PDA

View Full Version : St. Francis (Pa.)???

CDT_Wilson
September 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM
What's the word on the Red Flash? I never heard of them until I saw them on UNI's schedule. I see they are a young team and a pretty small school. Is it liable to be like UNI vs. SDU last week? I shoot out T-shirts after TD's with the UNI ROTC on the field and we went through two boxes of shirts last week. That's like 150 shirts. Should I plan to bring 1, or 2, or even 3 boxes of shirts.

nmatsen
September 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Wow, this is a team that is 1-1. Their loss was a close loss at NH. Lets simmer down a little bit. They aren't all going to be 60 point routs. Well, we do play Indiana State and home and MSU is on the road. Maybe go ahead and order a couple of more boxes.

CDT_Wilson
September 15th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Just curious what to expect. Last year UNI didn't have much film on SDU and we saw how close that was. This year more film more points. Don't know what to expect.

danefan
September 15th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Here's the deal - St Francis has been the NEC bottom feeder for years now. They were winless last year - 0-11.

They seem to have found something in the offseason - playing UNH tough (UNH didn't have a good game, but still) and putting Morehead away like a scholarship team should.

St Francis is a tiny school in the middle of nowhere and thus they have a hard time recruiting. They always get some talent but for some reason they have never been able to put it together.

UAalum72
September 15th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Skepticism of St. Francis is based on their history - a record of 68-230-4 since reviving football in 1978, with three winning seasons and seven winless seasons, including 0-11 last year. All the winning seasons were as D-III. Tough to stir up interest when just down the road from State College, PA. Head coach played at Penn State.

CDT_Wilson
September 15th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Kind of curious how UNI and St. Francis came to schedule each other?

nmatsen
September 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Mutual Open Dates to my knowledge.

andy7171
September 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM

I agree. Why EITHER of these teams wants to play the other is baffling. It's going to destroy UNI's SOS and well St Francis is just going to be destroyed. xnonono2x

CDT_Wilson
September 15th, 2009, 12:56 PM
It would almost be worth it, other then travel and monetary, for UNI to schedule a FBS team. To be the best you have to play the best ( why I think USC should be #1 FBS and not Florida).

Big Al
September 15th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Considering the state of UNI's athletics budget, I'd bet money was a primary motivator for bringing St. Francis to the UNI-Dome. It may hurt our SOS but that only matters if we're talking seed (possible) or are on the bubble to get in (doesn't look likely at this point). SOS doesn't factor into determining home playoff games, just bids.

It's a counter game in the Dome against a FCS foe, that's what really matters.

nmatsen
September 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I wonder what the difference is between home game against St. Francis and an FBS payout of $500,000 where the team needs to fly in the night before and stay in a hotel. Meals will offset.

No bus rental
No plane chartering
No 50 hotel rooms

vs

12,000 paid at the dome + concessions - Saint Francis Payout

I still hate the fact that we don't charge for general parking. It would not stop one person from coming if we charged $6 a car, and we could make $10,000 more a game. If not more.

JayJ79
September 15th, 2009, 04:19 PM

UNI wanted a home game. And a possibly-weak D-I team is better than scheduling a D2 game.

Strength of Schedule doesn't mean all that much for an established FCS team.
Montana is a good example of that. (though they do seem to be scheduling some tougher teams now, which I have to give them credit for)

blackpanther
September 16th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I wonder what the difference is between home game against St. Francis and an FBS payout of $500,000 where the team needs to fly in the night before and stay in a hotel. Meals will offset.

No bus rental
No plane chartering
No 50 hotel rooms

vs

12,000 paid at the dome + concessions - Saint Francis Payout

I still hate the fact that we don't charge for general parking. It would not stop one person from coming if we charged $6 a car, and we could make $10,000 more a game. If not more.What lots would you charge for? The north WRC lot where students tailgate? The old Latham Field Lot behind Schindler? The lots by the Towers? The lots behind the towers? There is so much parking around the dome that if they charge for some lots, they have to charge every lot within a 15 minute walk or charging won't be effective. Not that i don't agree with you.

CDT_Wilson
September 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
They do charge during the State football playoffs. For the lot south of McCloud and to the west. Problem is the baseball team were the ones who ran it.

Wildcat80
September 16th, 2009, 10:39 AM
UNH got up quick 21 to 0 in the first....I do not want to take anything away from St Francis cause they played us tough....But it could easily have been 42 to 7 too. They just won convincingly so they will be more confident to play. No score will surprise me.

CDT_Wilson
September 18th, 2009, 11:44 AM
So I have 144 t-shirts and 20 mini footballs ready for the game. In reading about St Francis this is going to be a bigger venue for them. I saw that their last home game they had the highest attendance since 1996 with a little over 1,500. I think UNI had at least 10,000 last game and there is a promotion for old turf give away for the first 12,000.

The dome brings the noise, audibles better be hand signals.

Safe travels to the Red Flash.

Khan4Cats
September 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM
So I have 144 t-shirts and 20 mini footballs ready for the game. In reading about St Francis this is going to be a bigger venue for them. I saw that their last home game they had the highest attendance since 1996 with a little over 1,500. I think UNI had at least 10,000 last game and there is a promotion for old turf give away for the first 12,000.

The dome brings the noise, audibles better be hand signals.

Safe travels to the Red Flash.

They're going to get a shock just walking into the Dome with the sign hanging over it with UNI's all-time record in the building. St. Francis has about a 32% all-time winning percentage as a PROGRAM.

I think it's safe to say that this will be by far the biggest venue that these kids have walked into as players. Some may have visited Penn State (or at least seen some of it) but I don't think they have been into anything close in the FCS, and UNH is not much of a shock-at least in September before the cold winds really start.

