PDA

View Full Version : Big South Power Rankings and Week 2 Pick 'Em

ToTheLeft
September 20th, 2009, 01:15 PM
1. Liberty (Proved we're back with a revenge win over Lafayette, now the obvious favorite in conference, let's just hope we stay focused)
2. Stony Brook (Win over Brown proves they're at least capable of winning, particularly in such a close game...)
3. Gardner-Webb (Lost to NC State by more than I expected, but still looks like a quality team)
4. Coastal (I want to put them lower, but I just can't justify it. They hung in there against Towson, and that's more respectable than...)
5. VMI (Got destroyed by JMU, barely beat Robert Morris, sorry Keydets, but I can't keep picking ya if you're gonna let me down like this...)
Basement: Presby/Chuck (One of these teams lost to Chatty, the other injured my favorite player in all of FBS football. I hope you both lose every game this year.)

This week

JMU at Liberty
North Greenville at Chuck South
VMI at Richmond
Stony Brook at UMass
Presby at The Citadel
NC A&T at Coastal

G-W on a bye waiting to start conference play next week...

Dukie95
September 20th, 2009, 01:22 PM
sorry Keydets, but I can't keep picking ya if you're gonna let me down like this...

Did you expect VMI to beat JMU?

ToTheLeft
September 20th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Did you expect VMI to beat JMU?

No, but over the course of the season they've been pretty much a disappointment. I thought there was a good chance they would be an impressive team this year but it just isn't panning out... and missing out on opportunities and getting smacked by JMU isn't really encouraging.

kirkblitz
September 20th, 2009, 02:04 PM
put us above presby and below everyone else. The dynasty has died

ToTheLeft
September 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Haha, kirk dude, even at your worst you're better than VMI and Chuck, along with Presby.

elcid83
September 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Lefty, I'd have GW in the #2 spot and might consider putting them and Liberty in a tie for #1 at this point of the proceedings. With conference play starting in two weeks, it is certainly going to start to clear things up a little.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

jcmanson
September 20th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I agree with GW being number 2, but in no way do they deserve to be in a tie for #1 at this point. LU is the 2 time defending champs. We've won something like 13 straight conference games. We competed with a WVU team, G dub got stomped by NCSU. GW beat a D2 convincingly, we beat a lower FCS convincingly. We do both have decent road victories over auto bid leagues, but other than that LU is the clear #1.

The Gadfly
September 20th, 2009, 04:46 PM
wow . . . the chicken curse continues in Conway. MUST . . . CHANGE . . . MASCOT!

gobluehose1
September 20th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Haha, kirk dude, even at your worst you're better than VMI and Chuck, along with Presby.

you seem to forget so quickly what happened last year.

kirkblitz
September 20th, 2009, 06:25 PM
you seem to forget so quickly what happened last year.

yep xbawlingx

elcid83
September 20th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I agree with GW being number 2, but in no way do they deserve to be in a tie for #1 at this point. LU is the 2 time defending champs. We've won something like 13 straight conference games. We competed with a WVU team, G dub got stomped by NCSU. GW beat a D2 convincingly, we beat a lower FCS convincingly. We do both have decent road victories over auto bid leagues, but other than that LU is the clear #1.

You lost to PC last year.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

ToTheLeft
September 20th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I'm glad our loss to PC is the only thing you guys can hold against us...

In 2007 Presby beat VMI, CCU, and almost beat CSU. I guess the Joggin' Bullmutts were afraid to take on such a powerhouse, since they didn't schedule them. Liberty destroyed the Hose 48-14...

Also, PC Fans, You guys lost to Western Carolina last year, not to mention the entire Big South (apart from us obviously) , and you were only 7 point victors over a DII Joke School that you and CSU feel it necessary to play home-and-homes with to give yourselves a level playing field... Chirp all you want but you were a scrub team at best... G-W fan, Nice losses to Coastal, Tennessee Tech and Sam Houston State. I guess you didn't want to win ANY meaningful games, did you? At least Coastal fans know their place in the conference.

