UMass 31 - URI 13
Maine 35 - Albany 10
JMU 49 - VMI 6
William & Mary 38 - Norfolk State 10
Coastal Carolina 24 - Towson 17
Villanova 38 - Penn 17

Dukie95
September 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I could look it up, but it would be helpful to others, because IMO, the home team wins this game.

Where is NU/YSU?

Dignan
September 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Villanova 38 - Penn 17

I'd be surprised if the Villanova-Penn game is that "close."

bluehenbillk
September 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Delaware 42 - Delaware State 7
Northeastern 24 - Youngstown State 17
Richmond 31 - Hofstra 17
UMass 31 - URI 13
Maine 35 - Albany 10
JMU 49 - VMI 6
Villanova 38 - Penn 17

Only winner I'd differ with is the YSU/NU game, the Huskies looked bad in their 1st 2.

Otherwise looks pretty good, don't think Maine will score 35 but can't argue with much else.

Pitz
September 14th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Delaware 45, Delaware State 0
YSU 28, Northeastern 24
Old Dominion 33, Jacksonville 28
UMASS 34, Rhode Island 17
Richmond 41, Hofstra 14
Maine 21, Albany 17
JMU 56, VMI 7
W&M 42, Norfolk State 10
Villanova 35, Penn 13
Towson 31, Coastal Carolina 21

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Only winner I'd differ with is the YSU/NU game, the Huskies looked bad in their 1st 2.
That was the toughest one to pick IMO. I just don't know what to expect from YSU this year. They seemed to have a pretty balanced game against AP, but it was AP. If the game were in Youngstown, I'd have given the Penguins the clear advantage, but as odd as it is, NU seems to have a home field advantage for all the wrong reasons.

JMU Newbill
September 14th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Delaware 52 - Delaware State 14
Northeastern 10 - Youngstown State 24
Richmond 27 - Hofstra 10
UMass 38 - URI 21
Maine 31 - Albany 13
JMU 49 - VMI 14
William & Mary 42 - Norfolk State 3
Villanova 45 - Penn 24

Cobblestone
September 14th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I could look it up, but it would be helpful to others, because IMO, the home team wins this game.

Where is NU/YSU?

Northeastern.

93henfan
September 14th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Delaware 45 - Delaware State 10
Youngstown State 20 - Northeastern 17
Richmond 28 - Hofstra 14
UMass 33 - URI 20
Maine 27 - Albany 20
JMU 42 - VMI 10
William & Mary 35 - Norfolk State 14
Towson 23 - Coastal Carolina 20 (OT)
Villanova 27 - Penn 7

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM
It's often even closer than that when it shouldn't be. Last year 20-14 with a very lopsided match-up on paper. 4 of the last 5 games were one score. I would have put it a larger margin if it weren't for the history. xpeacex

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 11:14 AM
BTW, I really wanted to put a '0' in there for DelSt.

93henfan
September 14th, 2009, 11:49 AM

I'm thinking a garbage time TD like last time.

jmufan999
September 14th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Delaware 56 - Delaware State 7
Northeastern 6 - Youngstown State 34
Richmond 31 - Hofstra 10
UMass 28 - URI 26 (closer than it should be)
Maine 35 - Albany 20
JMU 52 - VMI 14
William & Mary 56 - Norfolk State 0
Coastal Carolina 24 - Towson 21 (OT)
Villanova 38 - Penn 9

JMU Newbill
September 14th, 2009, 12:43 PM
FYI... from here on out... anyone who posts a predicted JMU score that includes a FG must also post a link to evidence that we have actively searched for and found a new kicker.

WMTribe90
September 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
William & Mary 56 - Norfolk State 0

We're a little banged up on offense right now and the OL still needs some work. Defense might be able to pitch a shut out, but I don't see our offense putting up a number like that.

34-10 WM

GannonFan
September 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Here's my two cents:

Delaware St 0 Delaware 42: Despite the attempts to make this a real rivalry game, the gulf between the teams in terms of talent on the field is as wide as it was back in ’07 when the Hens thumped the Hornets in the first round of the playoffs. Nothing about this game will be any different this time around. UD’s defense is suffocating and the Devlin-led offense will welcome a chance to play against a weak defense after slugging it out with Richmond last week. Most years West Chester would be a 1 to 2 TD favorite over DSU – this year would be no different.

Youngstown St 14 Northeastern 17: Not exactly a matchup of heavyweights here. Neither team has impressed early and I go with the nod for Northeastern basically because the game is in Parsons.

Hofstra 7 Richmond 35: Hofstra has skated past two fairly weak opponents so far in Stony Brook and Bryant, and is 2-0. But all that comes to an end when they face the defending champs in their first home game since winning the title last year. All Richmond has done since then is to beat Duke and survive a scare by UD on a last second FG block. Hofstra will be lucky to score in this one as Richmond will score early and often.

Rhode Island 24 UMass 56: UMass has been the surprise team of the CAA now and the schedule continues to favor them as they start CAA play with the perennial weak sister of the CAA in URI. At times UMass has struggled with URI, but almost always on the road. With this game in Amherst, UMass will make quick work of the Rams. Still hard to tell how good UMass is, and with another weak opponent next week and then a bye, we won’t know until they visit Newark in October.

Maine 31 Albany 24: Maine quieted the doubters a little bit after winning in Parson’s last week following a disaster of an opening weekend win against St Cloud St. Albany, on the other hand, was thoroughly trottled by UMass. Even Albany’s close loss the week before to GSU is now less impressive following the emasculation of GSU last week by SDSU. Maine’s going to often sink to the opponent’s level – that’s just the Cosgrove way – but they should still find a way to hand the Danes loss number three.

