PDA

View Full Version : Montana - New allegations

Squealofthepig
September 18th, 2009, 10:53 AM
http://www.montanakaimin.com/index.php/news/news_article/allegations_against_griz_football_players_surface/

Was surprised to not see this here yet - figured it'd be best to at least get the conversation started by a Griz fan. How true this is, I don't know, but something smells rotten here. :(

aggiemba
September 18th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I think it would be appropriate if the Griz had to forfeit their game against the Aggies because of this.

It is clear the Trumaine Johnson is just a thug. xmadx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM
This story is the in the cryman? It is really hard to follow and doesn't make much sense at all. I'm glad the writer is still in school and has a chance to learn to report properly.

That said, I would think there would be more articles about this and the police would be involved if it went down like was reported in the cryman.

R3TRO
September 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Shady

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 18th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I think it would be appropriate if the Griz had to forfeit their game against the Aggies because of this.

It is clear the Trumaine Johnson is just a thug. xmadx

You need to consider the source of this story. I'm not saying there might not be an truth to it, we don't know. But the source is not what I would call very reliable.

CDT_Wilson
September 18th, 2009, 11:08 AM
It seems like you see stories about football players beating up "innocent little students" a lot. They always seem to lack details. I have seen it here in Cedar Falls a couple times where kids just try to start stuff with football players cause they are the biggest kids in the bar and tend to get more attention from females. Luckily in those situations the players conducted themselves as gentleman and either ignored it or let security handle it. I have had some Napoleon complex young men try to goat me cause I am a little bigger (5'11" 205lbs). Kids get in fights all the time at college parties and bars, it only makes the paper when it happens to be an athlete. I understand athletes are and should be held to a higher standard, but in some cases they are just keeping themselves safe.

grizband
September 18th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Read the discussion on egriz.com for more details. Even the kids parents are saying this was handled appropriately, and should not continue to affect, or tarnish, these kids reputation. Unfortunately, the Kaiman is a student run newspaper, and they are apt to run stories without considering all of the facts first.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2009, 11:17 AM
It's not news that football players get suspended. It's also not news about the actions by Hauck, which were 100% appropriate (game suspension).

What IS news is - if it's true - Hauck's reaction to the student reporters who were hounding him on the question of the suspension.

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM
It seems from reading egriz.com, that the kid was looking for a fight and got one. Sucks to be him.

AggieFinn
September 18th, 2009, 11:30 AM
What kind of student and teammate puts himself in a situation like this right before the start of the season anyway? It's just stupid.

“He said that the players were going to get in trouble for what they did,” McCarthy said. “He said, basically, that it was both our faults and we should just let it go.”

Setting a low standard for off the field conduct I think. xconfusedx

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Wasn't it better in simplier times?! When some idiot picked a fight, got his ass beat, and that was the end of it? Now whenever any student, doesn't have to be an athlete but it helps, does anything newsworthy the school takes a hit?

Native
September 18th, 2009, 11:37 AM
With all due respect to my many GRIZ friends, this is not acceptable. xnonox

IF the allegations are true, this is a very serious incident which requires more than a coverup and holding out a player for one game. Beating a kid to unconsciousness and celebrating with a gang dance is way beyond "kids will be kids." xnonono2x

Clean up your house before the NCAA and everybody else gets involved!

Native
September 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM
It seems like you see stories about football players beating up "innocent little students" a lot. They always seem to lack details. I have seen it here in Cedar Falls a couple times where kids just try to start stuff with football players cause they are the biggest kids in the bar and tend to get more attention from females. Luckily in those situations the players conducted themselves as gentleman and either ignored it or let security handle it. I have had some Napoleon complex young men try to goat me cause I am a little bigger (5'11" 205lbs). Kids get in fights all the time at college parties and bars, it only makes the paper when it happens to be an athlete. I understand athletes are and should be held to a higher standard, but in some cases they are just keeping themselves safe.

This is not a "kids will be kids" story! If true, it's a story about privileged kids getting special breaks to cover up criminal activity. If you are on scholarship for anything, including football, your behavior better be exemplary, period!

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2009, 11:44 AM
This is not a "kids will be kids" story! If true, it's a story about privileged kids getting special breaks to cover up criminal activity. If you are on scholarship for anything, including football, your behavior better be exemplary, period!

It is nice though, that it is only one side of the story. xeyebrowx

CDT_Wilson
September 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM

There was no police report filed. How is it criminal? It sounded like a punk picked a fight because he thought the players wouldn't fight back and when they did they brought the pain. If you read the story it sounds like it was written by a tree hugger who is buddies with the kid who got beat down.
The football players are Student athletes. Part of being a student is going to student parties. If you lock them down they don't learn anything and end up becomeing an adult like pac man jones or mike vick.

CDT_Wilson
September 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
It also sounds like the coach disciplined his players before the papers story and with no police report. Makes it sound like the kids told the coach what happened and he took proper action against his players and by calling the boy who got beat ups father ( who didn't say anything which means he probably thought his kid deserved it). It almost sounds like the coach handled it how a father would handle his own son. That is the kind of man a parent should trust their child with.

Gordon Shumway
September 18th, 2009, 12:00 PM

There is a little bit more than one side of a story going on here. Why would the coach be calling the students and parents apologizing, and seemingly trying to quash the incident, if it wasn't at least close to the report linked? His reaction to continued questioning says a lot as well.

It is always troubling when athletes being given a free education don't seem to have the discipline to stay out of trouble. It will always be exposed, and will always reflect badly on the school.

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2009, 12:02 PM
There is a little bit more than one side of a story going on here. Why would the coach be calling the students and parents apologizing, and seemingly trying to quash the incident, if it wasn't at least close to the report linked? His reaction to continued questioning says a lot as well.

