PDA

View Full Version : Princeton-Citadel part 2

Franks Tanks
September 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Citadel should beat the Tigers, but the real action if off the field.

Will the big tough cadets try to beat up a bunch of bank geeks again for getting their feelings hurt?

elon77
September 16th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Citdog, where are you?

Woof
September 16th, 2009, 08:58 AM
After last year's ugliness, I've heard the brass at El Cid is "not encouraging the corps to attend."

I'm betting everyone (except the idiots in that skat band) will be on better behavior so as not further embarass their respective schools.

Go...gate
September 16th, 2009, 01:47 PM
The perspective from up here is one of regret over what the PU band did, but also that The Citadel has a very capable club, one which Princeton would love to upset to start its season.

HoyaMetanoia
September 16th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Can someone remind me what happened here?

Franks Tanks
September 16th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Can someone remind me what happened here?

Princeton's band made fun of the Citadel ( as they do with every school Princeton plays) and the cadets went bananna's and tried to beat up a bunch of geeks that make up the Princeton Band.

http://blogs.princeton.edu/aspire/bandjrp0770_0109.jpg

I heard they really kicked the guy ass with the coke bottle glasses--way to go cadets!

Go...gate
September 16th, 2009, 02:27 PM
From what I understand (I have a couple friends in the Princeton athletic department) the cadets also got a little rough with some Princeton fans who were visiting for the game. Frankly, I found this hard to believe, because the cadets are admonished to be polite to visitors on their campus, including in The Citadel's stadia, gymnasiums, etc. In retrospect, it may have been blown out of proportion. Certainly, Princeton's band gets on the nerves, that is for sure.

Franks Tanks
September 16th, 2009, 02:31 PM
From what I understand (I have a couple friends in the Princeton athletic department) the cadets also got a little rough with some Princeton fans who were visiting for the game. Frankly, I found this hard to believe, because the cadets are admonished to be polite to visitors on their campus, including in The Citadel's stadia, gymnasiums, etc. In retrospect, it may have been blown out of proportion. Certainly, Princeton's band gets on the nerves, that is for sure.

On the Ivy board a gentleman identifying himself as a former Princeton player who was on the team last year stated that a Princeton player was hit in the helmet by a rock thrown by a cadet xnonox

Is that true? Who knows but if I were making up stories I would choose a better one.

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM

Because it sucks!!:D:p

Seriously, The Citadel lads might learn how to lift their teacups correctly.xpeacex

T-Dog
September 16th, 2009, 03:08 PM
From what I remember, the Princeton band made fun of The Citadel, saying they were going to Iraq to die and various stuff like that. There was also an issue where the band sent a text of their set to The Citadel (which was approved) but what happened on the field wasn't what was approved. Very tasteless but the cadets should have acted better.

danefan
September 16th, 2009, 03:10 PM
From what I remember, the Princeton band made fun of The Citadel, saying they were going to Iraq to die and various stuff like that. There was also an issue where the band sent a text of their set to The Citadel (which was approved) but what happened on the field wasn't what was approved. Very tasteless but the cadets should have acted better.

Woah! I don't think that was a point of humor by the Princeton band. xeyebrowx

brownbear
September 16th, 2009, 07:24 PM
The script from the Princeton band website:

http://www.princeton.edu/~puband/media/2008.html

I don't see anything about dying in Iraq or anywhere else.

kdinva
September 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
From what I remember, the Princeton band made fun of The Citadel, saying they were going to Iraq to die and various stuff like that......
Typical left-wing, anti-military, anti-Pentagon Ivy school crap.

sceagle
September 16th, 2009, 09:00 PM
If I remember correctly they marched around the campus and were attacked by cadets. It was pre-approved by the Citadel admin. but probably shouldn't have been. Cadets have it drilled into their heads about how great the school is and how important the sacred parts of campus are, and here come these nerds mocking everything they hold dear. The Citadel admin. underestimated how the cadets would react and should not have allowed the band to march through campus. Also, the cadets booed and heckled throughout the halftime show and if you watch the videos on youtube you can barly hear the band over the cadets. Princeton did not understand how seriously the Citadel takes itself, and the Citadel underestimated the edginess of the band's humor. It was the perfect storm of contrasting ideologies.

South Carolina Duke
September 16th, 2009, 09:10 PM
The halftime show was the icing on the cake. It was the bands inappropriate behavior on the grounds of the Citadel and disrespect towards the cadets, the institution and it's monuments for their fallen alum.

I mean really! The band carries around in additon to musical instruments, many only have plungers and toilet seat covers. They got what they deserved. Shame on "the Band".

Go...gate
September 16th, 2009, 10:30 PM

Guess I'm too old school, but when you are a guest in somebody else's house, it always helps to refrain from overt action which is likely to displaease. The PU Band dropped the ball.

