PDA

View Full Version : Significant Loss Dilemma

ngineer
September 13th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I am always intrigued by determining the most 'significant loss' of the week. Wins are easier to gauge. But a 'significant loss' has multiple meanings. This week is no exception with Georgia Southern having the bejeezus kicked out of them, but James Madison and Weber State losing to some 'significant' big time programs by very slim margins. Indeed, even Jacksonville State acquitted itself well against Tomahawk Chopland. I was in a quandry on this vote since I thought the news of the margin of defeat of GSU was shockwave worthy. At the same time, the Weber State to lose to Colorado St. by a point and JMU to take the Terrapins to within 3 points of mortal embarrassment (to them) say alot as well. Of course, there is no wrong/right answer, but I am always intrigued by the weekly question...and the results.

ASUG8
September 13th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Richmond/Delaware margin of victory surprised me
ASU/McNeese clearly a stunner for mexbawlingx
GSU/SDSU also perplexing, especially looking at the solid Albany win

It's hard to pick, but I'd likely go with ASU because we're supposed to be fielding one of our best teams ever.

Tribe4SF
September 13th, 2009, 09:25 PM

It's hard to pick, but I'd likely go with ASU because we're supposed to be fielding one of our best teams ever.

That Albany win doesn't look so solid after the Danes got waxed by UMass 44-7.

RabidRabbit
September 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I have the tendency to use these categories to be teams in the top 25 who made a significant stride to qualify for the play-off or whose lose almost leads to assure that they won't be picked.

Weber St. has lost two OOC games, leaving them with only one possible OOC win, but that's a 11/21 game with Cal Poly. Weber is essentially at a point where they MUST win the Big Sky to get to the play-offs.

If they were ranked, Albany's loss to UMass means that they can't get the sufficient 2 wins vs auto-bid conference members to be selected for as at-large.

MR. CHICKEN
September 13th, 2009, 10:33 PM
That Albany win doesn't look so solid after the Danes got waxed by UMass 44-7.

YO CHIEF/ASUGB...WHAT ALBANY WIN...xconfusedx......DUH DANES GAVE IT UP....TA..SIX FLAGS/MAYBERRY.....29-26...LAST WEEK.....AWK!!

Gringer1
September 14th, 2009, 01:10 AM
YO CHIEF/ASUGB...WHAT ALBANY WIN...xconfusedx......DUH DANES GAVE IT UP....TA..SIX FLAGS/MAYBERRY.....29-26...LAST WEEK.....AWK!!

He means the GSU win over Albany doesn't look so impressive. What's this about mayberry?

paward
September 14th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Will tell you that my pick for the week was App State.

drpnut
September 14th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Most significant loss is intriguing...

Weber and JMU were supposed to lose to FBS so I couldn't select them.

ASU lost to a McNeese team that is pretty good...

From what many people were saying SDSU was a slight underdog to GSU... the margin of victory, etc made it easy for me... GSU's loss was most significant of week.

JMU Newbill
September 14th, 2009, 06:00 AM
ASU losing is the biggest loss of the week. Weber and JMU were supposed to lose. Easy decision.

Bull Fan
September 14th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Kool Aid.

ASU losing is the biggest loss of the week. Weber and JMU were supposed to lose. Easy decision.

More Kool Aid.

I guess Kool Aid has replaced moonshine down there. Maybe you should take the blinders off and realize while you're good, you're not THAT good. You're in a decent conference, but the CAA is stronger. And you've been exposed to that last year. Things aren't going to change this year.

It's going to be laughable to see the App State faithful eat some crow this year.

PantherRob82
September 14th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I went with Albany.

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 07:33 AM
There's only two in the running for me. AppSt at home is the leader with GSU getting blown out a close second. I knew JMU could play MD close, I didn't think it would be that close, but still. Same goes for Weber/CSU.

Tribe4SF
September 14th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I base my "most significant loss" choice on the teams I had ranked the previous week. I did not have GSU ranked, so they weren't a consideration for me.

ASU's loss was an easy choice. I didn't have McNeese ranked, so their win was an easy pick as most significant since they jumped in my poll at #17. ASU was a team I thought would win the SoCon, and get a seed. Their season is in jeopardy now, with little margin for error, and a need to win out to have a shot at a seed. Their defense has to be a major concern giving up 522 yards and 40 points at home. McNeese had the ball for 10 minutes of the 4th quarter with scoring drives of 95 and 79 yards.

