PDA

View Full Version : McNeese vs Tulane

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2009, 04:06 PM
We need a thread on this game...can't go much longer without one!

For pure entertainment this week, visit http://yogwf.netinteraction.com/viewforum.php?f=2

And here's an example of quotes from their fans...

You are McNeese. Maybe you can beat us in a football game. We're going to have to play better than we have to win. But there is nothing about your school and your football program or anything else to make a Tulane fan feel insecure.

GEAUX COWBOYS! Beat the Wave!

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM
xthumbsupxxthumbsupx GEAUX Cowboys! xnodxxnodx

Definitely looking to catch this game this weekend, and the tailgating beforehand.

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Wish I could attend...already 'booked' for Saturday.

Will try to follow the game online and via the radio once I get 'available'. Looking forward to how grim it will sound via the radio! ;)

DG Cowboy
September 20th, 2009, 07:42 PM
"And here's an example of quotes from their fans..."

Well, it was surely great to have a week on AGS with classy fans from Appalachian State!

Obviously, one Tulane fan has become inebriated by the exuberance of his own verbosity.

Dang, ah reckom i'ma haf 't ware sum shues saterday at thuh Dom.

JohnStOnge
September 20th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Incredibly, I've found that at least one McNeese fan doesn't like this outlook. But I look at this game as very important for playoff positioning. First of all, a win would mean three non conference D-I wins with one being over aCUSA FBS and one being over Appalachian State. That would put McNeese in good position for an at large bid should the Cowboys not get the Southland's automatic bid. Basically, they'd have to finish at least 4-3 in the Southland. That would put them at 8-3 overall and 7-3 against D-I with those two quality wins. Naturally, I hope they do a lot better than that in the Southland. But, to me, this is a HUGE opportunity for McNeese to enhance its hopes for getting into post season play.

As some on the McNeese board have pointed out, it's big for recruiting as well.

But, make no mistake, this is a very difficult challenge. I watched Tulane on TV against Tulsa and they have some guys that are, by FCS standards, real studs on the defensive line. Also, McNeese's own defensive line is very small (D ends in the 230s and one D tackle at 250). This is going to be a tough matchup on the line of scrimmage.

McNeese72
September 20th, 2009, 10:59 PM
"And here's an example of quotes from their fans..."

Well, it was surely great to have a week on AGS with classy fans from Appalachian State!

Obviously, one Tulane fan has become inebriated by the exuberance of his own verbosity.

Dang, ah reckom i'ma haf 't ware sum shues saterday at thuh Dom.

Sigh, this would have been a good game to do some major league sandbagging with those better-than-thou Tulane fans. But too many McNeese fans have already gone in there with an in-your-face type attitudes and ruined a good sandbagging opportunity.

I'd have much rathered to have gone on the board telling them how great they are and how I hope we can just compete. Then having them wonder on Sunday (if we got lucky) what the hell happened.

Doc

DG Cowboy
September 21st, 2009, 08:27 AM
Sigh, this would have been a good game to do some major league sandbagging with those better-than-thou Tulane fans. But too many McNeese fans have already gone in there with an in-your-face type attitudes and ruined a good sandbagging opportunity.

I'd have much rathered to have gone on the board telling them how great they are and how I hope we can just compete. Then having them wonder on Sunday (if we got lucky) what the hell happened.

Doc

If that is your style, go for it. It isn't mine.

FormerPokeCenter
September 21st, 2009, 08:42 AM
If that is your style, go for it. It isn't mine.

Sandbagging is a time honored tradition. If done right, it's an artform. Doc is a seasoned and accomplished practitioner of the art.

If you like talking smack, that's fine. It has its place. Heck, even I've been known to engage in smack from time to time ;) But, I gotta tell you, there's very little that's as satisfying as going on a message board, sandbagging and agreeing with the oponent's faithful fans that your team has NO chance of competing, let alone winning, then going back the day after and watching the collective meltdown that occurs after your inferior team lays one on them.

This was particularly satisfying after USL and, to a lesser degree, ULM.

It was pretty sweet after close games at North Carolina, Texas A&M, etc...

It's a nuanced artfrom, an acquired taste, but I can assure you that it's more rewarding in it's own way, than an in-your-face smackdown.

Doc's correct. Tulane would be the perfect place to sandbag delicate hoity toity Greenwave fans. When you do it, just be sure to bring plenty of popcorn when you log on the next day to watch the show, ya know?

McNeese75
September 21st, 2009, 08:42 AM
If that is your style, go for it. It isn't mine

Yeah we noticed. Between you and McTailgator you have all the natives stirred up. If things don't go our way Saturday guess who we will be sacrificing to the Green Wave Football Gods!! xnodx (Not to mention if their Coach decides to borrow some of your posts for their locker room board).

This game is absolutly NOT a lock for the Cowboys. It the blue and gold do not bring their A game it could turn ugly.

ASUG8
September 21st, 2009, 09:14 AM
Yeah, you McNeese guys on this site are masters of sandbagging - you practically had ASU fans mailing our game in xbawlingx. I hope you kick the crap out of them and represent FCS well. Geaux pokes! xthumbsupx

buckp
September 21st, 2009, 09:23 AM
This game is absolutly NOT a lock for the Cowboys. It the blue and gold do not bring their A game it could turn ugly.