Go...gate
September 16th, 2009, 10:31 PM
The halftime show was the icing on the cake. It was the bands inappropriate behavior on the grounds of the Citadel and disrespect towards the cadets, the institution and it's monuments for their fallen alum.

I mean really! The band carries around in additon to musical instruments, many only have plungers and toilet seat covers. They got what they deserved. Shame on "the Band".

That plunger/toilet seat combination produces a great tone when combined with the pink flamingoes and the stop sign. :D

Go...gate
September 16th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Typical left-wing, anti-military, anti-Pentagon Ivy school crap.

Yep. What makes America great!!! ;):D

ngineer
September 16th, 2009, 10:39 PM
May be worth the price of admission just to go watch the halftime show. This was really a clash of two cultures and the administration of both schools underestimated the impact..The Seven P's of Life: Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance...;)

BULLDOG8180
September 17th, 2009, 11:08 PM
After last year's ugliness, I've heard the brass at El Cid is "not encouraging the corps to attend."

I'm betting everyone (except the idiots in that skat band) will be on better behavior so as not further embarass their respective schools.

Don't worry, it the corps doesn't attend, there will be enough 70 year-old Citadel alumni in attendance to whip the pansy band when they get out of order!xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

T-Dog
September 18th, 2009, 04:54 AM
The script from the Princeton band website:

http://www.princeton.edu/~puband/media/2008.html

I don't see anything about dying in Iraq or anywhere else.

Eyewitness accounts say the Princeton band didn't exactly follow the script. I vividly remember hearing one of the Princeton band quotes being about the cadets going to Iraq to die.

Guess I'm too old school, but when you are a guest in somebody else's house, it always helps to refrain from overt action which is likely to displaease. The PU Band dropped the ball.

True, but while they have every right to be upset and angry at the PU band, the cadets shouldn't have resorted to throwing objects and threatening physical violence.

I remember a lot of the Princeton-area media jumped on the cadets big time and treated the band like naive children around the big bad bullies of El Citadel Glad that people have realized the band were as idiotic as they were ignorant, but the cadets shouldn't stoop down to their level.

Don't worry, it the corps doesn't attend, there will be enough 70 year-old Citadel alumni in attendance to whip the pansy band when they get out of order!xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

And then they'll burn Princeton to the ground and blame it on Sherman. xlolx

El_Cid_99
September 18th, 2009, 06:51 AM
As far as the on-campus situation goes, the band marched (or lollygagged) down the Avenue of Remembrance, which is the one street on campus in which freshman must walk in the gutter, and not on the sidewalk. This is the road that passes in front of our chapel. A past president of the school is buried next to the chapel, and there is a columbarium inside the bell tower in which lies the ashes of other alumni. From an outsider's perspective, try to imagine a visiting band heading directly towards an important/historic spot on your campus and acting like jackasses. You can understand how it would ruffle some feathers. Whether they got permission or not to walk around the campus, it was not communicated with the Corps of Cadets very well, and so the first thing some cadets see is some plaid-jacketed bozos tooting their horns down the most sacred street on campus. Intentional or not, that was a big F*@$ You in the eyes of the cadets.

They did indeed variate from the approved script during the halftime show, and what brought the most ire was probably the thrusting motion by the band members on our field (you know, the 'humping' move you probably did in 7th grade with your buddies). That upset the cadets and alums alike, and appropriately brought with it a rain of boos from the crowd. This is the same field that has entertained generals, war heroes, and other esteemed members of the military and civilian sectors, and I can guarantee you that none of them has ever engaged in any 'air humping'.

All that said, I hope we can all focus on the game this week and put this petty crap behind us. This is like a second chance at a season opener for us as two of our running backs return from injury. Andre Roberts will get his touches, but I am most interested in watching our experienced O-line open up some holes all day long for our running backs. Look for over 200 yards rushing from the Dogs as the time of possession and every significant recordable stat will be in our favor at the end of the day. Go Dogs!

Franks Tanks
September 18th, 2009, 07:42 AM
As far as the on-campus situation goes, the band marched (or lollygagged) down the Avenue of Remembrance, which is the one street on campus in which freshman must walk in the gutter, and not on the sidewalk. This is the road that passes in front of our chapel. A past president of the school is buried next to the chapel, and there is a columbarium inside the bell tower in which lies the ashes of other alumni. From an outsider's perspective, try to imagine a visiting band heading directly towards an important/historic spot on your campus and acting like jackasses. You can understand how it would ruffle some feathers. Whether they got permission or not to walk around the campus, it was not communicated with the Corps of Cadets very well, and so the first thing some cadets see is some plaid-jacketed bozos tooting their horns down the most sacred street on campus. Intentional or not, that was a big F*@$ You in the eyes of the cadets.

