18. South Dakota State 983
19. Maine 728
20. Delaware 627
21. Furman 593
22. Texas State 454
23. Eastern Washington 451
24. Eastern Kentucky 290
25. Liberty 275

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Holy Cross (71), Jacksonville State (47), Samford (35), Harvard (32), Eastern Illinois (19), Colgate (13), Florida A&M (13), Grambling State (11), Hofstra (11), Gardner-Webb (6), Georgia Southern (5).

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: McNeese State
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Appalachian State

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 12:02 PM
10. Appalachian St. 1727
11. McNeese St. 1652

Thank goodness this happened to Cowboy fans. Any other team's fans would lose it, but McNeese fans love to sandbag anyway. :p

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 12:03 PM
18. South Dakota St. 983

Underrated.

TexasTerror
September 14th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Holy Cross (71), Jacksonville St. (47), Samford (35), Harvard (32), Eastern Illinois (19), Colgate (13), Florida A&M (13), Grambling St. (11), Hofstra (11), Gardner-Webb (6), Georgia Southern (5), Montana St. (4), Sam Houston St. (4), Western Illinois (4), Northern Arizona (3), Jackson St. (2), Missouri St. (2), North Dakota St. (2), Pennsylvania (2), Rhode Island (2), Southeastern Louisiana (2), Stephen F. Austin (2), UC Davis (2), Youngstown St. (2), Alabama A&M (1)

Woah - the Bearkats get some votes! xeekx

Not from me...

ASUG8
September 14th, 2009, 12:07 PM
10. Appalachian St. 1727
11. McNeese St. 1652

Thank goodness this happened to Cowboy fans. Any other team's fans would lose it, but McNeese fans love to sandbag anyway. :p

They're up 5 spots, we're down 9 - I expected both to be in the 7-8 range. Hats off to McNeese, and I suspect they'll continue to rise. xthumbsupx

danefan
September 14th, 2009, 12:07 PM
xwhistlex

Just kidding. xlolx

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Total voters is up quite a bit, no? 115

jmu007
September 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM
1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 16 ,19, 20.....

...good lord

MD game got me pretty pumped, but CAA schedule is going to be brutal.

asknoquarter21
September 14th, 2009, 12:16 PM
My only change would be to flip 8. 9. 10. and 11.

8. McNeese State
9. Appalachian State
10. Elon
11. Southern Illinois

Lehigh Football Nation
September 14th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Five CAA in Top 10. Discuss.

Least impressive CAA in the Top 10? UNH, by far. Discuss.

PantherRob82
September 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
4. Montana (1) 2379
10. Appalachian State 1727
11. McNeese State 1652
19. Maine 728

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Samford (35), Eastern Illinois (19), Georgia Southern (5).

Montana still in the Top 5 shows me that not many voters watched them play on Saturday. Top 10, maybe, but I'm not so sure about Top 5.

App 1 spot above McNeese makes me think that people are just sliding teams around from the preseason poll, to week one, to week two. An open observation of the season this far says that McNeese is better.

Suprised to see the Jacks at 18. I think they should be higher, but with only one game in the books and so early in the season there's room for debate.

I'm not sure how Maine gets to 19. I'm personally not impressed by them after 2 weeks.

I think Samford and EIU may have earned rankings and can't believe GaSouthern even gets votes. If you think GSU is 25 or higher, you must think SoDakSt is Top 10...

South Carolina Duke
September 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM

UNH made a huge leap! Congrats anyway. However, not completely sold on how heavily they were rewarded mover a MAC school.

Go CAA

MCFAN
September 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM
It's nice for a great win to be recognized and it was certainly a great offensive performance, but I think it's a little early for us to be sniffing the top 10.

Appinator
September 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Most underrated on this poll = Samford

Made UCF have a 4th quarter comeback to squeak out a win and they took care of business with a strong Jacksonville team. Evans might be in the argument for the best back in the SoCon and Taliaferro is consistent and has yet to have an int this season. They should be in the top 25 for sure.

bluehenbillk
September 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Too High: AppSt, Weber St & S. Carolina St

Too Low: Elon, McNeese & S. Dakota St.

What's the point of playing games on the field, at some point in time you have the pay the cost of losing or be rewarded for winning.

Maybe a better idea would be not to have a poll until 10/1.

PantherRob82
September 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM

The reason for 5 CAA teams in the top 10 is that they haven't seperated themselves yet. We just need to figure out where they all fall.

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM
10? 7

tribe_pride
September 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM

You could argue that JMU is the least impressive CAA in the top 10 given that they are 0-1 and the only CAA team in the top 10 without a FBS win. Don't get me wrong. They still showed really well at UMD but I can't say that UNH is without a doubt the worst of the 5.