Rekdiver
September 14th, 2009, 07:56 AM
My Apps let me down. ASU's loss was the most significant not only for the loss but how we lost. NO DEFENSE! Too many young men reading too many clippings. I don't see the hunger and attitude I used to see.

phillyAPP
September 14th, 2009, 08:45 AM
My Apps let me down. ASU's loss was the most significant not only for the loss but how we lost. NO DEFENSE! Too many young men reading too many clippings. I don't see the hunger and attitude I used to see.

"too many clippings" is just one issue. Many of these kids are being praised for past efforts, and many of them weren't even at APP.

A brand new stadium... new lockers like NFL....

And some coaching that is too confident in kids that don't have enough experience.

Some coaching that didn't adjust to #22 and #4.

McNeese's coaches should have laughed all the way back to Lake Charles. They schooled APP like a grizzled vet schools a rookie.

IMHO

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 08:57 AM
ASU's loss was an easy choice. I didn't have McNeese ranked, so their win was an easy pick as most significant
xnodx It's not often that my two most significants are the same game, but I think this week most definitely warranted it.

BarefootApp
September 14th, 2009, 10:10 AM
My, my....jealousy does bring out the worst in some fans. Laughable? We'll see.

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 10:18 AM

xconfusedx

South Carolina Duke
September 14th, 2009, 10:28 AM
1. Mountineers loss to one of the highest ranked teams that they will face tjis year....until the playoffs.

2. Eagles. Last weeks performance didn't help either.

mcveyrl
September 14th, 2009, 10:29 AM
xnodx It's not often that my two most significants are the same game, but I think this week most definitely warranted it.

Same here. I looked for other ways around it, but couldn't see anything.

xconfusedx

Yea, explanation please. I'm not following either.

Bull Fan
September 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM
The jealousy remark may have been directed at me. I'm not jealous of a fan or fanbase that drinks too much kool aid. Your previous championships mean nothing in the current year. It's about now, that's why they keep playing each year.

App fans think this is one of the best squads you've fielded... you think the team is going to throw their helmets on the field and walk away victorious. You take up the most bandwidth on this site proclaiming greatness, but you're only as good as your last game. The rest of us are laughing our asses off every time your egos take a hit xlolx

unialum95
September 14th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Most significant loss is intriguing...

Weber and JMU were supposed to lose to FBS so I couldn't select them.

ASU lost to a McNeese team that is pretty good...

From what many people were saying SDSU was a slight underdog to GSU... the margin of victory, etc made it easy for me... GSU's loss was most significant of week.

Agreed. Not a good day for GSU.

UNHFootballAlum
September 14th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Easy choice for me was App State. They played at home, albeit to a ranked team, but one that they were supposed to handle easily.

It will be interesting to see how far they tumble in the top 25 polls.

ASUG8
September 14th, 2009, 11:12 AM
The jealousy remark may have been directed at me. I'm not jealous of a fan or fanbase that drinks too much kool aid. Your previous championships mean nothing in the current year. It's about now, that's why they keep playing each year.

App fans think this is one of the best squads you've fielded... you think the team is going to throw their helmets on the field and walk away victorious. You take up the most bandwidth on this site proclaiming greatness, but you're only as good as your last game. The rest of us are laughing our asses off every time your egos take a hit xlolx

319 posts and you're the board spokesman? xeyebrowx

clintc
September 14th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I would go with the Georgia Southern lose (ie embarrassing performance) against a team 3 years removed from DII....

89Hen
September 14th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I would go with the Georgia Southern lose (ie embarrassing performance) against a team 3 years removed from DII....
xeyebrowx

Interesting comment given that Georgia Southern in it's fourth year of existance won back to back National Championships. xwhistlex

Also see Delaware, Hofstra, Coastal... xpeacex

ASUG8
September 14th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Kool Aid.

More Kool Aid.

I guess Kool Aid has replaced moonshine down there. Maybe you should take the blinders off and realize while you're good, you're not THAT good. You're in a decent conference, but the CAA is stronger. And you've been exposed to that last year. Things aren't going to change this year.

It's going to be laughable to see the App State faithful eat some crow this year.

You're really making friends here - I'd advise you move this type of comment to smack, not discussion. App will get turned around, and having the bye week to get their heads focused will help.

It's hardly Kool aid when you're having to evaluate a team on paper in the preseason - I don't think many people on this board saw ASU as an 0-2 team in the preseason. Based on returning starters and recruiting class we had every reason to believe we would have a good run, and I still believe that we will as painful as the last couple of weeks have been. Don't be a hater - if you dislike us, fine - take it to the smack board. If there's something constructive you'd like to add to the conversation, then the discussion board is the place.

Bull Fan
September 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
You're really making friends here - I'd advise you move this type of comment to smack, not discussion. App will get turned around, and having the bye week to get their heads focused will help.