William and Mary 35 Norfolk St 10: While this game has a little of a local rivalry feel to it, just like with the DSU/UD game, this one just isn’t an even matchup on the field. W&M could be looking to break back into the playoffs after a half-decade absence, and already have a win over FBS UVA to their credit. Norfolk St played DII Virginia Union (the same one blasted by start-up ODU) close and then lost to a blah NC A&T team. This game’s never in doubt and the Tribe roll.

VMI 14 JMU 56: I’m not sold that JMU is a playoff team yet this year, despite the close loss (and should’ve won) against Maryland. After seeing Maryland get pushed around the week before by Cal, it’s hard to see Maryland as a team that won’t get Friedgen fired this year. But this won’t be the game to find out about JMU – VMI has never played well against the CAA and JMU plays well at home. The Dukes win this one by halftime. We’ll find out about JMU pretty soon, though – 4 of the next 6 are on the road and the two home breathers are against Richmond and nova in consecutive weeks. Even the tilt against an improved Liberty team next week could be a major obstacle.

villanova 28 Penn 10: I certainly think nova is a top 5 team this year, and Penn is far from their glory days. However, nova is more tough and gritty on offense rather than explosive. That’s the only thing that keeps this game from being a blowout. nova’s never threatened in this one as the defense keeps Penn on their heels all night.

Coastal Carolina 14 Towson 13: Uggh, might be parents of players only at this game. The Chanticleers come off a sobering close win over Monmouth, while Towson looks at what could be one of maybe, at the most, 4 wins this season. Coastal thumped hapless Towson in a game of lightweights last year, and look to do the same this year in Baltimore. I think Towson plays with enough pride to make this close, but I have trouble seeing how Towson manages to win.

89Hen
September 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Here's my two cents:

Delaware St 0 Delaware 42: Despite the attempts to make this a real rivalry game, the gulf between the teams in terms of talent on the field is as wide as it was back in ’97 when the Hens thumped the Hornets in the first round of the playoffs.
Time flies! xsmiley_wix

GannonFan
September 15th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Time flies! xsmiley_wix

Eh, darn keyboard with the 0 key right next to the 9 key! Blasted technology!! xlolx

89Hen
September 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Richmond 31 - Hofstra 17
UMass 31 - URI 13
Maine 35 - Albany 10
JMU 49 - VMI 6
Villanova 38 - Penn 17

Delaware St 0 Delaware 42
Youngstown St 14 Northeastern 17
Hofstra 7 Richmond 35
Rhode Island 24 UMass 56
Maine 31 Albany 24
William and Mary 35 Norfolk St 10
VMI 14 JMU 56
villanova 28 Penn 10
Coastal Carolina 14 Towson 13
Maybe we can trade weeks to save time. :p

GannonFan
September 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Maybe we can trade weeks to save time. :p

Amazing considering I didn't read a single other post before I posted mine. Apparently some people know their FCS football landscapes. xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
September 15th, 2009, 04:04 PM
William and Mary 35 Norfolk St 10: While this game has a little of a local rivalry feel to it, just like with the DSU/UD game, this one just isn’t an even matchup on the field. W&M could be looking to break back into the playoffs after a half-decade absence, and already have a win over FBS UVA to their credit. Norfolk St played DII Virginia Union (the same one blasted by start-up ODU) close and then lost to a blah NC A&T team. This game’s never in doubt and the Tribe roll.

Slipping on your homework there, GF. Norfolk State beat Virginia State, not Union, and the game wasn't close.

caribbeanhen
September 15th, 2009, 07:55 PM
[QUOTE=GannonFan;1408042]Here's my two cents:

Delaware St 0 Delaware 42: Most years West Chester would be a 1 to 2 TD favorite over DSU – this year would be no different.

Gannonfan would be a great pitch man for Obamas health care plan -

LacesOut
September 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM
GF and 89 ~

Love is in the aiiirrrrrrrrrrr...............

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 15th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Delaware St 0 Delaware 59: :D Hens take out lots of frustration on neighbors. And, yes, 59 points does indicate 8 TDs and a 3 pointer!

Youngstown St 7 Northeastern 10: ;) Friendly confines of Parsons Field does wonders for the Huskies who entertain a down Penguin 11 who can't believe their eyes when they lay them on their Brookline-based destination.

Hofstra 14 Richmond 27: xpeacex Spidahs too strong at home vs an underrated Hofstra club. Close at the half, but UoR tosses a 2nd half shutout to win going away.

Rhode Island 31 UMass 28: xsmiley_wix Upset special for the month of September. Don't ask me why. It just feels like Rhody is due for something special--and some good luck. UMASS, dare I say it, is somewhat overrated, losing big to K-State everywhere, but on the scoreboard and drubbing a questionable UofA squad.

Maine 24 Albany 27, OT: xrotatehx Upset special #2 this week. Coach Ford wills his team to avoid 0-3 with help from a struggling early season Maine 11.

William and Mary 55 Norfolk St 14: xcoffeex No upset here, unless you consider the MOV to be only 41 points.

VMI 7 JMU 76: xreadx In a battle of 3 letter acronyms, the "J's" hit their jumpers, their foul shots, their hook shots, their 3 pointers, their layups, .....

Villanova 35 Penn 34: xeekx Quakers spring an "almost" surprise ending, but fall just short.

Coastal Carolina 24 Towson 21: xsmhx Close, but no cigar for the Tigers this week or next week or ....