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM
a strong Jacksonville team
xeyebrowx

bluehenbillk
Is it realistic that the CAA could get 6 teams in the playoffs this year? xcoffeex

PantherRob82

Made UCF have a 4th quarter comeback to squeak out a win and they took care of business with a strong Jacksonville team.

Strong Jacksonville team? What indicators have we seen of that?

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Is it realistic that the CAA could get 6 teams in the playoffs this year? xcoffeex
No. Too many losses to split up.

WMTribe90
September 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I had Hofstrain over Maine as my final CAA school in the top 25. Maine has had two lackluster performances. Barely beat a mediocre DII. Barely beat a struggling NU squad. Hofstra has beat two IAA opponents. Case could obviously be made tht neither belongs, but don't see how Maine's 2-0 is top 25 worthy and Hofstra's is not.

Montana is not a top 5 team right now.

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I had Hofstrain over Maine...
The Hofstrain. I like it! xsmiley_wix

PantherRob82
September 14th, 2009, 12:31 PM

I like the idea of a delayed poll. I would start it after this weekends games.

Personally, I threw rankings out the window and evaluated each team individually.

JMU Newbill
September 14th, 2009, 12:32 PM
You could argue that JMU is the least impressive CAA in the top 10 given that they are 0-1 and the only CAA team in the top 10 without a FBS win. Don't get me wrong. They still showed really well at UMD but I can't say that UNH is without a doubt the worst of the 5.

I'd have to agree with you, but not exactly for the same reasons. I have said all along that until JMU proves itself (and a lot of other teams, including App St), it does not belong in the Top 10. We lost way too much over the off season to have been that high in the preseason poll.

That being said, I do believe JMU will prove itself through the course of a tough CAA schedule where I think we have every chance to do well. Saturday's performance was promising, but until we have anything in the W column, we don't belong in the top 10.

W&M deserves the spot it has right now, but man I sure am looking forward to our meeting in Williamsburg.

South Carolina Duke

Now Bill and Larry,

Congrats on the UVA win.

Unfortunately in the CAA we eat our own during the regular season. We will see here shortly now won't we.

Go Dukes.

WMTribe90
No. Too many losses to split up.

With four IA victories its possible four squads could goundefeated OOC. This opens up the mathmatical possibility of six teams finishing at 8-3 or better. Most "likely" scenario would be UR, JMU, VU, WM, UMass and UNH. This would assume none of the six loses any conference games to anybody outside the six. Probable no, possible yes. If it did happen, one of the six would likely be excluded.

Dukie95

You could make a lot of arguments...like UMD is the best I-A faced of the bunch...but not enough games have been played for anyone to make an intelligent argument about anything.

All I know is I'm now a Maryland fan in the ACC this year. ;)

tribe_pride
September 14th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Made UCF have a 4th quarter comeback to squeak out a win and they took care of business with a strong Jacksonville team. Evans might be in the argument for the best back in the SoCon and Taliaferro is consistent and has yet to have an int this season. They should be in the top 25 for sure.

Hate to keep harping on that but they may be barely favored over ODU this weekend and ODU is a 1st year program with almost all Frosh and sophs.

You must be thinking of Jacksonville St who is 0-2 after 2 "good" losses to Ga Tech 37-17 and Florida St - 19-9

blukeys
September 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Montana still in the Top 5 shows me that not many voters watched them play on Saturday. Top 10, maybe, but I'm not so sure about Top 5.

App 1 spot above McNeese makes me think that people are just sliding teams around from the preseason poll, to week one, to week two. An open observation of the season this far says that McNeese is better.

You are right on both points. It seems that there are still those who don't pay attention to results and simply arbitrarily move a team up or down a certain number of slots based on wins and losses. I don't care where you put McNeese, they should at this stage of the season be ranked ahead of the team they just beat. Putting App ahead of the team that just beat them makes no sense.

WMTribe90
September 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I think Samford and EIU may have earned rankings and can't believe GaSouthern even gets votes. If you think GSU is 25 or higher, you must think SoDakSt is Top 10...

I had both EIU and Samford in my top 25, along with Colgate, which has the most impressive resumeof the PL schools.

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 12:37 PM
This would assume none of the six loses any conference games to anybody outside the six.
Hence the "no" reply from me. I don't see the Hens blanking on JMU, Nova, W&M and UMass, but that could be wishful thinking. xpeacex

Appinator
September 14th, 2009, 12:38 PM
xeyebrowx

Strong Jacksonville team? What indicators have we seen of that?

Hate to keep harping on that but they may be barely favored over ODU this weekend and ODU is a 1st year program with almost all Frosh and sophs.