True....and I hope playing in the Dome is not a distraction for us.

msusig
September 21st, 2009, 09:35 AM
McNeese 24
Tulane 17

Tulane is a sorry excuse for a FBS team and should drop to the FCS just to compete in football. They even had to disband the team for their Wednesday practice because the team wasn't performing. What a joke.xlolx Can't wait to watch the game in the superdome.

DG Cowboy
September 21st, 2009, 09:43 AM
"But there is nothing about your school and your football program or anything else to make a Tulane fan feel insecure. "

Well, y'all have fun sandbagging to this. I'll study your artform for future reference.

edaw3099
September 21st, 2009, 09:57 AM

I agree, the defense will have to have it best game in years(scheme). The offense has to move the ball and not make mistakes to win this game. We can't expect the offense to have another near perfect game as they had against App. St. We need to start stopping people.

jonmac
September 21st, 2009, 10:01 AM
"But there is nothing about your school and your football program or anything else to make a Tulane fan feel insecure. "

Well, y'all have fun sandbagging to this. I'll study your artform for future reference.

If comments like that get under your skin then maybe you have some deep down concerns about your school. This is something that I've had to realize myself. It doesn't matter to me one bit, anymore, what someone says about ASU. I know that I'm successful because I went to ASU and no one can take that away from me because they like to belittle my school. Be proud of McNeese no matter what anyone else says. It's simply not a pissing match worth participating in. And if you sandbag 'em or ignore them then that will get to them even more than if you respond in defense. I'm pulling for you guys against the Green Wave.

FormerPokeCenter
September 21st, 2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah, you McNeese guys on this site are masters of sandbagging - you practically had ASU fans mailing our game in xbawlingx. I hope you kick the crap out of them and represent FCS well. Geaux pokes! xthumbsupx

I can promise you there was no sandbagging going on prior to App State...

I felt like we would compete well in a shootout, but I definitely didn't think I was in a position to soft-peddle in anticipation of gloating later. That was a whale of a game and we were fortunate to win...

I mean, there might have been a certain amount of sandbagging, because we're ALWAYS gonna show up and buckle the chin straps, but we really were prepared to deal with a loss at The Rock...

FormerPokeCenter
September 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM
DG, when I hear comments like that from a Tulane grad, I think about a great scene from the movie "Good Will Hunting." Matt Damon (Will) is in a bar, talking to a girl, and a presumptuous Harvard student is quoting from a Philosophy book. Damon corrects a misconception and then tells him that next semester, when he takes another course, he'll be quoting that, at least until he takes a third course, when he'll be quoting another professor.

Damon then points out that by the time the guy graduates, he'll have paid 160k for an indoctrination into other people's thoughts that he could have gotten for $2.50 cents in fines at the local public library...

Everybody has their achilles heel. That a Tulane grad took the time to post the verbiage you quoted tells an awful lot. Had he not felt insecure, he wouldn't have felt a need to "put you in your place" ;)

ASUG8
September 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM
I can promise you there was no sandbagging going on prior to App State...

I felt like we would compete well in a shootout, but I definitely didn't think I was in a position to soft-peddle in anticipation of gloating later. That was a whale of a game and we were fortunate to win...

I mean, there might have been a certain amount of sandbagging, because we're ALWAYS gonna show up and buckle the chin straps, but we really were prepared to deal with a loss at The Rock...

Many of us App fans (as many have pointed out) are guilty of the Kool-Aid that comes with the success we've had over the last few years. Throw in some comments from fans of a (then) top 15 program about how "they just want to keep it close" and are hoping to keep from getting blown out and many of us took the bait HARD xlolx You have a great program, and hope we'll get the chance to meet up with you again this season - in the meantime, we've got a lot of work to do. xnonono2x

Native
September 21st, 2009, 10:48 AM
Incredibly, I've found that at least one McNeese fan doesn't like this outlook. But I look at this game as very important for playoff positioning. First of all, a win would mean three non conference D-I wins with one being over aCUSA FBS and one being over Appalachian State. That would put McNeese in good position for an at large bid should the Cowboys not get the Southland's automatic bid. Basically, they'd have to finish at least 4-3 in the Southland. That would put them at 8-3 overall and 7-3 against D-I with those two quality wins. Naturally, I hope they do a lot better than that in the Southland. But, to me, this is a HUGE opportunity for McNeese to enhance its hopes for getting into post season play.

As some on the McNeese board have pointed out, it's big for recruiting as well.

But, make no mistake, this is a very difficult challenge. I watched Tulane on TV against Tulsa and they have some guys that are, by FCS standards, real studs on the defensive line. Also, McNeese's own defensive line is very small (D ends in the 230s and one D tackle at 250). This is going to be a tough matchup on the line of scrimmage.

The quality wins will make a difference, but it might take more than 7 DI wins to make the playoffs.

