing wrong. Their fans know when to scream the right time and they can understand all the numbers on the scoreboard when nobody else can. Their awesomness completely astounds me and did I mention how awesome they are?! Oh no ... I guess they do that for me.
P.S: Bobby Hauck's tears cure cancer. He told me so.
http://digitalheadbutt.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/hauck.jpg

Finally...a Weber fan that understands!??!

For the "In Mac we trust...xbowx" crowd that missed it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN8y1E-nIHw

WOOPS!

Grizo406
September 24th, 2009, 10:19 PM

Looks like some pretty sound advice!xnodxxlolxxlolx

aggiemba
September 24th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Looks like some pretty sound advice!xnodxxlolxxlolx

The griz are tough. Do you think the thugs will flash some of their gang signs when you guys are on ESPN later this year?

How will Hauck cover up that one?xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
September 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM
The griz are tough. Do you think the thugs will flash some of their gang signs when you guys are on ESPN later this year?

How will Hauck cover up that one?xthumbsupxI heard the whole team was flashing gang signs when the electric bill ran out at your stadium.

Looks like Aggie stadium is providing more of a cover-up than Hauck. xlolx

xrolleyesx

mtgrizfan4life
September 25th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Arguing Montana's dominance or any teams dominance at any sport at any level is ridiculous. I do not care if it is HS, College, or pros, to do what Montana has done is downright impressive.

It is impressive to have the depth to plug in when major injuries occur, like LEX's injury a few years back.

It is impressive to lose 25 or so SR's and in a rebuilding year go onto the National Championship.

It is impressive to beat a FCS/1-AA with BCS/1A talent, at that team's homefield for the National Championship (Marshall).

It is impressive to have gone from Read, Dennehy, Glenn, to Hauck and continue winning. Considering when a new coach takes over there is a transition, and many programs struggle with the new things that new coach brings in. It is impressive to have made the right coaching decision everytime without skipping a beat.

It is impressive to have 25k attendance sound like 50k plus attendance and have a reputation of a top 25 game day experience in all of college football.

It is impressive to have gone from a program that home grown kids did not want to play for to one that kids are bred to be Grizzlies (see Nebraska too). Many of these kids turn down scholarships to walk on for the GRIZ. Others turn down bigger programs from bigger conferences because of GRIZ pride. It is impressive to have Montana born players actually making to the NFL now consistently LEX, Carpenter, Tuff Harris, Kroy Biermann, Colt Anderson. That list could grow with Mariani and Schillinger next year.

IF this were not impressive, why do FCS fans from all over the country want to experience GRIZ game day at least once?

Why do coaches that have coached at higher levels consistently rave about Montana? Why do other teams think they can handle GRIZNATION always comment at the end how damn loud it was, and how difficult/challenging that game was?

It is impressive to win your conference every year, when you know your conference challengers are the ones that are most prepared for you. That is the toughest part for any program every year.

Sorry folks, GRIZ fan or not, what has been accomplished at Montana is damn impressive. As a sports fan my hats off to the likes of the GRIZ, Yankees (which I hate), Steelers, Canadiens/Redwings (hate), Celtics (hate)/Lakers. ( I wanted to insert BCS programs here, but hard to do so when they do not truly win it on the field.) All the teams mentioned here are amongst the best at their levels over history at their sport and level. That has to be respected rather you like a program/team or not. As a sport fan, I have no problem giving credit where it is due, even if it pains me to do so with some teams.

As a GRIZ fan, I am proud of what our Po Dunk state has done with our PO Dunk program. In honor of our entrance videos, "THIS IS GRIZNATION!"

Wow, nobody refuting this. After this post, I got to talking to a few friends of mine, a few are griz fans, the others really do not follow fcs football. One of them brought up one of my points of how impressive it is to keep or better the program through 4 different coaches in consecutive years? We sat there for a few hours trying to think of another program at any level, football or basketball that continued winning through 4 coaches in consecutive years like the GRIZ have. Usually there is a struggle with one coach or the other for a year or 2.

We agreed to continue trying to come up with any comparisons of this many winning seasons, making the playoffs, or being top 10 year in year out for the FCS programs. The closest teams we came up with for long runs at there level in their league or division are the Braves, Yankees, Sooners Football, UCLA Basketball, Bills, Patriots, but that is only if we waived the number of coaches criteria.

We struggled to even come up with that list. We are thinking there has never been another program, team/organization in collegiately or professionally to have the kind of run the GRIZ have with 2 or more head coaches. The Steelers we came up with having 3 coaches win championships over 20 plus years.

Either way, all 4 of them and I agreed to have done this with 4 coaches is the most impressive part of this run for the GRIZ.

Green26
September 25th, 2009, 01:54 AM
In the past 22 months, UM's problems have consisted of 2 fights.

In the last one, the police weren't called, no charges were sought by the victim or his family, the dad reported the incident to the coach, the coach had the players call the victim to apologize (and they have talked several more times), the coach instituted considerable punishment in the spring and summer for the players, the players didn't suit up the first game, and the family is more than happy with the result. That sure doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

In the fight a year ago, 3 true frosh (one a Missoula kid, one the son of a former UM coach, and a kid from California, all white kids) got kicked off the team and kicked out of school.