They did indeed variate from the approved script during the halftime show, and what brought the most ire was probably the thrusting motion by the band members on our field (you know, the 'humping' move you probably did in 7th grade with your buddies). That upset the cadets and alums alike, and appropriately brought with it a rain of boos from the crowd. This is the same field that has entertained generals, war heroes, and other esteemed members of the military and civilian sectors, and I can guarantee you that none of them has ever engaged in any 'air humping'.

All that said, I hope we can all focus on the game this week and put this petty crap behind us. This is like a second chance at a season opener for us as two of our running backs return from injury. Andre Roberts will get his touches, but I am most interested in watching our experienced O-line open up some holes all day long for our running backs. Look for over 200 yards rushing from the Dogs as the time of possession and every significant recordable stat will be in our favor at the end of the day. Go Dogs!

Remembering war veterans in very serious and monument to fallen soldiers are sacred. Outside of that you take yourselves way too seriously.

phillyAPP
September 18th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Remembering war veterans in very serious and monument to fallen soldiers are sacred. Outside of that you take yourselves way too seriously.

Maybe you need some of their seriousness?

They are focused/serious BECAUSE someone's LIFE may depend on it.

We live our LIVES because THEY risk THEIR LIVES !!

I thank GOD they are serious and VERY Honorable group of people.

You should visit THE CITADEL and speak to a few of the graduates and you might understand the committment for LIFE they make, and live everyday.

EVERY Citadel grad I have ever met is pleasant, polite, respectful, and proud.

This world needs more of the Citadel behavior, instead of the behavior the spoiled intellects from Princeton's Band displayed. ( notice I did not imply ALL Princeton current or past students)

kdinva
September 18th, 2009, 09:48 AM

You should visit THE CITADEL and speak to a few of the graduates and you might understand the committment for LIFE they make, and live everyday.

This world needs more of the Citadel behavior, instead of the behavior the spoiled intellects from Princeton's Band displayed. ( notice I did not imply ALL Princeton current or past students)
Well put!!xbowx

....and on your way back North, stop by Lexington and visit the VMI post as well.

kdinva
September 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
.......All that said, I hope we can all focus on the game this week and put this petty crap behind us. This is like a second chance at a season opener for us as two of our running backs return from injury. Andre Roberts will get his touches, but I am most interested in watching our experienced O-line open up some holes all day long for our running backs. Look for over 200 yards rushing from the Dogs as the time of possession and every significant recordable stat will be in our favor at the end of the day. Go Dogs!

Good luck to the 'Dawgs up there..........The Citadel 30; princeton 20.

Franks Tanks
September 18th, 2009, 10:05 AM

You dont know anything about me, so dont comment on such things.

Your feeble mind xlolx also missed the point. Yes, soldiers and the military is serious business and they deserve repsect and reverance.

However, only about 40% of Citadel grads go to serve in the Armed Forces, and a grad has no commitment to the military. So saying they all make a commitment to a life in the service is overstating things a bit.

Men from the Citadel who servce this country have my respect. Men from the Citadel who are upstanding civilian members of society have my respect. Men from the Citadel who throw rocks at players and intimidate a bunch of geeks for walking on the grass are seriously immature and suffor from a lack of perspective. Real men exibit rational thinking and judgement, and can control their emotions to make educated decisions. I hope some of these young cadets can learn from Citadel grads and display this behavior a bit better.

You inferred a whole bunch from my post that simply didnt exist.

phillyAPP
September 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
You dont know anything about me, so dont comment on such things.

Your feeble mind xlolx also missed the point. Yes, soldiers and the military is serious business and they deserve repsect and reverance.

However, only about 40% of Citadel grads go to serve in the Armed Forces, and a grad has no commitment to the military. So saying they all make a commitment to a life in the service is overstating things a bit.

Men from the Citadel who servce this country have my respect. Men from the Citadel who are upstanding civilian members of society have my respect. Men from the Citadel who throw rocks at players and intimidate a bunch of geeks for walking on the grass are seriously immature and suffor from a lack of perspective. Real men exibit rational thinking and judgement, and can control their emotions to make educated decisions. I hope some of these young cadets can learn from Citadel grads and display this behavior a bit better.

You inferred a whole bunch from my post that simply didnt exist.

With the above being said, I think we agree.

Princeton Band making fun of "serious grass"= Idiots
Cadets throwing rocks = Idiots

I like the "lack of perspective" phrase and would hope the Princeton Band might have learned something from this incident.

And I also hope The Citadel Cadets did also.

Have a great wekend. I think we agree on the whole issue "idiots" need education and perspective. I try .xlolx

Go...gate
September 18th, 2009, 05:43 PM
The Princeton Band did not get a lot of sympathy when it returned up here, so I don't believe there will be any problem. The PU administration, whatever it said publicly, was horrified, no less then they were when the Band was banned from West Point in 1981 (and continues to be so banned).

ngineer
September 18th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I hope our ol' ball coach, Kevin Higgins gets his corps to soften up the Tiger for us.xnodx El Cid--32 PU--17

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 18th, 2009, 08:31 PM
from the Newark Star-Ledger ....