DG Cowboy
September 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM
I see that Tulane has last year's leading tackler (Corey Sonnier-safety-86 tackles) coming off his two-game suspension and also a three-time all-conference defensive tackle(Reggie Scott) coming off his two-game suspension as well. Others have been moved around during the bye week. Hopefully, we'll get a few more back also.

Prominentwon
September 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM
I figured it was just a matter of time before they started claiming scholatic superiority. I mean, really? No *****? xlolx

Prominentwon
September 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM
To add, I didn't go onto that board to talk smack. I just went over there to clean some things up a bit. There have been talk on other boards where some Tulane fans were completely belittling McNeese's football program.

I never went on that board and started talk trash and claiming an easy victory. I don't believe that to be the case. It's going to be a good game and a game Tulane is "supposed to win." But when Tulane fans start claiming that Tulane and McNeese recruit players on a completely different level, I have to laugh and go back and let them know what I think.

Rekdiver
September 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM
I'm walking out of the stadium after the McNeese loss and spoke to a cowboy fan, an older couple in their 60's. They were sitting on a stone wall on the way down from the stadium. I congratulated them on the performance of MSU and told them that I bet they were in no hurry to get back to the heat in LA. The weather in Boone was stellar that day.

The woman looked at me as she was huffing and puffing me and said, " I've had it with these mountains" I told her she's done the hard work, it was all down hill from where she was. "That's what I told her " her husband said.

Guess you had to be there... There were a lot of huffing puffing Cowboy fans that day. I guess when you spend your life at sea level and go up 3500 feet it will mess with you.

FormerPokeCenter
September 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM
I'm walking out of the stadium after the McNeese loss and spoke to a cowboy fan, an older couple in their 60's. They were sitting on a stone wall on the way down from the stadium. I congratulated them on the performance of MSU and told them that I bet they were in no hurry to get back to the heat in LA. The weather in Boone was stellar that day.

The woman looked at me as she was huffing and puffing me and said, " I've had it with these mountains" I told her she's done the hard work, it was all down hill from where she was. "That's what I told her " her husband said.

Guess you had to be there... There were a lot of huffing puffing Cowboy fans that day. I guess when you spend your life at sea level and go up 3500 feet it will mess with you.

I didn't really have any trouble in Boone, but I went to a couple of places in the parkway where the signs said the elevation was at about 4600 feet....I did some hiking and noticed that I felt a little more winded than I thought I should...interesting phenomenon ;)

McNeese75
September 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
I see that Tulane has last year's leading tackler (Corey Sonnier-safety-86 tackles) coming off his two-game suspension and also a three-time all-conference defensive tackle(Reggie Scott) coming off his two-game suspension as well. Others have been moved around during the bye week. Hopefully, we'll get a few more back also.

Did they mention that their 2nd leading tackler from last year is now on our team at a #2 DB spot behind a true Freshman. :D (And this is not a slight to the player, he is contrbuting heavily and we are glad to have him xnodx)

McNeese75
September 21st, 2009, 03:07 PM

Well if the altitude didn't get ya, those damn windy roads did xnodx xlolx

DG Cowboy
September 21st, 2009, 03:22 PM
No, Mc75, that would be admitting that they were recruiting the same kind of player as McNeese, but they wanted him before we did, if Prominentwon above is correct.

813Jag
September 21st, 2009, 03:27 PM
True....and I hope playing in the Dome is not a distraction for us.
It shouldn't be, if you have any guys that have played in state games, they've played there before. And the crowd won't be a factor. xlolx

buckp
September 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
.... And the crowd won't be a factor. xlolx

I hope it will be....for the Pokes that is. xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
September 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM

That's not good news as I already thought Tulane was pretty good on the defensive line of scrimmage after watching the Tulsa game. In my opinion Tulane's defensive front whipped Tulsa's offensive front but that advantage was negated by the mobility of the Tulsa QB. Now I find that there's an all CUSA defensive tackle that was missing. I think this game is a huge challenge for McNeese's offensive line. I hope they rise to it.

McNeese72
September 21st, 2009, 08:32 PM
Many of us App fans (as many have pointed out) are guilty of the Kool-Aid that comes with the success we've had over the last few years. Throw in some comments from fans of a (then) top 15 program about how "they just want to keep it close" and are hoping to keep from getting blown out and many of us took the bait HARD xlolx You have a great program, and hope we'll get the chance to meet up with you again this season - in the meantime, we've got a lot of work to do. xnonono2x

You guys didn't see our first game like we did. If we had played like we did in that game, it would have been a blow out. Most of us honestly thought we were in real trouble going into ASU game. The players, though, thought they had something to prove after that first game. I think the first game might have turned out to be a good thing for us.

Doc

McNeese72
September 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
I think the Tulane will a lot tougher nut to crack than a lot of the McNeese fans realize. They are getting some players back and will have two weeks to prepare for us.

Doc

appirishmen
September 21st, 2009, 09:19 PM
GEAUX COWBOYS! go kick their as*

SideLine Shooter
September 21st, 2009, 09:30 PM
Ride'm Cowboys. Best of luck to a real class program and fans.xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2009, 10:02 PM
More from the Wave...don't they realize McN plays Div I and that Tulane has been trying to put a Div I product on the field?

