PDA

View Full Version : Liberty at Lafayette Preview/Game Thread

ToTheLeft
September 14th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Lots of discussion already going on about this game, so I figured we could open it up on AGS...

This is really a critical game. LU is a borderline top 25 team, and a win on the road against Laffy validates them as such (in my mind). Laffy smacked Georgetown in the mouth, and is looking to prove last year's win was not a fluke, and that they are better than the Flames.

Liberty is dealing with a conundrum at QB, which means all signs point to the running game playing a big role. However, that plays into the strength of the Laffy D. The Laffy offense seems to be more sure of itself on the ground, as well, and the Liberty Run D is solid, anchored by a 400 pound man in the middle. Both Pass D's have question marks, and both passing offenses are a bit unstable at the moment. If Mike Brown starts at QB for the Flames, expect a ton of running from the Flames. His presence on the field opens up the D, since you have to respect his running ability.

Keys to the game might be the LU pass rush v. the Lafayette passing game. If Laffy gets a good passing game going, it could get ugly. However, the Flames were all over the QB against NCCU, and if that stays true against Laffy, the Flames might be able to take over.

Pards Rule
September 14th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Hmm, should be an interesting game. And I decided to go to it vs. going to Penn game. I so recall hardly anyone gave LC any chance going down to Lynchburg and playing the #14 ranked Flames.

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 09:48 AM
LU is a borderline top 25 team, and a win on the road against Laffy validates them as such (in my mind).
Validates them as borderline, yes.

Franks Tanks
September 14th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Validates them as borderline, yes.

Ya, its not as valid as a win at home against a D-II team.

ToTheLeft
September 14th, 2009, 10:15 AM
That's what I meant. I think we're already top 25, but I'm a bit biased. I think beating a decent team on the road, combined with not being killed by WVU, should be worth looking at.

And we had gotten away from the D II school thing until Iona's football program tanked, and we were forced to add WV Wesleyan since there was no one left that would play us. I think you will find that our DII games will be far less frequent in the future... and the FBS games will be pretty consistent. I know we have about 6 FBS games lined up, and the plan is to not schedule DII's again...

Dukie95
September 14th, 2009, 10:19 AM
And we had gotten away from the D II school thing

I think that DII comment was pointed in the direction of Newark, not Lynchburg.

ToTheLeft
September 14th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Well, FT did give us some grief over the North Greenville/Glenville State combo last year. Figured maybe it was a continuation of that.

Regardless, I put my foot in my mouth a lot the week before the Lafayette game last year. I remember my "Not on the same level" comment... I felt pretty dumb about that one for a while...

Franks Tanks
September 14th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I think that DII comment was pointed in the direction of Newark, not Lynchburg.

It was-- just joking with 89Hen as Delaware plays D-II WCU every year.

Liberty is upgrading their schedule so congrats. I may have given you grief about two D-II's, but that is clearly going away.

SuperJon
September 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't say conundrum at quarterback for us. We have two guys that could start for most teams. Tommy just happened to get knocked out. Mike will step in for a week with the ones if he's starting and will not miss a beat.

ToTheLeft
September 14th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't say conundrum at quarterback for us. We have two guys that could start for most teams. Tommy just happened to get knocked out. Mike will step in for a week with the ones if he's starting and will not miss a beat.

Beecher's absence is the conundrum. Beecher will start if healthy. Brown will start if not. So it's tough to really say how our O will work when we don't know who will lead it.

IaaScribe
September 14th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Self-promotion time:

http://www.mynewsadvance.com/index.php/chris_lang

Will be updating all week with notes from Liberty's end and some stuff from the Lafayette end, provided I have time. I can't get rid of the minor-league baseball team in town and am stuck with double duty for a second straight week.

purplepeopleeaterv2
September 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM
It was-- just joking with 89Hen as Delaware plays D-II WCU every year.

Liberty is upgrading their schedule so congrats. I may have given you grief about two D-II's, but that is clearly going away.