It's hardly Kool aid when you're having to evaluate a team on paper in the preseason - I don't think many people on this board saw ASU as an 0-2 team in the preseason. Based on returning starters and recruiting class we had every reason to believe we would have a good run, and I still believe that we will as painful as the last couple of weeks have been. Don't be a hater - if you dislike us, fine - take it to the smack board. If there's something constructive you'd like to add to the conversation, then the discussion board is the place.

0-2 is 0-2 when you're the Greatest I-AA Team Ever Assembled. How many cliches will I need to throw out there if you're going to talk about evaluating a team on paper? Go ahead, make excuses for the ECU loss. I'd have thought a team that beat a #5 Michigan team could have easily taken care of ECU. Well, at least that's the vibe coming out of your fan's mouths. I'd certainly think NOBODY from your camp thought 0-2 was remotely possible, of course not!

Is this smack? Sorry, if the shoe fits, wear it. We have to be constantly reminded of the Greatest I-AA Team Ever Assembled. I think I'm taking a random CAA champ to outshine you once again.

Bull Fan
September 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Edit: Richmond wasn't even the conference champ!

BDKJMU
September 14th, 2009, 05:47 PM
1. Mountineers loss to one of the highest ranked teams that they will face tjis year....until the playoffs.

2. Eagles. Last weeks performance didn't help either.

I believe McNeese was ranked #16? when they beat ASU. Elon is likely to be ranked higher than that when ASU is @ Elon.

ASUG8
September 14th, 2009, 06:07 PM
0-2 is 0-2 when you're the Greatest I-AA Team Ever Assembled. How many cliches will I need to throw out there if you're going to talk about evaluating a team on paper? Go ahead, make excuses for the ECU loss. I'd have thought a team that beat a #5 Michigan team could have easily taken care of ECU. Well, at least that's the vibe coming out of your fan's mouths. I'd certainly think NOBODY from your camp thought 0-2 was remotely possible, of course not!

Is this smack? Sorry, if the shoe fits, wear it. We have to be constantly reminded of the Greatest I-AA Team Ever Assembled. I think I'm taking a random CAA champ to outshine you once again.

Your words, not mine - go back and read some posts about how most of the ASU faithful didn't expect a win at ECU and knew that McNeese would come to play. There's a whole thread on ASU/McNeese that you might check out. I'm not sure where your animosity lies (maybe didn't get into ASU?) but nobody is making any excuses about the losses except for internal issues, defense, our coaching, etc. I haven't read a single comment saying "what if...." or "bad officiating", etc. We took it on the chin and are bracing for a strong Samford team in a couple of weeks. We looked great on paper in the preseason and were hearing good news from the practices plus had a preseason #1 ranking. If that's drinking the Kool aid then sobeit.
Oh, and it's an FCS team that's been assembled, not I-AA. xcoffeex

Eight Legger
September 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I voted JMU the most significant loss, because I didn't expect the Dukes to play that well. They should have won the game. So it was pretty significant to me that they made it that close.

Bull Fan
September 14th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I actually wanted to get a job when I graduated college, so I ruled out Appy early on in my college search.

Actually, no animosity. I'm not a fan of a rival school, nor do I pull for or against anyone in the Southern. Just glad that your fans are enjoying a nice crow-eating session. I mean really, you can spin this all you want, but I doubt ANY of you thought you'd be 0-2 right now with such high hopes.

MSU_77
September 14th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I actually wanted to get a job when I graduated college, so I ruled out Appy early on in my college search.

Actually, no animosity. I'm not a fan of a rival school, nor do I pull for or against anyone in the Southern. Just glad that your fans are enjoying a nice crow-eating session. I mean really, you can spin this all you want, but I doubt ANY of you thought you'd be 0-2 right now with such high hopes.

I doubt that App fans expected to lose this weekend, but there is IMHO no point in rubbing it in like that. I didn't meet a single jerk fan in Boone either before or after the game, and it's hard to wish ill fortune on such folks. Best of luck to App State the rest of the season.

ASUG8
September 14th, 2009, 07:04 PM

You'd be surprised just how well employed you can be with ASU in your back pocket.....xsmiley_wix

I don't think seriously you're seeing anyone key on anything external for our shaky start, but rather an emphasis on what's going wrong in key areas on the team and being simply outplayed in some cases. I agree, I didn't think we'd be 0-2 either, but that's where we are and we'll deal with it. My hope is that Moore and co. are finally making the necessary adjustments, studying a lot of film, and getting ready for what I believe will be a rumble in Boone in two weeks. I'll be there to see this one. xthumbsupx

Bull Fan
September 14th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Stop the whining and eat your crow.