93henfan
September 15th, 2009, 08:05 PM
GF and 89 ~

Love is in the aiiirrrrrrrrrrr...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpWAlvWNZj0

Longhorn
September 15th, 2009, 09:23 PM
VMI 14 JMU 56: I’m not sold that JMU is a playoff team

xblahblahx Stop the presses. GF has doubts about JMU. xcoffeex

BDKJMU
September 15th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Delaware State @ UD by 3-4 TDs. Del State played FAMU, likely one of the top 2 MEAC teams along with SC State, tough, losing 21-12. UD will likely be very focused after losing the UR heartbreaker, and will win comfortably.

YSU @ Northeastern. YSU by 1-2 TDs. YSU is mid pack MVFC. They got pummeled at a decent Big East Pitt 38-3 before beat Austin Peay of the SWAC 38-21. Northeastern and Towson are probably the 2 worst CAA teams. nNortheastern got annihilated @ likely bottom half of the ACC this year BC 54-0 and lost to Maine @ Parsons 17-7. Visiting teams do have a tough time at Parsons since opposing they aren't used to playing in a HS stadium, which will keep this game kind of close.

Hofstra @ UR by 3-4 TDs. At Hofstra the improved Dutchmen might be able to keep it closer, but UR wins comfortably here.

URI @ UMass by 2-3 TDs. URI beat 41-28 Fordham, who was preseason picked the #2 team in the Patriot. Scorewise UMass played K-State tough and blew away 44-7 what was suppose to be a decent Albany team (at least for the NEC). URI is probably a little better than Albany. Maybe if it was at URI the Rams would be able to keep it a little closer.

Maine @ Albany. Maine by 1-2 TDs. Maine hasn't been really impressive after beating DII Cumulus State in OT and Northeastern by a TD at Parsons. Maine definitely won't roll Albany like UMass did in Amherst. It will be similar for Maine @ Albany as it was @ Parsons against Northeastern- not real impressive, but a W.

Norfolk State @ W&M by 3-4 TDs. Norfolk State beat DII VA State 28-10 before losing @ NC A&T 17-13. They sound like a mediocre MEAC team. W&M beat them 40-12 last season, and should win by a similar margin again, despite W&M possibly not bringing their A game and possibly looking past Norfolk State to their big home game with UD. W&M and UD each get comfortable wins over MEAC teams before their big showdown.

VMI @ JMU 49-7. VMI beat a weak NEC Robert Morris 14-13 in week one before having last week off. JMU defense looked better than the 08' defense last week against the Twerps- especially with the tackling, which apparently was heavily stressed during JMU's summer camp. JMU will need to tackle well against VMI's run heavy flexbone. JMU will hold VMI's flexbone in check. VMI won't be able to stop JMU on the ground, or in the air for that matter whenever JMU does decide to throw it. With no TV, all the running in this game, and the new clock rules brought on last year, this game could be over in 2:30+. VMI gets pummeled this week, and then again next week @ UR.

Penn @ Nova by 3-4 TDs. Penn hasn't played a game yet. They did finish 6-4 last season (outside of Nova was a cupcake Ivy/Patriot schedule). Last season Nova dominated Penn in everything but the scoreboard in their 20-14 win. Penn doesn't have near the athletes Nova does, and this time not only will it not be close statistically, but scorewise also.

Coastal Carolina @ Towson. CCU by 2-3 TDs. Towson got pummeled 47-14 by an avg (for the Big Ten) Northwestern on week one before having last week off. CCU lost to Kent State, a bad MAC team , 18-0, before beating now 0-2 Monmouth at home 24-17. Coastal, after upsetting then #1 JMU in 05' in only their 3rd year of football and making the playoffs in 06', finishing 9-2 both regular seasons, has slipped as of late, finishing 5-6 and 6-5 the last 2 seasons. They did beat Towson last season in Conway 31-3. At Towson look for this one to be a little bit closer.

MR. CHICKEN
September 15th, 2009, 10:22 PM
AH'M THINKIN'......DELAWARE/DELAWARE STATE.....WILL BE CLOSERAH...DAN MOST CONSIDERAH....AS DUH HENS....COMIN' OFFAH UH STOMACH CHURNIN' LOSS TA DUH ARACHNIDS....WILL BE AS FLAT AS....PERKINS PANCAKES...AN' DUH HENS WILL REMEMBERAH ...HOW EASY IT WAS.....TA SWAT DUH BEES....IN DUH PLAY-OFFS O' AGO....DEL STATE...IS NOWHERE NEAR DUH SQWAD.....O' AGO....HENCE....ME THINKS....DUH BLUEBIRDS...WILL SLEEPWALK.....THRU DUH FIRST SEMESTERAH....AN' ONLY AFTERAH....AN' EGG-HOLE REAMIN'...FROM COACH K....WILL DEY...AWAKE.......TA PICK-UP...DAT ALL IMPORTANT.......FIRST STATE CUP........IN UH SECOND SEMESTERAH...RALLY........DUH CHICKENS....ARE BANGED UP/BANDAGED/LIMPIN'...LIKE CHESTERAH...O' GUNSMOKE.....(MARCORELLE/SCANLON)...DUH HORNETS..ON DUH OTHERAH HAND......WELL RESTED......TRICK PLAYS...UH PRACTICED.......UD 28....UD ST....17....xrotatehx....BRAWK!!

saint0917
September 16th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Delaware 45 - Delaware State 7
Northeastern 21 - Youngstown State 17
Richmond 31 - Hofstra 20
UMass 35 - URI 17
Maine 35 - Albany 7
JMU 42 - VMI 3
William & Mary 35 - Norfolk State 13
Coastal Carolina 28 - Towson 10
Villanova 38 - Penn 20

