PDA

View Full Version : FCS in Future in New Orleans?

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Club football in New Orleans drew 3,800 fans last year and expectations are to average 5,000 this year. Several Div I transfers. Does this have a legitimate chance of going Pioneer, Southland or maybe even Sun Belt down the road...???

The club team raised more than $40,000 for its one home game last season, in which 3,800 fans attended, the highest attendance UNO had for any single home athletic event last year.

This year, the football program has sold about 1,000 season tickets, with the expectation of averaging roughly 5,000 fans per game. The team also will get a financial guarantee for its two games against the NAIA teams.

A few seasons of similar box-office numbers and constant improvement could get Bujol and other top UNO officials talking more seriously about bringing football under the NCAA and athletic department's umbrella.

http://www.nola.com/uno/index.ssf/2009/09/unos_club_football_program_gro.html

DG Cowboy
September 18th, 2009, 08:03 AM
UNO will not join the SLC. They will play SLC teams in many sports but their ambitions are for a more prestigious affiliation. Since they are in the Sun Belt now, I would think they would establish football in that conference.

Franks Tanks
September 18th, 2009, 08:06 AM
UNO will not join the SLC. They will play SLC teams in many sports but their ambitions are for a more prestigious affiliation. Since they are in the Sun Belt now, I would think they would establish football in that conference.

How can they afford it? Didnt this school seriously consider dropping their entire athletic program recently?

JSU02
September 18th, 2009, 08:18 AM
How can they afford it? Didnt this school seriously consider dropping their entire athletic program recently?

Yeah, but then THIS happened...
http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl062509tpuno.7dabeee.html#slcgm_comments_anchor

Franks Tanks
September 18th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Yeah, but then THIS happened...
http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl062509tpuno.7dabeee.html#slcgm_comments_anchor

Ahh-- that helps

danefan
September 18th, 2009, 08:43 AM
PFL.......

DFW HOYA
September 18th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Pioneer makes the best sense at this point. UNO doesn't have the base of support that would make a leap to the Belt practical at this point.

UNO, Xavier, Detroit...who knows what happens when the PFL becomes big enough for two non-scholarship leagues?

MplsBison
September 18th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Once Denver is gone the SB will have UALR and UNO as schools in the state's largest town where the college football landscape is dominated by a large, singular state flagship (UA and LSU) out of town.

Obviously UALR could start a team and play at memorial stadium as could UNO playing at the Superdome.

I doubt UA or LSU would ever allow such a thing to happen.

DG Cowboy
September 18th, 2009, 10:03 AM

The $50 mil gives them a lot of options, but remember that logic and reason are not necesarily required in New Orleans.;)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I think UNO would "go big or go home". Not only are they overshadowed by LSU and even Tulane, they're even overshadowed by Grambling and Southern as well at the FCS level. Hard to picture them making a go at the PFL - especially without a travel partner.

Also worth considering, would the SBC even consider them to play in the PFL? They've been d!cks to SBC teams playing in FBS, and did their level best to kill any EKU/WKU "rivalry". Hard to picture them giving UNO a free pass, especially considering they've been nothing but a headache to the league anyway.

DFW HOYA
September 18th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I think UNO would "go big or go home". Not only are they overshadowed by LSU and even Tulane, they're even overshadowed by Grambling and Southern as well at the FCS level. Hard to picture them making a go at the PFL - especially without a travel partner.

New Orleans can't support three I-A teams right now, with LSU as a de facto home team and a Tulane team that has never rebuilt its fan base.

No need to play at the Superdome, either--26,500 seat Tad Gormley Stadium is right there at City Park.

http://neworleanscitypark.com/images/TadStadium.jpg

MplsBison
September 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
It's hard for me to see the SB wanting to keep UNO, or even UALR, around if they won't play FBS football.

I think they'd rather pick up Texas State and UTSA.

813Jag
September 18th, 2009, 12:36 PM
New Orleans can't support three I-A teams right now, with LSU as a de facto home team and a Tulane team that has never rebuilt its fan base.

No need to play at the Superdome, either--26,500 seat Tad Gormley Stadium is right there at City Park.

http://neworleanscitypark.com/images/TadStadium.jpg
when was there ever one?

DFW HOYA
September 18th, 2009, 12:41 PM
when was there ever one?

Certainly when Tulane played in the SEC.

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM
It's hard for me to see the SB wanting to keep UNO, or even UALR, around if they won't play FBS football. I think they'd rather pick up Texas State and UTSA.

With 12 teams, you are in a position to host a conference title game. That just won't work for the SBC. They will be fine with a 10/12 format. Both UALR and UNO have some history in the league, are both in major cities (in fact New Orleans is where most teams in the league fly into/out of to get to ULM, ULL and USA!). League offices are there as well.

Exactly what I was going to say. The Tulane people will argue their biggest mistake was leaving the SEC!

The $50 mil gives them a lot of options, but remember that logic and reason are not necesarily required in New Orleans.;)

Not sure an amount has been set or formerly announced...has it?

DG Cowboy
September 18th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Not sure an amount has been set or formerly announced...has it?

I just used 1/3 of the estimated $150 mil from the news article.

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I just used 1/3 of the estimated $150 mil from the news article.

That's all speculation. Figure we won't know until we know, you know? xlolx

GeauxColonels
September 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Once Denver is gone the SB will have UALR and UNO as schools in the state's largest town where the college football landscape is dominated by a large, singular state flagship (UA and LSU) out of town.

Obviously UALR could start a team and play at memorial stadium as could UNO playing at the Superdome.

I doubt UA or LSU would ever allow such a thing to happen.
Why would LSU care where UNO tried to play it's home games. The university gets virtually ZERO local support at any of its athletic events. And Tulane plays in the dome...see where that's gotten them?!

If UNO were to field a varsity D-I team, it would most certainly have to begin at the FCS level with the Privateers playing at Tad Gormley Stadium (unless they somehow generated funds to build an on-campus facility).

GeauxColonels
September 18th, 2009, 03:45 PM
when was there ever one?
Um when thay had this monster on campus:
http://nutrias.org/~nopl/exhibits/ccmem/stadium.jpg
http://www.tigerrag.com/wp-content/uploads/tulane_stadium.jpg
http://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/past/tulane702.jpg

LIONFAN85
September 18th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I really don't think it could happen. Until it was saved UNO athletics was put up to a vote by the students. A friend of mine goes there and said 87% of the student body voted down to keep athletics. There was a small increase in tuition if it stayed and that might of had something to do with some of that percentage. But not much. Tulane even when they went undeafted in 98 and had Tommy Bowden and Rich Rod calling the show couldn't even get big crowds UNO couldn't keep football. Their baseball program is good and they need to focus on that.

xrotatehxxnodxxconfusedxxsmhxxcoolx

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I really don't think it could happen. Until it was saved UNO athletics was put up to a vote by the students. A friend of mine goes there and said 87% of the student body voted down to keep athletics. There was a small increase in tuition if it stayed and that might of had something to do with some of that percentage.

Please, if you are going to post incorrect information, at least try to get close to the number...

The turnout was about 20-25%, which was better than most people think. You never get voter turnout on anything at any school besides homecoming! And 87% of the student body did not vote it down. It was close to like 53-47.

RabidRabbit
September 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM
BTW. GREAT article in the Times-Picayune today on the club team. Heck, they're playing South Alabama, Edwards Water, and other common opponents of some of the "soft" FCS teams. And several of the games are IN New Orleans. So congrats to a GREAT club team, and I hope they find their way into playing football, even if it's non-schollie D-I. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2009, 05:58 PM
BTW. GREAT article in the Times-Picayune today on the club team. Heck, they're playing South Alabama, Edwards Water, and other common opponents of some of the "soft" FCS teams. And several of the games are IN New Orleans. So congrats to a GREAT club team, and I hope they find their way into playing football, even if it's non-schollie D-I. xthumbsupx

South Alabama is their club team, which I guess is going to stick around, even with the new FCS (to FBS) program in the works...

Edward Waters and Concordia-Selma are BOTH playing FCS programs. I wonder if we'll get a measuring stick that shows that the club team is comparable to those FCS programs. It sounds like they have a few FBS transfers and/or kids who were offered by some level of football.

The fact the D-Line averages 330 across is interesting...how are they getting kids of that nature?

I may have to attend, not so sure. The schedule is always very tricky to navigate around.

EmeryZach
September 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I think Vermont's club team has a better chance of moving up to the FCS than UNO's team.

I just don't see it working. What about DII or DIII? That would be a better fit. Then all you need for a stadium is a field and some metal bleachers. They could pull that off.

RabidRabbit
September 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I think Vermont's club team has a better chance of moving up to the FCS than UNO's team.

I just don't see it working. What about DII or DIII? That would be a better fit. Then all you need for a stadium is a field and some metal bleachers. They could pull that off.

If you're D-I for BB, you MUST play D-I football, if playing football. Hence the Marist, Campbell, Jacksonville, Dayton's of the FCS. They used to play D-III FB, and can't anymore.

EmeryZach
September 18th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Wow, forgot about that. Thanks.

Model Citizen
September 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM
UNO, Xavier, Detroit...who knows what happens when the PFL becomes big enough for two non-scholarship leagues?

Then you won't have the PFL to kick around anymore!

http://www.timswineblog.com/~ASSETS/IMG/upload/Nixon.jpg

You'll have the PFL and someone else to kick around.

BearsCountry
September 18th, 2009, 10:59 PM
You know a perfect switcheroo could happen New Orleans for Texas State........

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2009, 07:14 AM
You know a perfect switcheroo could happen New Orleans for Texas State........

What does the SBC benefit by having 12 football teams? They couldn't stage a successful league championship game, could they?

And San Marcos instead of New Orleans? Would that fracture their ties with the New Orleans Bowl? Force the league office to move? Hasn't the league stated that they do not want to kick out the Louisiana teams in wake of the storms and have actually helped them rebuild, particularly UNO?

813Jag
September 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM
you know how long ago that was?

813Jag
September 19th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Um when thay had this monster on campus:
http://nutrias.org/~nopl/exhibits/ccmem/stadium.jpg
http://www.tigerrag.com/wp-content/uploads/tulane_stadium.jpg
http://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/past/tulane702.jpg
I know about Tulane Stadium, the first Bayou Classic was played there. But their support is no where near that level, not even when they had that undefeated season in 98. Guess I should have used some smilies in my post, pure sarcasm.

DFW HOYA
September 19th, 2009, 09:02 AM
you know how long ago that was?

Mid-1960's?

Anyway, Tulane's attendance troubles really kicked in with the abandonment of Tulane Stadium and the struggles to create an identity as an independent (and later C-USA) in the shadows of LSU. No one needs to become a Tulane season ticket holder anymore because there are always open seats in the dome--this is a problem through the western half of C-USA .

Now that Tulane and LSU are ending the series (read=LSU is ending the series), it won't get any easier.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I just saw the club football game today on the NBC affiliate's 'game day' weather report. They included it with the big HS game of the day and the LSU-ULL contest in Baton Rouge.

Interested to see pictures and get a gauge of what the attendance is. Is this a novelty or is it something bigger that can sustain? They'll have to keep up the numbers if they want to show that football is viable.

Averaging 4,000+ would be telling, especially without the proper marketing, promotions and public relations that is expected of a program. Throw in the fact it's at an off-campus stadium, the opponents are not well known and 4000+ is very respectable.

813Jag
September 19th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Mid-1960's?

Anyway, Tulane's attendance troubles really kicked in with the abandonment of Tulane Stadium and the struggles to create an identity as an independent (and later C-USA) in the shadows of LSU. No one needs to become a Tulane season ticket holder anymore because there are always open seats in the dome--this is a problem through the western half of C-USA .

Now that Tulane and LSU are ending the series (read=LSU is ending the series), it won't get any easier.
I'm sorry but I really need to use smilies in my posts. xlolx I'm aware of when they played in the SEC. I grew up in Baton Rouge so I know how LSU looks at Tulane. I know of Tulane's attendance issues, my school (Southern) played them twice earlier this decade.

BearsCountry
September 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
What does the SBC benefit by having 12 football teams? They couldn't stage a successful league championship game, could they?

And San Marcos instead of New Orleans? Would that fracture their ties with the New Orleans Bowl? Force the league office to move? Hasn't the league stated that they do not want to kick out the Louisiana teams in wake of the storms and have actually helped them rebuild, particularly UNO?

I think with your hatred of Texas State and your job situation at UNO you dont see this as clearly as others.

BearsCountry
September 19th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Tulane needs an on-campus stadium in all reality. I also believe that most of Tulane alum's do not live in New Orleans, which hurts their attendance - I think alot buy season tickets though to make a donation to the school, but dont/cant show up to the games.