And everyone is off to a great start this year. Making the Big South proud, that's for sure. Presby, I'm sorry your football team has bought into the same sad sack of a philosophy for scheduling as your basketball team... "Presbyterian Athletics, to be the best you have to play guarantee games at the best." Nice 115-41 combined score against three SoCon teams, including the worst SoCon team in the history of the SoCon... I'm sure all that guarantee money can pay for a better sports medicine staff and maybe a sport psychologist to help your team get over getting destroyed every week. VMI, you know what you've done (14-13 over Robert Morris? Really?)... and G-W, thanks for showing up to your game in Raleigh... oh wait.

gobluehose1
September 20th, 2009, 08:10 PM

In 2007 Presby beat VMI, CCU, and almost beat CSU. I guess the Joggin' Bullmutts were afraid to take on such a powerhouse, since they didn't schedule them. Liberty destroyed the Hose 48-14...

Also, PC Fans, You guys lost to Western Carolina last year, not to mention the entire Big South (apart from us obviously) , and you were only 7 point victors over a DII Joke School that you and CSU feel it necessary to play home-and-homes with to give yourselves a level playing field... Chirp all you want but you were a scrub team at best... G-W fan, Nice losses to Coastal, Tennessee Tech and Sam Houston State. I guess you didn't want to win ANY meaningful games, did you? At least Coastal fans know their place in the conference.

And everyone is off to a great start this year. Making the Big South proud, that's for sure. Presby, I'm sorry your football team has bought into the same sad sack of a philosophy for scheduling as your basketball team... "Presbyterian Athletics, to be the best you have to play guarantee games at the best." Nice 115-41 combined score against three SoCon teams, including the worst SoCon team in the history of the SoCon... I'm sure all that guarantee money can pay for a better sports medicine staff and maybe a sport psychologist to help your team get over getting destroyed every week. VMI, you know what you've done (14-13 over Robert Morris? Really?)... and G-W, thanks for showing up to your game in Raleigh... oh wait.

didn't you guys narrowly escape NCCU last week?

yes we lost to WCU last year. bad memory. but then you lost to us so.....

two of the 4 Socon games were home for us, not guarantee games.

we also beat you in basketball last year and went .500 in conference play as a first year member.

kdinva
September 20th, 2009, 08:24 PM
This week

JMU at Liberty
North Greenville at Chuck South
VMI at Richmond
Stony Brook at UMass
Presby at The Citadel
NC A&T at Coastal

G-W on a bye

JMU 33; Liberty 28
CSU 23; N. Greenville 13
UR 37; VMI 17
UMass 29; Stony Brook 17
The Citadel 38; Presby. 16
CCU 26; NCA&T 19

jcmanson
September 20th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hey LU brethren, news flash in case you missed it: We lost to Presby last year! xeekx

Keep telling us that, you might all feel better after we roll through the conference again this year for our 3rd straight 'ship.

ToTheLeft
September 20th, 2009, 09:28 PM
didn't you guys narrowly escape NCCU last week?

Since when is 35-10 a narrow win? Is that to make all of your 48-14 losses "narrow losses"? Get a clue. Your three point win over them a year or whatever ago is a "narrow win". Sorta like your "narrow win" over North Greenville...

gobluehose1
September 20th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Since when is 35-10 a narrow win? Is that to make all of your 48-14 losses "narrow losses"? Get a clue. Your three point win over them a year or whatever ago is a "narrow win". Sorta like your "narrow win" over North Greenville...

they were beating you at half-time....you only pulled away late in the 4th.....even people on your board are saying that

ToTheLeft
September 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM
they were beating you at half-time....you only pulled away late in the 4th.....even people on your board are saying that

Whatever you say, boss. We "barely beat" NCCU. Let's see how terrible that makes the Blue Hose when we slap them around for four quarters in Lynchburg...