Not to mention joining that Va. rivalry and inviting JMU to their house this year xrotatehx

Pards Rule
September 14th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Ya, its not as valid as a win at home against a D-II team.

OUCH!

letsgopards04
September 14th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I think the Pards will be competitive and pull out a win but if it is close I am not sure if the kicking will be there. Three missed FGs this week was not a positive note.

carney2
September 14th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I think the Pards will be competitive and pull out a win but if it is close I am not sure if the kicking will be there. Three missed FGs this week was not a positive note.

The kid's a preseason All-American kicker who only missed two last year. Give him a break. Swirling winds? Bad holds? Needs glasses?

Oh yeah, I thought that Rodriguez had the accuracy but lacked the leg strength. Turns out that Frank "trusts" him up to 55 yards.

Pards Rule
September 14th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Diego should be practicing all week! Remember how Frank told him to "shove it up Big Al's tail" when Penn took an intentional safety in the second game, 2007 daring LC to drive and try a FG with an untested Frosh. He made the 29 yarder with 8 seconds left for an 8-7 win.

Go...gate
September 14th, 2009, 03:44 PM
This game, along with Harvard - HC, among the East's best games this week.

letsgopards04
September 15th, 2009, 07:48 AM
The kid's a preseason All-American kicker who only missed two last year. Give him a break. Swirling winds? Bad holds? Needs glasses?

Oh yeah, I thought that Rodriguez had the accuracy but lacked the leg strength. Turns out that Frank "trusts" him up to 55 yards.

No denying his talent but this will most likely be a close game and if the kicking game (holds/snaps included) is not clicking it can change strategy which mya actually help Tavani stay more agressive on offense in going for touchdowns and not settling for three.

carney2
September 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM
No denying his talent but this will most likely be a close game and if the kicking game (holds/snaps included) is not clicking it can change strategy which mya actually help Tavani stay more agressive on offense in going for touchdowns and not settling for three.

We're yapping about nothing here. If we're still within field goal range at the end on Saturday, I will be very happy. Real topics might be: Can our O-line handle a real defensive front? or Do we have the best defense in the Patriot League or was that just a mirage against a very bad offensive team? or We beat Liberty last year when they had Brock and Jennings. Should we not have a legitimate chance this year with those two guys graduated? or Does Liberty have a QB problem/controversy? or Lafayette was all big play against Georgetown. Can they actually get some sustained drives this week? or... Enough already with the kicker!

Besides, according to the post-game on Saturday, Frank still trusts Rodriguez. "He had a bad night when it didn't matter. He'll be there when we need him down the road." Or words to that effect.

ToTheLeft
September 15th, 2009, 08:15 AM
We beat Liberty with that 6'4" QB and the big time RB. Should we not have a legitimate chance this year with those two guys graduated? or Does Liberty have a QB problem/controversy?

We have two QB's who can start and who would be able to run the team quite well. However, one suffered an injury this past week, and was taken to the hopsital with what is rumored to be a concussion. I am no medical expert, but I am going to guess the other QB will start. So the only "problem" is that one QB is hurt.

And it's really not even a controversy, because if Beecher starts at QB, then Mike Brown can play WR and he's the best WR we have. However, this week, Brown will (by my estimation, and I really don't have any inside info here) start at QB, which gives us a dynamic offense with run and pass options.

carney2
September 15th, 2009, 08:40 AM
We have two QB's who can start and who would be able to run the team quite well. However, one suffered an injury this past week, and was taken to the hopsital with what is rumored to be a concussion. I am no medical expert, but I am going to guess the other QB will start. So the only "problem" is that one QB is hurt.

And it's really not even a controversy, because if Beecher starts at QB, then Mike Brown can play WR and he's the best WR we have. However, this week, Brown will (by my estimation, and I really don't have any inside info here) start at QB, which gives us a dynamic offense with run and pass options.

There ya go. We're not talking about a field goal kicker.

