PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 9-19

JALMOND
September 17th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Week number three, yet I am still a perfect 17-0 for the season so far. I was hoping for a good start, but even I did not think I'd still be perfect at this point. We'll see where I am after this week as we start to get into some conference matchups. This week Montana State and Sacramento State take the week off, but everyone else plays. Here are the predictions. Have at them.

ISU @ WSU---Maybe the easiest one in the bunch. The Wildcats have looked very impressive over two Mountain West teams, yet no wins. The Bengals have looked very ordinary against two pretty good FBS teams, and as expected, no wins. The Wildcats seem to have hope for a great year, while the Bengals have hope the year is over soon (or they find an offense)...WSU 51, ISU 10.

Southern Utah @ NAU---The Jacks had a good opener as they stayed with Pac-10 Arizona most of the game. Now they face Southern Utah in a return matchup from last year. Southern Utah gave the Jacks fits in Cedar City and now hope for a better showing and a possible win. The Jacks are just trying to get off to a good start for the year...NAU 28, Southern Utah 17.

UNC @ EWU---Hard to say where the Eagles are at this point, having disposed of the DII competition, and then took the money and left shortly after the first quarter at Cal. The Bears are showing that this is not the old Bears, having already got their first win of the year last week against San Diego. To start conference play with a win on the road would be huge for the Bears. Maybe too huge...EWU 24, UNC 17.

PSU @ UM---The Griz were hoping for a stellar performance at UC-Davis last week, yet had to settle for a tough win. The Vikings were hoping to build on their game from the week before in last week's tussle with NAIA Southern Oregon, yet took a step back. Both defenses have had great moments, both offenses have looked a little sluggish. Maybe it is just early season jitters. Both offenses need a good breakout game...UM 38, PSU 34.

I Bleed Purple
September 17th, 2009, 01:34 AM
They'll get another pissed off team next week in Weber. Your prediction should be no closer than 45-7, Jalmond. xnodx

I'm glad you agree with me, Jalmond.

CopperCat
September 17th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Looks like some nailbiters in there. Should be interesting to see if that really happens. Gut check week for sure!

SactoHornetFan
September 17th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I like our chances vs. bye....xlolx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I always look forward to you Picks Jalmond. I don't think PSU or UM are going to score that many poiints, I look for it to be a lot lower scoring than that.

I Bleed Purple
September 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I imagine a fairly standard win for UM. Maybe it'll look closer because of a late score. 27-18 maybe?

The UNC-EWU game looks interesting. If it's a day game and on BigSkyTV I may watch it.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 17th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Currently I'm 16-1. A lot tougher games to call this week as conference play begins and we see where teams are really at. I think PSU has the upset potential and I'm tempted to pick them but Montana's at home. Home teams hold serve.

ISU 17 @ WSU 42

SUU 28 @ NAU 34

UNC 28 @ EWU 35

PSU 17 @ UM 24

ncbears
September 17th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I'll say EW will beat UNC by a slim margin. Maybe 21-17?

Screamin_Eagle174
September 17th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I'll say EW will beat UNC by a slim margin. Maybe 21-17?

Possible, but I'd expect the score to be higher.

UNCBears2010
September 17th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Possible, but I'd expect the score to be higher.

You haven't seen our defense. I like EWU 24-20, but think UNC could pull the upset.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 17th, 2009, 04:41 PM
You haven't seen our defense. I like EWU 24-20, but think UNC could pull the upset.

You haven't seen our offense. xsmiley_wix

grizzpaw
September 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
only if it is as good as two years ago!

laxVik
September 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM
You haven't seen our offense. xsmiley_wixCal didn't either. xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 17th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Cal didn't either. xthumbsupx

Actually, they did and got nervous, causing Cal to change their defensive scheme. xthumbsupx

The Eagles hung around for most of the first half, putting together sustained drives with a short passing game that gave the Old Blues in attendance some nervous moments.

But the Bears tinkered with their defensive scheme, dropping more players into coverage and silencing the Eagles the rest of the way.

"I feel like we learned a lot," said Cal linebacker Mychal Kendricks, who led the Bears in tackles for the second straight game to open the season with 14. "Eastern Washington is not a team to be taken lightly. We might have come out a little slow in the first quarter. We had to make those adjustments."

Eastern Washington (1-1) forged an 11-play, 83-yard drive midway through the first quarter that culminated in a 4-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Matt Nichols to fullback Grant Williams, tying the game at 7-7.

UNCBears2010
September 17th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Actually, they did and got nervous, causing Cal to change their defensive scheme. xthumbsupx

Ok. don't blitz Eastern Washington, thanks for the scouting report. Now, let me give coach Downing a call...xlolxxpeacex

kalm
September 17th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I'm not too worried about our offense base on the performance at Cal. In the first half we beat Cal in total yardage and time of possession, and had the same amount of first downs. We went for it twice in our own territory (which you have to do to win those games) and they capitalized both times. After they scored to open the 2nd half and made it 31-7 we played Nichols and the starters one more series and pulled most of them. Meanwhile their 1's stayed in and beat up on our 2's and 3's.