It is always troubling when athletes being given a free education don't seem to have the discipline to stay out of trouble. It will always be exposed, and will always reflect badly on the school.

If the coach thought the kid deserved every bit of what he deserved, from the side of the story that he heard. He gave the kids dad a ring and said sorry your kid is a doofus and what-not, apparently the kids dad agreed.

JALMOND
September 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Sometimes you need to evaluate the source and kind of read between the lines to get what really happened. The Kaimin, while one of the better student run newspapers in the country, is still just that, a student run newspaper. Sometimes in journalism, stories will get run based on skimpy fact finding at the risk of losing the "scoop". The Portland Trubune does this quite a bit and they are all out of school and should know better.

Obviously a drunken frat party night and someone got beat up. Someone was unconscious, but was it due to the fight or to the booze? If it was serious, why did no one at the party bother to call the police? Hauck disciplined the two players by sitting them out of the first game, a procedure that seems appropriate for the team, the coach, and also the father of one of the students involved.

What it appears is someone shot their mouth off when they were drunk and paid for it physically, and the Kaimin thought they had a major "scoop" here and ran with it without taking some extra time and checking all the facts. Unfortunately, this type of journalistic behavior happens all the time nowadays, and not just in student newspapers.

Silenoz
September 18th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Ah, both of our starting corners. Awesome

Hellgate60
September 18th, 2009, 12:19 PM
So I graduated with Grady from High School. He likes to run his mouth. I heard this story when it happened from my friends. Grady called Trumaine a racist term under his breath. Trumaine heard it and called some of his friends over to the house. They then started to beat him up

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM
So I graduated with Grady from High School. He likes to run his mouth. I heard this story when it happened from my friends. Grady called Trumaine a racist term under his breath. Trumaine heard it and called some of his friends over to the house. They then started to beat him up

SO he got exactly what he deserved.

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM
If the injuries were as severe as the Kaimin claims, wouldn't the hospital be required to notifiy the police?

Also, from what I have heard, Hauck and the Kaimin have had a toxic relationship in the past. I think that might still be the case, it seems like the Kaimin threw little jab in when they included the quote with Hauck using and explative. You think that the writer would have cleaned that up a bit just to give himself some journalistic integrity.

Hellgate60
September 18th, 2009, 12:22 PM

All my friends, including me, were not surprised that this happened to him

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM
All my friends, including me, were not surprised that this happened to him

Maybe next time he won't run his mouth off if he cannot back it up.

R3TRO
September 18th, 2009, 12:28 PM

So, a 3v1 fight it was he deserved? You're retarded.

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 18th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Maybe thats why the kids dad seemed to think Hauck handeled the situation clearly. He might hope that that info doesn't get out in fear that it could hurt his families image to other people. Or this could have been a problem with the kid growing up and he hopes this is a way to teach him a lesson.(But if thats the case it will probable just give the kid more of a negative view of people from different cultures)

Native
September 18th, 2009, 12:30 PM

I take your point. That's why I said, "IF true..."

uofmman1122
September 18th, 2009, 12:44 PM
lol

What a terrible story, which is why I hardly read the Kaimin anymore.

Starts off as this big "Look at these thugs" story, which becomes a complete non-story at the end, once the pieces start coming together. Hell, even the guy who got beat up seemed to praise Johnson at the end. xlolx

While I don't agree that the kid got what he deserved, since our football players shouldn't resort to violence over something so petty, I doubt this is worthy of labeling them thugs and kicking them off the team.

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2009, 12:50 PM

IF the allegations are true, this is a very serious incident which requires more than a coverup and holding out a player for one game. Beating a kid to unconsciousness and celebrating with a gang dance is way beyond "kids will be kids." xnonono2x

xnonox

How do you know?? Maybe he is deaf and was using some sign-language to someone? Maybe he was really excited and he was signing way too fast?

What actually constitutes a " gang dance " anyway? Is it any player, or only the black ones, jumping up and down being excited?

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 18th, 2009, 01:03 PM
It seems like a lot people are concerned about the journalism future at the University of Montana, myself being included.xlolx

mtgrizzly
September 18th, 2009, 01:12 PM
What kind of student and teammate puts himself in a situation like this right before the start of the season anyway? It's just stupid.

“He said that the players were going to get in trouble for what they did,” McCarthy said. “He said, basically, that it was both our faults and we should just let it go.”

Setting a low standard for off the field conduct I think. xconfusedx

If you read the article this supposedly happened back in march

alexale23
September 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Is anyone really surprised? Seems like every year someone from montana has a legal problem

Native
September 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
If the coach thought the kid deserved every bit of what he deserved, from the side of the story that he heard. He gave the kids dad a ring and said sorry your kid is a doofus and what-not, apparently the kids dad agreed.

Point taken. If my kid started a fight I might be satisfied as a parent with the results as well.

HOWEVER, as a fan, donor and taxpayer I am not satisfied in the least. IF the story is true as written, the players' inexcusable actions and Hauck's dishonorable coverup bring severe disrepute to an otherwise fantastic program.

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Point taken. If my kid started a fight I might be satisfied as a parent with the results as well.

HOWEVER, as a fan, donor and taxpayer I am not satisfied in the least. IF the story is true as written, the players' inexcusable actions and Hauck's dishonorable coverup bring severe disrepute to an otherwise fantastic program.

Considering the story came from the Kaimen and from a reporter, if you could call him that from his past less than steller STORIES, it is a pretty big IF.

Native
September 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
xnonox

How do you know?? Maybe he is deaf and was using some sign-language to someone? Maybe he was really excited and he was signing way too fast?

xlolx xlolx xlolx

xnonox
What actually constitutes a " gang dance " anyway? Is it any player, or only the black ones, jumping up and down being excited?