Pard94
September 15th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I am not suggesting Liberty is one of the top programs in FCS at this point. I suppose they could be in time. They seem to have the support necessary from their administration and thier fanbase to do so. I think they are better than us on paper right now. Maybe by a wide margin. That being said, I think they were better than us on paper last year by a wide margin. If Lafayette pulls out a win I think we are have to be considered favorites to win the league. I'm not worried about the kicker. I think we have bigger fish to fry this weekend. I want to see the o-line prove themselves. I'd love to see if we can make big plays like we did last week against a team considerably better than the team we played last week. I think there might be a couple of potential stars in the making on our team. This is exactly the kind of game where stars have to shine. Last year we were warning the Flames about Andy Romans before the game. This year I'd say look out for Rudolph and Layton on offense.

This is a total homer pick but I say the Leopards rise to the challenge and win in a knock down drag out fight. I fear that if it isn't a total dog fight the only other possible outcome is the Flames win in a walk.

Leopards 17
Flames 14

GO PARDS!

the last indian
September 15th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Pard94,
Keep in mind that the only team that LC has won this year is Georgetown. So now you will win the league?

Franks Tanks
September 15th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Pard94,
Keep in mind that the only team that LC has won this year is Georgetown. So now you will win the league?

It is the only team LC has played, so how could we have defeated other teams. The league is wide open, and Colgate looks solid but not overwhelming

carney2
September 15th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I am not suggesting Liberty is one of the top programs in FCS at this point. I suppose they could be in time. They seem to have the support necessary from their administration and thier fanbase to do so. I think they are better than us on paper right now. Maybe by a wide margin. That being said, I think they were better than us on paper last year by a wide margin. If Lafayette pulls out a win I think we are have to be considered favorites to win the league. I'm not worried about the kicker. I think we have bigger fish to fry this weekend. I want to see the o-line prove themselves. I'd love to see if we can make big plays like we did last week against a team considerably better than the team we played last week. I think there might be a couple of potential stars in the making on our team. This is exactly the kind of game where stars have to shine. Last year we were warning the Flames about Andy Romans before the game. This year I'd say look out for Rudolph and Layton on offense.

This is a total homer pick but I say the Leopards rise to the challenge and win in a knock down drag out fight. I fear that if it isn't a total dog fight the only other possible outcome is the Flames win in a walk.

Leopards 17
Flames 14

GO PARDS!

I am scared - really scared. I agree 100% with 94 and wouldn't change even one mark of punctuation. This has never happened before. NEVER! What next? KenZ speaks logically? I think that perhaps the end of the world may be near.

carney2
September 15th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Pard94,

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing it won't be Georgetown.

Pard94
September 15th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Pard94,

Well yes...because, aside from Villanova, I think Liberty may just be the best team on any PL schedule. Nova spanked Lehigh so they can't use a victory agianst the Wildcats to enter the discussion about the league's elite.

I'm not saying a win against the Flames guarantees PL Championship for the Leopards (not by a long shot). I just happen to think a win against this team puts us ahead in the meaningless discussion that takes place at this point of the year.

Pard94
September 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I am scared - really scared. I agree 100% with 94 and wouldn't change even one mark of punctuation. This has never happened before. NEVER! What next? KenZ speaks logically? I think that perhaps the end of the world may be near.

Ha! I think we actually agree on a great deal when it comes to the details, Carney. Somehow, however, those details almost always lead us to diametrically opposed conclusions regarding the big picture. This week though the stars and the moons are aligned. Chant with me...Ohmmm...Ohmmm.xlolx

carney2
September 15th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Ha! I think we actually agree on a great deal when it comes to the details, Carney. Somehow, however, those details almost always lead us to diametrically opposed conclusions regarding the big picture. This week though the stars and the moons are aligned. Chant with me...Ohmmm...Ohmmm.xlolx

My throat has closed due to fear and dread. I can't manage even a faint ohm.

