PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Prediction Thread - Week 4

carney2
September 20th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Week 4 already, and some things are becoming obvious, and in some cases painfully so. But, I digress.

September 26, 2009:

Princeton @ LEHIGH

Howard @ GEORGETOWN

Marist @ BUCKNELL

FORDHAM @ COLGATE

Pennsylvania @ LAFAYETTE

HOLY CROSS - Bye

The Patriot League went 2-4 vs. OOC in Week 2, bringing the year to 6-8.

vs. Big South: 1-1
vs. CAA: 0-2
vs. Ivy League: 2-3
vs. NEC: 3-2

Standings after week 3:

Holy Cross 1-0 PL, 3-0 Total
Lafayette 1-0, 1-1
Colgate 0-0, 3-0
Bucknell 0-0, 1-2
Fordham 0-0, 0-2
Lehigh 0-0, 0-2
Georgetown 0-2, 0-3

DFW HOYA
September 20th, 2009, 01:11 PM
All the home teams win.

That's right, all of em.

RichH2
September 20th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I likeyour enthusiasm if not your sanityxnodx

Fordham
September 20th, 2009, 04:30 PM
xpeacexAll the away teams win.

That's right, all of 'em.

carney2
September 20th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Brutal.

TheValleyRaider
September 20th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Homer :p

Fordham
September 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Homer :p

http://nicolasheller.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/homer-simpson-52.jpg

DFW HOYA
September 20th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Here's why the home teams should be favored:

Lehigh over Princeton: The Engineers have underperformed relative to its record, but its competition (CCSU, Villanova) was considerably stronger. Coen is due for a win--Princeton was ineffective against El Cid and are 1-3 since 1998 in games played in Bethlehem.

Bucknell over Marist: Bison are 4-0 all time against the Red Foxes. Both teams are reflective of their records but Marist is not a road team, so Bison by a touchdown.

Colgate over Fordham--Dick Biddle's teams are a lot like Mike Krzyzewski's basketball teams at Duke: no matter who they lose, they always seem to be in contention. The Red Raiders got past their traditional squeaker in the opener but are building momentum and could legitimately be 7-0 heading into the Holy Cross game on 10/24. After watching Columbia hang 40 on Fordham at the Bronx, I can't see how the Rams are able to put the brakes on Colgate's 400 ypg offense in Hamilton.

Lafayette over Penn: Lafayette is the wild card in the league race--if they can get some conssitency at QB, the Leopards could beat anyone. Holding Liberty (an underrated team) to a 6 point loss says something about what LC can do if the right pieces are in place.

and...

Georgetown over Howard. The Hoyas need this one, emphasis on need. Put aside the combined records of the teams (0-3 for Georgetown, 0-2 Howard), put aside the combined records of the two coaches (Kelly=5-30, Bailey=1-12) or the number of offensive touchdowns scored this season (Georgetown none, Howard one). If the rest of the PL wants to make major structural changes, they need Georgetown along in the mix and Georgetown must show the home crowd that it's worth it to invest further in football--what will it mean to the PL if six teams have 50+ scholarships and one has none? The Hoyas have only one home win in the last 3+ seasons to a team not named "Marist College" and continued home-field beatings are corrosive to a program's long term growth. With only one home game between now and November 14, this is Georgetown's best opportunity to jump-start this season before it gets out of hand.

It's Homecoming at GU and Howard will bring a large crowd as well. So where will they sit?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5aDKqsf1RVE/SrLuV9hxo6I/AAAAAAAAAGA/eRygpx1_2x4/s320/msf7.jpg

ngineer
September 20th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I like my Engineering Mountain Hawks this week. We've been missing 5 starters from the defense, and should have at least 4 back this week. Lehigh's players will understand the need to the come out and make a statement that they are a good team. I smell a 'complete game' with the Boys in Brown winning 28-14.

The Hoyas will see the chance for a win and make a valiant effort to bring one home. I'll give the tilt to the men in Grey only because of home field advantage. Hoyas by George! 13-10.