You must be thinking of Jacksonville St who is 0-2 after 2 "good" losses to Ga Tech 37-17 and Florida St - 19-9

From everything that I have read leading up to this week, Jacksonville seemed to have a pretty good squad. They were picked as an upset in a few places if I remember correctly (on College Sporting News in particular). Like the majority of us, I haven't been able to see them in person. Full scholarships or not, a lot of people seemed to have a high opinion of them.

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 12:38 PM
You could make a lot of arguments...like UMD is the best I-A faced of the bunch...
Their only win is an OT win vs a DII. xcoffeex

xsmiley_wix

tribe_pride
September 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Now Bill and Larry,

Congrats on the UVA win.

Unfortunately in the CAA we eat our own during the regular season. We will see here shortly now won't we.

Go Dukes.

You could make a lot of arguments...like UMD is the best I-A faced of the bunch...but not enough games have been played for anyone to make an intelligent argument about anything.

All I know is I'm now a Maryland fan in the ACC this year. ;)

I was just responding to the Lehigh guys comment that UNH is the least impressive of the CAA 5 easily. I don't think any of the teams is the least impressive by far. Whether that is right or wrong who knows? I think it's easy to say the most impressive so far is Richmond with wins at Duke and at Delaware.

I am just happy that W&M is in the discussion and hope they still are in December (preferably the end of December). W&M gets one more OOC week before it jumps into it home versus Delaware then at Villanova.

Oh yeah and am I really a UVA fan the rest of the year? xconfusedx

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 12:40 PM
a lot of people seemed to have a high opinion of them.
Anyone outside of the Pioneer? xconfusedx

PantherRob82
September 14th, 2009, 12:42 PM
From everything that I have read leading up to this week, Jacksonville seemed to have a pretty good squad. They were picked as an upset in a few places if I remember correctly (on College Sporting News in particular). Like the majority of us, I haven't been able to see them in person. Full scholarships or not, a lot of people seemed to have a high opinion of them.

The guys who picked them also said he thought that them beating Samford and San Diego beat NoCo would prove they deserved an autobid. They weren't close in either game, and all if would've proved is that they could beat the bottom teams of autobid conferences. xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
Ugh, yet again Villanova is one play away from seizing the number one spot. Oh well, i'll take this ranking.

OL FU

Seems to me that you could quibble with exact placement but at this point it is difficult to argue that the CAA shouldn't have 8 teams in the top 25.

I really hated saying thatxmadx

Saint3333
September 14th, 2009, 12:43 PM

What's the point of playing games on the field, at some point in time you have the pay the cost of losing or be rewarded for winning.

I'm fine with you saying ASU is overrated (#13 in my poll) however the logic is flawed.

McNeese beats ASU by a FG (yeah I know about the safety at the end) but McNeese is too low and ASU is too high, unless you're talking about 1 spot you can't have it both ways.

I'd also agree that SDSU is too low.

Dane96
18. South Dakota St. 983

Underrated.

Had them at 15...and had Samford in at #24.

I am not impressed with Montana...have them at 13...and I have McNeese at #8, above #10 Appy.

I may get called a homer on this, but I have UMASS at 12. Forgetting the pasting they put on the Danes (why this may seem homerish), they SHOULD have won at Kansas State.

From what I saw this weekend...they are unreal on defense...and Nelson is Nelson. But the QB has some serious potential if the receivers can hang onto the ball.

URMite

or this year maybe 9/27?

Appinator
Anyone outside of the Pioneer? xconfusedx

By Chuck Burton, The CSN Way Columnist

Samford, playing in a classic trap game, face off against running back Rudell Small and the Jacksonville Dolphins. After a near-upset of FBS Central Florida in a 28-24 defeat, they’ll be knocked back by the Dolphins out of the box and won’t recover. San Diego, featuring quarterback Sebastian Trujilo, will find their offensive groove against the Bears - and send a notice to the rest of FCS that they won’t go quietly into the night. It will also tell FCS that they want - and need - an autobid.

“We Ain’t UCF” 38, “Bulldogs’ 0-Fer-Florida” 35
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/09/10/the-csn-way-what-s-in-a-name?blog=5

WMTribe90
September 14th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I don't have the time to research it hen, but I imagine there is room for one or two upsets that would still allow for six 8-win teams. Regardless, you implied it was impossible, I'm just saying its improbable, but certainly not impossible. Stranger things have happened. Obviously, it will all take care of itself.

Hence the "no" reply from me. I don't see the Hens blanking on JMU, Nova, W&M and UMass, but that could be wishful thinking.

URMite
September 14th, 2009, 12:44 PM

6? I was thinking we should all just go independent and stop scheduling each or all together so we could get 8...xlolx

MSU_77
September 14th, 2009, 12:46 PM
10. Appalachian St. 1727
11. McNeese St. 1652

Polls in FCS mean little until it is time to seed for the playoffs. Cowboys still have a lot to prove before being listed in the top 10. I still think App has a great team and deserves to stay in the top 10 until proven otherwise.

