PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook Names New HC

Husky Alum
December 12th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Stony Brook hired Trinity (CT) head coach Chuck Priore as its new head coach. Priore played at Albany in the 1980s.

Here's the link...

http://goseawolves.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121005aaa.html

Personally I think it's a real good hire, and says something about SBU's commitment to football in the long-term.

The guy isn't going to leave Trinity (where he could be coach for life and get paid pretty well) where he can't compete for an NC to go to SBU (where he can't compete for an NC either) without some assurances that SBU's got bigger and better things planned.

89Hen
December 12th, 2005, 09:11 PM
God, I feel awful asking this question, but what happened to Stony's coach? They really seemed to be on the rise in MM I-AA.

colgate13
December 12th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Stony Brook hired Trinity (CT) head coach Chuck Priore as its new head coach. Priore played at Albany in the 1980s.

Here's the link...

http://goseawolves.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121005aaa.html

Personally I think it's a real good hire, and says something about SBU's commitment to football in the long-term.

The guy isn't going to leave Trinity (where he could be coach for life and get paid pretty well) where he can't compete for an NC to go to SBU (where he can't compete for an NC either) without some assurances that SBU's got bigger and better things planned.

Well, yes and no. SBU might have bigger plans, but so might Priore. SBU could be a stepping stone to a PL, which could be a stepping stone to a CAA team, which could be....

Maybe he sees the right mix of things to succeed at the level SBU is at (mid-major I-AA) in order to get a chance at another level?

Pard4Life
December 12th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Wasn't Priore a candidate for the Columbia job?

JoltinJoe
December 13th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Wasn't Priore a candidate for the Columbia job?

He was mentioned for both the Columbia and Fordham positions.

It's tough to pluck a Division III coach and place him in the HC position at a I-AA school. If the choice does not work out, you can expect an earful from alumni (never mind that Priore does have I-AA experience as an assistant).

In the end, I think he'll need to do some winning at Stony Brook before a major I-AA team takes note. However, perceptions aside, seems to me that this guy could definitely win for any team at the I-AA level.

Husky Alum
December 13th, 2005, 07:42 AM
God, I feel awful asking this question, but what happened to Stony's coach? They really seemed to be on the rise in MM I-AA.

He, um, retired, or resigned or something that didn't smell 100% kosher.

Let's just say that Fiore, SBU's new AD is cleaning house. The guy has an ego the size of Giants Stadium. He's got a vision and he's turned the athletic department on its ear and has made changes at all of the programs he perceived to be underperforming.

When he took the job at SBU, he said that he wanted the Seawolves to be the "Evil Empire" of the America East. So far all he's done is spend a TON of money on coaches salaries in an attempt to get better.

Fiore has his sights set on bigger and better things, as most AD's at the AE level do.

UAalum72
December 13th, 2005, 10:48 AM
I don't know why it's not kosher. Kornhauser is 56 or 57 years old, has been basically a .500 coach over 22 years at SBU. A lot of coaches with better resumes than that have been let go.