PDA

View Full Version : All-Patriot League politics at play?

Pard4Life
December 12th, 2005, 10:10 PM
This topic came up previously but it just got me thinking again:

The All-American teams came out today and Maurice Bennett was named to the first team. Meanwhile, in the Patriot League, he did not even win DPOY. Instead that was given to Colgate's Nepa, who was not even named to any All-American team. Granted he is a good player and has a case, I am more puzzled as to why Bennett was not DPOY. After all, he was a Buchanan candidate the entire year. It had me grumbling a bit before but now it seems to be doubly irksome.

Perhpas could there be politics at play here?... as in Colgate getting all of the league's respect as the model program, thus getting favorable votes? I speculate 'politics' because I am aware that it does come into play in league voting (for example Fienstien discusses it in his book, which I am re-reading, when the Lehigh coach voted Ehlers POY over Savane).

And I'm sure to hear an earful from the Colgate people on this one. :rolleyes:

colgate13
December 12th, 2005, 10:52 PM
This topic came up previously but it just got me thinking again:

The All-American teams came out today and Maurice Bennett was named to the first team. Meanwhile, in the Patriot League, he did not even win DPOY. Instead that was given to Colgate's Nepa, who was not even named to any All-American team. Granted he is a good player and has a case, I am more puzzled as to why Bennett was not DPOY. After all, he was a Buchanan candidate the entire year. It had me grumbling a bit before but now it seems to be doubly irksome.

Perhpas could there be politics at play here?... as in Colgate getting all of the league's respect as the model program, thus getting favorable votes? I speculate 'politics' because I am aware that it does come into play in league voting (for example Fienstien discusses it in his book, which I am re-reading, when the Lehigh coach voted Ehlers POY over Savane).

And I'm sure to hear an earful from the Colgate people on this one. :rolleyes:

No earful from me. I think both players had a case to be made. But I don't think that it is clear cut that being one means you deserve the other. Nepa was the heart and soul of the defense and much more integral to Colgate winning the PL this year than Bennett was to Lafayette IMO. At Lafayette, Bennett was part of an outstanding trio, maybe one of I-AA's best.

That's without even getting into a discussion of stats, which show that he had a whopping 133 tackles.. but 90 of them assisted? Nepa's pulling down 105 tackles but 71 of them solo. That's a telling stat I think to the perception other coaches (those voting POY) would have. Nepa's bringing down people by himself; Bennett's part of a crew. Don't forget that Nepa led the league in INT's from his linebacker spot and scored twice off them. I'm pretty certain each one was at a crucial time too. He's also near the top of lists for forced fumbles, tackles for a loss, etc. Both players are tops, but the people who actually saw Nepa play gave him well deserved props.

But finally, I think you're really seeing things through spotted leopard glasses. Do you remember last year's OPOY contest? Joe McCourt wins it yet Jamaal Branch was the SN's 2nd team All-American running back; McCourt wasn't to be seen. Yes, he made the AFCA list, but do you see my point? Different bodies of voters see things differently. I don't chalk Nepa DPOY up to politics at all because I don't think we're seen as the model program. I think your friends from across the valley wear that banner (at least they think so ;))

Mr. C
December 12th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Both had really good years, though I think Bennett was better game-in and game-out. I would have picked Bennett for defensive player of the year, though when Bennett played at Appalachian State I thought he had a disappointing day. If I was judging just on the performances that Nepa and Bennett had in the playoffs, I might go with Nepa, but Bennett was a stud everytime I saw him on all of those Fox Pittsburgh broadcasts.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2005, 12:09 PM
IMVHO, Bennett should have been DPOY in the Patriot, though this year there were a large number of great defensive players in the league. Nepa, Bean, Bennett, Cardwell, Bennett, Conover... I even thought Costanzo and Witherspoon were also great.

I suppose you could say that "politics" were in play, but I don't think (say) Lehigh's SID purposefully stiffed Bennett out of the POY honor. More likely, SIDs just give it to the best player on the best team who won the championship (meaning, the I-AA playoff autobid). Last year, McCourt didn't have as good a year as Borda, yet Lafayette won the autobid, so... he got the OPOY honor.

Not saying it's right - I think Bennett probably deserved it too - but that's how I've seen it play out over the years.

colgate13
December 13th, 2005, 12:18 PM
I will also say though that for voters for All-American teams, much like ranking of teams, starting out in the preseason 'ranked' can certainly help where you end up at the end of the year.

My example of Branch in 2004 is a great one. I don't think he had an All-American 2nd team year in 2004, but the SN did.

cosmo here
December 13th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I suppose you could say that "politics" were in play, but I don't think (say) Lehigh's SID purposefully stiffed Bennett out of the POY honor. More likely, SIDs just give it to the best player on the best team who won the championship (meaning, the I-AA playoff autobid)

SIDs vote for a lot of things, but the coaches handle the all-league and player of the year voting for the Patriot League.

LBPop
December 13th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Don't forget that Nepa led the league in INT's from his linebacker spot and scored twice off them. I'm pretty certain each one was at a crucial time too. He's also near the top of lists for forced fumbles, tackles for a loss, etc.

Often the player with the more spectacular plays (INTs, TFLs, Forced Fumbles) gets the recognition. For what it's worth, a coach who has watched them both on a lot of film made the following comment (paraphrased) about Bennett: "He always affects the play. Even when not in on the tackle, he stuffs the lead blocker or forces the play away from where it is designed to go."

This was a great year for LBs in the league. It's kind of nice that both players picked up some hardware.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Gadzooks, how did I forget "I want to go pro" Ononibaku in my defensive POY list?!!?

I'd take our all-Patriot first team against the Houston Texans, BTW. Those 11 can play with anyone.

LBPop
December 13th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Gadzooks, how did I forget "I want to go pro" Ononibaku in my defensive POY list?!!?

The sad reality is that when your team doesn't win, you often get overlooked. Also, speaking of linebackers, that's where "Ono" will get his chance at the professional level. He doesn't have the frame to get NFL DE big, but he has the skills for linebacker. Problem is that it's easier to take a two-point stance guy and put his hand down, than to stand up a three-point stance guy.