PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Players of the Week

smallcollegefbfan
September 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Offense
QB Pat Grace, UNI
Sr., 6-2, 240, Sioux City (Iowa) Heelan High
 Grace accounted for 7 TDs, passed for 455 yards and led UNI to a 66-7 victory over South Dakota, while only playing only three plays into the second half. Grace passed for four scores and ran for three others in guiding the Panthers to a 52-7 lead with 8:23 left in the third quarter before departing the game. In addition to his 4 TD passes, Grace also had scoring runs of 1, 11 and 3 yards in the triumph. Grace’s total offense figure of 477 yards is fifth-best all-time in league history, while his passing yardage figure of 455 yards ranks No. 7 all-time.

Defense
LB Derek Domino, South Dakota State
Jr., 6-3, 230, Spring Lake Park (Minn.) High
 Domino recorded a game-high 11 tackles, including a sack and 1.5 tackles for loss, in South Dakota State’s 44-6 victory over Georgia Southern on Sept. 19. It marked the first-ever win against Georgia Southern for South Dakota State (in four tries). Domino also recovered a fumble as SDSU forced four turnovers, notched nine sacks and held the Eagles to their lowest point total since 1995.

Special Teams
PK Kyle Harris, South Dakota State
So., 5-10, 185, Florissant (Mo.) Hazelwood Central High
 Filling in for all-conference kicker Peter Reifenrath, Harris connected on 3-of-4 field goal attempts and all five extra-point tries for 14 points in the Jackrabbits’ 44-6 victory over Georgia Southern. Harris’ field goals covered 44, 37 and 40 yards, missing from 46 yards. His field goal attempts were the first of his career. He also recorded two touchbacks on kickoffs.

Thumper 76
September 13th, 2009, 04:43 PM
dang! Im glad we got two outta three here, but i did figure that danny batten would have won defensive player of the week with the sacks he had.

JackJD
September 13th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I don't know what criteria is applied in the selection process ... Derek Domino was outstanding as were several of his defense-teammates and I'm confident several Jackrabbits were considered for the honor.

smallcollegefbfan
September 13th, 2009, 04:52 PM
dang! Im glad we got two outta three here, but i did figure that danny batten would have won defensive player of the week with the sacks he had.

I think Batten is very underrated and is the 3rd best defensive end in FCS in my opinion. I would not be surprised to see him end up with 10-12 sacks this year and finish in the top 10 of the Buchanan Award voting.

89rabbit
September 13th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Derek looked great, and Kyle stepped in and looked great. I loved that some of his extra points cleared the roof of the Dykhouse Center! xcoolx

Jacks02
September 14th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I think Batten is very underrated and is the 3rd best defensive end in FCS in my opinion. I would not be surprised to see him end up with 10-12 sacks this year and finish in the top 10 of the Buchanan Award voting.

I agree. The thing with Batten is that he is so versatile. He's not just a DE, he drops into coverage and plays some linebacker at times as well. Gives our defense alot of different looks for teams to prepare for. Hopefully his lack of size doesn't hurt his chances to make the NFL, because he is one heck of a football player and a joy to watch on Saturdays.

EVSpanther
September 14th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Special Teams was fun to watch at the UNI-DOME on saturday because PK Billy Hallgren was taking off some heads of SD players on the returns. His stats: 8-for-8 XP, 1 FG (27), 4 special teams tackles, 2 forced fumbles. When do you see those last two numbers from your place-kicker!!! Good stuff!

Rabbitlivinginverm
September 15th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Special Teams was fun to watch at the UNI-DOME on saturday because PK Billy Hallgren was taking off some heads of SD players on the returns. His stats: 8-for-8 XP, 1 FG (27), 4 special teams tackles, 2 forced fumbles. When do you see those last two numbers from your place-kicker!!! Good stuff!

4 tackles and two forced fumbles from a place kicker? That's pretty sweet. He should have won the award. Although, when you kick off 32 times in a game he's bound to get in a the action...

leatherneck177
September 15th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Congrats, all very deserving.

JayJ79
September 15th, 2009, 04:10 PM
4 tackles and two forced fumbles from a place kicker? That's pretty sweet. He should have won the award. Although, when you kick off 32 times in a game he's bound to get in a the action...

to be honest, the rest of our kick coverage team wasn't that impressive (or perhaps USD has a good returner/return team), as the Coyotes average starting position after kickoffs (all 11 of them, I think) was the 30 yard line. Not terrible I suppose, but I'd prefer to see opposing teams start more in the vicinity of the 20

Gil Dobie
September 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Congrats xthumbsupx

3 reasons the Jacks and Panthers will be forces this year.

NorCalJack
September 15th, 2009, 04:41 PM
to be honest, the rest of our kick coverage team wasn't that impressive (or perhaps USD has a good returner/return team), as the Coyotes average starting position after kickoffs (all 11 of them, I think) was the 30 yard line. Not terrible I suppose, but I'd prefer to see opposing teams start more in the vicinity of the 20

I think the UNI coverage team just got tired of running down to make a tackle. The UNI special teams unit was rooting for the USD defense so they would not have to cover another kick.xlolxxlolxxlolx

blackpanther
September 16th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I think the UNI coverage team just got tired of running down to make a tackle. The UNI special teams unit was rooting for the USD defense so they would not have to cover another kick.xlolxxlolxxlolx
xbowxxbowxxbowxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx