PDA

View Full Version : CSN Dowd's Den: Week Two - Top Ten Turmoil!

CSN-info
September 17th, 2009, 06:24 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/dowdsden.JPG

CSN Dowd's Den: Week Two – Top Ten Turmoil!
By Bruce Dowd, CSN Dowd’s Den Columnist

I thought it was difficult last week to pick the Top Ten in the country. After this second weekend of the season, the job just got far more complicated. So as we review last week and look forward to this week our theme here will be how difficult it is after just two weeks of the season to get a handle on which teams are really the best teams and how do you go about trying to evaluate them.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/09/17/csn-dowd-s-den-week-two-top-ten-turmoil?blog=5)

JmuSkinsfan
September 17th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Great article. He really liked JMU against Maryland too and made a great case for the JMU defense to be the best in the country. I don't disagree. The defense, particularly the line and the front 7-8 are absolute studs. and young.

mlbowl
September 17th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Nice article!

RabidRabbit
September 17th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Dowd's total miss of mentioning SDSU to be a factor in the MVFC is probably the major omission. The MVFC title will be decided in Brookings in '09.

PantherRob82
September 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Dowd's total miss of mentioning SDSU to be a factor in the MVFC is probably the major omission. The MVFC title will be decided in Brookings in '09.

aledgedly. While I tend to agree with you, one game is a lousy indicator.

StrikeJMU
September 17th, 2009, 08:24 PM
couldn't agree more about Mickey's conservative attitude at the end of JMU's first game. If you are going to be a risky coach Mr. Matthews, lets see it happen when we really need it.

BDKJMU
September 17th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Great article. He really liked JMU against Maryland too and made a great case for the JMU defense to be the best in the country. I don't disagree. The defense, particularly the line and the front 7-8 are absolute studs. and young.

Just makes you wonder even how much better the JMU de line would be if JD Skolnitksy
http://www.redskins.com/gen/players/J_D__Skolnitsky.jsp
hadn't been suspended for his senior season and now on the Redskins practice squad. JMU would probably have the best d line in the country. But will have to make due with the 3 studs of Sam Daniels and Arthur Moats and Ronnell Brown. MM last yr called JD JMU's best pro prospect over the more heralded Daniels and Moats. Now he is calling Brown the best pro prospect on the d-line.
Not a lot of depth right now though. I only noticed 3 de DTs and 3 De ends play against MD..

The LBs (2 starting positions) looked very good-
-Veney started all of last yr as a true freshman (after a yr at Fork Union Military), -Pat Williams was CAA defensive rookie of the year last yr at SS
-Chase Williams looks very good as a rFr
After that its a true freshman though...

Notice on Sat how the front 7, esp the LBs, didn't appear to miss any tackles. Reportedly tackling was heavily stressed in summer camp. Yancey missed a couple tackles from his FS position. After Lezotte and Haywood will be the 1st time in 6 years JMU won't have an AA as FS

Of 5 listed starters Saturday in secondary, 3 weren't even in the secondary last season, and 4 in the 2 deep. You've got Griff Yancey who was JMU's leading rusher in 07', Vidal Nelson who started the 2nd half of last season at LB, and Mike Allen who was moved over from receiver to corner. In the 2 deep only McGee and Jamaris Sanders have significant starting expereince from the last 2 seasons, and Taveion Cuffee is the only other one who played a lot last season (as another true freshman Fork Union recruit). You have the Rose brothers, Jon (moved over from tailback) and Pete (former VT signee) neither of whom are starting but are both super athletes. MM called it his most athletic and most inexperienced secondary ever.

This defense should get better as the season progresses IF JMU doesn't suffer a lot of injuries, esp in the front 7, where depth is lacking. Another thing, JMU had only 2 senior starters listed on defense against MD (although I think it was 3, as I think McGee started).

StrikeJMU
September 17th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Just makes you wonder even how much better the JMU de line would be if JD Skolnitksy
http://www.redskins.com/gen/players/J_D__Skolnitsky.jsp
hadn't been suspended for his senior season and now on the Redskins practice squad. JMU would probably have the best d line in the country. But will have to make due with the 3 studs of Sam Daniels and Arthur Moats and Ronnell Brown. MM last yr called JD JMU's best pro prospect over the more heralded Daniels and Moats. Now he is calling Brown the best pro prospect on the d-line.
Not a lot of depth right now though. I only noticed 3 de DTs and 3 De ends play against MD..

The LBs (2 starting positions) looked very good-
-Veney started all of last yr as a true freshman (after a yr at Fork Union Military), -Pat Williams was CAA defensive rookie of the year last yr at SS
-Chase Williams looks very good as a rFr
After that its a true freshman though...

Notice on Sat how the front 7, esp the LBs, didn't appear to miss any tackles. Reportedly tackling was heavily stressed in summer camp. Yancey missed a couple tackles from his FS position. After Lezotte and Haywood will be the 1st time in 6 years JMU won't have an AA as FS

Of 5 listed starters Saturday in secondary, 3 weren't even in the secondary last season, and 4 in the 2 deep. You've got Griff Yancey who was JMU's leading rusher in 07', Vidal Nelson who started the 2nd half of last season at LB, and Mike ALeen who was moved over from receiver to corner. In the 2 deep only McGee and Jamaris Sanders have significant starting expereince from the last 2 seasons, and Cuffee is the only other one who played a lot last season (as another true freshman Fork Union recruit). MM called it his most athletic and most inexperienced secondary ever.

Another thing, JMU had only 2 senior starters listed on defense against MD (although I think it was 3, as I think McGee started).

I'm still worried about our corners, MD seemed to have that WR screen whenever they wanted it.

BDKJMU
September 17th, 2009, 08:56 PM

I was thinking the same thing. If UNI drops a MVFC game, I would imagine @ SDSU would be more likely than home vs SIU.

JayJ79
September 17th, 2009, 09:30 PM

I was going to say something similar. As far as the Panthers' opponents: yes, SIU will be a tough game. But it is at home (for UNI). While they have to play in Brookings.

I do think that UNI has a decent chance of running the table. But it won't be easy, and the Salukis won't be the only challengers.

BDKJMU
September 18th, 2009, 03:46 AM
I'm still worried about our corners, MD seemed to have that WR screen whenever they wanted it.

1st half yes. 2nd half we snuffed a # of those out.

phillyAPP
September 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/dowdsden.JPG

CSN Dowd's Den: Week Two – Top Ten Turmoil!
By Bruce Dowd, CSN Dowd’s Den Columnist

I thought it was difficult last week to pick the Top Ten in the country. After this second weekend of the season, the job just got far more complicated. So as we review last week and look forward to this week our theme here will be how difficult it is after just two weeks of the season to get a handle on which teams are really the best teams and how do you go about trying to evaluate them.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/09/17/csn-dowd-s-den-week-two-top-ten-turmoil?blog=5)

Another job well done Bruce !!!

Have a great weekend.