Prior to that, there had been a bad run in a 5.5 month period. First, Wilson was arrested for murder in CA. It was alleged he had killed his aunt's boyfriend (who had just beat her unconscious with a hammer and urinated on her, and was about .23 drunk). It has been speculated that the gun that was involved was the victim's assault rifle (he already had a felony conviction for illegal assault weapons, and he emerged from his garage, not his house, after someone had warned him that Wilson had arrived). The bullet entered under the chin or neck and exited from the eye, indicating a possible struggle. There were no witnesses, to my knowledge. Wilson was acquitted as not guilty by 12 jurors (voting 12-0 for acquittal). Prior to that, Wilson, who is black, had had another trial which resulted in a hung jury with an all-white jury voting 11-1 for acquittal.

A month later, a player who had been with Wilson and had been put on a zero tolerance policy, was charged with throwing a beer bottle at someone at 3am behind a bar. He was kicked off the team. He was later found not guilty at a trial. By then, he had also been charged with a minor assault and was not allowed back on the team.

A bit later, another player had a minor partner assault charge brought against him. I heard it was bogus but never saw how it ended. He never played for the Griz again, if my recollection is correct.

Then, 3 current players and a former player were charged with an attempted house burglary of a minor drug dealer. They were suspended immediately, lost their scholarships I believe, and never practiced or played a down again.

Prior to that, in about 4.5 years, UM and Hauck had had almost no publicized incidents, other than Hauck had thrown a pre-season all-american cornerback not recruited by him off the team for flashing a gun at another car from the car he was riding in. He finished his senior year at a smaller school, and is now a coach at Central Washington.

To me, that says UM, with Hauck in his 7th year, has had one house burglary, two fights, one alleged partner assault, one minor assault charge by a former player, and one player kicked off the team for flashing a gun. Except for the two players who were never charged with anything, none of these players ever played a down for the Griz again. That Aggie troll can post thug-u all he wants, but the facts don't support his posts. Many schools have had alot more legal problems over a 7-season period than UM has had.

And yes, UM had one guy charged with DUI twice, but one was bogus and dropped and he plead per se to the other. He was suspended for two games for the DUI he plead to.

mlbowl
September 25th, 2009, 02:37 AM
The Griz envy flu is running rampant...I suggest immediate vaccination!

Ronbo
September 25th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Wow, I thought posting the article would drum up some spirited arguing but this has surpassed all my expectations. xlolx

Native
September 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I don't recall anyone ever arguing that the Griz didn't benefit from Boise State and Nevada leaving. What I don't understand is why "certain" fan bases have to bring it up ad naseum whenever our accomplishments are mentioned, just to try and bring us down a notch. Would we have won the CAA in 2005? Doubtful. In 1998? Doubtful. Will we ever actually know? No

...... xpeacex

xlolx xlolx xlolx

When Griz fans bring up Griz accomplishments ad nauseum, expect someone to bring up a counter point.

mlbowl
September 25th, 2009, 09:17 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

When Griz fans bring up Griz accomplishments ad nauseum, expect someone to bring up a counter point.

I'm just throwing this out there...If you think the Griz love threads are a little too abundant and tired...DON'T OPEN THEM!!!...just a thought

Native
September 25th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I'm just throwing this out there...If you think the Griz love threads are a little too abundant and tired...DON'T OPEN THEM!!!...just a thought

Hello? Note that I am not the one beating the dead horse. I enjoy the threads and admire the griz program. I just think some of the fans get a little one-way sometimes.

Ronbo
September 25th, 2009, 09:25 AM
The only Love in this thread was from the Arizona writer. The remainder has been fans from other schools putting down the program and Griz fans being put on the defensive and trying to defend our program. Wow, I would have never thought (sarcasim) xlolx how predictable you guys are.xrulesxxoopsxxnonoxxnonono2x

srgrizizen
September 25th, 2009, 10:40 AM

Aggiemba is obviously not over his team's loss, so it makes him feel better to believe they lost to a gang of thugs. It doesn't hold up, but why bother to refute it? Whatever gets him through his disappointment. xpeacex

Grizzaholic
September 25th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Hello? Note that I am not the one beating the dead horse. I enjoy the threads and admire the griz program. I just think some of the fans get a little one-way sometimes.

And the Weber St. fans are just choir boys. xrolleyesx

MPLSGRIZZLY
September 25th, 2009, 01:19 PM
It isn't the same for both. Blood does thicken. If you're used to the cold and have a game plan for the cold, you have an advantage over a team that is not used to the cold and runs an offense geared around conditions where you can grip the ball.

Even though it goes against the argument for the Griz, I have to agree with Hen on this. There is no doubt weather can be a large part of the homefield advantage. LSU is one of the toughest places to play, especially when it's 95 degrees with 90% humidity. And I'm pretty sure the freezing cold weather at Lambeau field has had it's hand in a few GB wins over the years.

If I remember correctly, it was quite a bit colder than 20 degrees for the Wofford playoff game. Probably had something to do with their turnovers in the first half that we couldn't capitalize on.

Grizo406
September 25th, 2009, 11:10 PM

Well, you seem to be the one that's fixated on gang signs, and all things thug about Montana, so why don't you tell me?

Here's a little somethin', somethin' for your efforts...in case you forgot.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/media_item.aspx?n=8235&m=18

Proud Griz Man
September 26th, 2009, 01:21 AM

Big hole? Delaware wants in? xlolx