I don't know what color the players are. I only referenced the linked article, which used the words, "gang dance," but ONLY after qualifying my opinion with the word "IF".

What was the red chicklet for? You don't like my opinion? If I did not violate the TOS, you should not hand out red chicklets for an opposing opinion.

Native
September 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Considering the story came from the Kaimen and from a reporter, if you could call him that from his past less than steller STORIES, it is a pretty big IF.

I actually believe you that this may be the case. Some of the student reporters at the Weber student paper are incompetent and biased as well.

BUT if all the facts of the story are true, the actions of the athletes are inexcusable.

In my opinion, unless the story is proven NOT to be true, you GRIZ fans who support Hauck's coverup are making a big mistake.

Native
September 18th, 2009, 02:10 PM

This post deserves a "racist" label and red chicklet from you, Grizzaholic?!??? xoopsx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 18th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Agreed... if it were anybody else they be prosecuted for felony assault. Suspension for 1 game!? Like that's much of a punishment. Lagaurette Blount was suspended for the entire season, and he only threw one punch. Kicking a kid in the face while he's unconscious and on the ground is F****D up! xnonono2x

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2009, 02:12 PM
From egriz http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38664&start=25

BY: GGNez

As someone who has known the details of the incident from the beginning, I would like to set a few of you straight on some of your facts. First, it should be known that Hauck handled this very well. He is a loving father himself and took it very seriously from the beginning. The incident occurred many months ago and as far as the parties involved were concerned ( father and son McCarthy and the two players), it was water under the bridge. The fight itself was something that all of the kids were culpable in an all regret. TJ and Swink were punished swiftly and appropriately by BH and made to work extra hard all summer, prior to being suspended from the opening game. Both players called Grady and his father and offered sincere apologies regarding that night. Both players have since become friends with Grady. Both Grady and his father told the Kaimin reporter that they DID NOT want this article printed. Both Grady and his father are perfectly pleased with the way that BH handled it.
Additionally, I know Joe Glenn and I believe that he would have come down on these kids, as BH did, and worked them hard. But, he would have also, given the positive response to the punishments that Swink and TJ showed, given them a chance to redeem themselves – as they have.
One final point, any and all of you suggesting that TJ or Swink were making gang-affiliated comments the night of the fight or flashing gang signs during the game are coming across as red-neck racists. These are two essentially good kids who got into some trouble and were sufficiently punished many months ago.

Native
September 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
From egriz.

BY: GGNez

As someone who has known the details of the incident from the beginning, I would like to set a few of you straight on some of your facts. First, it should be known that Hauck handled this very well. He is a loving father himself and took it very seriously from the beginning. The incident occurred many months ago and as far as the parties involved were concerned ( father and son McCarthy and the two players), it was water under the bridge. The fight itself was something that all of the kids were culpable in an all regret. TJ and Swink were punished swiftly and appropriately by BH and made to work extra hard all summer, prior to being suspended from the opening game. Both players called Grady and his father and offered sincere apologies regarding that night. Both players have since become friends with Grady. Both Grady and his father told the Kaimin reporter that they DID NOT want this article printed. Both Grady and his father are perfectly pleased with the way that BH handled it.
Additionally, I know Joe Glenn and I believe that he would have come down on these kids, as BH did, and worked them hard. But, he would have also, given the positive response to the punishments that Swink and TJ showed, given them a chance to redeem themselves – as they have.
One final point, any and all of you suggesting that TJ or Swink were making gang-affiliated comments the night of the fight or flashing gang signs during the game are coming across as red-neck racists. These are two essentially good kids who got into some trouble and were sufficiently punished many months ago.

So now we have two points of view and no evidence. Apparently there will be no witness statements under oath because the entire story has been covered up by Hauck and Montana's adoring fans.

I'm a dad and a coach! I believe all kids are "essentially good kids...," but that does not excuse the behavior described in the article.

I have been consistent in my support for some GRIZ players on these pages, admiration for the Montana program, and friendship with so many Montana fans, but this is not a good development for Montana, the Big Sky, or college football.

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM
There is no cover-up.

1: the kid has a big mouth
2: the kid opened his big mouth and picked a fight
3: the kid got a beating and will likely not be a doofus again
4: It is over and done with

Native
September 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM
There is no cover-up.

Screaming Eagle's post is more accurate. If it had been done by anyone else they would not be as likely to get away with it.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 18th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Screaming Eagle's post is more accurate. If it had been done by anyone else they would not be as likely to get away with it.

So explain what the other person had to give up that was equally responsible? The players had to sit a game, do extra workouts, that part we know. They should make the other kid go to sensitivity training or something xrolleyesx

Native
September 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM
So explain what the other person had to give up that was equally responsible? The players had to sit a game, do extra workouts, that part we know. They should make the other kid go to sensitivity training or something xrolleyesx

The other person (one person) was apparently knocked unconscious by a group of student-thug-athletes (more than one person). If he started the fight by uttering an offensive word, what should the punishment have been?

Regardless, I stand by my assertion that scholarship athletes must be held to a higher standard.

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 18th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I'm sure Montana is the only school in the nation who had an issue with an athlete that was handled within the athletic department.xrolleyesx

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 18th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Regardless, I stand by my assertion that scholarship athletes must be held to a higher standard.[/QUOTE]

What if the student who was beaten up has an academic scholarship? Should he lose his academic scholarship if he was running around directing racial slurs towards other students?

Native
September 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM

I was hard on Eteuati last year when he had his troubles at Weber. He didn't knock anyone unconscious, but missed half the season and lost his rythm in the process.

If Montana fans are satisfied with this result, I am sad for an otheerwise stellar program.

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
The other person (one person) was apparently knocked unconscious by a group of student-thug-athletes (more than one person). If he started the fight by uttering an offensive word, what should the punishment have been?