Doesn't equate to a win, but this one shouldn't be much more of a competition than last week's game, though the score could be closer. And TSN, no way do they score 24 points on us unless we throw a couple pick 6's or give up a kick return. But not on UNI's defense.

one last comparison, St. Francis' starting center is 6'1" and 270 pounds, UNI's starting QB is 6'2" and 245-50 pounds. Not a good sign when our QB is almost as big as some of their OL.

Dane96
September 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Alot of centers are that big. Silly comparison.

Khan4Cats
September 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Alot of centers are that big. Silly comparison.

Ours is 6'3" and 305, and he's the little one on the line because he pulls for trap plays.xrolleyesx

downbythebeach
September 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM
one last comparison, St. Francis' starting center is 6'1" and 270 pounds, UNI's starting QB is 6'2" and 245-50 pounds. Not a good sign when our QB is almost as big as some of their OL.

too many golden corrals out there in the midwestxrotatehx

Dane96
September 18th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Ours is 6'3" and 305, and he's the little one on the line because he pulls for trap plays.xrolleyesx

You clearly forgot the Bronco teams of the NFL.

Also, the Danes beat "better" teams with a 280lb center.

Big Al
September 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM

No, it's Old Country Buffet in these parts. Golden Corrals are all out west.

4N6
September 18th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Nope ... it's the corn.http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_170/1185844728SVw3Es.jpg

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM
No, it's Old Country Buffet in these parts. Golden Corrals are all out west.

Actually, there is a Golden Corral in Davenport, and I believe Des Moines as well. ;)

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 18th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Actually, there is a Golden Corral in Davenport, and I believe Des Moines as well. ;)

Rob, think you can get any St Francis fans to the Saphire Clubxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxx lolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

downbythebeach
September 18th, 2009, 05:22 PM
i was gonna say corn-fed but i figured you guys were sick of hearing that

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Rob, think you can get any St Francis fans to the Saphire Clubxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxx lolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Did you guys go to Saphires???????

I think I tried to forget that....xlolxxlolxxlolx

PantherRob does not endorse going to Saphire's.

Chi Panther
September 18th, 2009, 07:56 PM
You clearly forgot the Bronco teams of the NFL.

Also, the Danes beat "better" teams with a 280lb center.

UNI has a starting Center in the NFL...xrolleyesx

downbythebeach
September 18th, 2009, 08:28 PM

well in that case.......xlolxxlolxxlolx

danefan
September 19th, 2009, 05:29 AM

So does Robert Morris. What does that prove? He's in the NFL....aka not on UNI anymore.

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/07/bestfraleycc.jpg

Chi Panther
September 19th, 2009, 09:03 AM
So does Robert Morris. What does that prove? He's in the NFL....aka not on UNI anymore.

Simply that Centers over 300 pounds are the norm...FCS or NFL..xeekx

Our DTs will blow up a 270 pound center...plain and simple...

DFW HOYA
September 19th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Simply that Centers over 300 pounds are the norm...FCS or NFL..xeekx

Our DTs will blow up a 270 pound center...plain and simple...

Imagine, then, a 240 pound center, which is what the Hoyas had two years ago.

Chi Panther
September 19th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I just looked at their website....IF St Francis starts 3 Frosh, 1 Soph and 1 Junior on the OL....it will be a long day.

Chi Panther
September 19th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Imagine, then, a 240 pound center, which is what the Hoyas had two years ago.

I can't.xrotatehx

downbythebeach
September 19th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I hope it comes down to the kicking game............

Chi Panther
September 19th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I hope it comes down to the kicking game............

Good thing the kick wouldn't have 111 years of pressure on itxpeacex

downbythebeach
September 19th, 2009, 09:26 AM
^lol yeah I was watching that game and pacing
hate those big ten teams
that would have been some moment for that your kicker, i can only imagine

Big Al
September 19th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Good thing the kick wouldn't have 111 years of pressure on itxpeacex

I think it's just about impossible for St. Francis to collapse the line like Iowa did to block those kicks.

While I think I'm the only person who doesn't think St. Francis is gonna be a complete patsy like USD was last week, I still don't expect it to be close. I don't see St. Francis with more than 14 points in this game, and I don't see UNI with less than 5 touchdowns. From where I sit, 21 point spread is a respectable showing by both squads. If St. Francis wants to get any closer than that, they need to start praying to St. Jude the Apostle. Catholics will get that joke.

ValleyChamp
September 19th, 2009, 10:45 AM
UNI by at least 40.

downbythebeach
September 19th, 2009, 10:46 AM
If St. Francis wants to get any closer than that, they need to start praying to St. Jude the Apostle. Catholics will get that joke.

lol someone knows their patron saints pretty wellxbowx
i had to wikipedia it

CDT_Wilson
September 19th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I just hope neither team has any injuries and they can use the film to improve and get better.

Sturgisjeff
September 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Didn't SFU play in the NAIA Div 2 National Championship a few years ago agains the Univ of Sioux Falls?

JayJ79
September 19th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Didn't SFU play in the NAIA Div 2 National Championship a few years ago agains the Univ of Sioux Falls?

that's St. Francis from Indiana.

UNI played St. Francis from Pennsylvania

Big Al
September 20th, 2009, 12:17 AM
While the game was never in question, I want to give St. Francis credit for hanging in there during the first half. As has already been said, UNI's offense seemed flat, which is quite a statement considering they hung 30 points on the Red Flash.

While I think I'm the only person who doesn't think St. Francis is gonna be a complete patsy like USD was last week, I still don't expect it to be close. I don't see St. Francis with more than 14 points in this game, and I don't see UNI with less than 5 touchdowns. From where I sit, 21 point spread is a respectable showing by both squads. If St. Francis wants to get any closer than that, they need to start praying to St. Jude the Apostle. Catholics will get that joke.