PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Eastern Washington Fans

UNCBears2010
September 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I have to admit, the Eagles are the team in the Big Sky I know the least about. So, what should I know about you guys? Any particular strengths or weaknesses? Most importantly, do my Bears have a shot at pulling the upset this week?

Also, I'll be happy to answer any of your questions about UNC's team this year.

eagle1
September 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
EWU will be more balanced offensively this year but the strength will always be the passing game. Nichols is poised to have an outstanding year and drove the offense down on the second possession against Cal for a TD. He was 8 for 8 on that drive alone. The running game gets a boost from a true 4.3 guy in Taiwan Jones. The receivers are some of the best in the country at our level (FCS).

Defensively, we lost a lot on the line to graduation last year but the defensive front has some young guys stepping up. We had some difficulty stopping the run against Cal but who doesn't. The linebackers are experienced and go hard to the football. One of the questions going into this season was the secondary but some of these have been answered but there are still more questions about consistancy.

All in all this is a solid team that will only get better each Saturday. The pending post-season ban doesn't appear to be as big of a distraction as everyone else is making it out to be. I seriously think the Eags will be battling for a conference title in early October with Weber at home and then the following week at Montana. Go Eags!!!

Screamin_Eagle174
September 15th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I have to admit, the Eagles are the team in the Big Sky I know the least about. So, what should I know about you guys? Any particular strengths or weaknesses? Most importantly, do my Bears have a shot at pulling the upset this week?

http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/index

QB Nichols and WRs Aaron Boyce, Brysen Brown, Tony Davis and TE Nathan Overbay are All-American capable athletes and back to finish strong for their senior year. Watch out for Nicolas Edwards (6'3, 200lbs) freshman WR. He's got some talent and looks to be our next Aaron Boyce. We have a lot of threats through the air will look to pass before run. The ground game isn't to be overlooked though, with converted CB Taiwan Jones to RB. 6'1, 200lbs and runs a 4.3... if he gets a hole, he's gone, but our line is young and hasn't shown a whole lot of positives.

Defense took a hit on the line with the loss of Buchanan award winner DE Greg Peach, along with DT Lance Witherspoon. Tyler Jolley and Renard Williams are filling in nicely, getting some pressure; Williams had the lone sack of Cal's QB Kevin Riley. Twins Matt and Zach Johnson led the team in tackles last year as freshman, and look to repeat again this year.

The two things I'm worried about is special teams and our kicking game... we replaced both our kicker and punter, and the only FG we've attempted so far this year was blocked. Special teams has been allowing big yardage on kick returns, which needs to be stopped.

I think this game will be extremely competitive and closer than EWU fans would like, but given homefield advantage and the sour taste of getting blown out last week, I think my Eagles will pull it out.

EWU 35, UNC 28

kalm
September 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM
We have always been considered a finesse team and have a long and unpleasant history of playing down to teams we're supposed to beat on paper or who play physical up front like CWU did a couple of years ago in Cheney, or Montana and Sac State last year.

Our question marks this year are at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and as already noted on special teams.

I also think that Nichol's and head coach Beau Baldwin are still trying to forge an identify for this offense. Nichol's MVP year was under OC Todd Sturdy (now at Washington State) and put up 400+ on the Griz at home, boat-raced #2 seeded McNeese at home in the playoffs, and scored 35 against NC ASU in a losing effort during the quarterfinals. We had a good line that year, but with all the motion and different sets, no-one knew where the ball was going anyway except Nichol's and he delivered it quickly.

Baldwin took over the play calling half way through last season and Nichols showed much improvement over the first half, but I'd like to see us go back to Sturdy's type of offense with different looks every down, a whole bunch of motion and more aggressive play calling.

On defense, our losses upfront are considerable, but once Zach Johnson is back from injury (oct.?) our linebacking corps should give us more opportunities to take chances and blitz. But defense remains a question mark and it may come down to bending not breaking, creating turnovers, and outscoring everyone.

Nice win for da bears last week, I think this could be your BSC break out year with several conference wins and perhaps a .500 record. Good luck.

coover
September 15th, 2009, 08:41 PM

Didn't the Bears already beat EWU this season? :)

UNCBears2010
September 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM

Not yet, ask again in a week.xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM

The Golden Bears. They're a little more ferocious. xcoffeex

Okay, a whole hell of a lot more ferocious. xeekx

UNCBears2010
September 15th, 2009, 11:31 PM
The Golden Bears. They're a little more ferocious. xcoffeex

Okay, a whole hell of a lot more ferocious. xeekx

Both teams recruited Andre Harris, though, and UNC got him.

EdubAlum
September 16th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I'm looking forward to Finally playing an FCS team, i don't have enough confidence yet this season to predict a score, but i do know, nobody wants to lose their first conference game, esp at home.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 16th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Both teams recruited Andre Harris, though, and UNC got him.

He might have some physical talent, but I guess for him intelligence is yet to be desired. xreadx xlolx

ncbears
September 16th, 2009, 02:58 PM
He might have some physical talent, but I guess for him intelligence is yet to be desired. xreadx xlolx

The physical talent will be displayed Sat. He's going to run all over you. 150 yards against San Diego. He almost split carries with another player too.

grizband
September 16th, 2009, 03:08 PM

The physical talent will be displayed Sat. He's going to run all over you. 150 yards against San Diego. He almost split carries with another player too.
Well, he certainly wasn't going to start over Jahvid Best this year, so maybe he thought NoCo was his best option for success this year.

eagle1
September 16th, 2009, 03:12 PM
EWU has a solid running game as well with Jones. This has the makings of a good conference opener for both teams. I am sure that this running back from UNC is as good as advertised but EWU has alot of playmakers as well that will be on display Saturday xthumbsupx. Make sure to watch Taiwan Jones (RB), Matt Nicholls (QB), Aaron Boyce (WR), Tony Davis (WR), Nate Overbay (TE), Matt Johnson (S), Makai Borden (LB), and JC Sherritt (LB) just to name a few. Go Eagles!!!

UNCBears2010
September 16th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Well, he certainly wasn't going to start over Jahvid Best this year, so maybe he thought NoCo was his best option for success this year.

The only reason he isn't at Oregon is because he wasn't going to start over LaGarrette Blount! xlolxxlolxxlolx

Thanks, Ducks!