Bucknell will finally get to laugh a little at the expense of the Redd Foxes. 4 yards and a cloud of black turf beads for the Bison, 27-17.

Fordham's fabled 'Seven Blocks of Granite' must be turning in their respective graves faster than the Ram's defenders seem to be turning and watching opponents' flying into the endzone. Colgate seems to have all the answers with its system no matter who totes the the piggy...to bank with the Raiders, 38-24.

This one is the trickiest. Lafayette made some adjustments at the half outplayed Liberty 13-3. IMO, the Leopards have more of a passing attack than Frank wants to use. Penn hung tough with arguably one of the best in the country, so I expect a fairly low scoring affair. Unfortunately, I see it coming down to special teams, and unless Rodriguez's head is screwed back on, Penn will win by 3. If Frank found the wrench, then 'pards by 3...17-14.

Crusaders bye comes at a good time for them after the opening 'rush' and gives Gilmore time to 'humble' his team as only a Gilmore can do before the real serious stuff starts.

breezy
September 21st, 2009, 07:26 AM
Lehigh
Georgetown
Bucknell
Colgate
Penn

Pard94
September 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Week 4 already, and some things are becoming obvious, and in some cases painfully so. But, I digress.

September 26, 2009:

Princeton @ LEHIGH

Howard @ GEORGETOWN

Marist @ BUCKNELL

FORDHAM @ COLGATE

Pennsylvania @ LAFAYETTE

HOLY CROSS - Bye

The Patriot League went 2-4 vs. OOC in Week 2, bringing the year to 6-8.

vs. Big South: 1-1
vs. CAA: 0-2
vs. Ivy League: 2-3
vs. NEC: 3-2

Standings after week 3:

Holy Cross 1-0 PL, 3-0 Total
Lafayette 1-0, 1-1
Colgate 0-0, 3-0
Bucknell 0-0, 1-2
Fordham 0-0, 0-2
Lehigh 0-0, 0-2
Georgetown 0-2, 0-3

Princeton - 21-14 - Are the Moutnain Hawks questioning their own ability at this point? It will take a great motivational effort by Coach Coen to make sure they are not. Is he up to the task?

Georgetown - 2-0 - The proverbial blind squirrel finds a nut at the expense of yet another blind squirrel.

Bucknell - 10-7 - Bucknell...blah, blah, blah, Red Foxes...whatever.

Colgate - 28-10 - And so endeth Fordham's last chance for PL greatness. After this year they're not really part of the league anymore.

Lafayette - 21-14 - I think Lafayette may just be teetering on the brink of PL greatness. They have a passing attack that could really be the start of something new on The Hill (thanks Coach Fein). A win against the Quakers would be a HUGE confidence builder.

Pards Rule
September 21st, 2009, 09:50 AM
Yep - lets make it three in a row over the Quackers :) Mark the Shark (#8) to have a huge game!!

Fordham
September 21st, 2009, 10:15 AM
Here's why the home teams should be favored:

Lehigh over Princeton: The Engineers have underperformed relative to its record, but its competition (CCSU, Villanova) was considerably stronger. Coen is due for a win--Princeton was ineffective against El Cid and are 1-3 since 1998 in games played in Bethlehem.

Bucknell over Marist: Bison are 4-0 all time against the Red Foxes. Both teams are reflective of their records but Marist is not a road team, so Bison by a touchdown.

Colgate over Fordham--Dick Biddle's teams are a lot like Mike Krzyzewski's basketball teams at Duke: no matter who they lose, they always seem to be in contention. The Red Raiders got past their traditional squeaker in the opener but are building momentum and could legitimately be 7-0 heading into the Holy Cross game on 10/24. After watching Columbia hang 40 on Fordham at the Bronx, I can't see how the Rams are able to put the brakes on Colgate's 400 ypg offense in Hamilton.