IaaScribe
September 15th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Tuesday Liberty notes:

http://bit.ly/IBiTd

ngineer
September 15th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Forecast for Saturday as of now is rain, so a ground game is all the more important. If weather is decent, I'll schlep up to Fisher and check it out. If rain, I'll watch on RCN. I picked the 'pards by about 3 or so in the other thread and still think so. LC not only has home field, but any school with the initials "LU" tends to get them riled up.;):D

Pards Rule
September 16th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Those 3 will be provided by Diego Rodriguez :)

carney2
September 16th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Forecast for Saturday as of now is rain, so a ground game is all the more important. If weather is decent, I'll schlep up to Fisher and check it out. If rain, I'll watch on RCN. I picked the 'pards by about 3 or so in the other thread and still think so. LC not only has home field, but any school with the initials "LU" tends to get them riled up.;):D

Weather forecast keeps changing. Now the latest is "mostly sunny, high in the 60s."

SuperJon
September 16th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Please dear God let it be that one. I can't afford to get my camera jacked up in the rain.

letsgopards04
September 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I 'll be even more confident than most. This is Curley's team. Enough dicking around with multiple QB's and I think it shows, 35-21.

ngineer
September 16th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Weather forecast keeps changing. Now the latest is "mostly sunny, high in the 60s."

Yes, I just saw that too. Could be a great night for football.

SuperJon
September 16th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Please dear God let it be that one. I can't afford to get my camera jacked up in the rain.

I repeat this. I just got a brand new camera today and I can't get it ruined in the rain on Saturday.

carney2
September 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I repeat this. I just got a brand new camera today and I can't get it ruined in the rain on Saturday.

Solution: Don't bring the camera to the game. Unless you've got a 400mm f/2.8 lens and a camera that will shoot at ISOs in excess of 1600 without noise, you're wasting your time anyway.

Pard4Life
September 17th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Anyone want to forecast attendence?

I'd say 10,000... 8,000 worst case, 12,000 if we are lucky. That would almost be a sellout... That's how big this opponent will be... biggest non-Lehigh team since Richmond 2005 at Fisher.

Pard4Life
September 17th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I did not see the Gtown game, but why is everyone so high on Jerome Rudolph? Unless he got more physical, he would best be suite for KR/PR or WR.

elcid83
September 17th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Keep a close eye on Beecher. Last year he suffered a concussion when he started for South Carolina in their season opener against NC State. He never played again and he was called on to play by Coach Spurrier during a game and he refused to go in. Might be all she wrote for Mr. Beecher's QB career. It's a shame too, because I believe he is a stellar kid.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Franks Tanks
September 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I did not see the Gtown game, but why is everyone so high on Jerome Rudolph? Unless he got more physical, he would best be suite for KR/PR or WR.

He is quite a bit bigger and more muscular than last year (it appears). He looked very quick and explosive as well last week.

As for attendance I think 8-10 IF we have nice weather. If the weather is iffy the showing will be poor. Also keep a eye out for Vaugh Hebron, perhaps he will be there.

Pards Rule
September 17th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I'm ready to go! I sitting in the Carney section!!

Pards Rule
September 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Tuesday Liberty notes:

http://bit.ly/IBiTd

Dude, do you have the write up for yesterday?

Pard94
September 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM
He is quite a bit bigger and more muscular than last year (it appears). He looked very quick and explosive as well last week.

As for attendance I think 8-10 IF we have nice weather. If the weather is iffy the showing will be poor. Also keep a eye out for Vaugh Hebron, perhaps he will be there.

I thought Rudy looked great last year and that was as a desperately underweight underclassman. I haven't seen him yet but it sounds as though he locked himself in the weightroom. He's very good at exploding through the line and once he has some open space he looked to be either elusive or simply tough to bring down. He's talented!

Ivytalk
September 17th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I like the Fightin' Falwells by 3.xpeacex

ngineer
September 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I'm ready to go! I sitting in the Carney section!!

Where is the Carney section, anyway? I just may sashay up College Hill and take in the Fisher ambiance Saturday night. Weather looks great.