Regardless, I stand by my assertion that scholarship athletes must be held to a higher standard.

And did you throw your Weber St. WR under the bus last year after all of his legal troubles FINALLY came to light? I don't remember you saying word one.

Please post a link.

Native
September 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
What if the student who was beaten up has an academic scholarship? Should he lose his academic scholarship if he was running around directing racial slurs towards other students?

Heck yes, there should be consequences! Evcen if he is not on scholarship there should be consequences! Don't you think so?

griz8791
September 18th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Native, I had a heated argument about this today with one of my buddies. He faults the paper and thinks there is nothing to see here. I don't agree and am troubled by the idea that the program can decide for itself, apparently without much meaningful oversight, what it will choose to handle "internally."

On the other hand, I think you go too far when you say "Apparently there will be no witness statements under oath because the entire story has been covered up by Hauck and Montana's adoring fans." There are claims that the victim and his family tried to prevent the paper from running the story. Moreover, the victim is quoted in the story as saying Johnson has already been appropriately punished. Not sure I agree with him about that, but the point is how is it a cover-up if the victim won't step on the gas?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 18th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I was hard on Eteuati last year when he had his troubles at Weber. He didn't knock anyone unconscious, but missed half the season and lost his rythm in the process.

If Montana fans are satisfied with this result, I am sad for an otheerwise stellar program.

My biggest problem with the story is the timing. It sounds like it was a long time ago and the student newspaper which has always sucked, is just stirring the pot when there wasn't much to stir.

As to how these events are similar, they really aren't. Eteuati faced charges, warrants for communication fraud, aggravated assault, and retail theft. I really fail to see how they are even close, sorry. 6 game suspension for that seems pretty accurate.

Native
September 18th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Native, I had a heated argument about this today with one of my buddies. He faults the paper and thinks there is nothing to see here. I don't agree and am troubled by the idea that the program can decide for itself, apparently without much meaningful oversight, what it will choose to handle "internally."

On the other hand, I think you go too far when you say "Apparently there will be no witness statements under oath because the entire story has been covered up by Hauck and Montana's adoring fans." There are claims that the victim and his family tried to prevent the paper from running the story. Moreover, the victim is quoted in the story as saying Johnson has already been appropriately punished. Not sure I agree with him about that, but the point is how is it a cover-up if the victim won't step on the gas?

Points well taken. Thank you for the correction.

Native
September 18th, 2009, 03:22 PM
And did you throw your Weber St. WR under the bus last year after all of his legal troubles FINALLY came to light? I don't remember you saying word one.

Please post a link.

OK. Here is the link: http://www.bigskyfans.com/wildcats/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=389&p=3910&hilit=eteuati#p3910

Now take away the red chicklet.

Recall that Bryant Eteuati did not gang up on someone and knock them unconscious. On the link above, you will find my post last year to my fellow Weber fans on the Wildcat forum, regarding not whether Bryant Eteuati should be allowed to play, but whether he should even be recognized on "Senior Day" with the other players:

"...No, with all due respect to my friends and colleagues on this board.

Yes, innocent until proven guilty in a court of criminal law as far as his legal standing with the school and the team.

Yes, if and only if the WSU administration has conducted its own investigation and has either found the charges baseless or at least verified that Bryant has performed restitution appropriate to any actual crimes committed.

No, as far as his moral standing with the team, unless such an investigation has been conducted by the WSU administration. Absent any unpublished information that Bryant is innocent or has made sincere restitution to the victims of his crimes, he should not participate in any ceremonies with the team.

Great responsibility cuts both ways. Bryant has brought success and glory to his team. But until he demonstrates his actual innocence or makes restitution, Bryant Eteuati has brought ill repute and caused irreparable damage to himself, his family, his team, his school, his community and the game of football.

Getting lawyered up and pleading innocent is not the same as being innocent. I do not claim to know the facts or Bryant's heart, but Weber State University need not wait for the findings of the court to conduct their own internal investigations. It is my hope and expectation that the WSU administration has indeed conducted an investigation and made best efforts to understand Bryant's heart and verify his efforts to do right, and based its response on such.

If we do not hold Bryant up to manly standards of redemption, we have failed not only ourselves, but we have failed Bryant Eteuati."

putter
September 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
For all you conspiracy theorists, if it was so bad and a blatent, severe attack then why hasn't the kids father pressed charges? Whey hasn't he gone to the police himself to stand up for his son? If it was your son you would stand up for him would you not? Maybe the fathers silence is one, his son lipped off and, unfortunately, did it to someone who retaliated. I don't condone the fight and prefer that the football players walk away but the fathers silence speaks more than any of your "cover up" talk.

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM

Heck yes, there should be consequences! Evcen if he is not on scholarship there should be consequences! Don't you think so?[/QUOTE]

I think that if he provoked a fight by directing racial slurs towards people of a different race there should be consequences of some sort. Montana is a pretty homogeneous state, and given some peoples view points this could be a very difficult place to live if you are of different races or cultures. My issue is that because the story is coming from the Kaimin, who historically has butted heads with hauck and had issues with athletics at Montana, the details may be overblown. It seems both Grady and his father feel the issue was not too serious and since they are the victims in the situation I am leaning towards the belief that some details may have been axaggerated by the Kaimin.

Since they are so few details about the actual attack, and since there appears to be no police involvement, I feel that this is a case where because of past occurances at the university people are being unfairly judged. If it comes out that this attack was as vicious as the Kaimin contends than i feel stiffer penalties are in order for Trumaine and Swink. But at this point it feels like something that may have been more of a minor issue is being blown up into something major by people who may not have too many facts. xtwocentsx

Native
September 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM

I think that if he provoked a fight by directing racial slurs towards people of a different race there should be consequences of some sort. Montana is a pretty homogeneous state, and given some peoples view points this could be a very difficult place to live if you are of different races or cultures. My issue is that because the story is coming from the Kaimin, who historically has butted heads with hauck and had issues with athletics at Montana, the details may be overblown. It seems both Grady and his father feel the issue was not too serious and since they are the victims in the situation I am leaning towards the belief that some details may have been axaggerated by the Kaimin.

