PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Week - Week 4

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 11:54 AM
What is the I-AA game of the week?

Worth mentioning as an interest piece, the battle for DC (Georgetown v Howard) and Baltimore (Towson v Morgan) are both taking place this weekend. :)

KAUMASS
September 21st, 2009, 12:17 PM
All excellent games in their own right, but UD/ W&M is top dog. UD/W&M start the first round of playoffs for the CAA South.

TheValleyRaider
September 21st, 2009, 12:20 PM
The answer is definitely Delaware at William & Mary. Top 25 matchup with a Top 5 team in the Tribe, should be fun xnodx

And...uhh...Monmouth-Old Dominion? xeyebrowx

WMTribe90
September 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM
Close call between UD/WM and Liberty/JMU. I went with the later. Must win if Liberty hopes to make the playoffs. And a near must win for JMU, who can't afford a second loss with the entire CAA slate (and no bye week) in front of them.

DOME
September 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM
I went with UD/WM of those choices. But I'm really anxious to see how UNI goes on the road and opens conference play.
MO State isn't terrible and they always want to beat us!

WestCoastAggie
September 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Liberty/JMU has MAJOR playoff implications!

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM
And...uhh...Monmouth-Old Dominion? xeyebrowx
Another weak week and this is ODU's (3-0) first game against a DI schollie team. A win here and those Gardner-Webb boys start sweating my bet for next year. xsmiley_wix

UMass922
September 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
Some pretty good games this week. I voted for JMU-Liberty, since I like intriguing OOC matchups and this one should be a good indicator game for Liberty.

Samford-ASU and of course UD-W&M are the other two games I really like.

Jackman
September 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
I think the CAA Game of the Week is Delaware @W&M, but the FCS Game of the Week is JMU @Liberty. Bigger implications for everyone if Liberty wins that game and makes a case for a playoff spot.

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM
Bigger implications for everyone if Liberty wins that game and makes a case for a playoff spot.
Good observation. If Liberty can win this game and take one of the at-larges, that would be huge around the entire subdivision.

appirishmen
September 21st, 2009, 12:45 PM
for me its the app game. if we lost this one...it will be a loooooong season.

Dukie95
September 21st, 2009, 12:47 PM
Good observation. If Liberty can win this game and take one of the at-larges, that would be huge around the entire subdivision.

Even if Liberty wins they'll probably still need to sweep the Big South. This game isn't Liberty's automatic ticket in, but Liberty probably can't get in without this win.

I voted WM/UD. This could help clear the log jam at the top of the CAA standings.

ASUG8
September 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM
Some good choices, but I think I'll go with the homies. If ASU doesn't pull this one off at home it will define the season. Samford I think is a solid team, but App needs to make a statement this week that they're back if they're to have any chance at a playoff run.

JMU/Liberty should be a good one too along with Delaware/Bill & Mary.

89Hen
Even if Liberty wins they'll probably still need to sweep the Big South. This game isn't Liberty's automatic ticket in, but Liberty probably can't get in without this win.
That goes without saying, but I honestly don't see a Big South game they should lose.

Ivytalk
I went with Delaware at W&M. Montana-NAU was tempting -- that could be an upset special.

Brown at Harvard is the Ivy GOTW!xnodx

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 12:52 PM
What is the I-AA game of the week?

Worth mentioning as an interest piece, the battle for DC (Georgetown v Howard) and Baltimore (Towson v Morgan) are both taking place this weekend. :)

NC A&T @ Coastal Carolina also

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM
xconfusedx

Big Al
September 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM
I thought about Liberty/JMU but I don't think Liberty will be competitive, therefore I went with UD/W&M which should be a better game.

MSU_77
September 21st, 2009, 01:10 PM
I went with Samford @ App. Big win for the Apps this week to get back on track. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
September 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM
Close call between UD/WM and Liberty/JMU. I went with the later. Must win if Liberty hopes to make the playoffs. And a near must win for JMU, who can't afford a second loss with the entire CAA slate (and no bye week) in front of them.

Some pretty good games this week. I voted for JMU-Liberty, since I like intriguing OOC matchups and this one should be a good indicator game for Liberty.

Samford-ASU and of course UD-W&M are the other two games I really like.

I think the CAA Game of the Week is Delaware @W&M, but the FCS Game of the Week is JMU @Liberty. Bigger implications for everyone if Liberty wins that game and makes a case for a playoff spot.

I agree - the JMU/Liberty game is pretty much for the playoffs for Liberty. Lose this game, and lose it by a few scores, and they pretty much can write off the playoffs for this year, even if they run the table after this. Plus, JMU can't really afford two OOC losses before they even hit the CAA schedule. Granted, they don't need OOC wins to win the CAA, but it would tend to make their margin pretty thin.