After reading on the Mcneese forum,its unbelievable what I was reading.( I had to stop reading) These Mcneese fans are so sure of a victory . I don't post very often , but its totally amazing reading some of this crap. (App St. is as good as Tulane, they are the second best team in La, etc... give me a break.) I never talk smack but I think these cowboys are in for a surprise. I guess they would have beat Tulsa and BYU also.. If they are so good , come play DIV 1 and see how many championships you will win. (joke) I realize we started off bad and are struggling at this point but give me a break. I really think this will be our coming out party for the season. I will be there for sure!! Roll Wave!!!!!

http://yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28631

JTCowboy
September 21st, 2009, 10:28 PM
I wonder how close Tulane would play Michigan at the big house on any given Saturday?

Cowboys will need a clean game to win this/or keep it close. Tulanes entire program is on the hot seat. To paraphrase one long time Tulane booster, "God help us if we lose to McNeese at home with two weeks to prepare. "

Tulane will be ready to play and will not take our Cowboys lightly.

appmountaineer
September 21st, 2009, 10:57 PM
good luck cowboys! Hope we meet again this year!

msusig
September 22nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
I can't wait to tailgate on Bourbon Street. I hope we have a balcony at the hotel so that I can put out my McNeese flag.

msusig
September 22nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
There was an article online in which Tulane said they are practicing for both the Army and McNeese games. So they are looking past us already to the Army game.....that's awesome.

MasonJar
September 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Quote:
You are McNeese. Maybe you can beat us in a football game. We're going to have to play better than we have to win. But there is nothing about your school and your football program or anything else to make a Tulane fan feel insecure.

Sounds like one of the first signs of BEING insecure!

And insecure they should be! Heck, I've felt like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs since our loss to McNeese! :o

Geaux Pokes!

TexasTerror
September 22nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
GEAUX COWBOYS!

A word to the wise in Tulane's Green Wave football camp - their lower-division opponent this Saturday isn't planning on coming to the Louisiana Superdome just to pick up a paycheck.

In fact, if there was an official betting line on the Wave's 2:30 p.m. contest against McNeese State, it wouldn't be a big surprise if the visiting Cowboys pushed the line to a pick ‘em. Such is the state of the two state programs who will meet for the first time Saturday.

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/local-sports-news/college-football-news/216847-louisiana-college-football-roundup-dome-divergence.html

McNeese75
September 23rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Looks like a cakewalk for the Green Wave to me :D

http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2009/09/tulanes_andre_anderson_talks_a.html (http://http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2009/09/tulanes_andre_anderson_talks_a.html)

ASUG8
September 23rd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Geaux Pokes! xthumbsupx

I-AA Fan
September 23rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Tulane is, by far, the worst team in IA ...even worse than Kent State this year. I say anything less than a 2 score win for Cowboys is a bad day.

MSU_77
September 23rd, 2009, 03:39 PM
The vaunted Sagarin ratings show Tulane as only the 16th worst FBS program, although it's not very accurate at this point of the season. McNeese is rated higher. The offshore betting lines show the game as basically a pick'em. It'll just depend on which MSU team shows up on Saturday, but there is reason for optimism.

FormerPokeCenter
September 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Looks like a cakewalk for the Green Wave to me :D

http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2009/09/tulanes_andre_anderson_talks_a.html (http://http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2009/09/tulanes_andre_anderson_talks_a.html)

Too bad he didn't talk about crushing the ants with a sledgehammer.....;)

I especially liked "they wanted to play here"....

I think he meant to say "they probably wanted to go to school here." There's a difference ;)

crossfire07
September 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
He did not give a very compelling interview. I do want him to show me that they are a D1 school though.

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Oh c'mon guys. Anderson said McNeese's defense is small but very fast. I don't see that as an insult. The "small" part is certainly true and I think the "very fast" part is too.

I don't think he showed any disrespect for McNeese at all. Yes, he said "DI." But c'mon. We know what he meant.

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Tulane is, by far, the worst team in IA ...even worse than Kent State this year. I say anything less than a 2 score win for Cowboys is a bad day.

Tulane lost to Tulsa and BYU. That would've happened to a lot of FBS teams. And it CERTAINLY would've happened to a lot of FCS teams. No, Tulane is not one of the top 25 or 30 FBS teams. But the Green Wave is a very tough opponent for any FCS team.

McNeese75
September 23rd, 2009, 08:55 PM

xeyebrowxI think everything I have seen regarding the worst FBS teams has WKU as the winner in that category.

BobcatTXST04
September 23rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
I think it will be a real test for MSU in all honesty. MSU is a very good FCS school and TU is a very bad FBS school, who is coming off of a 2-10 season with one conference win over SMU, whose only win last year was over TXST last year by the virtue of the five turnovers we spotted them.

We've seen a lot of FBS teams play close or get beat by FCS schools this season, so the line between the bottom 20% of FBS and the top 20% of FCS is blurring now. I think MSU will probably win this one, but don't expect TU to roll over and play dead when you show up. I'd prepare for a fight, but MSU gets my vote for this one.