Lafayette over Penn: Lafayette is the wild card in the league race--if they can get some conssitency at QB, the Leopards could beat anyone. Holding Liberty (an underrated team) to a 6 point loss says something about what LC can do if the right pieces are in place.

and...

Georgetown over Howard. The Hoyas need this one, emphasis on need. Put aside the combined records of the teams (0-3 for Georgetown, 0-2 Howard), put aside the combined records of the two coaches (Kelly=5-30, Bailey=1-12) or the number of offensive touchdowns scored this season (Georgetown none, Howard one). If the rest of the PL wants to make major structural changes, they need Georgetown along in the mix and Georgetown must show the home crowd that it's worth it to invest further in football--what will it mean to the PL if six teams have 50+ scholarships and one has none? The Hoyas have only one home win in the last 3+ seasons to a team not named "Marist College" and continued home-field beatings are corrosive to a program's long term growth. With only one home game between now and November 14, this is Georgetown's best opportunity to jump-start this season before it gets out of hand.

It's Homecoming at GU and Howard will bring a large crowd as well. So where will they sit?

http://www.pixedition.com/softball/images/practicefield.jpg

I concede that I don't have nearly as much logic to back-up my 'away' team sweep ... and it was stated mostly tongue-in-cheek' ... but I'll give it my best nontheless:

*Princeton @ Lehigh- two quick losses out of the gate could be shattering the confidence of an otherwise strong team. A third loss could very well be the straw that breaks Coen's back and that puts the pressure squarely on the Engineers. Waning confidence + pressure = a team that won't play up to its potential.

*Marist @ Bucknell - no one ever went broke (in the past 4 years at least) picking against the PL in an OOC matchup. That's all I've got

*Penn @ Lafayette- bitten by the Ivy snake once again.

*Howard @ Georgetown - what DFW wrote, but make those first few sentences about Howard instead of G-town.

*Fordham @ Colgate - a) Colgate may be flustered/over-confident from the novel feeling of starting a season off so strongly; b) Tom Masella is 2 - 0 in his last 2 trips to Hamilton c) 9 turnovers plus 22 penalties for 236 yards in the first 2 games is a sign of an incredibly undisciplined squad to most .... to Ram Kool-Aid drinkers, though, it's just a sign that once we start holding onto the ball and stop goosing the ref after the play is over, this is a different team.

Ta-da!

carney2
September 21st, 2009, 11:09 AM
A week of must wins in the Patriot League.

Princeton @ LEHIGH
Lehigh If there is a must win on the Squawks’ OOC schedule, this is it. The time for excuses has passed and the Jersey Tabbies give no indication that they are up to the task, so put up or shut up. A squeaker win here will only add to the questions about the 2009 Featherheads. This needs to be convincing.

Howard @ GEORGETOWN
Georgetown A must win for the Hoyas if they plan to make anything at all out of this season. It’s homecoming against a really bad team. If not now, when? This is more a homer pick than one made with conviction.

Marist @ BUCKNELL
Bucknell Perhaps not a must win for the Buffalos, but they really need to start devouring some of these cupcakes they’re being fed if they have any hope at all of truly being “improved.” I’m not up to date on the 2009 Red Foxes, but am still convinced that no Patriot League teams should lose to these guys.

FORDHAM @ COLGATE
Colgate A must win for the Rams - and they don’t have a prayer.

Penn @ LAFAYETTE
Lafayette The 86th meeting and the Pards have won 3 in a row only once. The home team was accused of playing only 30 minutes vs. Liberty. Two years ago the Penn coach went brain dead and handed a victory to Lafayette. Last year the Leopards barely survived a 30 minute coma by their own head coach. This year they need to play 60 minutes, can expect no help from the Penn side of the field, and cannot survive any Idiot Frank moments. Not a must, and a hope more than a conviction, as the Pards begin their annual trek into the land of The Curse.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 21st, 2009, 11:19 AM
A week of must wins in the Patriot League.