It WAS a nice win, though! xsmiley_wix

UNHFootballAlum
September 14th, 2009, 12:48 PM
That is why UNH is 6th. So i guess beating an FBS team that was 12-2 last year makes UNH suspect

WMTribe90
September 14th, 2009, 12:49 PM
UMass, Furman, Samford and SDSU too low.

Montana, SIU, Maine too high.

WMTribe90
September 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM
That is why UNH is 6th. So i guess beating an FBS team that was 12-2 last year makes UNH suspect

Sorry, but you didn't beat the 12-2 BSU team from last year. You beat a mediocre MAC team this year. Still impressive, but let's be homest about it. I think UNH may be a tad high at 6, but certainyl belongs in the top10. I believe I had them at about 8.

UNHFootballAlum
September 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM
and the fact that 4 of those 5 have beaten FBS teams

danefan
September 14th, 2009, 12:52 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/09/10/the-csn-way-what-s-in-a-name?blog=5

Sorry - no matter what Chuck Burton says - unless Jacksonville improved leaps and bounds over last year - they shouldn't be considered a "strong" opponent.

Decent - but not strong. Certainly not a team that any other team should hang their hats on. xpeacex

appirishmen
September 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM
i think App might be too high. with how our d played.... our offense is the only thing that kept us in the game. if we lose the next game....we should fall outta the top 25 and it will be a sad year. elon should not be ranked any higher until they play someone. they are too high

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Chuck Burton
He also had San Diego > UNC. It's clear he was going out a limb for the Pioneer. He won't make that mistake again.

Woof
September 14th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Too High: Elon- unproven

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 12:59 PM
UMass, Furman, Samford... too low.
Not much of a resume for any of those. Furman is an interesting case. They played Presby and the last place SoCon team from last year, have Missouri this week, then have the next to last place SoCon team from last year. They could be 3-1 and we'd still have no idea what we're dealing with. October 3 Elon @ Furman is when we find out. xpeacex

WrenFGun
September 14th, 2009, 01:01 PM

The least impressive team in the Top 10 for the CAA is the one who DIDN'T beat the FCS team they played, IMO.

127 yards of offense allowed by UNH's defense against an FBS team...unimpressive...I don't know if that really makes sense.

The offense has been underwhelming, though.

Appinator
September 14th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Sorry - no matter what Chuck Burton says - unless Jacksonville improved leaps and bounds over last year - they shouldn't be considered a "strong" opponent.

Decent - but not strong. Certainly not a team that any other team should hang their hats on. xpeacex

He also had San Diego > UNC. It's clear he was going out a limb for the Pioneer. He won't make that mistake again.

You can only go so far with only reading material, just stating it as I understood it......

I think I read somewhere that our defense was supposed to be good this year too....xoopsx

Plus I still think Samford will have a stronger than expected year and deserves to be ranked......Ah, what's the use, why am I sticking up for these guys anyways?

UNHFootballAlum
September 14th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Sorry, but you didn't beat the 12-2 BSU team from last year. You beat a mediocre MAC team this year. Still impressive, but let's be homest about it. I think UNH may be a tad high at 6, but certainyl belongs in the top10. I believe I had them at about 8.

What are you basing your opinion that UNH is high at #6 and who would you put in that spot?

WrenFGun
September 14th, 2009, 01:06 PM
SD State is way, way too low. I had 5 CAA and 3 MVFC teams in the top 10, along with Montana and, Elon, I believe.

WMTribe90
September 14th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Not much of a resume for any of those. Furman is an interesting case. They played Presby and the last place SoCon team from last year, have Missouri this week, then have the next to last place SoCon team from last year. They could be 3-1 and we'd still have no idea what we're dealing with. October 3 Elon @ Furman is when we find out.

It's all relative Hen. Nobaody's played more than two games, so all resumes are somewhat thin at this point.

UMass - almost beat a Big 12 team and then dominated a very respectable Albamy squad

Furman - haven't played a tough opponent, but won how you would expect a quality team to dominate against a lesser foe.

Samford - See Furman.

ElonPride
September 14th, 2009, 01:13 PM
My only change would be to flip 8. 9. 10. and 11.

8. McNeese State
9. Appalachian State
10. Elon
11. Southern Illinois

An 0-2 should NOT be ranked #9, much less in the top 10.

asknoquarter21
September 14th, 2009, 01:15 PM
What are you basing your opinion that UNH is high at #6 and who would you put in that spot?