MSU 28 - TU 24

lionsrking2
September 23rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
I think it will be a real test for MSU in all honesty. MSU is a very good FCS school and TU is a very bad FBS school, who is coming off of a 2-10 season with one conference win over SMU, whose only win last year was over TXST last year by the virtue of the five turnovers we spotted them.

We've seen a lot of FBS teams play close or get beat by FCS schools this season, so the line between the bottom 20% of FBS and the top 20% of FCS is blurring now. I think MSU will probably win this one, but don't expect TU to roll over and play dead when you show up. I'd prepare for a fight, but MSU gets my vote for this one.

MSU 28 - TU 24

We played Tulane close in '05 and '07 with a chance to win both games...this Tulane team isn't as good as either one of those...IMO, McNeese should win this one somewhere on the order of 31-27, 38-31...biggest thing for McNeese is can their D-line hold up...Bob Toledo likes to pound the ball between the tackles, especially if he thinks he has an advantage...they also have a pretty good back in Andre Anderson...if the Cowboy front seven holds their own, I'm pretty confident they'll win the ball game.

TexasTerror
September 24th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Plenty of Northshore kids on McRoster...

It seems these north shore kids can't keep away from lakes.

As Tulane bears its sights on McNeese State this week, it will be looking at a Lake Charles program that has pulled heavily from the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain over the years. Three players from the area grace the Cowboys' current roster.

Former Northshore High linebacker Nick Toti, former St. Paul's receiving star Chad Keys and Fontainebleau graduate Justin Beitzel play for McNeese State and will be back in town Saturday at the Superdome for the first meeting between Tulane and McNeese State.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-44/1253770570140380.xml&coll=1

TexasTerror
September 24th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Cowboys are confident!

With the largest indoor party in McNeese State history looming this Saturday at the Superdome, even normally reserved head coach Matt Viator said he’s feeling the excitement as the Cowboys prepare for their first-ever meeting with Tulane.

“I think it’s a great opportunity,” Viator said. “A, it’s an opportunity to go 4-0. We’d love to get a win before an open week against an FBS school. Against an in-state FBS school, that makes it even more fun.

“This is a game — it surprised me, but I guess it shouldn’t have — but I got more questions this summer and offseason about Tulane than Appalachian State. That says it all right there.”

http://www.americanpress.com/lc/blogs/wpnewssum/?p=6533

TexasTerror
September 24th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Tulane wants to end their losing skid...

Tulane football has had some proud moments in its 116-year history. However, the current year has certainly not qualified as such for the Green Wave.

Entrenched in a 10-game losing streak that dates to last Oct. 4, Tulane is desperately hungry for a win and hoping that McNeese State will represent a chance for that long-awaited meal.

“I think it’s really important (to end the losing streak),” said Tulane head coach Bob Toledo. “Our backs are kind of against the wall.”

Though his team sees Saturday’s game as an opportunity at an elusive win, by no means are they expecting it.

http://www.americanpress.com/lc/blogs/wpnewssum/?p=6536

I-AA Fan
September 24th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Tulane lost to Tulsa and BYU. That would've happened to a lot of FBS teams. And it CERTAINLY would've happened to a lot of FCS teams. No, Tulane is not one of the top 25 or 30 FBS teams. But the Green Wave is a very tough opponent for any FCS team.

I don't buy it ...Cowboys in a big way for this one. I have faith.

TexasTerror
September 25th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Love it - sorry La-Lafayette!

II. With apologies to my friends in Lafayette, you have to keep going west on I-10 to find the second-best team in Louisiana - McNeese State, who comes to the Dome Saturday to take on Tulane. After two beat-downs and an off week, the Wave needs a win in the worst way. Something tells me it won't happen. Cowboys by 3.

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/local-sports-news/college-football-news/219586-tales-of-two-quarterbacks.html

McTailGator
September 25th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I figured it was just a matter of time before they started claiming scholatic superiority. I mean, really? No *****? xlolx

Yea

My C students are about to go whip their A students @ss.

xasswhipx

McTailGator
September 25th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Love it - sorry La-Lafayette!

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/local-sports-news/college-football-news/219586-tales-of-two-quarterbacks.html

Why is he apoligizing to someone in Laafayette?

ULL isn't the 6th best team in Louisiana.xlolx

GAD
September 25th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Cowboys-27
Green Wave-17
Is this the first time McNeese has played in the Superdome?

McNeeserocket
September 25th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Cowboys-27
Green Wave-17
Is this the first time McNeese has played in the Superdome?

First time in the Super Dome and first time to play Tulane!

Prominentwon
September 25th, 2009, 08:25 PM
per YGWF...

WOW....

McNeese is basically a retread location for Barbe and Sulphur students looking to extend their glory for four more years. Think Nicholls St. West. We should not be in a position to talk talent equivalency with such a program, nor talk about playing in a hostile environment in our home stadium. I cannot accept nor comprehend losing tomorrow. Our program cannot survive a loss tomorrow.

No disrepect was intended nor could be interpreted towards the McNeese team. I'm sure their boys work hard and their families are very proud. The point of the post was to point out we weigh 70 lbs more across the line of scrimmage and the game should resemble a legitimate FBS versus a small school.