As much as it pains me to say it, carney, I agree with you. xpeacex This needs to be a good set of wins for the league in general.

TheValleyRaider
September 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM
Much like the PL, I was unimpressive last week. 3-3 for the day, 10-6 on the season

Princeton at Lehigh Lehigh Not sure what to make of this one. Was the bye to Lehigh's advantage? How good is Princeton, really? Does homefield even matter here? Picking the Hawks to get off the mat and put a 1 in the W column

Howard at Georgetown Georgetown Can fighting for DC pride inspire the Hoya offense to do....something? Or will it perhaps be playing the Bison defense? Either way, taking the Hoyas in the District Showdown

Marist at Bucknell Bucknell Speaking of offensive offenses, where is Bucknell at? They're still good enough to beat Marist though, right?

Fordham at Colgate Colgate On the one hand, that whole "Fordham will be in the thick of the PL race" thing I was talking about this summer doesn't seem so good right about now. On the other, they're still unbeaten in the League. Colgate defense looks much improved this year, and they'll stop the Masella streak in Hamilton

Pennsylvania at Lafayette Pennsylvania I don't want to pick Penn, I really don't. But, without having a real gauge of where Lafayette is, I think it's wise to go with the team that just held Top 5 Nova to 1 offensive TD

RichH2
September 21st, 2009, 12:55 PM
I am picking a PL sweep. Mostly because we need it.

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 01:00 PM
We're a pretty angry team right about now... and we've played stronger competition than the Hoyas have played thus far-- Rutgers & #25 FAMU. We will avenge our loss to the Hoyas last seaosn.

HU BISON

Ivytalk
September 21st, 2009, 01:04 PM
Much like the PL, I was unimpressive last week. 3-3 for the day, 10-6 on the season

Princeton at Lehigh Lehigh Not sure what to make of this one. Was the bye to Lehigh's advantage? How good is Princeton, really? Does homefield even matter here? Picking the Hawks to get off the mat and put a 1 in the W column

Howard at Georgetown Georgetown Can fighting for DC pride inspire the Hoya offense to do....something? Or will it perhaps be playing the Bison defense? Either way, taking the Hoyas in the District Showdown

Marist at Bucknell Bucknell Speaking of offensive offenses, where is Bucknell at? They're still good enough to beat Marist though, right?

Fordham at Colgate Colgate On the one hand, that whole "Fordham will be in the thick of the PL race" thing I was talking about this summer doesn't seem so good right about now. On the other, they're still unbeaten in the League. Colgate defense looks much improved this year, and they'll stop the Masella streak in Hamilton

Pennsylvania at Lafayette Pennsylvania I don't want to pick Penn, I really don't. But, without having a real gauge of where Lafayette is, I think it's wise to go with the team that just held Top 5 Nova to 1 offensive TD

Agreed. And Penn wins by at least 7.

Pards Rule
September 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
Ivytalk - I think Frank just printed and took your post to Kinkos for a blowup!

turbodean
September 21st, 2009, 04:44 PM
FORDHAM @ COLGATE
Colgate A must win for the Rams - and they don’t have a prayer.

Isn't it a more accurate statement that its a must win for Colgate? It seems to me that Fordham is the underdog by a mile and that if we were to win it, that would be much more devastating to Colgate. The pressure to win is all yours my friend.

We're coming up with the attitude of having everything to win; while you'll be playing as the home favorite with much to lose.

Go...gate
September 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM
Isn't it a more accurate statement that its a must win for Colgate? It seems to me that Fordham is the underdog by a mile and that if we were to win it, that would be much more devastating to Colgate. The pressure to win is all yours my friend.

We're coming up with the attitude of having everything to win; while you'll be playing as the home favorite with much to lose.

Biddle will have them ready because Fordham hammered and humbled us in the second half in Hamilton two years ago on its way to the conference championship. Colgate will not forget and certainly will not take the Rams lightly.