McNeese is one of the only teams that has done something at this point

PantherRob82
September 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Including almost losing to a D-II. xpeacex

UNHFootballAlum
September 14th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Including almost losing to a D-II. xpeacex

AMEN!

EVSpanther
September 14th, 2009, 01:20 PM
In regards to 89HEN's statement that SDSU is underrated...I agree! the rabbits will get to the playoffs this year, maybe even make some noise.

UNHWildCats
September 14th, 2009, 01:22 PM
1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 16 ,19, 20.....

...good lord

MD game got me pretty pumped, but CAA schedule is going to be brutal.
I had Rhode Island at the tail end of my poll. Maybe they will gte a lot of love next week aftr beating UMass.

WMTribe90
September 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM

I didn't print out my poll, but after looking again I think I had UNH at 7. I thought JMU's showing at UMD was pretty impressive, even in defeat. I think UNH's win over BSU is the least impressive of the FBS wins to date and while St. Francis looks to be improved, a ten point win in the opener still does nothing for me. At any rate, we're arguing over one spot in an ealry season poll at this point.

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 01:28 PM
It's all relative Hen. Nobaody's played more than two games, so all resumes are somewhat thin at this point.
Agreed, but some have better resumes even in two game then somebody like Furman will have in four. Not their fault, but I think it's early to say somebody is underrated when they are 2-0 with cushy opponents. I said SDSU was underrated, but GSU > what Samford or Furman has played.

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I had Rhode Island at the tail end of my poll.
Did you rank the top 50?

UNHWildCats
September 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I had McNeese 5th.

89Hen
I had Rhode Island at the tail end of my poll.
Did you rank the top 50?

And you should be glad I'm not AGSPoll. xsmiley_wix

RabidRabbit
SIU has a schedule, with a D-2, and an FBS loss in the bank where their fortunes will lie with how they do in the MVFC. The Salukis play both UNI and SDSU away from Carbondale. SIU, IIRC, is the UNI homecoming game. And it's a mid Nov. date in Brookings for the last SDSU home game. Will the ill winds of Nov. be there like they were for the IL St. game last year?

SDSU has all their top 3 MVFC opponents in Brookings, and Cal Poly & MN Gophs left. I'd say that a 3-2 on these five games, and no MVFC road losses get the Jacks at least an at-large.

IMHO, the Hobo Day game (UNI @ SDSU) will be even more the MVFC AQ game than UNI/SIU.

WrenFGun
September 14th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I had McNeese 8th, I believe. SIU and SDSU were 9 and 10.

UNHWildCats
September 14th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Did you rank the top 50?

Why? Is it absurd to rank a team that is 1-0? Considering some of the teams that have been ranked in the past putting URI in at say 24th or 25th is sane.

Of course, the other team at the tail end of my poll could probably give you a better argument...

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Why? Is it absurd to rank a team that is 1-0?
Alabama State 3-0
Alabama A&M 2-0
Butler 2-0
Drake 2-0
Gardner-Webb 2-0
Old Dominion 2-0
NCA&T 2-0
Southestern Louisiana 2-0
Tennessee Tech 1-0
VMI 1-0

UNHWildCats
September 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Alabama State 3-0
Alabama A&M 2-0
Butler 2-0
Drake 2-0
Gardner-Webb 2-0
Old Dominion 2-0
NCA&T 2-0
Southestern Louisiana 2-0
Tennessee Tech 1-0
VMI 1-0
lol more people voted for them then URI

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 01:54 PM
lol more people voted for them then URI
Twice as many wins.

UNCBears2010
September 14th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Did you rank the top 50?

I don't think it's a big deal. I had a hard time finding someone to put at #25, so a wild card, homer-ish type team there this week is fine, IMO.

McNeese72
September 14th, 2009, 02:03 PM
10. Appalachian St. 1727
11. McNeese St. 1652

Hey,

Most of us, McNeese fans, remember the egg we almost laid against Henderson St. to get too caught up where we are in the polls right now. I really don't think we have earned being very high just yet.

We are just worried about this week's game. Not to hijack this string but does anybody know of a Savannah St. messageboard or do any Savannah St. online fans exist? Need to know because I got some sandbags to lay (and hopefully arrange to get a Savannah St. hat for my hat wall).

Doc

PantherRob82
September 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I had McNeese 5th.

Why?

Dukie95
September 14th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I don't have the time to research it hen, but I imagine there is room for one or two upsets that would still allow for six 8-win teams. Regardless, you implied it was impossible, I'm just saying its improbable, but certainly not impossible. Stranger things have happened. Obviously, it will all take care of itself.

I didn't have the time either, but I did it anyway...

Because of the number of FBS wins among FCS teams (and UD/Navy still to go) and if you assume each of those 7 teams wins all games outside the group, I've actually developed a scenario that gets 7 CAA teams to 8 wins, so it's certainly possible.