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/09/princeton_university_the_citad.html

Princeton is holding "Military Appreciation Day" this weekend.

Hoyadestroya85
September 18th, 2009, 09:30 PM
The Cadets should have been more disciplined.. There's no excuse for spitting on women. But after all, this is a school that used to initiate women by means of sexual assault.

BULLDOG8180
September 18th, 2009, 11:40 PM
The Cadets should have been more disciplined.. There's no excuse for spitting on women. But after all, this is a school that used to initiate women by means of sexual assault.

See above post regarding idiot, your name should be added to it.xnonono2x

Phoenixalltheway
September 19th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Two things. One, as an Elon student, I have to say, Citadel, YOU SUCK! You got demolished by an ACC team and we're going to beat an ACC team tomorrow night. Secondly, I'm confused as to what made Princeton's band bad? Because they played a halftime show there? And they walked across campus? What is wrong with walking across campus and playing instruments at halftime? I think the Cadets want to boo them because they are the enemy, and you folks will certainly be booed up here this year, but to throw rocks at them, and to boo THE BAND, is ridiculous. The band was simply playing their instruments and WALKING across campus.

Somebody tell me what is significant I am missing, because this can't be all there is to it.

ElSissy
September 19th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I'd say you've missed just about everything there is to miss.

Phoenixalltheway
September 19th, 2009, 09:04 AM
such as?

CamelCityAppFan
September 19th, 2009, 02:48 PM
From what I remember from the reporting of the incident last year is that the Princeton band's behavior went beyond the expected jackassery and was well into the territory of disrespect. I also remember that there were some of the cadets who did not appreciate the level of disrespect being shown by their guests.

I've been to many App-Citadel games in Charleston, and have found the Cadets to be disciplined, respectful, polite, and even downright friendly. When I heard about the incident last year, I was inclined to give the Cadets the benefit of the doubt (based on my own experiences with them). I am still inclined to do so.

ElSissy
September 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM
such as?

Such as several members of the Princeton Band attempting to enter the barracks while shouting insults about the military and The Citadel. This occurred a couple of hours before the confrontation that made the news. Such as the Princeton Band marching through an area of campus where they did not have permission to be while again taunting cadets with insults about the military and The Citadel. Such as the halftime show including actions not submitted in the approved script. These actions included the band forming an ejaculating penis and simulated sexual acts on a day where there was a promotion to get more children into the stadium. Does that cover it for you, Sparky?

kdinva
September 19th, 2009, 06:27 PM

SCOREBOARD........SCOREBOARD!!!! The good guys roll, 38-7. Congrats to The Citadel.

furman94
September 19th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Such as several members of the Princeton Band attempting to enter the barracks while shouting insults about the military and The Citadel. This occurred a couple of hours before the confrontation that made the news. Such as the Princeton Band marching through an area of campus where they did not have permission to be while again taunting cadets with insults about the military and The Citadel. Such as the halftime show including actions not submitted in the approved script. These actions included the band forming an ejaculating penis and simulated sexual acts on a day where there was a promotion to get more children into the stadium. Does that cover it for you, Sparky?

What?! Are you serious?

CID1990
September 19th, 2009, 07:24 PM

phillyAPP, thanks for the props. Just consider the source.... Franks Tanks is a West Point drop-out. His hostility is evidenced by his obsession with a game between two schools that have nothing to do with him or his own, starting a thread intended to tweak fans of The Citadel.

That being said, I just got back from the game. Citdog and I rode through campus before the game and we saw the PUB marching through town. Gave them a little cheer and went on to the stadium. What the PUB did at the pre-game show was very classy. The made a block "C" facing our stands, and then they did something for us that our own band is not allowed to do: they played "Dixie." They got a standing ovation from the El Cid faithful.

The halftime show was goofy but tasteful and actually funny. They made a sort of "Citadel... we had such fun.... why haven't you called?" kind of schtick. They made some pretty funny references to Strom Thurmond, Gov. Sanford (a Furman grad, BTW) and other recent SC pols in the news. Embedded in their show was a tongue-in-cheek apology for last year's kerfluffle. They made some fun and also made some self-deprecating fun of themselves. Pretty much all the El Cid faqns enjoyed it, even those who didn't really understand it.

Then we stomped their football team into the ground.

NOw I'm off to the Witherspoon Grill in Princeton for a steak. Maybe I'll come back to AGS someday to post again, since I am sure I have probably said something in this post to get myself banned again along with some smartypants comment from a MOD in my inbox.

