PDA

View Full Version : WSU suffers season ending injury

I Bleed Purple
September 22nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
Second leading receiver, TE Cody Nakamura, is done for the year with various *CL tears in his knee. Hoping for a medical red shirt given it's his senior year.

Big blow to WSU.

uofmman1122
September 22nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Ouch...He's a huge threat, too.

Hopefully he's granted an extra year.

UNCBears2010
September 22nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
Tough for WSU, but as a fan of a team that has already lost two starting WRs and one, possibly two, senior O-linemen for the season, I can't really feel that sorry for them.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
There have been a lot of season ending injuries, seems like a lot of them this year than in the past. :(

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
I might be able to swing the MSU vs WSU game on Oct. 3rd, anyone else going? Got an extra ticket for someone wearing maroon? :D

JALMOND
September 22nd, 2009, 04:24 PM
Second leading receiver, TE Cody Nakamura, is done for the year with various *CL tears in his knee. Hoping for a medical red shirt given it's his senior year.

Big blow to WSU.

That is big. Hate to hear about things like that.

Kind of along the same line, Portland State lost senior right guard Moses Punzal to a broken ankle six plays into the Montana game. Punzal had twice as many starts on the offensive line in his PSU career than any of the current offensive linemen for the Vikings. Big blow for us.

grizband
September 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
That is big. Hate to hear about things like that.

Kind of along the same line, Portland State lost senior right guard Moses Punzal to a broken ankle six plays into the Montana game. Punzal had twice as many starts on the offensive line in his PSU career than any of the current offensive linemen for the Vikings. Big blow for us.
Hate to hear about that, hopefully he heals quickly. What is the backup situation like at PSU for the offensive line?

hawkssb04
September 22nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
While losing Nakamura is a huge loss, it is the cumulative loss of many players that may hurt the Wildcats. WSU is trying to rush WR Mike Phillips back into the lineup after hearing this news, and hopefully not too soon. Losing Nakamura can't be good for WR Tim Toone either, given how well the two of them complimented eachother when opposing defenses key in on one or the other.
On the defensive side of the ball, DT Ryan Eastman is still going to miss several weeks and Kevin Linehan isn't 100 percent after going down with an injury against Idaho State as well. So far, WSU has been able to get to the quarterback on a consistent basis, but not enough to make offenses terrified just yet. The quicker WSU gets those two back in the lineup the better. The Montana game isn't too far off and Montana State at home in a few weeks won't be easy either.
What helped aid WSU's success last year was their blessing of avoiding injuries and this year they seem to be piling up. Let's see how they respond...

WyomingGrizFan
September 23rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
Montana State at home in a few weeks won't be easy

sorry to hear about the injuries. I'd much rather play you guys when you're a 100 % healthy across the board. Makes the victories all that more satisfying.

Besides which, you must be the only guys in the entire nation worrying about playing the Bobcats. I mean, come on, 23 - 20 over Dixie St. Geez. I'd give Weber a 50 point handicap on that one.

CopperCat
September 23rd, 2009, 09:21 PM
sorry to hear about the injuries. I'd much rather play you guys when you're a 100 % healthy across the board. Makes the victories all that more satisfying.

Besides which, you must be the only guys in the entire nation worrying about playing the Bobcats. I mean, come on, 23 - 20 over Dixie St. Geez. I'd give Weber a 50 point handicap on that one.

Lest you forget, our entire secondary is banged up. Not only that, we were playing lots of backups in that game at every position. The Dixie game was not a true indication of how good the defense really is. Still not an excuse for how horrible we played.

Seems like there are a few select teams in the BSC that are dealing with some big injuries to key players. I guess you just have to have faith in your second string and grow them the best you can with the time alotted between games.

Native
September 23rd, 2009, 10:13 PM

Based on this week's Sagarin ratings, the spread would not quite be 5 points in Weber's favor.

ncbears
September 23rd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Lest you forget, our entire secondary is banged up. Not only that, we were playing lots of backups in that game at every position. The Dixie game was not a true indication of how good the defense really is. Still not an excuse for how horrible we played.

Seems like there are a few select teams in the BSC that are dealing with some big injuries to key players. I guess you just have to have faith in your second string and grow them the best you can with the time alotted between games.

Don't you get most of your secondary back this week?

hawkssb04
September 23rd, 2009, 11:35 PM

Agreed. However, injuries are always a difficult excuse to fall behind, given that all teams deal with them. Some years are worse than others though, which WSU is finding out first-hand. I'm sure some degree of their success last year can be attributed to the unusual amount of health they enjoyed. This year will make them have to prove that isn't so.

PhantomCAT
September 24th, 2009, 05:00 PM
MSU was eaten alive by the injury bug in the 2008 season. We've had some bumps and bruises this year already too, but not on the scale of 08 or WSU and NCU.

cats2506
September 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Don't you get most of your secondary back this week?

Retoriono willl be back, he played in the Dixie game with a pillow wrapped around his arm, He has moved to CB and should be close to 100% although some limited arm movement still.

Nicol (CB) will be back and that will be a big boost.

the other CB was lost for the season.

Davis (DE) should be back and Fletcher (DE) is healthy again.