PDA

View Full Version : Stephen F. Austin @ Western Illinois

leatherneck177
September 15th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I would like to hear any thoughts for Lumberjacks fans or Southland followers. I am anticipating another high scoring affair, as it appears that our defense just isn't what it once was.

I remember the SFA QB coming in a couple years ago and looking solid, he has matured since than, so I'm a bit concerned about the numbers he may put up.

What are the expections for SFA this year? How does the defense look? How many starters returning? Was the game against SMU a good measuring stick?

McNeese75
September 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM
The SFA QB will spread the ball all over the place and if he cuts down on his picks, it could be a very interesting day.

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM
The SFA QB will spread the ball all over the place and if he cuts down on his picks, it could be a very interesting day.

That's the storyline of the season.

SFA could potentially be in the mix for the SLC title if Jeremy Moses can throw three or four scores for every INT. The fact of the matter, he has not.

The weapons are there and the defense is solid. It's now a matter of keeping the giveaway/takeaway number in the right place. Do that, you win.

WIU can tell you a little about that (see SHSU/WIU game)...

leatherneck177
September 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM
That's the storyline of the season.

SFA could potentially be in the mix for the SLC title if Jeremy Moses can throw three or four scores for every INT. The fact of the matter, he has not.

The weapons are there and the defense is solid. It's now a matter of keeping the giveaway/takeaway number in the right place. Do that, you win.

WIU can tell you a little about that (see SHSU/WIU game)...

What were your thoughts on NDSU?

RabidRabbit
September 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM
SFA is in it's 3rd year of essentially the same elements/coaching, after a disasterous 0-11 season. (IIRC, '05 campaign wasn't much better) So, this is getting to be an EXPERIENCED team, where most of the players know how they're going to fit together.

WIU has most back after a middling season, but lost two all-FCS players, so they are still learning about themselves.

Should be an interesting MVFC/SLC game.

leatherneck177
September 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM
SFA is in it's 3rd year of essentially the same elements/coaching, after a disasterous 0-11 season. (IIRC, '05 campaign wasn't much better) So, this is getting to be an EXPERIENCED team, where most of the players know how they're going to fit together.

WIU has most back after a middling season, but lost two all-FCS players, so they are still learning about themselves.

Should be an interesting MVFC/SLC game.

Those were the words I was looking for to describe Western. I really think Western will have the edge at home. I'll say:

Necks 31
SFA 27

lionsrking2
September 15th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I would like to hear any thoughts for Lumberjacks fans or Southland followers. I am anticipating another high scoring affair, as it appears that our defense just isn't what it once was.

I remember the SFA QB coming in a couple years ago and looking solid, he has matured since than, so I'm a bit concerned about the numbers he may put up.

What are the expections for SFA this year? How does the defense look? How many starters returning? Was the game against SMU a good measuring stick?

You guys will out-physical them on both sides of the ball IMO...I obviously haven't seen the Lumberjacks yet this year, but they were horrible defensively in '08 and I'm not convinced they're much better...SMU is a similar, finesse type team - and not a very good one either - so I don't consider that game much of a measuring stick...if your defensive coordinator understands the Air Raid and the concepts behind it, you should be okay defensing it...they'll hit a big play here or there, but if you don't turn it over and give them stuff, I think you'll win by a couple of TDs.

leatherneck177
September 15th, 2009, 03:12 PM
You guys will out-physical them on both sides of the ball IMO...I obviously haven't seen the Lumberjacks yet this year, but they were horrible defensively in '08 and I'm not convinced they're much better...SMU is a similar, finesse type team - and not a very good one either - so I don't consider that game much of a measuring stick...if your defensive coordinator understands the Air Raid and the concepts behind it, you should be okay defensing it...they'll hit a big play here or there, but if you don't turn it over and give them stuff, I think you'll win by a couple of TDs.

Similar approach to SHSU? Similar type of play I am assuming from what I have read and gathered.

UNIFanSince1983
September 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM
They are coming off a game in which they put 92 points on the board. Sounds like a high powered offense to me xwhistlexxwhistlex

leatherneck177
September 15th, 2009, 04:34 PM
They are coming off a game in which they put 92 points on the board. Sounds like a high powered offense to me xwhistlexxwhistlex

Western did that to Cheyney in 2004, yet still finished 4-7.

lionsrking2
September 15th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Similar approach to SHSU? Similar type of play I am assuming from what I have read and gathered.

