PDA

View Full Version : Transition problems?

darell1976
September 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I have heard that UND's transition progress is going great, and that NDSU's was outstanding...is there any teams that have had bad luck with their transition process either going from D2 to D1 or from the FCS to the FBS...I can't imagine Idaho doing that great. Also has there been any teams that have went down from the FBS to the FCS???

WestCoastAggie
September 17th, 2009, 04:11 PM
You haven't heard about Winston-Salem State ending their D1 transition and heading back to D2 because of money?

GSUhooligan
September 17th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I have heard that UND's transition progress is going great, and that NDSU's was outstanding...is there any teams that have had bad luck with their transition process either going from D2 to D1 or from the FCS to the FBS...I can't imagine Idaho doing that great. Also has there been any teams that have went down from the FBS to the FCS???

Northern Colorado has been mediocre to bad since their "move up". Presbyterian has struggled. Western Kentucky hasn't done very well in their two years moving up.

TwinTownBisonFan
September 17th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Savannah State...

in 06 when i was in philly there was talk about the struggles of NJIT - but i dont know if that continues...

but WSSU is the most glaring - moving back to d-ii that's gotta be tough to hear if you are an alum...

UNCBears2010
September 17th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Northern Colorado has been mediocre to bad since their "move up". Presbyterian has struggled. Western Kentucky hasn't done very well in their two years moving up.

We've struggled so far, but we're getting there. Our volleyball team is one of the best in the Big Sky this year, men's and women's basketball should be solid and we're even seeing signs of life from the football team.xthumbsupx

JDC325
September 17th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Maybe on the field but they completed a decent size stadium expansion and other facility enhancements. They also significantly increased the booster membership.

g-webb1994
September 17th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Where schools get nailed during transition is thinking that the staff they have in place can handle all of the extra work, which is not the case. Such was the case at G-W when we moved up, add that to the whole Carlos Webb affair and it was a complete mess for awhile.

Bottom line....put the infrastructure in place before you even think about facility improvements, extra schollies, etc. when you make the jump.

gophoenix
September 18th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Birmingham Southern moved up from NAIA and within a few years dropped down to D-III

Native
September 18th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Where schools get nailed during transition is thinking that the staff they have in place can handle all of the extra work, which is not the case. Such was the case at G-W when we moved up, add that to the whole Carlos Webb affair and it was a complete mess for awhile.

Bottom line....put the infrastructure in place before you even think about facility improvements, extra schollies, etc. when you make the jump.

So true about many types of transition projects!

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Florida A&M attempted a move to FBS a few years ago...failed.

Then-Southwest Texas State attempted a move in 2000, 2001 - never came to fruition and now they are giving it a go again as Texas State University - San Marcos...

GoAgs72
September 22nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
There is a story about Winston-Salem State dropping their transition to FCS on the D2football.com web site in the national column.

CDT_Wilson
September 23rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Marshall comes to mind. I-AA powerhouse better then average I-A.

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Marshall comes to mind. I-AA powerhouse better then average I-A.

I'd say "better than average" a few years ago. Not now.

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2009, 06:54 PM
Also has there been any teams that have went down from the FBS to the FCS???

McNeese State went from I-A to I-AA. In the early 80s they changed the rules for being I-A. The Southland Conference had been a I-A league, but only two schools in the league, McNeese State and the University of Southwestern Louisiana, met the criteria for staying I-A. McNeese State opted to go to I-AA in order to stay with the rest of the conference while Southwestern Louisiana opted to stay I-A as an Independent.

Southwestern Louisiana is the school we now know as Louisiana Lafayette.

darell1976
September 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
McNeese State went from I-A to I-AA. In the early 80s they changed the rules for being I-A. The Southland Conference had been a I-A league, but only two schools in the league, McNeese State and the University of Southwestern Louisiana, met the criteria for staying I-A. McNeese State opted to go to I-AA in order to stay with the rest of the conference while Southwestern Louisiana opted to stay I-A as an Independent.

Southwestern Louisiana is the school we now know as Louisiana Lafayette.

Pretty soon some MAC teams will not meet the criteria, like attendance.

MSUBear42
September 30th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Florida A&M attempted a move to FBS a few years ago...failed.

Then-Southwest Texas State attempted a move in 2000, 2001 - never came to fruition and now they are giving it a go again as Texas State University - San Marcos...

And, hopefully, MO State will followxwhistlex

Big Al
September 30th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Attendance is no longer a criteria.

Pretty soon some MAC teams will not meet the criteria, like attendance.

Big Al
September 30th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I'll grant you this: As bad as the Bears are, they'd dominate the Sun Belt.

And, hopefully, MO State will followxwhistlex