JayJ79
September 21st, 2009, 01:30 PM
MO State isn't terrible and they always want to beat us!

Are there teams that DON'T want to beat us?
(not saying there are that many that CAN, but I'm sure they all want to. haha)

WestCoastAggie
September 21st, 2009, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by R.A.

xconfusedx

It's a BIG game for us. xwhistlex

Big Al
September 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM
Yeah, all the theoretical implications are fun to think about but who here really thinks Liberty has a reasonable shot at toppling JMU? I just don't see it happening.

I agree - the JMU/Liberty game is pretty much for the playoffs for Liberty. Lose this game, and lose it by a few scores, and they pretty much can write off the playoffs for this year, even if they run the table after this. Plus, JMU can't really afford two OOC losses before they even hit the CAA schedule. Granted, they don't need OOC wins to win the CAA, but it would tend to make their margin pretty thin.

Buzzcut
September 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM
Went with UD/W&M game. I see the Tribe taking care of business on this one.

TheValleyRaider
September 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM
Yeah, all the theoretical implications are fun to think about but who here really thinks Liberty has a reasonable shot at toppling JMU? I just don't see it happening.

The game is in Lynchburg, and JMU was beaten at Coastal the year after winning the National Championship. It's hardly out of the realm of possibility

jmufan999
September 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
UD vs. W&M, because we'll really learn a lot about both teams.

jmufan999
September 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM
The game is in Lynchburg, and JMU was beaten at Coastal the year after winning the National Championship. It's hardly out of the realm of possibility

your location says you're in Texas. you do realize how close Lynchburg and Harrisonburg are, right?

JMU Newbill
September 21st, 2009, 01:49 PM
I voted for UD vs. W&M.

GannonFan
September 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM

I agree, but there's still the chance of any given Saturday and the implications of such would be a big deal. Liberty wins this game and that's almost paramount to Liberty making the playoffs (assuming they win out) and the CAA potentially losing an at large bid. Pretty significant, even if the probability is very low.

Native
September 21st, 2009, 02:08 PM
Lots of very interesting games this weekend, but not too many make-or-break matches unless one of the listed teams should make an unexpected conquest.

Weber at Portland State should be interesting. I Iexpect it to be more of a contest than some of the listed games.

Since Weber lost its first two contests, the Wildcats will be on the bubble for the rest of the season. Too early to tell, but it looks like Idaho State may have been the only gimme on the schedule.

elon77
September 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM
Wanted to be a homer and say GSU-Elon, but Bill & that women vs the chickens is a darn good match up. If I was home I probably would go, but I will be in God's country , ELON.

Skjellyfetti
September 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Voted JMU - Liberty.

I'll be attending Delaware - William and Mary.

th0m
September 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM
Hands down Delaware - W&M

TheValleyRaider
September 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
your location says you're in Texas. you do realize how close Lynchburg and Harrisonburg are, right?

I'm in Texas, but from the East Coast. I'm aware of how close the two are. That being said, a road game is a road game, and Liberty can fill seats without the Dukes xtwocentsx

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 02:35 PM
I'll be attending Delaware - William and Mary.
xoopsx Now I'm really bummed I'm not going to be there.

Saint3333
September 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM

+1xthumbsupx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 21st, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'll take Liberty-JMU...whoever loses the game, their playoff chances look pretty grim.

19Duke97
September 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
Gotta go with UD v W&M, prob better matchup than JMU v Liberty. I am not convinced Liberty is ready to play with the big boys. Though their new QB is making it interesting...

Silenoz
September 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM
Samford - ASU

I'm curious to see, both, how ASU responds to the MSU game, and how good Samford really is

darell1976
September 21st, 2009, 04:14 PM
Who else UND @SFA!! Go SIOUX!!!!

MSUBear42
September 21st, 2009, 04:17 PM
UNI @ Missouri State will be a good game, not game of the week, but it will be an interesting game.

Gil Dobie
September 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM
I went with Delawhere and Will & Mary. The game could have the most affect on the polls.

Pant8her
September 21st, 2009, 06:32 PM
I voted for the Delaware v Wm&Mary, but something tells me the NDSU v SIU game could tell signs in the MVC

LacesOut
September 21st, 2009, 07:22 PM
Georgia Southern at Elon.

bjtheflamesfan
September 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM
I voted for Liberty-JMU partly because Im a homer but also I think that this has not only a potential impact on the polls but has major implications on the playoffs. This is probably the last game all year where the Flames will potentially be an underdog and this is also their chance to get a legit win with long lasting effect (YSU last year did not finish well). JMU probably will have to win simply because of the tough nature of the CAA and they could end up missing the playoffs as a result.