We just moved starting reciever Brynson Brown to cornerback showing our depth at wide receiver and with NFL prospect Nate Overbay (TE) getting more passes and break away speed in Taiwan Jones at running back I wouldn't be surprised to see our offense significantly improved from last year.

eagle1
September 17th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Brynsen Brown was indeed moved to defense but not at cornerback but to defensive end. He is weighing about 230 and has always been a very physical player on offensive. I am not sure about this move but I'll wait to see how it plays out. EWU's offense is drastically improved from last season and is playing more and more like the 07 version. The defense which is young is improving and is getting better each Saturday. This team has the potential to me really good but special teams must improve in the next couple of weeks for this to happen. Anyways, the Eags should pull away from UNC in the 4th quarter. Go Eagles!!!

kalm
September 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Brynsen Brown was indeed moved to defense but not at cornerback but to defensive end. He is weighing about 230 and has always been a very physical player on offensive. I am not sure about this move but I'll wait to see how it plays out. EWU's offense is drastically improved from last season and is playing more and more like the 07 version. The defense which is young is improving and is getting better each Saturday. This team has the potential to me really good but special teams must improve in the next couple of weeks for this to happen. Anyways, the Eags should pull away from UNC in the 4th quarter. Go Eagles!!!

You're right - my bad. It will be interesting to see how he does at end. That's where we need the most help.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM
You're right - my bad. It will be interesting to see how he does at end. That's where we need the most help.

Indeed. Do either of you have any knowledge of Brown's exp. playing DE? We might be lacking at the position, but it seems more harmful than helpful in switching a talented WR to a position he has little if any experience at. xconfusedx

EWashEagle
September 17th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Well the score at Cal was a blowout, but watching it in person was a different story. There were two horrible "home cooking" game changing calls for big plays. The worst was a forward pass that hopped to Cal running back J. Best. Espn verified it was a forward pass in the game recap, but the officials let it go and it led to a score. EWU was driving when Nichols also threw a incomplete pass but it was ruled a fumble which led to a score. Cal first string did go against our backups, and scored three times in the forth quarter. They even hurried to score the last touchdown in the final 20 seconds, even though the score was 52-7.

Cal is a very good team, and the players were good sports, to bad the staff decided to run the score for BCS measures. They better watch out, karma is a bitch sometimes!

JALMOND
September 17th, 2009, 11:19 PM

UNC could win...but they won't
Southern Utah could win...but they won't
PSU could win...but they won'txsmhxxbawlingx
ISU, nah skip that. They can'txthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Currently I'm 16-1. A lot tougher games to call this week as conference play begins and we see where teams are really at. I think PSU has the upset potential and I'm tempted to pick them but Montana's at home. Home teams hold serve.

ISU 17 @ WSU 42

SUU 28 @ NAU 34

UNC 28 @ EWU 35

PSU 17 @ UM 24

Correct Pick
Incorrect Pick
Actual Score
(-123) = Difference between predicted and actual point spread
APSE = Average Point Spread Error

ISU 17 @ WSU 42
ISU 17 @ WSU 44 (-2) xthumbsupx

SUU 28 @ NAU 34
SUU 39 @ NAU 42 (-3) xpopcornx

UNC 28 @ EWU 35
UNC 0 @ EWU 16 (-9) xcoachx

PSU 17 @ UM 24
PSU 17 @ UM 49 (-25) xeekx

This week: 4-0
Last week: 8-1
Overall: 20-1
APSE this week: 9.8 pts
APSE last week: 13.3 pts
APSE overall: 11.7 pts

JALMOND
September 19th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Week number three, yet I am still a perfect 17-0 for the season so far. I was hoping for a good start, but even I did not think I'd still be perfect at this point. We'll see where I am after this week as we start to get into some conference matchups. This week Montana State and Sacramento State take the week off, but everyone else plays. Here are the predictions. Have at them.

ISU @ WSU---Maybe the easiest one in the bunch. The Wildcats have looked very impressive over two Mountain West teams, yet no wins. The Bengals have looked very ordinary against two pretty good FBS teams, and as expected, no wins. The Wildcats seem to have hope for a great year, while the Bengals have hope the year is over soon (or they find an offense)...WSU 51, ISU 10.

Southern Utah @ NAU---The Jacks had a good opener as they stayed with Pac-10 Arizona most of the game. Now they face Southern Utah in a return matchup from last year. Southern Utah gave the Jacks fits in Cedar City and now hope for a better showing and a possible win. The Jacks are just trying to get off to a good start for the year...NAU 28, Southern Utah 17.

UNC @ EWU---Hard to say where the Eagles are at this point, having disposed of the DII competition, and then took the money and left shortly after the first quarter at Cal. The Bears are showing that this is not the old Bears, having already got their first win of the year last week against San Diego. To start conference play with a win on the road would be huge for the Bears. Maybe too huge...EWU 24, UNC 17.

PSU @ UM---The Griz were hoping for a stellar performance at UC-Davis last week, yet had to settle for a tough win. The Vikings were hoping to build on their game from the week before in last week's tussle with NAIA Southern Oregon, yet took a step back. Both defenses have had great moments, both offenses have looked a little sluggish. Maybe it is just early season jitters. Both offenses need a good breakout game...UM 38, PSU 34.

Scream may have the points, but I am still perfect (21-0). Just remember I was the one who kept the luv in the conference by taking UNC over San Diego last week.xthumbsupx

I Bleed Purple
September 19th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Might want to check your math there Screamin'.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 20th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Might want to check your math there Screamin'.

My bad... Point spread difference for SUU/NAU game was -3 instead of -4. Better?