PDA

View Full Version : JMU @ Liberty Preview/Game Thread

jcmanson
September 20th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Let's get it on

Dukie95
September 20th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Big game for the Dukes. They need to finish their OOC schedule at 2-1, so they can afford to absorb a couple losses in the brutal CAA South. Surviving with only one CAA loss would be VERY difficult this year.

Liberty is probably the toughest OOC FCS opponent anyone in the CAA South will face this year.

jcmanson
September 20th, 2009, 07:54 AM
And this is obviously a huge game for LU. A win against JMU would set us up for a great shot at the playoffs provided we win out. A win would also give us more respect nationwide. Should be a great atmosphere, we're expecting as much as 20,000. It's also our first annual hall of fame game with our first seven inductees into the hall of fame at halftime.

Madisonian
September 20th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I'm not going out on a limb here by saying that this game has all the makings for a classic trap... That being said, I still think the Dukes carry this game (rotating QBs) by two TDs. Its not as if JMU too isn't playing for a playoff berth and from what I have heard from MM & Co., Liberty has the Dukes' attention.

tribe ol
September 20th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I predict that no matter how many people are there, the LU athletic department announces a crowd of 16,000+....even though the stands will be about 80% full. If you ask any Flame fans what the PA announcer is talking about re: attendance, they will point to the 100 people milling around on the hill and concession area and claim that there are thousands of people there not in their seats.

ngineer
September 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM
And this is obviously a huge game for LU. A win against JMU would set us up for a great shot at the playoffs provided we win out. A win would also give us more respect nationwide. Should be a great atmosphere, we're expecting as much as 20,000. It's also our first annual hall of fame game with our first seven inductees into the hall of fame at halftime.

After watching your game with Lafayette, I could not agree with you more. IF you back up last night's win with a solid win over JMU, the Liberty should clearly be playoff bound. Problem with college kids, though, is they can start feeling too good about themselves and get 'surprised', i.e. USC. But all things being equal, the road to the playoffs is within your own control at this point.

th0m
Tough game, big for both schools. Early playoff implications. I don't think the Dukes will take this game lightly (unlike in the past perhaps)

IaaScribe
Tribe, that might have been the case the last time W&M made the trip to Lynchburg (and know exactly what you're saying here), but there legitimately wasn't an empty seat when NCCU was at Liberty two weeks ago, even on the press box side.

jcmanson
September 20th, 2009, 10:39 AM
After watching your game with Lafayette, I could not agree with you more. IF you back up last night's win with a solid win over JMU, the Liberty should clearly be playoff bound. Problem with college kids, though, is they can start feeling too good about themselves and get 'surprised', i.e. USC. But all things being equal, the road to the playoffs is within your own control at this point.

Don't worry, we won't start feeling too good about ourselves after our performance last night. We didn't play nearly well enough to beat JMU, and I'm sure our guys know that. We've been looking forward to this game all offseason.

As for the attendance, we had a legitimate 16,000+ for NCCU, yes NCCU. No doubt we get at least that much for JMU.

JMU_71
September 20th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I'm extremely worried about this game. It has the makings of a visit to Coastal four years ago that didn't turnout too well for the Dukes

soccerguy315
September 20th, 2009, 01:02 PM
is JMU still looking for a #1 QB? Or do they have one chosen? Or are they going to keep playing 2?

do any of the JMU ppl know?

Dukie95
September 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM
JMU fans seem to feel it should be Dudzik, but Mickey probably won't choose until CAA play starts.

JMU Newbill
September 21st, 2009, 06:29 AM
Dudzik has clearly proven he is the #1. I think Mickey is just trying to get Thorpe as many touches as he can early on just incase something happens to Dudzik. The VMI game was never really in question, and whether MM wants to admit it or not, he really didn't care all that much about the Maryland game. I think now that we are into our more meaningful games, Thorpe will only see the field on special occasions where we want to mix it up.

That being said, I am back and forth on whether I want to make the trip this weekend. What is the pregame situation like in Lynchburg? It's been a while since I have been there, but as I remember, its quite a conservative town. Can I atleast set up my grill behind my car, or will they get me for having an open flame?

Also, any word on whether tickets have sold out for this game? I'm sure I could find one online somewhere if I decide to come, but just wondering if Liberty officially sold out? Any other dukes making the trip?

jcmanson
September 21st, 2009, 06:59 AM
Umm, the culture has changed quite a bit since you've last been there. We'll have hundreds, probably thousands there tailgating as early as 3pm if not sooner. And no there aren't cops or conservative nazis (or whatever you want to call them) riding around looking to get people in trouble. Just don't be blatantly drunk and you should be fine.

As for tickets, unless you want to sit on the grass for $10 you better get them today. There's only one section left for tickets with a seat and it's section 7 (right next to JMU section).

JMU Newbill
September 21st, 2009, 07:17 AM
Umm, the culture has changed quite a bit since you've last been there. We'll have hundreds, probably thousands there tailgating as early as 3pm if not sooner. And no there aren't cops or conservative nazis (or whatever you want to call them) riding around looking to get people in trouble. Just don't be blatantly drunk and you should be fine.

As for tickets, unless you want to sit on the grass for $10 you better get them today. There's only one section left for tickets with a seat and it's section 7 (right next to JMU section).

Thanks for the info!

FWIW... that really wasn't meant to be a shot at Liberty or anything. I don't care about the drinking aspect, I just know from my past experiences there, things can be rather.... strict. But that sounds like a good time to me! I will go ahead and get my ticket today.

Thanks!

JMU Newbill
September 21st, 2009, 07:18 AM
Oh yea, one last thing.... can I still stop by the T-Room and get a cheesy in a bowl? Please say yes.

jcmanson
September 21st, 2009, 07:22 AM
Oh yea, one last thing.... can I still stop by the T-Room and get a cheesy in a bowl? Please say yes.

Yes xnodx

I didn't take the previous post as a shot, and we definitely have a good time.

jmufan999
September 21st, 2009, 08:13 AM

well i just bought my tickets from the JMU office for $10 and it's not in the grass.

IaaScribe
September 21st, 2009, 11:16 AM

Cheesy all the way is the only way to go. xnodx