It's actually pretty easy. UNH can actually get to 8 wins without beating the others in that group of 7. So, if you assume they do lose those games, that's more wins for the others. You can't do that with UMass because they lost their I-A game, so give them one W out of the 7 from the south.

Delaware can even get an extra win to reach 8 D-I wins, and only loses to Nova for the remainder of the year.

My model may have some pretty unlikely events, but you can swap several of them around and still get there. These are presented in schedule order to make it easy to change any outcomes.

* = Win
# = Loss

Delaware JMU Umass UNH Richmond WM Nova
----------- -------- ---------- --------- -------- -------- ------
WestChester* KSU# St. Fran* Duke* Virginia* Temple*
Richmond# Maryland# Albany* Ball St.* Delaware* CCst* Lehigh*
DSU* VMI* URI* Hofstra* NSU* Penn*
W&M* Liberty* StonyBrook* Dartmouth* VMI* Delaware# NU*
Maine* Hofstra* Towson* Nova* WM#
Umass* Richmond* Delaware# Nova# JMU# NU* UNH*
Towson* Nova* UNH* Umass# Maine* JMU#
W&M* Richmond# Hofstra* Umass* JMU# URI*
JMU* Delaware# Maine* NU* Towson* URI*
Hofstra* Maine* NU* URI* Nova* Towson* Richmond#
Navy* Umass# JMU* WM# Georgetown* UNH* Towson*
Nova# Towson* Hofstra* Maine* WM# Richmond* Delaware*

Wins Wins Wins Wins Wins Wins Wins
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
9 8 8 8 9 9 8

Please note: Those aren't predictions, just one possible way to get 7 CAA teams to 8 wins.

SU DOG
September 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM
You can only go so far with only reading material, just stating it as I understood it......

I think I read somewhere that our defense was supposed to be good this year too....xoopsx

Plus I still think Samford will have a stronger than expected year and deserves to be ranked......Ah, what's the use, why am I sticking up for these guys anyways?

I don't know why you are sticking up for us, but I appreciate it. To be honest, we don't really know just how we stack up. After all, this would be new territory for the Dogs. Actually it is HARD for me to say this, BUT the most underrated team in this poll has an 0-2 record. That is JSU. It is true that they cannot make the playoffs, BUT having seen them in action, much of the top 25 would not even be competitive with this bunch IMO. That still doesn't mean that I like them. xlolx

UNI Pike
September 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I had Rhode Island at the tail end of my poll. Maybe they will gte a lot of love next week aftr beating UMass.

"Love" in Rhode Island is illegal outdoors. Needs to be indoors...

danefan
September 14th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Because of the number of FBS wins among FCS teams (and UD/Navy still to go) and if you assume each of those 7 teams wins all games outside the group, I've actually developed a scenario that gets 7 CAA teams to 8 wins, so it's certainly possible.

It's actually pretty easy. UNH can actually get to 8 wins without beating the others in that group of 7. So, if you assume they do lose those games, that's more wins for the others. You can't do that with UMass because they lost their I-A game, so give them one W out of the 7 from the south.

Delaware can even get an extra win to reach 8 D-I wins, and only loses to Nova for the remainder of the year.

My model may have some pretty unlikely events, but you can swap several of them around and still get there. These are presented in schedule order to make it easy to change any outcomes.

* = Win
# = Loss

9 8 8 8 9 9 8

Please note: Those aren't predictions, just one possible way to get 7 CAA teams to 8 wins.

Holy crap - thats not all that unlikely. The CAA would get at least 5 in and maybe 6! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
September 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Holy crap - thats not all that unlikely. The CAA would get at least 5 in and maybe 6! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Incredible - I just became a Towson fan! For the first time ever! xlolx

purplepeopleeaterv2
September 14th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Incredible - I just became a Towson fan! For the first time ever! xlolx

Better be careful.....you've seen what its done to Andy.:D

WMTribe90
September 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM

* = Win
# = Loss

Thanks Dukie, confirms what I thought, given the FBS wins, six teams with 8 Di wins is not out of the realm of possibilities.

drpnut
September 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I had McNeese at 8 and Appy at 11

SDSU at 15

I had Weber at 16

This was a tough poll to cast, not a lot of ways to move folks.xconfusedx

BisonBacker
September 14th, 2009, 04:24 PM
18. South Dakota St. 983

Underrated.

