PDA

View Full Version : USA Today: CAA Rolls

BDKJMU
September 14th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Saw this in the USA Today. About 1/3 of the way down the article.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-09-13-mac-conference-upsets_N.htm

"CAA rolls:

New Hampshire continued the strong showing of the Football Championship Subdivision's Colonial Athletic Association by knocking off Ball State 23-16 Saturday to run the CAA's record against Bowl Subdivision teams this season to 4-4.

The Wildcats have won five consecutive games against FBS schools and join Richmond (Duke), William & Mary (Virginia) and Villanova (Temple) as CAA teams with FBS wins in 2009. James Madison almost joined that club Saturday but lost in overtime to Maryland 38-35. The CAA played all of these games on the road."

They didn't mention UMass losing @ Kansas State only 21-17 nor what makes the CAA's success stand out even more is that the rest of I-AA is 0-38 vs I-A...

Native
September 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Congrats to the CAA!

JohnStOnge
September 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM
...what makes the CAA's success stand out even more is that the rest of I-AA is 0-38 vs I-A...

Yes. And that's kind of frustrating because there have been a lot of close calls. Northern Iowa's performance against Iowa was, in my opinion, the most impressive performance by a FCS against a FBS this year and is the poster child for that phenomenon. Put it this way: If Northern Iowa had been playing Temple, Duke, Virginia, or Ball State on that day and played like they played against Iowa, I think it's pretty close to a lock that we wouldn't be talking about all of the wins over FBS this year being by CAA teams.

This past weekend you had Jacksonville State leading Florida State with 36 seconds left in the game and Weber State taking Colorado State to the limit. Heck, North Dakota's performance against Texas Tech during the first week was pretty darned good. I don't know if we could count on anybody in FCS doing any better than being within 28-13 of Texas Tech in the fourth quarter.

Mouse
the CAA is so impressive this year

they also have 5 teams in the top 10 & 7 in the top 25

i wonder where sagarin ranks the CAA

Mouse

JackJD
September 14th, 2009, 07:06 PM
You can say that again!

Oh. You already did.

DOME
September 14th, 2009, 07:38 PM
If close losses to FBS teams are worth writing about I've got a good one for you...

South Carolina Duke
September 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM

Last week UR was 61 or 62 and JMU was 64. Then App. State around 74 or so, I believe.

tribe_pride
September 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
You asked so here you go, Sagarin rankings after Week 2 as well as their final 2008 rankings

2009 2008 Team
51 41 Richmond
68 45 James Madison
70 82 William & Mary
97 63 Villanova
103 132 Delaware
106 103 Massachusetts
112 109 Maine
125 81 New Hampshire
158 155 Hofstra
163 168 Northeastern
179 179 Rhode Island
185 186 Towson

Surprisingly enough, the CAA is not in front of any I-A conferences but it's still early and I think that Sagarin is not really accurate for 4 or 5 weeks. Last year we edged the Sun Belt

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc09.htm

Gordon Shumway
September 14th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Yes. And that's kind of frustrating because there have been a lot of close calls. Northern Iowa's performance against Iowa was, in my opinion, the most impressive performance by a FCS against a FBS this year and is the poster child for that phenomenon.

I only got to watch the UNI/Iowa game, and their performance was indeed impressive. The ending was a travesty in light of the spanking they gave Iowa for most all of the game.

CDT_Wilson
September 15th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I only got to watch the UNI/Iowa game, and their performance was indeed impressive. The ending was a travesty in light of the spanking they gave Iowa for most all of the game.

Tell me about it. Being in the stands was pretty cool. Getting to hear the transformation of Iowa fans opinions of Northern Iowa. Beginning of game they were talking 50 points. End of game they were hoping Iowa would lose. They were booing their own team at several points in the game. UNI may not have won the game, but they did win some respect.