Since they are so few details about the actual attack, and since there appears to be no police involvement, I feel that this is a case where because of past occurances at the university people are being unfairly judged. If it comes out that this attack was as vicious as the Kaimin contends than i feel stiffer penalties are in order for Trumaine and Swink. But at this point it feels like something that may have been more of a minor issue is being blown up into something major by people who may not have too many facts. xtwocentsx

Points well taken, but I am not satisfied with what I know at this point about Bobby Hauck's response.

mtgrizfan4life
September 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM
This comment is mine from eGRIZ. For those reading this in their late teens or early 20's, not trying to offend anyone, but take it as you will. I know most of today's younger generation are good people.

Christ sakes this is ridiculous!!!!!!! How stupid are college kids (athletes and regular students)? Seriously, do kids these days not take advice from their parents, family, and older friends? I am not siding with one side or the other, but really am questioning today's youth as a whole. How many of us recall our teen and early 20's?

I recall those years as being very challenging, and because of that my family and friends were there to support me. I heard countless times all the warnings and advice given to me by adults, friends, family, teachers, etc. Despite them, I still put myself in questionable situations, intentional or not. Thankfully none of those situations crossed these lines here. Why? when I did put myself in bad situations, that was when remembered what I was told by people that cared about me, and common sense won out.

Seriously how tough is it to use common sense at that age? How many of us heard the "be careful of the company you keep" speech. The "if you party/have fun, etc just do it responsibly" speech. The "do not add fuel to a fire" speech. The "keep your lip zipped if you are not sure of your surroundings" speech. The "if you feel uncomfortable or questioning where you are at or who are with, GET OUT" speech. Hell the list of advise and speeches most of us were given could go on forever.

If I were any of these students in this incident my family's attitude would be "You knew better to do what were doing, why were you doing what you were doing, and their are consequences for every action." The consequences of being at a party was a fight breaking out, and someone getting hurt. Regardless of what applied to whom, all the students/athletes should not have been in the situation to begin with! As my dad and grandparents said "If you put yourself in a bad situation and bad things happen, you only have yourself to blame, you know better." I do not know the details and do not know who did what, but do know all parties involved are guilty, guilty of no common sense. They all have nobody to blame but themselves. Yes if I were the father of the kid that got hurt, I would not be headhunting for the football players, but would be lecturing my kid how he should not have been in that situation to begin with.

IF I were the father or coach of any of the players, same rules would apply to them too. As a coach though, I would also be more pissed that they know they are in the spotlight more, and that made their decisions even more stupid. I would hand out whatever the punishment I feel would fit the crime, but would be continually pissed that I still have some players that just do not get the point, and wish I could babysit them 24/7.

Sorry, I have no sympathy for anyone involved in dumb incidents such as this one. They are old enough to know better. Too bad they are not smart enough to know better. That goes for every party going college student, athlete or not. Things like this happen at parties, and exactly why you have the choice to leave before you are involved in something like this. They were all stupid!

Note: since starting this post I see other post occurred too. Let me be the 1st to commend the involved parents on how they all handled the situation. That is how I would have wanted to handle it as a parent too. IF I were happy with outcome of the situation, I too would have told the Kaimin or any media I had nothing more to comment and it has been handled appropriately in my eyes. My hats off and I applaud these parents, and hope their kids learn from their parents on this one.

putter
September 18th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Points well taken, but I am not satisfied with what I know at this point about Bobby Hauck's response.

What do you know about Bobby's response at all? I am sure he heard about the incident, sat down with the boys involved - told them how stupid they were - suspended them for one game. The AD was probably involved because of what has happened in the past and I have to imagine that there were conversations with the family of the other boy to get their hands around the situation. The Kaiman's response of using an expletive could have been his reaction for continued questions that have been answered before. Speculation on my part but reading the article showed me a rather biased slant on the fight.

uofmman1122
September 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM
What do you know about Bobby's response at all? I am sure he heard about the incident, sat down with the boys involved - told them how stupid they were - suspended them for one game. The AD was probably involved because of what has happened in the past and I have to imagine that there were conversations with the family of the other boy to get their hands around the situation. The Kaiman's response of using an expletive could have been his reaction for continued questions that have been answered before. Speculation on my part but reading the article showed me a rather biased slant on the fight.I'm pretty sure he's referring to his use of the F word to the press that wouldn't leave him alone.

Given the way this "Story" went, especially with how everything was settled between everyone long before this story even was printed, I'd have told the Kaimin to F off, as well.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 18th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure he's referring to his use of the F word to the press that wouldn't leave him alone.

Given the way this "Story" went, especially with how everything was settled between everyone long before this story even was printed, I'd have told the Kaimin to F off, as well.

Just the word cryman(pronounced Kaimen) makes me think of the F word :D

catbob
September 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I'm not going to take sides here, but as a football player on the state's biggest sports draw (I'll concede here Griz fans :)), you should know better to get into any sort of altercation. If I had a scholarship you'd be damned sure I wouldn't do anything to risk losing it. I wasn't that lucky so I guess it is easy for me to not sympathize with these guys.

You just have to keep a cooler head than that. In the grand scheme of things it probably isn't a big deal, but it was far from a smart decision. The guy sounds like he had it comin', but that doesn't mean Swink & Johnson should have been the ones to give it to him.

