PDA

View Full Version : FAMU 3-0 (2-0 MEAC) deserves to crack the Top 25 on Monday

R.A.
September 18th, 2009, 10:58 AM
26-12 over Delaware State
34-10 over Winston Salem State
48-10 over Howard

There are teams ranked, that haven't won a contest yet.

R.A.
September 18th, 2009, 11:02 AM
48-10 over Howard

The Rattlers deserve a ranking somewhere between #20-#25.

GannonFan
September 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM
It'll all sort itself out as the season moves on. That's the trouble with polls this early in the season, there's still much to learn about the teams. But it's not like FAMU has played a murderer's row here - those three teams were a combined 9-24 last year and none of them are supposed to be any good this year. But if FAMU keeps winning, getting ranked will happen easily enough.

GannonFan
September 18th, 2009, 11:04 AM
It'll all sort itself out as the season moves on. That's the trouble with polls this early in the season, there's still much to learn about the teams. But it's not like FAMU has played a murderer's row here - those three teams were a combined 9-24 last year and none of them are supposed to be any good this year. But if FAMU keeps winning, getting ranked will happen easily enough.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I think they might have a chance if they win on October 10th.

Oct 10th at Miami (FL)

89Hen
September 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
48-10 over Howard

Records aren't everything this early in the season. I would be shocked if Delaware doesn't beat DelSt by at least 3-4 TD's this weekend. Those three opponents are currently 0-5.

If you're going just on record, you'd also have to include Gardner-Webb, Hofstra, Old Dominion, NCA&T, Drake, Butler, Colgate, Southeastern Louisiana, Alabama A&M, Alabama State, etc...

89Hen
September 18th, 2009, 11:26 AM
48-10 over Howard

DelSt, WSSU and Howard have won a contest yet either. xpeacex

UNHWildCats
September 18th, 2009, 11:34 AM
it will depend on the bottom of my poll... but might have to wait another week and see how they do in an OOC game.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM
In all honesty, DSU's HU's and WSSU's wins this season could very well only come against each other.

Will Howard be favored against Georgetown next weekend?

Native
September 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Every homer loves his or her team, and rightfully so.

To make an argument for a team receive legitimate consideration for a ranking, however, one must make more detailed and specific comparisons against ranked teams, beyond the win-loss record.

R.A.
September 18th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Records aren't everything this early in the season. I would be shocked if Delaware doesn't beat DelSt by at least 3-4 TD's this weekend. Those three opponents are currently 0-5.

If you're going just on record, you'd also have to include Gardner-Webb, Hofstra, Old Dominion, NCA&T, Drake, Butler, Colgate, Southeastern Louisiana, Alabama A&M, Alabama State, etc...

Look at the talent and the coaching the Rattlers have this season.

Of all the teams you have listed, which do you think can defeat this season's Rattlers? Honestly?

QB Pulley's up for the Payton.

PR/CB Vann is the best returner in all of football.

Their team is loaded with All Conference players.

And Joe Taylor is their Head Coach.

They deserve a Top 25 ranking, now!

ISUMatt
September 18th, 2009, 12:02 PM
They deserve a Top 25 ranking, now!

Thats your opinion, not the majority of the voters obviously

R.A.
September 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Thats your opinion, not the majority of the voters obviously

It's not Monday yet, so we won;t know how the majority of the voters feel until the new polls are released, obviously.

R.A.
September 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Every homer loves his or her team, and rightfully so.

To receive legitimate consideration for a ranking, however, one must make more detailed and specific comparisons against ranked teams, beyond the win-loss record.

Okay, so how is Elon & Maine ranked so high? Who have they defeated?

Yet they're in the Top 25...

ISUMatt
September 18th, 2009, 12:12 PM
by u r bitter about not being able to vote arent you...maybe next time you will write that ***** down without throwing it away xlolx xnodx

Sorry man couldn't resist, just busting your nuts, all is good!!
Just cuz you are trying to get them ranked, Im not putting them in my poll now! xthumbsupx xlolx :D

Gil Dobie
September 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM

FAMU is on the radar xthumbsupx

onbison09
September 18th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Maine got taken to OT by St. Cloud State. And they're ranked. xconfusedx

GannonFan
September 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM

It helps when you are already in the top 25 with the preseason poll. Again, a flaw in having polls so early, but a reality nonetheless. Why the worry, though? Everything gets sorted out eventually - if FAMU is destined for a top 25 ranking, they'll get it. It's not like the MEAC hasn't gotten an at large bid before as well so if FAMU does well enough they could even get that should they not win the conference. I wouldn't get so worked up over their week 3 ranking or non-ranking, especially with those 3 games as the basis for it.

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2009, 12:54 PM
FAMU is on the radar...

I have several teams on the radar, some of who have more impressive results than the Rattlers. Hard to jump teams when the teams infront of you in the pecking order are also winning...

R.A.
September 18th, 2009, 01:12 PM
by u r bitter about not being able to vote arent you...maybe next time you will write that ***** down without throwing it away xlolx xnodx

Sorry man couldn't resist, just busting your nuts, all is good!!
Just cuz you are trying to get them ranked, Im not putting them in my poll now! xthumbsupx xlolx :D

xlolx

Next year!!

R.A.
September 18th, 2009, 01:15 PM
It helps when you are already in the top 25 with the preseason poll. Again, a flaw in having polls so early, but a reality nonetheless. Why the worry, though? Everything gets sorted out eventually - if FAMU is destined for a top 25 ranking, they'll get it. It's not like the MEAC hasn't gotten an at large bid before as well so if FAMU does well enough they could even get that should they not win the conference. I wouldn't get so worked up over their week 3 ranking or non-ranking, especially with those 3 games as the basis for it.