Cobblestone
September 16th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Rhode Island 31 UMass 28: xsmiley_wix Upset special for the month of September. Don't ask me why. It just feels like Rhody is due for something special--and some good luck. UMASS, dare I say it, is somewhat overrated, losing big to K-State everywhere, but on the scoreboard and drubbing a questionable UofA squad.

xbowx

We're always good for an upset every year. We seemed to be quite a bit improved this season so, don't be surprised if this comes true.

andy7171
September 16th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Delaware 28 Delaware State 9
YSU 14 Northeastern 10
Old Dominion 13, Jacksonville 24
UMASS 21 Rhode Island 14
Richmond 21 Hofstra 7
Maine 6 Albany 24
JMU 42 VMI 10
W&M 28 Norfolk State 0
Villanova 28 Penn 21
Towson 31 Coastal Carolina 17

Hey GannonFan, look for Towson to come close to an attendance record.

bluehenbillk
September 16th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Andy, whats going on? Lingerie football game at halftime?

HensRock
September 16th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Delaware 31 Delaware State 0 "The Tradition Continues..." (sorry couldn't resist!)
NU 20 YSU 17 Guins disturbed by the tranquility that is Parson's Field
ODU 30, Jacksonville 17 Monarchs much stronger than most give credit for!
URI 27 UMASS 24 I have to pick one upset - this is it
UR 21 HU 10 London will not let the Spiders let down after their scare in Newark
UMaine 19 Albany 13 UA's close opener at GSU lost a lot of shine last week
JMU 42 VMI 10 I'll admit I know nothing about the Keydets
W&M 30 Norfolk State 17 Jimmye keeps the Tribe focused
VU 24 Penn 7 Nova's D just too much for Quakers
TU 24 CCU 21 Home Opener for Tigers' new coach, big crowd will make the difference

andy7171
September 16th, 2009, 09:04 AM

I wish.

Seriously, Ambrose has brought a lot of excitement to the campus, the school is advertising a ton, and the on campus population is jumping up. Is your boy coming down for the game? There is a huge alumni pre-game party.

89Hen
September 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM

I wish.

Seriously, Ambrose has brought a lot of excitement to the campus, the school is advertising a ton, and the on campus population is jumping up. Is your boy coming down for the game? There is a huge alumni pre-game party.
Best of luck with that, but I can't imagine you'd touch the attendance for UD games when the Hens arrive with 5,000 people.

andy7171
September 16th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Best of luck with that, but I can't imagine you'd touch the attendance for UD games when the Hens arrive with 5,000 people.

Yeah, the students will be there, the trick for us is getting them into the stadium. xnonono2x

bluehenbillk
September 16th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I wish.

Don't know if he is, but we're going to the UD-TU game next month.

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Delaware 42 - Delaware State 10 : UD rebounds after a heartbreaker
Northeastern 21 - Youngstown State 20 : The Huskies, well, just because
Richmond 31 - Hofstra 10 : We're too small, too slow to compete with anyone
URI 28 - UMass 27 : URI, i like the Rams and they're probably feeling confident
Albany 24 Maine 21 : Albany regroups and tries to get the playoff train back on track
JMU 35 - VMI 14 : The Keydets just don't have the firepower in this one.
William & Mary 38 - Norfolk State 10 : Tribe rolls
Towson 23 Coastal Carolina 21 : This one is for Andy and the Tigers
Villanova 38 - Penn 20 : This one stays close until Nova pulls away in the third

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Delaware
Youngstown
Richmond
UMass
Maine
W&M
Villanova
JMU
Towson

EmeryZach
September 17th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Delaware 52 - D-State 7
Youngstown State 24 - Northeastern 14
Richmond 35 - Hofstra 21
UMass 28 - URI 13
Maine 24 - Albany 17
JMU 42 - VMI 7
Tribe 66 - Norfolk 3
Coastal 10 - Towson 3
Nova 32 - Penn 10
ODU 17 - Jacksonville 14

kdinva
September 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
JMU 34; VMI 23.........nuttin' wrong with confidence and optimism!:)

WestCoastAggie
September 17th, 2009, 03:52 PM

Why all the hatred towards DSU?

GannonFan
September 17th, 2009, 03:56 PM

I don't think it's hatred - that would imply a real degree of caring. I just think it's absolute disrespect. xthumbsupx

WestCoastAggie
September 17th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I don't think it's hatred - that would imply a real degree of caring. I just think it's absolute disrespect. xthumbsupx

Well since u put it that way, UD 56 DSU 0 :(

My upset: W&M 14 NSU 17 xwhistlex

GannonFan
September 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Well since u put it that way, DU 56 DSU 0 :(

Psst - it's UD - DU is Drexel. xthumbsupx

WestCoastAggie
September 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM
fixed it! Mr. GannonFan

93henfan
September 17th, 2009, 04:29 PM

I thought DU was Dayton. xconfusedx

:p

CAAisBOSS
September 17th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Well since u put it that way, UD 56 DSU 0 :(

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Tribe4SF
September 18th, 2009, 12:59 AM

Yeah, and Virginia State is not Virginia Union.xsmhx

GoBlueHens83
September 18th, 2009, 03:25 AM
A little late but:

Delaware 42 - Delaware State 0
Northeastern 20 - Youngstown State 14
Richmond 31 - Hofstra 10
UMass 35 - URI 24
Maine 24 - Albany 21
JMU 52 - VMI 9
William & Mary 35 - Norfolk State 6
Coastal Carolina 17 - Towson 14
Villanova 28 - Penn 10

I-AA Fan
September 18th, 2009, 08:04 AM

UD is Dayton to me.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 18th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Delaware 35 - Delaware State 10
Youngstown State 28 Northeastern 14
Richmond 31 - Hofstra 14
UMass 30 - URI 13
Maine 20 - Albany 10
JMU 42 - VMI 3
William & Mary 52 - Norfolk State 10
Towson 24 - Coastal Carolina 17
Villanova 38 - Penn 14

89Hen
September 18th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Is it even disrespect? Has nothing to due with them being DSU, has everything to the other time the Hens played them. 44-7 with the 7 coming on a fumbly by the second string QB late in the game. DSU never threatened.