Dukie95
September 21st, 2009, 09:29 PM
I voted for Liberty-JMU partly because Im a homer but also I think that this has not only a potential impact on the polls but has major implications on the playoffs. This is probably the last game all year where the Flames will potentially be an underdog and this is also their chance to get a legit win with long lasting effect (YSU last year did not finish well). JMU probably will have to win simply because of the tough nature of the CAA and they could end up missing the playoffs as a result.

JMU still has a very tough slate in the CAA. They could lose to Liberty and lose just two more CAA games (not at all unlikely) to finish 7-4 (or worse).

Then, JMU is out and Liberty is once again clinging to a win whose value depreciated over the course of the season.

If Liberty wins, they need to find some time to come to Harrisonburg and cheer on the Dukes for the remainder of the season. ;)

That said, a 10-1 Liberty team would be tough to leave out, in reality.

NG33
September 21st, 2009, 11:29 PM
JMU still has a very tough slate in the CAA. They could lose to Liberty and lose just two more CAA games (not at all unlikely) to finish 7-4 (or worse).

Then, JMU is out and Liberty is once again clinging to a win whose value depreciated over the course of the season.

If Liberty wins, they need to find some time to come to Harrisonburg and cheer on the Dukes for the remainder of the season. ;)

That said, a 10-1 Liberty team would be tough to leave out, in reality.

Ya IF Liberty beats JMU, I can see there being a few more JMU fans walking the streets of Lynchburg :D

ASU_MBA
September 21st, 2009, 11:51 PM
Delaware vs. W&M for me....I want to see if William & Mary is overrated, which I believe they are....

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 22nd, 2009, 02:51 AM
I like OOC games, and there are unfortunately mostly in conference games on the list for the poll. Homerism aside, I went with JMU-Liberty for reasons already stated in the thread.

JMU Newbill
September 22nd, 2009, 06:08 AM
Anyone has a shot against JMU depending on which MM shows up.

zymergy
September 22nd, 2009, 06:42 AM
I went with UD/W&M because it impacts rankings and the CAA playoff race.

The JMU/Liberty game would have been my 2nd choice. Huge implications for both teams.

I also wanted to go with ASU/Samford because ASU needs to win and win big, or at least show some signs they are as goods as the past years teams.

jmu007
September 22nd, 2009, 06:56 AM
I voted JMU @ Liberty for the FCS Playoff implications as well. Wish the Delaware @ William & Mary had been an afternoon kickoff so I could've seen both. Oh well.

Tribe4SF
September 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Just giving this a.....BUMP!

JMU_71
September 23rd, 2009, 12:56 PM

I could not agree more, but for sheer match up possibilities I've got to go with the Hens v. The Tribe.

JMU_71
September 23rd, 2009, 01:03 PM

Yeah, let's not bring that up ever again!

Mikeyosef
September 23rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
The UD W&M game is probably the most intersting game in FCS and I could have voted for that game. The JMU Liberty game will be interesing to JMU folks but IMO should be a cake walk for JMU so, not so interesting to me. Being an App fan and knowing what the expectations where for our team prior to our loss to McNeese I have to vote for App v. Sanford. Game could go either way. Anything less than a big win for ASU will just end with more questions. A loss and you can likely write us out of the Playoffs and the SoCon championship. That would be big news in the FCS. Not to mention a win for Sanford could signal a Sea change in our conference. I'm still betting heavily on App State coming out and making a statement. But, any App fan not on the edge of their seats for this one doesn't understand this game's risks/rewards.

I-AA Fan
September 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Look, way too many homer picks here:

NDSU & SIU is for a top spot in the conference. UD/Tribe is only to see if the Hens make Thanksgiving plans to be home with family. The second best game there is out of the SoCon ...Georgia Southern at Elon ...as people want to find out which one (if either) has no shot at the play-off. Another of interest is if ASU cannot wrap this game up ...they are probably done for the season.

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
UD/Tribe is only to see if the Hens make Thanksgiving plans to be home with family. The second best game there is out of the SoCon ...Georgia Southern at Elon ...as people want to find out which one (if either) has no shot at the play-off.
Your reasoning makes NO sense whatsoever. If the Hens beat W&M, they have a tough road to make the playoffs.

I-AA Fan
September 23rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Your reasoning makes NO sense whatsoever. If the Hens beat W&M, they have a tough road to make the playoffs.

Correct ...and if they do not ....