CrazyCat
September 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM
IMO, the situation was handled correctly with internal punishments and apologies all around. My only thought was that the father is described as "a big Griz fan." What happens in this incident if he wasn't?

xpeacex

JALMOND
September 18th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Apparently it is old news and the Kaimin is trying to hash it up for some strange reason (maybe to sell some papers). I say take it at its source, look at it as water under the bridge and move on. Obviously, every one involved except the Kaimin has moved on from this.

How gullible are we as a human race? If the Kaimin wants to set up a broadcast signal on Mount Sentinel saying over and over, "Special news today about your college football program. Read it all in the Kaimin", do I have to do it? I would love to show the Griz in any kind of negative situation, but this seems to be old and rehashed drivvel, set up by their own student newspaper to make it seem like the Kaimin is relevant (just like the Portland Tribune).

mtgrizfan4life
September 18th, 2009, 05:48 PM
The reality of it is, the Kaimin does not have any money to make from this. These are free school papers sponsored by the school to get the students experience. Speaking of experience, I think BH gave the reporter a taste of reality beyond the Kaimin. It goes to show the world of journalism sometimes has it's downs too.

aggiemba
September 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Griz should obviously have to forfiet the game against Davis. Johnson is a thug.

SDFS
September 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM
There is no cover-up.

Based on what I read, you are missing some very important points.

2a: Kid and player scuffle in the house.
2b: Player called friends over to the house.
2c: Kid walked away and was outside the house leaving.
2d: Players and friends jump kid.... hmmmm

I do not care if the kid is a loud mouth.. verbal actions do not condone physical actions... in this case getting jumped outside the house as he left the area. PLAYERS should get it handed to them - they acted like the punks!!

Then we he is defenseless.. they start kicking the kid.. anyone defending the PLAYERS needs to get a clue!!! What the kid did was wrong no doubt. But, what players did after was much, much WORSE. If you do not see that.. take a good look in the mirror - you need help.

Shellin
September 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Griz should obviously have to forfiet the game against Davis. Johnson is a thug.

xrolleyesx

mtgrizfan4life
September 18th, 2009, 06:22 PM
This happens in most schools, for athletes and non athletes alike. Really we are making a bigger deal of this than the student, athletes, and parents did. They were satisfied in the outcome, explanations, etc from this. In their eyes and minds it is over and done with. Why are we making a big deal of this?

All the students/athletes involved should have had enough common sense to not be in that position to begin with! They all are guilty of bad judgment and no common sense in this situation. They learned a lesson, and I doubt any of these athletes/students involved will be in this position again with this kind of bad outcome.

Seriously, I commend the parents of the kids for addressing it the way they did, and hope their kids learn from them in this case.

EmeryZach
September 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Is there anyone on this site that is the least bit suprised when a Montana player gets accused of doing something illegal? I mean all teams have these problems, including UMass, but Montana just seems to always get nailed with it.

aggiemba
September 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Is there anyone on this site that is the least bit suprised when a Montana player gets accused of doing something illegal? I mean all teams have these problems, including UMass, but Montana just seems to always get nailed with it.

It is clearly a reflection of the "tone at the top", appraently Huack is a thug also, or at least a closet gang supporter. He is willingy to sully the Montana reputation to cover-up an incident his player is involved with, while condoning the flashing of gang hand gestures by the same player.

uofmman1122
September 18th, 2009, 07:40 PM
It is clearly a reflection of the "tone at the top", appraently Huack is a thug also, or at least a closet gang supporter. He is willingy to sully the Montana reputation to cover-up an incident his player is involved with, while condoning the flashing of gang hand gestures by the same player.Did you even read the article where it clearly said from one of the victim's friends that Bobby was "livid" when he found out about any sort of gang anything?

Griz should obviously have to forfiet the game against Davis. Johnson is a thug.Honestly, go be a racist troll somewhere else. xnonono2x

ncbears
September 18th, 2009, 08:07 PM
It seems from reading egriz.com, that the kid was looking for a fight and got one. Sucks to be him.

Consider the source. It's egriz dude.

NC Aggie
September 18th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Maybe next time he won't run his mouth off if he cannot back it up.

So are we supposed to be impressed that a football player beats up a nerd? Why do Montana fans constantly want to make excuses? He acted like a thug. Just leave it at that. Your coach should get a hold of a thesarus and knock off the potty mouth.

putter
September 18th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Just watching Boise vs. Fresno and ESPN asked the Boise coach about what he did to the player who instigated the fight with the Oregon player...coach stated that the player was reprimanded and they don't comment on internal disciplinary actions. Guess Boise are a bunch of thugs in a bad program also.

NC Aggie
September 18th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Just watching Boise vs. Fresno and ESPN asked the Boise coach about what he did to the player who instigated the fight with the Oregon player...coach stated that the player was reprimanded and they don't comment on internal disciplinary actions. Guess Boise are a bunch of thugs in a bad program also.

Peterson also said he didn't discipliine based upon what the other team did. In other words he still dealt with his end even though most of the media was focused on the Oregon guy. You don't have control over others just your own team.

DuckDuckGriz
September 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM

Ha. You don't even know him, and judging by your posts it just sounds like you're a very poor loser, and a bigot at that. Don't be making generalizations just because your QB choked in the redzone.

JALMOND
September 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I like to bash Griz problems too, but I think that 8 pages is way too much, considering that, from the comments here, this is a done deal in Missoula. Why should it concern us? I'd rather bash more current Griz events.

The only thing "new" in this is that most (if not all) of the "combatants" have all made nice and made up. We should all take heed and quit making this more than it is. On to the next Griz instance...

Shellin
September 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I like to bash Griz problems too, but I think that 8 pages is way too much, considering that, from the comments here, this is a done deal in Missoula. Why should it concern us? I'd rather bash more current Griz events.