Plus the Hens shut out West Chester and DSU may be worse than WC.

GeeWiz
September 19th, 2009, 05:52 AM
UD 44 Delaware St. 7 - It'll be a while before DSU can compete head-to-head with UD
YSU 24 NU 17 - As much as I want to pick NU, the new NU offense has been pretty offensive the first two games
Richmond 28 HU 10 - Spiders are looking really good right now
UMass 34 URI 24 - This might be one of the most entertaining CAA games but UMass just better at home
UMaine 27 Albany 21 - Great Danes hang tough, but Dirty Cubs hold on
JMU 42 VMI 0 - Dukes roll for an easy win
W&M 41 Norfolk St. 7 - Tribe have a real solid team
Towson 28 Costal Carolina 17 - I think the Tigers are better than last year and avenge their bad loss to the Chanticleers
'Nova 27 Penn 17 - Quakers always seem to keep this one close but Wildcats just too strong for an Ivy

and in the big one ...

Jacksonville 34 ODU 17 - ODU finally tastes a blowout loss, but not by that crazy point spread

JMUNJ08
September 19th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I thouht ODU predictions were going to be added for CAA predictions? Looks like everyone is slipping

UD over Don't Show Up
NU over 'Guins
UR over Hofstra
UMass over URI
Danes over Maine (best game of the week in CAA)
JMU over Keydets
Towson over CC
Nova over PU
J St. over ODU

R.A.
September 19th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Looks like Delaware State can compete head to head with Delaware right now...

th0m
September 19th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Indeed it does. Anybody who saw the game care to comment? Delaware bad or Delaware State good? Or maybe a bit of both.

89Hen
September 19th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Delaware bad or Delaware State good? Or maybe a bit of both.
Hens overrated. Bad second half last week, bad game this week. Next year.

JMUNJ08
September 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Now what I want to know was Hofstra really that bad losing to UR 47-0???

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Delaware 52 - D-State 7
Youngstown State 24 - Northeastern 14
Richmond 35 - Hofstra 21
UMass 28 - URI 13
Maine 24 - Albany 17
JMU 42 - VMI 7
Tribe 66 - Norfolk 3
Coastal 10 - Towson 3
Nova 32 - Penn 10
ODU 17 - Jacksonville 14

Called the ODU upset!!xwhistlex

ccd494
September 19th, 2009, 08:14 PM
It's always good when your team blows its season in the third week.

I can't remember the last time a UMaine athletic season didn't end in embarrassment. We should just go back to D-II.

blur2005
September 19th, 2009, 08:16 PM
It's always good when your team blows its season in the third week.

I can't remember the last time a UMaine athletic season didn't end in embarrassment. We should just go back to D-II.
Maine made the playoffs last year...overreaction, maybe?xrolleyesx

WestCoastAggie
September 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I liked how the lower half of the MEAC fared against two good CAA south teams. The MEAC is making strides in catching UP to the CAA and I am quite excited about FAMU's or SCSU's potential in this year's tourney.
xwhistlex

BTW: Morgan St. will beat Towson, FINALLY. xcoffeex

ccd494
September 19th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Maine made the playoffs last year...overreaction, maybe?xrolleyesx

Other than occasional 8-5 football seasons, I can't recall the last time a Maine athletic team finished above .500.

TheTribeHasSpoken
September 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I liked how the lower half of the MEAC fared against two good CAA south teams. The MEAC is making strides in catching UP to the CAA and I am quite excited about FAMU's or SCSU's potential in this year's tourney.
xwhistlex

BTW: Morgan St. will beat Towson, FINALLY. xcoffeexI was at the W&M/NSU game, and it was not nearly as close as the score indicates. All of NSU's points were in garbage time.

Jackman
September 19th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Other than occasional 8-5 football seasons, I can't recall the last time a Maine athletic team finished above .500.

Didn't the hockey team go to the playoffs 2 or 3 years ago?

blur2005
September 19th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Yeah, the Black Bears often have solid hockey teams. By often, I mean they have won 2 national championships, so yeah, pretty good program.

ccd494
September 19th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah, the Black Bears often have solid hockey teams. By often, I mean they have won 2 national championships, so yeah, pretty good program.

Not anymore.

Maroon&White
September 19th, 2009, 10:28 PM

They didn't win the National Championship 2 or 3 years ago. So it doesn't count.

YoUDeeMan
September 19th, 2009, 11:22 PM
xwhistlex

BTW: Morgan St. will beat Towson, FINALLY. xcoffeex

Faired well? xeyebrowx

Wow, you have low standards.

As mentioned, NSU got murdered by the Tribe...only some garbage time scores made it look respectable...if you call that respectable.

As far as UD/DSU...DSU's offense only scored 10 points...and the last 7 were on a 65 yard drive after the game was locked up. UD, in another display of weird conservative offensive play calling, scored easily when it needed to while DSU barely managed to score. If you call that "fairing well" then go for it. It was an ugly game that was not played well by either team. xoopsx

BDKJMU
September 19th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Delaware State @ UD by 3-4 TDs. Del State played FAMU, likely one of the top 2 MEAC teams along with SC State, tough, losing 21-12. UD will likely be very focused after losing the UR heartbreaker, and will win comfortably.