T-Dog
September 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM
The made a block "C" facing our stands, and then they did something for us that our own band is not allowed to do: they played "Dixie." They got a standing ovation from the El Cid faithful.

I bet the old dog had a tear in his eye when that happened.

AppMan
September 19th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Phoenixalltheway –
“Two things. One, as an Elon student, I have to say, Citadel, YOU SUCK!” What else would one expect from a smart-a$$, know it all, Yankee Elon brat.

“… we're going to beat an ACC team tomorrow night.”
How did that work out for you? Looks like you need to pay attention that old Southern saying…. Better to keep your mouth shut and have everyone think you are a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

AppMan
September 19th, 2009, 09:26 PM
"The made a block "C" facing our stands, and then they did something for us that our own band is not allowed to do: they played "Dixie." They got a standing ovation from the El Cid faithful."

That is amazing! Wonder why Ole Miss can still play Dixie and you guys can't? Hard to believe Political Correctness has invaded The Citadel. I have a tape of the 1983 ASU / The Citadel game on CBS showing the band playing Dixie during the halftime show. The play by play announcer Charlie Neal (who happens to be Black) commented what an inspiring song it was. Man oh man have times changed.

ngineer
September 19th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Phoenixalltheway –
“Two things. One, as an Elon student, I have to say, Citadel, YOU SUCK!” What else would one expect from a smart-a$$, know it all, Yankee Elon brat.

How did that work out for you? Looks like you need to pay attention that old Southern saying…. Better to keep your mouth shut and have everyone think you are a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Interesting...and ironic, because I have always read that saying was attributable to Abraham Lincoln.;)

ngineer
September 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM
phillyAPP, thanks for the props. Just consider the source.... Franks Tanks is a West Point drop-out. His hostility is evidenced by his obsession with a game between two schools that have nothing to do with him or his own, starting a thread intended to tweak fans of The Citadel.

That being said, I just got back from the game. Citdog and I rode through campus before the game and we saw the PUB marching through town. Gave them a little cheer and went on to the stadium. What the PUB did at the pre-game show was very classy. The made a block "C" facing our stands, and then they did something for us that our own band is not allowed to do: they played "Dixie." They got a standing ovation from the El Cid faithful.

The halftime show was goofy but tasteful and actually funny. They made a sort of "Citadel... we had such fun.... why haven't you called?" kind of schtick. They made some pretty funny references to Strom Thurmond, Gov. Sanford (a Furman grad, BTW) and other recent SC pols in the news. Embedded in their show was a tongue-in-cheek apology for last year's kerfluffle. They made some fun and also made some self-deprecating fun of themselves. Pretty much all the El Cid faqns enjoyed it, even those who didn't really understand it.

NOw I'm off to the Witherspoon Grill in Princeton for a steak. Maybe I'll come back to AGS someday to post again, since I am sure I have probably said something in this post to get myself banned again along with some smartypants comment from a MOD in my inbox.

Any insight into the Princeton team? Were you that good, they that bad, or combination thereof?? We get the Tigers next week.

tractorapp
September 19th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Two things. One, as an Elon student, I have to say, Citadel, YOU SUCK! You got demolished by an ACC team and we're going to beat an ACC team tomorrow night. Secondly, I'm confused as to what made Princeton's band bad? Because they played a halftime show there? And they walked across campus? What is wrong with walking across campus and playing instruments at halftime? I think the Cadets want to boo them because they are the enemy, and you folks will certainly be booed up here this year, but to throw rocks at them, and to boo THE BAND, is ridiculous. The band was simply playing their instruments and WALKING across campus.

Somebody tell me what is significant I am missing, because this can't be all there is to it.

How did that beating a ACC team work out for you? You have no clue what happened down there last year. I do, my son is a '08 Citadel grad and I was there. Both sides could have behaved better, but the Princeton band certainly started the trouble and then made matters worse at halftime by there unscripted vulgar behavior. I never want App to play these guys if there band comes within 500 miles of our campus.

CamelCityAppFan
September 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Interesting...and ironic, because I have always read that saying was attributable to Abraham Lincoln.;)

Actually, it's generally attributed to Mark Twain, who was generally considered a Southerner.

It's a riff off a much earlier familiar saying: "Let a fool hold his tongue and he will pass for a sage." (Publius Syrus, 42 B.C.) xreadx

CID1990
September 19th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Any insight into the Princeton team? Were you that good, they that bad, or combination thereof?? We get the Tigers next week.

Princeton is much better than the score would suggest. Our defense is a monster this year. Some of our conference foes are going to be surprised at the difference between this year and last year. We went back to the 3-4 and we added the WKU transfer DL to augment Terrence Reese. Our defense created 21 of our points. If we had been playing with last year's setup we would have won, but it would have been by only 1 or 2 TDs.