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Where is the Carney section, anyway? I just may sashay up College Hill and take in the Fisher ambiance Saturday night. Weather looks great.

Looking at the field from the home stands to the left of the seatbacks second row from top...He will be the one covering his eyes.

IaaScribe
September 18th, 2009, 09:11 AM
To the Easton folks: Any recommendations for a late lunch/early dinner spot to hit? A locally-owned joint, preferably?

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2009, 09:40 AM
There are a couple good spots on Cattell Street a block from campus. Ayyy, but I cant recall the names. What is the Italian place called? And the one next door?

Franks Tanks
September 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
To the Easton folks: Any recommendations for a late lunch/early dinner spot to hit? A locally-owned joint, preferably?

Morici's -- a little Italian place right next to campus. Very good and cheap.

Pearly Bakers- Nice beer selection and very good food. It is more of a bar atmosphere, but the do simple food very well.

Franks Tanks
September 18th, 2009, 09:52 AM
There are a couple good spots on Cattell Street a block from campus. Ayyy, but I cant recall the names. What is the Italian place called? And the one next door?

Morici's and Pizza Doro-- go with Morici's

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Yes - Moricis! Thx FT!

IaaScribe
September 18th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Appreciate the tip guys.

Franks Tanks
September 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Appreciate the tip guys.

Other places like The River Grill or Togo are pretty darn good higher end restuarants in downtown Easton, but that would be more dinner fare.

Just avoid the Larry Holmes Ringside restaurant (not good at all)

carney2
September 18th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Not sayin'. Too many enemies.

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Other places like The River Grill or Togo are pretty darn good higher end restuarants in downtown Easton, but that would be more dinner fare.

Just avoid the Larry Holmes Ringside restaurant (not good at all)

Where is Togo? And River Grille (I thought it closed?) is next to the old Easton Sweet Shop on the circle??

Pard94
September 18th, 2009, 10:56 AM
My family and I always used to eat at Pizza D'Oro after games. Inexpensive and decent food. Can't go wrong with Morici's either though. Is Campus Pizza still there? Lived on their gyros and mozzerella sticks. I know they made a science out of serving beer to underage students so it wouldn't surprise me if they were long gone. Even if it is still there you'd never get a seat as students always filled the place quickly.

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Well 94 it was open as of June 2009 when I had a few at my 25th reunion. The undercover ABC agent might have mistaken me for an underager xsmiley_wix

Franks Tanks
September 18th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Where is Togo? And River Grille (I thought it closed?) is next to the old Easton Sweet Shop on the circle??

The river grill is still open as far as I know. Actually the restaurant is called SOGO no Togo--my bad. Its right near the river grill (if its still there) and it a good sushi place.

carney2
September 18th, 2009, 12:41 PM
College Hill Tavern is just beer and pub grub, but it is nearest to Fisher.

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2009, 12:52 PM
The river grill is still open as far as I know. Actually the restaurant is called SOGO no Togo--my bad. Its right near the river grill (if its still there) and it a good sushi place.

Sushi ...<cant find a barfing icon>

Franks Tanks
September 18th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Sushi ...<cant find a barfing icon>

They also have Thai and Chinese food. I had a good Thai dish there a few months ago, the whole spicy noodles in the chile powder and concnut milk sauce-- delicious

Sly Fox
September 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM

Rain gear, my man. It is your new best friend. I've shot probably a hundred games in the rain in my years with the primary problem being an occassional fogged up lens.

I hear you should avoid the lousy food at the Assassins eaterie. But does it have enough memorabilia to make the visit worthwhile?

Go...gate
September 18th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Don't think you need the rain gear - weather report seems to be favorable.

carney2
September 18th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Don't think you need the rain gear - weather report seems to be favorable.

Forecast with 22 hours to go uses the word "sunny" for the afternoon and "clear" for the night. Looks good.

Pards Rule
September 19th, 2009, 09:31 AM
It is sunny and hi near 70 expected in Easton, PA..I'm on my way from South Jersey!