StrikeJMU
September 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM

Crow is not so bad. I ate crow last year, damn voodoo Grizzly dolls didn't do s***. Alcohol helps digest it.

ASUG8
September 15th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the neg rep, and stay classy. xthumbsupx Watch those personal attacks - the mods here are strict about that. Read the TOS and you'll maybe understand the difference between discussion and smack. xrulesx

I'll eat crow when the time comes, and it isn't now. Carry on. xwhistlex

OL FU
September 15th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I doubt that App fans expected to lose this weekend, but there is IMHO no point in rubbing it in like that. I didn't meet a single jerk fan in Boone either before or after the game, and it's hard to wish ill fortune on such folks. Best of luck to App State the rest of the season.

Listen they have lost like 9 games out of what 58 over the last four years. We have to jump on any chance we get:o

ASUG8
September 15th, 2009, 07:41 AM

This comment, then you start handing out red chiclets? xlolx

Bull Fan
September 15th, 2009, 08:09 AM
This comment, then you start handing out red chiclets? xlolx

App State fans are obnoxious, yourself included. That fall off the high horse could hurt. I see no personal attacks in this thread, but thanks for your concern. I've been given warnings here for other reasons, certainly nothing here would warrant. Unless of course one of the mods is a whiny sore loser App fan.

Bottom line, as OL FU says, it's nice to see you guys eat some crow once in awhile. You're not even defending champs, but you'd never know it from the attitudes here.

OL FU
September 15th, 2009, 08:13 AM
App State fans are obnoxious, yourself included. That fall off the high horse could hurt. I see no personal attacks in this thread, but thanks for your concern. I've been given warnings here for other reasons, certainly nothing here would warrant. Unless of course one of the mods is a whiny sore loser App fan.

Bottom line, as OL FU says, it's nice to see you guys eat some crow once in awhile. You're not even defending champs, but you'd never know it from the attitudes here.

OL FU was joking. ASUG8 is a friend of mine and not just the internet variety and he is far from obnoxious. (well maybe a little when he wears that ASU football jersey with the ASU guitar slung around his neck while working out in his ASU workout shoes.) Dude probably wears black and gold under wearxsmiley_wixxlolx

ASUG8
September 15th, 2009, 08:15 AM

Show me some of my whiny posts and me being obnoxious to you besides stating obvious facts about the App losses. I'm hardly being a sore loser, just ready to move past the losses and get the program on track. I'll wait while you track those posts down......xcoffeex

ASUG8
September 15th, 2009, 08:16 AM
OL FU was joking. ASUG8 is a friend of mine and not just the internet variety and he is far from obnoxious. (well maybe a little when he wears that ASU football jersey with the ASU guitar slung around his neck while working out in his ASU workout shoes.) Dude probably wears black and gold under wearxsmiley_wixxlolx

I don't wear underwear, but you're right on the other stuff xthumbsupx

OL FU
September 15th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I don't wear underwear, but you're right on the other stuff xthumbsupx

xeekx TMIxlolx

ASUG8
September 15th, 2009, 08:24 AM
xeekx TMIxlolx

Well, sometimes a thong maybe.....xlolx

xnonox

Bull Fan
September 15th, 2009, 08:25 AM
You're collectively obnoxious, but the obnoxious never think they're obnoxious. I know I'm being obnoxious to you right now, but it's for a reason ;) Trust me when I say, there are more than a few here who could live without some of the App State fans around here.

App fans need to eat the crow humbly without finding a need to respond every time someone calls you out.

Bull Fan
September 15th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Well, sometimes a thong maybe.....xlolx

xnonox

Gold thong? Borrow it from Jason Giambi? xeekxxlolx

ASUG8
September 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM
You're collectively obnoxious, but the obnoxious never think they're obnoxious. I know I'm being obnoxious to you right now, but it's for a reason ;) Trust me when I say, there are more than a few here who could live without some of the App State fans around here.

App fans need to eat the crow humbly without finding a need to respond every time someone calls you out.

No need to lump everyone together - there are plenty of examples from other schools represented on here. The trick is to either not read their posts or put them on ignore if they bother you. I don't have anyone on ignore, but there are some candidates (ASU folks included).

Bull Fan
September 15th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Understood. Just don't have blinders in that there are more App State fans ready to crow about anything they can, and are at the ready to cry foul when the tables turn and someone makes a comment on it. It comes across rather poorly to most others and like I said, gets rather obnoxious. Hence this minor barrage towards you guys in general.