I've seen 9-2 MEAC squads left out of the playoffs before... SCSU 2004 & 2005.

danefan
September 18th, 2009, 01:24 PM

But did the CAA have 4 teams with FBS wins and 2 teams with near misses (JMU and UMass) in those seasons?

I have a feeling there will be a few deserving teams on the outside looking in this year because of what the CAA has done OOC.

WestCoastAggie
September 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM
But did the CAA have 4 teams with FBS wins and 2 teams with near misses (JMU and UMass) in those seasons?

I have a feeling there will be a few deserving teams on the outside looking in this year because of what the CAA has done OOC.

Not if Towson can win a game or two. xwhistlex

danefan
September 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Not if Towson can win a game or two. xwhistlex

That is exactly what non-CAA teams need to wish for. Upset wins by URI, Towson, Northeastern and Hofstra.

Without them the only loses the top CAA teams will have are to each other, and that won't keep them out of the playoffs.

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2009, 02:02 PM

Both those squads were really 8-2, since they played sub-Div I foes and both lost very important OOC games that would have really locked it up for them...

WestCoastAggie
September 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Both those squads were really 8-2, since they played sub-Div I foes and both lost very important OOC games that would have really locked it up for them...

Damn Benedict!

Rekdiver
September 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Okay

they can be in the top 25..........

WestCoastAggie
September 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM
All of this will not matter if the MEAC rep(s) does not win a first round game.

Big Dawg
September 18th, 2009, 03:42 PM
All we wanna do is continue to win ball games.

R.A.
September 18th, 2009, 04:42 PM

That's only half correct Tex.

-2004 was 8-2.. because of Benedict DII.

-2005 was 9-2... 1 or 2 point loss to Coastal Carolina in Orangeburg, and 4 point loss to Hampton on the road. Tavarus Jackson's Alabama State team was the team the Bulldogs defeated in the inaugural MEAC/SWAC Challenge. In 2005, it was widely believed that SCSU would either be the last team in the playoffs, or the 1st team not to make the playoffs. They were the 1st team not to make the playoffs :(

R.A.
September 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Okay

they can be in the top 25..........

xlolx

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2009, 06:04 PM
That's only half correct Tex.

-2005 was 9-2... 1 or 2 point loss to Coastal Carolina in Orangeburg, and 4 point loss to Hampton on the road. Tavarus Jackson's Alabama State team was the team the Bulldogs defeated in the inaugural MEAC/SWAC Challenge. In 2005, it was widely believed that SCSU would either be the last team in the playoffs, or the 1st team not to make the playoffs. They were the 1st team not to make the playoffs :(

Winston Salem State did NOT count as a Div I team in 2005. You beat them 52-12 at home. Correct me if I am wrong, but WSSU only played two Div I teams and the rest were sub-Div I.

So, 8-2...correct. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2009, 06:40 PM
It's not Monday yet, so we won;t know how the majority of the voters feel until the new polls are released, obviously.

I feel like they don't belong yet. xpeacex

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Don't blame me. I didn't vote for Maine.

R.A.
September 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Winston Salem State did NOT count as a Div I team in 2005. You beat them 52-12 at home. Correct me if I am wrong, but WSSU only played two Div I teams and the rest were sub-Div I.

So, 8-2...correct. xthumbsupx

I stand corrected.

xthumbsupx

putter
September 18th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I have been able to watch FAMU on TV for two games and they were clearly the best team on the field in both games. I was not impressed with their competition but if they keep on winning I am sure they will get their due.

WileECoyote06
September 18th, 2009, 11:54 PM
paying attention. I think they are talented on offense. I want to see their defense be challenged by a decent to good offense.

Saint3333
September 19th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Any more violations for this team in the future?

89Hen
September 19th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Look at the talent and the coaching the Rattlers have this season.
That's not unique to this season. Many MEAC teams have talent, but it doesn't seem to pan out when it comes to playing Top 20 teams.

R.A.
September 19th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Don't blame me. I didn't vote for Maine.

xthumbsupx

R.A.
September 19th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Any more violations for this team in the future?

No. From President Ammons, to Athletic Director Hayes, all the way to former Hampton coach & current FAMU Coach Joe Taylor... you're talking about one of the most disciplined "By the book" programs in the nation.

CAAisBOSS
September 20th, 2009, 03:50 AM
speaking of MEAC... the refs... worst in all of division 1 after seeing tonights game at NSU.

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM
They are #23 in the ballot I submitted. Also had South Carolina State in the top 25 still...

WestCoastAggie
September 20th, 2009, 02:42 PM
speaking of MEAC... the refs... worst in all of division 1 after seeing tonights game at NSU.

Can you tell us something we don't know? xcoffeex

R.A.
September 20th, 2009, 02:46 PM
They are #23 in the ballot I submitted. Also had South Carolina State in the top 25 still...

xthumbsupx

Tex, you're alright with me.

R.A.
September 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM

You must be new around here:D

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 01:41 AM
That's not unique to this season. Many MEAC teams have talent, but it doesn't seem to pan out when it comes to playing Top 20 teams.

Every team's different. Only time will tell.

GOODY26
September 22nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
All of this will not matter if the MEAC rep(s) does not win a first round game.

xnodx

GOODY26
September 22nd, 2009, 08:34 AM

xsmhx We have been dealing with those refs for years now.:o