Sly Fox
September 19th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Hearing about the great weather makes me even more frustrated to not be taking it in live. On a positive note, channelsurfing has the game now listed. So it is defeinitely on at the Sly household.

BigSouthFB
September 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM
TD flames on the opening drive. PAT good. 7-0 LU

ToTheLeft
September 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM
LU up 16-0 at the half... Mike Brown running the offense very well for the Flames, Chris Summers having a career day, first career TD catch and a career high 8 catches already in the first half...

Laffy has missed a very short FG and been otherwise ineffective on offense, and Liberty is winning the field position game easily.

jcmanson
September 19th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Mike Brown: 16-20 passing for 154 yds 1 td 0 int, 13 carries 46 yards 1 td in the first half.

ToTheLeft
September 19th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Courtesy of IaaScribe: At halftime: Liberty's Mike Brown has 200 yards. Lafayette has 100.

ToTheLeft
September 19th, 2009, 08:04 PM
LU wins 19-13. Chris Summers with 14 catches for 138 yards and a touchdown (all career highs), Mike Brown goes 29/36 for 256 and a touchdown, and LU holds the LC offense to under 300 yards, while Mike Brown creates over 340 yards of total offense on his own. Multiple blocked kicks in the game, so sloppy special teams for both squads, but LU gets its first win against a Patriot League school, and avenges our home loss last year. Good game, 'Pards.

ngineer
September 19th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Got to see most of the game. Mke Brown is what we though Sedale Threatt was going to be for Lehigh. Very tough to defense that guy. I thought 'pards did credible job against LU's huge DL. Actually, I thought LC would have opened it up sooner. Man, Curley took LC 70 yards in four plays in the fourth quarter when he had to. LC's wrs have a lot of upside. That one pass down the middle would have been a TD had the pass not been too high causing the wr to layout and dive for it. In stride it's a touchdown. LU had a lot of weapons and quickness, but LC's defense did a fairly good job imo. Tough, hard fought game. Liberty showed me they are worthy of Top 25 ranking, and Lafayette has a good squad.

Franks Tanks
September 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Got to see most of the game. Mke Brown is what we though Sedale Threatt was going to be for Lehigh. Very tough to defense that guy. I thought 'pards did credible job against LU's huge DL. Actually, I thought LC would have opened it up sooner. Man, Curley took LC 70 yards in four plays in the fourth quarter when he had to. LC's wrs have a lot of upside. That one pass down the middle would have been a TD had the pass not been too high causing the wr to layout and dive for it. In stride it's a touchdown. LU had a lot of weapons and quickness, but LC's defense did a fairly good job imo. Tough, hard fought game. Liberty showed me they are worthy of Top 25 ranking, and Lafayette has a good squad.

Pretty much my assement of the game as well. Liberty is talented and deserved the win, but the Pards could have played better. The missed bomb was truly a killer for us.

jcmanson
September 20th, 2009, 10:51 AM
We played well in the first half, but not so much in the 2nd. We left 4+ points on the field, and shouldn't have given up the 2nd touchdown ya'll got.

Franks Tanks
September 20th, 2009, 11:05 AM
We played well in the first half, but not so much in the 2nd. We left 4+ points on the field, and shouldn't have given up the 2nd touchdown ya'll got.

Well when "should" you give up TD's then? There were no fluke plays on that drive

Pard4Life
September 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Give Liberty credit, they were smart in their preparation because what they did is the exact formula on how to beat us. It was like watching the same nightmare from previous losses.

I think though that we blew this game with poor kickoffs, a bad decision to onside kick in the 4th, deciding to punt on first down (Lehigh game flashback), the Layton catch at midfield, and arguably Stripe's catch which could hae been a TD. Liberty was nearly flawless, we were not.

jcmanson
September 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Well when "should" you give up TD's then? There were no fluke plays on that drive

Sorry, didn't mean it as a slight to your team. Curley picked us apart that drive. I was just stating that apparently we went to a prevent defense too soon or either our defense got complacent.