YSU @ Northeastern. YSU by 1-2 TDs. YSU is mid pack MVFC. They got pummeled at a decent Big East Pitt 38-3 before beat Austin Peay of the SWAC 38-21. Northeastern and Towson are probably the 2 worst CAA teams. nNortheastern got annihilated @ likely bottom half of the ACC this year BC 54-0 and lost to Maine @ Parsons 17-7. Visiting teams do have a tough time at Parsons since opposing they aren't used to playing in a HS stadium, which will keep this game kind of close.

Hofstra @ UR by 3-4 TDs. At Hofstra the improved Dutchmen might be able to keep it closer, but UR wins comfortably here.

URI @ UMass by 2-3 TDs. URI beat 41-28 Fordham, who was preseason picked the #2 team in the Patriot. Scorewise UMass played K-State tough and blew away 44-7 what was suppose to be a decent Albany team (at least for the NEC). URI is probably a little better than Albany. Maybe if it was at URI the Rams would be able to keep it a little closer.

Maine @ Albany. Maine by 1-2 TDs. Maine hasn't been really impressive after beating DII Cumulus State in OT and Northeastern by a TD at Parsons. Maine definitely won't roll Albany like UMass did in Amherst. It will be similar for Maine @ Albany as it was @ Parsons against Northeastern- not real impressive, but a W.

Norfolk State @ W&M by 3-4 TDs. Norfolk State beat DII VA State 28-10 before losing @ NC A&T 17-13. They sound like a mediocre MEAC team. W&M beat them 40-12 last season, and should win by a similar margin again, despite W&M possibly not bringing their A game and possibly looking past Norfolk State to their big home game with UD. W&M and UD each get comfortable wins over MEAC teams before their big showdown.

VMI @ JMU 49-7. VMI beat a weak NEC Robert Morris 14-13 in week one before having last week off. JMU defense looked better than the 08' defense last week against the Twerps- especially with the tackling, which apparently was heavily stressed during JMU's summer camp. JMU will need to tackle well against VMI's run heavy flexbone. JMU will hold VMI's flexbone in check. VMI won't be able to stop JMU on the ground, or in the air for that matter whenever JMU does decide to throw it. With no TV, all the running in this game, and the new clock rules brought on last year, this game could be over in 2:30+. VMI gets pummeled this week, and then again next week @ UR.

Penn @ Nova by 3-4 TDs. Penn hasn't played a game yet. They did finish 6-4 last season (outside of Nova was a cupcake Ivy/Patriot schedule). Last season Nova dominated Penn in everything but the scoreboard in their 20-14 win. Penn doesn't have near the athletes Nova does, and this time not only will it not be close statistically, but scorewise also.

Coastal Carolina @ Towson. CCU by 2-3 TDs. Towson got pummeled 47-14 by an avg (for the Big Ten) Northwestern on week one before having last week off. CCU lost to Kent State, a bad MAC team , 18-0, before beating now 0-2 Monmouth at home 24-17. Coastal, after upsetting then #1 JMU in 05' in only their 3rd year of football and making the playoffs in 06', finishing 9-2 both regular seasons, has slipped as of late, finishing 5-6 and 6-5 the last 2 seasons. They did beat Towson last season in Conway 31-3. At Towson look for this one to be a little bit closer.

UD 27, Del State 17 xeyebrowx (predicted UD by 3-4 TDs)
YSU 38, Northeastern 21 xthumbsupx (predicted YSU by 1-2 TDs)
UR 47, Hofstra 0 xeyebrowx (predicted UR by 3-4 TDs)
UMass 30, URI 10 xthumbsupx (predicted UMass by 2-3 TDs)
Albany 20, Maine 16 xoopsx
W&M 27, Norfolk St 15 xeyebrowx (predicted W&M by 3-4 TDs)
JMU 44, VMI 16 xeyebrowx (predicted 49-7)
Nova 14, Penn 3 xeyebrowx (predicted Nova by 3-4 TDs)
Towson 21, Coastal Carolina 17 xoopsx (Congrats Towson (Andy))!

Week 1: No picks
Week 2: 7-1 (wrong on Ball State/UNH)
Week 3: 7-2

BDKJMU
September 20th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Don't see a VMI @ JMU thread to comment on. Shocker since it was such a huge game and everyone was predicting a nail biter. xrolleyesx

VMI got 178 yard rushing on 52 carries, 3.4 a pop, in their flexbone offense. A little more than I expected. I was thinking JMU would hold them to under 100 rushing at least before the 4th, 100-150 total. Got 110 through the air for for total offense of 288. JMU defense played so-so, didn't really bring their "A" game.

JMU 486 yds offense:

passed for 341 xeekx
Dudzick 9 for 13 for 245, 3 TDs, 0 INTs. 3 rushes for net 0 yard (took a sack).
Thorpe 7 for 11 for 127, 1 TD, ) INTs. 10 carries for 53 yards, TD.
interesting that MM started Thorpe this game. My guess is they'll still rotate against Liberty.

rushed for 145, 2 TDs, on 37 carries, avg of only 3.9 per rush (was 2 sacks for -6, so rushing plays was 35 for 151, 4.3 per carry). VMI was stacking the box with 8-9 guys. VMI front 7 (really front 8) played pretty well against the run. Big positive for JMU was no fumbles (thats no JMU TOs in 2 games). VMI lost 2 fumbles.

When was the last time JMU threw for more than 2x it rush for? I can't remember. MM said he wants JMU to become a passing team.....just kidding. MM was very complimentary about Sparky Woods & VMI. He said they were much better than past VMI teams. He was critical of the JMU o line as far as the run blocking.