Not even close to the same...SFA runs the Air Raid, which is what Texas Tech runs...Sam runs a more conventional, balanced type attack with a true tight end and a fullback at times...SFA will run a lot of four and five wides with huge line splits and rarely use a true tight end.

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I personally think this is another battle of two mediocre teams. Similar to this years previous MVFC-SLC tilts.

If Western had shown up at all against Northern Illinois I might be a believer.

El Gato
September 15th, 2009, 10:38 PM

Against a severely outmatched NAIA team. However, yes the Lumberjack offense is above mediocre I'd say....also inconsistent.

UNI Pike
September 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I say this is a make or break game for WIU - unless something very surprising happens, they lose 2 of the 3 games to SIU, UNI & SDSU. Too many losses adding up early in the season without a win this week.

leatherneck177
September 16th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I say this is a make or break game for WIU - unless something very surprising happens, they lose 2 of the 3 games to SIU, UNI & SDSU. Too many losses adding up early in the season without a win this week.

Very true, it is a pivotal game for Western. Especially because they follow up with:

10/3 - SIU
10/10 - @ YSU

DG Cowboy
September 18th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Well, SFA could,use a confidence builder. They caught more flack for playing and beating Texas College than if they had played Lufkin High. That's why I wish McNeese would not play D II teams. Nothing to gain, but sometimes that's how the schedule plays out given our location.

leatherneck177
September 18th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Is there a spread on this game? I have heard that there are some websites that will put lines out for FCS games.

RabidRabbit
September 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Well, SFA could,use a confidence builder. They caught more flack for playing and beating Texas College than if they had played Lufkin High. That's why I wish McNeese would not play D II teams. Nothing to gain, but sometimes that's how the schedule plays out given our location.

Remember, that Texas College game was scheduled WHEN SFA was 0-11, and looking to repeat that success! xbawlingx

I'll note that SFA isn't the only SLC team who scheduled a NAIA. xwhistlex

I hope the SLC will find OVC/GWFC/SWAC or even PFL teams to schedule rather than play down for their home games. Hate to see teams in auto-bid conferences basically schedule themselves out of play-offs by scheduling FBS games, and compounded with an non-counter game. SLC, as a conference you have been killing your chances to get any but the AQ into the play-offs ever since 2005 storms clobbered your facilities, requiring the FBS $$ games.

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I hope the SLC will find OVC/GWFC/SWAC or even PFL teams to schedule rather than play down for their home games. Hate to see teams in auto-bid conferences basically schedule themselves out of play-offs by scheduling FBS games, and compounded with an non-counter game. SLC, as a conference you have been killing your chances to get any but the AQ into the play-offs ever since 2005 storms clobbered your facilities, requiring the FBS $$ games.

Hard to schedule the SWAC when they do not properly complete contracts. UAPB has done UCA over twice, PV is in a contract dispute with SHSU and then SLU has dealt with both Alcorn and PV pulling the rug from under them. This is just in the last five or six years...

Look for some scheduling philosophies to change (as SHSU has already announced) with the playoff expansion...

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Is there a spread on this game? I have heard that there are some websites that will put lines out for FCS games.

WIU is a 6.5 favorite on 5dimes.

leatherneck177
September 19th, 2009, 10:07 AM
WIU is a 6.5 favorite on 5dimes.

thanks, where did you get this spread from?

JackTwice
September 19th, 2009, 10:37 AM
thanks, where did you get this spread from?

I'm guessing he's got "a guy" ;)

McNeese75
September 19th, 2009, 12:03 PM
http://www.5dimes.com/

Go to "Live Lines" at the top of the page then click on "Football" "College Extra"

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Moses must have the offense going...

SFA 14-0 WIU, 9:17 1Q

What's going on Leathernecks? Anyone following the game?

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Ball game is tied at 14 apiece now as we start the second quarter.

So SFA scores 14 points in the first first six minutes or so and then WIU responds with two of their own...