Franks Tanks
September 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Sorry, didn't mean it as a slight to your team. Curley picked us apart that drive. I was just stating that apparently we went to a prevent defense too soon or either our defense got complacent.

Ok I see.. you guys looked good and certainly deserved the win. Good luck the rest of the way

jcmanson
September 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks and same to you guys. We'll be pulling for you to win the Patriot.

Andy
September 20th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I would have preferred a win, of course, but overall that was a terrific and entertaining college football experience. Much thanks to Liberty for bringing their awesome band. They are quite a sight and an impressive sound, certainly we were left wanting more. BTW, I counted 9 LU buses outside Kirby Sports Center post game--quite a contingent. Also thought it was pretty classy of the Flames not to push for that last minute score. Good luck rest of the way.

Pards Rule
September 21st, 2009, 08:45 AM
Met quite a few LU fans and they were quite complimentary of the Pards squad. Basically, I think both these teams competitvely match up and is there a game next year? I have never been to Lynchburg (closest - Roanoke, driving on I-81 from Fredricksburg to Asheville NC stopped in Farmers Market for dinner). But that is a haul of a trip. Bumped into 3 Liberty students filing into the stands just before kickoff who said they just got there and were going right home after the game! LU's team did the same - getting home probably around 4:30 AM. My perceptions: LC entered the game feeling as if last year could be a fluke and played a tentative first half and LU played a very good first half and LC, at halftime realizing they were "only" down 16-0, gave them the confidence for a much much better second half. LU is a sharp team and headed for a playoff appearance. See you in Lynchburg next year?

Franks Tanks
September 21st, 2009, 08:47 AM
Met quite a few LU fans and they were quite complimentary of the Pards squad. Basically, I think both these teams competitvely match up and is there a game next year? I have never been to Lynchburg (closest - Roanoke, driving on I-81 from Fredricksburg to Asheville NC stopped in Farmers Market for dinner). But that is a haul of a trip. Bumped into 3 Liberty students filing into the stands just before kickoff who said they just got there and were going right home after the game! LU's team did the same - getting home probably around 4:30 AM. My perceptions: LC entered the game feeling as if last year could be a fluke and played a tentative first half and LU played a very good first half and LC, at halftime realizing they were "only" down 16-0, gave them the confidence for a much much better second half. LU is a sharp team and headed for a playoff appearance. See you in Lynchburg next year?

I think the series is done Pard

carney2
September 21st, 2009, 09:01 AM
Met quite a few LU fans and they were quite complimentary of the Pards squad. Basically, I think both these teams competitvely match up and is there a game next year? See you in Lynchburg next year?

Franks has surrounded it Mr. Rule. You have seen the finale of this series. Jerry's Kids are headed in an entirely different direction and will not be dallying with the likes of the Patriot League in the future. Other than a chance meeting in the playoffs somewhere down the road, you won't see this matchup again.

I second the thoughts about the LU band. Fantastic! It's the best band I've seen at Fisher - Stadium or Field - ever. They should have delayed the 3rd quarter and let those kids keep going. No one headed for the concessions or rest rooms during that performance.

Pards Rule
September 21st, 2009, 09:30 AM
Too bad - I guess I will have to hope for a playoff matchup then.

Libertine
September 21st, 2009, 11:35 AM
Sorry, this was the end of the series. Unfortunate since it has produced two pretty good games.

As for the game itself, don't give Tavani grief about the the onside kick. It was the right call to make in that situation. There were only three minutes left on the clock and we had owned TOP all night. If you didn't get the ball back right then and there, you probably weren't getting it back at all which is exactly how things played out. Also as for a punt on first down -- unless it's some sort of regional colloquialism -- that never happened. Every punt in the game took place on precisely the down on which one would expect, which is to say the 4th.

Incidentally, those new facilities you guys have there at Fisher are fantastic.