That said, I'm not going to apologize for my slant on this.... it is time for the App St. fans to eat their share of crow, regardless that it's early in the season.

jonmac
September 15th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Bull Fan, you sure are hung up on this crow eating thing. Why should we be eating crow? What is the problem with fans expecting their team to be the best they've had based on information that fans of a particular school pay more attention to than people like you, who are fans of other schools. That is what fans do. Would it have been better if App fans had gone into this season thinking that we would be mediocre and long shots to win another championship? Yes, we are riding a high horse right now and rightfully so. It's nice up on this horse, I hope some of you, you included Bull Fan, get to experience it some time. Now if, at season's end, App fails to make the playoffs I'll be the firing up my grill for some barbecued crow. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. There's a lot of football left to play.

Bull Fan, maybe you should try getting behind whatever team it is you pull for and not worry so much about policing the fandom of other schools. If fans on this here message board didn't "crow" about their teams it wouldn't be near as much fun.

Bull Fan
September 15th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Arrogance and confidence are distinctly different. Appreciating what you have and "crowing" about it are also different... that's the point.

FormerPokeCenter
September 15th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I'm not sure what all the animosity is about. Now, granted, I don't follow a SoCon team (at least not until this past weekend) so I'm not familiar with the interaction between App Fans and anybody else.

Judging strictly on what I saw and experienced first hand on this message board and in Boone, I'd say that App State has perhaps the classiest fan base I've ever encountered, after my own Cowboy fans, of course...

I may be a bit biased, though. After this last weekend, I now have a second team to root for when I'm not cheering my Cowboys.....

Ich Bein Ein Mountaineer ;)

OL FU
September 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure what all the animosity is about. Now, granted, I don't follow a SoCon team (at least not until this past weekend) so I'm not familiar with the interaction between App Fans and anybody else.

Judging strictly on what I saw and experienced first hand on this message board and in Boone, I'd say that App State has perhaps the classiest fan base I've ever encountered, after my own Cowboy fans, of course...

I may be a bit biased, though. After this last weekend, I now have a second team to root for when I'm not cheering my Cowboys.....

I'm don't think the animosity is any different in the SoCon that anywhere else. And Bullfan is not a SoCon fan ( I don't think). Generally, when you deal with adult fans we like the competition and good natured ribbing. sometimes the student sections at some schools can be a little tough, but hell they are the ones that go there. xnodx

Bull Fan
September 15th, 2009, 10:03 AM
What you get on a message board ranges from friendship and respect to the knuckleheads that I'm aiming at. Of course not all App fans are like that, but they have their bad apples. Same goes for all schools.

On this board and anywhere else, the fans that talk the most about how great their teams are in an obnoxious way are the ones that deserve the return volley.

ASUG8
September 15th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Glad to be considered for this honor - thanks!

89Hen
September 15th, 2009, 11:00 AM

xpopcornx

Aho_Old_Guy
September 15th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hey, Bull Fan:

You are an A$$hole.

Who died and made you King of AGS? Are your brain synapses fired by fecal matter?

It's easy to be a prick on the internets but I have a suspicion you are one in real life, too.

Enjoy your pitiful life.

(I'm going on my vacation, now. I'll check back in in a week or so --- PM me if I need an extended trip ...)

Bull Fan
September 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Wow, I wonder if that warrants a "strike"?

jonmac
September 15th, 2009, 11:49 AM

Understood. Just don't have blinders in that there are more App State fans ready to crow about anything they can, and are at the ready to cry foul when the tables turn and someone makes a comment on it. It comes across rather poorly to most others and like I said, gets rather obnoxious. Hence this minor barrage towards you guys in general.

That said, I'm not going to apologize for my slant on this.... it is time for the App St. fans to eat their share of crow, regardless that it's early in the season.

What you get on a message board ranges from friendship and respect to the knuckleheads that I'm aiming at. Of course not all App fans are like that, but they have their bad apples. Same goes for all schools.

On this board and anywhere else, the fans that talk the most about how great their teams are in an obnoxious way are the ones that deserve the return volley.

So which is it? Are we all obnoxious or just some of us?
Confidence, arrogance and obnoxious are very subjective terms and their definitions, many times, lie in the eye of the beholder. I just don't think it's right to come on here and just throw out blanket derogatory statements against a group of people when there is no way you could factually back it up. xpeacex

Wow, I wonder if that warrants a "strike"?
Yes, it does. A bad apple, maybe? But definitely not representative of our fanbase as a whole. Come to Boone, get to know us. Have a civil conversation with us instead of jabbing.

Who is your team? Maybe we'll lock horns one of these days.xthumbsupx