Maryland opening kickoff Scotty McGee had 50 yd return.
Maryland next kickoff Kirby Long who had 25 yd return.
After that MD did short kickoffs.

VMI first kickoff McGee had 64 yard return
VMI 2nd kickoff McGee had 48 yard return
VMI's next 2 kickoffs they kicked it short to keep it away from McGee.

McGee on punt returns- 4 for only 25 yds. VMI was punting it pretty high, avg 41 yard per punt & closed on McGee very well.

Both teams missed an extra point (both bad snaps/holds, never even got kick off). JMU's last possession stopped on 4th and goal from the one with less than 2 min left, so kept JMU from getting 50+. MM wasn't trying to run up the score- was just calling running plays between the tackles and were mostly backups in.
http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2009/vmi.htm?SPSID=71032&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400

soccerguy315
September 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM
16 completions for 341 yards?

not a bad average... lol

CAAisBOSS
September 20th, 2009, 03:48 AM
WM was up 21-0 at half... 27-0 with 6 min left.... score a lot closer than the game. stil a lot to work on before deleware comes to town next week though. more offensively... given that the defense only gave up 206 yds of offense

caribbeanhen
September 20th, 2009, 07:15 AM
AH'M THINKIN'......DELAWARE/DELAWARE STATE.....WILL BE CLOSERAH...DAN MOST CONSIDERAH....AS DUH HENS....COMIN' OFFAH UH STOMACH CHURNIN' LOSS TA DUH ARACHNIDS....WILL BE AS FLAT AS....PERKINS PANCAKES...AN' DUH HENS WILL REMEMBERAH ...HOW EASY IT WAS.....TA SWAT DUH BEES....IN DUH PLAY-OFFS O' AGO....DEL STATE...IS NOWHERE NEAR DUH SQWAD.....O' AGO....HENCE....ME THINKS....DUH BLUEBIRDS...WILL SLEEPWALK.....THRU DUH FIRST SEMESTERAH....AN' ONLY AFTERAH....AN' EGG-HOLE REAMIN'...FROM COACH K....WILL DEY...AWAKE.......TA PICK-UP...DAT ALL IMPORTANT.......FIRST STATE CUP........IN UH SECOND SEMESTERAH...RALLY........DUH CHICKENS....ARE BANGED UP/BANDAGED/LIMPIN'...LIKE CHESTERAH...O' GUNSMOKE.....(MARCORELLE/SCANLON)...DUH HORNETS..ON DUH OTHERAH HAND......WELL RESTED......TRICK PLAYS...UH PRACTICED.......UD 28....UD ST....17....xrotatehx....BRAWK!!

Nice call Mr Chicken

caribbeanhen
September 20th, 2009, 07:24 AM

why the love for Northeastern here 89?

caribbeanhen
September 20th, 2009, 07:29 AM
That was the toughest one to pick IMO. I just don't know what to expect from YSU this year. They seemed to have a pretty balanced game against AP, but it was AP. If the game were in Youngstown, I'd have given the Penguins the clear advantage, but as odd as it is, NU seems to have a home field advantage for all the wrong reasons.

I see it now...I was wondering if I was missing something as GF picked NE as well..

guess not, The CAA is really a tale of the very good and the lucky to be average

you have about 5 or 6 teams that are as good as the ACC bad
and the CAA bad are about as good as the best Patriot/MEAC teams, and thats not very good

Uncle Buck
September 20th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I'm voting for Hofstra to drop it's football program or get rid of Dave Cohen. I was excited at the prospect of his arrival four years ago, however, he has shown my nothing in his way to lead as a head coach. Poor gameplanning and an inept offensive coordinator will keep Hofstra from winning a game this year in the CAA.

We have talent, the coaches just don't know how to use it. Cohen should return to being a defensive coordinator, some people just aren't cut out for the big chair.

93henfan
September 20th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Youngstown State 20 - Northeastern 17
Richmond 28 - Hofstra 14
UMass 33 - URI 20
Maine 27 - Albany 20
JMU 42 - VMI 10
William & Mary 35 - Norfolk State 14
Towson 23 - Coastal Carolina 20 (OT)
Villanova 27 - Penn 7

Overshot with Delaware
Undershot with Youngstown
Gave Hofstra too much cred
Pretty dead on with UMass
Dead wrong on Maine
Very close with JMU
Pretty close with W&M
Very close with Towson
Undershot Nova

Week 1: 9-2
Week 2: 6-2
Week 3: 8-1

Dropped from #1 to #3 of 61 in the GoHens spread pool (38-23) and am currently #23 of 44 in the GoHens pick-the-winner pool (53-8).

Philliesfan980
September 20th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I don't see a Villanova vs Penn thread on this message board, so I'll comment on it here.

I was at Franklin Field last night to watch this game. For those of you who haven't been to Franklin Field to see a game, you should try and get there sometime. The stadium is right in on Penn's campus in the middle the city. Great place to watch a game - I would recommend getting a seat in the second deck. Really nice view to watch a game.

As for the game itself, it started out with a bang with Szcur running back the opening kickoff for a TD. Matt isn't the fastest guy in the world, but he has above average speed and has excellent vision and football awareness. The play reminded me of when he returned the opening kickoff against Colgate in last year's first playoff game at Nova.

After that though, it was a pretty even game. Maybe this was Nova's "letdown game", as they won the first week at Philly, and then trashed Lehigh. 3rd game in 3 weeks, and this is just one of those games they had trouble getting up for. Nonetheless, this is a game that great teams just find a way to win, and Nova did that.