Pards Rule
September 21st, 2009, 12:10 PM
Libertine - agreed on the onsides kick! Probably one play that I would have liked to see change game status was the fourth and one that first TD drive at the goal. What happened? It looked like we stopped him and he fumbled into the end zone and recovered by LU for TD? Thx for the props about facilities - now if we can just borrow Spirit of the Mountain band they would be unsurpassed!!

carney2
September 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
As for the game itself, don't give Tavani grief about the the onside kick. It was the right call to make in that situation.

Incidentally, those new facilities you guys have there at Fisher are fantastic.

I have no problem with the on sides kick. It's the QB sneak on 1st down when we were backed up on our own 1 that really honks me. Where do you go after that?! You have just admitted that you are willing to kick it back, giving Liberty the ball in the exact same spot they had before - but this time with a 1st down instead of a 4th. Play football. Get the ball out of there. Gutless and moronic!

Libertine
September 21st, 2009, 01:19 PM
It looked like we stopped him and he fumbled into the end zone and recovered by LU for TD?

I think our QB stuck the ball out over the goal line but the officials were slow in making the touchdown call and one of your guys swatted it loose. Without an official signal, I think everybody just pounced on the ball.

Carney, there's not much else you can do when you're literally inside your own goal line. Backed that far up, you don't take chances and you run the QB sneak and short yardage plays just to give your punter some room. It's conservative but nearly anything else runs the risk of giving the ball back in great field position with an extra two points to go along. That's why downing a punt inside the 1-yard line is such a big deal. After watching last year's game and this one, believe me when I say that Lafatyette has a very good coach in Tavani. He seems to make exactly the right decision at exactly the right time. Calling that fake punt at the end of last year's game was a thing of coaching beauty.

carney2
September 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Carney, there's not much else you can do when you're literally inside your own goal line. Backed that far up, you don't take chances and you run the QB sneak and short yardage plays just to give your punter some room. It's conservative but nearly anything else runs the risk of giving the ball back in great field position with an extra two points to go along. That's why downing a punt inside the 1-yard line is such a big deal. After watching last year's game and this one, believe me when I say that Lafatyette has a very good coach in Tavani. He seems to make exactly the right decision at exactly the right time. Calling that fake punt at the end of last year's game was a thing of coaching beauty.

I disagree, or, to paraphrase an oft-quoted line from A Few Good Men, I strenuously disagree. You are in a game you are not supposed to win and where you are supposedly outmanned everywhere by the hired hands - but, at this point the game is winnable; your O-line has not been outstanding and, indeed, was not expected to be; the middle guard on the other team weighs 377 (not a typo); you have an experienced QB who should know better than to do something stupid; and your play book has some low risk plays (pass) that allow the QB to harmlessly get rid of the ball if it isn't there. And you call a QB sneak on first down. I repeat: gutless and moronic. And a flat out concession of 6 points (the PAT was blocked).

Pards Rule
September 21st, 2009, 02:32 PM
I think our QB stuck the ball out over the goal line but the officials were slow in making the touchdown call and one of your guys swatted it loose. Without an official signal, I think everybody just pounced on the ball.

Thx - I think Frank was quite pleased with the way the D was playing in the second half (allowed Flames only 3 pts) and thought they just might force a three and out and get a punt that didnt land on the 1 yard line. Damn talk about a bad bounce!

SuperJon
September 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
Libertine - agreed on the onsides kick! Probably one play that I would have liked to see change game status was the fourth and one that first TD drive at the goal. What happened? It looked like we stopped him and he fumbled into the end zone and recovered by LU for TD? Thx for the props about facilities - now if we can just borrow Spirit of the Mountain band they would be unsurpassed!!

I was standing on the goal line. Literally. I was as close to the goal line as anyone not in a uniform could be, and what happened was exactly what Lib said.

Pards Rule
September 21st, 2009, 02:41 PM
Thx Jon - the videoboard only had the view from the pressbox where you still couldnt see what the frick happened. I was clapping for the D for the 4th down stop and then was confused when the O didnt come on the field!! I felt like a fricking fool! At least Carney didnt rap me upside my head (he was three seats away).