Princeton has the Ivy League's best running back in Culbreath. He is very good, and we game planned for him. We were able to pretty much shut him down, but he still brned us a couple times. The Tigers played a very spirited game, and their offense shows a lot of different looks, mostly based around the option. Their QB is a rookie, and he had some flashes of brilliance, but his inexperience showed in his pass timing. When he settled down, he was very accurate. When he hurried he threw ints. That being said, we did not blitz ONE TIME today. SO it is hard to say how their OL will handle blitz packages.

We kept their offense off the field because we finally have a good D, and then we just wore their D out. I think that if you play against the option well and you are able to pressure their QB you will be in good shape. Princeton plays with a lot of heart though, and I think that they will be a much better team as the season goes on. This was, after all, their season opener.

CID1990
September 19th, 2009, 10:01 PM
How did that beating a ACC team work out for you? You have no clue what happened down there last year. I do, my son is a '08 Citadel grad and I was there. Both sides could have behaved better, but the Princeton band certainly started the trouble and then made matters worse at halftime by there unscripted vulgar behavior. I never want App to play these guys if there band comes within 500 miles of our campus.

Something about beating Davidson and PC made them think they were ready for the BCS.

BULLDOG8180
September 19th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Phoenixalltheway –

Amen brother!

Go...gate
September 19th, 2009, 10:59 PM

I attended the game as well. The Citadel was a vastly superior team. Princeton has a lot of work to do. A decent QB with a good arm but not much else. Awful kicking game.

Gotta tell you, for all the talk about the Ivy recruiting better athletes than the Patriot because of financial aid policies, I did not see it. Looks to me like the Ivy is just as overmatched by scholarship schools as the PL is. The lone exceptions in this regard might be Harvard and Penn, but I'm pretty skeptical even about them. Bottom line is that the scholarships make a BIG difference and you could see it on the field today.

Let me add that one of my clients is an advisor to the PU band (and a former PU ROTC participant back in the day) and the band was told by President Tilighman and Athletic Director Walters in no uncertain terms to clean it up.

Sorry I missed Citdog and some of his fellow alums from The Citadel. You have quite a team and that RB Jones is tremendous. Your two QB's are also top level.

AppMan
September 20th, 2009, 07:45 AM

Nope, Mark Twain. It is often attributed to Lincoln, but nowhere is there any recorded proof. Another one of those legends afforded Lincoln. BTW, you do know Missouri was the 12th state to join the Confederacy.

ngineer
September 20th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Princeton is much better than the score would suggest. Our defense is a monster this year. Some of our conference foes are going to be surprised at the difference between this year and last year. We went back to the 3-4 and we added the WKU transfer DL to augment Terrence Reese. Our defense created 21 of our points. If we had been playing with last year's setup we would have won, but it would have been by only 1 or 2 TDs.

Princeton has the Ivy League's best running back in Culbreath. He is very good, and we game planned for him. We were able to pretty much shut him down, but he still brned us a couple times. The Tigers played a very spirited game, and their offense shows a lot of different looks, mostly based around the option. Their QB is a rookie, and he had some flashes of brilliance, but his inexperience showed in his pass timing. When he settled down, he was very accurate. When he hurried he threw ints. That being said, we did not blitz ONE TIME today. SO it is hard to say how their OL will handle blitz packages.

We kept their offense off the field because we finally have a good D, and then we just wore their D out. I think that if you play against the option well and you are able to pressure their QB you will be in good shape. Princeton plays with a lot of heart though, and I think that they will be a much better team as the season goes on. This was, after all, their season opener.

That could be a problem for us, then. Although we have gotten good pressure on the QB at times, we have not played the option well. I believe you have to really attack the QB early and force him into either eating the ball or pitching early, which can lead to turnovers. Unless a D has great speed on the corners, stretching it out only causes more problems , imo. Thanks.

Franks Tanks
September 20th, 2009, 10:33 AM

I was simply interested in the game buddy. It is unusual for Ivy schools to play SoCon schools, amd the happenings last year made it more intersting.

Go...gate
September 20th, 2009, 05:02 PM

I think you are being very gracious to Princeton. After the first half, you completely dominated them. But I hope they do well in the Ivy League race.

CID1990
September 20th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I think you are being very gracious to Princeton. After the first half, you completely dominated them. But I hope they do well in the Ivy League race.

I thought that they played well in some areas. Their pass rush was very good and is going to cause some problems for their future opponents. They blitzed on almost every play, and their blitzes were well called and coached. We were eventually able to overcome that by going to the option occasionally, but they definitely found one of our weaknesses and exploited it.

I don't think I was being too gracious, I just saw some things from our team that lead me to believe that we are much, much better than we were last year. We did not even pull out the new playbook at all. We just played vanilla on offense and dominated on defense.