The only thing "new" in this is that most (if not all) of the "combatants" have all made nice and made up. We should all take heed and quit making this more than it is. On to the next Griz instance...

xoutofrepx

Yeah, reading the thread I think pretty much everyone is in agreement...what the guy did was stupid, what the Griz players did was stupid and the situation has been dealt with. Hopefully Johnson and Swink learned from this mistake and don't make any similar ones moving forward.

elkmcc
September 18th, 2009, 10:36 PM
As the person that knows more about the situation than anyone I am astounded by the absurdities and disgusting posts. Grady did not provoke a fight, the players did not plan on kicking Grady in the head. ***** happens. Both Grady and and the players acknowledge that. Grady and the players are friends. The inept and devious UM newspaper were looking for a story. Forget peoples reputations. This is a story that can attract readership. The shame belongs to the Kaimin, who I warned not to bring this to press. Guess what Kaimin, you look like ****. You are ****. Shame on you.

SteelCurtain
September 18th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Ha. You don't even know him, and judging by your posts it just sounds like you're a very poor loser, and a bigot at that. Don't be making generalizations just because your QB choked in the redzone.

Great post!!! Forfeit the game??? xlolxxlolx

That's funny!!!

EmeryZach
September 18th, 2009, 10:43 PM
As the person that knows more about the situation than anyone I am astounded by the absurdities and disgusting posts. Grady did not provoke a fight, the players did not plan on kicking Grady in the head. ***** happens. Both Grady and and the players acknowledge that. Grady and the players are friends. The inept and devious UM newspaper were looking for a story. Forget peoples reputations. This is a story that can attract readership. The shame belongs to the Kaimin, who I warned not to bring this to press. Guess what Kaimin, you look like ****. You are ****. Shame on you.

I didn't know Hauck was a member of this site!

Hey coach what's up? How's practice going this week?

elkmcc
September 18th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I didn't know Hauck was a member of this site!

Hey coach what's up? How's practice going this week?

Really? I didn't know anyone could be so frikking stupid.

aggiemba
September 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I guess some of my previous posts were a little over the top, but for the life of me I can't understand why Huack would be willing to go along with the cover up and why he was ok with Johnson flashing gang symbols during the game against the aggies.
xoopsx

elkmcc
September 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM
http://www.montanakaimin.com/index.php/news/news_article/allegations_against_griz_football_players_surface/

Was surprised to not see this here yet - figured it'd be best to at least get the conversation started by a Griz fan. How true this is, I don't know, but something smells rotten here. :(

The only thing rotten is your brain for thinking that this didn't surprise you. Shame on you for propagating this crap. You and the Kaimin should be ashamed of yourselves.

aggiemba
September 18th, 2009, 10:56 PM
The only thing rotten is your brain for thinking that this didn't surprise you. Shame on you for propagating this crap. You and the Kaimin should be ashamed of yourselves.

Do you also condone the cover up elkmcc?

Or are you Mrs. Huack?

elkmcc
September 18th, 2009, 10:59 PM

Or are you Mrs. Huack?

You too must obviously be that stupid.

ninjaGriz
September 18th, 2009, 11:11 PM
The cover up by whom?

The kid's father who said the punishment for the players is fair and adequate or the kid who said it was a bad situation for them all who ALSO apologized for HIS involvement that night?

or maybe Hauck who refused to speak (for the fourth time) on an old and internal disciplinary action?

Montanan
September 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x102/Montanan_1/eGriz/brain-fart-sl.gifWith all due respect to my many GRIZ friends, this is not acceptable. xnonox

Clean up your house before the NCAA and everybody else gets
involved! http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x102/Montanan_1/eGriz/brain-fart-sr.gif

my, my, just read this thread. what a bunch of inuendo loving , second hand rumor mongering, no life putzes! oops, did I jump to a conclusion? my bad.

putter
September 18th, 2009, 11:13 PM

Or are you Mrs. Huack?

yes, how many people were on Mt. Sentinel with the film??? Maybe they were hiding upstairs at the frathouse filming it all......cover-up -how stupid

EmeryZach
September 18th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Really? I didn't know anyone could be so frikking stupid.

What's your problem elky boy? Are you that angry about this that you can't even get a joke?

What makes you so special to this situation anyways? You say you have some close relation to it so I made a joke about you being Coach Hauck, what's the problem?

If you are that mad about it then why don't you just come out and say who you are and what your relationship is to the people in the case.

aggiemba
September 18th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I think that elkmcc must either be Johnson or Huack.

Native
September 18th, 2009, 11:36 PM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x102/Montanan_1/eGriz/brain-fart-sl.gifWith all due respect to my many GRIZ friends, this is not acceptable. xnonox

Clean up your house before the NCAA and everybody else gets
involved! http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x102/Montanan_1/eGriz/brain-fart-sr.gif

my, my, just read this thread. what a bunch of inuendo loving , second hand rumor mongering, no life putzes! oops, did I jump to a conclusion? my bad.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xbowx

elkmcc
September 18th, 2009, 11:45 PM

Thanks for confirming your stupidity. kmcc

BearIt
September 18th, 2009, 11:46 PM

You really think that or are you just sore about last Saturday and trying to find a way to make the hurt go away.

I doubt Johnson has been a member of AGS since 2005.

aggiemba
September 18th, 2009, 11:49 PM
You really think that or are you just sore about last Saturday and trying to find a way to make the hurt go away.

I doubt Johnson has been a member of AGS since 2005.

So then you agree with me that elkmcc must be Huack or Mrs. Huack.xeyebrowx

uofmman1122
September 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM
So then you agree with me that elkmcc must be Huack or Mrs. Huack.xeyebrowxI'd say it's more likely he's either a friend of one of the players or victims, or he's a Sigma Nu guy.

