PDA

View Full Version : Murray State tabs new head coach

jsugamecock98
December 13th, 2005, 07:41 AM
"Murray State University selected Matt Griffin as the school’s head football coach, Director of Athletics Allen Ward announced today from the Murray Room at the Regional Special Events Center on the MSU campus. Griffin comes to Murray State after serving as head coach at the University of Tennessee at Martin for three seasons"

What are your thoughts on raiding fellow conference institutions to fill your coaching openings?

OL FU
December 13th, 2005, 07:46 AM
"Murray State University selected Matt Griffin as the school’s head football coach, Director of Athletics Allen Ward announced today from the Murray Room at the Regional Special Events Center on the MSU campus. Griffin comes to Murray State after serving as head coach at the University of Tennessee at Martin for three seasons"

What are your thoughts on raiding fellow conference institutions to fill your coaching openings?

Fair Game. The coach that in large part started Furman on its road to success in the early 70's, Art Baker, was stolen by our arch-rival the Citadel. That sat like a load of S**T with the FU fans. But we got over pretty quickly because Coach Baker was so respected. Interesting fact, I think I am right here, Baker was FU for five years, I think, and at the Citadel for four and never won a Furman/Citadel game.

UNH_ORACLE
December 13th, 2005, 08:16 AM
A UNH guy watch out...

Golden Eagle
December 13th, 2005, 08:23 AM
What kind of a crazy pick was this? Sure, he had a decent year this season. But prior to this season he was 4-19 at Martin.

bigbluetiger
December 13th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Althought their record may not have reflected it, each year UTM got better under this coach. UTM is a tough place to win given the reduced schollys in hte past.

OSRacer
December 13th, 2005, 10:45 AM
I was surprised by the hire, but I guess you gotta trust the (relatively new) AD at this point and hope that this he is making the correct choice. Murray is way down right now and I think we needed to hire someone that is going to sell enthusiasm and the program. From what I have heard Grifffin may be that guy...Murray has the potential to win big and I'm not so sure that he would be able to to that at UTM. When Houston Nutt was hired in 92, he was not one of the 5 finalists but was a late addition. He was not a popular choice among some followers because he was probably the least known coach of the 5 and was a recievers coach at Arkansas. 3 years later Murray is undefeated and ranked in the top 5. I think this out of the box thinking may help MSU reach their potential. I hope so anyway....

We cannot possibl perfrom any worse than we did this past season and there is some talent on that team...