Whitney really looked off in this game to me. He made a number of bad throws, and I believe had 1 INT and 1 fumble. Took a few sacks as well. Penn did a great job at bringing the pass rush, and Nova's OL looked confused all night. Was interesting to see A Young get two series in a row in the 3rd. Talley might be sending a possible message to Whitney that this season is too important to be loyal to players who aren't getting the job done.

Besides Whitney, none of the other skill position players on Villanova looked comfortable either. Villanova really hasn't shown the commitment to run the ball this year from the I formation, which is really hurting Ball's production. I think this is a mistake by Talley, as it's going to be important to get Ball in the game now so he's ready to go later in the year when the spread isn't working, and you need to grind out some wins against tougher opponents.

Leaving the game, I was really impressed by the Penn team. I think they are serious contenders for the Ivy league crown this year. Two of their RB's (Hampshire and DiMaggio) appeared to leave the game with injuries. They have a number of weapons on offense, and their defense looks stout. I'm looking forward to heading back on a weekend where I don't already have a Temple or Villanova commitment.

WMTribe90
September 20th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Contenders:
Richmond, VU, WM, UNH, JMU, UMass

Pretenders:
Hofstra, URI, NU, Towson, Maine

TBD:
UD (we'll know after this week)

It'll still be AGS in the CAA, but the divide between the top half and bottom half appears to be wider than usual this year.

Surprises to me, Hofstra down and UMass up.

ccd494
September 20th, 2009, 09:57 AM
So does Maine finish 4-7 with wins over both URI and Hofstra, or 3-8 with a loss to one of those two?

Schedule another playoff appearance for 2011, when Cosgrove gets moderately worried about his job again and goes 8-3, with a first round blowout.

MR. CHICKEN
September 20th, 2009, 10:25 AM

27-17.......HAPPENED AS PREDICTED........xrotatehxxnodxxbowxxnodxxrotatehx ...........BRAWK!!

93henfan
September 20th, 2009, 11:54 AM
27-17.......HAPPENED AS PREDICTED........xrotatehxxnodxxbowxxnodxxrotatehx ...........BRAWK!!

You pretty much nailed it. xbowx Striefsky screwed you.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 20th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Either the MEAC is as good as they have been in years or the CAA just got a reality check this weekend. And I'm not saying the former isn't possible.

soccerguy315
September 20th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I won't speak for the Delaware / Delaware St Game, but I was following the WM/NSU game pretty closely, and the game wasn't close. It was 27-0 with 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter. A questionable call on a fumble by the WM backup QB (really, the 3rd QB) and a bad snap for a safety were 9 of NSU's points.

Jury is still out on Delaware for the season.

Jackman
September 20th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Contenders:
Richmond, VU, WM, UNH, JMU, UMass

Pretenders:
Hofstra, URI, NU, Towson, Maine

TBD:
UD (we'll know after this week)

It'll still be AGS in the CAA, but the divide between the top half and bottom half appears to be wider than usual this year.

If we were to draw up a plan to get 6 CAA teams into the playoffs, part of the plan would be for the bottom 6 teams to be unable to beat the top 6. Unfortunately I think we have 7 good teams, which will probably mean fewer playoff spots than if we only had 6 good teams.

Edit: Speaking of 6s, this was my 666th post.

Ivytalk
September 20th, 2009, 01:28 PM

You pretty much nailed it. xbowx Striefsky screwed you.

Way to go, Mr. Chicken!xthumbsupx

Jon Striefsky: the Brad Lidge of the CAA?xconfusedxxsmiley_wix

EmeryZach
September 20th, 2009, 07:06 PM
If we were to draw up a plan to get 6 CAA teams into the playoffs, part of the plan would be for the bottom 6 teams to be unable to beat the top 6. Unfortunately I think we have 7 good teams, which will probably mean fewer playoff spots than if we only had 6 good teams.

Edit: Speaking of 6s, this was my 666th post.

Freaky!

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 11:44 AM
Delaware 42 - Delaware State 7 (27-17) xeyebrowx
Northeastern 24 - Youngstown State 17 (21-38) xoopsx damn CAA North
Richmond 31 - Hofstra 17 (47-0) xeyebrowx
UMass 31 - URI 13 (30-10) xthumbsupx
Maine 35 - Albany 10 (16-20) xoopsx damn CAA North AGAIN
JMU 49 - VMI 6 (44-16) xthumbsupx
William & Mary 38 - Norfolk State 10 (27-15) xthumbsupx
Coastal Carolina 24 - Towson 17 (17-21) xoopsx but close on the score :p
Villanova 38 - Penn 17 (14-3) xeyebrowx **

I do think I get extra points for the VU-Penn game...

It's often even closer than that when it shouldn't be. Last year 20-14 with a very lopsided match-up on paper. 4 of the last 5 games were one score. I would have put it a larger margin if it weren't for the history. xpeacex

Pitz
September 21st, 2009, 11:57 AM
Delaware 45, Delaware State 0 (UD 27, DSU 17) xcoffeex
YSU 28, Northeastern 24 (YSU 38, NU 21) xthumbsupx
Old Dominion 33, Jacksonville 28 (ODU 28, 27) xthumbsupx
UMASS 34, Rhode Island 17 (UMASS 30, URI 10) xthumbsupx
Richmond 41, Hofstra 14 (UR 47, Hofstra 0) xthumbsupx
Maine 21, Albany 17 (Albany 20, Maine 16) xoopsx
JMU 56, VMI 7 (JMU 44, VMI 16) xthumbsupx
W&M 42, Norfolk State 10 (W&M 27, NSU 15) xcoffeex
Villanova 35, Penn 13 (Nova 14, Penn 3) xcoffeex
Towson 31, Coastal Carolina 21 (Towson 21, CCU 17) xthumbsupx