....In which case, I might know him....>__>

elkmcc
September 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM
What's your problem elky boy? Are you that angry about this that you can't even get a joke?

What makes you so special to this situation anyways? You say you have some close relation to it so I made a joke about you being Coach Hauck, what's the problem?

If you are that mad about it then why don't you just come out and say who you are and what your relationship is to the people in the case.

This might be a joke to you dip***** but it isn't to me, my family or BH or the program. The Kaimin is a rag that cares only to generate readership, at all others cost. If that isn't obvious to you, you are as stupid as the newspaper was for allowing the publishing of such rot.

BearIt
September 18th, 2009, 11:56 PM
So then you agree with me that elkmcc must be Huack or Mrs. Huack.xeyebrowx

I guess you're definately still feeling the pain. xwhistlexxlolx

aggiemba
September 19th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I guess you're definately still feeling the pain. xwhistlexxlolx

Hope you guys lose every game left. Couldn't happen to a nicer set of guys (just check out the Kaiman).

xazzx

elkmcc
September 19th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Hope you guys lose every game left. Couldn't happen to a nicer set of guys (just check out the Kaiman).

xazzx

Buddy you really are a guy without a clue. Get a life.

Has AGS ever seen such a sore loser?

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 12:09 AM
This might be a joke to you dip***** but it isn't to me, my family or BH or the program. The Kaimin is a rag that cares only to generate readership, at all others cost. If that isn't obvious to you, you are as stupid as the newspaper was for allowing the publishing of such rot.

I am just going to leave this one alone now because it seems to be a pretty sensitive issue and I can respect that.

Best of luck.

Grizo406
September 19th, 2009, 12:17 AM
It is clearly a reflection of the "tone at the top", appraently Huack is a thug also, or at least a closet gang supporter. He is willingy to sully the Montana reputation to cover-up an incident his player is involved with, while condoning the flashing of gang hand gestures by the same player.

Sounds like you know a lot about those that have coached the Griz!

FWIW, its Hauck, not Huack.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nshKiYPJCdM/RiVYIUv7GOI/AAAAAAAAABk/_Zrb5syEYbc/s320/Gang+Signs.jpg

aggiemba
September 19th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I am just going to leave this one alone now because it seems to be a pretty sensitive issue and I can respect that.

Best of luck.

EmeryZack, it is a sensitive subject because a massive cover - up perpetuated by Hauck just got uncovered. Hopefully the NCAA will launch an investigation.

putter
September 19th, 2009, 12:21 AM
EmeryZack, it is a sensitive subject because a massive cover - up perpetuated by Hauck just got uncovered. Hopefully the NCAA will launch an investigation.

Good one....xlolx

griz37
September 19th, 2009, 12:21 AM

What is being covered up? What kind of NCAA rules were broken? What is there to investigate? Has your POS stadium crew figured out how to work your lights yet?

aggiemba
September 19th, 2009, 12:26 AM
What is being covered up? What kind of NCAA rules were broken? What is there to investigate? Has your POS stadium crew figured out how to work your lights yet?

I agree that was really embarassing.....:o

aggiemba
September 19th, 2009, 12:29 AM
A little quote from a grizzly.....see I'm not off base here. xwhistlex

Wow, and here I was thinking the Griz were the real Champions. Little did I know they had turned into nothing more than Gangsters! Shall we call them the Montana Thugs or the Montana Gangsters since the names Crips & Bloods have already been taken. I’m really disappointed in Coach Bobby Hauck’s statement and lack of leadership - I had a lot of respect for the man but that left after reading these articles - I hope he’s not transforming into a thug himself. Or maybe his real colors are finally showing. I wonder if this will be his last year with the U of M. Quite possibly, this is why he refused to sign a multi-year contract. All I can say is that the good name of the Montana Grizzlies has been tarnished. And I can’t understand why Mr. McCarthy didn’t take a stand for his son but instead caved in to Coach Hauck’s sweet talk. Kudos to the Kaimin for standing up to the football bully.

Posted by {screen_name}Good Elk on 09/18/2009 at 10:16 am

putter
September 19th, 2009, 12:34 AM

Wow, and here I was thinking the Griz were the real Champions. Little did I know they had turned into nothing more than Gangsters! Shall we call them the Montana Thugs or the Montana Gangsters since the names Crips & Bloods have already been taken. I’m really disappointed in Coach Bobby Hauck’s statement and lack of leadership - I had a lot of respect for the man but that left after reading these articles - I hope he’s not transforming into a thug himself. Or maybe his real colors are finally showing. I wonder if this will be his last year with the U of M. Quite possibly, this is why he refused to sign a multi-year contract. All I can say is that the good name of the Montana Grizzlies has been tarnished. And I can’t understand why Mr. McCarthy didn’t take a stand for his son but instead caved in to Coach Hauck’s sweet talk. Kudos to the Kaimin for standing up to the football bully.

That has to be the dumbest statement I have read. No father is going to cave into a football coach at the expense of their child....no way, no how. Keep blowing this way out of proportion people. xsmhx

mlbowl
September 19th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Wow...Trumaine Johnson hit me in the face too...check my facebook page...it's FACTxrolleyesx...Really, peoplexrolleyesx

BearIt
September 19th, 2009, 02:57 AM
That has to be the dumbest statement I have read. No father is going to cave into a football coach at the expense of their child....no way, no how. Keep blowing this way out of proportion people. xsmhx

It's a cover-up.

You don't know what it's like when they pull up into your drive and the men in maroon get out of the car. You don't want to know what it's like... You would throw your child under the bus too if you knew.

I've probably said too much... I'm sure Hauck is sending them to silence me as well.

Grizo406
September 19th, 2009, 03:00 AM

17-10 hurts, don't it!??!xlolxxlolxxlolx