Ivytalk
September 21st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Ivytalk - I think Frank just printed and took your post to Kinkos for a blowup!

Not that I WANT Penn to win...perish the thought... I just have the sense that Penn's defense will keep LC harnessed in a 21-14 type game.

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 21st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Princeton 14 @ LEHIGH 17. Ngineers get in the W column with defensive effort at home. :D

Howard 11 @ GEORGETOWN 14. Hoyas cannot let this one get away! xnodx xrotatehx

Marist 14 @ BUCKNELL 24. Bucknell gets in the W column. xnodx

FORDHAM 14 @ COLGATE 42. 'Gate too much at home vs. a Ram 11 that still hasn't found any equilibrium. xconfusedx

Pennsylvania 24 @ LAFAYETTE 21 (OT). Ivies forever! xrotatehx

HOLY CROSS - Bye. Enjoy the rarified air in Worcester for another week! xbowx

DJOM
September 21st, 2009, 08:03 PM
Princeton rebounds from The Citadel and earns first win.

TheValleyRaider
September 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM

Given you're 0-2 and have allowed at least 40 points in both games, I'd say Fordham really needs this one. The one saving grace for the Rams is that they haven't play a PL game yet, but their confidence has to be very shaken. Lose again, especially if it's a bad one, and you could really start to slide

Not that there's no pressure on Colgate to win what appears to be a winnable game at home, but even if we lose, we're 3-1 with the rest of the PL contenders still to come. Two very different scenarios

crusader11
September 21st, 2009, 11:13 PM
Princeton 14 @ LEHIGH 17. Ngineers get in the W column with defensive effort at home. :D

Howard 11 @ GEORGETOWN 14. Hoyas cannot let this one get away! xnodx xrotatehx

Marist 14 @ BUCKNELL 24. Bucknell gets in the W column. xnodx

FORDHAM 14 @ COLGATE 42. 'Gate too much at home vs. a Ram 11 that still hasn't found any equilibrium. xconfusedx

Pennsylvania 24 @ LAFAYETTE 21 (OT). Ivies forever! xrotatehx

HOLY CROSS - Bye. Enjoy the rarified air in Worcester for another week! xbowx

Thanks VT. We running the table this year kid.

letsgopards04
September 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Lehigh over the mighty kittens
Howard over the desperate puppies
Bucknell over whatever a diminunative version of whatever Marist is
Colgate over the lambies
Lafayette over Penn (no clever nickname - ran out of steam)

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Colgate over the lambies
Lafayette over the Quackers (no clever nickname - ran out of steam)

Finished it off for you.....:D

carney2
September 23rd, 2009, 02:55 PM
The official line for week 4:

LEHIGH by 7 over Princeton

GEORGETOWN Even vs. Howard

BUCKNELL by 8 over Marist

COLGATE by 15 over FORDHAM

LAFAYETTE by 3 over Pennsylvania

Pards Rule
September 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Well those Vegas guys know something I guess..Liberty was +2.5 over LC and if Davis had made the FG it would have been a 3 point game. There ya go.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
Colgate over the lambies
Lafayette over Penn (no clever nickname - ran out of steam)

As a tribute to your clever nicknames, look for the "Lambies" to find their way into my picks :D

ngineer
September 23rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
As a tribute to your clever nicknames, look for the "Lambies" to find their way into my picks :D

That's baaaaaahhhd;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
12-3 overall
This week isn't quite as tough as last week imo.

Colgate 42 Fordham 24: Fordham's defense has been a mess this year. Colgate has consistently put points on the board in their 3 games and i doubt that changes this week.

Bucknell 24 Marist 14: Both teams have been terrible to start the year, Marist has been just a bit worse. A Marist win would not surprise me.

Georgetown 21 Howard 20: This might be the most important game in Hoya football history imo. Depending what the PL does with schollies and the Hoyas own stance this game could mean an 0-11 season. Georgetown needs to win every game they have a chance in to keep support alive.