In terms of the running game, this same Princeton team ran all over us last year in Charleston. I think this Princeton team was better than the one that led us 17-7at the half last year. Hopefully we can continue to win next week while keeping most of our stuff off the film like we did this week and last.

CID1990
September 20th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I was simply interested in the game buddy. It is unusual for Ivy schools to play SoCon schools, amd the happenings last year made it more intersting.

B.S.

If you were simply interested in the game your tone in your original post would not have been so snide.

Franks Tanks
September 20th, 2009, 05:35 PM
B.S.

If you were simply interested in the game your tone in your original post would not have been so snide.

The game and the atmosphere that surrounds the game. Sure I made a comment about the incident last year cause I know it would cause all the Citadel folks to freak out again. Still have you panties in a bunch I see.

DJOM
September 20th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Princeton's first game. They played well considering they started 3 weeks later than everyone else. That much extra time gives opponents a distinct advantage. especially when the team is of The Citadel's caliber.

Millwoch
September 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I attended the game as well. The Citadel was a vastly superior team. Princeton has a lot of work to do. A decent QB with a good arm but not much else. Awful kicking game.

Gotta tell you, for all the talk about the Ivy recruiting better athletes than the Patriot because of financial aid policies, I did not see it. Looks to me like the Ivy is just as overmatched by scholarship schools as the PL is. The lone exceptions in this regard might be Harvard and Penn, but I'm pretty skeptical even about them. Bottom line is that the scholarships make a BIG difference and you could see it on the field today.

Let me add that one of my clients is an advisor to the PU band (and a former PU ROTC participant back in the day) and the band was told by President Tilighman and Athletic Director Walters in no uncertain terms to clean it up.

Sorry I missed Citdog and some of his fellow alums from The Citadel. You have quite a team and that RB Jones is tremendous. Your two QB's are also top level.

I made the trip up and: 1. Princeton is a beautiful area. Facilities are top notch. And the food at the Quadrangle Club was great. All Princeton people I met were great and really respectful (band members included). Amazed that you can buy season tickets up there for $25....

2. The Citadel D is tough and they focused on stopping the run. They held Culbreath (all Ivey last year) to 67 total yards. They did a great job of it and I can only remember one play Princeton had over 20 yards. Two interception in the 4th quarter made it a blow out. It was 10-7 @ half and Princeton missed a FG for the tie early in the 3rd. It was all Citadel from there. I have not seen the stats, but I would guess the Citadel O has the ball 6-7 mins, if not more than Princeton and Princeton D was spent in the fourth.. I think that was the game plan from Higgins.

3. Princeton's pass rush was tough on us early and forced blanchard to make get rid of the ball early. Roberts was double teamed on every play and we threw elsewhere. Harwood had 7 catches for 99 yards. Princeton had some decent skill position players but we will see better in the coming weeks with Appy and Elon.

If Citadel can continue to run the ball well, they will be a decent team this year, but I feel the entire socon has improved from last year. Expect the Dogs to beat someone they should not.

ngineer
September 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Princeton's first game. They played well considering they started 3 weeks later than everyone else. That much extra time gives opponents a distinct advantage. especially when the team is of The Citadel's caliber.

Holy Cow!! A Princeton Tiger posting...and #1...Welcome aboard...and just in time to the start a Lehigh/Princeton thread leading into this weekend. Hope you have a long injury list from Saturday.;)

bulldog10jw
September 20th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Holy Cow!! A Princeton Tiger posting...and #1...Welcome aboard...and just in time to the start a Lehigh/Princeton thread leading into this weekend. Hope you have a long injury list from Saturday.;)

That means Go...gate no longer has to be the defacto Princeton poster. xlolx

CID1990
September 20th, 2009, 07:14 PM
The game and the atmosphere that surrounds the game. Sure I made a comment about the incident last year cause I know it would cause all the Citadel folks to freak out again. Still have you panties in a bunch I see.

Nope, not in a bunch at all. I was just putting your angst into context for phillyapp. He was probably not aware that you don't miss opportunities to dig on The Citadel because of your status as a military school quitter. You sound like a carbon copy of every guy I ever knew who dropped out.

CID1990
September 20th, 2009, 07:16 PM

Hopefully at the end of the season you will be able to look back on this game and say that your only loss was to the SoCon champs!

bulldog10jw
September 20th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Hopefully at the end of the season you will be able to look back on this game and say that your only loss was to the SoCon champs!

I don't hope that.

Ivytalk
September 20th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Member since 8/08 and first post. Probably been tailgating at Cap and Gown...xrolleyesxxcoolx

CID1990
September 20th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I don't hope that.

I'm sure.

It is just good form to wish your last opponent well. Plus, I still maintain that they have a good club.