I don't see any Losmans, Fortes, Patrick Ramseys on McNeeses squad and we need to roll. No matter how poor our program we have always littered the NFL with professional quality players. That has not changed with this years team. I predict Tulane 38-7.

TexasTerror
September 25th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Do they not realize that they have narrowly defeated FCS squads the last few years? I hope you guys run them to the curb. YOGWF will be a fun board if that happens!

T-Dog
September 25th, 2009, 09:29 PM
How many people are McNeese expecting to have @ the game and how many people do Tulane average?

Prominentwon
September 25th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Rumor is 12K plus. (which is just a tad under our home average.) Unfortunately, life and responsibilities comes first and I have to work until noon tomorrow. So, I'll have to watch online!

McNeese72
September 25th, 2009, 10:21 PM
xthumbsupxxthumbsupx GEAUX Cowboys! xnodxxnodx

Definitely looking to catch this game this weekend, and the tailgating beforehand.

RabidRabbit,

Check your PM's.

Or just go here:

McNeese Alumini Tailgate for Tulane Game (http://www.mcneesealumni.com/event_details.asp?cid=447)

You'll be welcomed. Just wear you Rabbit gear. We know the colors will blend in. Hope to see you there.

Doc

RabidRabbit
September 25th, 2009, 10:25 PM
RabidRabbit,

Check your PM's.

Or just go here:

McNeese Alumini Tailgate for Tulane Game (http://www.mcneesealumni.com/event_details.asp?cid=447)

You'll be welcomed. Just wear you Rabbit gear. We know the colors will blend in. Hope to see you there.

Doc

Thanks guys! I'll work til about 11:30 then walk toward the river to party before going past office to return to SuperDome to watch a great team whup on a woofle FBS team. xthumbsupx

Tod
September 25th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Cool stuff! Go McNeese!!!!

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
September 26th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Do they not realize that they have narrowly defeated FCS squads the last few years? I hope you guys run them to the curb. YOGWF will be a fun board if that happens!

They've played three Southland teams during the 2000s. In 2003 they beat Northwestern State, which finished 1-4 in Southland play, 27-24 in overtime. In 2005 they beat Southeastern Louisiana (2-4) 28-21. In 2007 they beat Southeastern (2-5) 35-28. That history as well as the current Tulane losing streak justifies McNeese going in feeling like it has a chance to win.

However, I think the losing streak also makes Tulane more focused than it would otherwise be for a game against a FCS. See http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2009/09/pressure_builds_as_tulane_face.html . And they do have athletes as well as a substantial size advantage.

JohnStOnge
September 26th, 2009, 07:39 AM
No disrepect was intended nor could be interpreted towards the McNeese team. I'm sure their boys work hard and their families are very proud. The point of the post was to point out we weigh 70 lbs more across the line of scrimmage and the game should resemble a legitimate FBS versus a small school.

I don't see any Losmans, Fortes, Patrick Ramseys on McNeeses squad and we need to roll. No matter how poor our program we have always littered the NFL with professional quality players. That has not changed with this years team. I predict Tulane 38-7.

They've got 5 players in the NFL. McNeese has 2. 5 is within the range of I-AA/FCS production. I didn't look up all FCS teams but looked at a few and found that Northern Iowa has 6 while Maine and Western Illinois each have 5. Too bad I can't get on the Tulane board to point that out to this guy but feel free to copy and paste this over there. Regardless of what happens today, whoever wrote that is over estimating Tulane's talent level as it compares to FCS.

ASU_Fanatic
September 26th, 2009, 08:03 AM
McNeese will win. Unless Tulane knows how to defend a dump pass.

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Saw some pics on GeauxCowboys from the pre-game tailgate...

Not sure the Superdome has seen such a tailgate outside of the Bayou Classic or when LSU comes to town for a regular season college football game...definitely not used to that for a Tulane game, right? ;)

GEAUX POKES!

NSUDemon98
September 26th, 2009, 07:26 PM
They've played three Southland teams during the 2000s. In 2003 they beat Northwestern State, which finished 1-4 in Southland play, 27-24 in overtime. In 2005 they beat Southeastern Louisiana (2-4) 28-21. In 2007 they beat Southeastern (2-5) 35-28. That history as well as the current Tulane losing streak justifies McNeese going in feeling like it has a chance to win.

However, I think the losing streak also makes Tulane more focused than it would otherwise be for a game against a FCS. See http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2009/09/pressure_builds_as_tulane_face.html . And they do have athletes as well as a substantial size advantage.

We also had 3 missed FGs in that game from within 30 yards!!! Should have never been an overtime.

At least I can take solace in that fact that the winning score was J.P. Lossman to Mewelde Moore! xoopsx

We also started the season with a last minute 2-pt conversion to get the win over ULM. Team really underachieved in SLC play.

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Tough loss, Pokes...

Tulane fans were celebrating like they won the Super Bowl! It was the funniest thing ever. Glad they ended their losing streak, but wish it wasn't against the Pokes.

JohnStOnge
September 26th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Tough loss, Pokes...