Penn 17 Lafayette 13: Penn was the preseason favorite in the Ivy by many. Based on their performance against 'Nova in their first game i suspect they'll be even more improvement in week two. A little revenge factor helps too.

Lehigh 28 Princeton 17: I pick Lehigh only because if Coen wants to see 2010 as head coach he has to win this game. Lehigh homers can say that a loss really means nothing because their goals are in tact. Well if Lehigh loses to a suspect Princeton team at home it's all over. There is no way in the world they're beating Harvard, Colgate, Holy Cross, Yale and Lafayette. A loss on Saturday will ensure another losing season and the end of the Coen era imo. He's 2-7 all time against the Ivies and a whopping 1-4 at home. The odds say he's got almost no chance.

DFW HOYA
September 23rd, 2009, 10:05 PM
12-3 overall
Georgetown 21 Howard 20: This might be the most important game in Hoya football history imo. Depending what the PL does with schollies and the Hoyas own stance this game could mean an 0-11 season. Georgetown needs to win every game they have a chance in to keep support alive.

I wouldn't go that far, but when you're 5-30 in this staff's fourth season, has lost 11 of its last 12, and faces five of the next six games on the road, the team has to start showing results. (GU should have a third straight sellout this week at MSF, so that's a good sign.)

Then again, Howard has lost 14 of its last 15, and plays only one home game before October 24, so it's not like they're on the road to Chattanooga either.

Pards Rule
September 24th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Wow, TU Owl, Andy we hardly knew ye!!

RichH2
September 24th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Nice to get a PL sweep this week. Possible, crucial for Lehigh. Need Princeton and Yale wins at least. Yet to see how good Cantabs are.

ColgateTD
September 24th, 2009, 01:25 PM
15-1 so far....it's all good...:)

Colgate
Lehigh
Bucknell
Georgetown (this one's for you DFW)
Lafayette (...and for you Carney)

Looks like a PL sweep to me!

Pards Rule
September 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Love it Colgate TD...GO PL!!!!!

FUrams7
September 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM
its understandable that Colgate thinks they have an easy W vs Fordham this weekend.

but ill say this .... Fordham is fully aware a "W" changes the momentum of the whole season. if FU limits turnovers (9 in 2 games) our offense can be explosive.. in addition our last 5 games of season are all PL.. giving the team pleanty of time to work out the kinks until it matters so to speak.

Fordham 31
Colgate 27 :)

Franks Tanks
September 24th, 2009, 04:47 PM
its understandable that Colgate thinks they have an easy W vs Fordham this weekend.

but ill say this .... Fordham is fully aware a "W" changes the momentum of the whole season. if FU limits turnovers (9 in 2 games) our offense can be explosive.. in addition our last 5 games of season are all PL.. giving the team pleanty of time to work out the kinks until it matters so to speak.

Fordham 31
Colgate 27 :)

xlolx

Go...gate
September 25th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Colgate 28, Fordham 24

Bucknell 17, Marist 16

Georgetown 12, Howard 10

Pennsylvania 24, Lafayette 13

Lehigh 23, Princeton 20

Bye 14, Holy Cross 6 (Upset Special) : )

HoyaMetanoia
September 25th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't go that far, but when you're 5-30 in this staff's fourth season, has lost 11 of its last 12, and faces five of the next six games on the road, the team has to start showing results. (GU should have a third straight sellout this week at MSF, so that's a good sign.)

Then again, Howard has lost 14 of its last 15, and plays only one home game before October 24, so it's not like they're on the road to Chattanooga either.

The third straight sellout is misleading. First of all, you have to be epically bad not to come close to selling out a place that only holds 2,400 people and where they sell to whoever wants to buy, regardless of if it's "full" or not. Secondly, you know you'll sell out the first game of the season and homecoming, but the Yale sell out was because there was more Yalies there than Hoyas.