Go...gate
September 20th, 2009, 07:25 PM
That means Go...gate no longer has to be the defacto Princeton poster. xlolx

It is nice to see that orange and black head gear. Old Nassau is "in the house".

bulldog10jw
September 20th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Member since 8/08 and first post. Probably been tailgating at Cap and Gown...xrolleyesxxcoolx

Maybe he was waiting until Princeton had a big win before posting........and finally realized that could be a loooooooong wait. ;)

Franks Tanks
September 20th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Nope, not in a bunch at all. I was just putting your angst into context for phillyapp. He was probably not aware that you don't miss opportunities to dig on The Citadel because of your status as a military school quitter. You sound like a carbon copy of every guy I ever knew who dropped out.

I didnt drop out of anything. I finished my time a prep school and then didnt attend West Point. I didnt drop out of the point, I never attended

CID1990
September 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I didnt drop out of anything. I finished my time a prep school and then didnt attend West Point. I didnt drop out of the point, I never attended

"A" prep school? Just any 'ol prep school?

DJOM
September 21st, 2009, 09:29 AM
I was just quietly sitting on sidelines, taking it all in before starting on board. Visited Leheigh last year with other son; he plays for Drake. Leheigh has a beautiful campus and facilities. See you Saturday.

Franks Tanks
September 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM
"A" prep school? Just any 'ol prep school?

West Point Prep. But the way it works is that admission to West Point isnt guaranteed or required after finishing. Yes it works in such a manner that the ultimate goal is to attend West Point most kids who finish the program end up at West Point, but certainly not all.

I didnt leave West Point. I didnt attend after the Prep school.

Go...gate
September 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM
West Point Prep. But the way it works is that admission to West Point isnt guaranteed or required after finishing. Yes it works in such a manner that the ultimate goal is to attend West Point most kids who finish the program end up at West Point, but certainly not all.

I didnt leave West Point. I didnt attend after the Prep school.

Leave Tanks alone. A lot of kids to go WPP, NAPS, Valley Forge Military Academy, Admiral Farragut, and other military regimen prep schools and don't attend a military academy. Many of their better students go on to the Ivy and Patriot Leagues and the NESCAC. Conversely, a lot of prep schools (such as the Hun School, which I attended) have contracts or informal "sending relationships" with USMA, USNA, USAFA, USMMA, USCGA, VMI and yes, The Citadel. In some cases the academies or military schools may pay the youngster's tuition in whole or part but it is not indentured servitude for the youngster - at the end of the tenure, he or she may opt to go elsewhere. It is by no means an indictment of a young adult's character.

Franks Tanks
September 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
Leave Tanks alone. A lot of kids to go WPP, NAPS, Valley Forge Military Academy, Admiral Farragut, and other military regimen prep schools and don't attend a military academy. Many of their better students go on to the Ivy and Patriot Leagues and the NESCAC. Conversely, a lot of prep schools (such as the Hun School, which I attended) have contracts or informal "sending relationships" with USMA, USNA, USAFA, USMMA, USCGA, VMI and yes, The Citadel. In some cases the academies or military schools may pay the youngster's tuition in whole or part but it is not indentured servitude for the youngster - at the end of the tenure, he or she may opt to go elsewhere. It is by no means an indictment of a young adult's character.

Ya thanks Gate!!!

In all fairness I do make fun of the Citadel so I do expect to get it back. However, what I believe is mis-understood is that I have some sort of anti-military sentiment, which is not the case at all. I have said many times that Citadel men, and all men, who serve their country deserve respect and reverance.

However, The Citadel and the U.S. Miltary are two distinct entites, that are related but not interconnected. I can poke fun at The Citadel without poking fun at the military. Many Cadets servce in the military and many do not, but nothing i've ever said was disrespectful to those in the military in anyway.

CID1990
September 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM

Tanks brought it on himself with his first post. He's a big boy.

Franks Tanks
September 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM
Tanks brought it on himself with his first post. He's a big boy.

I can take it.

The only thing offensive to me is that it was implied that I dont respect the military service of others. That is certainly not the case.

With that being said I can criticize and poke fun at the Citadel, and that has nothing to do with the military service of those at the Citadel. Somehow Philly App made that very illogical connection.

RichH2
September 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Tanks correct, lets not let PC bull****, take hold here also. We allmake fun of our opponents. This is "messageboardworld", not the playing field where those of us who played ball would compete

Franks Tanks
September 21st, 2009, 01:31 PM
Tanks correct, lets not let PC bull****, take hold here also. We allmake fun of our opponents. This is "messageboardworld", not the playing field where those of us who played ball would compete

Absolutely-- I make fun of Lehigh and vice versa. At the same time I know many fine Lehigh grads, and making fun of the school has little or nothing to do with those who attended.

elon77
September 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Phoenixalltheway –

Like all schools we have some fans that act like horses butts. Phoenixalltheway had a bad case of diarrhea of the mouth. Please excuse him, maybe he is young and will learn to control his mouth.