I have them at #12

UMass922
September 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM
UMass - almost beat a Big 12 team and then dominated a very respectable Albamy squad

To keep things in perspective, that same Big 12 team lost to UL-Lafayette on Saturday. Also, UMass did not play K-State as closely as the 21-17 score suggests. K-State had nearly double the yards (407-212) for the game and led 21-3 at halftime; UMass's two second-half TDs came on a blocked punt and on a very short field after a turnover. While it was certainly exciting that UMass came back in the second half and had a shot to win at the end, it's not like they were going up and down the field with K-State all afternoon or anything. Personally I didn't take too much away from that game.

ngineer
September 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM

I tend to agree with you. The preseason and preliminary week polls are base mostly on reputation, tradition and the usual bias, enhanced by the garbage the SIDs diseminate....but, without them, what would we have to drink beer over?:D

smallcollegefbfan
September 14th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
9/14/2009

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points
1. Richmond (82) 2828
2. Villanova (18) 2705
3. Northern Iowa (14) 2600
4. Montana (1) 2379
5. William & Mary 2290
6. New Hampshire 2169
7. James Madison 1977
8. Southern Illinois 1920
9. Elon 1900
10. Appalachian State 1727
11. McNeese State 1652
12. Cal Poly 1544
13. Weber State 1400
14. Wofford 1320
15. Central Arkansas 1242
16. Massachusetts 1087
17. South Carolina State 1034
19. Maine 728
20. Delaware 627
21. Furman 593
22. Texas State 454
23. Eastern Washington 451
24. Eastern Kentucky 290
25. Liberty 275

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Holy Cross (71), Jacksonville State (47), Samford (35), Harvard (32), Eastern Illinois (19), Colgate (13), Florida A&M (13), Grambling State (11), Hofstra (11), Gardner-Webb (6), Georgia Southern (5).

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: McNeese State
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Appalachian State

Very good poll. Other than having SC State a little low and McNeese behind ASU I don't really have any problems with it.

BDKJMU
September 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM

I've said it countless times preseason polls are retarded and polls in Sept are pretty ridiculous.

ThreadStopper
September 14th, 2009, 05:11 PM

It is possible, but it sort takes the shine off that league championship banner. ;)

WMTribe90
September 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM
To keep things in perspective, that same Big 12 team lost to UL-Lafayette on Saturday.

Ouch, missed that score, that does change my opinion somewhat. I knew KSU was below average in the Big 12, didn't know things were that bad though.

Houndawg
September 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM
UMass, Furman, Samford and SDSU too low.

Montana, SIU, Maine too high.

Too soon to tell for SIU. They didn't look bad against Marshall, held them to 76 yards rushing.

BDKJMU
September 14th, 2009, 05:26 PM
With four IA victories its possible four squads could goundefeated OOC. This opens up the mathmatical possibility of six teams finishing at 8-3 or better. Most "likely" scenario would be UR, JMU, VU, WM, UMass and UNH. This would assume none of the six loses any conference games to anybody outside the six. Probable no, possible yes. If it did happen, one of the six would likely be excluded.

In that HIGHLY unlikely scenario it would come down to those that were 8-3. If it was 2-3 8-3 teams, Then it would come down to head to head. If UD was one of them, they'd likely be the odd man out with only 7 div I wins.

This same thing came up last season when some were playing 11 games (UNH, Nova, JMU) and the majority had 12, and in Sept-Oct people were saying there could be 5-6 CAA teams being at least 8 Div I wins/no more than 3 losses, and by the end you only had 4, and Maine ended up getting in with 4 losses.

These things have a way of working themselves out. I'd be willing to wager serious $ that no more than 5 CAA teams have 8-Division ONE wins.

BDKJMU
September 14th, 2009, 05:35 PM
In regards to 89HEN's statement that SDSU is underrated...I agree! the rabbits will get to the playoffs this year, maybe even make some noise.

They're the closest geographically non Big Sky potential playoff team to Missoula. If Montana is seeded, thats where SDSU would be in the 1st round. Heck, likely where they'd be if Montana wasn't seeded...

FargoBison
September 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I'll say it, I voted Montana third, I will not drop a team for winning on the road. Good teams find a way to win games and Montana did that. That said, SDSU belongs in the top 15. Move them up and swap App St and McNeese and I am fine with this poll.

AlphaSigMD
September 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Surprised to see App State in the top 10. I had them 11th. There must be a lot of people out there that are a lot more homer-ish than me.

I had McNeese 8th.

JDC325
September 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM
My apologies to Weber I think I totally dropped the ball....xnonono2x

Beyond a shadow of a doubt the CAA is standing alone atop the FCS this year.

GSU did not deserve any votes after that whooping either had to be some sympathetic SDSU fans voting for us.

Rabbit3467
September 15th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I just have to say that I like SDSU being rated low. It was our first game of the year. It did go much better than expected but we still have one of the hardest schedules in the nation (which seems to be common for us). Its a long year and we still have a lot to prove at this level. Keep us low and give us something to work for is what I say. If things go good in the next five games then move us up. Its a long season.