Tulane fans were celebrating like they won the Super Bowl! It was the funniest thing ever. Glad they ended their losing streak, but wish it wasn't against the Pokes.

Went to the game and what I was worried about happening happened. Tulane's offensive line gave McNeese's small defensive front a lot of problems and the Green Wave's big back broke a lot of tackles.

Still, McNeese had a shot because Tulane's defense couldn't stop McNeese's offense either. From McNeese standpoint: They got a TD kickoff return called back for one of those awful "holding away from the play" penalties and had two of those plays where they made a nice run for a first down but fumbled the ball away at the end of the play. One time it happened at maybe the Tulane 29 after a run of about 15 yards on a reverse and the other time it happened inside the Tulane 15 (I think) after Fourroux made a run of about eight yards.

JohnStOnge
September 26th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I just looked up the stats and they're consistent with my impression watching the game. McNeese had more first downs (24 to 22), more rushing yards (246 to 212), and more total yards (464 to 434). But it was one of those games in which neither defense could stop the other team's offense so it was important not to miss opportunities and McNeese, I think, missed more opportunities. Getting one TD called back and fumbling the ball two times at the end of nice runs for first downs in Tulane territory pretty much did it.

I think even worse than the fumbles was McNeese getting called for unsportsmanlike conduct penalties twice in really key situation. On Tulane's first possession of the first half they had the Wave in a 2nd and 25. At that point they had momentum even though they were trailing 21-17. But a defensive tackle got called for unsportsmanlike conduct to change it to second and 10. Tulane ended up getting a first down on third down when their receiver caught a pass about 4 yards short of the first down and broke two tackles to get to the sticks. Then they went on and scored to stretch it to 28-17. That was really bad because Tulane never really stopped McNeese's offense and, before the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, they had a good chance to get the ball back in good field position with momentum and trailing by only 4.

mikebigg
September 26th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Good game McNeese...was rooting for you guys in this one.

TSUalum05
September 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
TT, did you support your southland brotheren since they played in New Orleans?

With the interest you show in everyone's football program on these message boards- I would imagine you would have been there. I'm sure you had this game circled on your calender!

Just out of curiosity - when and what was the last college football game you went to? There's plenty games in NO during the season - especially the game during thanksgiving weekend.

JohnStOnge
September 27th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Well, I looked at the play by play and the specifics on those two lost fumbles are that Immanual Friddle fumbled it away after a 13 yard run for what would've been a first down to the Tulane 34 and Derrick Fourroux fumbled it away after a 6 yard run for what would've been a first down at the Tulane 17.

I hate that kind of thing because you get all fired up because it's a good play for a first down then there's a turnover at the end of it.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 08:01 AM
McNeese crowd:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2641/3957199489_299a7711f8_b.jpg

Tulane crowd:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3476/3957211959_9d750ce650_b.jpg

With the interest you show in everyone's football program on these message boards- I would imagine you would have been there. I'm sure you had this game circled on your calender!

Had work. Obviously getting paid has priorities. You should know how that works. Working in the sports world does make it difficult when your work coincides with that of other college sports, especially when you want to do a great job.

This game was circled on the calendar and if I could've gotten away, I would have. If my wife's asthma was not in full gear, would've been at the tailgate!

Just out of curiosity - when and what was the last college football game you went to? There's plenty games in NO during the season - especially the game during thanksgiving weekend.

I attended several last year. Can't recall which was the last. Do not believe any were as spectators though, since I do work a few games from time to time (most recent game worked of any sort was Saints' game actually).

The next college football game I am attending is SHSU vs Southeastern on Oct. 11. Looking forward to seeing GL94 and any of the other Hammondites. Thanksgiving weekend is a very busy weekend for me. The last two years, I've been out of town (last year - went to Allen Fieldhouse and Gallagher-Iba in the same stretch during T-giving).

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Had work. Obviously getting paid has priorities. You should know how that works. Working in the sports world does make it difficult when your work coincides with that of other college sports, especially when you want to do a great job.

This game was circled on the calendar and if I could've gotten away, I would have. If my wife's asthma was not in full gear, would've been at the tailgate!

I attended several last year. Can't recall which was the last. Do not believe any were as spectators though, since I do work a few games from time to time (most recent game worked of any sort was Saints' game actually).

The next college football game I am attending is SHSU vs Southeastern on Oct. 11. Looking forward to seeing GL94 and any of the other Hammondites. Thanksgiving weekend is a very busy weekend for me. The last two years, I've been out of town (last year - went to Allen Fieldhouse and Gallagher-Iba in the same stretch during T-giving).

813Jag
September 27th, 2009, 08:11 AM
McNeese crowd:

Just wanted to say Blue and Gold always looks natural in the Dome. xthumbsupx Too bad the Pokes couldn't pull it out.

RabidRabbit
September 27th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Went to the game and what I was worried about happening happened. Tulane's offensive line gave McNeese's small defensive front a lot of problems and the Green Wave's big back broke a lot of tackles.