Redwyn
September 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Whatever you say, boss. We "barely beat" NCCU. Let's see how terrible that makes the Blue Hose when we slap them around for four quarters in Lynchburg...

SBU whistles and tries not to get involved...... xwhistlex

SumItUp
September 20th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Liberty 31, JMU 30
CSU 38, N. Greenville 10 The game finally slows down for CSU and they win big.
UR 35, VMI 13
Stony Brook 27, UMass 23
The Citadel 41, Presby 20
CCU 21, NC A&T 17

ToTheLeft
September 20th, 2009, 10:23 PM
SBU whistles and tries not to get involved...... xwhistlex

Haha, I have a lot of respect for the SBU fans I have come across thus far, and you guys didn't have a great showing last year but there is a lot of talent on that team, so you're the one team I can't really chirp about that much.

Redwyn
September 20th, 2009, 11:07 PM
We're a sophisticated bunch, that's why there aren't many of us :p

ToTheLeft
September 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Bump... (sorry that it says week 2... can't believe I typoed that bad.)

g-webb1994
September 22nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
power rankings:
1. LU
2. G-W
3. Stony Brook
4. Coastal
5. VMI
6. CSU
7. PC

picks:

JMU 24
LU 16

CSU 27
NGU 14

RICH 52
VMI 13

UMASS 42
SB 21

CIT 38
PC 17

CCU 23
A&T 13

Seawolf97
September 22nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
Liberty 31, JMU 30
CSU 38, N. Greenville 10 The game finally slows down for CSU and they win big.
UR 35, VMI 13
Stony Brook 27, UMass 23
The Citadel 41, Presby 20
CCU 21, NC A&T 17

Looking at that prediction that would be an upset . If we stop the penalities, run block for Gowins and Cutino and dont drop passes we stay in this game with UMass. Play like we did at Colgate we lose by 17 points. Shoild be interesting.

Seawolf97
September 22nd, 2009, 08:22 PM

Well putxcoffeex

Seawolf97
September 22nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Haha, I have a lot of respect for the SBU fans I have come across thus far, and you guys didn't have a great showing last year but there is a lot of talent on that team, so you're the one team I can't really chirp about that much.

Looking forward to seeing a good Liberty turnout in November. Brown had a good following last Saturday. Maybe 250 to 300 fans and their PEP Band. Always good to see that.

justsaying
September 22nd, 2009, 09:30 PM

LOL- how soon we forget those years that LU was the laughing stock of 1-AA football. Now you bring in 10 Div-1 transfers a year and want to flex your muscles. Believe me we all would do it, if our admission standards were as pathetic as LU...

hoseman
September 23rd, 2009, 06:21 AM

Well said.

Hoseinexile07
September 23rd, 2009, 07:04 AM
LOL- how soon we forget those years that LU was the laughing stock of 1-AA football. Now you bring in 10 Div-1 transfers a year and want to flex your muscles.

xlolx

Hoseinexile07
September 23rd, 2009, 07:23 AM

Hater. If we schedule tough opponents you'll insult us for getting beaten with a team that's 60% freshmen. If we schedule softer teams you'll insult us for not putting more challenging teams on the ledger. What are we supposed to do? Thank the Lord we've chosen do our thing without regard for what you think about us.

One of the virtues of a champion is humility in victory. You've done great things with your program over the last few years, astounding even. But it was only a few years ago when you weren't so astounding. Everyone takes his lumps sometimes.

Schfourteenteen
September 24th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I think Bobby Bentley's blog solified that.

JMU 35; Liberty 24
N. Greenville 13; CSU 7
UR 42; VMI 13
UMass 35; Stony Brook 10
The Citadel 45; Presby. 14
CCU 21; NCA&T 17

Bouns(Because I go the extra mile)
Birmingham Southern 31; Rhodes 21

kdinva
September 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM
No, but over the course of the season they've been pretty much a disappointment........
Two games does not a season make. Yes, we thought we would beat RMU by 20, and hang with JMU for at least 50 minutes. UR is another tough test that we will not shy away from.