GaSouthern
September 15th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Georgia Southern does not deserve to recieve ANY votes!

WMTribe90
September 15th, 2009, 10:40 AM
In that HIGHLY unlikely scenario it would come down to those that were 8-3. If it was 2-3 8-3 teams, Then it would come down to head to head. If UD was one of them, they'd likely be the odd man out with only 7 div I wins.

This same thing came up last season when some were playing 11 games (UNH, Nova, JMU) and the majority had 12, and in Sept-Oct people were saying there could be 5-6 CAA teams being at least 8 Div I wins/no more than 3 losses, and by the end you only had 4, and Maine ended up getting in with 4 losses.

These things have a way of working themselves out. I'd be willing to wager serious $ that no more than 5 CAA teams have 8-Division ONE wins.

If you look at Dukie's well researched post, it is not that unlikely at all. Winning four FBS games (with UD/Navy pending) has changed things significantly. A lot more paths to 8 wins than in past seasons when most teams are started out 0-1.

I agree UD and Maine have potentially hurt themsleves with the DII games. Head to head could be the deciding factor, but isn't an absolute (overall resume can trump head to head). FBS wins could also be used to separate teams. These things will work themselves out. I caught some grief for suggesting an 8-3 team could be left out from the CAA, but clearly this is a real possibility due to the FBS wins.

ccd494
September 15th, 2009, 11:35 AM

* = Win
# = Loss

9 8 8 8 9 9 8

Just to throw this out there, if you had Maine beat Richmond and UNH, and UNH beat William and Mary, wouldn't we have 8 CAA teams with 8 D-I wins?

JohnStOnge
September 15th, 2009, 12:42 PM
McNeese has had one good game and one bad game. To may you have to look at all performances. I hope McNeese turns out to be really good this year but it remains to be seen. As far as App State being ranked higher; I'd probably vote them that way too. There are numerous instances in which teams that end up rated lower beat teams that end up rated higher. Only two games have been played.

Dukie95
September 15th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Just to throw this out there, if you had Maine beat Richmond and UNH, and UNH beat William and Mary, wouldn't we have 8 CAA teams with 8 D-I wins?

Yes, but you'd have to assume Maine would beat Syracuse (just as I did for UD and Navy), but it works.

As you add those teams, you lose wiggle room and this obviously becomes more and more unlikely.

HOWEVER, the mere fact that it's even possible to have 8 teams with 8 wins would make it even more likely that the CAA comes out with at least 5 teams with 8 wins.

This is really looking like another 5-team year for the CAA.

I have this chart saved in a spreadsheet and I'll update it as the weeks go on. If you can no longer reach 8 D-I wins I'll pull you out. All of those teams should have no problem this weekend, so it's not likely to change real soon.

Dukie95
September 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Actually, I take that back. Adding maine doesn't work. Either Maine or UMass would only have 7 wins. It doesn't seem to be possible to get 8 teams with 8 wins....if either JMU or UMass had one their D-I games, we would.

ccd494
September 15th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Actually, I take that back. Adding maine doesn't work. Either Maine or UMass would only have 7 wins. It doesn't seem to be possible to get 8 teams with 8 wins....if either JMU or UMass had one their D-I games, we would.

I think the real fault lies with that St. Cloud State game Maine had. I overlooked it as a non D-I game.

BisonBacker
September 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
My apologies to Weber I think I totally dropped the ball....xnonono2x

Beyond a shadow of a doubt the CAA is standing alone atop the FCS this year.

GSU did not deserve any votes after that whooping either had to be some sympathetic SDSU fans voting for us.

Don't feel bad I did the same thing. It will be corrected in my next contribution next week.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 15th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I also want to mention if Towson - my new almost-favorite team - wins A GAME this year, the number of CAA teams that can get to 8 wins drops. Two or three and it drops like a rock.

89Hen
September 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I also want to mention if Towson - my new almost-favorite team - wins A GAME this year, the number of CAA teams that can get to 8 wins drops. Two or three and it drops like a rock.
That would make your day, wouldn't it? Sorry you're going to have to suffer through another few months of CAA stuff.

B&G
September 20th, 2009, 10:03 AM
1. Richmond (82) 2828 47-0 vs Hofstra
2. Villanova (18) 2705 14-3 vs Penn
3. Northern Iowa (14) 2600 30-0 vs St. Francis
4. Montana (1) 2379 49-17 vs Portland St
5. William & Mary 2290 27-15 vs Norfolk St
6. New Hampshire 2169 BYE
7. James Madison 1977 44-16 vs VMI
8. Southern Illinois 1920 59-7 vs Southwest Baptist
9. Elon 1900 lost 7-35 vs Wake Forest
10. Appalachian State 1727 BYE