Still, McNeese had a shot because Tulane's defense couldn't stop McNeese's offense either. From McNeese standpoint: They got a TD kickoff return called back for one of those awful "holding away from the play" penalties and had two of those plays where they made a nice run for a first down but fumbled the ball away at the end of the play. One time it happened at maybe the Tulane 29 after a run of about 15 yards on a reverse and the other time it happened inside the Tulane 15 (I think) after Fourroux made a run of about eight yards.

Likewise enjoyed watching this game at the Superdome. New Orleans have done a nice job on the 'dome since Katrina.

McNeese has an OFFENSIVE Machine. Great dump passes, and misdirection. Great speed by Cowboys' WR.

NEITHER TEAM HAD A DEFENSE. xsmhxxsmhx Tulane's RB, and their Wide receiver were connecting multiple times. The weight difference between the Tulane heavyweight and the agile Cowboys took its toll over the course of the game.

The special teams issue, and the zebra play was decidedly one sided. When Cowboys crossed the 40 yd line on the returns, it was like automatic penalty on McNeese. Some of these may have been earned, BUT EVERY TIME?xconfusedxxconfusedx

Thanks McNeese for an entertaining game. Tulane wasn't better than you, but had more possessions.

BTW, great tailgating, and I'd estimate the crowd at the SuperDome to be 65% McNeese and 35% Tulane. WHERE ARE THE TULANE STUDENTS???? Sure weren't at the game.

msusig
September 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM
McNeese won that game.....stupid refs and bad fumbles cost us the win. But the pokes were awesome though. Geaux to hell Tulane and Geaux to hell refs.

msusig
September 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Also the attendance for Tulane was ridiculous. They should be ashamed of their fans not showing up. It looked more like a McNeese home game. How can they be in the FBS with an attendance like that? I'd say 5-1 McNeese fans.

I can't believe I am reading they are happy with their performance on their fan board. We dominated them exept for the bad calls and the few plays where we were burned for the long ball and the missed tackles on their running back. Tulane is a joke and we should have won that game.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Remarks from YOGWF on attendance...

well, maybe if we beat Army, the students will come out for homecoming, as there were about 33 students out there today. And 12 or 13 of them were the women's swimming team (introduced during the game)..

Being outdrawn at least 2-1, if not 4-1 by an out of town team is downright embarrasing...

WRONG. We were NOT outdrawn 2-1 or 4-1. Looked even to me. McNeese had more fans in the plaza level on their side. Up top, not so many and there are more Tulane fans there than you realize. We had quite a few more fans on the loge than they did. What few fans were in the end zones were ours. Get your head out of A$$ on this one Dave.

Without question McNeese had more fans than us. They even know how to make noise unlike the majority of our fans.

I can attest to Dave's estimation of the number fans. I believe it was 4 to 1 in favor of McNeese. In Dave's first photo, I am the lone figure, dressed in blue, between the T's. Actually I was wearing my white and blue Tulane cap.

One fan even said McNeese had over 9000 to 600 something for Tulane!

35 x 18 = 630
630 x 15 = 9450

msusig
September 27th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Does anybody know or even saw that play where the Tulane center tried to hike the ball while most of the Tulane players were still in a huddle? They called a penalty against them, but is that even a legal play or was it just not performed correctly?

pantherbacker
September 28th, 2009, 09:27 AM
You would have to have 7 players on the line of scrimmage and set

McNeeserocket
September 28th, 2009, 09:49 AM
McNeese crowd:

Tulane crowd:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3476/3957211959_9d750ce650_b.jpg

Can someone please tell me why every picture of the non-existant Tulane crowd is not available when it was yesterday? I guess Tulane was too embarrassed to show what a laughable crowd they had at the game.

McTailGator
September 29th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Can someone please tell me why every picture of the non-existant Tulane crowd is not available when it was yesterday? I guess Tulane was too embarrassed to show what a laughable crowd they had at the game.

Seeing as how they reported the attendance to be 29,065, they probably didn't want an NCAA Auditor to see how they flat out LIE about their attendance each and every week.

They had maybe 2500 fans including their band.

I do not think they had 14,000 people in that building.

I went to see Journey live in concert and the NO Arena next door, and it was a sell out. Great concert! Packed house. More than attended the football game.

Really the best concert I have EVER attended!

McTailGator
September 30th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Terror

The calculations below are how many McNeese fans were there.

35 rows x 18 seats in a row = 630 seats/fans per section
630 seats x 15 Sections filled = 9450 McNeese fans in the lower level on the sidelines

We did have some more fans in the upper deck and I even saw some in the endzone and the Tulane sidelines as well.

But I still say it was really really close to 10,000 if not just a tad over.

McNeese72
September 30th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Terror

The calculations below are how many McNeese fans were there.

35 rows x 18 seats in a row = 630 seats/fans per section
630 seats x 15 Sections filled = 9450 McNeese fans in the lower level on the sidelines

We did have some more fans in the upper deck and I even saw some in the endzone and the Tulane sidelines as well.

But I still say it was really really close to 10,000 if not just a tad over.

Greg,

Looking at the SuperDome seating chart for the Tulane games, the middle seven sections are near the same size. But the sections in the curves (4 on each side if you are considering 15 sections all together) get smaller the more you get into the curves of the stands.

Doc