PDA

View Full Version : Jackrabbits doing well against historic powers

89rabbit
September 14th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Nice write up today in the Argus Leader. SDSU is building something here on the high plains:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20090914/SPORTS0202/909140327/1002/sports

SDSU faring well against traditional powers
Jacks have beaten Youngstown St., Ga. Southern in past year

Terry Vandrovec • [email protected] • September 14, 2009

BROOKINGS - Even elite programs have down years.

Still, the fact remains that South Dakota State has beaten - nay, clobbered - the two teams that own more Football Championship Subdivision championships than anybody else in a span of one year and one week.

Last September, the Jackrabbits trounced Youngstown State - winner of four national titles - 40-7 in Brookings. On Saturday night, No. 21-ranked SDSU beat six-time champ Georgia Southern 44-6 in its season opener before a crowd of 12,354 at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

While beating former champs is a far cry from being champs, lopsided victories over traditional national powers can only help the confidence and reputation of a squad that is just six years removed from competing at the NCAA Division II level. . . . (read more)

siuham
September 14th, 2009, 10:54 AM
This guy's "a down year" is a bit of a stretch. Youngstown and GSU have been having down years for a few years now.

Clutch reporting there.

edit: not demeaning SDSU's win over GSU, that's a good win, but more making fun of the article.

Eaglesrus
September 14th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Okay, go ahead and rub it in, we deserve it. At this point I'm just hoping that y'all are really, really good, instead of us being as bad as we looked Saturday night; however, I think it's actually a combination of both.

JDC325
September 14th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Historic being the key word....xsmhx

I thought there was not a level below rock bottom.

FCS fans take head to the GSU story. If it aint broke dont fix it.

RabidRabbit
September 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM

If you are qualifying for the play-off each year, the fact that you don't win the championship each year mean that "it's time to get a new coach"

That lesson?

Waco Kid
September 14th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Nice win this weekend guys. Love the Mascot!

LakesBison
September 14th, 2009, 02:41 PM
can we move all sdsu threads to smack? thanks in advance.

RabidRabbit
September 14th, 2009, 03:06 PM
xoopsxxoopsx

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx :p:p

Thumper 76
September 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolx

just because you can't keep watch over the useless drivel that you type doesn't mean that WE should change what we're doing xrolleyesx xnonox

JDC325
September 14th, 2009, 06:13 PM
If you are qualifying for the play-off each year, the fact that you don't win the championship each year mean that "it's time to get a new coach"

That lesson?

Pretty much...dont get spoiled....or atleast spoiled rotten. Having high expectations is OK but we went way to far and by we I mostly mean our idiot AD.

Native
September 14th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Congrats for the win over Georgia Southern! Well done!

What's next? Any predictions?

JackJD
September 14th, 2009, 07:10 PM
We're taking it one game at a time. This weekend it's Indiana State, a team that's struggling mightily but we all know struggles end at some point...the Jackrabbits will be prepared so that the ISU struggles last at least one more weekend.

ValleyChamp
September 14th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I heard a rumor that Indiana State has been pretending to be terrible for the last several years just as a front to trick the Rabbits for this very game, and win. Better watch out.

LakesBison
September 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM
ndsu's historic fanbase will bring 8000+ to coughlin and get this rivalry back to where it was for the prior 55 years to last 2 years.

JacksFan06
September 14th, 2009, 10:54 PM
ndsu's historic fanbase will bring 8000+ to coughlin and get this rivalry back to where it was for the prior 55 years to last 2 years.

Lakes, do everyone else a favor and take your attempts to stir the pot elsewhere. Jacks fans and FCS fans have realized it's just best to ignore your feeble attempts. xnonono2x

JBB
September 14th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I havent even read the thread yet I feel the need to chime in. One historic power they have had a problem with, until recent years, is NDSU. Thats good for them and a source of pride. They might even brag? Who knows? The main thing is the next game and Im just glad its on the road. Its a chance for the NDSU BISON to show they are a good road team. Thanks for that SDSU, and good luck to you. xcoolx

mango43
September 15th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I havent even read the thread yet I feel the need to chime in. One historic power they have had a problem with, until recent years, is NDSU. Thats good for them and a source of pride. They might even brag? Who knows? The main thing is the next game and Im just glad its on the road. Its a chance for the NDSU BISON to show they are a good road team. Thanks for that SDSU, and good luck to you. xcoolx

Absolutely nothing was mentioned about the Bison in the story. The traditional powers TV was talking about was Georgia Southern and Youngstown State. Teams that have actually done something in D-I xreadx

Rabbit3467
September 15th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Are JBB and Lakesbison the same person? Lets just let the rivalry rest until the week before we play. It would be sweet to see NDSU coming into brookings with nothing to lose, like the jacks two years ago. Here's to another great game for all the normal, non-ahole bison fans.xpeacex

89rabbit
September 15th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Are JBB and Lakesbison the same person? Lets just let the rivalry rest until the week before we play. It would be sweet to see NDSU coming into brookings with nothing to lose, like the jacks two years ago. Here's to another great game for all the normal, non-ahole bison fans.xpeacex

Huh? xeyebrowx

Two years ago the Dakota Marker game was for the Conference Championship and we won. There was a ton on the line.

Houndawg
September 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Great win for the Jacks, I think the MVC is definetly up from last season.

Gil Dobie
September 15th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Absolutely nothing was mentioned about the Bison in the story. The traditional powers TV was talking about was Georgia Southern and Youngstown State. Teams that have actually done something in D-I xreadx

NDSU had 3 championships at this level prior to I-AA and FCS xrulesx

Gil Dobie
September 15th, 2009, 08:26 AM

I miss the days of the veer at NDSU :(

RabidRabbit
September 15th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I miss the days of the veer at NDSU :(

:pumpuke::pumpuke:

Man - I don't! xmadx Veer Right/Veer Left. Jacks got trampled a lot by those veer teams. xnodxxnodx

I'm liking the NEW Bison/Jacks "tradition" xsmiley_wix Dakota Marker south of the border! :p

Gil Dobie
September 15th, 2009, 12:38 PM
:pumpuke::pumpuke:

Man - I don't! xmadx Veer Right/Veer Left. Jacks got trampled a lot by those veer teams. xnodxxnodx

I'm liking the NEW Bison/Jacks "tradition" xsmiley_wix Dakota Marker south of the border! :p

Exactly what I'm talking about xoopsx