PDA

View Full Version : Harvard's View Of PL Scholarships

DFW HOYA
September 19th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Well, they're against it. xnottalkingx

One note of interest is that the Crimson plan to "adjust" their schedule once Fordham offers scholarships, suggesting that a Fordham-Harvard series will not take place, and will add games with Georgetown and San Diego down the road.

The open question, of course, is where other Ivies are preparing to "adjust" schedules if teams follow Fordham's lead.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=529039

Franks Tanks
September 19th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Well, they're against it. xnottalkingx

One note of interest is that the Crimson plan to "adjust" their schedule once Fordham offers scholarships, suggesting that a Fordham-Harvard series will not take place, and will add games with Georgetown and San Diego down the road.

The open question, of course, is where other Ivies are preparing to "adjust" schedules if teams follow Fordham's lead.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=529039

They wont have anyone else to adjust to unless they want to play the Pioneer League

DFW HOYA
September 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM
They won't have anyone else to adjust to unless they want to play the Pioneer League

You're already seeing some trends in future Ivy schedules--with only three games a year to schedule, it's one Pioneer game (San Diego and Butler being the early beneficiaries), one wild-card team (Citadel, W&M, MEAC, etc.) and adding Georgetown as a safety game. Some of these schools wouldn't answer Georgetown's calls a few years ago, and now Princeton drops Colgate for a four game series with GU, Dartmouth's taking a game in DC without a return, and now Harvard is following suit.

The Ivies like the PL but they don't need the PL when all is said and done. Whether the reverse is true is an open discussion.

Tribe4SF
September 19th, 2009, 09:03 AM
The Ivies are stuck in a mindset that ignores their own possibilities. They imply that a move to scholarships will compromise their academic mission, and the quality of their student-athletes. There is no reason that must be the case. They will control their admissions, and will only compromise what they choose to compromise. W&M, and others, are showing that coexistence of scholarship football and academic integrity are more than possible, they are desirable.

bonarae
September 19th, 2009, 09:13 AM
The Ivies are stuck in a mindset that ignores their own possibilities. They imply that a move to scholarships will compromise their academic mission, and the quality of their student-athletes. There is no reason that must be the case. They will control their admissions, and will only compromise what they choose to compromise. W&M, and others, are showing that coexistence of scholarship football and academic integrity are more than possible, they are desirable.

Yes, but I'm afraid that this mindset may not be changed at all in our lifetimes. xnonono2x Something radical is needed for the Ivies to comply with the view of W&M et al.

aceinthehole
September 19th, 2009, 09:15 AM
The Ivys are unique. They make their own rules. I'm OK with that.

But its clear they Ivys are ducking many teams top FCS teams.

When Harvard is swapping out the the usual PL contenders like Fordham, Holy Cross, Lehigh, and Colgate for games vs. San Diego and Georgetown, then I question voters who would consider them for the preseason top-25.

And those teams struggiling in the Ivy are reaching even lower. Cornell signs a deal with Wagner and Dartmouth will play Sacred Heart. Its clear these teams are looking for wins. I just wonder what happens when they can't find wins vs. the PL or the NEC.

Ivytalk
September 19th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Nothing really new here. Move along!xwhistlex Sounds like Harvard's OOC schedule won't be too exciting in the coming years. Yale's already done the San Diego thing.

Sidebar: The kid who wrote the article is the son of one of Mrs. Ivy's college classmates. His dad was in my HU class, but I didn't meet him until our wedding day.

CrusaderBob
September 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM
If Harvard (and the rest of the Ivys) want to play San Diego rather than scholarship schools that still play with academically representative kids, like Fordham and the rest of a potentially scholarship PL, I think most in the PL will join me and say ...

Attention Crimson passengers ... please fasten your seatbelts, secure your trays, ensure that your seats are in the full upright and locked position, and enjoy your flight!

Fordham
September 19th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Why the agita over the PL adding scholarships (or at least us) when the Ivies have schools like Towson, Stony Brook, New Hampshire, on this or last year's schedules?

Digby
September 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM
The PL needs some more full members but obviously geographically the pickings are slim. Ideally it can get a couple and drop Fordham and still have a one-school margin over the auto-bid limit.
The league should have ousted Fordham after the NY school dropped out for basketball. Fordham football does not bring that much to the table. NYC exposure without NYC coverage is not a big boost.

Saint3333
September 19th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Isn't Princeton playing Citadel today...

RichH2
September 19th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Article and coaches comments a bit disingenuous as aid by Harvard particularly is as good as if not better than a full ride at most other schools.