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Correct ...and if they do not ....
They're in the same boat as the loser of the Elon/GSU game, hence, your reasoning makes little sense as to why Elon/GSU is more important than UD/W&M. If you think that it will be a better game, that's one thing. xpeacex

BDKJMU
September 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM

xeyebrowx Obviously some sort of joke there. xconfusedx

I-AA Fan
September 23rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
They're in the same boat as the loser of the Elon/GSU game, hence, your reasoning makes little sense as to why Elon/GSU is more important than UD/W&M. If you think that it will be a better game, that's one thing. xpeacex

Quite true, and a good point, but only one of those four teams is 3-0 ...and can really take a loss. I tell you what though ...I am interested in the UD/W&M result to see just how good Richmond is ...as I see Nova, UMass, JMU, and UNH as pre-ordained. Although the Spiders title probably place UNH on the outside this year. Also, I suspect that neither NDSU nor UNI will win the MVFC this year ...maybe not even second for either club. These are just gut feelings in an early season.

I-AA Fan
September 23rd, 2009, 05:51 PM
xeyebrowx Obviously some sort of joke there. xconfusedx

Not really. I do not know your age, but the Aggies are a traditional MEAC power & have a play-off history. Coastal's history is a bit more recent. Yet both clubs are supposed to have "something" this year. So far, I am impressed with A&T.

BDKJMU
September 23rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Quite true, and a good point, but only one of those four teams is 3-0 ...and can really take a loss. I tell you what though ...I am interested in the UD/W&M result to see just how good Richmond is ...as I see Nova, UMass, JMU, and UNH as pre-ordained. Although the Spiders title probably place UNH on the outside this year. Also, I suspect that neither NDSU nor UNI will win the MVFC this year ...maybe not even second for either club. These are just gut feelings in an early season.

Those 4 are preordained but not UR?xnutsx What are you smoking? xconfusedx

runHENrun
September 23rd, 2009, 07:38 PM

In my opinion UNI owns the MVFC this year and finishes the season as a winner in Chatty.

SU Jag
September 23rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hens vs Tribe gets my vote! Tennessee State vs FAMU will be the largest attended FCS game of the weekend. The Georgia Dome will be rocking!

McNeese75
September 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Hens vs Tribe gets my vote! Tennessee State vs FAMU will be the largest attended FCS game of the weekend. The Georgia Dome will be rocking!

Better hope the rain quits over there xnodx

Pant8her
September 23rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
In my opinion UNI owns the MVFC this year and finishes the season as a winner in Chatty.

While that would be nice for UNI fans, I agree to a point (I-AA Fan) that UNI may not win the MVFC. There are some tough games for them two on the road at NDSU and SDSU, with SIU sandwiched between them. Those three weeks will tell us alot on UNI's strength. Personally I have a feeling SDSU is primed to march through the MVC. SDSU's schedule has all the tough games at home.xsmhx

Peace

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Better hope the rain quits over there xnodx
Yikes, that could be a problem. How many college football games have we had cancelled because of weather in the past 7 years? Seems like more than the previous 70. :(

GaSouthern
September 24th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I expect Appy to have their hands full with Samford but pull out the win, I am going to go with Del vs. W&M this week though!

MasonJar
September 24th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Georgia Southern at Elon.

I agree, however it is hard to overlook UD and W&M. Both match-ups are probably of equal importance in my book.

Maybe GaSouthern is down more than I give them credit for this year, and maybe Elon is up more than I give them credit.xchinscratchxxconfusedx Either way, I think the GaSouthern/Elon match-up has the most effect on the playoff picture (from a SoCon perspective) than the others, especially if the SoCon is a one bid league this year.

JMU or Liberty could be hurting as well
xdizzyx

Don't want to talk about App right nowxdohxxwhistlex

I-AA Fan
September 24th, 2009, 02:07 PM
While that would be nice for UNI fans, I agree to a point (I-AA Fan) that UNI may not win the MVFC. There are some tough games for them two on the road at NDSU and SDSU, with SIU sandwiched between them. Those three weeks will tell us alot on UNI's strength. Personally I have a feeling SDSU is primed to march through the MVC. SDSU's schedule has all the tough games at home.xsmhx

Peace

I am on the same page. Besides ...player losses (UNI) mean much more in-conference than OOC. When a team plays OOC, it is mostly about the differences in style. (aka Ohio State vs. Florida. Where there more skilled players on FL? The NFL sure did not think so). Therefore, a skilled player of slightly less experience may not mean as much, because everyone has the same learning curve again new O's and D's. When you play in conference ... you had better run, because there is no where to hide. Your opponents spend more than 4 days in prep for you ...like you, they build a team around the other conference clubs. I see some key Panther losses from last year as having an impact that may only be seen in conference play.

I the opposite issue with SDSU, and especially SIU. I think the Salukis lost what ...1 starter on defense? SIU will win or lose playing the same ball they have in recent years. I see SDSU's success due to the coaches staying with a more western offense, and they have the experience to implement it. However, with ILS, YSU, ISU, SMS, and to a degree WIU moving in a similar direction (spread option) ...who knows? I suspect the xDSU's will ride high for a short while, but in a few years ...probably not so high. NDSU could be in their down swing right now.