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM
The third straight sellout is misleading. First of all, you have to be epically bad not to come close to selling out a place that only holds 2,400 people and where they sell to whoever wants to buy, regardless of if it's "full" or not. Secondly, you know you'll sell out the first game of the season and homecoming, but the Yale sell out was because there was more Yalies there than Hoyas.

Not true. The visitors' side seats only 800, so the out of towners did not outsell the home crowd (presumably 1,600 or more).

The MSF is somewhat, shall we say, "unique" in the lack of surface parking...well, almost none (20-30 spaces). If there was adequate parking, more would come but GU does not even market it locally because of this.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Here are my picks for this week. Last week I went 5-1, putting me at 12-4 on the year. Subtract two Colgate losses and last week's Holy Cross/Harvard pick'em, I'd be 12-1.

Sources:
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/09/game-preview-princeton-at-lehigh.html
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/CollegeSportingNews/~3/DCp4pNQxM2s/the-csn-way-television-rules-the-nation

Lehigh at Princeton. I don't think we've seen the team that Lehigh can be so far, and I think this week is the week where we might start to see that team emerge. A defensive battle seems certain - with, perhaps, field position playing a big part - but I think Lehigh, who needs this game just a little bit more, will find a way to win this game and finally start cleansing some of the bad vibes from the first two games.

Lehigh 17, Princeton 14

Fordham at Colgate. The question is: which Colgate running back will get 200 yards this week? Sophomore Jordan McCord? Sophomore Nate Eachus? The third waterboy from the left? The only way qaurterback John Skelton and the rest of the Rams have a chance is if they keep the turnovers down and play much more disciplined ball they showed in their first two games. Don’t count on it.

‘Retched Raiders 41, Lovable Lambies 21

Penn at Lafayette. Hope you like defense: in the last three meetings between these two local rivals, no team has scored more than 24 points. Look for a lot of punts, hard-hitting, and maybe even a defensive touchdown: and a win for head coach Frank Tavani, linebacker Mark Leggerio, and the Leopards.

Tavani’s Blunt Objects 11, Bagnoli’s Raw Meat 9

Towson at Morgan State and Howard at Georgetown. With 0-3 FBS Maryland struggling so bad, Maryland and DC have an opportunity to showcase their FCS teams this week in interesting regional rivalries. At Morgan State, look for Towson defensive lineman Yaky Ibia to build on his sack totals, and at Georgetown look for the Hoyas to score their first offensive touchdown on the year. Running back Charlie Houghton might even score two.

Fightin’ Unitases 24, Fightin’ Roosevelt Browns 16
Hoyas Score-A 17, Georgia Brown’s Bison Burgers 6

BONUS GAME:

Marist at Bucknell. The Red Foxes come to Lewisburg at a good time for the Bison: they desperately need to develop some more offense and some more depth. The Red Foxes, who stunned Sacred Heart 31-12 on opening weekend but haven't scored much since, won against the Pioneers in a very Bucknell-esque way: through interception returns for touchdowns. Count on coach Landis to keep the ball on the ground more - and win the games.

Runnin' Bison 27, Flattened Foxes 12

Go...gate
September 25th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Nice work including the Towson game. AFAIAC, they are an honorary PL football member. They were very important to the Patriot League in the mid 1990's and they deserve the PL's appreciation.

carney2
September 26th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Lafayette (...and for you Carney)

I'll take it. Now, will the Pards do the same?

carney2
September 26th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Here are my picks for this week. Last week I went 5-1, putting me at 12-4 on the year. Subtract two Colgate losses and last week's Holy Cross/Harvard pick'em, I'd be 12-1.

And subtract all the ones I didn't pick correctly, I'd be 2-0.

Fordham
September 26th, 2009, 07:38 AM
And subtract all the ones I didn't pick correctly, I'd be 2-0.

xlolx

CrusaderBob
September 26th, 2009, 10:27 AM
5 - 1 last week to go to 12 - 4 on the year.

Lehigh
Georgetown
Bucknell
Colgate
Penn